New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Tides that Bind IC

Kalir swings downward to knock the one getting up back down, for good. He points to where Daun and Camus escaped to. "Ilven! That way now! Over the ledge!". The raptoran turns invisible turns and hopefully unseen to the beasts he flies to catch up to the others, gliding down over the ledge. As he lands just past the others he let's them know. "It's Kalir."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    AoO (1d20+21)[26] crit: (on 17+): (1d20+24)[27] (+INT to crit)
    damage: (1d10+9)[10] + (1d6)[4] Electric
    crit: (1d10+9)[14] + (1d6)[1] Electric + Prismatic Spray effect (1d8)[7]

Std action to activate Ring of Invisibility.
    Move action to fly over the ledge with some extra distance for downward movement at the end to land just past the others.

HP: 37/210 1 CON damage
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

2. - Top - End - #872
    Titan in the Playground

@Kalir: There are days when Thresher is a mighty weapon.

Not today. Normally, these things would've been dead within seconds- reason why you purposefully set yourself up to be surrounded, but even as the gangly beast gets up and swipes at you, Thresher isn't strong enough to kill it. Badly injured? Definitely. Dead? No... he's not dead.

And between the beasts and hail of gunfire, chances are the one dead will be you. No time to dawdle around here any longer, as you activate your ring and blanket yourself in an illusion as the beasts swipe at empty air, with some actually sniffing your presence before you dart out of that beastly mess, warn Ilven of your destination and hop down the ledge, landing semi gracefully on the balcony below, ruined and cracked, like the rest of this district.

Camus looks at you from the corner of his eye, a streak of blood running down his brow while he leans against the wall.

"I can see you... but where is Ilven?""

Map

Round 5

@Ilven: So they all decided to turn tail... why?

Those four are weak. At this distance, you could easily bring each of them down with a single shot from your bow. Who is to say they won't pursue if you start running? That's what wild animals do to wounded fleeing prey, after all. And besides...

They have turned their attention on you now.

Map

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Ilven
    Male Beast x 3
    Female Beast
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2019-04-02 at 10:47 PM.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

So it appears that the mighty air wall had failed. Obviously that was the problem, the alternative would suggest that the gunpowder weaponry was superior to his own bow.

With a dirty look in the general direction of the concealed sniper, he limps in the direction Kalir had indicated.

Once he makes his landing, he draws again at the ledge he'd come from, ready for any pursuit. "We'll have guests in a few moments," he informs the others. "Wounded guests, but they may still be a problem." Well, a problem for those knocking on death's door, at any rate.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

Currently having computer issues, so unable to see the map, but a double move action to follow should suffice if memory serves.
    Should it not, boots of haste will be used, just let me know if this is the case.
    I believe there is a path around the beasts, but will include a tumble roll should there not be.
    Tumble to move at full speed, if necessary: (1d20+18)[19]
    Jump check to reduce fall damage because why not try: (1d20+0)[3]

Spoiler: hp
    Show

-7+130-42=81

4. - Top - End - #874
    Titan in the Playground

@Ilven: It's running away, then.

The Beasts watch you and roar and growl as you limp a few steps due to the latest barrage of bullets and nose dive over the cracked ledge, landing with a semi professional somersault and reflexively aiming your bow up above, in case these things decided to give chase...

The roars can be heard, but they quickly diminish, at least in your general vicinity- they may be Beasts, but they know better not to pursue someone of your skills, able to drop them the moment they touch ground.

@The Party: Camus' many copies catch their breath as the real one amidst the illusions looks up at the ledge and then at the smoky environment of Old Halmathan, with its distant roars and growls of things best left unseen.

"I am a very intelligent man. Academically, that is undeniable, but...

... but I may not have been wise. I do not know what lays ahead should we continue. Kaylin's whereabouts led me to believe that she's here. A coin toss, given other locales considered. But so far, I have not picked up her signal. And in so doing, we all have nearly died in this place. I cannot toss another coin and hope for the best. So...

I want to know what you think. I am not used to running around for my life and I would never stop blaming myself if yours were spared because it was I who brought you here. I have a way to get us all out. Right now. I was thinking Glenndale. A safe place amidst Daun's community, but this is a decision I want all of you to make. Because I have no idea what may jump at us further in and this window of opportunity I have offered...

It just may not open again."

Map

Screenshot

5. - Top - End - #875
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

As the others land, Daun wastes no time in healing her companions and herself. Whether they chose to leave or stay, it would be helpful. Green tendrils of thorny stems wrap around her companions, but where they should nick and cut, they instead stitch together and sooth the various wounds.

"If we stay, we need some way of dealing with that man with the gun. I didn't get a good look at him, but he clearly had a line of sight to us. Without knowing where he is, we don't know when we're safe. I don't love the idea of exploring while under his sights: one well placed shot could kill any of us, and I don't have much left today to heal you all with.

So, that's my answer. If we have some way of dealing with him, I'll continue. If not, I can't see this being anything other than a death trap. I don't personally have anything that will help, considering Camus' wind wall didn't stop the shots. But if we prepare and come back tomorrow, we can divine where he is and how to take him out. I'm done dealing with this man. We tried reasoning with him. If he really wanted to save these people he would help us find Kaylin. I vote we come back tomorrow with T'Nauri, find what tower he's shooting us from, and smash it to the ground."

Spoiler
    Show
    Touch of Healing restores 21 health per turn to people, until they are at half.
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2019-04-03 at 08:51 AM.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #876

Kalir becomes visible again and listens to the archmage's submission.

"Continuing our frontal assault against that gun and their numbers with our few numbers and without mass healing like we have been is going to get at least some of us killed. Maybe he has Kaylin and thus his silence and resistance. If your seeking spell still lasts and you want to search more we need a different strategy. If you can cast invisibility you and I could fly low and fast as long as we get back before your spell expires. Daun and Ilven would have to stay here unless they can both become invisible too. We'll need to know where to find you two to teleport out later. If Camus pings on Kaylin we come back and make a plan to rescue as a group. "

"When we teleport out we need to go back to the tomb and close things up. Can't have any of the beasts getting out."

After a pause he adds some more. "We've been staying out in the open. Getting inside then moving along through the walls would keep us together and out of long range sight. I can make holes through walls so we can go building to building. Louder and slower but if they come to us inside their numbers advantage will be reduced. If we get too swarmed then we're together as a group and can teleport out."

"If we're staying here I need a minute to get my body to stop bleeding so much while Daun helps the rest of you."

Show
    Iron Heart Surge to deal with the poison. If there is more time while talking then Adaptive Style to change maneuvers readied and start using Iron Heart Endurance to start healing.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"There is one more option that is slower than that... Much slower, but safer. I can burrow beneath the surface, leaving a tunnel for us to crawl through. If the ground does not block Camus's spell, we should be able to search that way, without the risk of the creatures on the surface. There is the possibility of something finding the entrance to our tunnel and coming in after us. I have a spell to hide us if it comes to that, but it would just hide us for a time."
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #878
    Titan in the Playground

@Daun: You may not be a priestess, but that doesn’t mean you can’t heal like one.

Granted, your druidic prowess could be put to much better use, but you have no cleric here. Camus can replicate your own curative spells, but he’s a lot more limited than you in that department.

And so, when he brings up the idea of leaving, you counter it with returning. Coming back the next day with T’nau, who will destroy this entire district with ease.

“You do realize we couldn’t get him in through the door last time, right? If I use my power to bring him- even if you shrink him to the size of a horse- that’s less people I can bring in and then out.

And sure, your companion could stomp this entire place, but he’d make himself a giant target for that mad man to shoot at leisure until T’nauri stops moving. You mention divining on the shooter- I leave that task to you if you want to go that route. I know nothing about that voice.

Burrowing.... that may work, but we have no idea where we’d be going and how fast you can dig.”

@Kalir: Your training ought to patch most of your wounds, which means Daun will have less people to worry about.

But that’s not the issue here. Surviving through this place is. Walking or flying around here is not working.

Claws and bullets galore. Even a highly trained Royal Guard like you can only take so much and so, you propose the best possible course of action, which causes Camus to raise an eyebrow at you.

Bashing through buildings will draw a lot of them to us. At that point, I will have to teleport us out, which will yield the same exact result of what I am proposing we do right now.

That being said... I can fly and so can you. If I can veil myself we could fly low and hopefully undetected until we find Kaylin... assuming she’s here.

Again, though: I do not know what else lies in wait further in.”

9. - Top - End - #879

"They already know we are here so noise isn't an issue. They don't know about your limited sensing spell so speed is important. If you can veil yourself then let's find an indoor spot Daun and Ilven can hole up on that you can teleport us back to before teleporting all of us out. If it ends up that the shooter up above can see through invisibility plan B can be going through the walls. Daun, Ilven, could you set up a defensive position inside? Furniture and burrowed holes can make a difference."

Kalir glances around for a door (even if boarded up) or window to get through. He glances upward to a 2nd story window as a better entry point to limit the beasts following them directly.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #880
    Titan in the Playground

@Kalir: There is an entrance really close to where you dropped.

Since these buildings are all slowly sinking due to erosion, you and the others have landed in a balcony that leads to an open arc and into a hopefully sealed room.

The archway doesn't have a door, but a lot of rubble has accumulated around it as Camus's many images cease to be and he goes through the pockets of his robe.

"They do not know about my Locate Creature spell, no. However, although I did prepare to see the unseen, a Divination currently still in effect on me...""

The archmage takes out an expensive looking scroll and shakes his head.

"I did not prepare to be unseen myself today. The scroll I hold in my hands will last approximately forty two seconds...and not a second longer. Definitely not enough time to scout this entire place."

For all his power, the mighty mage lacks the ability contained in your ring. If only for this day, at least. And then, you lead the group up a very short flight of stairs and into the cracked building and raise your hand, urging the rest to stop.

@The Party: The area you are about to enter is dark and very dusty. From what you can discern given the light seeping in from above, the ceiling is low- ten feet at most. A small shrine bearing the image of a hooded saint has been badly damaged in a corner. There are no windows, but another archway can be seen at the far end of the room, with a bunch of old broken furniture and broken pottery strewn about.

However, all that is moot, as you lay eyes on a figure nestled on a corner of the room:

It looks like the other cloaked beasts you fought earlier, but a lot bigger. This one, unlike every other Beast you have encountered...is not attacking. In fact, one could argue it's dead, since it's lumped on a corner and doesn't even react to your presence.

Map
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2019-04-08 at 05:29 PM.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

All talk of magical spells and strategems goes over Ilven’s head. He was never the one who gave the orders, after all, only followed them.

“I neither have means of flying nor being unseen, but I doubt a defensive position would be a problem.”
    After all, he’d been completely fine holding off the beasts on his own in a completely open street. Definitely hadn't been in trouble before Kalir awoke. “I think we have no options beyond moving through the walls or underground, keep cover from our Hunter-hating friend.”

“As for moving below... didn’t you tell me there was some sort of underground network being built? If it passes beneath this area of the city and the Archmage’s spell can go through stone, wouldn’t that be simpler than having Lady Daun make them?”

He eyes the cloaked form in the corner. Before he became a beast, this man had to be at least the size of Rust. Or Gascoigne, for that matter. Memories of the Hunter’s inability to die properly kept Ilven’s bow at the ready- looking dead and being dead were two very different things.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

Regain maneuvers during discussion, ready an action to shoot the thing if it makes a hostile move.

12. - Top - End - #882

Kalir puts a finger to his lips for all to keep things to whispers in case that thing wasn't dead. "Heal up first." He points to Daun then to the other to, effectively asking her to work on them while he works on himself. Keeping an eye on the figure and an ear to the arch leading outside he wills his body to seal up the worst of his wounds. "How much longer on that spell for Kaylin?"

Show
    Maneuvers swapped. Every other round heal 28hp until I am over half hp. If something happens before then let us know how long we had please. If not interrupted I'll change maneuvers again at the end.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #883
    Titan in the Playground

@Kalir: The air inside this place is thick and stuffy.

And even then, you can discern that large shrouded shape slumped across from all of you. The distant growls echo through the streets above you and beyond. And yet, this thing- whatever it is... it's not moving an inch.

Either it's asleep or it must've died somehow. Still, best not to take any chances, as you ask everyone to lower their voices and you focus on regaining as much strength and vitality as you can if you are to continue exploring Old Halmathan.

Camus takes out his pocket watch and does some quick mental calculations while looking at the room.

"One hour and... ten minutes. Give or take. I cast this Divination prior to entering Oedon's Tomb. Add in the trek to that old chapel and us running around here and, well... that's how much time we got left. Once Kaylin is found, the spell will tell me her direction immediately. It never fails. It's an advanced technique taught only at Runestone."

14. - Top - End - #884

Kalir keeps an eye on the creature in the corner. "Take a minute or two to heal up the best we can then we can make sure that thing is dead"

Once the healing is done and the others are ready he addresses the cloaked figure in the corner. "Hello?" He's hopeful it is dead or friendly, but ready for trouble.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #885
    Titan in the Playground

@Kalir: Regardless of the distant roars and growls...

Nobody’s coming to give you or the others grief. You may have found a safe place after all. One where you could hunker down for eternity, even.

And this is further reassured when you look at the cloaked lump across from you and hail it, getting no answer or movement whatsoever.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2019-04-05 at 05:40 PM.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Daun watches from behind the others, a bit anxiously. "It doesn't look alive... maybe these things die off eventually? They must have to fight for the scant resources..." But she hangs back letting someone else poke or prod it.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #887

Kalir ends his mini-meditation, much of his bleeding stopped, and swaps out amulets. "Don't want this thing giving you trouble while we're gone." He pulls out the dagger gained from the The Barber and uses it to pull aside the cloak to expose the figure's face. If no reaction then move more of the cloak aside.

Show
    Put Amulet of Health back on. At 137/224hp.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #888
    Titan in the Playground

@Kalir: This area is pretty big.

And despite the growls heard off in the distance, nobody has come to attack you. Even considering the conversations had and the time you prepped both mind and soul. Still...

If you are going to scout Old Halmathan, best make sure the others have nothing to worry about, as you walk inside the dilapidated room and take out Barber's dagger, getting closer to the slumped hooded figure. If it won't answer to your greeting, you might as well check what lies beneath and...

Maybe had you chosen to ignore it? Perhaps. The area is rather big and although somewhat recovered from previous skirmishes, the more you can avoid, the better. But that doesn't seem to be word nowadays.

It's the moment you get close to that thing that it begins to stir and with a wheezing sound, gets up from its slumped posture. It's claws wisps black greenish smoke and covered in old bloodied bandages. Its frame towering above yours. The face is still covered by that shroud, but it is clear it has sensed your presence, being so close.

Ilven, true to his word, fires an arrow, anticipating the worst and it hits, but doesn't really bring this thing down. This opponent is different from the other beasts you have fought here so far...

And you just woke it up.

Round 1

Map

Show
    Kalir
    Ilven

Beast Matron
    Camus
    Daun
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2019-04-09 at 01:17 AM.

19. - Top - End - #889

"We just happened to find the biggest one in here?" Kalir shook his head before following Ilven's lead in working on putting a hurting on the creature. He stikes twice then tries to put the creature back down to the ground. He didn't want to find out what that smoke would do.

Show
    Full attack. Third is a trip attempt.

Thresher1: (1d20+21)[29] crit: (on 17+): (1d20+24)[40] (+INT to crit) (flatfooted)
    damage: (1d10+9)[12] + (1d6)[1] Electric +3 for flat-footed
    crit: (1d10+9)[18] + (1d6)[5] Electric +3 for flat-footed + Prismatic Spray effect (1d8)[6]

Thresher2: (1d20+16)[34] crit: (on 17+): (1d20+19)[39] (+INT to crit) (flatfooted)
    damage: (1d10+9)[19] + (1d6)[2] Electric +3 for flat-footed
    crit: (1d10+9)[18] + (1d6)[5] Electric +3 for flat-footed + Prismatic Spray effect (1d8)[8] (from OOC: 3, 4)

Trip touch attack: (1d20+11)[20] (flatfooted)
    On hit, opposed STR check: (1d20+15)[18] (+6 STR, +5 belt, +4 Imp Trip)

On Trip:: roll]1d20+11[/roll] crit: (on 17+): (1d20+24)[38] (+INT to crit) (flatfooted, prone)
    damage: (1d10+9)[19] + (1d6)[1] Electric +3 for flat-footed
    crit: (1d10+9)[11] + (1d6)[2] Electric +3 for flat-footed + Prismatic Spray effect (1d8)[4]

Spoiler: Prismatic Spray on crit
    Show
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/prismaticSpray.htm
    DC 20 for all.
    1 Red 20 points fire damage (Reflex half)
    2 Orange 40 points acid damage (Reflex half)
    3 Yellow 80 points electricity damage (Reflex half)
    4 Green Poison (Kills; Fortitude partial, take 1d6 points of Con damage instead)
    5 Blue Turned to stone (Fortitude negates)
    6 Indigo Insane, as insanity spell (Will negates)
    7 Violet Sent to another plane (Will negates)
    8 Struck by two rays; roll twice more, ignoring any “8” results.

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    +5 STR checks
    +4 saves vs fear
    Immune to blinded or dazzled
    Low Light vision: 2x human
    Stance: Hearing the Air
    Blind Fight
    Blur: 20% concealment (cloak)

Battle Clarity: INT to Reflex saves (not flat-footed)
    Uncanny Dodge: Retain Dex when flat-footed or vs invisible enemy
    Improved Uncanny Dodge: Can't be flanked (like Barbarian)
    Battle Ardor +INT to confirm crits
    Battle Cunning: +INT damage vs flat-footed or flanked
    Battle Skill: +INT to oppose bull rush, feint, overrun, sunder or trip attempt

HP: 137/224 1 CON damage
    DR 3/- (30 of 30 used)
    AC: 21 Touch: 14 FF: 17 (Combat Expertise 5)

Damage:
    Claws: 11, 9, 8, 11 (after DR)
    Claws: 8 (after DR)
    Claws: 8 (after DR) (start of fight vs 9)
    Claws: 6, 5, 10, 10, 7 (after DR) (interceding for Camus)
    Claws: 7, 10 (IC #859)
    Claws: 14, 14, 10, 9 (IC #864) 1 CON damage 157 running damage
    Claws: 7, 15, 8 (IC #870)

Last edited by Cavir; 2019-04-08 at 09:03 PM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #890
    Titan in the Playground

@Kalir: So this is a new kind of Beast...

New or not, it has to go down. Ilven already shot his preventive arrow, but he's at a safe distance. You are not. With this hooded threat towering above you, Thresher gets to work, smacking it twice. Oddly enough, the Prismatic Burst in your weapon is not working against it. What would have brought down any of those beasts earlier is a simple glancing blow against this enemy.

And given its size, it anticipates Thresher's course, swatting the mace away before it can drop it back on the ground.

Show
    Kalir
    Ilven
    Beast Matron
    Camus
    Daun

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

It was only a matter of time before the beast moved, the way this afternoon had been going.

“We don’t know it’s the biggest one here,” Ilven observes dryly. “Weren’t you complaining about a huge one on the bridge?” But correcting the Dragonslayer wouldn’t do anything to quell the beast and whatever nastiness clung to those claws. Continuing to shoot it in what served as a head would.

Spoiler: Breaking and Entering
    Show

1.) free action, boots of haste
    2.) Swift action, guided strike, damage reduction does not apply if he has it
    3.) Full round action: Shoot the beast whose home we’ve invaded
    Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Attack Haste: (1d20+26)[42]
    Crit confirm: (1d20+30)[48]
    Damage: (1d8+9)[17] + (1d6)[4] NL + (1d6)[3] acid

Attack 1: (1d20+26)[35]
    Crit confirm: (1d20+30)[35]
    Damage: (1d8+9)[13] + (1d6)[4] NL + (1d6)[3] acid

Attack 2: (1d20+21)[32]
    Crit confirm: (1d20+25)[39]
    Damage: (1d8+9)[17] + (1d6)[3] NL + (1d6)[3] acid

Attack 3: (1d20+16)[33]
    Crit confirm: (1d20+20)[26]
    Damage: (1d8+9)[10] + (1d6)[6] NL + (1d6)[1] acid

Spoiler: math
    Show

Attack: +2 bracers, +1 magic, +1 weapon focus, +1 haste +1 kdev= +6 -> 26/21/16
    Damage: 1d8+1 bracers +1 kdev +6 dex +1pbs +1d6 NL +1d6 acid= 1d8+9+1d6 NL+ 1d6 acid

22. - Top - End - #892
    Titan in the Playground

@Ilven: Of course it wasn't dead.

Who knows if the creature was biding its time to get the jump on you or that in fact, it would've remained docile and harmless, but that's water under the bridge now. Both you and Kalir have initiated battle with who knows what in this accursed district, long forgotten by everyone.

The arrows fly true, as only the Arrow of God can fire them. However, a few things become all too clear:

Your non lethal damage isn't even bothering this thing. It pacified the other beasts earlier. Not this one.

Your acid doesn't even harm it. Not one bit. The other cloaked ones showed a modicum of resistance to it. This one simply shrugs it off.

@Kalir: The cloaked beast towers above you and extends its long bandaged arms. Dried blood caked on its wrists while its claws, wisping black green smoke, come down on your body, clawing at you with lethal force as it embraces you...and not a friendly one.

Spoiler: Noxious Hold
    Show
    21 damage plus poison Fortitude DC 25 or take 2 Con damage and 6 Con damage 1 minute later.

Plus Improved Grab DC 44

@The Party: Camus watches the fight and then looks at his pocket watch before sprinting towards the end of the room.

"This is just a dumb delay. Don't go picking up fights where we can avoid them! I will meet you past this place. Be smart..."

Map

Show
    Kalir
    Ilven
    Beast Matron
    Camus
    Daun
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2019-04-09 at 04:18 PM.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"Camus! Ugh, fine, don't go far."

Daun upturns her pouch of components and empties a handful of acorns into her hand, spilling a number of other seeds and twigs and... things that others might sweep out the front door. She rolls the acorns in her hands and heats them up, until they start to catch abaze. The seeds bounce and roll in her hands, brimming with potential energy.

Daun steps around into the room and rolls one acorn in her left hand. "Watch out Kalir, I'm going to burn this guy."

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Fire Seeds and moving to r18.

Creating 3 acorns that deal 7/4/2 D6 fire damage
    Show

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

@Daun: Camus is already bolting out.

You will have time to reprimand him later. Right now, Kalir is in a very bad position, as the Beast has a firm grip on the Royal Guard. Even Ilven's mighty shots don't seem to hurt it, but if what The Crow mentioned awhile back is true...

It's a handful of acorns grasped in your hand that burn, not unlike Camus' own arcane orbs as you walk into the room and lock eyes with the shrouded beast, declaring your intent to burn it down to cinders.

@Kalir: Your training in the Sublime Way has proven very good... until now.

Despite your best efforts, this thing has incredible strength. And it shows as your discipline is unable to block its claw and your body feels incredibly weak as both arms are nearly ripped out of their sockets by this monster, which wheezes in your face.

Round 2

Map

Show
    Kalir
    Ilven

Beast Matron
    Camus
    Daun
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2019-04-09 at 09:07 PM.

25. - Top - End - #895

Kalir coughed, trying to spit out the noxious fumes. He twitches his foot and suddenly he teleports out of the beasts' reach. Reaching into his magical backpack he retrieves a different mask and puts it on while with the other hand he flaps his blurring cloak to blow away what fumes he could. He sucks in a deep breath through it which strengthens his body against poisons. "Too late now. Help here so we can get back to searching!"

Show
    Swift to use boots to teleport to X18. Move action to retrieve Auran Mask. Another move action to put it on. +5 on Fort saves vs inhaled toxins for one hour. One time use.

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    +5 STR checks
    +4 saves vs fear
    Immune to blinded or dazzled
    Low Light vision: 2x human
    Stance: Hearing the Air
    Blind Fight
    Blur: 20% concealment (cloak)
    +5 on Fort saves vs inhaled toxins for one hour

Battle Clarity: INT to Reflex saves (not flat-footed)
    Uncanny Dodge: Retain Dex when flat-footed or vs invisible enemy
    Improved Uncanny Dodge: Can't be flanked (like Barbarian)
    Battle Ardor +INT to confirm crits
    Battle Cunning: +INT damage vs flat-footed or flanked
    Battle Skill: +INT to oppose bull rush, feint, overrun, sunder or trip attempt

HP: 123/210 3 CON damage
    DR 3/- (30 of 30 used)
    AC: 21 Touch: 14 FF: 17 (Combat Expertise 5)

Damage:
    Claws: 11, 9, 8, 11 (after DR)
    Claws: 8 (after DR)
    Claws: 8 (after DR) (start of fight vs 9)
    Claws: 6, 5, 10, 10, 7 (after DR) (interceding for Camus)
    Claws: 7, 10 (IC #859)
    Claws: 14, 14, 10, 9 (IC #864) 1 CON damage 157 running damage
    Claws: 7, 15, 8 (IC #870)
    Noxious: 25, 2 CON damage

Show

26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground

@Kalir: This may not have been the best idea.

Despite your best efforts, the toxins run through your body. Fighting this thing right now is a terrible idea. Head on, it would be suicidal, as you have just begun to find out.

And so, using one of the many expensive trinkets at your disposal, you clack your talons together and in a blue flurry of arcane feathers, disappear and reappear ten feet away from your initial position. The beast claws at thin air before realizing you are gone and wheezes some more as it flexes its long stringy bandages arms, not ready to let go of this interloper.

Given the distance you have with it, escaping and moving away would and should be easy. But you are a Royal Guard- it is your duty to put all threats down and right now, this thing is a threat to you. Swapping masks, you ensure that those toxins will never hurt you again, while Camus watches from the other end of the room and raises an eyebrow, but says nothing.

Map

Show
    Kalir
    Ilven
    Beast Matron
    Camus
    Daun
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2019-04-10 at 04:37 PM.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

“Oh, so you want to die,” Ilven chides the beast, or maybe the Archmage who was refusing to help, then quickly disables the enchantment whose option made him so much better than the Crow and her ilk.

Then across and past Camus, deeper into the ruin. Poisonous and cruel as the creature was, it was very large. Perhaps that could be used to their advantage.

Spoiler: no mercy
    Show

1.) standard action, disable Merciful enchantment
    2.) free action, boots of haste (4/10)
    3.) swift action, quicksilver motion (60’ move)
    4.) move action (60’ move)
    Goal of ending up in the G11-ish area.

This should give line of sight on what’s farther in, hopefully. (Or he’ll just disturb another room full of beasts, of course, given my luck)
    Specifically, What do the barrels represent? How far apart are the two closest ones? Is the brown hallway a bridge (assuming barrels do not block line of sight to it)?

28. - Top - End - #898
    Titan in the Playground

@Ilven: Not a single hit...

Time to get serious then. And on the move. This thing has not been hurt at all by either you or Kalir, need to get some distance from it. And so, you activate the lethal function of your bow and apply the training from the Blooming Lotus, mixed with your belt and dash past the stuffy room and Camus himself, descending a short flight of stairs and stop.

This is another open area- an alley like so many seen here in Old Halmathan. The walls that make the alley are tall and like many here, cracked and burnt. The end of the alley used to be a wall, but now it's destroyed, allowing you a foggy smoky sight of the rest of this forgotten patch of City. Wooden barrels have been placed around the alley and you can observe two of those gangly beasts patrolling the area. They don't seem to have taken notice of you, or the battle happening in the room right next to them.

You can, however, spot something shiny at the end of this long alley, nestled behind one of the furthermost barrels, right before a wooden bridge takes you further into this horrid place.

@Kalir: barely have time to breathe and this thing already takes a single step towards you, wheezing in your face as it shrieks louder than those cloaked ones before and begins a bestial flurry of claw swipes, each more brutal and lethal than the last!

Spoiler: 1st Frenzy Claw Swipe
    Show
    17 damage plus poison DC Fortitude DC 25 or take 2 Con damage and 7 Con damage 1 minute later.

Spoiler: 2nd Frenzy Claw Swipe
    Show
    21 damage plus poison DC Fortitude DC 25 or take 2 Con damage and 3 Con damage 1 minute later.

Spoiler: 3rd Frenzy Claw Swipe
    Show
    16 damage plus poison DC Fortitude DC 25 or take 2 Con damage and 2 Con damage 1 minute later.

That third claw doesn't just swipe you- it latches on to your chest...

Spoiler: 4th Frenzy Claw Swipe
    Show
    16 damage plus poison DC Fortitude DC 25 or take 2 Con damage and 5 Con damage 1 minute later.

That last one latches on as well, as the creature tilts its hooded head back in what can only be guessed as sheer delight before it tears your body apart with brutal force, spilling your blood all over the walls and floor!

Spoiler: Rend
    Show

20 damage

That's it... this thing will kill you now.

It is then that Camus takes out a wand he must've purchased who knows how long ago and both you and him are covered in a white arcane glow as you appear where he is and the elf pops right in front of the beast, flying low towards you, but getting clawed in the process as he winces through the pain.

Spoiler: Switch Trick
    Show

Benign Transposition wand, charges left: 49/50

"Purge that poison out if you can and let's get the hell out of here. We cannot spend our resources fighting everything we come across. Daun! Cover our escape if you can or run!"

Map

Show
    Kalir
    Ilven
    Beast Matron
    Camus
    Daun
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2019-04-10 at 11:38 PM.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Daun walks backwards shaking her head. "So needy. Daun do this, Daun do that." She snaps her fingers and a roaring wall of flame, radiating flower petals off the tongues of orange fire, springs into existence between the creature and Ilven and her. "You're welcome. Kalir, hang in there..."

With the creature hopefully deterred, she starts hustling over to the dying raptoran. With more concern, she pulls a thread on her belt and moves with supernatural haste.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving to n14, then casting wall of fire in the column between Q and R. Then using a charge from my belt of battle to move to h14
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2019-04-10 at 10:02 PM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #900
    Titan in the Playground

@Daun: Since when is Camus taking the helm in this sinking ship?

Be that as it may, Kalir is in no position to fight right now. Had you been at the end of such attacks, you would've survived- years of training as a druid have made you immune to poison. No matter how hard that thing may claw and rend, it will never toxify your blood stream...

But the raptoran isn't a druid. Camus has managed to get him as far away from that Beast as possible, but his pallor is chalk white. In less than a minute, Kalir will die. As someone who has lived amongst animals for most of your life, you are aware of what poison can do to its victim. The most mild ones can leave someone paralyzed. But this is one that affects his entire nervous system. Shock will come soon and with it, death.

If what The Crow said is true, this ought to keep it away. Normally, you would have to focus on it, but even without hefty concentration, it will buy you and the others enough time to patch up and leave it behind, should it decide to give chase.

And so, a myriad of rose petals whirl from your hands and combust mid air, forming a menacing wall of violet flame. The last thing you can see from the Beast before your spell envelops sight is a slight flinch from it as the whole room is basked in light from the flames, which naturally, do not hurt you- they are designed to burn it, should it come close.

But you aren't done here, as you turn your belt's buckle and make a mad dash towards Kalir, who is already at Death's Door by now.

Map

Show
    Kalir
    Ilven
    Beast Matron
    Camus
    Daun
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2019-04-12 at 12:58 AM.