New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: The Tides that Bind IC

On the Bridge:

Ilven holds very still as T'nauri sniffs him. The horse-sized beast looked incredibly dangerous and if it weren't for the Druid's presence keeping it in check- but Daun is there, so no use finishing that thought. "If this is the small version, the adult must be impressive indeed." He accepts the handshake a bit belatedly.

And as for the missing child- normally, he would agree with the Inquisitor. "Of course, the Guard are more than capable," he says noncommittally. And they were. Unless Hunters were involved.

In the Cathedral ward:

Ilven is content to listen to the others bandy around theories and ideas. This was their affair, really, and going through the proper access channels was imperative. Still, finding the station itself could be helpful if some bureaucrat decided to drown the investigation in red tape.

"The SMC don't sound like subtle sorts, wouldn't a boarding place for their contraption be readily obvious? New construction would look out of place here." Ilven pushes up his glasses and looks around the foreboding architecture for something out-of-place in its newness, or perhaps a spire under construction.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

If a knowledge(local) or spot is necessary, modifiers are +18 and +13, respectively.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

"She's way better now, thanks to your Church's works. And yes, I can donate to this expedition. If you dont mind to take me to this person I would really appreciate".

He take a blank scroll from his scroplcase and tear a piece of it. Looking at Thing, he says a few magical words and words show up into the paper, writing down a small message that he wraps around one of Thing's paw.

Spoiler: Presdigitation
    Show
    Using it to write the following message in a piece of paper:

"Went looking for some lead. Will catch up with you later today. Take care of Thing while I'm gone".

EDIT: in the case a Presdigitation cant do that, he'll ake his inkpen and write it by hand using a wall for hard surface.

"Deliver this to Daun and stay with her, okay?", he instruct in Draconic the weasel and look towards her and the rest in the distance, "I'll fetch you later, okay?"

Turning to the nun, he try to make eye contact with her, "What's your name, sister? I'm Archmage Camus. Thanks for your help".
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2019-01-01 at 05:57 PM.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

@Ilven: You have heard of these beasts.

A few are tamed by the druids at the Park, which acts like a Natural Preserve. Many would confuse them with dragons and indeed many associate both to be just the same damn thing.

Such way of thinking is why so many idiots end up dead when they learn how to swing a sword.

Although T'nauri may not be a dragon, it can be just as dangerous as one. These scaled beasts are known for having a thick scaly hide and small brains, coupled with immense strength. Quick to anger, they can and will go on a rampage if unchecked.

Which brings you back to the beast sniffing you to get a taste of your scent and hopefully not run you over and leave you like a flap jack.

As for little Henriette? Somebody else's business, clearly. Nobody here knows her. Those that would be compelled to act by Law... are not compelled at all, so why bother? Besides, the City Guard is still a thing...

They'll find her.

She'll be safe.

As for the Cathedral Ward...

You are a soldier. You have fought all manner of beasts out there, but none is more annoying and sometimes terrifying to one's mental psyche than the Red Ducted Beaurocrat, sadly found in large numbers everywhere. Not only in the City.

If an investigation is to be had about The SMC- and you know of them because who doesn't?- these guys better have some solid proof. Spells, blades and fancy moves will stagnate in a mire of pending notes, unopened summons, the election of an investigative committee...

It's not point and shoot, something you are quite adept at. Big companies have big resources on their side. They are big for many reasons and remain on top throughout the years for even more.

Let them figure out how to tackle that can of worms. However, since you are here, might as well look around. If the SMC is building something big, proof of its construction should be around here, somewhere...

It is as you wander within close distance of the group that you stop amidst the crowd and check a particular statue, which decorate the many ornate fountains found in Cathedral Ward.

It depicts a man astride a beautiful horse. The man's features cannot be seen- they have purposefully been effaced during its sculpting and instead its hair waves in front of his countenance as a beautiful blade points towards the Heavens, while a ghastly lupine beast struggles, trapped under the steed's mighty hooves and several hooded maidens kneel around the fountain, carrying jugs over their shoulders that feed the fountain itself with clear water.

There is no plaque, but you know who the man is, by its singular weapon. Although the artist did not do it justice:

That is Captain Ludwig, the Holy Blade. Founder of the Helguard and Hero of Halmathan. It's Unrivaled Champion. A living legend whose legacy is still felt today amongst his loyal and few living Spartans...

Of which you are one.

The lulling water gushing forth causes you to lapse if only for a moment as you shut your eyes and can hear that steed clip clopping around the streets, heralding yet another grueling battle beyond the City's Gates. The cheering crowds, weeping maidens....

The dread of Uncertainty mixed with the fervor of Victory. How long has it been since...

Spoiler: The Checks
    Show
    Roll a Spot & Listen

@Camus: The nun raises her eyes just a bit. Enough for her tired blue eyes to meet yours as a nervous smile purses her lips.

"That is a good thing to know, Archmage Camus- that is what we are here for.""

Time to sneak your way into this place, but not like a savage. Thing nearly bites your hand as you finish writing the message for the group and ask him to find care with Daun.

Maybe the idea of accidentally ending under T'nauri's foot is not to his liking, but he's a tough weasel... he can scurry around that big brute and he'd never even notice.

You'll catch up to them later. They can hopefully fend for themselves as the nun, a bit hunched next to you, walks through the twisting streets of Cathedral Ward, asking every few blocks or so to stop as she catches her breath.

"My name is Adella, Archmage Camus. Just a simple nun...and a tad tired. A thousand apologies for stopping every now and then, but we are close.""

Runestone has a lot of decor, mostly in the Tower of Magi, but this place goes overboard. Chances are if you sit on a corner, you'll be desecrating some holy shrine. The angelic motif and those damn candles are everywhere in cathedral ward, as the shadows of the tall spires break through the morning sun, casting their form over its faithful flock.

It's a few stairs down to a small shrine that shows a statue of a tall man with his hands placed together, the wrists have been slit and blood has been carefully sculpted to run down the form's body.

It's another man that kneels before the statue as Adella approaches him:

"Master... master? An interested Archmage is here regarding your expedition.""

The man stops praying in silence and stands up, towering over both you and Adella as the small rays of sun shine on his head, giving him a casual glow and dismisses the nun, who bows deeply to both as he approaches you and takes out his hand, aiming to shake yours.

"I have told those in the know many times:

It is not an expedition. However, I cannot fault their blind devotion and help. An archmage? From Runestone? A blessing of the gods indeed! Yes, oh yes! An honor to meet a fellow scholar.

I am Alfred, of the Order of Executioners.""

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

@Ilven: Lost in your thoughts again, old man...

But not lost enough to notice a figure amongst the crowd. One hooded like many here, but that for some reason, just doesn’t belong in this picture.

The old training has not waned- you or someone with you is being followed, however before you can pinpoint who it is, your attention is brought to a pair of Healing Ministers, wearing the black garb of the church they serve so faithfully.

Both give you a respectful bow and lock eyes with you, despite their wide brimmed hats.

“Good day... Sir Ilven Selma? Of the Helguard, yes?

His Grace wishes to see you. Preferably now.”

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

"Dont worry, sister. Here, let me help", he says and offer her his arm for support.

Once they reach the small shrine with the handsome man, Camus thanks the nun and look at the man ahead him, "Archmage Camus Shatris", he says and accept his hand, "And although I dont believe I was a God's send, I would gladly help sponsor the Healing Church after you helped my cousin recover from some injuries. My original thought was to make a small donation, but sister Adella told me about this expedition of yours".

He smiles and look at the statue and then back to Alfred, "How can I be of help?"
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The sculpture's a poor likeness. Or perhaps a very good one, leaving the face as blurred as a faulty memory. Everyone knew the Captain by his blade.

Followed- not that tailing this group would be a difficult task. Either the fool was incompetent or overconfident.

But that's hardly the matter at hand. "Yes, good day." He nods politely in response to the bow. Had the Dragonslayer actually obtained an audience with the King? "Far be it from me to keep His Grace waiting- may I bid farewell to some friends? Are you searching for Kalir Kalaan as well?" Ilven hopes he'd gotten the name right. Although how they'd find him before the fellow with massive wings was beyond his ken.

Assuming they allow a moment, Ilven finds his way back to the rest of the group. Well, most of them. But an Archmage could surely take care of himself. "Sorry to take my leave so soon after meeting, but something's come up." He keeps his voice quiet and the tone cheery, so as not to give it away to the watcher, unless he were very close. "You may want to know one of us is being followed. Hooded fellow- no, don't look around now. Good luck with your investigation." He tips his hat in farewell.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

@Camus: Adella the Nun flushes some more.

Being a mere acolyte, she definitely did not wake up this morning thinking she'd be assisted by an Archmage, but it would be rude of her to deny your offer of help and so, she takes your hand as you help her walk through the immense sprawl that is Cathedral Ward.

And then you meet this tall imposing gallant man, Alfred... the Executioner.

Adella leaves both of alone in the small shrine as Alfred shakes your hand- a firm grip. to be expected from a man his size.

"Archmage Camus, the pleasure is all mine indeed! You aren't a hunter, are you? Although who knows...

You may call me Alfred. Protege of Master Logarius, hunter of Vilebloods. So, what say you? Our prey might differ, but we are hunters, the both of us. Why not cooperate, and discuss the things we've learned?""

He is getting right to business. A bunch of names, terms... none familiar at all, as Alfred looks at Cathedral Ward and smiles.

"We are both learned men, Archmage Camus. However, when it comes to certain matters, my own knowledge falls flat. Providence indeed that the good gods would guide you here.

I seek to finish my master's work, admirable and lauded as it was. It is my duty as an Executioner, founded by Master Logarius, to cleanse this world of the rotten filth that are the Vilebloods...""

Alfred looks at the shrine and exhales, while shaking his head.

"However, despite my training. All my meditating and praying... I cannot find their writhing nesting grounds, despite knowing that accursed name all too well:

Cainhurst Castle."

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

@Ilven: Who would be stupid enough to trail you?

And it's not recent. Either you or someone in your entourage has garnered more attention that would be required. Looking at these people, getting followed out of mere curiosity cannot be discarded. Still...

The statue of Captain Ludwig is nice... not too faithful in its rendition of his face. They did capture the likeness of his famous blade, though. Of course, if the tales are anything to go by, the sculptor in question must've read about the blade. Legend has it that when Ludwig brandished the blade in battle...

Everything in the field died. Perhaps that's why he seldom unleashed that weapon when fighting with the Helguard by his side.

The Healing Ministers return the bow and are polite enough to wait for you to alert the others that you'll be gone for... who knows how long. But to be vigilant: you are being followed.

A carriage stops by as one of the healing Ministers asks the coach man to stop and looks at the Raptoran.

"Only your presence is required, Sir Ilven.""

The minister smiles affably at you and motions to get inside as your new found friends get lost in the streets of Cathedral Ward.

Not a single word spoken during the ride, but it's not a short one, as you pass beneath several bridges and turn around many plazas before arriving at an immense cathedral, shrouded by clouds so thick, it is impossible to see its spire.

But when the door opens for you and the carriage drives away, the minister in black garb lowers his head in abject reverence and takes several steps back as a pair of...beings, would be the best description, gracefully descend from the clouds above and land seamlessly on the pavement as both bow in unison to you:

Who are these guys? No clue. They look human, but any man would've died from a fall like that, as the black garbed ministers silently walk away and one of them smiles and bows again as the pulls a lever and the sound of chains can be heard from within the enormous cathedral, revealing a gigantic and very ornate elevator adorned with angel motifs as both walk ion with you and look at each other through that odd headdress before looking at you and speaking in unison.

"Have you eaten already?

Are you thirsty?"

Regardless of your answer, it takes several minutes to ascend before the doors open and enormous trees knot around an old but very elaborate stone bridge as the two men walk beside you and the air seems cold and light.

You are very far from the ground at this point before you come to yet another Cathedral, with the emblem of the Sun and a chalice intwined within, to which both men kneel and speak in an unknown tongue before the door opens and in radiant golden light...

This man comes out to greet you, as the other two remain kneeling and the man smiles, shaking your hand.

"Ilven Selma! The Helguard... in the flesh. For a moment there, I thought I had my vision fooled. So glad age has not punished me so.""

He seems... somewhat familiar? Maybe? He knows your name. Having said that, many who know of the Helguard and are well versed would know your name, but the King? He is definitely not.

The man invites you into the Grand Cathedral, adorned with copious amounts of religious iconography of the Healing Church. Such massive house of worship... but no parishioners here, as the two men walk ever so lightly a few feet behind both, as if they weren't even there.

The man walks up to a golden altar and takes a goblet, raising it to a gigantic mural depicting the sky and beyond before taking a sip and intoning a quick prayer.

"How have you been, Ilven Selma? Everything okay?"

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

"A hunter?", he ask and shake his head in negative, "Definitly not". Hunting was something that would fit people more savage than me, he thinks but does not say as it might be taken as an offense for the man in front of him. Because it was.

"And Vilebloods?", he says and think for a few seconds, "That is something I dont know about. Nor about your Order of Executioners to be honest. But sure, if I can enlighten you in anyway I'll be happy to help. Truth be told I would never guess such order would exist among the Healing Church at all".

"Tell me more about these vilebloods and this Cainhurst Castle. Maybe I can help find it and you can finish your work", he offers and pick his scrying shard, "The more you tell me the easier to find it". He then wait for what the man have to tell him.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

@Camus: He called you a Hunter? Really???

Alfred chuckles when you shake your head to his impression of you.

"Hunting is a sacred practice, Archmage Shatris. To cleanse these streets from the vile beasts and vermin that stalk it... no greater Honor and Glory exists. Our prey may differ, of course. But I am certain your skills in the Arcane are suited for just that.

You have not heard of the Order of Executioners...hmmm. I suppose it makes sense. My Master Logarius founded the Order as a response to the Beastly Scourge that ravaged Halmathan. Many churches were involved in this affair, but our Order existed to purify those inhuman and abhorrent Vilebloods from the face of the earth!

They revel in the blood lust, carrying the face of a man, but the soul of a beast... if ever a soul resided within them. It was Master Logarius, in his infinite wisdom, who went along with the Order of Executioners and stormed Cainhurst on a cold winter night. He believed it was them that had began this damn curse on us all. I believe it too.

No Vileblood is said to have been left alive. All were purged... but he never returned. And so, as the last of my Order, it is my duty to go to that unholy place and find out the truth. It is my belief that the ruler of the Vilebloods is still alive. I will kill her and in so doing, place my Master as a true Martyr of the Church.""

Alfred takes a deep breath and continues as you produce your scrying shard and sit on the stone stairs as he elaborates on these Vilebloods.

"Pledgers to this oath are Cainhurst Vilebloods, hunters of blood who find dregs for their Queen of coldblood, particularly in that of hunters. Yet the corrupt are heretics in the eyes of the Church, thus subject to the wrath of the Executioners."

"Once, a scholar of renown amongst one of Halmathan's many honorable factions betrayed his fellows and brought forbidden blood back with him to Cainhurst Castle. It was there that the first of the inhuman Vilebloods was born. The Vilebloods are fiendish creatures who threaten the purity of the Church's healing.

They are evil, Archmage Shatris- make no mistake about that. And evil must be stamped out! As for Cainhurst Castle? It is said to be seen from Hemwick Crossing, just beyond the cliffs. It should be easy to access such a forsaken unholy place, but...

I have tried many ways to get there. Something prevents me from accessing Cainhurst. A malevolent force, no doubt. As I mentioned earlier, I do not require an expedition- just someone who can point me in the right direction and get me inside.

I will do the rest. Alone.""

You get out your scrying shard and focus on the description and can get an outline of an imposing castle, but very little details about it. Given its location,if you go to Hemwick, you should be able to actually see it. probably even fly or teleport there.

Alfred watches you focus on the shard and nods in approval.

"Someone dedicated to the Hunt, whether they want to admit it or not. It i s a sacred practice, and there is no sin in putting those loathsome creatures down to face their Eternal Punishment. Here, Archmage, to celebrate our companionship and establish trust, which is just as invaluable as Honor.""

The man places a warm scrap of paper on your hand. Warm at first, but then it starts to get your hand uncomfortable hot:

Coarse paper that applies fire to weapons when rubbed. A hunter tool found used extensively during the Nights of the Hunt.

Since the tragedy that struck Old Halmathan, fire has become a staple in beast hunts, and is thought to cleanse impurity. Certain types of beasts have an abnormal fear of flame.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The two… personages that drop from the sky are quite disconcerting. Especially the way their headgear hid their eyes from view. Reminded him of a metal version of Gascoigne’s blindfold. “No thank you,” he refuses their offer of refreshments. Not that he could eat under that gaze.

And this new stranger…. Or was he a stranger? He spoke to Ilven with familiarity. Memory must be playing tricks again.

Clearly some kind of priest- did he even know any priests? Daisy was involved in the Healing Church, but unlikely with anyone of this status. A mystery, then, and one important enough to be offended if forgotten. “I’m well, your Grace,” he replies, returning the man’s handshake. Titles were always a safe bet.

“To what do I owe the pleasure of your company?”

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

@Ilven: Calling these men weird would be an understatement.

Having said... look at the group you walked into Cathedral Ward with.

One has to wonder if they can actually see with that metal covering on their face. Gascoigne wore one, but hus were bandages... who knows. What you do know is that they are strange folk alright. Never seen one out and about, but the Healing Ministers showed them a lot of reverence.

And that pales in comparison to the man up top, dressed like some high priest or whatnot. He seems to know you- the tone of his voice implies as much...

If only you could remember where from?

The man returns the handshake- pretty firm for a man dressed in priestly robes, clearly not a warrior as he smiles upon your answer.

“You are... fine. Well, of course you are! I saw you in Cathedral Ward below and ideas spurred in my mind...

Thankfully, you have assuaged them with your response. I am terribly sorry to have taken your precious time...”

The man looks at both silent servants and then back at you.

“You don’t know my name do you, Ilven Selma? That’s fine. I wish you a blessed day, Helguard. Once again, apologies if I took you away from any business you may be involved in. You will be escorted back to where were picked up.”

The man turns his back to you and walks towards the grand golden altar.

“It’s good to see the Helguard aren’t forgotten... good bye.”

13. - Top - End - #343
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aReallyGreatAxe View Post
    Assuming they allow a moment, Ilven finds his way back to the rest of the group. Well, most of them. But an Archmage could surely take care of himself. "Sorry to take my leave so soon after meeting, but something's come up." He keeps his voice quiet and the tone cheery, so as not to give it away to the watcher, unless he were very close. "You may want to know one of us is being followed. Hooded fellow- no, don't look around now. Good luck with your investigation." He tips his hat in farewell.
    Kalir keeps his voice low to Ilven. "Unexpected company following? Hmm. Keep in touch please Sir Ilven." He takes careful note of the men escorting the Helguard into the carriage, the carriage itself, and its direction.

The raptoran addresses Daun and Gregory as works his way to the other side of the smaller than usual dinosaur, giving it scratches that he wasn't sure could be felt through all that toughness. Still, it gave him an excuse to discreetly scan around the crowd following Ilven's warning. "Well, that leaves two fewer already. I can agree with the archmage's desire to wait, as must I with the king. Daun, did you intend to go to Hemwick Lane today? If so, which way?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Spot (1d20+11)[19]
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Damn- the deception was noticed. Again.

Ilven holds up one hand to the mysterious servants- a request to wait. “Now, you can hardly pique my interest with that and then send me off like a bellboy. You’ve caught me- I have no idea with whom I am speaking. I’m a private man, why should I share my doings with a stranger? Enlighten me, and we can be frank.”

And perhaps a gamble, to see how much this man knew. “But if you have no interest in the Hunt, then it really was an honest mistake. Have a blessed day yourself.” Using the Crow’s term felt strange, but it really was the most expedient and recognizable.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

@Ilven: Both masked men look at each other and one even adopts a fighting stance when the man chuckles and raises his hand, calming both down.

“Abell boy? No, Ilven- you are a Helguard. The Arrow of God. That is what they called you, isn’t it?

You have no idea who am I? That’s perfectly fine by me. I recognized your face in the crowd and wished to see you up close.

My wish has been granted.

And it is good that you have become a private man. However, you are in Cathedral Ward and carry a reputation many would kill for.

Even someone like me would have trouble ignoring that. It was good catching up, Ilven. Perish any thoughts you may have right now. Go home. Enjoy your retirement...

You have earned it. And if you ever need Healing Ministration, send mea missive stating so.”

The man keeps his back turned to you and walks towards the golden altar.

“Amren has not had any complaints. You do remember your trainee, I hope? This joyous meeting is over and...”

The man turns to look at you while the masked men get ready to escort you out.

“Old habits die hard, I see...”

@Kalir: And there goes another...

But at least he gave you ample warning: you are being followed. In high morning, no less.

It wouldn’t be a common mugger- they would think twice before even thinking about coming after any of you alone- and you are in a group. However whoever it was, cannot be seen amongst the crowd.

Now what to do regarding the lead? Where to go?

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Daun holds up her hands and smiles in mock surrender at Gregory's admonishment. "Hey hey, I'm not saying I want to dig around in the dirt today. That thing from last night didn't care too much about the rules of the city though: I think the most important thing is that we make sure other things like that don't roam the streets after night. Like I said, I'm all for other options first."

She does her best not to look around when Ilven mentions they are being watched. She speaks more quietly. "Curious... Someone was watching me a few days ago too, before the SMC gala. If none of you have secret admirers you failed to mention, it might be me."

As surreptitiously as she can, Daun looks around for the person Ilven saw.

Daun nods as the others leave. "If the others are going to follow leads in the city, it might make sense to go to Hemwick Lane. Admittedly, I don't have much of a solid plan to follow up on, but maybe some loose end will reveal itself. And besides... Well, this is more of a hunch than anything: the beast we fought last night was just that, beastly. Obviously it was some kind of magic in origin, but the fact that it had fur and teeth and claws tells me it was not meant for the city. Who ever or what ever brought that thing into existence relates more to the wolves and bears of the wild than the machines of Hamalthan. Maybe I'm speculating too much, but that's what my gut tells me.

I guess we all gathered together to go separate ways. At least we touched base with one another. If anyone wants to join me in Hemwick Lane, I'd appreciate the company. Kalir, do you think meeting with the King will take long?"
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2019-01-02 at 10:39 AM.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

"When you say Beastly Scourge you mean the Scourge that ravaged Hamalthan many years ago?", he ask and try to remember what little he knew about it: a disease that affected the mind and turned people into murderers and the mention of hunting now made sense for him, "So you think the Scourge is still out there? And the ones with it is what you call the vilebloods? Hmmm..."

Whoever started it is still alive and possibly spreading the disease around. And a woman?

"And Master Logarius never made it out? What's the chances he became a vileblood himself?", he says looking at his shard, casting one of the divinations he prepared for today. Seems he wont be spying on Catedral Ward Station tonight...

Spoiler: Scry Location
    Show
    The DC should be at least 25 (base 20 plus 5 from being know second hand). Camus take 10 would get him a 24 result, meaning the scrying would fail and Camus wont be able to Scry Location there again for the next 24 hours.

The casting takes 1 hour.

As he cast the spell and focus on the shard, the wizard keep listening to the man's explanation.
    "So the contamination is through blood? Hmmm... From what you gave me all I could see was an outline of the castle before the spell failed. If you know the way to Hemwick Lane I could gather a party and see the place for myself: the more familiarity I have to the place the better view I can get with my divination".

The man talk like a fanatic paladin, which was some sort of holy savage to his eyes. He takes the piece of burning paper and feel it hot on his hands, so he quickly put it into his haversack.

"Wait... They are very affraid of fire you say?", he says and think of the way the beast in the bridge reacted against Daun's fiery spell, "We fought one huge beast a couple nights ago. It was huge and terrified of fire. It was just outside Catedral Ward, on St. Abaidas Bridge. But it was no beast in human guise: it was a beast in beast form. Do these vilebloods have the ability to shapechange into beasts?"

Thinking back to the symbol of St. Cuthbert in the creature's possession and pending on Alfred's response, Archmage Camus realize the symbol may have belonged to the beast itself.

"If you tell me how to reach Hemwick Lane I'll go find the location of Cainhurst Castle and tomorrow I may guide you to the castle. As for going alone there... We'll see to it", he says and focus on the shard once again, "I have a small group that can escort me to Hemwick Lane and that is intended to investigate the beast we fought".

Thing. He look to the shard and focus on his weasel familiar to see where the party was now.

Spoiler: Greater Scrying
    Show
    Scrying on his familiar to find Daun and the others. I think it's okay to assume he can find a bit of fur of the weasel in his robes, since he's always running around his clothes.

The DC is 26 but Thing get a penalty to its Will save equal to -15 (-5 from being well known and -10 from having a body part - a bit of fur). Thing's Will save is +20 (+5 considering the -15 penalty).

The casting time is a standart action.

He wait for the answers from Alfred before bidding him farewell.
    "I'll send for you tomorrow or tonight once I get a good view of the Castle. Sounds good?", he says and get ready to teleport to his familiar's side.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

@Camus: Alfred looks at the shrine he was praying to and then back at you.

"The Scourge that ravaged Halmathan years ago was in fact what attracted those ghastly beasts into existence. Many were spared- and I use that term mildly. Their minds broken beyond repair.

Others... others were turned into horrid beasts that prowl the night, searching for victims to satiate their endless hunger. However, the Hunters dispatched took care of them just as quickly as they appeared. We are blessed to have a Halmathan that is now cleaned of that vile filth.

That isn't to say that the root of the problem isn't still out there! Those damn Vilebloods... it is they who began this bloody mess. They still fester within Cainhurst Castle, plotting and salivating at the thought of more blood to fill their rotten gullets!""

This man seems driven. Very much like paladins you have met elsewhere. Zealous in his resolve. Determined in his beliefs...

And so, it comes as no surprise that when you bring the fact of Master Logarius being a Vileblood himself, the Executioner would get in your face, his frame towering above yours.

"Master Logarius is a Saint! He is the Founder of the Church Executioners, devoted to cleansing the world of such vile filth! The sole idea that he would fall like that is utterly Blasphemous! Archmage or no, watch your words...""

Now, you could unmake this zealous idiot with a snap of your fingers- he may be taller than you. And stronger physically... but Magic is on your side. And when has it ever failed you?

Maybe this is something Alfred has realized as well, as he backs up and takes a few deep breaths.

"Apologies. Master Logarius is like a father to me. It is thanks to him that I grew up to be the warrior I am today. However, you mentioned you fought a beast? Here? Outside Cathedral Ward? Archmage Shatris... that's not possible.

Any signs of the Scourge were wiped out by the Hunters years ago. All that remains of them are poor souls, broken beyond repair. Harmless to anyone, even a fly. Nobody has seen such creature here- we would know. The entire City would've been alerted...

However, if what you say is true, then my belief is strengthened- Cainhurst Castle and its pompous filth of Vilebloods are the reason behind it. They would be able to weave such treachery, I am sure of it!""

Alfred looks back at the shrine and bows to it, uttering a silent prayer while you concentrate on your shard and begins to walk away.

"Hemwick is beyond Cathedral Ward and the City of Halmathan. The Church closed the gate to get there years ago, but if you wish to go there, the tunnels below will lead you to a Gate that will reach its environs. However...

It is said that only a password opens such gate. Its keeper will only respond to it. And the password is said to be held close by Highest Strata of the Healing Church. Of course, you can take the longer route through Halmathan's Northern Gate, but I have no idea what lies beyond any of those borders.

If you do manage to find a way to Hemwick Lane and see that accursed castle with your own eyes, let me know... and I will handle it from there. Be safe, Archmage Shatris.""

And with those words, the Church Executioner walks away.

It takes a full hour to focus on this...Master Logarius and as you had concluded earlier, there is no response. Chances are the man is dead... and let's keep it at that.

And without any more leads, you focus on Thing and watch the area around you rumble and shake as reality unmakes itself and you reappear right next to Daun, Kalir, Gregory, T'nauri and a very gracious Thing, who leaps at you and clings to your shoulders, happy to be back with his master.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Once the man go for his throat the archmage just give him a staredown, but says nothing. He let the man take a breath and recover from his fit of anger, accepting his apologize, but he let his last words be filled with coldness.

"I'll see what can be done and will let you know once I reach the castle", he says and focus on the weasel and give the man one last look before teleporting away.

Spoiler: Teleport
    Show
    Burning Greater Dimension Door for Teleport.

Back to the streets with the rest of the investigating group, Camus catch Thing and caress its furry head.
    "Hope you didnt miss me", he says to everyone, "I have news regarding our trip here, but I rather speak in private in my chambers", he motion around as many people walk around the streets seeking healing or care, "Too many ears around".

He point back to St. Abaidas Bridge, "If you have nothing else to do here, we better leave and... Where is Ilven?", he just now noticed that the bearded elf was gone, "If you agree, I'll fetch a carriage and send to him to meet us there in Runestone. Unless you believe he'll be back soon".

If everyone agree, he'll look for a carriage to take them to Runestone, where there were less people to eavesdrop and where he could find a hot cup of his favorite tea.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Ilven is mollified by the priest’s explanation, especially when the unsettling masked sentries stand down. So, not related after all. Shame.

Remember Amren- of course he remembered the little twerp. Well. Not a little twerp anymore, he thinks guiltily. “Glad to hear an old friend is in capable hands. He seemed… well enough last I checked.” An overstatement but, really, how much better could Amren be expected to have fared considering the... events of their last journey beyond the city's walls?

“I’ll be sure to send a missive to my mysterious benefactor, should it be needed.” He smiles at the thought, and the obvious logistical concerns.

And of course allows the servants to lead him out without issue. Provoking them more seemed like a poor life decision.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

@Ilven: You could probably take on all three of these men.

The Helguard was a highly trained team. Odds were always stacked against you, reason why your bodies and minds were pushed to the limit of human endurance... and beyond.

Whether this man and his stooges understand this, who knows. Although the nature of tis meeting is strange- he just wanted to see you- he really is non threatening and although you may have had differences with Amren in the past, your pupil is now a cripple and blind, hardly a worthy opponent or representative of the Old Helguard.

The man places his hands together in the form of prayer as the doors open and the men escort you out, while a smile crosses his lips.

"Of course he will be taken care of, Ilven Selma. He, like you and those in the Helguard, are all worthy of a thousand accolades done in the name of Halmathan and The Healing Church...

You will never find yourself wanting. Have a blessed day.""

The ride down is a lot more silent than the one up. These masked men don't seem quite... there. Maybe it's the fact their faces are covered in that metal clasp, but it's hard to tell if they are even looking at you before you reach the bottom of the Great Cathedral and a carriage awaits you as the men don't even say a word- simply bow and retreat into the imposing structure.

It is at this same time that the ride leaves you back in the plaza where you were picked up. Just in time to watch Camus show up with the rest.

@Daun: With Camus gone and the same for Sir Ilven, you let the Inquisitor know that it isn't your plan to dig through the City- that would be silly... your claws would probably break.

There are other ways to part the ground if needed.

As for the Helguard's warning? A good one indeed, as you catch sight of a man hiding several feet away from the place where you and the others are, blending in with the crowd.

That's one of The Castaferni men. Not one linked by blood, but one of their "staff".

Although the Tersetti family is powerful in its own right, they originally were one with The Castafernis. Now, this family is known as pioneers of Olive Oil in Halmathan and for decades, have grown incredibly influential. But even as a child growing up, you heard now and then your mother stating how a problem here and there was... fixed by that family.

It never occurred to you then what she meant by that. The issue was never brought up again, but some idiot every so often likes to intertwine the good name of The Castaferni with others less auspicious such as "crime" or "murder"...

Those people aren't around anymore. Always prone to "accidents".

You have never clashed with that family- they are after all, relatives. But why have one of their people spying on you? Or is it on you?

But before you can send T'nauri bowling over citizens to catch the man...he's gone in the crowd.

@Camus: Well, you wanted some info. You got it.

The scryings didn't work and you've run short of them for the day. Talking out in public about what you heard- foolish as the tale may be- is not the best idea right now. Everyone who's heard about your fight has given you a strange look. The kind of look you'd give some fool in the street babbling nonsense...

Can't have that besmirch an Archmage's reputation.

Not soon after, a carriage with Sir Ilven arrives. Maybe he learned something in Cathedral Ward. And if he did, no safer and more private place than your chambers at Runestone.

But how many to fit in the carriage?

22. - Top - End - #352

Kalir was glad to have everyone back. It took enough effort for all to find each other in the first place without resorting to the services of others.

"I can meet you at the Runestone main gate." When the carriage departs, the raptoran takes to the skies then turns invisible. Not having to worry about congested roads and indirect routes, he takes his time and enjoys the air above. He does take note of the carriage's route, gets ahead, then lands on a roof over-watching the route. He watches for anyone trailing the carriage. After doing this a couple of times he takes to the winds again. As the carriage arrives at Runestone, Kalir becomes visible then gently lands by the carriage at the main gate.

Show
    Spot: Take 20 each time for a 31.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

Once everyone got to Runestone, be it by riding a dinosaur, flying or sharing a carriage, the archmage look at Daun and politely ask her to leave the dinosaur at the entrance and to ask it to avoid eating all the trees and grass, else the gardeners start bothering him.

He lead everyone into his room and start a fire to warm water for his tea.

"Please, take a seat everyone", he says and take the a covered object from his haversack, putting it on the center of the table, "This is what was found by a man named...", he look to Daun and gesture for her to speak the man's name, "Somewhere in Hemwick Lane".

He reveals the thing under the cover before covering it back and putting it on the Greater Alarm area.

"During my quick investigation there in Catedral Ward I found a paladin of sorts who told me about a sacred order called Order of the Executioners. Hunters of sort, which prey on evil creatures he called vilebloods, which are those who were contaminated by the Queen of Cainhurst Castle".

"From what I figured out, those who fell to the Scourge are the same he call the vilebloods: evil beasts in human guise. When the Scourge affected the City, the Hunters slayed all of them, but their leader are still in Cainhurst, an accursed keep beyond Hemwick Lane. He also gave me this", he says removing the fiery piece of scroll and handing to Kalir, "It was a tool to fight them back in the time the Scourge was around as many beasts were specifically terrified of fire", he glance Sir Gregory, "Which makes me believe your Scrying attempt failed because the owner is dead: probably some cuthbertine fell to the Scourge and became the monster we slain in the bridge".

"He also told me there is an underground path below Catedral Ward that takes to Hemwick Lane, but the gate is sealed and only the high strata of the Healing Church know the password to get past it and since we saw a beast roaming, it might means one high priest in that church might be involved in letting it into the City or that maybe a new underground path was recently opened and allowed some beasts to roam free. A path like... The one the SMC opened in secret for their Dragon Flight", he says before raising his hands and adding, "This is, of course, speculation. Regardless, I think we better seek Hemwick Lane through the Northern Gate, so as not to alert anyone: the more discrete we are of this the better and our group is not discrete. At all".

He stand up and pour hot tea to himself and to anyone who accept it, "My proposition is simple: we all meet outside the Northern Gate tomorrow or tonight. Each one go in a different time so as to not attract much attention. Once outside we travel towards Hemwick Lane. Those who cast spells should consider having some fire spells in their repertorie. It would be interesting if we stock some healing items as well and ways to remove curse and disease. I'm unsure if we should take that eye-thing with us or leave it at my room here though".

He stop talking and sip from his tea, "I do accept suggestions".

24. - Top - End - #354

Kalir looked around in curiosity as they walked the corridors to the archmage's quarters. This was an area very few would ever see even for the likes of himself. This area was probably off limits to many of the Runestone mages themselves. In the chambers, Kalir tried to imagine what kind and size of beast that eye would have belonged too. The view was too brief but he caught himself with the idle curiosity.

The raptoran's eyebrow raised in keen interest and glanced at the helguard as Camus explained what he had learned. Scourge, Hunters, Vilebloods. Had to be the same thing he and Ilven faced. The rest of the group now knew of the trouble. No more need to keep the secret from them. None of us were powerless commoners that were better left oblivious to the threat.

He sat comfortably but upright on a chair covered in a fur of some unknown creature next to the fireplace. Thresher and The Axe leaned against the side of the chair"Vileblood? Sounds like what Sir Ilven and I faced the same night you fought the beast at the bridge, perhaps with a different point of view."

"After I left the Golden Mare I encountered the Hunter known as The Crow. She directed me to where I would find one that had succumbed to bloodlust and needed to be put down. When I reached the spot I found Sir Ilven battling a crazed man with incredible strength. Sir Ilven seemed to have put the man down. When I went to check on the fallen it recovered, growing to the size of an ogre. An evil beast, no longer human. We were able to put the beast down which then consumed itself in green fire. I can tell you it was able to see or at least smell me invisible, ignore the effects of Displacement, and was immune to acid. The Crow confirmed it was a former Hunter who had been consumed with bloodlust, warning that the same could happen to us. 'Once you fall to the allure of Blood, you will turn into a Beast.' "

"This is what I planned on discussing with the king. I still will when given the chance but if we know the source I will join the expedition without delaying it. If considering spells then we leave in the morning? I would request magic to make me their size and speed as well as spells to weaken them. If Hemlock Lane is beyond the Cathedral Ward and I am given more details I could fly invisibly beyond the Ward if you can teleport yourself and others to me? That could save considerable time and be very discrete."

Kalir picks up his weapons. "Archmage Camus, my flail was enhanced with the evocation of Prismatic Spray. If you know of a way to better control which effects that may be helpful. Repeated orange beams of light on a creature immune to acid was almost the end of me." He holds up the axe. "This axe was wielded by the man we fought. In combat it grows to a size even I find challenging to control just yet. It is a devastating weapon of its own merit. If you have a way to identify more of its qualities that should also prove useful although I believe its presence and abilities should be kept a secret to our own group here. Otherwise I will experiment with it more this afternoon."

"The former owner of this axe was Father Gascoigne."
    Kalir looks briefly to the helguard. "Father Gascoigne was the father of the child that Sir Ilven searches for."

Show
    Have I heard of the Order of the Executioners? Seems I can connect them and Hunters now. Know (Local) (1d20+8)[15]
    Show

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Ilven accepts yet another carriage ride to get to Runestone. He had never expected to set foot in the center of arcane might, being distinctly nonmagical himself. He tries to think of it as just another kind of palace, much less intimidating than if he stopped to consider how many people here could turn him into a pigeon. (Or try at least- a wizard might find themselves the one feathered.)

Great. Another layer of beasts. Ilven accepts the Archmage's tea and sips it while listening to the whole story laid out.

Well, almost the whole story... "He wasn't immune to acid the entire time," Ilven corrects. "Gascoigne did some sort of hocus-pocus while still human. We can't assume all beasts share that trait."

"And I doubt he's the only one who is loose in the city. I found his wife's body. She was mauled, which he was not capable of doing. Before he grew claws."

"Hearing your beast was under no spell was some comfort. I had wanted to bring Gascoigne to the proper authorities, dispel whatever curse was in effect- but the Crow had other ideas."

Speaking of the Crow, he pulls the key from a pocket and holds it to catch the light. "The Hunter also directed us to Old Halmathan, saying more beasts can be found there. If she can be trusted- and even putting aside her 'profession', I doubt it. Hemwick Lane is by far the more logical place."

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

Gregory is silent for a long time before he slowly shakes his head.

"I do not believe this is related to the Scourge," he says, then clears his throat as his voice had been faltering at the end. "I have had... personal experience with it. It leaves them insane, not beasts in human form. I have never heard of the like."

He sends Camus a steely glare. "There are surviving victims of the Scourge still alive. They do not randomly become mindless beasts. They are just... broken. Harmless. Whatever these... vilebloods... are, I do not think it is the Scourge. At least, not a form of the Scourge I have ever encountered."

The inquisitor strokes his chin. "There is also a woman recently incarcerated in the St. Noria Castello. She hinted that she was a Hunter. She might have information as well."

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

@Kalir: You have flown over Runestone several times before...

But the Royal Guard themselves have cautioned against it- surveillance in an Academy made by wizards for wizards rivals any scouting you could possibly provide. besides, many of your fellow Royal guards attended that place...

They would know of the many defenses placed here.

And although campus is filled with young mages, they all give you and your group- particularly T'nauri and the Inquisitor- strange looks.

A dinosaur is an odd sight anywhere. An inquisitor at best, is a person one would rather not have around.

And once in Camus' arcane abode, you grab a chair and listen to his own investigation...

Vilebloods? The Order of Executioners...

The first, is a name you have never heard of. As for the second, ditto.

Halmathan has many factions. Runestone itself is a faction within the City and who knows how many different mages fulfill different roles. Again, the Royal Guard, for the most part, trained here. Making it yet another faction.

Churches around the City- especially the bigger ones- have members within its hallowed halls that perform different duties. Du Vay is a Cuthbertine by faith, but his rank is that of an Inquisitor, whose powers and abilities differ from others that have sworn fealty to the Cudgel.

And that's just one direct example because he's in the room. If other churches have different factions working for them, you would not be acquainted with their inner workings.

What you are acquainted with is that man beast, Gascoigne. Incredibly strong as a man according to Sir Ilven. Monstrously so as a the beast that nearly killed you. Runestone made Thresher for you- one of their most powerful enchantments. Perhaps Camus can... tweak it somehow. have the effects not be some random. Have you in utter control of the outcome of each swing...

He should be able to do that. He is an Archmage, after all.

As for Hemwick Lane? Fly to it. A very easy solution. There is nowhere flight cannot get you. That's a proven fact. And with your ring, you could swoop in, kill everyone unseen there and then hail the rest to come pick up the bodies, scrounge them for any copper pieces to fatten your purse...

The Adventurer Way.

Then you show the group Gascoigne's axe. This thing left Sir Ilven in pretty bad shape. Even you, who can boast a strength no raptoran can match, had difficulty wielding it. If Camus can figure out how it works, it just may give you an edge against those beasts, especially now that you know exactly where the problem stems from.

After all, this was a very simple investigation... just the way it should be.

@Ilven: Just like in Cathedral ward, you could easily dispatch every last mage here that came looking for trouble.

In your experience, mages are extremely weak. What little you remember is one such fool weaving a wall of...glass? Must've been, since what you were fighting shattered it with extreme ease, driving its claw right through the scholar and ripping out its ribcage before it turned on the rest... and was promptly killed.

As for Kalir's tale... not that accurate.

When you fought Gascoigne, you shot him at least ten times. You saw that corroding acid burn at his clothes and flesh. It was after a few more shots that he mumbled something and your acid was no longer effective. This means that not all beasts may be the same. Pity you never had a chance to send that man into custody- find out more about him. The Crow made sure of that... deceptive killer, like her damned Order, may they burn in Hell.

And then you produce the old key retrieved from Gascoigne- the key to Old Halmathan, were beasts are said to roam.

The Crow mentioned it was a good place to hunt them, but what would she know? She's a crazy killer. No...

You have a clear set out path. be it come sundown or sunrise, you will head to Hemwick Lane and once there, find out the source of these monstrous beasts, putting an end to it all.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Back at the Bridge...
    Daun makes eye contact as best as she can with the man. It's not like she was trying to hide: she abhorred hiding unless it was completely necessary. No, if this Castaferni had something to say, he could say it to her face. Otherwise, piss off. She briefly wonders if she knows this specific guy, and considers nipping this thing in the bud and just sending a letter to the Castaferni's. She had no stomach for stalking and veiled threats and... well, subtlety. It could just be a coincidence that this guy was following them, watching her. But it wasn't. All the same, she heads back to Runestone with the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Does Daun recognize this specific "staffer"?

Outside Runestone
    Outside Runestone, Daun nods and smiles. "Of course. Your tiny room isn't big enough for him anyway," she teases. She pats him goodbye for now and says,
    jokingly, "Say hi to the nerds T'nauri!"

In Camus's Apartment
    Accepts the tea and sips it quietly, listening to the others explanations. "Morrick." She says, when prompted for the man's name.

"That's so tragic... So it sounds like Gascoigne couldn't protect his wife from the thing he hunted... Perhaps seeing that is what drove him mad then. It looks like you two were there at the right time, who knows where his killing frenzy might have taken him otherwise.

I agree that Hemwick Lane may be a better choice than the Old City. They may both have these... 'beasts', although I reject the term: that was no animal. Anyway, they may both have these things, but it seems like if they are in Old Hamalthan, they may be... contained, for now. If Camus is right and SMC accidentally dug open some path from Hemwick Lane that will let them into the city, that should be our first order of business. Especially if that way lies a way to stop it for good at Cainhurst, from the sound of it.

As for spell selection... I can attest, the thing on the Bridge really didn't like fire. Aside from that, if we're going to try fighting it with traditional weapons, we better be strong: no offense Gregory, but it looked like the mace wasn't particularly helpful. Then again, perhaps the issue was a blunted object. That's the benefit of fur and thick skin. Anyway, I'm getting off my point. Fire spells, definitely. I also suggest abjurations that let you move freely: that thing had a crazy long reach, and if it grabs you... Well, we shouldn't let it grab us. I can prepare a few of those and extend it to last several hours: who will be wanting it tomorrow?
    Aside from that... If we think we're going to be facing the source of this... vileblood, that sounds like some powerful transmuter. Or maybe necromancy or conjuration? I don't know, either way it sounds like there is a strong caster at the root of this so we should consider antimagic spells."
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

At the entrance of Runestone, he lsiten to Daun's joke and smiles, "Yeah, sadly the only beast I want in my apartment would be Thing here".

Once inside, Archmage Camus listen to Kalir's tale about another beast fought that night and raise his eyebrow.
    "So there was more than one incident? And the Crow is a real thing? Many would consider the Crow as a tall tale to inspire fear. And this man, Gascoigne, was the father of the missing child?", he contemplates the surface of his tea and think for a moment, "Then finding that kid might be worthy our attention. It was an unlucky turn of events to her after all".

"And the fact he could cast spells and act with a certain degree of racionality make these beasts more lethal than I would first anticipated. From what Alfred the Executioner said, not all of the beasts feared fire, but many did, so they're can have unique abilities thta differ one beast from another", he sips the tea and close his eyes. What would happen to hamalthan should himself fall into bloodlust? A maniac with an axe was one thing, an archmage with lethal efficiency would be far worse.

"As for going to Hemwick Lane through Catedral Ward?", he says as to correct Kalir's Hemlock Lane, "I thing we better dont. Being a magical ward of sorts it was probably created to avoid any mundane intrusion. Probably a powerful Abjuration. And who know how they monitor the gate: invisibility may foil the naked eye, but many guards and wards can avoid it easily".

Once Kalir start talking about his weapons, Camus ask him to handle them for he to analyze them.
    "The prismatic burst enhacement", he says looking to the flail, "A powerful one as it is. Random, yes. As far as I know, there is only a single weapon-like spell of the prismatic subtype that you can choose which color will affect its target: the Prismatic Bow. A powerful evocation that even I cant use. Yet".

"My suggestion would be to get a new weapon. Maybe a Flamming one if you intended to use only fire. The prismatic ones grant many possible effect, but you'll have to resort to luck", he says giving back the flail, "And luck can be a fickle thing. It's harder to protect yourself against the many effects it can create, but you risk producing one that wont affect your target. It's both a good and a bad thing".

"As for your axe...", he pick the axe and found it strangely heavy, "From what you told me, this man had a beastly strenght. I can Identify it for more abilities, but that would require either a scrol of Identify, which can be bought here in Runestone, or some other item, like a Monocle of the Artificer, which is probably ten times more expensive. I heard its a very useful tool for the adventuring wizard".

"I have the Enlarge Person spell ready for today, so if you feel like I can make you the size of an ogre and you can try to see if you can swing it after the spell take effect. Or you can look for some wondrous item to allow you to wield weapons made for larger creatures: the Strongarm Bracers. It shouldnt be too expensive, I believe. If the spell work, I can make sure to have one or two ready for our incursion".

He give the axe back to the raptoran, "Of course, we'll have to go outdoors for me to Enlarge you. Or Sir Gregory here could try using it later".

Turning to the Helguard, Camus look at the key to Old Hamalthan and check it for magic, his irises turning white.

Spoiler: Detect Magic
    Show
    Focusing on it for three rounds, if it pings as magical. His Spellfcraft bonus is +31 (+33 if abjuration).

"We might investigate that place as well. If you believe there was at least another one freely preying at that night, maybe it managed to escape Old Hamalthan. Fighting some of those beasts might be helpful to spade what they can or cannot do before we head to their lair. Whoever this Queen of theirs are, she seems to be able to plan and act smart. So maybe a full ahead assault to Cainhurst will end with everyone in this room dead: the more we know about them the best suited we are for the task ahead of us".

When Sir Gregory du Vay start telling his tale, Camus cant help but sympathize. He give Amarille's portrait a quick look and sighs, "We dont know everything about this whole deal. Some people react different to spells or even normal diseases: a chilling fever might take me to bed for a week while you would probably shrug off the worst of the illness. Should I tire of you and decide to disintegrate you right here in the spot", he says and point a finger to him, "You would probably feel the pain and have some part of you turned to dust, but probably survive it. Should I use it on Thing", he says and turn his finger to the weasel, who look at its master with fear and run behind Daun, "It would probably be no more than fine dust".

"That said", he lower his finger and grab his cup, "Whoever you know and those who survived might have been either lucky or have a great deal of will power and/or endurance. We could try to find if this imprisoned hunter can shed some light on the matter, but as far as I know they're not academic, but killers: they had a problem in front of them and used lethality as the solution. Savagery, if you ask me, but that was what the situation asked for".

"If you feel like you can get answer from this woman: I would even follow you there to St. Noria. As long as you dont decide to leave me there, of course. You're an inquisitor after, so extracting answers from her shouldnt be too dificult".

Once the matter turn to SMC and a possible tunnel, accidentally or not, dug that let the beast inside the town, Camus pour himself more tea.

"I'm giving Lord Bardak a few more days to summon me to a meeting: as a representant of Runestone, they wont be able to deny it for much time. Until then, we better wait. I was planning on using a Scry Location to spy on the Catedral Ward Station, but I've tried to use it on Cainhurst Castle as it showed more promise of relevant information. If I'm correct in my hypothesis, probably the whole lot of workers at that station were murdered by beasts...", he says and call Thing back to his side, "Or were turned into beasts. If you will, I can even summon you, Lady Daun, to accompany me in this meeting since the druid community would like to hear what they have to say but...", he give aher a concerned look, "You would have to behave".

"As for spells, I'm able to cast a couple Freedom of Movement myself as well as a few teleportation spells to get people out of the beast's grasps", he look to Kalir and Sir Gregory, "Some of which would require someone to trade places with the one grabbed. I'll have some spells to make you faster and larger, as well as to protect you from harm. I'll also prepare a few divinations as well: one to check the station and another to find the missing child".

"If the inquisitor give me permission", he look to the imposing man, "I could try and ask the huntress politely about what she might know of the Scourge. That would involve some magical.... Manipulation".

He waits for any more input before looking to Kalir, "If that's all, we can try to see if you are able to wield the axe while enlarged. I'll see if I can find an empty classroom or laboratory for us to test".

Spoiler: Enlarge Person and Identify spells
    Show
    Considering Camus can get acess to an empty and large enough room for one hour, he'll lead them there and cast Enlarge Person on Kalir and see if he can use the axe without trouble once there.

If Kalir buy him a scroll of Identify (or the Monocle, to which Camus would pay half of the cost), he will cast it on the axe and discover its magical properties.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Yes, Old Halmathan is sealed and has been for years," Ilven agrees with Daun. "Gascoigne had the key; he was both completely mad and near the entrance. If there are beasts escaping from there, it could be his doing, or he could have closed them off before succumbing. I think if he'd left it wide open with beasts inside, we would know." Wild speculation, and on the Crow's information.

Ilven chuckles when Camus suggests they simply buy fiery weapons. Obviously wizards had no idea how much it cost to have magical effects when one is not capable of generating them. Clearly Runestone was far removed from reality. "Buying a new weapon of the same quality on short notice is... unlikely. However-" He taps the turquoise on his ring, bringing weapons and armor into being, and displays an ugly green crystal set into his bow. "These are cheaper, relatively. Mine adds the effect of acid, others can grant fire as well- if you only buy the right one. Seems I'll need a shopping trip."

He stows the gear again and turns to Kalir, noting that the Dragonslayer had a crystal of his own, whatever it did. "But if you don't wish to trade out your gem, you could just use the axe. It seems manageable in its... smaller state. If the Hunters have turned to hunting beasts, that should be an ideal weapon." Or at least what a madman thought was an ideal weapon. He scratches his beard and looks at his nemesis, the axe. "I have some funds set aside. I would be more than willing to pay for a scroll to learn why it hit so damn hard." Sure, he'd kept said funds in reserve for emergencies, but this qualified as an emergency.