New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1147 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I think Durkon has been through enough by now that "A baby chewed his way out of my non-existent womb" registers as a "Mondays, amiright?" kind of deal.

I'm not sure I understand you? The Deva doesn't seem particularly bothered by it so why take offense?
    Haha, yeah.

I guess. But then this Deva's got to be not lawful in some way, right? I mean, they were on a drunk weekend to limbo. How does that happen when you're lawful? Even if you obey whatever drunk plane shifting laws the outsiders have then getting drunk and then heading straight to limbo, a place of chaos, is a strange occurrence for a being of law. Or is alignment not altered if stuff you did while drunk would change your alignment if you did it sober?

Anyway, how did the Deva even get drunk? Aren't angels, like, immune to disease and have pretty good fortitude saves?

EDIT: On an unrelated note, this means Celia has been around for quite some time and Roy has been dating a centuries-old sylph. That, or there are an utterly enormous number of sylphs/other air elementals that marry and have kids because their memories keep getting wiped. Do they even die of old age!?
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2018-11-26 at 06:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    Haha, yeah.

I guess. But then this Deva's got to be not lawful in some way, right? I mean, they were on a drunk weekend to limbo. How does that happen when you're lawful?
    As evidenced by the entire Lawful race of dwarves, who never touch the stuff.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The thoughts that went through my head during this strip:

Obviously the cleric in question is Hilgya. The chances of it being somebody else are 1 in a million.
    Wait, exactly 1 in a million? But that means...
    Mwahahahaha!!!!
    We don't need no steeeenkin' signatures!

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    It'll be a mix of all of the letters. For example, you might call it a vealaddas or alsedavad.
    Lazy money is on "Deva Salad".

5. - Top - End - #65

NecromancerGuy

I guess they were able to put together all the dust into which Durkula’s body was disintegrated after Belkar destroyed it, for Hilgya’s “Resurrection” to work.

I can imagine the rest of the order carefully sweeping up the dust to make sure they don’t miss any... :)P
    JoseB

o/` Ooooh, sweet mystery of liiiiiIIIIIiiife... o/`

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    As evidenced by the entire Lawful race of dwarves, who never touch the stuff.
    Yes, and I am sure every one of those lawful dwarves would be on weekends to Limbo all the time if they did touch it. The point of the post was not that I was confused a lawful creature got drunk, it was that they went to a plane of chaos while being so.
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

*wheezes at the last two panels*

I'm betting that Hilgya was planning to rez Durkon after she killed him. Er... 5 quatloos?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Firbolg in the Playground

Huh, well, that answers my confusion about why the IFCC didn't know about the snarl.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JoseB View Post
    I guess they were able to put together all the dust
    Any of the dust. Resurrection only requires a speck.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

I guess they were able to put together all the dust into which Durkula’s body was disintegrated after Belkar destroyed it, for Hilgya’s “Resurrection” to work.

I can imagine the rest of the order carefully sweeping up the dust to make sure they don’t miss any... :)P
    Resurrection works with just a pinch. Even if there existed a cubic mile of dead durkula dust they wouldn't need all of it to Rez durkon :p
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2018-11-26 at 06:52 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

First, it’s definitely interesting that they have to wipe the Outsider’s minds. Not that I think it’ll come up again, but it’s still a cool tidbit. Also, I’m sad but not surprised to see Minrah go. Finally, I’m definitely eagerly awaiting seeing what happens with Durkon once he’s brought back.

Peelee’s Lotsey

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Yes, and I am sure every one of those lawful dwarves would be on weekends to Limbo all the time if they did touch it. The point of the post was not that I was confused a lawful creature got drunk, it was that they went to a plane of chaos while being so.
    Fair point, though "while drunk" seems like the most likely time a lawful creature would go to a plane of chaos, IMO.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-11-26 at 06:57 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    Shout out to the Slaadi!

Edit: come to think of it, is the spawn of a Slaad and a Deva just 100% pure Slaad, or some kind of Celestial Slaad? Could it have been 100% Deva or 100% Slaad but not 50% of each?
    I think you miss the point of exemplars of elemental chaos if you expect them to be predictable.

Resurrection works with just a drop of blood, so a pinch of dust is all that would be needed. More would be desirable (for psychological reasons, at least), but not needed.

Obviously, Limbo is the planar equivalent of Las Vegas. So what happens in Limbo...

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    Shout out to the Slaadi!

Edit: come to think of it, is the spawn of a Slaad and a Deva just 100% pure Slaad, or some kind of Celestial Slaad? Could it have been 100% Deva or 100% Slaad but not 50% of each?
    I'm not even sure I can process the words "Celestial Slaad".

In any event, the host body isn't a genetic contributor; it's just a nursery for the egg and food for the young slaad.

Is... Durkon not grossed out at all by the concept of a Slaad baby chewing its way out, whether or not the pregnant Deva could survive the birth? Or at all disgusted by how evil an act like that could look to a lawful stupid like him?
    Durkon didn't see the cutaway panel; he just heard the conversation. There are details that the deva is not sharing with Durkon, even if the Giant is sharing them with us.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    *wheezes at the last two panels*

I'm betting that Hilgya was planning to rez Durkon after she killed him. Er... 5 quatloos?
    Quatloo?

(I've heard it a couple of times, but I have no idea what it means. Is it a currency?)
    The Greatest Threads Of GiantITP (in my opinion):
    A story of the exact wrong way to run a campaign.
    The best thread derailment of all time.
    The "canonical" list of Mostly Useless Magic Items.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

My Nexus character

16. - Top - End - #76

Yeah, from a sci-fi show about aliens who gamble. Actually, it's probably more famous because of the internet by now.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Hey, hey, hey now, that's original Star Trek, not just "a sci-fi show"

18. - Top - End - #78
    Colossus in the Playground

I see no indication that the deva is Lawful.

(If you're thinking "Roy's was," deva are Any Good. If you're thinking Durkon should be at the Lawful Good afterlife...well, we've seen it, and it wasn't called Valhalla.)

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

Ugh.
    A deva with a slaad?
    Just... how does that work, exactly?
    Also, are angels genderless in this cosmology?
    Or is that a male deva?
    Sooooo many questions.
    When in doubt, set it on fire, right?

20. - Top - End - #80

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Any of the dust. Resurrection only requires a speck.
    The tricky part is making sure it's his dust, and not dust from any of the other vampires killed in the battle.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I see no indication that the deva is Lawful.

(If you're thinking "Roy's was," deva are Any Good. If you're thinking Durkon should be at the Lawful Good afterlife...well, we've seen it, and it wasn't called Valhalla.)
    That's a good point. On the comic with the big diagram of the Outer Planes, the plane that most people concluded is Valhalla ("Fight the good fight") is next to Limbo.

22. - Top - End - #82

Well, that is the placement in D&D's Great Wheel cosmology.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Yeah, from a sci-fi show about aliens who gamble. Actually, it's probably more famous because of the internet by now.
    Oh so that's where it's from? TIL...

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraithfighter View Post
    ........anyone else now suddently 100% certain that Durkon's resurrection is going to have some weird complications? Like, it's going to be a week or two later, or the entire council was killed or Hilgya is rez'ing him away from the OOTS or something like that?

Might just be my inner Elan talking, but having not seen any of the living since Durkon was staked... well, who knows what's happened down there...
    Oh, I'm almost certain you're right except that he'll:
    Spoiler
    Show
    get rezzed back at the Godsmoot by the Halfling priest of Loki who is serving there.

The only way it doesn't go sideways is if the plot demands it, which is a pretty viable reason in this universe.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Flemkopf View Post
    I'm curious what it is that breaks the minds of all the Outsiders. That, coupled with what happens to Odin, makes you really wonder about the stability of pretty much everyone who is immortal in the OOTSverse.
    If I had to guess, it’s the knowledge that the gods are not infallible and they are locked in an eternal cycle.

That makes me wonder, though, if they have to wipe the memories of ALL Outsiders. Would that include the fiendish races?
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2018-11-26 at 07:55 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    If I had to guess, it’s knowledge that the gods are not infallible.
    No, I don't think that's it, since not all the outsiders directly serve gods(example: the IFCC)...

Maybe it's not because they don't have as strong mental fortitude as gods do. I'd imagine going through billions of worlds would do quite a number on their heads...

Extended sig here.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

This is the comic that gets the live action movie an R-rating, obviously. Glad to see Durkon going back though.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    The offspring of a Slaad is always a normal Slaad, no matter what host they implant their eggs into. Because, genetically speaking, they're a single-parent species that just uses another being as a host.
    And yet, they meet the requirements to have the half-celestial template applied. By the rules, it is perfectly possible to have a Slaad with the half-celestial template.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    I'm not even sure I can process the words "Celestial Slaad".

In any event, the host body isn't a genetic contributor; it's just a nursery for the egg and food for the young slaad.
    What is this genetics of which you speak and how does it work in D&D land where a dragon and an ooze can make a lovely little baby half-dragon ooze.
    Last edited by Doug Lampert; 2018-11-26 at 07:58 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    First, it’s definitely interesting that they have to wipe the Outsider’s minds. Not that I think it’ll come up again, but it’s still a cool tidbit. Also, I’m sad but not surprised to see Minrah go. Finally, I’m definitely eagerly awaiting seeing what happens with Durkon once he’s brought back.
    Well, there's one group of powerful Outsiders with a stake in this conflict: that consortium of Lawful/Chaotic/Neutral Evil dudes. zimmerwald1915 mentioned them. They now know about the Snarl and might be wondering what the gods do to ageless, immortal creatures who learn about it.

I wonder how often knowledge of the Snarl gets out. It's been over 1000 years into this world's tenure and top-level Outsiders are just learning about it. Wouldn't the gods also have to do things like destroy records of the Snarl kept by Outsiders? It can't be so simple as to just cast Forget Snarl and call it a day.
    Even the wind will know agony.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    Well, another strip or two I guess until we find out just how much time has passed on the material plane while Thor, Durkon and Minrah have been flying around the multiverse.

It's entirely possible, I think, that we might never see directly what happened to the ex-Exarch and his sidekicks, since Lurkon was the big major arc villain for this book. It was pretty much a given that the Order were making a beeline for the council of elders as soon as they recuperated somewhat from the last battle. From a narrative standpoint, the information that Thor has been imparting is of much more relevance to the overarching storyline of the strip than cleaning up a few rogue vampires, as much as we all might feel cheated out of another badass battle sequence.
    Or, added story book?