New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Tides that Bind IC

Gregory studies the animals with a keen eye.

Spoiler: The Check
    Show
    Knowledge (arcana): (1d20+10)[28]

He greets the Warden with a bow of his head. "A prisoner was transferred to your custody recently, Warden Clavius. I had intended to see this particular prisoner here myself, but I was otherwise occupied; I am simply here to reassure myself that she arrived well and is securely locked away. She is quite dangerous."

Through all of this, Gregory has remained mounted.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

@Gregory: It is strange to see hounds as big as those around here. Back in the City, a creature like that would never be spotted at all.

These are the famed Hounds of the Castello, the Nethersight Mastiffs.

Trained by the Castellans of St. Noria for generations, these mastiffs are not merely overgrown dogs. These creatures are intelligent, enough to formulate sound tactics when bringing down their prey. And few are able to escape their jaws and especially their sight.

The Nethersight Mastiff is born with the ability to see things that the untrained eye would never even glimpse. An effect identical to the True Seeing incantation clerics of certain power are able to call, albeit at a costly price.

This makes these hounds the perfect scouts and guardians for a place such as this one, where a mage or some fool with a potion might attempt to sneak in, seemingly unnoticed.

Incredibly fast, strong and able to sniff out all kinds of hidden foes, it is no wonder that nobody in recorded history has been able to infiltrate the Castello...

Much less escape it.

Warden Clavius looks up at you, still mounted on Galavant and chuckles.

“Ah yes! Of course! A wild one was brought in from Halmathan earlier today. Not a patient of that accursed Scourge, oh no...

A killer, according to her file. Your church sent her here. All paperwork has been filed and she is now under my custody. Why then, come at such late hour to check on this criminal, Inquisitor du Vay?”

Clavius smiles and pets one of the hounds as it lowrs it’s massive head for his master.

“You haven’t taken a liking to her, have you? Heheheheee... heh! Apologies- it’s become less and less frequent to have an actual offender brought here, so I do get a tad elated to actually enforce the Law.

Transferring her to her cell resulted in one of my men losing an ear, a savage through and through.

She has already learned not to do it again, I can assure you that.”

The good warden gestures to the main door and smiles.

“I cannot imagine why you’d want to see a criminal like her- judgement has been passed already. But to deny such an outstanding member of the Cudgel would be most rude of me.

Of course, your valiant steed will have to remain here. You have been to the Castello before. This should be customary for you by now...”

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Gregory offers the Warden a wan smile. "I am pleased to hear she arrived safely. My condolences to your man on his ear -- hopefully one of the Healing Church can restore it. I confess, Warden, I was worried about the transfer of this particular prisoner, given her martial skill."

He gives a nod at one of the hounds. "And with your famed Nethersight Mastiffs, escape is of course impossible. Now that she is here, my worries are settled. I apologize for the late disturbance, Warden. I shall be on my way again."

With that, Gregory returns home.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kalir wasn't surprised the king wasn't available on the spot with no reason given. He has a quiet word with the advisor. "Of course. When the king is available, please let him know I have news for him regarding Hunters." He gives a polite nod and exits.

His next stop is the area where the coach driver lost his life. He heads to the City Guard district station for that area and asks for their commander. He keeps a friendly attitude, not inquisitorial whatsoever. "Greetings Commander. I am Kalir Kalaan. I meant to be here first thing this morning, my apologies. I'm here to discuss any incidents last night. A coach driver attacked? My duties kept me from remaining behind."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

At the confort and solitude of his rarher spacious room, Archmage take out his magic quill and put a blank scroll in the table, ordering it to go back to its writing frenzy.

Spoiler: Scrolls
    Show
    Having the quill scribe a scroll of Dimension Step

Looking at it scribing, he missed the old days when he did it by himself. That was before Amarille brought him the quill so that he haf no excuses to get out of his tower or to... Play chess.

"A shame you never met her, Thing", he says and feels lonely for once, "You would like her. She would give you a nice name like...", and true to his inability to name he adds, "Well, anything but Thing".

Not really tired to go trancing, Camus decide to cast a lenghty evocation on himself.

Spoiler: Contingency
    Show
    Casting Break Enchantment on self when failing a save against a curse, harmful enchantment, petrification or harmful polymorph

"Let's go get the library. Maybe we can convince someone there to let us look into the old beastiaries".

With that in mind he set out to one of Runestone's library, intended to discover what is the beast they fought the night prior.

Spoiler: Nightly Research
    Show
    Camus will spend the night looking at old tomes and beastiaries to see if he can figure out what the beast was.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

@Kalir: The advisor at the Royal Palace raises an eyebrow at your words before the door closes, but says nothing.

Thanks to your flight, you reach the site where you fought The. Crow and the massacre...

Not a single trace of blood, nor the smell of ashes from the body she was about to cremate. There are carriages- not many- but they have live passengers and aren’t overturned.

Your next stop is at the local precinct. Although the Commander isn’t present, a very respectful soldier by the nane of Callum Selma greets you with all the pomp and accolades a Royal Guard ought to be greeted with.

“Sir Kalaan, we are honored you would come see us, however, and please don’t take this the wrong way...

What incident last night? We have gotten no news of a coachman attacked, sir.”

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

@Gregory: The good warden chuckles at the mention of his injured man.

“Oh! That is just a flesh wound! She has already began learning the intricacies involved with a lack of discipline. Your visit actually gave me a break!”

You take a look at the Mastiffs and the Warden smiles.

“It is your job to send the worse here. Mine is to keep them. You will not have to worry about her anymore.”

The Warden looks at the guards up in the watch towers and raises his hand.

“Open the gate for the Inquisitor! Have a safe ride home, Sir Gregory. Tuck in tight in these cold nights...”

Well, you didn’t get to see her, but Sasha Surnam is now under the warden’s custody. To date, nobody has ever left St. Noria- it is a maximum security prison for a reason. Thankfully, people sent here aren’t many. Reason why Julienne and many other patients use most of the Castello to eventually heal.

The wizard has been dispatched by you and it is late already, so a day has been pretty much uneventful.

Everything is as it should be.

And so you return to Cuthbert’s Cathedral and settle in for the night, cold as it is.

@Camus: One thing a wizard always is...

He’s prepared. Halmathan may not be at war, but what good is this immense arcane knowledge if it’s left idle? The quill scribes again. And probably will for days to come. And as an extra precaution, you cast a very powerful incantation upon your mind, sheltering you from any harmful curse that may visit you...

But most likely never will.

Amarille’s portrait looks back silently at you while Thing states at it.

She would’ve come up with a good name. She was good like that. In every possible way...

No drinks tonight, as you head to the library, which is still open and spend a few hours browsing through the old bestiaries.

Dragons... a lot of information on them. Delving into their biology, mostly. But no dragons seen around hete even whenyou arrived, so who knows how accurate this information is.

Flora... a bunch of creatures evolved from regular vegetation. These books were penned by druids, so who knows if their veracity can be confirmed as absolute.

The restless dead... amusing tall tales. The churches here would scare any such creature away. There are no sightings of ghosts or some such other “jeepers creepers” in the City.

Supernatural fauna? Plenty- your familiar is one and many mages here have them. Chances are a few unique ones could be spotted at Glenndale...

But anything regarding that Beast of the Great Brudge? No.

Not mentioned even in passing.

8. - Top - End - #278

Kalir raises a curious eyebrow. Hmm, she really cleans up. Wonder how often those cleanups are needed?

"Hmm. Interesting. If you do hear of missing coachman from around here please get word to me."

He quickly changes the subject. "Callum Selma. Are you related to Sire Ilvan Selma? I was privileged to meet him just yesterday when he stopped by the royal barracks. Would you know where I could find him? I would be happy to pay him a visit."
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Daun jumps as the screeching creature arrives. To say it frightened her would be an understatement. She stands up and backs a few steps into the pond nervously. "What... what was that?"

She looks over at her massive dinosaur: thousands of pounds of muscle, spikes, and toughened scales, hiding behind a tree and poking out of both ends. "Oh, some help you were! Ok, that was stupid..."

She looks stubbornly at the horrible eye, and touches her face gingerly, wincing at the raw skin.

"Who would know something about this thing..? I decided I don't really want it any more..."

Daun thinks as she packs up her things and gives T'nauri a relieving pat on the side.

"It's okay buddy. Let's go see if that new archmage friend knows anything. Don't they study occult sh*t like this?"

Grabbing up her belongings, including the eye, she heads to Runestone in search of Archmage Camus.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

@Kalir: Crafty Crow...

Not a single trace of the bloodshed from the night prior. No one even mentioned it. She must be really good at cleaning up. Hiding her tracks, maybe?

You dealt with her before. If she rears her ugly beaked face again, you'll deal with her again. And for good this time.

Once at the constabulary, Callum nods and stands upright, like a true soldier of the City.

"Rest assured, sir- we will find any missing people. That is what we do. And should any such coachman surface, I will personally notify you of it."

Upon your query regarding his name, Callum Selma puffs his chest with pride.

"Yes sir! Ilven Selma, Helguard of the Old Order under Captain Ludwig. He is my father...""

Callum is quick to write down an address on a piece of paper and hands it to you.

"...he isn't in any trouble, I hope? He should be home. It isn't far from here. Especially if you're flying...

But he didn't do anything...bad, did he?"

@Daun:
    What the hell was that?

T'nauri, for his impressive size and strength, didn't even get up to help you. Something you chide him for once your own mental prowess shoos that presence away.

And then you look at that ghastly eye, floating inside its container...

Maybe you should've let Morrick keep it. Let him be haunted by whatever comes along with it, but too late now. Who knows if you'll see that guy again. However, there is one guy that could very well know what this thing is.

Although druids have been called by a few naysayers as 'pagans', they are really short sighted individuals who do not understand how to properly commune with Nature. It has its secrets. Some are as wonderful as they are deadly, but it's a part of the Natural World.

This thing doesn't look natural. The Churches might just as well squish that damn eye and be done with it, but what about someone who's spent years studying this occult crap?

Archmage Camus is about to get a nightly visit as you tug the gruesome purchase in its bag and beckon T'nauri to come with to Runestone.

Now, the City is big. One of the biggest in the world. Because of that, the roads are wide, enough to allow a multitude of carriages to drive by and hopefully, not generate traffic. That isn't the issue.

A mule drawn cart in the middle of the night may warrant no attention.

A carriage speeding by may cause a few people to raise their heads in attention, wondering where they are headed...

But when you travel with a twenty thousand pound triceratops- be it riding it or following you like an obedient puppy, people notice. Entire streets rumble and buildings shake under the moonlit sky. Lights turn on in various houses as faces peep through the curtains, with many screaming in horror. They know of the big animals druids have, but keep those in the park. Where they belong.

Not out at night, when people are already spooked. But who cares anyways, right? You are a druid- you earned the right to have a dinosaur stampeding around Halmathan. What possible repercussions could that have?

It takes almost an hour before T'nauri stops its massive bulk in front of the Gates of Runestone. Closed now, except for a couple of statues- a noble Gryphon and the fabled Chimera, whose eyes light up with green flame and look at each other, then at you and especially your companion before speaking in unison:

"Who comes to this House of Knowledge?"

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Daun does her best to pay no attention to the nervous folks watching T'nauri. He's a big softie, he can't help it if he's big and intimidating.

She jumps when confronted by the stone chimaera. Damn, this rotten eye had her thoroughly spooked today.

"Umm, Daun Tersetti. And T'nauri.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Gascoigne clearly liked to label things, given the brooch and the music box. Perhaps another name would be found among his effects. Ilvan takes the gloves and looks around the house to be polite, although he’s doubtful he could find anything the Guard had missed.

He stops before the portrait. Hard to believe this was the same Gascoigne that took such delight in trying to kill him.”Happier times. Yes, I’m sure that’s the fellow. Never saw that side of him myself.” No, just the insane and murderous ones.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show

It’s only polite, since he offered. :P
    Search: (1d20+4)[23]

“No reports?” Confusing. Surely Kalir would have- unless it were to be kept under wraps for some reason. Hunters did complicate matters after all, good thing he hadn’t been forthcoming about that. “I may not be at liberty to discuss details of the... incident, in that case. I’d best go figure that one out. Thank you for your time, and I hope Henriett is found soon. These streets are dangerous of late.”

Yes, best find Kalir and figure out exactly what had and had not been officially reported. He sets off to the Guard house.

13. - Top - End - #283

"Your father? Impressive. I will be sure to compliment him on how well his son has turned out. Is he in trouble? I hope not. It would be my honor to visit him. Thank you for the address. Keep up the good work." He salutes Callum and heads off.

Kalir heads towards the Mare from last night on foot. It's good to walk at times too, not so aloof to the others of the city. His weapons are strapped peacefully to him. Thresher to his hip and the axe to his back between his wings with the end of the handle high enough to reach over his shoulder for. Both have straps with snaps that come apart when pressure is applied at the right angle. He meets any looks with a friendly smile.

It's past dusk so there aren't so many out. He enters the Mare and approaches the innkeeper. The raptoran apologizes for suddenly leaving last night and asks if there were any problems after he left last night. Getting his answers and with plenty to do still he decides against taking a break to eat. He thanks the innkeeper, nods hello to anyone looking his way, and heads back out.

He pulls out the note from Callum and uses the light coming out of the tavern to read the address. Kalir puts the note back into a secured pocket and takes to the air, headed to see the Arrow of God. Once at Sir Ilven's residence he knocks firmly.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

@Camus: Already tucked in bed with a bunch of books checked out from Runestone's Library, you watch the candle on your bedside table begin to flicker as Thing snores lightly by your side.

Nothing on the creature fought the night prior. Perhaps you may have to write a whole treatise detailing these new foes... for posterity. And then, the voice.

Runestone has a pair of massive statues placed outside its gate. They are not merely for decor, though- long ago, these were given a sliver of sentience. Enough to question outsiders, get information from them and relay it to those mages who have attained a significant power within the Academy.

The statues aren't perfect, though. If the visitor doesn't state who they are looking for, the message is relayed one by one, to every wizard who'd be linked to the arcane communication. It is expected for guests to Runestone, usually first timers, to state their name and purpose. A familkiar name within campus is ideal to get the message quickly...

But whoever it is outside, did not state as much, as several disgruntled voices- both male and female, chime in at once, intertwined with the message from the statues:

..... I know not who this person is. But a dino! Looks so cute!

Ughh! Didn't they leave a sign outside for this?

.... why is there a triceratops at our door?

Who called Druids here?!

Runestone is closed! Someone let that uninvited person know!

Blast it, I say...blast it to kingdom come!

Nooooooo... no blasting! Someone who knows this Daun go check this out. Immediately, please?

Those are the voices of the Grand Masters. Griswold isn't among them- he must've slept through the message, but they don't sound happy to have been either awakened or interrupted from whatever business they must be working in at this late hour. However, the message does ring very familiar to you:

"Umm, Daun Tersetti. And T'nauri.

Daun the druid..here? And at this hour. Oh well.

Thing just watches you put on one of your many robes and yawns as it remains curled in the warm bed as you cross campus towards the gate and this one, on cue, opens for you, showing Daun Tersetti and her:

Yeah... that's a dinosaur, alright. Big one, too. Hopefully she has it well domesticated. Should it become rampant, the mages here would be quick to turn it into cinders. Having said that, stranger beings have been seen on campus. Not that many of them were expected, but far more dangerous than this prehistoric lizard.

@Daun: So T'nauri is big...and?

He has every right to tromp and stomp through the City. He is a creature of nature. Taming one such as he is no easy feat and you did it, scared commoners be damned.

The gates open and Camus looks up at your companion.

In retrospect, the Archmage is very, very small compared to T'nauri. A single stomp from your friend and the elf would be an arcane mush on the ground. But you didn't come here to pick up a fight with a wizard.

You came to have him check on this thing in your bag. if anyone knows what it is, that would be Camus.

@Ilven: So he was a family man...

That portrait depicts him in a very different light than what you painfully experienced the night prior. What drove a man like him to such horrific acts? His wife dead. He's gone up in flames and now his little girl missing...

End of a legacy. And what a tragic end indeed.

The guard turns to look at you.

"You knew him? I had never seen this man before. Like I said earlier, he was very private about his life. Same for his family.""

There is something about that portrait, though. You never had a chance to see him well at Oedon's Tomb- blood loss will really mess up your vision, but this evening, with better lighting...

Why does he look familiar? Something about him...damn. Old age must be playing tricks on you. You are familiar with him- his axe and vicious claws mostly, but best not elaborate into that.

And although you are told not to touch anything, you do. Because you are a Helguard and who would oppose your actions? Of course, the house has been thoroughly checked. Nothing out of the ordinary other than the brooch and music box, now at the tinker shop.

"There are no reports, sir. We patrolled the streets all night. Found nothing out of the ordinary. Our K9 units did seem a bit on edge, but we found nothing to raise an alarm. We will, of course, devote all our resources into finding the little girl. That's a promise. Have a good night, Sir Ilven."

A massacre at Oedon's Tomb with several bodies and by sheer luck, yours and Kalir's were not among them... and nothing? Not even the town cryer or the printed press? Hungters are said to be sneaky. hell, they are said to be many things. But this is just ridiculous.

Someone had to be a witness to this. Hell, someone would be missing a lot of people given how many bodies were chopped up. Well, nothing else to do here. Maybe the City Guard will find Henriett and after years of intense therapy, she'll grow up to be a good girl, just like in that portrait.

She deserves that much.

With the streets already dark and lamp posts lit amidst the roiling fog, you head back to the barracks, where, as always, you are greeted by the few Royal Guards still in training and when you ask for Kalir, one of them gives you a military salute, clacking his heels together.

"Helguard Selma! An honor to have you here again! Kalir Kalaan left awhile back. He did not say where to, though. Come to inspect the Royal Guard? You are a living legend after all. These barracks where used by you and Captain Ludwig years before many of us were even born.

Don't be a stranger."

What this young scamp says is true- Captain Ludwig and the Helguard, which included a much younger version of you, would live here. Always training for the perils outside. Prayer was usual- might as well be the last one.

However, despite your unspoken rivalry with the Holy Blade, he always lead all of you valiantly into battle, always at the front. A truer definition of chivalry has yet to be written that surpasses him.

@Kalir: Callum blushes a bit and then clears his throat, standing once again at attention, like a good soldier.

"And proud of it, sir! My father is a National Hero. He is an inspiration to me and anyone who would decide to protect this City, for which he risked his life countless times.

I will keep up the post here, sir. Have a safe evening.""

Who knows if the young Selma can ever surpass his father. You saw him shoot a beast of a man and never once missed a single shot. Reason why they call him The Arrow of God, for only a deity would have such sharp skills with a bow.

The Golden Mare has nothing to report- people come in. They eat and drink. some check in, and then off they go.

There is a certain feel with walking the street rather than flying overhead. The axe is heavy, but it shouldn't be much of a problem for a trained Royal Guard such as yourself as you are about to take off into the cold night skies and can swear someone is watching you... only for nobody to be on sight.

Perhaps your previous encounters have left you a tad jumpy as you take to the skies and and check the address several times, skipping the roads below and alleys before you land in front of an old house matching the address.

A two story complex. It looks old and needs some fresh paint, but if this is where Ilven lives...

The knock is firm...and remains like that for a full minute.

But Sir Ilven Selma never comes out to greet you.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: The Tides that Bind IC

"I know her and will go check it", he says both mentally as well as out loud, as he get up and dress up before flying his way to the gate, where he lands and open it.

That sure is a big dinosaur.
    "Good night, Miss Daun. I was actually looking for you today but couldnt find you in Glendale", he greets her, "What can Runestone do for you this late?".
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"Oh, hi Camus! You're actually just who I wanted to see. Wait, you were?

Oh... Sorry, I kind of... Slept the whole day away for some reason. I found some... Well some thing that seems to be harassing people in Glenndale. I have it with me: I'm not really sure what it is, but I was hoping you could take a look. I would guess is something necromantic, but that's kind of out of my wheelhouse. I know I'm coming pretty late, but I can't help but feel like it might have something to do with the beast on the bridge last night.

But what were you looking for me for?"
    Show

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Ilvan worries at Gascoigne’s familiarity like one worries at a toothache for the trek to the Guardhouse. He had known many people during his time in the Guard; perhaps it was nothing more than a familial resemblance to someone long dead.

He returns the Guard’s salute reflexively. Kalaan. Excellent, now the Dragonslayer had a surname, even if he was out and about. Well, any missed connection was Ilvan’s own fault for staying in bed all day like a sulky adolescent.

While it may be night, Ilvan had woken up fairly recently and is not ready to return home just yet. May as well satisfy nostalgia if he couldn’t sate curiousity. ”An inspection? Hardly. If you’re offering though, I wouldn’t mind taking a look at how the old place has fared. To whom does Kalir Kalaan report, in any case? I may have business with them instead.” Best use the name now he has it, not risk forgetting.

18. - Top - End - #288

Kalir listens while waiting and hears nothing. "Heh, not that unexpected. Another time then."

He flies up above the roof and looks around to get familiar with the area for next time. It's after dark, but still plenty of time before he needed to rest. Where to now? The Archmage, Daun... too late to go looking for them now. The Dragon Flight. The trip aboard it had the unknown incident supposedly below the Cathedral District. Yes, there next. He climbs a bit more and heads towards the Cathedral District. He does a fly over, as he's done many a time before. Seeing nothing out of the ordinary from the sky he heads back to the barracks.

He lands atop the main entrance to the barracks and sits on the edge of the roof, feet dangling as they do in flight. Very few pass along the city street below at this hour. The peace and quiet is relaxing and is a great opportunity to meditate since the previous day had been very full and today very short...

The Dragon Flight. He wonders what the Gazette had to say about it. Will have to ask tomorrow. He had no need for transportation under the city like that since he had his own direct means above the city. For most people it would be a boon, as long as the passenger safety and safety of the air was kept as promised. He found it hard to believe that nothing had been found underground while digging. No way they would let it be known though. It would be cause for concern.

Daun. A friend in the Park but he hadn't known much of her outside of it short of her protests. It was good for her to keep others on their toes. His own discipline with the Iron Heart and Diamond Mind paths of the Sublime Way tended to overpower the semi-controlled rage of Tiger Claw. That plus being part of the Royal Guard required at least some sense of Order was having an effect on him. Was it too much?... Daun seemed to have caught the King's eye. Was it a true interest or part of the gala's dance to mess with other hopefuls?

The Archmage. He hadn't met him before. Was he one of the ones Zanthar had talked about? There are so many wizards at Runestone. He must be one of their best if he had reached that rank. He asked good questions about the train. Hopefully the answers he got were truthful. Having so many nobles about meant the truth took second priority over image. He was glad not to have to dance that dance.

Father Gascoigne was it? Seemed like he had nearly killed the Arrow of God and that was as a man. It was a situation he knew well enough, an archer doesn't do so well when a warrior or beast gets in his face. The number of arrows in the father attested to the helguard's ability to deal with the situation anyway. It was close though. Does Sir Ilven not train with and carry a melee weapon? When the man turned into the beast, what was that? The Crow called it bloodlust but what was it? Something magical? Something everyone had the potential to become? He doubted that, else it would be a more common event and at some point occur without a Hunter around to cover it up. The City had lost a Hunter and only three people of a million knew of it. How many Hunters were there? How many left?

That axe. Just how powerful was it? It would take more study, in a better controlled environment. No need to damage the barracks or accidentally behead someone. Maybe he could use it better when enlarged by magic. He only had one magical potion to do that and they weren't cheap. Maybe he could better use it if the strength enhancements from his belt were improved again? If he were to keep the axe it would grant him a wider variety of fight options. The Hunters and their trick weapons. The king knew more about it all. Hopefully the advisor passed along the message and a private audience could be had. He would check with the king before asking the Archmage about the axe. High level secrets must be kept. The Crow apparently did that well.

The Crow. Can't believe what took place in the city streets, that he ended up fighting her and they had nearly killed each other. Who and why were the men killing before the Crow got to them? How did the Crow know of so much going on across the city? Kalir replayed the fight in his head several times, analyzing both of their moves. Her mask must what allows her to bypass his invisibility. Unexpected but he had faced enemies like that before. That cloak's ability to hit at range and hide it was a real surprise. Was that a spell doing the hit or did she really move with the crows to hit me? She had her own special weapon, weapons?

The Crow was not an enemy. It took time during that fight but gratefully they both came to understand that. So the Hunters still hunted. So many questions to be asked. She was arrogant. Wouldn't be surprising if she tried putting him into his place. There was no need though. He respected who she was. She had answers he wanted, needed. Would she find him soon? Tonight?

Kalir continued his meditation for while more then called it a night, returning to his room in the barracks.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

@Ilven: A familiar face...

Many people joined the Helguard during its heyday. The promise of Glory and Gold was not what promoted these men and women to cut a swath of blood through the untamed wilderness.

It was devotion. Devotion to a cause- for the City. To expand it and make it the grand urban sprawl it is today. At its center, was Ludwig the Holy Blade. It was he who trained many of you into the ways of the Helguard- how to combat impossible odds and emerge triumphant. To date, legends are sung about him- how he was chosen by the Heavens themselves and blessed him with strength and a weapon that no man could ever forge. His guiding Light in the unforgiving Darkness that you plunged yourself into.

Needless to say, faces came and went in those marches. Death was your closest companion out there. Always her cold reassuring hand at your shoulder. There were no room for mistakes. Blink, hesitate for a mere second... and you and your entire team were dead. And that was that.

Maybe that is why the King disbanded your Order so long ago. You weren't there for the particulars. You were there for your honorable discharge, though. With all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it. A Hero of the People, through and through...

A legend.

As for Gascoigne? Who knows- just another man gone mad. A strong man. A beast of a man... but what else is there to follow through? You saw many faces in the Helguard and many that your mind has thankfully erased, given how they ended out there.

Once at the barracks, that sense of nostalgia washes through as the young guard leads you to the old bunks were you and your comrades would sleep for a few hours and sharpen your tools of the trade before the bell ringer announced your call into battle.

Nothing luxurious about it- simple beds with a rack for your weapons beside it and small shrines devoted to the many gods your comrades prayed to swiftly before heading out. Today, these barracks still see use, but for the Royal Guard. Not like they have the same deathly urgency as you did back in the day.

No need for blood baths against insurmountable odds. These men and women know that they will see each other come sunrise. That at least, you can pat yourself on the back for.

As for the Raptoran Dragonslayer, the guard looks at you and smiles.

"You have been away for a long time, Sir Ilven. Kalir and many here report to Sergeant Maxil Trentis, but in reality, he is at the same rank as most of us. it's just that his aasimar legacy grants him clout.

In regards to direct authority within the Royal Guard, that would fall upon Captain Ludwig. But he has been absent for a very long time. It is Lady Callewyn Godefroy, Shield Maiden of the City that holds such lofty title. I would state Valtr as a point of reference, however...

She is the highest ranking member in the Royal Guard, but she isn't here now... unless you'd like me to arrange an audience with her?"

@Kalir: The Old Helguard isn't home... of course.

Ilven's home isn't that grand- he has an open terrance on the second floor with archery dummies, all riddled with arrows. A testament to his title. Finding this house should be easy enough if you decide to fly overhead. Not many practice with the bow and arrow. Not unless you're in the military.

It's dark already as you take a flight over Cathedral Ward. This part of the City is gigantic as the fog rolls through the streets below and envelops even the highest buildings, many of which are gothic clock towers entwined with enormous trees.

The distant chanting of night prayers can be heard below, as can lanterns moving through the narrow streets. People here are very devout, or so they say. Halmathan is a City of many faiths and Cathedral Ward lives up to its name, swearing allegiance to the Healing Church, forever devoted to cleansing the minds and bodies of the hurt and downtrodden.

Nothing to see here tonight as you keep flying towards the barracks and the cold air washes through your dark feathers, as do a myriad of thoughts.

Although you aren't a native born here, there is now ay a City as big as this just sprang off the ground. Even if the nobles made it appear like a small commune turned city. They dug tunnels down there... and found nothing? They say it was only rocks. But really? You are raptoran- you are at home amidst the clouds, cruising through the gales, but you have been to caverns before- that's where you fought dragons back in the day. The earth below has secrets. Most of which are kept that way... and for good reason. But would the SMC know this?

Then there's the people you met- Daun the Druid, a voice for the Ehlonnians. Crusader against the urban sprawl the Captains of Industry champion so loudly and expensively. You know what a druid can do when angered... not a pretty sight. Which leads you to the other person you met.

Archmage Camus. The title alone should give anyone with a sliver of common sense pause. Whereas a druid can command the power of Nature, a wizard is able to tap into powers beyond that, weaving and unweaving things that a mortal mind like yours would never be able to comprehend and if you're lucky, die on the spot. Could Master Zeni even be able to deal with him? she is know for being a 'mage killer'. It is said that wizards flee from her in abject fear... but such a tale has yet to be put to the test.

Still, Runestone sent him to inquire about the SMC's projects. Hopefully he can glean some answers.

You need some yourself after what happened the night prior.

The Crow.. an enemy? Maybe. Had your fight be prolonged, who would have emerged victorious? Hard to say. You hit her pretty hard with Thresher and left her limping. She used techniques never seen before and cut you deep. A duel for another day? Hopefully not.

Then there was that monster...Gascoigne. Truth be told, a dragon would have been an easier target than him given how he fought. A beast, just like The Crow described, but how?

What is this bloodlust she spoke of? How many were affected? Are affected? Why isn't the entire City in a panic about it? No news whatsoever of the fight you had and massacre witnessed. Like it never happened. Maybe it's time to yell the truth to the four winds. Raise some noise. Make it clear to all. Keep them alert...

If you knew what you're dealing with. A man turned into a beast... how? Who knows, but it better be an isolated case. If more like Gascoigne showed up in packs...

You need to get an audience with his majesty as soon as possible. Let him know what you've seen. Send an army to the streets. Clean it all up... when you get a chance to have an audience with him, which should be soon, given what you mentioned.

But now, it's late. Nothing out of the usual tonight as you land on the barracks and get ready to call it a night, when...

The Old Helguard Selman can be seen inspecting the barracks. he hasn't seen you, but given your vantage point, you have a clear shot of him.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

"Parties usually do that to people", he says and gove both of them space to enter, "As do fighting. And necromancy you say? Hmmmm".

The archmage take a look around the campus "If you dont mind, let's not walk around with your pet: most people are sleeping and disturbing a wizard in his sleep is a serious offense. It would be nice too if you tell the doorkeepers who you're looking for next time. I wasnt asleep, but many were".

Once they're inside and the gate is closed, he look at the prehistoric beast, "You want to talk it here in the open or prefer a more private place? Unless we polymorph it, your dinosaur probably will have to stay here".

If she prefers to talk at the entrance, he nod and continue talking. Else he take her to his room and start to warm up some water for tea.

"Inquisitor du Vay met me earlier today and asked me and my raven familiar with impressive healing powers to help him divine and investigate about that beast we fought. So we went there looking for you, but Glendale is too big so we decided to start our investigation tomorrow at the bridge. If you're interested in joining in and if you have some information that may be related, you would be welcome".

"As for necromancy... It sadly is t my area if expertise, but I might be able to help. What make you believe the beast was necromancy-related?".

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

@Camus: Yeah....

That’s a big lizard. Druids are known for having a wild animal as their companion or pet. The concept is similar to your familiar, but in outer appearance only.

Thing can outsmart a regular man at a game of chess. This... T’nauri?

He’s a two ton prehistoric herbivore with the brain the size of a pea. Not the best combination, but druids love flaunting their pets.

The triceratops will most definitely not fit in your chambers, let alone through your door. His steps alone cause several windows around campus to light up- wizards have been awakened.

Despite all the wondrous rings that deprive you of the horrors of eating and sleeping- because they surely must be vile godly punishments fit to be annulled with a ring- a practitioner of the arcane arts requires at least eight hours of uninterrupted rest in order for their mind to tap into power few can understand let alone witness.

The sight of T’nauri isn’t strange- field trips to Glenndale are common, especially during the first year at Runestone. People here know what he is. It’s why he’s here that must have them peeking through the windows.

And although it is doubtful they will blast the beaked brute since you are next to it and you are an Archmage, you let Daun know to inform the gate keepers who she is looking for next time.

As for Necromancy? Not a school you specialize in. In fact, you banned it completely from your studies.

Are there necromancers in Runestone? Yes.

Will you find one tonight if you knock on each door on campus? Most likely.

Will they attend to this matter... whatever it may be in the service of a stranger? Take a guess...

There is the Grand Necromancer in the Tower of Magi... allegedly- nobody knows how many there are but you know one represents Abjuration, so by logic, there must be seven more.

Good luck getting in, though.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Daun looks a bit sad, but nods. "Keep Runestone safe from any more beasts, buddy." she says with a humorous smile and a pat on his beak. As if Runestone didn't already have defenses of its own.

She follows Camus up to his tower as they chat. As they get to his quarters, she pulls out the eye. "This is what makes me think necromancy. I bought this off a guy named Morrick who found it in Hemwick Lane. Shortly after he found it, he was attacked Glenndale by some horrid beasts: not things that live there. It could be a coincidence that a beast mysteriously showed up last night as well, but when odd things like this happen, I tend to assume they're related until I see otherwise."

She sighs and sits back. "Be cautious though if you do decide to look into it. I tried Scrying the thing that the eye belongs to: some... Thing, some specter felt my presence and attacked me. It was... So cold..."

She laughs honest, joyfully at thinking she was just a familiar. "Ha, and make your weasle jealous? I could never...

But yeah, I'll meet you tomorrow at the bridge. I want to talk get to the bottom of this mystery. What time?"
    Show

23. - Top - End - #293

Kalir approaches. "Sir Ilven. Welcome. We meet 3 times in 2 days. Impressive. I had just stopped by your place to chat." He turns to the royal guard with Ilven. "Good evening Marcus, how is the evening going?"
    Show

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

In his room, Camus is taken off-guard as the druid show him an eye-in-the-jar.
    "What a disgusting thing! There was a reason I banned Necromancy", he close his and shrugs, "and it came from Hemwick Lane? No wonder".

He ask her to cover the thing back, "It's said there are practicioners of the old magic: witchcraft and big bad voodoo. Dark rituals and sacrifices, blood magic involving...", he points to the jar, "Body parts and organs".

"And it looked back to you? Hmmm... Maybe its some sort of cursed item that make the carrier the target of some kind of hunt. Anyway, I would keep it always covered least it spy on you. As for the cold? Many negative energy-based spells leave a shivering feeling. And hexes and curses belong to Necromacy, yes".

"It could also be some kind of abjuration or even an illusion to prevents scrying".

"And I dont blame him: wizards are known for their secrets, after all. Let's meet two hours after dawn at the bridge and meet with the inquisitor. Be ready to fight any beast that might show up, but also to help me divine it. And if you dont mind, let me keep the eye: it's way safer here in Runestone than in Glendale and if you take it back home with you, you might attract some beasts tonight. The one we fought was almost the size of your dinosaur, if not a little bit taller. I could teleport you back home and back, but after our last dimensional stroll I guess that's out of question".

He thinks for a moment, "I could also let you sleep here: there is plenty of space, but I'm affraid they dont allow to keep parked dinousaurs here at Runestone".

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Good to see the old place again, to have the memories stirred.

It had been a long time, Ilvan supposed. Still a shoddy excuse to forget the specifics of rank.
    “Ah, thank you. No need to bother Lady Godefroy over such a small matter if she is not here.” and it really was a small matter, after all. He could just leave a note for Kalir Kalaan-

Quote Originally Posted by Cavir View Post
    Kalir approaches. "Sir Ilven. Welcome. We meet 3 times in 2 days. Impressive. I had just stopped by your place to chat." He turns to the royal guard with Ilven. "Good evening Marcus, how is the evening going?"
    So the Guard was Marcus... plenty of new names today. ”Funny, I had come here to do the same thing. If we may have a moment, Marcus?”

Once they’re a little less observed, Ilvan gets right to the business that brought him here.”Last night’s activities weren’t reported through the usual channels- I don’t need to know why, but I would at least like to know how much we aren’t supposed to say.”

He thinks guiltily back to his misstep at the girl’s house and looks up at Kalir Kalaan. Even if you didn’t include the wings, the raptoran was tall enough to make him feel like a halfling. “I may have already told one of the Guardsmen too much- hadn’t realized it wasn’t common knowledge. The madman’s girl has up and disappeared too. Do you think our feathered friend had anything to do with it?” Perhaps not the best term to use to refer to the Crow, especially when speaking to the very feathered Dragonslayer. Was that insensitive? Ah well, too late to take it back now.
    Last edited by aReallyGreatAxe; 2018-12-26 at 01:09 AM.

26. - Top - End - #296

Kalir

"I went back to where I first met her. There was no sign of trouble. I had left her about to burn at least one body but now I can't even catch the scent of death or burning. However she does it she is extremely thorough. No wonder no one knows Hunters are still active. I queried the local watch and there wasn't any record of an incident either. Strangely enough, it was your own son I talked to. Quite the boy, congratulations. He is keeping an ear out for a missing coachman for me."

"Did she have anything to do with the girl? No idea. If she did I don't think it would be for ill purpose. I was hoping the one with the feathered cloak would find me tonight but no such luck."

"Just before my first encounter I was with an archmage and druid. I plan to find them tomorrow and see if they heard or saw anything last night."

"As for how much to say? I put a word to in try to speak to the king directly on the issue. Until then I think everything except the missing girl should be kept quiet. The Hunters have dealt with their own to this point. No need to discredit them or to cause general panic."

"May I entice you to stay here for the night Sir Ilven? A chance to reminisce if that is not a source of bad memories and we can inquire with the king tomorrow. Your presence may help things along."
    Show

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

@Camus: An eye in a jar... brought from Hemwick?

You have heard of that place. Never been to it, though. One of the old villages outside Halmathan. Recluse the whole lot, military patrols do not go there and with good reason:

It is said that those who live in Hemwick follow the Old Ways. Rituals done under a red moon. Magic considered too foul ands vile to be taught here. Would Necromancy be involved? Most likely, but Runestone is not a place where blood rituals are conducted. Blood is an important ingredient in some incantations, but a small droplet from the caster is all that's needed, at best.

If what you heard about Hemwick is true, we're talking gallons. Tales speak of a pagan community there, utterly isolated. The word 'witch' has been thrown about in the odd times such a place has been brought up in conversation, but such a title can really apply to anyone here as well, especially from mundanes who cannot grasp the intricacies of arcane knowledge.

Is this hideous eye related to the Beast you, Daun and Gregory fought the night prior? Who knows. The druid seems convinced it is. Does it warrant a trek to that village, though...?

Something to ponder come the morrow. It is late and as you peek out your window, you can see T'nauri sampling Runestone's grass by the beak full. They won't like their pristine campus ruined by a hungry dinosaur come morning, that's for sure. And if T'nauri behaves like any pet, once it has eaten its full, it will defecate and mark its territory.

Yeah... the gardeners will love that come morning. The invitation is extended, though:

Your room is rather spacious- not for the dino, but it will accommodate Daun in an extra bed easily. How she goes about her gigantic lizard of a companion is up to her, but getting ahold of Gregory early tomorrow at the Great Bridge is a good start. You missed an entire day and there are still a bunch of loose ends to tie up as the eye is bequeathed to you and immediately covered, just in case.

@Ilven: It's good to see the old barracks still in use.

Well, not exactly as you used them back in the day. Many return trips had a bunch of those bunks empty whereas they held brave men and women just hours before the call to arms. Not today, though. Not ever, thank the gods.

The Royal Guard Marcus stands at attention once Kalir swoops down.

"As you wish, Sir Ilven. I wish more of the Old Helguard would come here as often as you. You are an inspiration to us all. Have a good evening, sir.""

Marcus salutes the raptoran and walks away, as you take a last look at the old barracks and discuss the daily events with the feathered Royal Guard.

A small gaffe with the City guard... but aren't they supposed to know? It is their job. Your son's job as well, to keep this City safe. Why isn't nobody aware...are you supposed to not be aware of this yourself?

A little girl goes missing, looking for parents long dead. If the City Guard cannot find Henriett... The Crow will. An overzealous murderer, she may decide the child is a beast too and put her down. An act of "mercy" as she called it the night prior when deciding Gascoigne's fate at Oedon's Tomb.

A whole lot of horrid things are happening here and nobody bats a single eyelash. Who do you go to for this? Who has the skills and strength and knowledge to deal with this nightly threat?

And then you spot it:

Resting on Kalir's back, that bloody axe Gascoigne chased you with and nearly ended your life. Why is he keeping that foul blade?

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"A hunt? I'm not really sure what you mean, but maybe we'll find out more tomorrow. Thanks Camus, I'll leave the eye with you. I'll meet you tomorrow at the bridge, but for tonight I think I'll just head back to Glenndale. Have a good night Camus."

With that, Daun and T'nauri head back to Glenndale.

Spoiler
    Show
    If nothing happens between Runestone and her Grove at Glenndale, Daun well cat Heal to fix her wounds from yesterday, and to hopefully remove the scarring.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

"By hunt I mean like an object that cause the cursed item to attract monsters", he says and take the eye. Better to keep an eye on it himself as Runestone is probably way safer than other places in Hamalthan: it's the home of wizards after all.

"Try not to oversleep", he advice the druid and bid farewell to her and her dinosaur.

Once alone, the mage look at the covered jar and look at his spellbook. He better be well prepared for tomorrow if they really plan on checking out that accursed place.

Casting an abjuration around the jar and one on himself, the archmage get ready to sleep along with Thing.

Spoiler: Abjurations
    Show
    Greater Alarm in a 20ft radius around the eye-in-a-jar. It lasts for 60 hours (2 days and half).
    It works like Alarm, but also works on creatures on coterminous planes (like Ethereal and Shadow Plane, but not Astral). It will be a mental alarm. He''s setting Amarille as the password, but wont tell anyone.

He'll also use an Energy Immunity spell to become immune to Cold for the next 24h. It also protects Thing.

He then give in to sleep, trancing in his room while he wait dawn to meet up Daun and Inquisitor du Vay.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

@Camus: If this thing has necromancy involved and is able to bring harm, who better suited than an abjurer such as yourself to watch over it?

Daun will not be staying tonight, as she walks out the main gates with thunderous T'nauri, back to Glenndale. The eye remains here with you. Covered, you cast a powerful incantation, setting your eyes on the portrait of your dearly beloved and then pat Thing on the head before both are covered in a harmless fiery aura that dissipates just as quickly as it came into being.

And with all that done, off to bed- for real this time.

Day 3

@The Party: Whether praying at Cuthbert's Cathedral, studied extensive volumes of arcane power, having washed away your scars at your grove or slept in the barracks of the Royal Guard...

A new day shines above Halmathan. No longer dusk, but not exactly sunny. It is rather overcast. Chance of rain, most likely. But that doesn't stop the millions of people to go about their daily business.

For Daun, a simple envelope with the seal of the Healing Church is delivered by Eari, concern in her face.

Spoiler: Letter to Daun
    Show
    Daun Tersetti,

We value the power of druids in this City and the wondrous beasts they are able to tame and claim as their own. However, in Lady Silvarel's absence, I must fill in for her.

T'nauri is not to leave the confines of Glenndale. His presence alone may cause unexpected reactions from the populace at large. As such, please confine your companion to Glenndale Park.

That is all,

Vicar Amelia

Whether you pay attention to this letter or not, you have a meeting with the Archmage at the Great Bridge. Being so early, the park only has druids, tending to the Park itself. In a few hours, this place will be flooded with visitors, as is customary.

@Camus:
    The streets are busy already, despite the early hours. The Great Bridge bears not a single scratch from the night you fought here. As if it never happened, as you lean against the bridge and look down below to your reflection on the water below.

If the others are quick, they should convene here and start your investigation- possibly trek- outside the City.