New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Tides that Bind IC

@Kalir: Maybe Ilven is being secretive, like so many factions in this City. Oaths sworn years ago that can never be broken, like the Spirit of a Helguard...

Or he’s having a senior moment.

What you do know is of Valtr. Or as he’s known, Master Valtr.

What little you know of the man is that he, like you and Ilven is not born in Halmathan. He hails from some distant land and somehow made it to the City of Power, where he garnered the attention of Captain Ludwig and was invited to join the Helguard.

After that, the story goes blank. Members of the Helguard are not prone to making big public appearances- Ilven notwithstanding.

As to what he looks like? You know him by name only.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

@Daun: Glenndale sure is a big place.

And having been a druid living here for so many years, you have found a quiet little spot to meditate. get a grasp on your own thoughts, away from the rest. Because sometimes, even mighty Masters of Nature such as yourself need some alone time.

Upon hearing the wizard's woes, you meet Camus' eyes with your own and assure him that Kaylin will be found. She has to be somewhere around Halmathan. Couldn't have gone far. And if so, you will find her. She will be fine....

She will be safe.

And when the wizard proposes his own ideas as to what Cutter mentioned, you attempt to grasp some of it with the feeling of waking up from a dream. That seems to be where The Crow was headed...or where she came from. And if these beasts came from dreams themselves... well, how much sense does that make? You fought that thing at the bridge. That pain was no dream- it nearly killed you.

Perhaps for all your earthly powers, that which you are dealing with is not of this earth...and so, beyond the ken of comprehension. Thankfully, you have a wizard with you. Learned Men of Science and the Arcane.

If anyone can solve this, it's Camus.

@Camus: Daun has agreed to help. Good.

Now if only you can convince Ilven and Kalir, you should be able to brave Old Halmathan and go find your cousin.

As for this case on your hands? The Dreamscape.

There are many theories regarding places such as those. Some are transient, which are the most common. When the body rests, the soul or psyche- depending on how you wish to interpret it- wanders away from your body and is said to visit places and even time periods before and sometimes even after they are said to occur.

Very, very few people can actually recall what they see in a dream. At best, a case of deja vu. But vividly register everything? Unheard of in common practice.

Another more obscure theory states that a powerful mind can in fact create a Dreamscape. This is of course, merely a theory- and not one thrown around for fear of mockery. For who could do that?

If The Crow and whatever Beast you fought came from dreams, you may have to do more research into that. Right now, you need to give that ghastly eye one last look. Daun was not able to see through it without backlash. You are a wizard.

Wizards are always prepared.

It's a multitude of spells cast on your person as you sit on one of the tree stumps and uncover the jar as you take out your purple shard and place it on top of the canister, spinning it around as the crustal does not fall off the sides and your eyes focus on that floating orb swimming in amniotic fluids while the trees above you seem to grow taller and darker...

The shard spins and spins. Your eyes focused on who the owner of this eye is. Nothing matters now. Not even the fact that Daun isn't here anymore. That the grass and everything around you has gone dark. That the branches of the nearby trees move as if they were limbs and never mind the fact that fungi begins to sprout from the tree stumps all around you... no. Not fungi.

Eyes... unblinking bleeding eyes! The whole forest ring has grown covered in them as the smell of something all too familiar wafts into your nostrils:

Burnt flesh and bone. In intoxicating amounts... a crematorium? You have smelled that before. Once-

When Amarille died.

And yet, as unnatural cold creeps up your spine, you can't stop focusing on the object of your unwanted and obsessive affection, despite the fact that tall emaciated shadows in the likeness of men walks from amongst the trees in your direction, what little light cast from your surroundings glistening on sickles wielded in their stringy hands.

And then that foul breath. Brought forth from the grave itself as something is right next to you. Can't tell exactly what it is, but you can feel a cold claw playfully delineating your left eye socket as your eyes focus even more and amidst distant cackling from several women, you get a faint glimpse of a village, cast in moonlight and heavy smoke before the creatures ambling towards you stop and the presence right beside you howls in pain and frustration before your many abjurations take effect and then...

The lights turn on.

The stumps are just as they were when you arrived. No trees growing around you. No men- or what could be described as such, as a cold sweat runs down the side of your temple and you reach out to catch not only sweat...

But a drop of your own blood, as you feel right beneath your left eye and sense a minor cut. all while Daun sits across from you, blissfully unaware.

The crystal drops to the ground. Its purpose served. Its light dimmed...and slightly cracked.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kalir accepts the axe back from Zanthar and puts it on the ground behind him, out of the way. "The Workshop... although gone now, where was it? A piece of trivia for myself regarding the weapon I've been given."

The raptoran listens to the conversation between Ilven and Zanthar. In most any conversation between warriors throughout the city Kalir would be the senior. Here, he was the junior but not to the point of having to keep quiet. "Valtr. I remember the name but never met him. Sir Ilven, I would be honored to visit him with you." He gives the other two time to finish their conversation.

"I am glad to see the temple doing well. How is Recla doing?" Recla, or Rose Bear in the raptoran language called Tuilvilanuue, is the teenager raptoran that Kalir had watched over from greater heights as she focused on learning to glide. Like others of her age she would climb out onto roofs and jump. She had great discipline. Once she had jumped from an upper window of the Church of Kord. A gust of wind hit her unexpectedly, knocking her into the wall then falling the rest of the way. She was lucky Kalir had been flying on patrol that day and saw it. He was able to get to her in time and use the magic he carried to heal her. She immediately insisted on trying it again. He flew up, carrying her up all the way to the top of the Church. He set her on the roof and she jumped, determined to learn from her recent mistake. By the time she landed gracefully it was by far her longest time in the air yet. Soon afterwards Kalir arranged for her admittance to the Blooming Lotus. She was still relatively new there, less than a year.

"Master Zanthar, you are renowned among many things for skills against mages. I recently I had to deal with a powerful cleric of an evil cult. It was... quite the challenge. Humbly, could we focus my training on dealing with spell casters? Even if it pertains more to mages, it is a path it seems I should explore."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Plans were another tricky question to answer, for altogether different reasons. As far as Ilven knew, the plan was to go to Hemwick based on some Druidic trinket and suspicions about the source of the Beasts. How much had he been supposed to keep secret, again? “I’ve spent too long cooped up.” He runs a hand through his snowy beard, choosing his next words carefully. “Kalir’s interest in the Scourge has been… most diverting, in that regard. He’s found a few like-minded individuals- well, you saw the Archmage earlier. Nothing wrong with some investigation into the worst crisis of recent times. I have no hopes of succeeding where an entire city could not, but it doesn’t hurt to have a purpose.”

Visiting Valtr… might be a good idea to have Kalir along, if the fellow was really so “distinctive”. Was he frightening or somehow bizarre? Maybe just large? (Although that might be the lingering influence of Hannibal Rust’s appearance.) “Yes, if I had any idea where to find him. Perhaps we could ask the Archmage…or Daun.” Camus was so full of himself that he might take issue with being used repeatedly as a locator.

Recla… hopefully he wasn’t supposed to know that name too.
    He listens as Kalir asks the Hand of Mercy's professional opinion, and stifles a chuckle when the Dragonslayer claims Daegal was ‘quite the challenge’. The fight had been a bit ruff. “It’s not an uninteresting topic-you would be the resident expert. I’ve never faced off against too much magic.” …as far as he knew.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

@Kalir: The Hunter's Axe has seen its fair share of training today.

Zanthar eyes the weapon and then looks at you while her apprentices set up the training ground again for their own practice.

"They say that when The Scourge began, The Honorable Hunters stepped forth to combat the Beasts. Fighting in the shadows, they fought against these Beast and many say, against themselves. For many fell into an eternal bloodlust. A Hunt that would never end...

But that's just me digressing. In order to fight an enemy, you need the right tools. You have Thresher, for instance. It was crafted back in Runestone, yes? A single swing can burn, fry and even melt your foe. And that's if the recipient is lucky. So too, were Hunters outfitted with the best weapons at their disposal to deal with this threat.

And at the forefront of Trick Weapons was The Workshop. It isn't known how many different kinds of trick weapons were made- Hunters are said to have had varied approaches to dealing with Beasts. Some favored finesse and lightning quick strikes, the better to catch their inhuman opponent off guard.""

Zanthar eyes the axe again and continues.

"While others relied on sheer strength. Enough to drop their enemy with a single blow. Regardless of the technique and weapon wielded, The Workshop made them. Rumor has it that an organization here in Halmathan was behind the finance and development of these weapons, but such name was never released to the public.

As to its location? It was part of a Church, since Hunters were hired by them to deal with Beasts. But today, you won't find The Workshop- Hunters aren't needed anymore and so, the shop is closed. I was told that the one who forged them- the very first weapons, was a Hunter of exceptional skill. He is most likely dead now, but I would not be surprised if he passed down such knowledge to others and Trick Weapons can still be found around the world, since, and this may come as a little surprise to you:

The Scourge here wasn't the first one.... or so I once heard. Ancient history, I suppose."

On the matter of young Recla, Zanthar smiles.

"She flies now. Had you not saved her that day, I would not have her as my pupil. She looks up to you, Kalir. Not only as the one who saved her, but also an inspiration and example to follow. She has told me many times that she wishes to join the Royal Guard when she's ready. And when that time comes, I will speak to Lady Godefroy to see that she gets admitted to your Order, pemnding any trials she may have to be put there, which I have no doubt she will pass.

That raptoran is fierce. Determined and unrelenting, just like you. We need more people like that- with fire in their eyes brimming from the forge in their soul."

You made a difference in one person here in this City. And a compatriot, if not by tribe, by race. But there is one more pressing matter on your mind, as the fight against Daegal rings all too painfully in your mind and you instinctively reach to the back of your ear to scratch a flea that most decidedly isn't there.

Zanthar Seni chuckles at your request and walks around you, her size much shorter than yours, but no less deadlier for it.

"You fought a cultist cleric...and won. What more training do you require? Please don't tell me you believe the tales spun about me. I trained to deal with casters, yes. My skills have yet to fail me, but don't take to heart a song sung at a tavern, Kalir. You are, however, along with Ilven, one of my finest students- and I feel strange calling you that given not only your age but your achievements so far.

One never stops being a Disciple of the Sublime Way. If you wish to train to deal with mages- casters of all sorts- I will train you. And I won't charge, so cast that thought aside. It won't be something done overnight, though:

It may take weeks. Months even, but if you want to fight a wizard like I do, you may have to leave your life as a Royal Guard behind for awhile and remain here. I cannot force you to make this decision, but I believe you should know that once you begin, we don't stop until the training is complete."

@Ilven: The Hand of Mercy then takes her attention away from the Raptoran and onto you.

"Why so taken with The Scourge? It was dealt with a long time ago. Ilven, you are a Helguard. The Arrow of God. I do not know what you had to do during your time with such lofty companions, each a champion and savior in their own right, but...

You earned the right to retire. You wish to pursue phantoms where there are none? Be careful, Ilven Selma. Lest they decide to pursue you in return. And I see you have a wizard- sorry- an archmage in your midsts. I cannot say I know much about your Order, but what little I do know is that its founder was not a big fan of them. I guess the times are indeed changing.

Having said that, having a purpose is what gives us meaning. You are very wise, Ilven. I am sure you will take the right path.""

Then your thoughts drift to Valtr...

Zanthar seems to know him, if only be reputation and possibly the occasional glance. But of course, she expects you to know him a lot more, since both would have naturally worked together during the Glory Days. Do you really want to go find that man? Members of the Helguard- those that survived- they don't mingle with people anymore. Amren is just a chair bound shadow of his former self and would rather not have anyone even recognize him. Something he said about the Helguard when you met up with him a few weeks ago... what was it?

As for this Valtr guy? Why the reference to his appearance? You are a bearded elf and you are sitting down next to a bird/human hybrid. That's bizarre...and definitely distinctive. and if so, how to reach him? This City is huge. The man could be anywhere. Do you really need him? If you found him, what would you say? What would he say to you?

But finding him is possible. You have a wizard on your side. And a druid. Through almighty Magic, finding Valtr should be exceedingly easy.

But then you have to conceal a laugh when Kalir mentions the fight against Daegal as being "challenging". Come on, now...

Yes, Daegal used a bunch of vile spells on you and everyone. Yes, he turned Kalir into a dog, something he isn't letting Zanthar know. Yes, he knocked all of you down repeatedly with his profane magic...

And then you killed him. Not much of a challenge there.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Daun watches over Camus warily as he scries. When she had done it, she could have sworn she narrowly skirted death. Maybe the Archmage was more skilled than her. Hopefully he was, because honestly there wasn't much she could do at the moment. She paces nervously as the time passes while he scries. When Camus looks up again, apparently unharmed, she finally breaths a sigh of relief. "Anything good?"
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #727
    Titan in the Playground

Camus finish his scrying spell and pick the shard back, with his stare longing on the shard for a moment longer than usual.

"Same thing. Visions of a ruined place. A crematorium", the archmage says and crouch on the floor once again, cursing as more mud splash in his robes, "And then that same presence appeared, but I carry too many wards for it to be able to harm me", he says and touch the wound just under his eye, "Well, almost. I'm a Master Abjurer after all. You did well in giving it to me back then".

Covering the eye once more, the archmage wonder what good it will do keep this grim trinket, "I dont think it will do us any good keeping that eye. I suggest you destroy it or get rid of it", he says and keep his train of thoughts running as he ponder. Or maybe I could give it to Dr. Cutter. He seemed pretty interested on it, might gain another audition with him with the right bottle of wine, his eyes run to the eye-in-a-jar once more, "In fact. I think I might get better insight from it in the future. Do you mind if I keep it?"

The elf then crouch and pick the eye-in-a-jar, "There is the fact it may be able to attract beasts, so I guess it will safer for me to keep it. Whatever is behind Kaylin, the Beasts, Hemwick Lane and Kainhurst Castle seems to be interrupting any attempt to divine on the matter, so it might as well be all related. I guess we have no much options left other than to go there and find out the truth for ourselves. I'll send for Kalir and Ilven to join us tomorrow. How does it sound? Tomorrow at sunset at Oeden's Tomb? Sounds like a... Good idea?", he says and take his pocket watch, "Or maybe tonight? But I guess tomorrow, right? You dont wake up expecting to enter a town of Beasts, do you?", he jokes and start counting how many hours since Kaylin was gone.
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2019-03-01 at 10:37 PM. Reason: fixing typos
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"No, I definitely suggest you keep it, if you're willing. I have no use for it, nor a place to put it or a way to keep people safe from it."

She scratches the back of her head nervously. "I've actually... Ever since we faced that Cleric Beast and the Crow said we might see more I've been... preparing appropriately. I don't know how daily spells affect a wizard, but for a druidess... We're very in touch with those aspects of the world that we seek to emulate during the day. I've had so many powerful fire spells prepared for so long, my hair is starting to turn red. Literally, look."
    Daun lowers her head and indeed the roots of her normally jet black hair are turning a burgundy color.

"What I mean is: yes, actually. I'm prepared to fight beasts tonight, if the others are. Ilven and Kalir follow the sublime way, which is more flexible than us spellcasters. As I understand it, they can be ready at a moment's notice. Provided, of course, they're willing and have nothing else going on."

Spoiler
    Show
    I assume that A Thousand Faces ability is sufficient mechanics explanation for how her hair is changing color.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #729
    Titan in the Playground

Camus look at the pocket watch and nod.
    "Last I time I saw them they were in the Temple of.the Blooming Lotus. Maybe we can check if they're still there", he offer, "I'll have to drop by Runestone to leave the eye in a safe place, but that's a quick trip. Sadly I foresaw no need for more Sending for the day and so we may have to find them the savage way".

If she's willing, Camus hails another cab this time towards the Temple of the Blooming Lotus.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Daun rolls her eyes, but follows him into the cab all the same. In the cab, she makes a bit of small talk. "So... What brought Kaylin here? "
    Show

11. - Top - End - #731
    Titan in the Playground

"She was here to extort me money", he simply says asyhey reach the cab, "She is family after all".

He summon his runestaff once inside the cab and play with his fingers in it, "I takenyou agree with mr that family really is a messed up thing, right?".

"My family invested their money on me so they thought it would be nice to send my cousin over to check how their investment was paying off. Have her educated in the arcane arts as well, using my title as a master key".

"And she's playing her role annoyingly well", he says and remember her attitude the last time they saw face to face, with her hugging the toilet at the Royal Mare, "But then again, she's family. I'd rather not have her involved in this whole... Mess".

He pause for a moment and look to Daun, "What about your family, Lady Daun? I thing you might be getting tired of listening to my voice. I sure do".

The elf give the young druidess a more careful look, "What motivate you in walking towards this mess instead of walking away from it?"

12. - Top - End - #732

Kalir listens with interest to Zanthar's telling of the Hunters and their weapons. The information wasn't common knowledge but she was much older than she looked and a powerful individual. He nodded in appreciation for the background. Recla's progress brought a proud smile to the raptoran. Zanthar's discussion of training guided the conversation to a more serious topic.

"In the fight against the cultists we cleared his lieutenants. The Sublime Way and Thresher played their part. As to the cleric, his protections made him immune to my efforts then, pitifully, he... disabled me for the rest of the fight. Even Iron Heart Surge was of no help. I do wish to accept your offer. I look forward to it. I do have some matters that need to be resolved before starting that path."

"As for today, I would be happy to lead training for the afternoon if you would like."
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

13. - Top - End - #733
    Titan in the Playground

@Camus: Just as Daun described.

Whatever or whoever owns this ghastly eye attempted to make contact with you. And not in a friendly way. Had you not been warded enough, who knows if you'd have walked out of this Divination with only a scratch under your eye.

There is a reason why Diviners back at Runestone- the ones worth taking notice, at least- are said to be a lot more prone to Madness than any other practitioner of the Arcane Arts. Peeking into the unknown can have dire consequences.

But this only solidifies your theory: all this must be connected. And although Kaylin may be an insufferable brat sent here to use you as a stepping stool to wizardly status, she is your family. And she is alone out there in the ruins of Old Halmathan. Although the idea of resting for the evening and going after her on the morrow is sound, Daun is eager.

The amount of power flowing through the druid is enough to brighten her hair into fiery auburn. Now you only need to get those two savages to agree, but first...

The carriage leaves Glenndale and you ask the coachman to stop with Daun inside as you make your way past Runestone's Gates and head to your private chambers.

It's already dark outside and only a few students remain visibly on campus. Chances are the Necromancers will start waking up for night classes, as you look around your room and decide on the best place to conceal this Eye in a Jar. Nobody should be able to walk in here and even if they did, the many wards you have here will alert you the instant that happens.

And if someone were foolish enough to walk in here without your permission...

You take a long look at the Tower of Magi as the gates open once more and you thank the driver for his patience before heading with Daun towards the Blooming Lotus.

Daun already knows your motives for going through all this- family is at stake. Close one, too. As the lights from the houses dash past you while inside the moving vehicle, you still hope deep inside that you may catch Kaylin walking around the streets, pull the car to the side, and drag her by the ear, just like a father would do to his spoiled child.

But none to scold tonight.

And given what you have learned, you need to ask the druid- why? Why would she get involved in this? Both nearly died at St. Abaidas Bridge. You actually died for a few seconds at the Olidammaran Temple. She could easily continue her life amongst the druids and animals and trees of Glenndale, without a care in the world...

Blissful ignorance, so common in savages is not so bad. In hindsight.

@Daun & Camus: It takes nearly an hour to reach the Blooming Lotus, since it's clear across town from Runestone.

Neither of you are forbidden from walking in- it's late, but not so late so as to close the school for the evening. A bunch of warriors doing their warrior things. Leaping and slashing and leaping again... not an ounce of magic gathered in all of them. It is true that the "Sublime Way" teaches their adepts how to channel their weapons and accomplish feats that almost...almost match the immeasurable power of a Druid and Wizard.

Can't blame them for trying. So let's give them credit where credit's due.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Titan in the Playground

@Kalir: Some more light shed into the mysterious Hunters.

Not a lot, but at least you have some tidbits of information that may come in handy down the line. But like Zanthar said, that's ancient history. Best focus on the now.

Recla is already flying and given her perseverance, she will become a powerful and renowned member of the Blooming Lotus and, with Kord's grace, a Royal Guard. Training here and at the barracks will take time, but at a guess, in a year or so, you just might be flying alongside her over the City.

Two Winged Watchers are better than one.

And then you focus the conversation regarding your most recent fight, which causes Zanthar to raise an eyebrow.

"Cultists are known for working within small enclaves, some of which have individuals of exceptional strength and skill. I am not surprised that your training here and Thresher were enough to dispatch them. But you mentioned that it was their cleric leader that gave you the most trouble? Hmmm...

There is one thing you need to understand, Kalir. This is something I have learned throughout my years training not only here, but in many other places:

A caster's true power derives on the psychological fear they can instill on their enemies. When you brandish Thresher against a wizard or cleric- someone with the ability to weave spells. Something in the back of your mind tells you that there is something lethal about them. That is because we have been told time and time again. For centuries, that nobody can match the power of these people because they can unmake us with a mere snap of their fingers.

Although some of these cases are true, they don't necessarily need to apply to everyone. As a master of the Sublime Way, you have trained your body and mind to circumvent and turn those tales into just that. Remember:

If we are bereft of a weapon, we are still capable of finishing the task at hand.

The same cannot be said for them. They rely on outside sources to fuel their power. Not us. Be aware of that in the future, should you decide to engage another such foe.

And I understand if you wish to postpone training for a later time. I know the Royal Guard have a very busy agenda. as for leading the training this evening?"

Zanthar walks to the balcony overlooking the arena and clears her throat, as the dozens of young martials stop and stand at attention while you stand beside your mentor.

"Tonight, before the Blooming Lotus closes, you will be treated to something very special:

Kalir Kalaan, Halmathan's Winged Sentinel and one of our finest alumni will be training you. I am sure you know who he is, so don't hold back...

Because he won't. Show him what you have learned all these months!""

Twenty four warriors. Most in their early twenties. Not kids anymore, but they sure look nervous as you spread your wings from up above and look down upon them with your famed mask and Thresher held in one hand while Zanthar looks down on them and lowers her voice.

"Try not to hurt them too much. They are still learning the basic Disciplines. I don't want them leaving this place and never coming back, but given your abilities, such a number ought to be sufficient for a good spar.""

That's a lot of people. They don't wear any fancy armor or any recognizable trinkets, but if they gang up on you, it'll be hard to not break a few skulls with thresher to push them away. A single hit ought to dissuade them.

And as you land on the arena, and lock eyes on these eager victims students, you give them a smile, which is hard for them to interpret as jolly camaraderie...

Or that look a killer gives to his prey before their lives are snuffed out. In the most painful and agonizing way possible.

And jjust in time, as you catch sight of Camus and Daun, walking towards the stands and taking a seat on one of the many empty chairs as the two dozen initiators shake a bit and gulp while others begin to surround you. Their weapons vary, depending on the School they have chosen. Knowing Zanthar, these must be masterwork...at best.

It's not even fair, but if these people want to one day achieve Greatness, this is the best way to learn.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"Family is... complicated, yeah. I think it's nice that you're spending time with her though. Or will be soon, at any rate. Sometime girls her age just act infuriating because they want you to show you care. Or something. I dunno, I'm not a parent. I was a bit of a brat for a time as well." Daun shrugs, thinking back to her own teenage years. She had had a pretty irritating rebellious phase as well. Unfortunately, some people wrongly assume she never grew out of it.

"My family and I don't really see eye to eye much these days. They um... They wanted a different path for me. I said no, and I think they're still processing that answer. As for why I'm doing this sort of thing, risking my life with beasts and fake church leaders and all that... I wish I could say it's just because I want to help the city. I mean it is, I do want that! But... I don't know. I'm on the run from my problems, I suppose. I guess I just feel like the more I run to something, even this crazy stuff with dreams, the faster I run from the stuff I'm afraid of. It doesn't work though. Actually it makes it worse: when I have a day to rest I can't really rest because I'm too busy worrying about the things I've been avoiding. Is that crazy? I'm less afraid of giant killer dream beasts than I am of a damn dress..." She gazes out the window as she talks, then suddenly grows aware of just how much she was rambling. "Okay, now I see what you mean about getting tired of hearing your own voice."

When the cab pulls up to the Blooming Lotus, Daun is happy to have some sort of exit from the conversation. She nearly jumps out of the cart, looking around the training grounds with piqued curiosity. She'd heard about this place before, of course, but never actually been there. It's not hard to find Kalir: the six foot tall bird man tends to stick out, even in a building full of warriors. She arrives in time to hear Zanthar's announcement, and excitedly finds a place to watch. "Oh, Camus, quick! Kalir is fighting a bunch of trainees!" She calls to the Archmage in a voice that's probably altogether a bit too loud given the circumstance, and excitedly waves to the raptoran warrior once she has a good view.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #736
    Titan in the Playground

Reaching at Runestone, Camus make sure the Greater Alarm spell is functional and working before going back to the cab and back to Daun's tale. He is glad for a break of the talking (he had talked too much tonight) and now that the eye was safely away and out of his sight.

When the young woman says about her being a bit of a brat, he look at her with more curiousity, "A bit of a brat?", he says and grin, "I can hardly picture that". He leave the ironic comments aside though and keep listening to her tale. For once he try to picture that fierce druid he saw pouncing at murderers. "So they wanted you to be something else? I can relate with that", he says and get off the cab, "Dont let anyone tell you what you should be, Lady Daun. You should sing your own song. No matter how long you keep running, eventually things will catch up". And walls will break down.

They enter the Temple of Brutes and Camus watch Daun's glee as the fight is about to start: Kalir versus several students. "Ah, the savagery", he whisper as he take a seat, "Good evening, Kalir! Again. Might I ask you for a word before or after you beat those poor kids senseless?", he ask the royal guard and take a seat, taking his spellbook to read since he doesnt feel like watching the circus, "If possible make it quick, cause I'm working on the clock here".
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2019-03-02 at 03:08 AM. Reason: fixing typos

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

“Why not the Scourge? Should I find phantoms, doesn’t that meant there was something worth chasing all along? If what you've heard was right and the Scourge was truly not the first, then who's to say it was the last?" A troubling idea.

“I’m not saying the Captain was wrong. In normal circumstances, magic’s a luxury and a liability. But our little pet project is a far cry from the Helguard. The Archmage is lazy enough to get magic to solve his every problem… but otherwise, he’s not a bad sort.” Hard to be a bad sort if he’d un-dogged Kalir. Not that all the ‘arcane might’ had stopped him from dying. Fragile kid.

Excellent, Kalir would have a chance to, as Roland would have put it, “do his thing”. Better find a seat, wait to speak to the Raptoran more privately afterward.

Then his eyes find familiar faces across the stands. What were the mystical ones doing here- wait. Was the archmage seriously reading? ...maybe he shouldn’t have told Zanthar he was a decent sort, that’s just rude. At least Daun looked properly attentive. Ilven takes the seat nearer to her. “Lady Daun, what brings you to the Blooming Lotus? Thinking of branching out from Druidcraft?” He has a vivid mental image of the Tiger Claw discipline being more literal than usual. “Or are you just here to check on our friend’s recovery?”

18. - Top - End - #738

Quote Originally Posted by Zanthar
    Tonight, before the Blooming Lotus closes, you will be treated to something very special
    The master's choice of training surprised Kalir but he instantly agreed with the wisdom. A smile formed as he lowered his mask. He tilted his head a little toward Zanthar so only she could hear him. "Thresher may end up turning someone into stone or sending them to another plane. Better to save that for real enemies. Plenty of other options of course." Kalir looked over the students below, letting them prepare or begin facing their fears if they were so inclined. They would feel real wounds. It was an unfortunate but important part of training. Practicing solo forms, sparring with blunted weapons, and attacking dummies with real weapons were all part of training, but so was continuing to fight with real threat of injury and keeping mental clarity with gaping wounds. That was the way of real battles, whether on your own or with comrades by your side. The Healing Ministers would be busy tonight if Master Zanthar granted them the luxury. Granted it was a luxury he himself had no issue making use of when needed.

The mask sharpened his already acute vision. His gaze took in the various students. Recla was easy to pick out but he didn't allow himself to focus on her. They were all equal threats at his point. He noticed the archmage and Daun moving in the stands. They would have to wait.

The raptoran jumped clear up into the air and took flight. He had Thresher in his right hand and the Hunter's Axe in his left. He circled the group below, arms out showing off the deadly weapons. He watched for how they readied themselves for battle. He activated his cloak and he became a blur circling them again. The master would be keenly watching their every reaction even before blows were struck.

Kalir turned hard and dove to disrupt any pattern the students may have been expecting. Just above the ground he did a somersault and landed solidly on the ground outside of the mass of students. It was unwise to make ones self surrounded without reason. Now wasn't the time. Perhaps later. If they dared.

The senior warblade took a fighting stance. Wings tucked in. Left foot forward with his feet should width apart and soft knees. His right hand held the Hunter's Axe, the very weapon they watched him devastate so many wooden dummies just an hour ago. His left forearm threatened with a spiked gauntlet. Thresher? It was attached to his hip. The untrained eye would wonder when that happened. He readied to strike any that dared approach. Who that would be was a test in itself.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Adaptive Style before taking off. Depending how we're doing this, first blows will be non-lethal.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #739
    Titan in the Playground

@Ilven: Zanthar listens to your reasons while the young students practice below on the arena and nods.

"You may have a point. If the Scourge has happened before, we will never truly know. You are a Helguard, Ilven. What you and your Order did beyond these borders is unknown- even to me. So if you choose to chase these phantoms, do so. I have no doubt in my mind that you, the Arrow of God, will never sway and strike unerringly.

As for your pet project, is it? Who am I to judge? If you believe there is something amiss in the City, who will stop you? The Holy Blade and his Order are the reason why Halmathan is what it is today. Maybe you had no need for wizards back in the day. But times have changed, haven't they?""

And then Daun and Camus show up at the Blooming Lotus and despite not being many spectators given the time of night, your Archmage does the best thing he can do in such an honorable House of Learning:

He ignores the pristine teachings of the Sublime Way and opens a book, not really caring at all about what is about to transpire in the arena as you approach the druidess and look at the young eager adepts, each more nervous than the nest as Zanthar announces they will be training by going against Kalir.

Had they gone against you, it would've been a lot more unfair- you did specialize in ranged warfare. At a quick glance, you could probably drop four of those kids with a single volley. The match would be over before it truly even began.

But if they are here, they know what they signed up for. It's no Helguard, but if they want to earn their place in History as disciples of the Sublime Way, what better way to learn?

@Kalir: Zanthar looks at Thresher and then at her students below before you leap down to face them.

"I was counting on your wise judgement regarding that. You shouldn't need Thresher against them. Although they have trained arduously here for months, they still have to face a real threat beyond these walls. They show promise, but dummies only get you so far. One day, these young men and women will walk out of this City and seek to make a name for themselves, most likely forming a group to fight whatever the Helguard didn't dispose of.

Others might want to lead like minded individuals. But for that to happen, they need to know that the real world is a dangerous place. I will not be there holding their hand once they leave the Blooming Lotus. reason why I want them to have a taste of what they might encounter further down their life as warriors of the Sublime Way.

That being said, it's training. I know how strong and skilled you are and I am sure you have gauged the enormous power difference between you and them, reason why it's you versus two dozen trainees. I have been teaching them the basics of teamwork. Even against a strong opponent, they should have an edge, but that depends on the decisions they make.

Have fun down there.""

And so, you are reminded of the days when you were amongst those below, facing stronger individuals. Zanthar herself would occasionally challenge your class, which doubled in size from what you are facing now and although you had prior training slaying dragons, The hand of Mercy was a formidable opponent.

In the span of a minute, all of you would lie strewn on the ground, limping and gritting their teeth in pain before your mentor would stand above all of you and remark on your flaws, while also praising your tactics. Needless to say, life at the Blooming Lotus was a daily discovery of Pain, followed by Enlightenment...

And that's why you are here today, Halmathan's Winged Sentinel and regarded as one of the top soldiers in the Royal Guard, unrivaled in the entire City as you descend and your vision goes red for just a second before you land and brandish the Hunter's Axe for all of them to see.

You can smell it in the air- fear. They know who you are. A Royal Guard. Just one is able to lay waste to an entire City block on his own. And that is no tavern tale. That's why you are an elite amongst Halmathan's military.

Is this fair? No. Not in the slightest. But out there? Beyond the Blooming Lotus? If they plan to use their training, be it for Justice or personal gain, they will not have it easy. Those they will face will fight dirty. In a dishonorable fashion. Few opponents in the real world will give you a sporting chance and yet... you let them see what they are in for as the Hunter's Axe is held in its non transformed state for all of them to see and glance quickly at Recla, who grips her scimitar and locks eyes with you.

The others are just as nervous as her- they just say you decimate wooden dummies with that axe and Thresher has and you have become something of a legend here at the Blooming Lotus.

To face a Royal Guard... they might as well be facing a god .

Your body already adopts not only a warrior's stance, but begins to blur, so as to give them an even harder time striking you. Since these are novices, using the blunt end of the axe should suffice. No reason to kill them. Maim them? Sure. But that's why you there are always Healing Ministers around.

After this, the only thing broken will be their ego. But that's a lesson everyone needs to learn.

And then, all twenty four of them cautiously begin to surround you. Some wield rapiers. Others a tad more exotic weapons like nunchucks and for the very bold, their bare hands.

The sturdiest of them swing great swords in order to attempt to intimidate you...

It fails in a most impressive manner.

And then, spaced out as evenly as possible... they charge at you.

The blades come at you, but you are not even fazed, as each and every swing misses its mark. One of them almost strikes your chest with his blade, but your blurring effect sends the young novice rolling on the ground a few feet behind you as he looks up, anger in his eyes.

They are losing focus fast. That's not good. Even when a few leap like the rogues at the Olidammaran Temple and try to gain a flanking position, their strikes utterly fail to even scratch you as you shut your eyes and sense their presences all around you...

Your turn, as the Hunter's Axe strikes several around you, making sure to batter them good, but avoiding the sharp edge of such deadly trick weapon, as several take a few feet back from the pain. You aren't holding back if it's only to knock them down for a few hours, after all...

And then Recla leaps up a few feet and comes down with a war cry, striking the first layer of your skin and leaving but the most minute scar on your face as a single drop of blood lands on the arena- your blood.

And it is at this very moment that you feel your heart beat a mile a minute as that red haze envelops your sight and watch these two dozen shadows. Foes reminiscent of the fight against Daegal and something that did not occur back at the Olidammaran Temple, is unleashed here...

You snap.

Blood for blood. Beasts all over... Beasts fit to be put down!

The first to feel your wrath is a poor fool who tried to flank you as you grab his face and nearly crush his skull as you drive his head hard down on the arena, causing the entire temple to shake as you immediately swing your axe at another and watch his blood splatter on your face as a grin draws upon it.

Damn beasts are resilient... good. That makes the kill that much more enjoyable!

The others watch what happened, but don't give in just yet- this battle has just begun as they rush at you, claws drawn and you simply watch them growl in frustration before you swing the axe and splinter their claws, causing them to look at their hands and roar in confusion, but you aren't done yet.

Grabbing one of them by the throat, you spread your wings and fly low across the arena, carving a trench with the enemy's body before you lift him up into the air, look at his feral eyes and squeeze his throat enough to cause him to cough some blood before launching him towards the main group, which are thrown in disarray like bowling pins before you land and smile with glee:

So many. And so ready.

Your foes charge at you, claws bared and one of them even sprouts wings as they dog pile as their weight crushes on you like a mountain of shaggy fur and beastly grunts echoing in your ear.

Idiots... they are now DEAD!

For those watching from the stands, you can only see a pile of men and women trying to subdue Kalir, who laughs maniacally before every last apprentice yells in pain and Kalir, now looking more like an Angel of Death, swings the Hunter's Axe in its transformed state causing a massive explosion of blood that bathes the raptoran as the seriously hurt initiators are flung back several feet, with the other raptoran avoiding the worst.

As for you, Kalir... none of these beasts gets away.

You reach out with your left hand and hold on to the winged Beast and smash her on the ground so hard, that dust falls on the arena and the stands shake and rumble before you smash this flying foe several times on the ground with just one arm, bludgeoning her its hidoeus face several times on the ground before you place your foot on its back and drop the axe, ready to demonstrate that you and ONLY you, are fit to lord over the skies.

The beast wails in agony. Tears coming out of its feral eyes as you widen your eyes with murderous glee and begin to rip away its wings.

@Camus, Daun & Ilven: For the mage, who is not really concerned with what's happening, the sound of battle and grunts is yet another demonstration of savagery. Not worth his attention, except when one of the students is thrown not too far from his location, covered in blood and destroys one of the seats.

For Daun, this began as a a nice demonstration of what the Blooming Lotus can do. A training session...

But is it supposed to be this violent?

And for Ilven, who watches the carnage, it becomes all too clear:

Kalir isn't training with them- he's killing them. That damn axe is being used in a most brutal manner, but even before that, the raptoran is acting very different. You have never seen him fight this way. His strength exceeds what you have seen him do before. even his methods are different. Why is he doing this?

And then Zanthar, who has been calling his name several times from up above, vanishes in a curtain of shadows and appears right behind Kalir as he's about to rip the younger Raptoran's wings and strikes his clavicle with the back of her hand. A precise shot as Kalir turns grunts in furious anger and frustration before turning his murderous gaze at his mentor, who immediately strikes his chest several times in precise points, causing Halmathan's Winged watcher to reach out for her throat before dropping on his knees and collapsing, unconscious.

@Ilven: Zanthar looks at her students, hopefully alive after this onslaught and calls out to you.

"Get him out of here at once! I have disabled him for a few minutes and I don't know if he'll wake up again in the same state. Do it now! I have people here to tend to. And once he's fine, I want to know what in the bloody hell happened to him!

This was supposed to be a training session, not a killing floor! Now take him away!""

20. - Top - End - #740
    Titan in the Playground

Raising eyes from his book and closing it, Camus look at the bloody scene, as someone is thrown at him. He watch the last seconds of the trainning.

"So much bloody violence. I take that was what you consider as... a great practice?", he ask Ilven truly ignorant on the savage way.

Not sure if he should walk in their holy trainning grounds or not, he decide to walk closer anyway and check on the unconscious Kalir and the broken students. Something is wrong, but they all jumped him with weapons at hand to fight, so it was no wonder they all ended this beaten. What did they expect?

"It's Master Zanthar, right?", he says and look at all them, "Are they going to be okay?", he says looking at the students and picking the Hunter' Axe and turning it back to a hand axe. He did check it before, when Kalir was Jackalir.

"Hey, Daun. Can you help pick Kalir up? Ilven is too old to carry him by himself", he ask Daun, content in helping by taking the axe alone.

Turning to Master Zanthar he motion to the downed ones, "Will they be okay? Some seem pretty... Enlightened?"
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2019-03-03 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Typos

21. - Top - End - #741
    Titan in the Playground

@Camus: So... what happened?

Savages like Kalir and his ilk fight like this all the time, but now it’s all drama. There is a reason why you’re a mighty Archmage- you don’t débase yourself to the level of these people.

And although you couldn’t care less, like the god you pay homage to, there is the Hunter’s Axe, which is of importance, since it should fetch a good amount of money for you... if Kalir ever recovers.

The students don’t look well. Not at all. Some aren’t even moving and the younger Raptoran’s cries of pain echo through the Blooming Lotus as she tries not to flap her wing, still attached to her back by a few bloody ligaments.

Zanthar doesn’t even look at you, but your comment is not unheard as those few that can get up assist their companions and she walks towards them, addressing you.

“I seriously do not have time for your sarcasm, mage. Get Kalir out of this House. Now!”

22. - Top - End - #742
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm sorry, but not sarcastic this time", he says. Sarcasm is a form of inteligence I dont think you may truly grasp, "In fact I was too busy to watch until the final moment".

"And its archmage, Master Zanthar", he correct her and look at her fallen students. Are they dead?

If the Scourge is coming back, we better make sure even those savages are in fighting condition. And if the Crow speak the truth... Then magic wont be so useful against those beasts. Winning Kalir's and Ilven's favor favor is also something to keep in mind if they are to join me to find Kaylin. And if the Bloodlust took Kalir, I'd rather see what it can do if I am to cure Kaylin. Or anyone else, he thinks for a little moment and then look back to Zanthar, "But I'll excuse that mistake as I see the situation is serious. Allow me", he says and take a deep breath and focus his mind on the many wounded students, "I wish these men and women were in a better shape. Except for Kalir", he wishes and focus on all students, healing any of their wounds. At least some are still moving.

Spoiler: Limited Wish
    Show
    To cast Mass Cure Light Wounds, healing them all (except Kalir, which the mage wont heal right now) for (1d8+14)[15]

Of up to 14 targets only.

"I guess our night trip will have to wait for tomorrow, Daun. I guess it would be most unwise to take Kalir along with us and I guess I'll want to figure out what just happened. Ilven and Daun, help me move him away before he recover his mind". Despite asking for them to help, he doesnt do anything other than picking Kalir's weapons. If he was to remains in this state, he better be disarmed.

He offer his hands to Daun and Ilven, "I'll move him to Runestone where we can check what happened. You coming along?"

"I'm sorry we had to be introduced under this situation. I healed those I could, but I'm no Healing Minister. I'll treat to Kalir now, Master Zanthar", he give her a nod and disappear completely from her sight.

Spoiler: Teleport
    Show
    He'll teleport himself, Kalir and (if willing) Daun and Ilven to his chambers.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Glancing back at the Master- what did Ilven know of teaching, his last attempt at training a student had backfired rather spectacularly- maybe this was how training looked nowadays? Maybe Zanthar had asked for something more real than the usual... but as Kalir started swinging the Halberd, he’s put in mind of its original owner.

That... was not right. This wasn’t Kalir. The style, the carnage… definitely the maniacal laughter.

But Zanthar had Orders, and he was glad to obey.

“How long’s he out?” He calls to Zanthar as he heads to the downed madman Royal Guard, keeping an eye out for any sign of conscious movement from the feathered form. “Don’t trust he’s down,” he warns Daun quietly. Not that he didn’t trust Master Zanthar, but… Gascoigne had sprung back up again, more dangerous than before.

And when he and Daun bring their winged burden to the Archmage, all Camus has is more words. What, did they think they could handle an insane Kalir without him? As if. “Yes, I’m coming,” he snaps. “Be quick about it!”

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Daun's entertainment quickly changes to worry as Kalir's training session turns into a bloody execution. She jumps to her feet, but Zanthar was several steps ahead of her, already knocking out the out of control raptoran. When Camus tells her to grab him, she wastes no time. She wasn't strong enough to pick up the armored guard... in this form. With another quick morphing of her body, she changes into a massive ape: an animal that should have no trouble picking up a tiny six foot raptoran.
    She hefts him onto her shoulder, looking a mix of scared and furious at Kalir.

"Let's go."
    Show

25. - Top - End - #745
    Titan in the Playground

@Camus: You could leave.

After all, if this happened in your chambers or at Runestone, you would have the absolute authority to command any unwanted visitors to evacuate immediately, or face the consequences.

However, who is this savage to tell an Archmage as powerful as you what to do? In the sorry state Kalir has left the Blooming Lotus, it would take a mere wave of your hand to level the place down and end any who survived his bestial onslaught. And it would be very easy, too:

You can use "Magic". And isn't that the most powerful tool in existence?

Zanthar looks at you from the corner of her eye as the moans of pain from those who faced the Royal Guard reach your ears.

"I could not care less who you...""

You could really use a cleric about now. As you watch the fallen and injured and then take a look at Kalir, knocked out cold with barely a scratch and order the Powers that Be to answer your call and replicate one of the many mysteries emnployed by the faithful servants of the gods, as a pale golden nimbus washes over a few butchered practitioners of the Sublime Way.

Not all, of course- he did fight a lot of them- and threw them all over the damn arena, but enough to watch a few of those so touched by your spell stir on the ground. Some, not all.

This doesn't ease the cries of pain from the students, though, as a few limp or drag their broken bodies on the ground before Zanthar Seni stops mid sentence and recognizes your handiwork, sighing.

"Thank you... now get him out of here.""

What happened to Kalir? Who knows. You weren't exactly paying attention during the fight, but you know what a battlefield looks like, especially after the fight against Daegal. This is no battlefield, though:

This is a slaughter house. There are many theories running through your mind right now. And a few key names. Research. You need more research in order to conclude what happened to the raptoran and if there is any connection. You won't get it here, though. And in the off chance he wakes up with the same intentions, you are quick to pocket his weapons, not unlike a shaggy lowly scavenger, who awaits for the mighty lion to fall before taking a few cowardly nips.

@Ilven: There's a reason why you never liked that axe.

It never liked you in the first place. Its owner was a raging lunatic who almost butchered you at Oedon's Tomb and Kalir was quick to keep it, for posterity.

Zanthar is most likely regretting her decision to allow him to educate her students. But who can blame her? Kalir and you are considered some of the top students at The Blooming Lotus. Experienced enough to open your own school. Nobody could've foreseen him actually going to kill them, which was his intent mid training.

Mistakes were made, but again- can you blame her? Your own attempt at being a teacher so long ago nearly cost your team's life. But for now, secure the Raptoran. Make sure he's not a threat to anyone as you leap over the stands and kneel beside him, removing his mask and opening one of his eyes.

Dilated and slightly reddish. His breathing is accelerated, but other than that, he's not moving. Knocked out cold as the Hand of Mercy tends to one of her students.

"Any other man would be out for days after that. Kalir is no ordinary man, though- his body should snap back to full functionality in about ten or twenty minutes. I will make sure my pupils are tended to... as best as I can and Ilven...""

Zanthar turns to look at you while Daun approaches you and Camus places his hand on your back, intoning words of power as the Blooming Lotus begins to rumble and shake, unmaking itself.

I want to know what happened to him. Bring him to me should he regain his senses. If he does not, then you know what to...

The last part cannot be finished- Camus is quick with his spells as all four of you appear in his chambers and you carry the raptoran and place him on the archmage's bed and step back, keeping an eye on him and also on Camus, who holds on to Thresher and the Hunter's Axe as if they were the most sacred artifacts on this wide green earth.

@Kalir: Recla has definitely matured.

Her attack was precise. Zanthar has trained her well. You barely had a chance to see her leaping from above. The downward strike needs polishing, though. Perhaps you may have to train her personally after this. While you train with Master Zanthar. The others are good.Eeager- too eager- but devoted to their Disciplines. You can't help but admiring their dedication to the Sublime Way.

These are, after all, Halmathan's future...

And then intense pain all over your body as your thoughts are washed away and with a loud grunt, open your eyes and look at a familiar ceiling:

Camus' room...again? Why are you here?

Why is Daun and Ilven looking at you that way?

And why the hell is Camus holding on to your weapons?

26. - Top - End - #746
    Titan in the Playground

Taking Kalir to his room alongside the others, Camus frown a little when they move him to his king-sized bed, but says nothing. At least he was mostly intact, so no risk in having blood in my sheets, but as for feathers... Hopefully he doesnt have fleas anymore.

"Do you think you can treat him?", he ask Daun and watch as Kalir rest, "Do you think it might be Bloodlust? If yes, should we tie him?"

Although he just healed several people, healing and medicine wasnt among his area of expertise and so the elf decide to boil water for some camomile tea. Maybe some calmative tea might help them after this whole situation. He let the Helguard and Daun to take care of the winged guard as he start to analze both Hunter's Axe and Thresher for any curse or malignant effect.

Spoiler: Monocled Wizard
    Show
    Using monovle to identify Thresher and the Hunter's Axe, just to rule out the axe as being a cursed item.

Once he's done analyzing both, he proceed to analyze an lingering aura on Kalir. "Maybe he's under a curse? Some ongoing effect from the Jackal", he says outloud, but more to himself as he try to see if the raptoran is under any kind of magic.

Spoiler: Detect Magic
    Show
    After using the monocle, he'll study Kalir to see if any magical aura is on him, other than the usual from his remaining magical gears.

His Spellcraft mod is +31 (+33 for Abjurations).

Just in case, he decide to cast a Break Enchantment on all of them and Kalir's weapons, letting them know in advance what he's planning to cast.

Spoiler: Break Enchantment
    Show
    On Kalir (1d20+15)[29]
    On Daun (if willing) (1d20+15)[29]
    On Ilven (if willing) (1d20+15)[32]
    On self (1d20+15)[24]

On the Hunter's Axe (1d20+15)[17]
    On Thresher (1d20+15)[16]
    On his Scrying Shard (1d20+15)[35]

If anyone present an weapon they want to have it cast on, Camus can affect up to 16 cursed items or people.

After doing this the mage start pacing his room in deep thoughts, eventually putting the eye-in-a-jar in his resting place: in the middle of his Greater Alarm circle. He keep his thoughts to himself and drink his tea, while waiting for Kalir to recover his conciousness.

Once the raptoran open his eyes, he look at him and ask.
    "Are you feeling better?", he ask him and on an affirmative he make a follow-up question, "What happened in the Temple of the Blooming Lotus?".

He cant help to wonder if Dr. Cutter can shed more info on what happened. He did say if there was a potential patient he could bring him over for him to check.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Titan in the Playground

@Camus: And they had to put him on your bed... great.

The raptoran is covered in blood- but not his. That of two dozen warriors he butchered not too long at the Blooming Lotus. Your sheets will need to be cleaned afterwards, that's for sure.

You have heard that the Royal Guard are considered the finest warriors Halmathan has. In fact, many trained here in Runestone. Each is said to be a one man army, but such tale had been dismissed as sheer marketing to elevate that Order and possibly inspire fear on would be criminals.

But after seeing the massacre, who knows Does the City need weapons like Kalir running around, going berserk?

And speaking of weapons...

While Daun and Ilven watch the unconscious raptoran, you don the monocle and analyze Thresher and the Hunter's Axe.

Both have the exact same properties you would come to expect. No malign effects on them. Kalir himself presents no signs of a curse. No enchantment he has fallen into. The man simply... snapped. It is true that when under stress, people are known to let loose of their emotions. usually with negative connotations. A brief relapse in their mind. This is not of magical origin, but rather psychological related.

Reasons why someone would snap? Someone like Kalir? Several since you met him, but to unleash such pent up rage on trainees? Who knows:

Maybe Doctor Cutter's proposal isn't so bad after all. Something to consider. Can't have this guy going insane if you are to take him to find Kaylin. Who knows if your own spells may be able to hold him down if that were to occur. And once everyone has agreed - or not- to be freed of any hostile incantations and finding none, you boil some water and prepare tea for everyone gathered. Good enough to relax the nerves after tonight's grisly demonstration.

And as the kettle whistles, you lift it from the stove and turn to watch the raptoran stir and open his eyes, looking at everyone gathered and ask him if he recalls anything from the last ten or so minutes.

28. - Top - End - #748

To those watching the inert raptoran closely, a slight smile came to his face. Then his head, eyes still closed, jerked slightly to the left as if looking that way through his eyelids. His right arm tried to snap back but was hindered by something as soft an an archmage's mattress. There's a pause in his movements followed by his whole body twitching hard, extremities contracting to center. "OWW!" Kalir's eyes open as his muscles loosen some. His eyes dart around the room. He uses his elbows to push himself half up.

"Why are we here? The adepts won? How? Who?"
    Show

29. - Top - End - #749
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Daun had been pacing since Camus teleported them back. She clearly had none of the archmage's calmness. Pretty much as soon as the raptoran is up, she rounds on him. "Oh no, you definitely won." She's right up in the raptoran's face, and given he's sitting down, they're about the same height. Even in a human form she's still spitting venom, so to speak. She pushes hard on his chest when she says 'won', nearly knocking him back on the bed. "Yeah those students will have plenty of time to think about your 'lesson' as they clean their bloodstains off the walls. They'll be doing that for days. Those that can stand, anyway. Would you mind explaining just what the f**k that was? You nearly ripped that poor girl's wing off!"

By the time she's done her tirade she's nearly on top of the raptoran, and red in the face. Though she's mostly angry, it's clear that beneath that she's scared. Perhaps she knows exactly what happened to Kalir, and is afraid of the same thing happening to someone else. Or her.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #750
    Titan in the Playground

"Calm down, Lady Daun. Here", he says offering a cup of calming tea to her, "We dont need anyone else snapping, right?"

He pour some for the raptoran as well.
    "How do you feel and do you remember? You went kinda of berserk back there and Master Zanthar had to intervene, knocking you out before you killed any more students".

Looking to the weapons he left on his table, he look back to Kalir, "Neither of them seems to cursed nor do you seems to be under any compulsion. I fear you might have fallen in a short duration event of Bloodlust or that you just decided to kill some of the after the trauma from last week's fight". Truth be told, Camus would like it to be the later, even if that meant the man just lost it.

"I'll try to contact the Crow tomorrow: she's helding any info related to Bloodlust and the Hunt. My other option would be take you to see a doctor", he says and instintively look to Daun, "But I'd rather not. The man is weird, but if it was a singular case of Bloodlust taking you to a church might mean you'll be dealt with the Scourge way".

Finishing his tea he drag a chair closer and take a seat, "I was hoping to speak with both you and Ilven after the training as I need your help for some matters, but I guess we need to sort out what just happened".