New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Tides that Bind IC

Daun goes on a tirade right in Kalir's face.
    You nearly ripped that poor girl's wing off!
    "What do you mean ripped her wings off? She moved brilliantly! Even got me in the face." He sits up the rest of the way putting his feet to the floor and puts his fingers to the mark on his cheek. "See? After that...." He tilts his head in confusion. "After that... nothing. Recla hit me, then I woke up here."

Camus starts explaining things. Kalir's eyes open wide in disbelief. "What do you mean 'killed any more'? I was still using the back side of the axe." Camus mentions going berserk and Bloodlust. The Diamond Mind discipline is about keeping control. The missing memories and then mention of Bloodlust gives him pause. His shoulders drop. He slides off the bed, knees crashing to the hard wooden floor. Camus keeps talking but it is all lost on Kalir. He looks up to Daun, his eyes puffy. "Killed? How many?" His body slumps down onto his heels and his back hits the bed frame.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Daun doesn't move to accept the tea, but exhales deeply and gives Kalir a bit of space. There was no point in being angry at this man, who clearly didn't know what just happened. Kalir's confusion chilled her fire, and as Daun's anger died away, all that was left was a black pit of fear. She slumps down beside the raptoran as well and tries to put a hand on his back, trying to calm him. And herself.

"I don't know. All of the students were looking pretty bad, but many of them were still moving. Some weren't. But... I didn't get a good look at them before we teleported you out. "

To him and the others she says, "Do we think it could have something to do with the axe?"
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

3. - Top - End - #753
    Titan in the Playground

"I just Identified the axe again", he says and nod to the weapons resting on his table, "It isnt cursed, but I cast a Break Enchantment on all his weapons and himself already. On all of us for that matter, so not a curse nor a cursed weapon".

Seeing Daun didnt accept the tea, he decide to drink from the her cup. No point wasting good tea.

"As for how many dead? I couldnt heal them all as I'm no healer, so at least ten of them didnt receive any heal from me. Couldnt help much more and Master Zanthar kinda asked us to get the hell out of there with you. She's worried about you. I made sure to heal the raptoran girl so she isnt among the dead, but I take it will take a great deal to apologize".

He look at the blood stains on his bed and sheets and sigh.
    "You were unconscious for less than half hour, but I think you better rest. It would also be wise to ask for a few days off duty until we figure out what happened. And I think we also let it a secret from the Crow as she would most likely want to terminate you if she fear you've fallen in bloodlust".

"There is someone who might be able to help, Dr. Cutter. One of Runestone's Grand Masters, but he's a little bit... Weird. Another option would be to go to a church, but since the churches were the ones who organized the Scourge, I fail to see them thinking differently from the Crow".

"But I'll leave it up to you if you want to see this Doctor. You can all bunk and sleep here: there is my bed and the sofa, the carpeted floor might give someone some small confort and I can see if I can get a spare mattress with some fellow mage. You're also free to go, but I would rather have someone with me to help keep eye on Kalir".

While he wait on their answers, he goes to Kalir and look at his eyes, "You seem okay now, but I would like to ask you something: when you sleep tonight I want you to try and remember if you have any dream. We heard some information regarding the Hunt and Dreams, and so I want to know if you dream of anything tonight".

Turning to everyone, he continues, "I also have a new lead and would like you all to go with me to Old Hamalthan. I need to check on something there that I saw when scrying on the place. My plan was to go tonight, but given the circunstances I think she may wait another night".
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"I'll stay." Daun is quick to say.

"I agree Camus, I don't think the Crow, good as she is, will be understanding. Or the church for that matter. And Cutter is the last place on Oerth I would take a friend." She looks at the raptoran. "Do you mind staying? You say you don't remember that happening and I believe you, but I think being with people is the best thing right now. For tonight, at least. If you don't mind, I can hold on to your axe and Thresher as well."

The last part, although more gentle than she was a second ago, isn't a question.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Ilven sighs and finally stops pointing an arrow at Kalir’s heart when the blood-covered penitent slips to the ground. A beast wouldn’t do that, no matter how wily. “The Crow will definitely want to kill him- and us too, now we’ve aided him. She made that very clear to us in Oedon’s tomb. She’s not an idiot, when she hears of the incident and who was responsible, she’ll know exactly what happened.” He looks askance at Kalir. “Your impression of Gascoigne was on point.”

“If we’re staying here, it’s best not to all rest at once. Any… relapses and he could chop off our heads and be done with it before anyone awoke.” And who knows how many sleeping wizards he could reach before an alarm was called? Hm… “Archmage, is there any kind of Guard or security within Runestone?” Or were the wizards just sitting ducks should, say, Camus fall to bloodlust on some other night? ‘I wish for the strength to tear everyone apart’- and he could be just as dangerous as Kalir. To a bunch of wizards, anyway.

“A new lead? Did you find Henriette?”

6. - Top - End - #756
    Titan in the Playground

"Runestone is filled with wards and I plan on adding another Alarm on whatever place Kalir sleeps on", he says and look at the bearded elf, "And as you can probably imagine, many of us can call on summons and other defenders should need arise. Other than that I'm affraid I cant spill any of Runestone's defense systems, as they're secret. But I agree with your suggestion of taking rounds of sleep".

He take the music box from the mail and sigh, "And sadly no. It was a busy week and I checked the mail just today's morning. But worry not: I plan on Scrying on her tomorrow morning or, since Daun will be staying, she might do it as well", he turn to her, "Hope you're not affraid of scrying after last time".

"As for the clue, some fellow mage here went missing. She was close to me and so her disappearance caught my attention and so I decided to Send to her, but her answer was... Feral. After that I've decided to Scry on her and saw her walking hurt and affraid in a ruined city which can be either Old Hamalthan or Hemwick Lane. So I've decided that it is time for us to find the answers the Crow says lie in Old Hamalthan and went to the Temple of the Bloooming Lotus but the rest you know".

Getting up, Camus look at the bloodied raptoran, "On that door you can find my bathroom. I think you might want to clean up. You can find clean towels on the cabinet", he says pointing to a door, "And I may have some of Amarille's pajamas that can fit you, Daun. Might have some of my own to lend you, although they might be a little short on both of you", the elf says. Both towered him after all.

"I'll take the stained sheets to my sink and see if anyone have a spare mattress or something to give you at least some confort", he says and start taking the sheets out of his bed, "The pajamas can be found there, as are clean sheets", he says pointing to a heavy wooden wardrobe, "Amarille's things are in that box", he says and point to a dusty wooden chest, "Think of Eternal Love as you open it", he tell her.

"I'll be right back", he says and let them in his apartment as he try to find someone who can lend him a mattress. Maybe Master Griswold?, he thinks and go knocking on the abjurer's door.

Spoiler: Night Preparations
    Show
    If Camus have a personal laundry space, he'll put the sheets there, else he'll fill bucket of water and leave them there to remove the blood stains.

He'll then check if Master Griswold have a spare mattress he can lend him with the excuse he got a girl friend coming over and he rather not have her sleep on the couch (since he sleeping in the couch isnt an option). If he does he thanks him and then thanks again for the meeting with Dr. Cutter.

He wont enter in much details of neither his friend nor how the meeting went (if asked he'll it was "one of a kind, but dont want to leave my visitor too long alone. We can speak more about it another day").

After that he'll come back to the room and help everyone get confortable to sleep, handling towels and pajamas to anyone, but since Camus is the shortest of the party and female elves tend to be slightly shorter than male elves,it probably wont help much. But at least none can say Camus isnt a gentleman.

He'll cast a Greater Alarm (audible version) around the spot Kalir sleeps. He wont give the password to anyone, but will set Broken Glass as the password

He return to his room and, if unsucessful of finding a spare mattress, just shrugs.
    "You can take the bed, Daun", he says and look to his couch and remember one of the arguments he had with Kaylin, which earned him a night on the sofa, "I'll take the couch. One of us will have to stay awake so we can take rounds on it. Hopefully the carpet will be comfy enough for you, Kalir. I can take the first round since I'll require 8 hours of rest as will Daun, so Ilven can take the second and Daun the last one. How does that sound?".
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2019-03-04 at 05:14 PM. Reason: fixing typos
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

7. - Top - End - #757

Kalir put his hands to his thighs and straightened up some. Slouching was never allowed in training so it was instinctual. His mind raced. He looked down to his hands. The purple of the Royal Guard tabard caught his eye. He leaned forward and took it off. It got caught on his left wrist. With his right hand he unlocked the spiked gauntlet and finished pulling both items off. With a backhand flick he tossed them against a far wall, far out of reach. At this close range the gauntlet was more than enough to cause destruction among the group before they could react. The tabard... he wasn't worthy of it.

Camus starts making a fuss about staying overnight. "No mattress for me. The carpet is undeserved. Rope, magic.. binding me is a fair precaution that I'll submit to. The students are more important. Daun, you have the healing touch. Could you go back to help? Tell Master Zanthar I am so sorry. I am hers to judge. Take any of my gear to sell for any costs. Except the axe. Can't let that go into unknown hands."

He pauses, thinking.

"The axe. Maybe that did it? Maybe it isn't cursed, merely influences or magnifies its wielder? It matches the warnings from the Crow. Mysterious as she is. If true, I didn't understand the warnings enough. The Crow may be the one that is needed. She understands resisting the Lust. I thought about having to spill some of their blood, NOT killing, as part of their test. That last thing I remember was having my blood spilt, that when you say I went berserk. The Barber- when I wielded the axe against him I don't think he hit me. Just disarmed me. I'll have to meditate on that."

"Archmage, you wanted to prove the Crow wrong? Here I am. If that was the BloodLust, I came back."
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

@Kalir: That's just not possible.

Ever since you joined The Royal Guard and trained under master Zanthar, you have learned to control your mind.Without arcane training, the idea of a Royal Guard falling under an Enchanter's sway is a very real threat and so, that is the one aspect of your body you gave intense attention to before honing the rest.

And barring that aside, you are not a killer. Your training involves hurting people, yes. Do you have the knowledge and ability to end someone's life? Absolutely, and in many different ways- Thresher or not in hand.

But any who have met their end at your hands have been quite deserving of it. Your oaths forbid you to hurt the very people you have sworn to protect in Halmathan. This was pledged not only amongst The Royal Guard, but at the Blooming Lotus as well. Zanthar saw in you great potential when you walked into her temple the first time and as the years went by, she recognized in you great strength and skill. Enough to have her speak at the barracks on your behalf prior to your tests to be admitted.

But more importantly, she saw in you something that cannot be measured in an arena or purchased at Runestone. Something far more valuable than any trick you can muster with talon or weapon alike. On top of that, she saw in young Recla a determined raptoran soul, just like you when you wandered alone through the huge wooden gates to meet her for the first time...

And now Daun says you nearly ripped her wings off. The blood all over your hands and body is not yours. The others aren't bleeding- they didn't get involved in any fights. Could you attack and possibly kill two dozen men and women? Yes.

Would you? Not in a million life times, but here we are. With unknown blood staining your body and the druid confiscating both flail and axe, while the Helguard keeps a sharp eye on you and slowly lowers his arrow, aimed straight at your heart...

The last unconscious murderer you had at your mercy got Thresher embedded in his skull.

@Ilven: Well, isn't this great?

Kalir goes crazy and nearly kills an entire class as The Blooming Lotus. And you didn't even get to check on the bodies, so the jury's still out on that "nearly" part. Whatever Camus used on them, hopefully prevented them from dying. But that's not the best part of the raptoran's episode:

If he has indeed shown signs of Bloodlust- and given that you nearly died to Gascoigne over a week ago and the man acted very similarly to Kalir tonight, that means the raptoran may just become target for a Hunter. And not just any Hunter.

The Crow may have been your ally against Daegal, but make no mistake- she did say quite clearly that if any would fall to Bloodlust, she would put them down.

A Hunter is a Killer, regardless of title. You don't reason with a killer. So if word comes out and Kalir is marked by The Crow and any other Hunters remaining in the City, they will come looking for him...and any who would stand by his side.

Having said that, as terrifying as Kalir was tonight, he doesn't seem threatening now. He is conversing. Shocked, yes. But responding to Daun and Camus' words with as much poise and reservation as someone that slaughtered an entire house would have.

That isn't to say we should throw a party for him. Congratulate him on a job well done of "breaking the terrible spell" and hand him an axe and a flail. Hell, why not throw your bow in while you're at it? He's damn good up close.

He definitely needs a ranged edge, right? As for what to do with him? Take turns. Sure, you could leave for your own house and let them handle him. But crazy or not, Kalir is wickedly strong.

Daun and Camus would be utterly helpless if the raptoran got a sudden need to kill later on tonight and decided to make his best Ted Bundy impersonation on both while they sleep soundly, without a care in the world. Camus says there's security here.

None for you to see, which means there is no security. You were a scout for the Helguard and its finest archer. Picking up sentries would have been your very first task upon arrival and deciding to stay in would most definitely warrant some sort of changing of the guard or whatnot.

Wizards, for all their alleged power...have none. And so you stay. Because it was your job out in the wilderness to keep your team safe, and so it is now. As you all decide to sleep in a cage with a starving lion.

@Daun: It isn't every day you get to share a room with a killer and not finish them outright.

What Kalir has done is outright monstrous. The man was reveling in inflicting pain and death upon those he fought. No, not a fight. It wasn't even a fair contest- those poor souls walked like lambs into the Lion's Den and never really stood a chance. If any did indeed survive, they will be scarred for life. A place they called Home became their burial ground. Their mentor turned into a monster and ripped them apart one by one.

However, he seems fine now... but for how long? And is this an isolated incident? You were ripping throats and disemboweling men a week ago. You were too caught in a frenzy- adopting the shape of a predator to achieve the best and bloodiest results.

But you were in control the entire time. Because you were, weren't you?

Regardless of that scenario, you make sure Kalir has no weapons on him and stow them away, accepting Camus' invitation to stay here tonight and watch over the raptoran.

@Camus: Tea got cold.

Useless now, as you pour the water down the sink and take a look at Halmathan's finest Royal Guard slumped on your bed, covered in blood. What to do with him?

He says to bind him. With chains if possible. This isn't St. Noria. This is a House of Learning- a real one, not the one were people splatter each other's bodies against the floor, walls and ceiling.

He seems fine now, but despite what Ilven may presume, Runestone has one too many ways to deal with interlopers and attackers. Especially those that would dare come at night.

You are an abjurer. A Master Abjurer. The moment anyone woke up with ill intentions, you would know. And then they would have no intention left at all. So when it comes to security, you are fine. The issue is what to do with him come the morrow.

Reach The Crow and tell her about this? Kalir will die. She will hunt the man throughout the entire City until he's cornered like a beast and then she will put him down in some dark alley.

Tell the Churches about this? Interesting idea...were it not for the fact that it was the churches who established the Order of Hunters in the first place to deal with a menace such as The Scourge. Although such grim event is way over, it isn't forgotten. Any church that got wind of this will take the same approach on Kalir that The Crow would. Why take any chances?

There is a less drastic approach. Not one many in the room would agree with, but there's Doctor Cutter.

The Grand master of Transmutation seems quite interested in all matters Scourge related. He might even have a cure and he is not affiliated to the churches- many wizards take on a more amoral path so that it doesn't impede on their research. That being said, he is, well... weird. The man doesn't even come to Runestone, but he did swear on his Hippocratic Oath to treat any such afflicted, should they be found and brought to him.

And this is assuming you know what Kalir had... which you seem to know rather well, but as well as the good doctor?

Then there is the other matter at hand. Your scrying. The people you've seen and places you have observed... but such things can wait. Just another day. At least they know now. Hopefully they accept. Daun already said yes, but a druid and a wizard can only do so much together before you have to get your hands dirty.

Speaking of... those sheets are stained. Runestone has a laundry service. Usually, students have to do their own laundry. Masters such as yourself can have this done by lower ranking students or the many staff that works here. Still, they are going to ask why the sheets are stained the way they are, that's a given. What will you tell them? Cranberry juice?

How could they even think you are lying to them.

And although your chambers are big, they weren't built for an entire group of people. Amarille did consider family once, long ago. But it was expected that by then, both would be gone from Runestone and have a house of your own to raise kids.

This isn't a place for kids. Thing gets a pass, but tonight, you'll have to make an exception. Griswold will not be reachable- he resides now in the Tower of Magi, a place reserved for the Grand Masters, of which you are not one of them. Still, you are an archmage and so, stepping out to campus, you spot a few young teens from the Necromancy school, savoring some hard liquor after their grisly classes and snap your fingers as they stand at attention, ordering a mattress- no questions asked.

It takes nearly an hour for a grimy yellowish mattress to be pushed through the door as the kids, smelling of cheap liquor and other intoxicants take a look around the room and you simply shut the door in their face as Ilven and Daun help pushing the extra bed against the wall, opposite your own much nicer resting abode.

Sleeping clothes for Daun- Amarille wouldn't want them to collect moths. Thankfully, the druid is very short- even for a human, so they should fit...almost.

Being a gentleman, she gets the bed, of course. The couch will have to be your bed tonight. Haven't had to use it as such since that one argument so many years ago.

The dirty mattress is up for grabs between Ilven and Kalir- you are definitely not laying on it. The raptoran needs to shower: nobody likes the smell of blood.

And once weapons are tucked away and other undesired objects are carefully warded, you take a look at the Raptoran, who keeps silent in the shadows, slumped with his head held low and blow out the candle.

@The Party: Who could sleep easily tonight?

You'd have to be a heartless bastard or a mindless moron to process everything you have seen tonight and just shut down completely, cast it away. Like a fading dream.

Despite there being little light other than that cast by the moon seeping through the window, each of you open your eyes in what appear to seconds after you have shut them, always alert of the Raptoran, while Ilven remains standing against the wall, arms crossed, bow and quiver resting against his leg, ready to be pulled out at a moment's notice.

As for Kalir... sleep comes as easily to him as to any of you, given the circumstances. And if there are any Dreams to be had... only the deepest reaches of the psyche would know.

Day 12

Another overcast day.

The sounds of students walking across campus and the distant bells announcing a new dawn awake most of you:

Thing likes to sleep in.

Nobody has been attacked. Confiscated weapons remain confiscated. What you do with the Royal Guard is up to you and hopefully only you.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Daun rolls her eyes when offered the bed over the others. "Why, cause I'm a lady? It's your bed, there's a person who needs bedrest, and a three hundred year old elf. I'm the only one that doesn't have a claim to it. Besides, I'm going to be a cat tonight to save space. They make their own beds."

She listens to Kalir's fears. "Oh come on. Something clearly made you lose control today: maybe that was you, maybe it was the ax, but either way it's your job now to do what you can to make sure it doesn't happen again. If you think sleeping on the floor will help, then do that. If you think a better night of sleep will keep your head clear, then take the bed. Don't make decisions because you feel 'undeserving'. Make the responsible choice that will help the most people."

She gets up and stretches, then walks over and picks up the ax and Thresher. "Sorry Kalir, but I'm sure your master has already gotten someone to contact the healing church. They're far more skilled than I, and they'll be there faster. By the time I show up people will be either healed or... Well, those that are going to get better will be better. Besides, we know beasts roam the city at night now. Going alone is asking for trouble. I'll check on them tomorrow."

She begins to shrink rapidly, sprouting fur, a tail, and fuzzy ears, until she's no more than a foot tall. Once the others have settled into place for the night she jumps up on Kalir's lap, kneads the blankets a bit with her claws, and curls up into a furry ball and starts purring. "There. If you get up in the night, I'll know."

The next morning, Daun wakes up relatively early and stretches her long feline body. It's clear to others it's probably not the first time she's slept as a cat: they truly get the best sleep in the entire animal kingdom. After a bit of morning stretches and licking her paws, the druidess returns to her normal form. She spends a long moment in quiet prayer as she gathers her powers for the day, then another slice of time brushing out her hair in a sunbeam as the others wake up.

"Morning," she says to the first person up. "Looks like everything went fine."
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2019-03-04 at 11:54 PM.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #760
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Cat
    Show
    Looking at the cat picture made me miss my cat (dont see him for a few days).

On the murders' night
    "I thought Ilven being a soldier would prefer some hard bed and as much as I lie my bed it's all bloody. Just changing sheets wont do for me, but make yourself at home".

The last thing he does before sleep is to order his magic quill to scratch a parchment like an invisible mad man's hand was writing something. The constant scratching usually lull him to sleep, but not tonight.

Spoiler: Scribe Scroll
    Show
    Glitterdust (min CL).

The next day
    The archmage wakes up to a very crowded apartment and feel like his night went down the drain.

During his trance, he build a possibility tree: its roots were the problem and the many twigs were the ifs. Each if became more and more ifs and a few of them had solution fruits. All of them tasted bad. Hypothetically, of course, since there was no tree.

He give all a good morning and start boiling his usual tea before he realize he used the expensive one. They might drink it and not even savor it. What a waste.

Checking his pocketwatch, he start studying his spellbook, shusshing anyone who speak while he studies. His house, his rules.

Once he's done reading, he close the book and store it.

"The house offer few variety of food. There are some fruits and some bread, but probably not of a feast", he let them know and pick the music box, "And as promised, I'll check on Henriette before I forget again. Thanks for staying here last night".

Taking his slightly cracked scrying shard, the archmage focus on the music box and says the little girl name.

"Henriette".

Spoiler: Greater Scrying
    Show
    On Henriette, using the box as a conection.

Will save DC 26 (plus the modifiers from conections and penalties from lack of familiarity - please check it as I'm on phone now and will shortly be asleep).

Once he's done, he have the music box play the song once and give it back to Ilven.

"Did you slept well?", he ask them and start getting the place clean. No magic involved other than a Presdigitation to remove the blood from the sheets. Not ruined, that is a change.

"I've meditated last night on the matters and couldnt find much solutions", he says dryly and look to Kalir, "I wont turn you in to the Crow nor to the Churches: you have been an omen of Hope in Hamalthan for some years now and you did all you could to protect Hamalthan. I know how much it hurts to kill someone you like and I know how deep that pit of guilty can go so believe me when I say you cant give up", he says and look to Amarille's portrait, "So I think out best bet is to find a way to heal you".

"Last night you said you wdre a proof that Bloodlust isnt something that cant be stopped, to handle you ti the Crow and rub your victory to the Crow, but... We dont know the Bloodlust's symptons, only the final stage. If you did fell for it, it just meand we have to hurry about it".

He take Thresher and the Hunter's Axe and offer it to Kalir, "You can give up or you can go down fighting this thing. There are answers in Old Hamalthan and just me and Daun wont make it through a city of beasts. We need all the help we can muster and you're the best Royal Guard there is, right? If we can find a way to heal you, we can them rub it together at the Crow's masked face. Sounds good?"

He turn to Ilven, "I know you're retired, but I think your legendary skill have better use in combat than getting dust and mold, so I ask you to join us. The person lost in the ruins I scried upon is my cousin and she might as well be a Beast now, so if I can heal Kalir I might heal her as well. This is what drives me".

"Once we find the answers that may lie in Old Hamalthan. If we find any, that is", he correct himself, "then we can try and meet with Dr. Cutter with more questions and have him check you, Kalir. And since I believe none of us can see clearly in the dark, might as well go now to Oeden's Tomb".
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2019-03-05 at 01:00 AM.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

@Daun: They saw you leap and shred a bunch of thugs a week ago and still treat you like a delicate flower... men.

Camus or Ilven can take the bed if they want. You? You have vast experience turning into various animals. It is true that many of the forms you choose are for combat, but there is more to wildshaping than just being big, furry and filled with sharp teeth and claws.

You get to learn their mannerisms in every day life. Reason why many druids back in Glenndale deliberately remain in a preferred animal form for the remainder of their lives. And when it comes to sleeping, no other animal you know does it better than a cat.

And so, your body suffers yet another drastic transformation and shrinks several sizes, sporting a bushy tail as you stretch on the bed and then leap on the Raptoran's lap, curling your tail around while you keep an eye open and look up at his glum masked face.

And then you let him know that wallowing in self pity won't make things better. Whatever you did, Zanthar is sure to fix- The Healing Church exists for just that reason. Those ministers are everywhere and they live up to their name...

The students will be fine. Yes, of course they will.

And once the first rays of sun break through the window, you stretch and yawn loudly before resuming your human form and listening to the people outside and the distant bells echoing around the City of Power.

Everything seems fine... so far.

@Camus: It's not an easy night for you.

A lot of branching possibilities. All of them ending badly. Kalir is the strongest warrior you have met. Ilven may be a God with the bow, but arrows aren't fast enough to bring an opponent down.

Kalir and Thresher, though... hopefully you don't come to regret this.

Taking both axe and flail, you walk up to the raptoran and show both weapons, extolling his virtues as a Royal Guard and protector of this City. You know all too well the pain of losing someone by your hands, so empathy is not lost upon you. Besides, you won't give The Crow a chance to perform her Hunter duties on him.

You'll find a cure for Kalir. And Kaylin. if there are answers, those are to be found in Old Halmathan. Everyone says there is no cure, but as a Man who has devoted his entire life to the pursuit of Knowledge, you need to differ. Abandoning oneself to despair is not the way of the Royal Guard, after all. Definitely not for its finest member. There has to be a way to revert the process...and you will find it.

All of you. Together.

And then you sit at your desk and review your grimoire, raising your hand without looking at them whenever one is about to speak. You need silence. One hour of uninterrupted silence and this is your house. They want to chatter the morning away? Campus is pretty big.

Once your preparations are done, you look at the pile of mail and notice the box. Ilven has been quite persistent about you finding this child... Henriette. You need Ilven too, so might as well indulge him. Not that anything good will come out of it, of course, as the quill drops exhausted on the table- a brand new scroll for the day. A most powerful Conjuration. One said to be the best spell ever written. Rogue's Bane, as some call it.

And then you hold on to the box and focus your immense arcane power on finding this child, as you shut your eyes and the shard glows purple and a vision appears on its surface, causing you to open your eyes and look at its faceted form.

It's a little girl. Long blonde hair. She's wearing a scarf, gloves and a thick winter dress, as well as tall leather boots. Although you cannot smell anything around her, you can hear seagulls not too far, and fishermen walking past her.

Rashema's Marina.

She's holding someone's hand as they walk through the pier. The ships barely visible, since your sensor only goes so far, but then she turns up to look at the person who walks with her, holding her hand.

Why haven't my mum come see me yet...and my dad?

They are... busy now, Henriette. But don't you worry: I will find them. Your dad's work will not go unfinished. They will be seeing you soon, child. You have my word. You packed everything?

His voice sounds older, but no idea who this man is. Especially considering his face is covered.

Henriette opens a small pack and looks around.

I... I don't have mum's brooch! That man took it. The one I told you about. Called himself a Helguard. He said he'd find my mum, but I never saw him again and...

The man looks down on Henriette as she sobs and places his hand on her head, squinting his eyes.

I'll find this Helguard. Sort this thing out.... now I need you on that ship, dear.

Henriette stops sobbing and looks up at the man while a captain walks up to both and Henriette's guardian hands him a small pouch and he takes the pack from the girl, who looks up at the masked man.

You aren't lying, are you? You'll bring mum and dad back?

The man kneels in front of her, locking eyes and you can see wrinkles in his face- or what little can be seen.

When have I lied to you? I love you very much, darling. Be safe.

Henriette hugs the man, who returns the embrace as a horn from the ship can be heard not too far away.

I love you grampa! Be safe as well, okay?

The sensor follows Henriette as she walks up the plank, taking the sailor's hand now as she waves to a form you cannot see before a flock of sea birds sqwack before the image and the scrying ends.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Night

“I do not require the bed." Ilven complains at Daun’s comment, but takes the spare mattress, grimacing at the mystery stains. Well, if Kalir was so dead-set on the floor. (Never mind that it would be much better for his back.)

He’s speechless at Daun’s little transformative display. Didn’t she realize how much easier it was to wring a cat’s scrawny neck than a human’s? Between that and the obvious lack of proper security… Damn good that he was there.

Day
    Nasty mattress and lingering smell of blood from Kalir's escapade aside, these chambers were much more luxurious than Ilven's own apartment. There were even paintings- pretty girl, maybe that was whose nightclothes Camus had offered Daun. And when the Archmage was kind enough to prepare tea, excellent.

Slightly less excellent was the decision to give Kalir back his weaponry. Without Zanthar, it would be much harder to put the Guard down if he went mad again... good thing Ilven's own weapon was not always deadly.

He looks flatly at Camus over the teacup. It was nice that the man acknowledged his skill, but wasn’t it already obvious that he was coming along? “Archmage… perhaps your brief death has confused you. I was willing to travel to Old Halmathan when there was nothing more to go on than a found key and a murderer’s recommendation. Of course I’ll join you.” But wait- had anyone other than Henriette ever asked Ilven for help? No, he’d just invited himself along, especially to the Castafernis. And a good thing he had too, they would absolutely have died without him there. Best to make this formal.

“I swore to protect this city and her people. A few years of retirement is not enough to wash away Honor and Blood. I am with you-all of you- until Halmathan is safe again.” That should be good enough.

“I’ve been involved since that little girl asked me to find her father… and it seems I’ll keep looking for family. Don’t you go disappearing once we’ve found your cousin.“ The joke falls flat, especially given that Henriette’s family were now extremely dead. “What’s this ‘cousin’ look like? Does she carry anything particularly identifying?” The latter question may be the more important, if she had truly become a Beast.

13. - Top - End - #763

Sleep came hard to the raptoran but the cat's presence eventually did its non-magical magic. Cat claws kneading on your thighs was a far better way to wake in the morning than waking to an ambush at in the middle of the night out in the wilderness.

During the archmage's spell preparation the warblade focuses on the Diamond Mind discipline, trying to analyze it all with a clear mind. The status of those at the temple stayed at the forefront though. How many dead? What should happen to him, directly responsible or not?

Kalir listened to Camus' pep talk. Offered his weapons back he stands and considers. He can sense, and agrees with, the concern in the room. He holds out a hand toward the axe first so that he wouldn't be armed with anything else too. He doesn't take it. Camus has to place it into his hand. He clasped his fingers around the axe handle. Nothing happened, just like every other time he had held it in either form except yesterday. He looked at the axe, then put it into his magical backpack. Out of sight and out of easy reach, but not out of mind. He takes Thresher and hooks it to his hip, leaving his hands empty of weaponry again.

"Back to Old Hamalthan? You remember the reception the first time? Answers to what exactly? Are you so sure of what you saw to risk starting a war down there? We'd be outnumbered and in their territory. We'd be beasts coming for them if they can't be reasoned with. If your cousin is indeed down there I will help, but if I snap again leave me there."

"All three of you, Thank you. Without you I'd already be put away or dead. My first concern is the status of those at the temple. I need to know the situation there and who if any are dead. Need to put at least that burning question behind me. Daun, would you fly with me there first? I'll stay back out of sight unless Master Zanthar summons me. We can then catch up to the others at the tomb."
    Show

14. - Top - End - #764
    Titan in the Playground

Listening to the old Helguard's oath make Camus more relieved.
    "Thanks", he says and look at his scrying shard and pocket it, "It might have been a strike of luck, but I was able to scry on the little girl Henriette at the moment she was embarking in a ship out of Hamalthan. Managed to eavesdrop her converation with her grandpa, he sounded worried that she might be in danger staying in Hamalthan and decided to ship her away. Alone, apparently, but there might be someone else to take care of her which wasnt in the area of the Scrying".

He pause for a moment, "He also said he was going to", he motion his both his index and middle fingers as if making a quote in the air, "Finish your father's job. I'll find this Helguard and sort this out".

"Sadly he had his face covered due the cold winds of the Rashema's Marina. If this man was Gascoigne's father or father-in-law I have no idea", he finish and drink his tea, "Maybe Henriette is safer out of Hamalthan if the Scourge is back, anyway".

He then fall silent as he try to picture some description of Kaylin, toher than her behavior.
    "She's is a little bit shorter than me, have dark hair and have blue eyes, but not like the blue eyes humans, more like a purplish blue. Usually dress in the finest robes and wear rings, amulet, earings and circlets. She's kinda...", he start saying and trail to the woman's portrait, "She's actually very pretty. Although annoying".

As if excusing himself to his dead wife, he adds, "Really annoying".

Deciding to change subject, he pomders on what Kalir have to say and nod.

"I'm unsure what is the questions we should ask, so I'm even more clueless to what the answers may be. The Crow wont speak clearly, so my guess Kaylin is either on Old Hamalthan or Hemwick Lane. It's a coin toss, mostly. Maybe Olidammara will smile upon my choice".

"As for their reception: I still remember it, but if they try to stop me from finding her or attack us while we look for her then...", he shrugs, "Then too bad for them. As for a war, some of them are already roaming our streets. Staying idle will only make the number of infected grow larger".

When he mention going to the Temple of Blooming Lotus, he frown and shrugs. Kalir did asked Daun not him, so he is more than happy than let her speak her mind.
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2019-03-06 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Ninja'd by Cavir's post, so editing to reflect that

15. - Top - End - #765
    Titan in the Playground

@Kalir: Would you give back such deadly weapons to a blood crazed killer?

Apparently, they would. Or at least Camus. Thresher is strapped to your hip, but that bloody Hunter's Axe is stored away, where you can never reach it. Out of sight... never out of mind.

Then the conversation shifts to going back to Old Halmathan.

Do you really want to go there? Someone watches over that place and they sent a very clear warning to stay out. Those ruins are home now to Beasts. Powerful as the four of you are, can you take on an entire den of these things? Do you want to?

And what are these "answers"Camus keep talking about? Ever since this whole mess began, you have gotten not a single answer and in place, a myriad of questions. Nevertheless, the wizard seems convinced that you'll find answers in that place... and maybe even a cure.

From what little you know of The Scourge, there is no cure. The Crow mentioned that to you and Ilven at Oedon's Tomb- once someone falls into Bloodlust and becomes a Beast, the only way to cure them is by taking their life. She called it a Mercy Kill. The Scourge took place years ago, before your arrival to the City and who knows how many men smarter than you must've tried fixing this problem...

Clearly, it hasn't been fixed. And if they cannot and you were to become one of them, you make it loud and clear that they are to abandon you down there.

But for now, your most pressing matter is checking on the Blooming Lotus. Having a word with Zanthar- IF she will even meet with you. And if you are so lucky, see to those your attacked the night prior. Starting with Recla.

Zanthar is a very stern teacher. Who knows if she will see you. But you have one amongst you that can possibly reach her. Not Ilven. Definitely not Camus:

Daun. Even though she is not associated with the Sublime Way and the Blooming Lotus, the druidess has a way with words. A friendly face to speak for the bloodthirsty demon you became.

However, whether she accepts to fly with you across the City to see her... that's up to her.

@Ilven: You have seen members of the Helguard crush monstrosities far bigger than a house cat with their bare hands... or so you faintly recall.

Helguard or not, cats are brittle. Charming and lithe, yes. But weak bones. It's not seen in good light for people to abuse animals that way in the City. In fact, those few sadists that enjoy that, are heavily fined. If not sent to jail directly. This applies to inoffensive animals such as the form Daun chose, of course.

No one would be stupid enough to try and kill T'nauri with their bare hands or even a weapon. But deranged people exist. And there are some who derive much pleasure inflicting pain on the small and weak.

Which brings you to Camus'question about your duty as a Helguard. Foolish mage.

You were battling things worse than Kalir before he was even born! The only reason the guy has a place to live in now is because your Order cleared a path for this City to grow. You may be retired, but the old Oaths are not forgotten, something you remind him and everyone present.

And yes: this includes journeying to Old Halmathan. Whatever hides in those ruins may shed some answers...and you have Camus' family to find. Which brings you to another revelation.

Little Henriette. According to the mage, she's boarded a ship out of Halmathan. It seems she had another family member- one she referred to as "grampa". Not much else to go with that, other than the fact this man knows of the Helguard and will "sort it out"... whatever that may mean.

At least the child is safe. An orphan, but away from this place. One less burden for you to carry upon your shoulders.

@Camus: Well, the savages are in.

You let Ilven know the results of your scrying and then proceed to describe your cousin.

As far as elves go, she was regarded as one of the most beautiful back in Celene. But beauty is only skin deep. Annoying, pompous and extremely spoiled, Kaylin Quivaris believes the whole world revolves around her. She wants to become a Grand Master within a year. A comical concept.

There are a few moments when she can be agreeable- you are bound by blood, after all. But those are few and far in between. years apart have changed both of your outlooks immensely. Hopefully, once you find her- and you will- she may have become a lot more humble.

And as for Kalir's concern about Old Halmathan...

None here have yet to see you demonstrate the full power of an archmage. Not even against Daegal. That was a fight that concerned Daun. This is a personal matter and may God have mercy on any down there that get in your way...

Because you won't.

And hopefully she's in Old Halmathan, which is closer. If she's in Hemwick...that may take some more time to travel there. At this point, you are going only on a hunch- and it better pay off.

As for Kalir... he can fly off with Daun if he wants. But he better not take long- you have a town full of Beasts to tour through.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Finished her morning ritual and with a bit of Camus's breakfast fruit in her belly, Daun is once again ready. She clasps on her new cloak after transferring her wilding clasp over to it, enjoying the way it billows and flickers errantly. Her normal green and silver protective one was good for general use, but if they were going to fight beasts today it was more important that she be able to dodge their mighty swings than resist any poisons or mental intrusions.

"Sure Kalir, let's go. After that, I'll pick up T'nauri and we can head out. It doesn't too much matter to me if we go to Hemwick Lane or Old Hamalthan, except that T'nauri might have an easier time getting around in Hemwick. We might be able to squeeze him through into Old Hamalthan, but unless someone's willing to do some short range teleportation, it's going to be a whole thing."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: If T'nauri is large sized via reduce animal, I should be able to squeeze him through the place we walked in. Unless we ourselves had to squeeze, which would mean the triceratops has to be dimension doored or something.

In a dramatic cascade of Touch-me-Not petals that disappear when they hit the ground, Daun suddenly transforms back into her classic raven form and, when Kalir is ready, flies over to the Blooming Lotus.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

@Daun: Meditation time is over.

Camus may not have the large assortment of fruits and other nutrients found in abundance at Glenndale, but he hasn't asked for rent money, which he just might at this point. So best eat in silence as the mage reviews his book and you listen to Kalir's demand.

If he wants to fly, he won't do it alone. But once he's spoken to Zanthar, you are getting T'nauri. He may be a gigantic prehistoric menace, but he's yours. A book said so and you are taking him with you. No matter what.

Besides... who could ever take on T'nauri? He's invincible. Without your aid, he's dangerous. With your mystic assistance and Camus'?

He might as well be a god.

You'll take your dinosaur to Old Halmathan, but first... time to go check The Blooming Lotus.

And so, your body becomes enveloped in a shower of petals and it shrinks, growing black feathers and an avian form before you caw to Kalir and fly out the wizard's window, headed straight across the City.

@Kalir & Daun: Although it's morning, the sun barely shows through the clouds. Natural, given the time of year. Cold winds buffet against your wings as you soar and catch the gales over the tall spires of the City of Power before taking a plunge towards the Temple of the Blooming Lotus.

No activity. Usually, there would be people coming in and out of this House, eager to, if not enroll, watch the battles at the training arena. After all, the students of the Sublime Way have a distinct fighting technique which makes combat quite spectacular to watch, but never experience firsthand.

The door is shut, but flying over the temple, on the courtyard behind it, both can spot Master Zanthar seated in front of a pond flanked by large leonine statues. She is alone and wearing a black robe. Her form partially hidden by the tall trees.

Given that you are flying, she likely hasn't noticed you.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Black. That's not a good sign. Hopefully not funeral colors. "Stay here for a second." She says to Kalir before closing in.

Daun curiously sweeps down and alights in one of the trees getting a better view of the scene, and does her best impression of a regular raven. The good thing about being a bird is that a lot of time, people didn't spare you a second glance. If something sensitive was going on, Daun didn't want to interrupt.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #769
    Titan in the Playground

"I think we can go to either places, but I would rather check Old Hamalthan first as it's closer and looked very much like what I saw. As for bringing T'Nauri, I'm unsure he may fit the passage and I would rather not look that hostile despise my earlier statement. Would be wise to save those teleportation spells in case we need to make a rushed escape", he says and shrugs, "But if you guys want to check Hemwick Lane, we can make a poll".

Spoiler: Camus' Poll
    Show
    Okay. Let's vote for our nexrt destination: a) Old Hamalthan or b) Hemwick Lane.
    Camus vote for Old Hamalthan.

With only both elves left in his apartment, he look to the Old Helguard.
    "That breakfast was kinda lacking: wasnt expecting too much visitors after all", he says and look at his apartment now cleaned, "Might as well as have a decent breakfast before venturing to our deaths, right? Come on, I'm paying".

If the Old Helguard agree, he lock his apartment and hail a cab to a cafe house close to Oeden's Tomb or the Norhtern Gate (depending on what the others vote), were he order some breakfast.

"After that last night on temple, I've seen your legendary skill and think I might have something to help you even further", he says between a gulp of hot coffee and a bite from a fresh and hot bread, "It's a special ward that will protect both mind and body, as well as sharpen your senses. It will also last for 24 hours straight. Here, allow me", he says and offer his gloved hand to him.

Spoiler: Camus' Ward
    Show
    Superior Resistance
    Last 24h, +6 resistance bonus to all saves.
    Camus' CL for it is 16th (but he add +4 to resist dispel due his ring).

20. - Top - End - #770
    Titan in the Playground

@Daun: Despite Halmathan being so big and industrialized, the SMC hasn't scared away the birds with all its mechanic marvels.

Birds are prevalent in the City. Pigeons, for one. But ravens are a common sight too. Many corvids live in Glenndale, where food is found aplenty and since there are many gardens in town- private or public- such feathered friends are a welcome sight... most of the time.

Kalir better wait it out, as you land on a nearby branch and look down at Master Zanthar, who sits on the courtyard bench and tears bread crumbs, which she tosses at the pond as hungry carp gobble them up before turning her gaze in your direction:

"It's rude to eavesdrop like that ...""

The moment you raise a feathery eyebrow, a shape can be seen beneath you as a woman walks from the shadows towards the Hand of Mercy.

"Brought you coffee. May I?""

Zanthar looks up and scoots on the bench as the other woman sits beside her and hands her a tall paper cup with boiling brew, which Zanthar sips from before wincing.

"Bitter... but thanks.""

The woman is about to take a sip herself from her own cup before she looks at the pond while a lonely bread crumb soaks up water on the surface.

"How bad is it?""

"Bad... worse than I had anticipated. Should've done it, in hindsight."

"But you didn't. You could've called us. Me. Take the burden off.""

Zanthar takes another sip as the robed woman takes in the morning air and stretches on the bench, causing the Leader of the Blooming Lotus to shake her head.

"I want to see if it can be undone. I need to. My days are over. Those who know and can help, are beyond reach. That leaves them...and us. And as the nights go by, I find the lines getting a lot more blurred. What is it about Good intentions and the Road to it?""

The woman takes a gulp from her coffee and nearly chugs it all, getting up and placing her hand on Zanthar's shoulder and looking at the City while the clouds illuminate by the hidden sun.

"I trust in your good judgement. As I always have. The Old Man would be proud of you...if you were to visit him, he might even recall your name.""

"That's not possible. But thank you for coming up... it's been awhile. Be safe out there, okay?"

Both women squeeze each others hands for a few seconds before a cold gale brushes through the courtyard and the last bloated bread crumb is swallowed by a hungry fish below.

And then the woman leaves quietly away, just the way she came in.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

As much as Daun doesn't like eavesdropping... Ok, she kind of likes eavesdropping. She listens to the conversation, quietly storing what she heard away. Curious, but it meant nothing to Daun without context. Not that she needed context: she wasn't even supposed to hear that.

Daun waits a few minutes for Zanthar and the woman's conversation. She alights on one of the lion statues. "Master Zanthar? I'm Daun, the druidess that was here last night when Kalir... Well, we all wanted to see how things are here. Kalir is nearby and wants to apologize as well, if you'll have him."
    Show

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

So the girl hadn’t been eaten alive by some rogue beast, and wasn’t wandering lost around some dark corner of the city. All that time spent worrying over what turned out to be nothing. Typical. “I’m not hard to find, he can come sort it out whenever he likes. Get his family's effects. ” Well, not usually hard to find. Spending the night at Runestone was hopefully an exception.

A poll- what did the Archmage think this was, a committee? “One downside to Old Halmathan- our masked friend knows we’re going there. Encouraged it, even. If we were hoping to avoid her….” He shakes his head. “That being said, we have to find this Cousin sooner rather than later. My vote is also for Old Halmathan.” And the fact that he hadn’t left the city proper since the Glory Days… may have been a small factor.

He raises one eyebrow at Camus’ mention of venturing to their deaths. “You have so much faith in us, Archmage,” he observes dryly. “But if you’re buying.”

Once at the café, he orders a small breakfast and tea- jittery fingers brought on by coffee were the last thing he needed if there was going to be fighting. The Archmage's description of the magic effects didn't seem bad. As long as he didn't rely on them completely and get lazy. Feeling a bit silly, Ilven takes Camus’ gloved hand in his gnarled one. “Let’s hope it holds up better than your lights.”

“I’ve been meaning to ask- Kalir said to leave him, should he have a…relapse. I think a better idea is to subdue him and bring him to your Grand Master before some Hunter takes his hide.”

23. - Top - End - #773
    Titan in the Playground

@Daun: If you have mastered the art of turning into an innocuous and inconspicuous animal, you have earned the right to spy on everyone you so desire.

Reason why rogues, skilled as they may be, will never be a match for the power of a mighty druid. You can do it all. End it all, if you so wished it. Taking down Zanthar and her friend would be extremely easy- just a single pillar of flame on both and none would be the wiser...

Who suspects a raven, anyways? But still you watch, perched on your branch. Not that anything they say makes much sense to you, but if you spy on them later, you may be able to find out everything... EVERYTHING about them. It's your druid given right, after all.

And when the woman leaves, you land on one of the statues and look down at Zanthar, who listens to your words and gets up, still holding the cup of coffee as the steam is washed away by the cold winds, taking a few steps towards you and looking up, a stern look on her face.

"Daun the Druid, friend of Kalir... he didn't show up here and sent you in his stead? I have truly been out of touch with my students as of late. What transpired last night is a matter that concerns The Blooming Lotus... and nobody else. Since you possess the power of flight, which I do not, and seem interested in gathering knowledge for him, fly away and shed this piece of wisdom with him:

Tell him to get his act together and find his center. And being a druid yourself, advise him not to come here until such feat has been accomplished and not a moment before."

Zanthar turns her back towards you and walks into the school proper, stopping at the door while placing her hand on the door knob.

"Your Order are known for being wise...impart a sliver of it to him:

He is a very respected Royal Guard and may help the City if he remains alive.""

And having said that, The Hand of Mercy shuts the door loudly behind her and is seen and heard no more.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2019-03-07 at 05:49 AM.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Daun bobs her head in a rough approximation of a nod. "I'll pass your words along. Ehlonna be with you, Master."

Not wanting to overstay her welcome, Daun takes off back to Kalir.

"Well, your teacher certainly possesses a directness that I find refreshing. She wants me to tell you to 'get your act together and find your center.' Until that happens, she thinks you should stay away. ... And I kind of agree. What's done is done, and coming back will only dredge guilt back up. Right now that's not helpful for anyone. What is helpful is pushing forward and possibly finding a cure."

She flies back with him less talkative than usual, but eventually speaks up what she's been thinking about. "She said you may yet help the city. Whatever she may believe about the events last night, she clearly still believes in you.

But the way she said it... maybe I just have the Scourge on the mind, but it sounds like that's what she was talking about. I don't know, I kind of... overheard a conversation between her and someone when I went down. I could just be trying to connect some random dots, but it seems like she knows something about the Scourge. Something she hasn't told us. Anyway, I guess that's a mystery for another day."

She angles her wings and heads back towards the other parts of Hamalthan.

Spoiler
    Show
    I suppose I'll vote for Hemwick Lane because T'nauri can come. But since we probably have to go to both places at some point, I'm ok with either choice.

I assume we would have settled the results of the vote before we left, so Daun will know if she should grab T'nauri or not.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #775

Kalir curves around to meet Daun in flight. She's already heading away from the temple so that already told him they were done with it for now. He listens carefully to the speaking raven mid-flight.

"Thank you again. I thought there would be students around and seeing me may have caused issues. Find my center. I did lose that yesterday. Hope for me she says? Let's go see what our path brings then." They fly casually but his mind is racing. He needs to focus. Focus on the nearer picture. Finding Camus' cousin the mage.

About halfway to Oeden's Tomb Kalir redirects his thoughts from himself. "Besides the letter from Roland, have you heard anything from your family since that night?"
    Show

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Daun drifts on an updraft, thinking of how to answer for a minute. "No, other than that they sent the cloak I put on today as a gift. Although the Castaferni's aren't really my family. The Tersettis are related to them and I spent some time with them as a child. But honestly I don't see them much. Come to think of it I don't really see my regular family much recently... Whatever. Why do you ask?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I figure we can carry out this conversation alongside moving the plot along.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

@The Party: Whether eavesdropping on the Blooming Lotus...

Or having a hearty breakfast at a local Halmathan Cafe, you have cast the ballot. Hemwick Lane will have to wait for some other time. Today, you will brave Old Halmathan, populated by Beasts and said to be the source of The Scourge. Last time, you were quick to turn tail when an unseen inhabitant warned you about taking a step further into the derelict district.

But there is someone that needs rescuing. Camus is sure of what he saw. How could he be wrong? He's an archmage. Although you may not know who this Kaylin is, he claims she's family. That ought to be reason enough to find her and get her out of that damn place before the unthinkable were to happen.

Beasts think only about carnage. Feral and unreasonable by nature, they will shred the elf's wayward cousin in seconds... if they haven't already. But even if you were to find her remains, The Crow says answers lie in Old Halmathan. What answers? She won't say. Can she be trusted? Some in the group would rather not, but after having the Helguard warded by Camus' most impressive abjurations and Daun giving Kalir Zanthar's message, you either fly or take a carriage towards Oedon's Tomb, cast in shadows by the tall dead trees and amidst the old gravestones, everyone meets at the gate, which nearly cost Kalir and Ilven's life just to get the key.

Like before- a week ago, to be precise- there are no signs of destruction from the battle with Gascoigne. It never happened. But one thing is different:

The gate that leads to the chapel and further into the depths and out to the old district has been opened. It's not opened wide, but someone unlocked it.

Whether it was to come out or go in... that's anybody's guess.

28. - Top - End - #778

Flying....

"The letter and gift was from Roland wasn't it? Is he part of the Castaferni family? I figured the Castafernis were just very close to the Church of Olidammara. You did the Castafernis a big favor too, even if we would have done it on our own if we knew of it. Thought the Castafernis would have made contact with you for doing so. Did you know Luiggi used to be Royal Guard? We were never told why he was dismissed and I hadn't seen him since until we were all at the manor."

Oedon's Tomb...

Kalir turns to Ilven. "Did you lock it when we last left?" He steps towards the door and looks for footprints or signs of forced entry. He also lets his nose take notice.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Spot (1d20+11)[29]
    Plus Scent, then back to Hear the Air for anything ready to ambush us.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Flying...

"I think I heard of that. That's strange though. Although maybe not so much, he doesn't really strike me as the type that takes orders well. I can't say I blame him. What made you want to join in the first place?"

Oedeon's Tomb...

Daun alights on the gate, looking at the opening. "Oh that's... not good at all. But if Kaylin is here, she probably would have gone through this gate. So maybe that's a clue that we're on the right track? Camus, do you have anything of hers? I have a spell that can pick up her scent, but I don't exactly have the skill to track her by it. Still, if we smell her here, then its pretty safe to assume we picked right."

Daun flies closer, looking for any clues as to who used the gate. Perhaps a torn scrap of fabric, footsteps, or even some hair.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Daun doesn't know that Kalir also has scent. I'm not sure what it looks like when Kalir uses the stance. Unless it's obvious like him sniffing the ground and stuff.

Also spotting for any physical clues. (1d20+24)[43]
    Show

30. - Top - End - #780
    Titan in the Playground

Could the old elf have forgot to close the door to Beast Town?, Camus think but turn to Daun whne she ask about having something of her, "At most some blood in veins. She retreated from the Royal mare tooking all her stuff, but I bought some scrol to help track her", he says and take out a scroll, which he reads.

Spoiler: Locate Creature
    Show

Area: circle of 680ft centered on Camus
    Duration: 70 minutes
    Caster Level: 7th

If Kaylin is within the area spell, Camus will be able to know her direction

"It lasts a little bit over one hour and although the area is large enough, so is Old Hamalthan. If I pick her direction I'll let you know", he says and look at the opened gate, "If we dont find her until the spell end, then we might have to use some more powerful divination or maybe plan another incursion, as she may as well be in Hemwick Lane. In theory, she can be in any ruined town within a week distance".

Before they enter the ruined district, Camus cast a few spells and offer some as well, making his skin on his throat to become scaled like a red dragon and his irisies to become a glowing white. "Ready?"

Spoiler: 10mins/level Buffs
    Show
    On Self
    Voice of the Dragon (140 minutes)
    Magic Circle Against Evil (160 minutes)
    See Invisibility (140 minutes)

On any other (decide OOC who get what):
    Heroics (140 minutes)
    Heroics (140 minutes)

If no one want Heroics right away, he'll save for later