New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Tides that Bind IC

Kalir was as usual very gracious to the healers for their help. They wouldn't accept coin, but good people like that was what he worked to defend as a Royal Guard.

Challenged to a race, he bids goodnight to the Helguard and launches himself into the air toward Glendale. Daun got the slightest of a head start but the raptoran's practiced combat flying gave him the slight edge in maneuverability getting up and over the rooftops, leaving them even. Once in the open air the two were equal in speed. Speeding over the rooftops below the two matched speeds. With a slight grin Kalir timed his flap just right and buffeted the raven back a bit. This led the two of them to playfully work their wings extra hard. Their accelerated paces still matched true while it lasted. Kalir's hardened conditioning gave him the endurance to outlast the bird. As she slowed to a more normal quick pace he did the same. As they reached Glendale the two dove towards the trees. This was the druid's home turf and here her size gave her the advantage. Kalir had to slow his pace to move around trees whereas Daun was able to pass between the limbs on a straighter course.

Kalir arrives and Daun is already in human form petting T'nauri Ri. The raptoran allows the dinosaur to sniff him before giving it some scratching between its armor plates. Daun and Kalir set up their gear for sleep and talk for a while. Daun falls asleep. Kalir finds his way over to a lake using the light of the moon. He takes a quiet dip to clean himself of at least some of the day's blood and sweat. He returns to his bedroll and meditates on all of the week's challenges into the late night. His ring grants him the benefit of only needing a couple of hours of sleep a night which gives him much time to meditate than most would assume he has.

His morning practice is interrupted by a number of druids. Kalir is somewhat confused. He wasn't trying to cut down trees or wildlife, simply moving through kata. The weapon wasn't evil. He had kept it hand axe size. Thresher was more a threat to the nearby trees than the axe was in either form, but they hadn't had issues with it, back when he had it. He wasn't in the mood for an argument so he flipped it from low behind his back, between his wings, up over his shoulder and caught it in his other hand then hooked it to his hip. He gives an apologetic out-turning of his hands then goes back to his weapon katas as if his was wielding Thresher.

Daun delivers the archmage news. "I'll meet you there. I need to make a purchase." He'll collect his gear and fly off back into the city proper, meeting up with the rest at Runestone.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

2. - Top - End - #962
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Yes, the tower of commerce. Should have been obvious that Camus wouldn’t know anywhere more specific than a massive tower where generalized ‘craftsmen’ went. Who knew if he even left Runestone on ordinary business. However...”You’re probably right, the larger the market the better the chance of having what I want.”

Ilven doesn’t bother to accept the invitation, merely accompanies the wizard to his quarters.

Divinations and divine-divinations; Camus must have been truly desperate if he was turning to religion for answers. But what could he possibly be looking for? The girl was obviously in either the Old City or Hemwick lane, and while knowing which one would be helpful... only the Archmage could drag ‘more questions than he started with’ out of that. ”Heavens forbid you have to say anything twice.”

He takes his time pouring the tea, enjoying the relatively exotic flavor and the novelty of a cup not stained with years of tannins while the wizard carted the eye around the room. Once he’d finished with the possibly dangerous task, Ilven sets the saucer down with a clink. “One thing I’ve wondered- why don’t you destroy that eye instead of protecting it? It shouldn’t be hard. Can’t even fight back.”

3. - Top - End - #963
    Titan in the Playground

"Tha's an excellent question, Sir Ilven", he says and pour him some drink himself, "I'm saving it as a gift to buy someone's else favor. As you know, pretty much everyone dont know or dont talk about the matters we are investigating, but a fellow archmage did talk about the Scourge with me and Daun. He may be the only doctor interested in trying to save someone afflicted by it, so when Kalir went mad I thoguht he may be the one who can help us cure him. And my cousin as well, since who knows if she havent turned into a Beast already".

He take a look at the jar and then back to his guest, "He's a tad eccentric though, so where a gifted bottle of wine failed maybe this most grim curio maybe suceed. And since scheduling a meeting with him took me much favors and influence, that gift and one or two patients may do the trick".

"But what is worse is that when I asked if he can help Kalir or if Kalir was sick the answers were... Unclear. Whatever this disease is I'm pretty sure it isnt a disease at all. More like a curse or something else, reason why the entity contacted by the oracle failed to give any insight the same way divine magic failed to heal those who fell to it. I fear this whole thing is something... ungodly. But better wait we the rest so I dont keep repeating myself".

He look at is pocketwatch and sigh, "I've Sent for Daun this morning, so they must be arriving at any moment".
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

As if on cue, there's a light rapping on Camus' window: a familiar looking raven, pecking a bit to be let in.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #965
    Titan in the Playground

@Daun: According to Eari and other druids, this isn't the first time Kalir has swung that axe in Glenndale.

He was told once before not to do it. This is a natural preserve, after all. Yes, animals prey on each other and it is not unheard of druids shapeshifting into predators to gain sustenance from the local fauna, those who embrace the wilder side of druidism.

But something about axes and trees... it just doesn't click with the community at large. Kalir may be careful about his training and calculated swings, but just as there are druids who embrace the animalistic side of Nature, there are those who spend most if not their entire lives as trees themselves, to best understand the call of Mother Earth.

Ehlonna forbid that any such man shrub be cut down during friendly practice.

The raptoran can do his warblade training pretty much anywhere in the City- it's big enough. You already have Beasts to deal with. You don't need angry druids to add to the list.

And while he takes off to buy whatever he wants to buy, you assume the form of the raven and take off into the grey skies of Halmathan, catching the early cold currents towards Runestone, as you fly over a thousand rooftops and don't even bother announcing yourself at the immense gate to the arcane Academy.

After all, you can fly. And can a wizard do that? Druids are masters of the elements, but not wizards, as you find Camus' building and land of the window sill, pecking at the pane with your beak.

Ilven is already inside, tea in hand and comfortably seated. Camus, unlike the older bearded elf, paces around the room. Hard to tell what he's saying since he's inside, but the pecking catches the archmage's attention...eventually.

@Kalir:
    You could murder every single druid in this place right now. Daun included.

Who the hell do these people think they are to come and tell you where you can practice or not? You are a goddamn Royal Guard, protector of the City. Your body and mind are weapons. Weapons are meant to kill. And if you have to kill these tree huggers to save many more... will anyone even care?

But as your mind swirls with such jolly ideas, Daun is quick to drag you out of Glenndale and fly off to see Camus at Runestone.

You need masks. You aren't going back there without masks. Auran Masks are the answer to everything. That is why there are no Beasts down there: because a bunch of people like you put them on and killed them utterly... and that's that.

Regardless, you buy the masks and following Daun's advice, leave the Royal District where the Tower of Commerce is situated and cross the City from above. Being a raptoran- and THE most powerful raptoran there is anywhere in the world, you can fly for days- years even- without sweating or needing to catch a break. It comes as no surprise then, that you need not announce yourself at all at the Academy Gates and merely fly over them.

Wizards can't fly. They're wizards, the runts of a very weak flock.

Having spent a night at Camus' place, finding his domicile isn't difficult. The students below can see you- you are a mighty raptoran. And many would know who you are by your status and armor alone, but stupid wizards... they don't even bow or cower in fear as you land at the archmage's doorstep and give it a single loud knock.

@Camus: Could you destroy that disgusting eye in a jar? Of course.

There's at least ten different spells in your grimoire that could get the job done. Ilven argues it "can't fight back". Not in a way the Helguard is acquainted with anyways. Still, gruesome as it may be, this eye may have its uses.

As for everything else, ideas. Some of which you share with the Arrow of God. You are not a religious man. Sure, a quick prayer to Boccob may spurt out of your mouth every now and then. But hell, that guy is known as The Uncaring.

And so far, he has shown to live up to his name. No, The Master of Magic many here hold so dear is not the one to provide answers. You have them, but best have everyone gathered here because nobody likes a repeat performance.

And just as Sir Ilven puts down the cup of tea, a light peck at your window and a rude knock on your door cause your eleven ears to to tingle as Thing yawns as loud as he can and curls his tail around his body, seeking warmth on your bed, yet to be made.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2019-05-13 at 04:37 PM.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Titan in the Playground

Camus hear the pecks in his window and look at the raven. Daun, obviously. The druid seemed to like that raven form. Walking towards the window he hear the rude knock on his door and point it to Sir Ilven, "Can you check the door?"

He then open up the window and walk away to give her some space, "Would you like some tea?", he offer them both as they make their way in his quarters, making sure to close the window after the druid enter, best to avoid their words escape the room.

"Now that we are all here together, let me tell what my visit to the oracle told me", he sits at the table and make sure everyone have their cups full before starting, "I've divined on my cousin to try to help us find her. My first questions were if there is any hope for her and to that I received a yes. She is still alive and can be saved, but athose answers were valid for yesterday, so if we lag too much those may change. Reason why I called you right away".

"I then asked if her whereabouts had the name Hamalthan on it and it does, so I'm sure she's somewhere in Old Hamalthan".

He drink his cup and look at Kalir, "This where it get weird though. When I asked about your condition, if you were sick, the oracle couldnt get a clear answer. Same happened when I asked if Dr. Cutter may help cure you. Divine magic failed to heal the Scourge and apparently even divinations are somewhat useless to gain information regarding it.THis reinforce my idea that it is a ungodly thing".

"And since Kalir showed some weird symptons, I asked if I was infected as well, to which the answer was no. I was short on questions, so I'm unsure if you two are okay or not", he says looking to Daun and Ilven, "The last questions were more personal, with the exception of the one asking if Thresher can still be recovered", he look to Kalir and reasure him, "Which he can. I bought a couple scrolls of Locate Object, so we can use them to locate your weapon back. My idea was to Teleport into that ruin and from there he started looking for the beast who took it from you, while trying to find where the shooter is hiding and where is Kaylin".

"I believe the faster e go the better are the odds t ofinding Kaylin alive. If Daun can master the winds, maybe she can create an area of fog-free around us or maybe disssipate the whole thing. Anyway, I've selected more battle spells than I like to and I'm ready to return to that ruin as soon as you're ready".
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

”A curse would make sense. If things like Daegal are waking...” he trails off at the pounding at the door.

And Ilven plays errand boy to an archmage, of all things. “Don’t feel like flipping it open from there?” He grumbles quietly, but lets the raptoran in.

He listens curiously to Camus’ divinations, but shakes his head dismissively at any concerns of his infection. “If we are infected, we’ll find out shortly enough. Perhaps the three of us should stay away from large crowds for the time being. Or maybe just two- Daun has experience with keeping her head in B-... animal form, so she may not even be a concern.” He would write himself off as clean. But with the gaps in his memory... who could say for sure?

He nods at the Archmage’s plan. “Sounds good enough for me. Kalir raised a good point last night- if we’re planning to go today, it should be while the sun is still high, to avoid giving the gunman an advantage from all those fires.”

8. - Top - End - #968

Kalir listens intently to the archmage. "You said you had seen her in one of your spells right? Now that we have spent time in Old Hamalthan do the surroundings seem familiar? If she's still there and alive, then we go. Since we'll start with the element of surprise we should take advantage of it. Take our time and keep our presence hidden as long as we can. Let Sir Ilven and myself make use of our heightened senses. Let me scout ahead with my flight and invisibility. The air above shouldn't bother me this time. Archmage, that fiery scroll you gave me- how long will the effect last?"

He somewhat quickly finishes his tea with a nod of thanks while listening to everyone's responses. "Let's not waste anytime more time here."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Don't forget to update char sheets for the new day, gear, spells, and maneuvers.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

9. - Top - End - #969
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

The raven hops onto Camus' desk and watches the others with her piercing gaze as they discuss.

"Pssh, what do you mean if? I have a variety of hurricane force spells that should divert the gunman's attacks. As for the smog, I'll dissipate it by performing the purifying dance of the unicorn."

There's a beat, then she realizes that probably sounded... strange to those not familiar. "It's a spell, I promise! It should clear the air, but you'll have to stick close to me, and it will only last a few minutes.

"Agreed, Kalir. Let's go."
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #970
    Titan in the Playground

"I saw a ruined city and OLd hamalthan is ruined. There were also growls and howls, which the derelict district also have. And according to the divination, it have Hamalthan in its name, so Old Hamalthan beat Hemwick Lane. That of course, if the prediction was right. Communing and many other divinations that reach for answers from the Outer Planes sometimes are wrong for many reasons, but they usually are more likely to be true than false".

"As for the fiery scroll: the Crow never mentioned much about it, only how it works and that beasts dislikes fire. Speaking of her... I asked if she can be trustred and the oracle answered 'yes'", he says and look to Sir Ilven, before looking at Kalir, "Use it with wisdom".

What comes next leave the archmage speechless. After a moment he nod in approval.
    "The dance of the unicorn... Sounds like a fabulous plan", he says and look to the crow in his table, "Well thought".

Getting up and putting the cups away so he can do his dishes after, he look at Sir Ilven.
    "Before we go, let me ward you", he says and touch the bearded elf's shoulder and cast a powerful ward on him.

Spoiler: Superior Resistance
    Show
    +6 resistance bonus on saves for 24 hours. Camus CL for this is 16th (add 4 against dispel).

One everyone is gathered together, he join hands and Teleport back to the room they left.

Spoiler: Teleport
    Show
    Turning a Break Enchantment into Teleport.

11. - Top - End - #971

"The Crow, while annoying, has proven herself plenty to me."

Kalir joins hands as requested. Just before the archmage's spell completes the warblade activates his ring of invisibility. If there was an enemy at hand when they arrived he preferred to be at an advantage.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #972
    Titan in the Playground

@Daun: The last time flying over that place nearly got all of you killed.

All those burning bodies laid bare on the streets of Old Halmathan have turned the air foul, but... you are a druid. Dealing with noxious fumes is just one of many talents someone like you possesses. If you have to dance to the mythical unicorn's tune to clean out the slog, so be it.

It will be a nice little cruise through the ruins with it. Victory is guaranteed.

@Kalir: The only thing that matters here is Thresher.

Camus' cousin is an excuse. A good one, truth be told. But a scrawny elf lost in that place? If she's found and not torn to pieces, good. The mage can bring her back and be a happy family once more.

Thresher is another matter entirely. That's your weapon. A costly one and extremely powerful. There are many maces wielded in the City, but only one Thresher...and damn it if you aren't going to kill an entire town of Beasts and pry it off their dead hands before the day's done.

And because you have already proven beyond doubt that your ring works wonders against those things, you activate it and become unseen to the group as you order them to gather around Camus and reach out to Daun's feathered head and the elf's shoulder, instructing him to take you back.

@Camus: The smartest man in the entire City... going off a blind woman's words.

Is Kaylin in Old Halmathan? Your vast intellect and reasoning says "yes". Runestone has oracles as well and be they divine or arcane in origin, the answers they spit out are best taken to heart than with a grain of salt. It is always recommended to act quickly on them too:

Constants and variables.

You let the others know what they need to know and bestow upon Ilven the ability to survive the worst, should more of those beasts get the jump on you down there. Poison is deadly, and some of those Beasts use it a lot. Can't have your archer dropping dead should he get caught on the wrong end of a barrage of claws.

And once it is agreed upon, the group gathers around you and with your head lowered, you visualize the last ruined room you fought the large cloaked beast before leaving as your room begins to rumble and shake, unmaking itself by your own arcane will.

And when you raise your head again, the crumbling district of Old Halmathan- specifically the room you were in.

Traces of ash cover the walls. Lingering remnants of Daun's wall of fire the day prior. A lot of rubble, of course. Caked blood from the previous scuffle, mostly Kalir's...

But no beast to greet you. The growls can be heard off in the distance. They haven't left their home and hopefully they aren't aware you are in theirs now.

Map
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2019-05-22 at 05:48 AM.

13. - Top - End - #973
    Titan in the Playground

Returning to the ruined room, Camus is actually glad they didnt end in the middle of the sea. That mishap did bothered him.

"Now let's see if I can sense Thresher", he says and open up a scroll and read it as the piece of paper crumbles to dust after he recite the final words.

Spoiler: Locate Object
    Show
    On Thresher.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Ilven takes note of Camus’ rather pointed glance. Trustworthy was an awfully strong term, especially for one who’d made her entrance nearly coming to blows...

“‘Annoying’ is an understatement.” He exhales hard, unable to believe he’s saying this. ”But she hasn’t been wrong yet about the Scourge.”

After that it’s time for magic, whether Daun’s explanation or Camus’ gift and transportation- both of which are accepted as the comfortable apartment fades into the now-familiar ruined room that had likely never been as well-appointed as the archmage’s chambers.

And as Camus casts again to find thresher, Ilven retrieves the small wooden box from his bag and carefully checks that all potions are secure before choosing one- the only one doubled- and stowing the rest. He flicks off the wax seal, pops the cork... and should stand more of a chance against any claws coming his way.

Spoiler: Procrastinate poison
    Show

Using the potion of delay poison to... delay poison. Any poisons inflicted but currently delayed will be noted under “condition” on Ilven’s sheet.

15. - Top - End - #975

Kalir is ready for battle as the new environment is encountered. Neither seeing nor sensing any immediate threat he looks around and sniffs the air while he hefts the handaxe in one hand.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Hunter's Scent briefly then switch back to Hear the Air.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #976
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Daun flaps a bit to regain her balance as the lurching effect of the teleportation wears off.

"Camus, I can Circle Dance twice today, and I have a few spells to burrow. It wouldn't be fast, but if it comes to it, I can point us in the direction and dig us a tunnel to Kaylin. ... Or, I could circle dance towards the sniper. It seems to me we have three things we can do:"

She holds up a wing with three feathers, but can't actually put them up or down individually.

"One, take out the sniper. This could be messy, and could take a while, and could force us to rest after dealing with him if we underestimate his strength. But it would make our searching around here fairly uninhibited. You know, besides all the beasts.
    Two, find Kaylin. We know as of last night she's still here somewhere, and we shouldn't push our luck seeing how long she can keep herself safe. But we'll be taking sniper fire the whole time.
    Or three, find thresher. Obviously it not on such a dire time schedule as finding Kaylin, but it will help us take down the sniper faster.

My vote goes to doing them in that order. I think we can't do anything until we stop someone from shooting us. And obviously we all want Kalir's weapon back, but it's not as if harm is going to come to it down here.

How do others vote?"
    Show

17. - Top - End - #977
    Titan in the Playground

Camus focus his attentions around with his divinations and while listening to Daun's proposal of poll.

"The shooter is rather annoying, sure. But he's doing his job or at least what he find is right. I'm not that intent in murder. I vote we look for Kaylin while trying to avoid attracting his attention. If Thresher enter the radar we set ourselves to pick it and if the shooter finds us, then we go after him or use one of your many hurricane spells".

Spoiler: Vote
    Show
    Kaylin > Thresher > Shooter

He's more tan happy to avoid him if possible and focus on what he thinks matter more.

If Thresher shows on the radius of the spell then the priority would go to picking Thresher.
    Same for the Shooter if he shows up before we find her.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Titan in the Playground

@Ilven: Trust a Hunter?

Who in their right mind would? They are a bloodthirsty lot. Killers, all of them. Using all manner of grisly methods to end lives left and right. Only the most vile and insane would associate with such an obscure group and proudly boast of it...

And yet here we are. Camus says she's okay. And has a mage ever lied?

Regardless of what ideas and conceptions you may have about her, you arrive back at Old Halmathan. Dusty, rubble filled and lethal. Best not take any chances before engaging any of the many threats that lurk these streets as you quaff down one of the potions purchased at Runestone.

It doesn't taste good, but things that aid your body rarely do. These beasts can claw at you all they want- not a single drop of poison will flow through your body now. Of course, it would be ideal if they never clawed at you in the first place.

@Camus:
    Ravens don't have joints.

They do, but not enough to perfectly raise three feathers, simulating a human hand. However, she can speak, so her ideas are heard loud and clear.

Go for the mad gunner... and hope he doesn't shoot all of you down in the process.

Find Kaylin. Your cousin may share your bloodline, but that's it. When it comes to arcane prowess, she isn't you. Kaylin never really took to swordsmanship, either. So were she to run out of spells down here... how is she going to defend herself?

That is unless, she found Thresher... wishful thinking. There is a reason why you purchased two scrolls for exactly that reason and waste no time reading the words aloud as the scroll burns in your hands and some of the ashes fall around you, forming a semi perfect circle, washed away by a gentle breeze.

The Divination is working, but Thresher is right now, not within sight of the spell. The oracle said it could be retrieved. She never said where it was. It has been a full day since you had to leave this room. You have flown and teleported around Halmathan in that time while the others went to kick back some pints at a pub.

To think the Beast that absconded Thresher would remain idle is again... wishful thinking. And yet, your vote regarding the path to pursue is the most obvious:

Find Kaylin. And then get out of here.

@Kalir: Daun and her proposals.

You could handle the gun man alone. If you had Thresher. Nobody that's stood against you with it has survived. That shooter ought to be no different. With every single protection purchased and by virtue of Daun and Camus, navigating and finding Thresher in this ruined district will be an easy task, as you sniff the air around you and wince.

This entire place smells bad. Burning bodies do not give off pleasant odors. But your training as a warblade doesn't catch the obvious smells everyone else is probably trying to stifle.

There's something impossibly pungent amidst the rubble and debris in this room. Not too far from your location and sense of smell.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2019-05-15 at 11:27 PM.

19. - Top - End - #979
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Ilven nods.”We know the gunman watches the entrance. If we’re quiet, we might avoid him entirely, get what we came for, and leave with him none the wiser.” Truth be told, the shooter could be watching the whole city like a hawk. But not killing the one keeping the beasts contained sounded like a good plan.

“By that token, shall we leave out the back, try to avoid the main streets?”

Spoiler: vote
    Show

Kaylin=Thresher>Shooter

(Unless the shooter forces our hand or his position becomes obvious. We don’t even know where he is, going for him first would guarantee his attention.)

20. - Top - End - #980
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Daun nods her tiny raven head, noting how outnumber she is. "Fair enough. Let's at least get a direction to head in. Are we ready to go? The circle dance will only tell me what direction she is in, but if she moves from that heading I won't know."
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2019-05-16 at 01:03 PM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #981

Staying in the room for now, Kalir cancels his invisibility. "Sir Ilven, smell that? It's over here." He moves over to the debris and uses the handaxe if possible to find the source of the smell, expecting something dead.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #982
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Ilven changes his stance and sniffs the air experimentally, grimacing at the foul odor. ”Yes, I smell it,” he grumbles, then pulls a full-sized shovel out of his small bag and helps Kalir to shift the debris. Better than sticking something he’d have to keep on him into the stench.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

1.) switching stance to hunter’s sense, gaining the scent ability.

2.) survival pouch 1/5 to get a shovel, as that’s probably better for clearing debris than an axe

23. - Top - End - #983
    Titan in the Playground

@Kalir: Such horrid and yet intoxicating aroma...

Odd the others haven't caught on to it, but you have. And so does Sir Ilven once he begins sniffing the air around the direction of the odor, as the Hunter's Axe is used as a shovel... with poor results.

Axes are used to chop, not shovel. They can, but more likely than not, it's an endeavor that will take a lot longer and may damage the axe in the process, depending on the composition of the debris.

@Ilven: It's said that some minor things may trigger memories in the mind. A fleeting sound, the sight of an as of yet unseen yet awfully familiar picture...

Or even the scent of things best thought forgotten.

Stepping in front of Kalir, you draw out the shovel and feverishly get to work. You may not be as strong as the raptoran- your arms, old and skilled, are best used handling a bow, not managing a shovel. But shovel you must, as you push down on on it and wedge away the debris as sweat runs down your brow from exhaustion as the last piece of stone work is pushed aside and kneel in front of the source.

It's a man... may have been a man. The time spent crushed under the debris has erased all facial features, but its trappings look almost ecclesiastical...and very old. Just leathery skin and bones, with its arms cradling something in its fetal position. The source of that stench:

Mature blood cocktail that releases a pungent odor when thrown that attracts blood-thirsty beasts.

A precious tool in sadly short supply.

In Halmathan, they produced more blood than alcohol. as the former was found to be the more intoxicating.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

When the body is clear, Ilven tosses the shovel to one side carelessly, then pulls the stinking thing from the corpse's grasp and holds it up to the light. Of all the things to remember... why this? Had Beasts been among the terrors beyond the city's walls in the Helguard's time? It's possible, of course, therefore Ilven decides it has to be true. Would certainly explain the Crow and Time.

“It attracts Beasts,” he says confidently. “Might be useful to getting through the city with less trouble than last time. Throw it and watch the show unfold.” He tosses it underhand to Kalir, confident that the Raptoran would catch the stinking thing before it met the ground.

More worrying was that snippet about blood being intoxicating. When had the Healing Church become a major power, again?

25. - Top - End - #985
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"Uhhh... guys?" The bird looks curiously at the two warriors digging in the dirt and pull up the vial. "Great... Can we go? What's the plan? And are we sure carrying that vial around isn't going to attract beasts to us?"
    Show

26. - Top - End - #986

Kalir deftly caught the vial one handed. He quickly put it into his magical back pack. "There. That should deal with the issue of giving them a scent to follow. Let's save it for when we really need to draw them away from somewhere."

"If you can all be patient, I think careful scouting by me to check an area then bringing you forward will give us the best chance to search without being discovered. I'm not looking to get into a fight alone in here."
    Show

27. - Top - End - #987
    Titan in the Playground

"I think its time you do your Circle Dance looking for Kaylin. That will give us a direction to start looking", he says and look to Kalir, "And scouting".

28. - Top - End - #988
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Daun bobs her tiny raven head. "Alright, then let's start." She scratches a compass rose into the dirt with her beak, and glares sharply at everyone. "No one laugh. This is serious business." Given her current form, it's impossible to tell if she's making a joke or being completely serious.

And then, she dances.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting circle dance
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2019-05-20 at 03:45 PM.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #989
    Titan in the Playground

@Daun: Time to find Kaylin... through the unstoppable power of Dance!

Now, were you in human form, this mystical and very theatrical Divination would have attracted onlookers for miles. As a young noble yourself, you are quite fetching on the eyes and your rhythmic movements in tune with Mother Earth have given even T'nauri pause to watch in wonder as you would dance through your verdant grove, calling forth the Old Spirits to guide you.

As a raven flopping your feathers clumsily amidst a ruined bloodied and derelict building, cawing at the group and clawing on the floor with your feeble talons, well...

Maybe the raptoran might find it somewhat familiar, given his race. But once the dance is over and you trip on your claws and fall with an inaudible dusty splat on the floor, it hits you:

You have never met Kaylin. Heard her name? Plenty. Camus has mentioned her and she is the main reason why you are here, but when it comes down to it- you have never even exchanged glances with the wizard's cousin and so...

The spell fails.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Daun pauses as the spell ends, and she feels no affect of understanding the route to Kaylin.

There's an awkward beat. Unable to look even more like a fool in front of people, she turns to the others and says simply, "Err... something blocked the divination."

Well, it's technically true.
    Show