New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: The Tides that Bind IC

"Six??" Daun looks incredulous. In fact, she wasn't certain that beast on the bridge hadn't done something to her. It was a late night last night, but to sleep seventeen hours? Unheard of, except on some rare occasions when she had been deathly ill. "Guess I didn't quite live up to my name sake today, huh?"

So that was lady Ravenna. She should have guessed by the sandals. "You can sure say that again. She said something about an Old Adage and just left."

Once Daun arrives at the cafe, she suddenly realizes how starving she is. She gives T'nauri another pat on the side and walks in, grabbing a menu for some breakfa-- no, dinner apparently.

Morrick starts to grate at her good mood: the man's tone of voice was awfully accusatory for someone supposedly looking for help. She narrows her gaze.

"Animals rarely attack unless they feel threatened, Morrick. We druids may tend to Glenndale, but we live in harmony with it: this thing that attacked you, perhaps you were near its children or in it's territory.

"You want compensation? Ahahaha!"
    Daun actually lets out peals of laughter at the notion. "This isn't some construction job. These lands owe you nothing, Morrick. And unlike the rest of Hamalthan, things in Glenndale must be earned, they aren't given. So your compensation," She points to his legs. "Is that your legs will heal. Hopefully you learned something good.

"How much do I like the community? I love it. It may not be perfect, sure, but we are the living beating heart of Hamalthan. We are the wild that butts against the tame day-to-day of the city. Like it or not that is what pulls you and so many others here: the beauty and peace a walk through the park can provide sure, but also the freedom to do as you like. That includes the freedom to make mistakes.

"Still, if there are creatures in Glenndale being hostile I do want to know about it. Why don't you tell me about this thing that attacked you and your men? What did it look like, what did it do?"
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

"I'll make sure to look at those matters, but you're asking me to do keep an eye as Griswold or as Runestone?", he ask the old wizard and drink his tea, "Cause that change a few things".

"But yes. It was in fact seven before the bottle. But I know what I saw", he frown and shake his head, "That thing was very real".

"And yes. It happened before. What was that malconvoker name who set a demon in a rampage?", he remembers when he helped banish a very nasty demon, "I remember I was punished for that accident even though I only helped banish it, but oh well...", he trails his gaze to the bathroom's door, "The worse part however was running low on Presdigitations to clean up my vests. Probably ruined an excellent robe last night due fighting this beast".

"And yes. I'll gladly take a look on those matters: a beast that powerful stalking the streets is a great danger. And If Grandmaster Aloyshus Cutter have the time to listen to the story, I'll bend for his schedule: he must be way more busier than me, so if he can speak tonight, tomorrow or next week I'll let him decide when. If you can Send to him and ask when I could meet with him I would appreciate".

"And that man?", he complains to Griswold, "Sure. His dedication to Hamalthan and the Law is well known as big as his stature but the man is an explosive rune in the pants: had the audacity to nick me a potential criminal. Do you think it's a good idea to see if he can help me look on that? He would probably give my case another look to see if I'm more than a potential criminal".

Looking at his empty tea cup he give up, "But given the situation, I guess I'll Send for him, summoning him here. Tommorow, since I just prepared my spells and Sending wasnt on my list for today and its already dusk. Unless you have one to spare, might sk him to meet me up in the Golden Mare", he says and smile, "But no more drinking".
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2018-12-20 at 03:48 PM.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

@Gregory: High Inquisitor Calchis shakes his head.

"I understand why you would reach that decision, Gregory. But I can assure you that The Castello has stood for ages and never had a breach of any kind. My judgement upon Sasha Surnam was passed swiftly and privately- the other inquisitors are aware of her fate, but not that you have in any way been undermined, which isn't the case.

I am also aware of your past with the Pelorian Order. High Father Jace is a very respected member of the ecclesiastical community in Halmathan and the oldest living Church Leader to date. Whatever differences you may have had in the past, cast them aside- I am certain he has as well. The Healing Church, as you know, is ran by Vicar Laurence. Cathedral Ward runs under his gracious auspices.

If you are to conduct an investigation there, try and get an audience with the Vicar or the Healing Church, since Cathedral Ward falls under his jurisdiction. Having a Runestone Mage, although not required for a man of your status, may give you some leverage.

Be safe, Sir Gregory.""

The orange sun descending over the tall Halmathan buildings casts a warm glow as you step out of Cuthbert's Cathedral and hear the distant bells, signaling the end of the day.

Night will shortly follow, as you mount Galavant and ride through the crowded streets, causing the carriages and pedestrians to steer away from you- after all, you are a an inquisitor and riding at such speed, it must mean business.

It's the Gates of Runestone that stop your speedy ride.

The immense Academy and its gates are shut. Although anyone is allowed to wander on campus- be it as a resident mage, potential resident or simply a visitor- they don't keep their doors open.

Instead, a pair of massive statues standing on either side of the gate- one of the fabled Chimera and the other of the noble Gryphon lower their bronze heads and their eyes flash with green light as they speak in unison.

"Who wanders to this House of Knowledge?"

@Daun:
    Eari shrugs at the mention of Ravenna's words.

"Who knows what the Sandaled Walker meant. Rumor has it that not even the Church Leaders know. She is just weird that way. Maybe if I see her around some time, I'll ask her to elaborate... if I can make out whatever she says in response, that is.""

It is said that those who dabble in the mystic arts eventually peek into The Other Side one too many times. Doing this, according to the old tales, is a dangerous affair. Even a learned man can be driven mad...

But so far, such a warning has proven to be a tale and nothing more. You master the powers of Nature and how have they affected you? You aren't mad. Neither is anyone you know of in Glenndale.

Madness is the fact that this guy Morrick would try to muscle you and Glenndale for some coin. "Compensation", he calls it. Funny how people like to twist and embellish their actions...

But can't hide the smell.

"I know you people keep the animals tame. Known it for years, but we were attacked by, well... wolves? I think they were. Or wild dogs, but they looked sick. One of my men swore they had horns, but it was too dark for me to stand still and paint a picture- running for your life has that downside, you know? You miss the little details.

Morrick looks around the patrons having dinner by the lakeside cafe and scoots closer to you, checking a black leather bag slung over his chair as he carefully looks around checking not once or twice, but thrice before letting you peek inside:

And then quickly closes the bag again and scoots his chair back.

"How's this for a beating heart?

Hemwick. My men said they found this close to that accursed place and although we have no idea what it is, we decided to gather our stuff at the park and head out there. Maybe someone lost it? That would be easy to tell, right? Get some coin for our honest efforts...

And that's when we were attacked by that thing. It seemed rather interested in the one holding it...me."

You may not know what that ghastly thing is. It's evident what it is, but not its purpose. You do know, however, of Hemwick Lane.

Halmathan is a very big place. The last natural preserve in the entire City. Although the druid community thrives in Glenndale, some areas are yet to be adequately chronicled, especially beyond the City's borders. It is said that there, men and women cling to the Old Ways, acknowledging no deity you would. Lady Silvarel herself is said to have attempted to reason with the people of such village, many years ago...

But as of late, they are said to be rather unreasonable, if aloof. Even druids such as yourself have been cautioned to stay away from that place, known as Hemwick Charnel Lane by those in the know. Getting to this small village isn't difficult- if you enjoy trekking out of the City. It is perhaps one of the oldest villages to remain when Halmathan began to grow in size. They don't bother you and vice versa. Still...

Is that thing and its alleged origin connected to the attack here? Who knows.

@Camus:
    Griswold sips his tea and listens to your words.

"Normally, an entire committee would be required to look at these matters. A committee that would take weeks. Why don't we chalk this up to curiosity in the name of arcane advancement? A wizard never stops learning, after all.

And you firmly believe that what you saw was real? You are a well respected Archmage, Camus. I have no reason to doubt your word, but... try and ease on the wine. A glass a day is good, not a bottle chased by seven drinks.""

Griswold tugs at his beard on the mention of the demon case.

"Ah yes, a Conjurer who bit more than he could chew. I was not present for that, but I heard you handled it rather well. I will send to Master Aloyshus regarding when he's available and then will let you know. He is a very busy wizard, enough to take his work home. as a result, he has no students that can claim to have been mentored by him directly, reason why his approach to other people may be a little... off, so a fair warning on that front."

On the matter of Gregory, Griswold looks at the illusion and circles around it.

"He doesn't look that big. Cuthbertines have something of a tame animosity towards those that pursue the Arcane Arts. They are the Judges of the City and are very quick to judge in that regard. Thankfully, their current Church Leader is quite open minded when it comes to the arcane- imagine if they allowed mage hating zealot on the chair? Madness!

He called you a potential criminal? What is wrong with this man? You were exonerated from those charges years ago, legally. You are no criminal. In fact, what better way to close such gap than casual partnership? I know you are not keen on the idea of associating yourself with...savages.

Why don't we give them a chance? Enlighten our minds and all that. As for The Grand Master Aloyshus? he will not meet at the Golden Mare, Camus, but i will let you know if something comes up and his schedule opens."

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

"You're right. I'll team up with him and see if we can find the source of this accident. As for the summoning to the Golden Mare, it would be for Inquisitor Gregory, not the Grandmaster of Transmutation! It would be like me summoning the king for a cold beer!", he jokes at Griswold's idea taht he would call such an important person to something as casula as a meeting in a bar (expensive as it may be).

"As for the SMC marvel: I'll take a good look into it and let you know if anything seems out of order. I'll be going to the Golden Mare now: Kaylin is sick and I want to check if she's better. Might as well give the bottle back: they seemed resentful of me taking it away. If Master Aloyshus answer you with a date, please let me know".

He call on Thing and walk out of his tower with Griswold, "What your thoughts on champagne?", he ask the wizard before pointing to Thing, "As for a name for Thing: Champagne". Once Griswold answer, he bid farewell and start flying his way to the Golden Mare.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

@Camus: Griswold walkswith you outside as the casts its last dim rays upon campus.

“The clergy in this City are as strong as the Royal Guard. I believe associating with one of such rank could shed an even more positive light on the City as a whole.

I do not know this man- I am unfamiliar with most of Halmathan’s priesthood, but he is a Cuthbertine- just go ask for him at the Cudgel’s Cathedral.

Good idea with the SMC- as noble as their intentions may seem... just be cautious about it. And yes! Your cousin Kaylin. We are still reviewing her application. Seems rather talented, but there is still much to evaluate...”

The feather is already on your hand while Thing clings tight to your back, anticipating a long flight ahead.

“Champagne? For your familiar... well, it’s a better name than his current one. Might even build character for him. Fly safe, Archmage Camus.”

It is said that pets can come to resent the name given to them by their masters. A typical dog has enough intellect to react to the name. Maybe given time, react accordingly to its connotation.

Thing is your familiar. This weasel is smarter than the average Halmathan... he definitely would know the meaning or lack there of the name you’ve christened him with.

But for now, time to fly to the Golden Mare. Kaylin should be up after last night and... hold it.

Standing outside the Runestone Gates, on his high horse and shiny armor like a poster child for a Grimm Fairy Tale, Inquisitor du Vay.

Since when do Cuthbertines come knocking here?

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Daun is morbidly curious about the eye that Morrick shows her, but then as he continues his story she fails to see his point.

"Euch, that thing is wild. But I don't think I follow... You went to Hemwick Lane, found this... Cursed looking eye thing. I mean, I don't know that it's cursed, it just sure as hell looks like it. Then some demon dog things attack you in Hemwick? What does this have to with Glenndale or us druids?"
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes I see. And dont worry: dont feel like you have to approve her here just because of me. Be fair and I'll understand, so that it's known she earned her position here".

Sure, he could ask a favor here and there, but he was hoping she was rejected sent back home. But on the other side he did respected her pursue of power since he did the same thing back his age.

"I'll let you know any discovery. Seeya", he make a light bow to Griswold and fly away.

As he makes his way, his thoughts end on Thing. He wanted to believe he wasnt a bad master, just that he was obsessed in giving him a perfect name. Reason he was bad at naming. Hopefully Thing understood him and wont try to kill him in his sleep.

Flying above the gates of Runestone, Camus watch the very person he was setting to see knocking at his door.
    "Greetings, Inquisitor du Vay! The winds must have called you here as I was on my to the Cuthbertine Church to look for you. Any news on last night incident?"

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

@Daun: Morrick shakes his head.

“My people stumbled across this not too far from the City. Your every day wild life scrounging...

They brought this to me and I did some reading on it. Seems it comes from Hemwick, but it was found closer to Halmathan.

I have never been to Hemwick, they say it’s dangerous, but my men and I can handle anything. Besides, disgusting as it is, it must be valuable for someone, right?

The attack was in Glenndale, your park. That thing came at us, but particularly me. If I had to guess, because of what I now hold.

That’s not to say I’m not blaming you people: I found this fair and square. Stole it from no one. They say you can find these at Hemwick, but none there attacked me and my men, since we never went to the damn place to begin with."
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-12-21 at 06:15 AM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Yes, there were many possibilities for the child. If Ilvan were lucky, he wouldn’t have to deal with her directly and could instead speak to a guardian or neighbor. And if there was nobody, there was nowhere safer than the Healing Church. Before he leaves, he makes sure that along with his usual items, he has the brooch and key.

As for the music box- it’s broken thanks to his carelessness, and the late hour means that finding an artisan capable of fixing it is out of the question. Work for another day, one in which he hasn’t been such a slugabed. He cleans it as best he can and brings it anyway, should she want it back. While he may have intentions to fix it, he was no thief.

Back out to retread the same streets as the night before, and rap at the child’s door, doffing his hat.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

Should I be incorrect in this assumption about artisans and their hours, and should someone well-known be open, Ilvan will make a detour to have a professional look at the music box.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Gregory is about to introduce his errand to the gate when Camus arrives. He nods at the elf. "I came seeking your counsel, Archmage Shatris," he says, glancing at the gate. "And your assistance, if you are amenable. I intend to investigate the matter of last night, as it happens. I was ambushed by the Beast of the Great Bridge on my way to the Cathedral Ward. I wanted to take a look at that last station, to see if what Bardak is trying to hide is of interest to the Church. I fear the two may be connected somehow."

He looks around, eyes searching for something. "If you are willing, perhaps you should summon that raven you had with you last night as well. I believe it healed my wounds? I did not realize familiars possessed such powerful magic."

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

@Ilven: Hopefully that child has been found by a relative.

Callum isn't home, but the note should leave him at ease. The brooch and key to Old Halmathan are well secured in your pockets. One for the girl... the other for you. But is it wise to venture to that part of the City? It's closed for a reason, still...

Although it is late and the sun is slowly setting over the enormous buildings, you do find an antique shop ran by an elderly gnome, who looks at the box with a monocular and handles it with much care.

"These are old, sir. Hand crafted. Not many left world wide, if I had to guess. If you leave it with me for a few days, stop by and I will see what I can do. I must warn you- these are rare pieces. They aren't cheap, so the decision is yours."

And whether you decide to leave the box with the tinkerer or not, you head to the little girl's house, already preparing your speech. And not an easy one it'll be...

That's when you find a bunch of folk lighting candles around that barred window as a couple of City guards stand vigil and cordon the area. One of them recognizes you- being who you are and your son being in his squad.

"Good evening, Sir Ilven! What brings you around these parts? You knew this family?""

The soldier looks at the women lighting the candles and many of which are weeping and shakes his head.

"Damn shame. Little girl gets abandoned by her folks. Runaways, so I'm told. Poor child must've been waiting god knows how long for her folks who never returned.

The neighbors never saw her leave the house and we checked it upside down. I pray she is found soon."

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Daun runs her hand through her hair, in thought. Eventually she says, "Okay, I understand. I'll be honest Morrick: I've never seen creatures like what you described here. At this point, it sounds like something vile follows that thing, and by extension, you. If you came here and were attacked," she shrugs, "perhaps you should consider discarding it. But your attack is new to Glenndale, so I would assume it's more linked to that thing than anything in these woods.

"Still, I want to check up on these creatures, and see if they're still causing mayhem. Where specifically were you when this attack happened? And your friend said you said something about a hag?"
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

"I see", the archmage says as he stay aflight so as to the inquisitor to have to look up at him, enlarged as he may be, "And yes. A beast running rampant is troublesome and I think its worthy to investigate it. And the Beast of the Great Bridge? is that how the newspapers are calling it?"

"As for investigating the SMC... I'll help you with what I can", he simply says and look at the distance, "Any news on who that holy symbol belonged to? Any missing cuthbertine? As for the raven...", he says and nod, "There are much secrets that the wizards prefer to keep to themselves, so the ignorance is very understandable. That raven wasnt my familiar, though", he says as Thing put its head out of his robes, "But I agree we should try to see if the raven would like to help as well. This is Thing, by the way".

"If you dont mind, let's go to Glenndale Park and I'll try to get a hold on her".

Spoiler: A Stroll in the Park
    Show
    If Gregory is okay, he'll lead him to Glendale Park and start looking for Daun.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

@Daun: Morrick finishes his meal and looks at you while you try and guess what attacked him and his men.

"That's an old tale, lady. This thing is weird, yes. Gives me the creeps? Absolutely...

Is it valuable? You bet your ass it is. I plan to get rid of it and if I get some coin in the exchange, I'll be a lot happier for it. And make no mistake, miss:

It wasn't 'my attack'. We didn't provoke anyone. Like I said, we were jumped by what I think were wild dogs, wolves maybe. The one who lead that pack seemed like a witch, you know... them nature witches. No offense... she looked like a druid, at least to me from what little I could tell. Again, running away for your life does not give you time to stop and take a damn picture.

If you want this thing, it's yours. I'll let it go for, uh... two hundred? Sounds like a fair price, yes? If you aren't interested, then I have wasted my time with Glenndale Druids."

Morrick places a few silver coins on the table and tips his cap.

"Have a good night, miss.""

@Camus: He may be big and tall...

But you can always fly. Fly all day. No other mage in the world can do what you do and do it so well. Magic is, ultimately, the answer and most logical solution to everything, after all.

As for the Beast of the Great Bridge? If that's the name the Halmathan Gazette has given the beast you fought, you wouldn't know:

You woke up not too long ago. The paper was not delivered to you and given the time of day, Griswold would definitely have heard of this attack and yet... he still looked suspicious about your tale. He had heard nothing about this encounter at all prior to you telling him about it.

This is a big City, after all. They say nobody is truly omniscient... unless you're a wizard, that is.

The streets are cold and fog is slowly drifting in as you fly above the Cuthbertine, who rides his noble steed. The few carriages speed past you and many people are already locking their homes for the night.

Maybe it's the drinks prior, but something is not entirely right... what it is? Who can say, but it just feels... off.

Glenndale Park has its gates open. The few patrons are already leaving for their homes or, if they are residents, walking further into the gigantioc natural preserve.

Where to find Daun? This place is huge- she could be anywhere and in animal form in a place where animals are free to roam.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Daun considers for a moment.

"That thing is bad news. I'd be doing you a favor taking it off your hands for free. But... I guess you did risk something for it. I'll give you seventy-five gold for it. Let's be real: no one is going to pay two hundred for that thing, and I at least have some investment in making sure it doesn't cause more trouble. That's way more than any other buyer is going to say."

She pulls up a menu in apparent flippancy. Daun's parents were clever business people, they taught her how to haggle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy! Because even high level pc's are counting every copper. (1d20+20)[36]
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

@Daun: Morrick looks at the setting sun as many patrons begin to leave and the air grows cold.

“... seventy five. Deal. Perhaps me coming here wasn’t too bad an idea after all! Here- take my bag. It’s no fancy ‘bag of holding ‘, but I reckon you wouldn’t want people giving you an odd stare if you just carry it around...”

The bag doesn’t hold anything else, except that thibg. It jostles around in its container. Who knows what it’s for, but if it came from Hemwick...

Your mother would be proud of your shrewd business savvy. She’d be a lot prouder if you married to a high ranking family, but let’s not go overboard just yet.

And with Morrick gone and your brand new acquisition...

Where to?

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Gregory shrugs. "I do not know if the Halmathan Gazette is even aware that the battle occurred. The moniker seems to fit, though."

The inquisitor raises an eyebrow when Camus admits the raven is not his familiar. Gregory gives a shallow nod in Thing's direction. "Glenndale Park it is."

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Once at Glendale, Camus looking around for any druid.

"Good evening, do you happen to you know where we can find Miss Daun? She'd an active member of the druid community and a friend".

Truth be told: he didnt thought it through. Hopefully some native may help them find wherever she usually stays by.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

@Camus: There are druids around the entrance to Glenndale. Not that many- given the time, most must’ve gone deeper into the woods or done their thing and turned into animals already.

One of them is already closing a small kiosk and having a wolf help him pull it away when he listens to your question.

“I know who lady Daun is, sir. But I haven’t seen her today. She’s probably around Glenndale, though. Chances are she’s already seen you- she is a very powerful druid here and it’s hard to not miss T’nauri.

If I see her in my way home, I’ll let her know you’re looking for her. You could walk around Glenndale-

Maybe you’ll get lucky and find her.”

And having said that, the deuid answers no more questions and leaves both of you.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

"I appreciate your efforts. Is there any place you believe we could find her? Some favored spot maybe?", he says and look to the inquisitor, "For once I forgot to prepare a Sending spell, so unless you have one we'll have a hard time finding her: the park is too huge for that. So the trip here was for nothing I guess".

He look around the park, "We may take a walk and discuss what we know already of the attack and we should do investigate those matters as if they were two different investigations: two unusual events happening in the same night doesnt imply they're connected. What you found so far?"

If the inquisitor is okay with, he'll wander around Gleendale and see if he can find her whenever he remembers they met her on the ocasion of the strolls with Amarille. Sure, it probably is like looking for a mimic in a dungeon, but who knows if luck would grace them?

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Gregory shakes his head. "I did not request that particular spell. I was in an uncommon haste when I prayed today... for some reason, I slept until the late afternoon. I do not know why. If I had had the time to think on it more, I could have not gone for my usual repertoire. Ah well." He shrugs.

The inquisitor sighs softly. "So the raven is a druid? I see. I must offer her my thanks and my apologies when we find her. I seem to have short-changed her when I gave my report to the High Inquisitor."

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

"I guess fighting for your life against a massive beast do take its toll on someone's body", he comments on the inquisitor waking late, "Same can be said for heavy drinking I guess".

"Maybe we could go and chek on the bridge, see if there is any lead there that can be used. Or we can meet up again tomorrow and I'll make sure to prepare some divinations to help figure out where that beast came from. No news on the lost holy symbol? We could use it when divining to try to figure out who it belonged to, as he or she might help explain what happened".

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

@Camus: The young druid looks at the immense Park and shrugs.

"Honestly, sir, she could be anwyhere. Glenndale is home to everyone in the druid community and although a few of us have groves that we call home, it isn't usually a permanent one. And those are deeper in, away from the paved roads.

But who knows: chances are she's spotted you already. Have a good night.""

Well, bummer.

Glenndale Park is a park in name only. Yes, the City has placed benches and nice little winding paved roads for you common folk to take a stroll, but at some point, the roads end and it's just a gigantic green sprawl of woodland, filled with all manner of beasts, carefully tamed by the druids... one would hope.

You could fly around Glenndale's trees and shout like a banshee all night for her and chances are you'll scare the people here and enact retaliation and STILL not find her.

As for Gregory? Big knight of the Cudgel? For all his power, he didn't pray for that one useful spell. Awesome. What's he going to do: ride his horse and trample the entire forest? Given the guy's current size, he might consider that, but it would end poorly if he went that way.

If only Daun just happened to "pop up" out of the blue...hehe. Wishful thinking. She's not a wizard.

Meeting the druid will have to wait for another day. You can review your grimoire and get ahold of her come sunrise tomorrow. Right now, you have an elf to keep an eye on, as you inform Gregory of your plans to go check The Golden Mare. Kaylin should be up and ready to keep being an insufferable bitch. Happy times ahead.

And whether mighty Sir Gregory decides to gallop at full speed through the fog filled streets mostly deserted towards the Royal District, you fly...and fly as fast as the cold winds can take you while Thing hates you just a bit more-

Weasels don't fly. Even if they are metaphysical extensions of your arcane soul.

And whether the Inquisitor follows by horse or not, it takes you about half an hour to reach the Golden Mare, with the sound of music and lights and drinking inside as you descend and approach the front desk where the same half elf maiden greets you with a wide smile and bows to you.

"Archmage Camus! welcome. You are looking for Lady Quivaris? Hold on...""

The woman opens a drawer and checks a few papers, keeping that smile on her face as she looks back at you.

"Lady Quivaris checked out earlier today, around noon. She said she was feeling better, paid for her stay and ordered a carriage. She did not say where she was headed, but she took all her belongings...

Is everything okay?"

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Once leaving the park and heading for the Mare, Archmage Camus scratch his chin at the mention she was gone.
    "Weird. Well, I'll get a hold on her another time then, have a good night", he thanks her and head out for some thinking.

Maybe she tryied to contact him earlier, but he was asleep? He look to Thing and ask it that.
    But if it was noon when she departed... Then griswold would most likely know if she was accepted and found a place for her in Runestone. That is another Sending for future Camus.

Might as well call it a lost day and drink... But better no.
    Unless Inquisitor du Vay have anything that require his presence, Camus look at him.

"Well, seems the day is gone by and most of it was lost due heavy sleeping. Where can I meet with you tomorrow for us to divine and start the investigation? I'll make sure to prepare a couple Sendings as well as a few divinations that could be useful".

And with that he fly back to his tower.

Spoiler: Divinations
    Show
    Since there was a limit on how great the spellbook would be, he doesnt have too much Divinations to help with, so Gregory might want to prepare a few himself.

These are the ones Camus can cast: Greater Scrying and Scry Location. He might get acess to other spells via Limited Wish, but if there is one in the cleric spell list that could work I would rather save it for more important things.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kalir

Night of the Crow
    He had hoped Sir Ilven would come along, if for nothing else to deal with his grievous wounds. That was blood spilt for the city so the healing was more than appropriate. Reaching the barracks, Kalir accepts the healing, graciously thanks the person and makes a mental note of their name.

Between the sprinting flight, which had no word in Common but had several in Tuilvilanuue, and the fights he is exhausted. His discipline leads him to one more task for the night. He cleans Thresher, the axe he now possessed, and his armor. Can't leave the blood for drying long term. He leaves his royal uniform for cleaning by the servants. His bed was a welcome finish to the night.

Day Two
    He can't believe he slept through most of the day. He wears a ring that normally reduces his need for sleep to a couple of hours. Guess he really pushed himself flying last night. Regardless of the King's words about taking the day off Kalir needed to speak with him about the night's events. The Crow active and the City losing one of its Hunters was surely of note to His Majesty. Kalir puts on another royal uniform and makes his way out to the practice yard. First, let's see what this weapon is about.

Kalir takes a closer expert eyed look at the Hunter's Axe with the failing light that is still enough for his raptoran eyes. He takes a few practice swings with it then runs through a couple of weapon forms he knows for axes.

Sgt Maxil approaches. Kalir returns the salute although not as crisply. Military formality wasn't his thing but in front of the others in the training yard he had to deal with it.

"Security detail was fine. His Majesty dismissed me once the night was over." What of Daun and the Archmage? He could have used their help last night but it was good that they didn't have to get involved. He had a lot more to follow up with from last night and it was already dusk. The coach driver, the bodies at the tomb, and Sir Ilven all needed and deserved his attention. "There was trouble around the city later on that was dealt with. I'm headed to the Palace to report, just wanted to loosen up first."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Daun slides over the coins, then takes a peek in the bag at her new purchase. She quickly closes it in revulsion, already questioning why she bought it.

"So long Morrick. And hey... If you're in trouble again, let me know. If I'm they're, I'll help."

She watches him go, getting a meal to go for herself, suddenly realizing she was famished from not eating all day today. She walks back to her private Grove with T'nauri, quiet and deep in thought.

When she returns to her small pond, she takes the eye thing out of its bag and studies it curiously. She shrugs. "Well, might as well see what we can learn about this thing."

Quietly intoning a spell to understand the creature it came from, she studies the pond in front of her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Scrying on the creature that the eye came from...

I believe since I have one of its body parts, it gets a -10 on its will save (DC 21)
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Gregory shakes his head. "I suppose the investigation can wait until the morrow. I had hoped to get it done, but given how little time there is left of the day already..." He trails off, looking up at the sky.

"If you can get in contact with the druid -- Lady Daun, was it? -- then we might as well meet up at the St. Abaidas Bridge again. The chore of casting the spell will have to default to you, I'm afraid. I am not familiar enough with the Lady to get in contact with her, and I would not know when you will have contacted her. If we meet up at the Great Bridge, we can see if there are any signs that we missed yesterday and continue on to the Cathedral Ward from there."

He gives Camus a nod in farewell, then leaves.

Gregory then decides to visit St. Noria, to see if yesterday's prisoner has arrived safely and is securely incarcerated. Soon he leaves Halmathan, heading to the great prison.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

@Camus: Well, this is a bust of a day.

Not only have you accomplished nothing, but Kaylin left the mare. Where the hell could she have gone off to? Not even a note. Perhaps her coin purse ran thin? That place is expensive and there are many other inns at a much more affordable price.

At any rate, you can find her the following day- it should be very easy.

And since the inquisitor has no plans to do any research that interests you and Daun is a no show, back to Runestone it is.

That damn fog over the City, just like the night prior... gives you the chills, especially when flying at top speed, but nothing really catches your attention once you land at your quarters on campus, open the door and consider having a drink... but no.

Best have a lucid mind for the days to come. After sleeping all day, who knows if you'll be able to get some rest. At any rate, Thing is more than happy to be back on the ground and curls up in bed.

They say reading in bed is the best way to induce sleep, after all...

@Kalir: The ring you bought specifically renders the need for sleep...

Then why did you sleep all day today? Was it the flying across Halmathan? That fight with The Crow and later a near death experience versus Gascoigne? As a Royal Guard, you are trained to fight overwhelming odds... but none that knock you out an entire day afterwards.

Thankfully, the Healing Church and its kind Ministers are more than happy to assist a member of such a respected order as you and the Healing Ministration takes place, leaving your wounds gone and your body feeling a lot better.

The next day, and with Thresher clean from all the blood, you don a less tight uniform and head to the training grounds, where the rest of the Guards are practicing their last exercises before turning in and set up a few wooden dummies around you as you grip the axe taken from the dead Hunter...

It's heavy and crude looking. A weapon used a long time ago. It could use some sharpening, but given what it did to Ilven, and those bodies, does it really?

As a hand axe, it lives up to its name: A bit unwieldy for those with a feeble grip, but otherwise, reasonable reach and a decent handle as you chop one of the dummies on the shoulder and wrestle the weapon back.

It's a small button, very well concealed, that causes a *click* sound and the haft extends at least twice your size and transforms the blade itself into a menacing form as you can barely even raise it off the ground.

It's a halberd now, but not one made for a man your size. The other Guards stop their training and point towards you while the dummies surround you and with a loud grunt, you manage to spin the axe around in a most unwieldy and dangerous fashion, chopping three dummy heads and splintering four others in the process as they knock back to the ground.

The strength alone required to wield this would require a titan! Your back and shoulders are ready to break apart as you fall on your back and drop the massive halberd, pushing the switch to revert it back to its size.

Who built this thing? And who would wield it? The man you saw coughing blood and peppered with arrows by Ilven was big, but no bigger than you. Sure, he turned into a massive beast shortly afterwards, but he chased the Old Helguard around Oedon's Tomb with this? You could barely stand and make a single swing!

The other guards stand clear away- your aim nearly lopped a few real heads with such swing. The weapons used by the Royal Guard are all of fine make- most of them enchanted at Runestone, like Thresher. But this is a completely different type of blade...

Let us hope there are no more like these lying around.

And after your practice, you are approached by Maxil, who raises an eyebrow at your report of last night's evening.

"Trouble? Odd, we got no report of trouble last night. His majesty did arrive here safe and sound. If there was any trouble afoot, either us or the City guard would have been privy to it...""

The aasimar looks at you for few seconds before walking away, but turning to look at you one last time, saying nothing.

As for the Royal Palace, they allow you to the door, but the King, according to the advisor from the night prior, laments to inform you that his Majesty is currently indisposed.

If an audience is required directly with him, it may have to be some other day.

@Daun: Talk about buyer's remorse.

Why would you hand over such small fortune for this thing? At any rate, the transaction is done and although you may see Morrick again in the future, the man simply waves back absentmindedly and hurries out of the cafe, not certain if he made a great deal or not, but with coin in his pockets nonetheless.

It's a seasonal salad packaged in leaves that you carry with much care as you and T'nauri make it back to your grove and your dino, huge as he may be, takes a step back as you open the black bag and place that sinister eye thing next to your sacred pool.

What a morbid thing. Who would buy it? Besides you, of course? Why did it end up in that man's hands? Whose is it?

Let's find out.

The hour it takes as you kneel at the foot of your pool and the fog begins to seep in through the trees while the moon, partially covered by black clouds, sheds some silver light upon your grove as you whisper the Old Words and hold the canister above the pool, attempting to find out, by virtue of Ehlonna and everything sacred, who is missing an eye...

It is said that one must be careful when peeking into the abyss.

The air grows increasingly cold around you and T'nauri, gigantic as he may be, seems uneasy as he backs away from the pool and you. The shadows cast by the trees undulate under the silvery light of a waning moon, partially covered by clouds and none can be heard for miles around.

It's so cold, you can feel your breath escaping in gouts of frost.

Your eyes open and you finish the lengthy incantation as the waters of your pool form ripples above the item you hold in your hands as the eye inside, slowly floating about stop... and turns to look at you.

As a cold and unknown presence creeps behind you like a shadow, you can feel cold long fingers caressing your face...

Reaching for your eyes.

Spoiler: The Abyss peeks back
    Show

Roll a Will save

@Gregory: It's getting dark already. Not good if you plan to run a full investigation.

So the raven was Miss Daun? The Noble Activist. She had some choice questions for Lord ashford and Skylarios the night prior. Who knows if partnering with a Glenndale Druid would be good. They are an odd group, druids.

Hard to question people as an inquisitor when your partner looks like a ten foot tall grizzly bear, about to maul them to shreds. Tends to work against you. Having said that...

Were it not for Daun, you would not be alive. And that is a cold hard fact.

Questioning will have to wait. You dismiss the wizard and ride Galavant. But not towards Cathedral Ward or your own House of the Cudgel, no.

You are headed outside the City gates... to St. Noria's Castello.

The gates of the City open for you, as always- you are Inquisitor du Vay- the watchmen dare not even question why you ride at night outside. Cuthbertine business, best not inquire and get in trouble.

The air outside is cold, just like in the City, but out here, in the dark, with scant moonlight to guide Galavant through the lonely cracked road, you spur your steed to pick up the pace as the Clock Tower of St. Noria sheds a beacon of light and you stop at the massive portcullis, which is raised, on account of the hour.

However, it's a few watchmen who spot you from the towers and recognize you, ordering the bridge to be lowered for you and your steed. You have been here enough times for them to know your face. Never at this hour, though.

And as the smell of the ocean wafts through your nose, you ride Galavant into the Castello's courtyard. Not many guards out here tonight, but upon close inspection and a neigh from your steed, you can see why:

Dogs. As big as the horse you ride on. Four of them patrol the courtyard as a few watchmen with lanterns attached to their pole arms wave to you.

"No sudden moves, Inquisitor! Calling the Warden now...""

One of the watchmen runs inside and the hounds stay a prudent distance from you and your steed, snarling and prowling around you, not unlike a wounded deer about to become this night's feast.

Spoiler: The Check
    Show
    Knowledge Arcana (Trained) to ID them

It takes about five minutes before the main doors to St. Noria open and the hounds walk to a lone figure and sit on their haunches, still snarling at you, but not getting any closer to you, as the man, as tall as you without your magical enhancements, steps out with a nicely polished black cane:

That's him... Warden Clavius Aemilius.

Something's must be made clear:

Santa Noria was originally built to be a prison. The imposing castle overlooks the ocean and unless you are very talented or very stupid, attempt to escape this place is pretty much impossible. It is true that in the last ten years, part of the Castello has been turned into a House of Hospice. In that regard, some people you care about dearly are given as much care as possible. Not unlike a mother to a child.

But that's one area of the Castello, recently accommodated for that. Warden Clavius is the legitimate castellan of this place, by lineage. Not many people know about him- not many break the law in such a way to warrant coming here and be locked up. It is perhaps because of it, that there is little known about the Warden. What is known is that he never ventures to the City. Has no interest in what happens there. But when a felon is convicted and sent here?

It is said to fill him with a most dire elation.

The hounds stop snarling as the Warden walks up a few feet and gives you a courteous bow.

"The almighty Inquisitor du Vay! A little late to come see the Hospice Ward, wouldn't you agree? To what do I owe such gallant and important figure such as yourself in my humble abode?''

The Warden chuckles and looks at his enormous hounds.

"Oh! They won't bite, Inquisitor- they have already been fed...hehehhhehheee!"

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

At the shop:

Ilvan hands the box over, glad there was a chance at repair. “I’d appreciate anything you can do. It has great sentimental value. ” Not his sentiment but... in his experience, artisans worked faster if they sensed a forthcoming tip.

Some time later, at the vigil:

Ah yes, this Guard was familiar... but no name springs to mind to go with the face. Pity. “Unfortunately, I don’t come bearing good news. The mother, Viola, she was blonde? And the father, he’s...” he searches for a way to describe Glascoigne that wouldn’t make Ilvan sound like a madman himself. Not an easy task. “tall? Very tall. Maybe blind?”

“The girl- remind me of her name again- does she have any relatives she could have fled to? I have something of her mother’s.”

“If she’s gone looking for them, she won’t find them. Not alive, anyway. You’ve probably heard about the mess in Oedon’s Tomb. They were among the dead.”
    Surely, Kalir would have reported this first thing. But without knowing exactly what had been reported, probably best to leave the beasts and Crows out of it.
    Last edited by aReallyGreatAxe; 2018-12-23 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Clarity

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

@Daun: That feeling...

Something's in your grove. Something unknown that has kept even mighty T'nauri at bay as he takes yet another step back and hides his massive head amidst the tall grass and roots, so as to avoid seeing what has been beckoned.

Your Divination worked... but not in the way you had intended. Whatever this eye is, it has seen you, rather than the other way around as those cold fingers caress your face from behind and feel your eyes as your mind, trained for years against all manner of threats, cal on the latenmt powers of Nature and a green aura of mystic fire surrounds you as the hands that hold you try and claw deeper into your face before a ghastly screech is heard behind you- a mix of a woman and a beast combined and then...

It's gone.

Whatever it was, it came straight for you, but you never got to see the attacker. You do have some mild lacerations across your face. These bear tiny frost shards. Had these gotten closer to your eyes, you'd be blind, or worse.

The grove is quiet. A tad less cold.

That presence is gone...if it ever was really here in the first place. The eye is still with you, but no longer moving of its own accord. Whatever you attempted to Divine, caught on to it and in a way, was... summoned here? Impossible. You did not cast that spell.

@Ilven: The gnome tinkerer takes the box with much care and places it on is work table.

"An antique like this? It should have! Do not worry, sir- I will let you know when it's ready. Stop by in a few days and I should have it ready. These pieces are old and one must work like a surgeon on it to make it all work just fine. It's in good hands."

Once at the vigil, with the old matrons lighting candles, you approach the City Guard, who looks at the house.

"Viola, yes! That's the name we were given. She's the mother? As for the father, what little we know is that he was a soldier of some sort. Maybe affiliated to an organization? Not much information on him, sadly. This is not officiual, but you were a member of the military, so if you;d like to come in and take a look...""

Another guard allows both to step in as the man hands you gloves.

"Try not to touch anything. The house has been turned upside down, but we found very little- clothes were in their place- nobody packed or they left in a hurry. The food was lukewarm- the mother- Viola- she must've made some for her child before leaving. And then we found this portrait:

The folks here say he was not very sociable, but when seen with his family, he was very a completely different person. They say he was a true family man... which makes no sense as to why he'd abandon his little girl.

According to the neighbors, the girl's name is Henriett. Maybe no more than eight, according to the neighbors. We have no idea on who were their relatives. We are working on that right now. This case was just dropped on us this morning.""

How do you explain to anyone what you saw and fought the night prior? But you do and it goes exactly as it should go, as the guard scratches his head.

"Oedon's Tomb? Sir Ilven... we have not received any reports from the old graveyard. Are you sure about that? I'll let Callum know about this and check the place immediately. And you are positive that man in the picture was among the dead. This is the part of my job I hate. We'll look into that, Sir Selma. Don't you worry.

We'll find that girl and get her to safety.""