New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: (IC) New Orleans by Night CtL

“Can I suggest that we all put down our...weapons, or whatever they may be so this is not like a scene from a movie? We can talk about this rationally. I am Sebastian...and we are here to learn things. Learning things has a cost and in this case the price set by Arthur Pengrove is his death. He is...unhappy with this world. As for you...well, I have no idea who you are, but I also don’t really believe in coincidences so...I think you’re supposed to be here. For whatever reason.”

Sebastian is trying his best to defuse the situation, especially since he hated the idea of any ensuing violence. What was worse, he would lose the information they were seeking.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Introductions

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul

-John Muir

Tessa stood inside the inner sanctum of her rooftop garden, wrapped in the magical blanket of the hedge and protected from reality like a spring blossom that had not yet bloomed. She had found the abandoned two story Victorian shortly after she escaped her durance and had poured all her time, all of her energy, and all the money she could find into renovating the thing.

It had been years after Katrina, but still somehow the place had been left abandoned, filled with swamp water, and mud and the feces of a hundred different scavengers. But when Tessa had begun committing herself to rebuilding the place, the neighbors had all come out and helped, despite not knowing her or barely having enough money or resources to support themselves. She had been so touched by what her neighbors had done for her, and was so proud of what they had built when the back breaking effort was all done.

Now the apartment was crowned with a beautiful rooftop garden, perfect except for the leafy bower at the very corner of the roof. It would be a perfect place to stand, if not for being at the ledge, a seemingly precarious place where one could find themselves falling two stories if the wind blew the wrong way.

But now Tessa stood in the back of her Hollow, her secret space in the Hedge, accessed only by those brave enough to walk straight through the vine covered bower and over the ledge. Inside her Hollow, Tessa stood under the sapling that was her son, puzzled. Of late, Angel (for that was the name of the tree of course) had begun to bow, his branches drooping, his bark hardening and cracking. A certain knot in the tree's bark had seem to take the expression of a weeping little boy, and Tessa did not know what to do. The thought of her child suffering was enough to tear Tessa's heart in two!

As she thought long and hard about this, wracking her brain for a solution, an alarm went off in the Hollow. Tessa had gotten help from her neighbor Bruno to set up a basic video security system, and now an electronic bell was buzzing because apparently there was a stranger at her apartment's front door. The figure hid himself deep within canvas trench coat (too hot for this weather!), obscuring his face. The only flesh that Tessa could see was a claw tipped scaly finger was impatiently pressing the doorbell.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #333
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Alright, I'll comply." Songbird acquiesced to Sebastian's suggestion, returning his guitar to its place on his back as he listened to the Wizened speak.

"So you're sayin' he asked to die?" He looked over to Pengrove again and frowned. Was this the same guy he befriended? He didn't seem all that depressed last time, but these sorts of feelings can be hidden deep down. "That true, Arthur? We all go through troubles, but-... You really want it all to end?"

The avian changeling sighed, suddenly feeling like he really did just wander somewhere he shouldn't have.
    Last edited by Ohiska; 2019-05-15 at 10:59 PM.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

'Yes Arthur,' said Reggy. turning from Songbird to their host 'Why don't you tell our new friend your tale of woe. Musicians always have a knack for the dramatic, I find, his entrance certainly speaks to that.'
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Quoting
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    Introductions

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul

-John Muir

Tessa stood inside the inner sanctum of her rooftop garden, wrapped in the magical blanket of the hedge and protected from reality like a spring blossom that had not yet bloomed. She had found the abandoned two story Victorian shortly after she escaped her durance and had poured all her time, all of her energy, and all the money she could find into renovating the thing.

It had been years after Katrina, but still somehow the place had been left abandoned, filled with swamp water, and mud and the feces of a hundred different scavengers. But when Tessa had begun committing herself to rebuilding the place, the neighbors had all come out and helped, despite not knowing her or barely having enough money or resources to support themselves. She had been so touched by what her neighbors had done for her, and was so proud of what they had built when the back breaking effort was all done.

Now the apartment was crowned with a beautiful rooftop garden, perfect except for the leafy bower at the very corner of the roof. It would be a perfect place to stand, if not for being at the ledge, a seemingly precarious place where one could find themselves falling two stories if the wind blew the wrong way.

But now Tessa stood in the back of her Hollow, her secret space in the Hedge, accessed only by those brave enough to walk straight through the vine covered bower and over the ledge. Inside her Hollow, Tessa stood under the sapling that was her son, puzzled. Of late, Angel (for that was the name of the tree of course) had begun to bow, his branches drooping, his bark hardening and cracking. A certain knot in the tree's bark had seem to take the expression of a weeping little boy, and Tessa did not know what to do. The thought of her child suffering was enough to tear Tessa's heart in two!

As she thought long and hard about this, wracking her brain for a solution, an alarm went off in the Hollow. Tessa had gotten help from her neighbor Bruno to set up a basic video security system, and now an electronic bell was buzzing because apparently there was a stranger at her apartment's front door. The figure hid himself deep within canvas trench coat (too hot for this weather!), obscuring his face. The only flesh that Tessa could see was a claw tipped scaly finger was impatiently pressing the doorbell.

Tessa's immediate reaction was fear. Despite the unforeseen kindness of her neighbours and the acceptance that the Cayoodle Krew had shown to her, her first instinct was still to jump at every shadow, and to see shadows all around. She took a moment to steel herself, squashing the anxiety down as she had so many times before. The only way to get over the trauma, so other Changelings had said, was to keep moving forward. Fake it 'til you make it, that was what she'd been told, and that's what she intended to do.

She placed a hand against Angel's brow, as if feeling for a fever, her own brows knit with concern. "Don't worry little one, momma's coming back soon, then we can see what we can do for you ok?" She turned to exit the Hedge, her hand lingering on her son's bark for a moment before stepping back onto the rooftop. She made a cursory effort to wipe the loam and soil from her hands as she rushed down to the front door, her mind racing with possible ailments and cures for her child. He had plenty of sunlight and water, and the soil was rich with the nutrients he needed. Perhaps she was missing something..."

She opened the door without thinking, her mind still fully occupied on the only thing that truly mattered. She stood for a moment in silence, looking blankly forward. Suddenly, she returned to herself and started at the figure on her doorstep, her voice a little harsh with caution. "Can I help you?"
    WINNER! Villainous Competition XXXII: Selene, Bride of Ruin
    Silver Medallist Villainous Competition XXVI: Faras Alnahr, Dark Scion of the Hippo God

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

From the back of the room, Arthur Pengrove stood up on unsteady legs from his recliner. He was swaddled in dirty and moist looking grey bathrobe. His skin was like gnarled bark that sprouted dying blossoms, his leaves were yellow and sagging. He stumbled forwards, towards the others mumbling aloud, "More intruders? Whose there?"

When Pengrove gets to the hallway, he is panting in long hard wheezes and leans a hand on Tom's massive black armor for support. He takes a long look at Songbird, his face crinkling in on itself as if he had tasted a sour lemon and says, "Don't you have better manners than to come barging into a man's house uninvited? I don't know you, and I don't have to tell you any of my damn business." The statement seems to take a lot out of him, and when he is finished he is breathing hard again.

It wasn't a confirmation of their words, but it also appeared to Songbird that Pengrove wasn't in any distress!
    Show

7. - Top - End - #337

Beholder

Sebastian recedes into the background again, watching the conversation take place and looking for spots in the discussion to manipulate in their favour. And of course to discover the newcomer’s motives, especially if any are untoward.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Don't you remember me?" Songbird looked to Pengrove, realising that he probably wasn't the man he thought he was. Or, if he was, something must have hurt him deeply since the last time they met. "... Sorry for coming uninvited. Shouldn't have stuck my beak in anyone else's business."
    Last edited by Ohiska; 2019-05-17 at 09:23 AM.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Pengrove stepped forward, somehow squeezing himself between the wall and Tom's massive frame. The man was old and frail, and now that Songbird could clearly see him, he had no doubt that they had never met before. Songbird must have been thinking of someone else! And now he was stuck in this rather uncomfortable situation.

However, now it appeared that Arthur Pengrove was studying Songbird, his head hunched forward, his eyes narrowed. "Have we met," the elder Changeling asks with confusion, "are you one of the NOLA inter-Freehold Police???" There is sudden shock in Pengrove's face as he comes to this conclusion, and he stumbles back as if to get away, only to nearly topple over Big Tom, who steadies the man with a massive armored greave.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #340
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Songbird sighed, suddenly sure that he had made a mistake. He was sure that he was the Darkling he met last month. He suddenly felt that he shouldn't be here, but as Sebastian had said, maybe there was a higher reason for it?

"I ain't a cop. Just-... A concerned bystander." The avian changeling tried to relax and appear as non-threatening as possible, suddenly aware of just how badly he screwed up his entrance. "I'm a friend of a friend and I don't mean you any harm."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

If necessary, I'll roll Empathy + Manipulation to sooth Pengrove's nerves somewhat. Make him a wee bit less paranoid. I'll toss in Willpower, as I'll probably fail without it.

Empathy 2 + Manipulation 2 + Willpower 3
    (7d10)[4][5][6][5][6][10][1](37)

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Arthur Pengrove opens his mouth as if to speak, then pauses, slackjawed. For a moment, Songbird is certain he can see a small black shiny spider crawling inside his open maw, as if it were the husk of a dead tree. Then his mouth closes and the elder Changeling nods his head dumbly. "Okay," he says with a shrug, "if you say so. My name is Arthur, nice to meet you."
    Show

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

'Reggy' said Reggy simply. I'm part of the Krew, this is my Motley, their names are theirs to give. Who's this friend of a friend you're friends with?
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Call me Songbird, a voice in the Chorus. Nice to meet you, too." The avian changeling relaxes somewhat. "If you don't mind me asking, why did you want to die?"

"Nobody too important." Songbird answers Reggy, but pauses before continuing. "One of Pengrove's neighbours. Old friend from before my nickname got literal. "

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

Reggy's eyes narrow slightly 'It must be... pleasant, to retain artefacts from your past life.' He said no more, he too wanted to hear Pengrove's answer
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #345

Beholder

Sebastian hastily begins to scrawl a few notes on his notebook, and anyone nearby would see that he was writing clues and boxes on his paper. After a moment there is a bleed of glamour as he lets the pleasing paper, ink, and library like scent fade over him and across the paper.

He looks puzzlingly as he peers at what is left behind. First he looks annoyed...then puzzled...then satisfied. He looks back at Songbird.

“Sebastian. I’m...just me. Nothing special.”
    Last edited by EarthenRite; 2019-05-22 at 06:51 PM.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The man who stood waiting for Tessa was swaddled in canvas trench coat straight out of a 1940s detective noir movie. He grins at Tessa, his mask showing a handsome square jaw, cold blue eyes, and greased manicured hair. However, a flicker reveals of mein of a man-crocodile; his handsome face turned into a long scaled snout with a mouth filled with hooked pointy teeth. He grins at Tessa, a single hand holding a red-vine to his mouth like a long cigarette. "I'm sorry to bother you Ms. Tessa, I promise you I won't take up too much of your time," he says in a voice rough like sandpaper.

The Beast takes a chomp of the red-vine, licking his scaled lips with a tongue died a cherry red. Then with his free hand he pulls back his trench coat to expose that he is dressed in something like a police man's uniform. But the shiny bronze badge on his chest is unique; it is a shield embossed with a Fleur-de-Lys, flanked at four corners by a saxophone, a coin, a crown, and a Mardi Gras mask. These are the symbols of the four freeholds. Engraved on the badge reads "Officer of the Four Freeholds of New Orleans. With a crocodile's grin, he says"Do you mind if I come in?"

'Reggy' said Reggy simply. I'm part of the Krew, this is my Motley, their names are theirs to give. Who's this friend of a friend you're friends with?
    The massive Changeling in the black armor simply gives Songbird a nod and says, "Tom". But he slowly lowers the sword, so that it is no longer pointing at Songbird. He continues to scowl though, looking like some fantastic fairytale executioner.

But behind Big Tom, the fourth Changeling speaks up. She folds her arms across her chest, giving Songbird a sardonic smile, and says her name as if every syllable were dripping with irony. "You can call me Imere," she says with the verbal equivalent of a hard eye roll, "though you may know me as Starplan." Neither name rings a bell. Her look is the stupidly attractive brilliance of an Elfin general. Clean, bright skin, perfectly obedient hair, long pointed ears, a single dramatic duelling scar on the left cheek, violet eyes. Like the love interest from a young adult fantasy novel, or a CGI girl from a League of Legends trailer - as in, cool and hot but somehow not realistic enough to fit in a more mature story.

The avian changeling relaxes somewhat. "If you don't mind me asking, why did you want to die?"
    Pengrove crosses his hands, a frustrated look playing across his wrinkled face. "Jeeeeeeeeezus," he swears in a long NOLA southern drawl, "I didn't know I'd be sharing all my dirty laundry today. I'm not sure that's really any of your business... considering you've already let yourself into my home without being invited exactly."
    Show

17. - Top - End - #347

PaladinGuy

Tessa pauses, she doesn't know this man, but it's clear he's like her, and she has no reason to doubt to authenticity or authority of his badge of office. She didn't really want to let him in, but she really didn't want to refuse, only to be bothered far more in the future.
    "Of course not, please come in." She moves aside from the door and gestures to the sofa that dominated the main room of the place. It had been reclaimed from a dumpster bare weeks ago, but with a little Wizened magic, and the support of her neighbours, it was now clean, pristine and comfortable, its only flaw the same as everything else in the room, nothing matched.
    "Can I get you a coffee Mr.....?"
    Silver Medallist Villainous Competition XXVI: Faras Alnahr, Dark Scion of the Hippo God

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The Beast opens up his massive snout and throws the remaining red vine into his maw, chomping down hard after. He grins with satisfaction at Tessa and says, "You can call me Typhon," as he follows her into the main room of the house. The Changeling named Typhon remains standing and says, "No thanks, I'm not in the mood for coffee at the moment."With one hand resting on the back of the couch he says, "Why don't we both sit down and chat briefly, then I'll be out of your hair." He remains standing until Tessa sits herself, otherwise, he follows her wherever she wanders within the house.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

'I for one wouldn't mind Songbird staying,' Reggy gave an easy and very false grin 'Should we agree to what you want it wouldn't hurt to have an impartial witness. It might prevent... certain complications.'
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #350

PaladinGuy

Tessa chooses not to sit, if this is going to be only a quick visit, she didn't see the need for it. There was something in the Beast's demeanour that she didn't like though, and watched him closely as he spoke.
    "Happy to meet you Typhon. You seem to know me already, so why not get started? What can I do for you officer?" She's careful to appear as welcoming as she can, but she's not used to dealing with cops.

Spoiler: Sense Deception
    Show
    Tessa's going to roll to see if there's anything untoward in Typhon's words or motivation, so Wits+Empathy (6d10)[26]

21. - Top - End - #351
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Pleasure to meet you all-... Though it could have been in brighter circumstances."

"You're right that it's none of my business. I can go if you prefer." Songbird spoke after hearing Pengrove's response to his question, glancing over to the door for a brief moment, but hesitates. "But I came here to help you. I might still be able to. Tell me your story-... And I'll help you find whatever ending you want."

Songbird pauses to consider, before speaking again.

"I promise."
    Last edited by Ohiska; 2019-05-24 at 05:45 AM.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Tessa remains standing. Typhon remains standing. The two stand across from each other in the living room studying each other.

"Happy to meet you Typhon. You seem to know me already, so why not get started? What can I do for you officer?" She's careful to appear as welcoming as she can, but she's not used to dealing with cops.
    There is the slightest lift of Typhon's brow at Tessa's words, and suddenly the Wizened knows she can read the man's gestures like a book. He grins as he says, "Well, I was hoping to talk to you about a friend of your's, a Mr. Reginald Humphery. If you would, I was hoping you could tell me a little bit more about him." There was something vile in the man's words, something hungry. Whatever this man wanted to know about Reggy, it was likely to be used against Tessa's dear friend. Nothing told her this man was violent, and she was not sure to what lengths he would go to get whatever information he needed, but Tessa knew she couldn't give him anything!

(OOC: I rolled for you in the OOC thread. Despite my luck being awful with the dice roller recently, Tessa's 6d10 actually resulted in an exceptional success. As a result of the roll I am also giving Tessa the Steadfast Condition. Tessa is resolved to resist Typhon's questioning, and has an inner confidence in her actions. Any failed roll can be converted to a single success)
    Show

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ogre in the Playground

Reggy glanced from Songbird to Pengrove and back again, weighing his decisions as best he could in the few seconds he had 'From what little I understand, Songbird is as much at risk as anyone else in this city. You have his pledge Pengrove, this can be your ending. But first you must speak of the beginning, of what went wrong, and how it threatens all of us.'
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #354

PaladinGuy

Tessa taps her finger against her arm, as if in thought. Her uneasiness at Typhon's intrusion had grown to outright suspicion, and while she was a little relieved that he seemed to be more interested in Reggie than herself, it still galled her to have the beast in her home.
    "Mr. Reginald Humphrey? You mean Reggie? Friend's a bit strong I think, we're more acquaintances really. Lovely man, gave me some tips for my Nectaroscordum siculum bulgaricum! Easy enough to grow they are, but exceptionally difficult to flower. Reggie said they work best south-facing, and now they're blooming wonderfully!"
    She could continue talking about flowers for ages, but decides to close down any further communication. "Not much else I know about him to be honest. Maybe you should ask the Krew's Summer Court? They'd know him better than I would!"

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Arthur Pengrove sighs, his entire body seeming to sag. The withered flowers blooming like a crown around his head seem to wilt further, their petals turning a dry muddy brown. He bows his head, as if in defeat and says, "If you promise me the peace I have longed for, then I shall agree to tell you what you wish to hear... though you may not like it."

When Pengrove looks up again, his eyes are glassy and sunken, and it looks like the aged changeling may be fighting back tears.

Typhon seems to smile at this, or to whatever extent his crocodile lips can. He gives an "mhm", with a curt head nod, and waits for a moment, perhaps waiting for Tessa to continue. When he gets nothing, his long black claws tap once on the top of Tessa's couch, creating a sound like velcro being undone. "Very well," he says with an impatient sigh, "perhaps I was not clear enough. I am performing an investigation, regarding a Changeling who has recently gone missing; a Night Reveler by the name of Kitsune." The name is perhaps familiar to Tessa, though little more than "familiar". Typhon continues, "Your friend... Reggie and his motley have been somewhat implicated in this disappearance. So Ms. Dubois, I would like you to summon your knowledge regarding Mr. Humphery to help me learn why he may have done this, or where he may have taken her!" Typhon's voice barely raises above a whisper, but there is a certain sharpness in his voice that cuts like the edge of some magic dagger. But then his attitude softens slight, and a furtive mischeviousness creeps into his black eyes, and he adds, "And of course, I'd appreciate it if you keep everything discussed now... private, at least till the investigation is over, and our criminal is apprehended."
    Show

26. - Top - End - #356

Beholder

Sebastian can practically feel the sadness emanating from the man.

“It’ll be alright. We will take care of it. We’ll take care of you.”

27. - Top - End - #357

PaladinGuy

Tessa's taken aback at the Beast's claims, while she did know Reggie a little better than she was letting on, there was nothing that would lead her to believe that he was capable of something like this. Clearly there was something suspicious going on here. Looks like she'd need to speak to Reggie about this herself...

"Honestly, I've only spoken to him about botany, and I've barely heard of Kitsune at all! I met him at the Krew, and I've only ever seen him there or here, and he's certainly not here." she remains calm, not rising to the edge in her opponent's voice. When he suggests that she should keep this private, she smiles sweetly back at him, "Oh of course honey, I wouldn't dream of sharing police business!"
    She makes a show of thinking, then brightly suggests, "I tell you what, I do have to go out now,you know how it is, but if I hear from Reggie, or find out anything else that might help you in your enquiries, I'll let you know. You must have a telephone? I'll use the payphone on the street, just in case."

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"No," Pengrove exclaims with a long bony finger pointed at Sebastian, "not you. You already tried to lie to me about this. I want them to promise, and not just words. I want your promise, I want your oath!" As he speaks several of the dried dead petals fall from Arthur Pengrove's brow, collecting on the dusty floor at his feet.

Tom places a massive hand on Pengrove's shoulder, a dark look in his eyes. "I promise to take your head off if that is what you want. I can make it as painless as possible." The Ogre's other hand tightens its grip on the hilt of his massive sword.

Pengrove looks to the others, waiting for their promise.

The lizard's eyes narrow then flick open, and suddenly Tessa is aware of Typhon's predatory aura; she can almost see him salivating. He extends a scaly webbed hand to Tessa and says, "Would you be willing to Seal a pledge to those words?" Typhon's grin shows his long rows of hooked yellow teeth.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #359
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"I-... promise to give you whatever ending you want." Songbird frowns at that

30. - Top - End - #360

PaladinGuy

Tessa smiles coyly at Typhon's suggestion, but inside, her heart is racing with fear. She wouldn't let him trap her so easily though. "Sorry honey, but I never make pledges with strangers. I mean, it seems to me that you're trustworthy enough, but people in our position tend not to be able to rely on appearance. Who's to say that you don't mean Reggie harm, and are using me to get closer to him? For all I know, this 'Kitsune' isn't even missing! If I were to make a pledge with you now, with only your word to go on about who you are and what you want, it's very possible that you could use it for some dark end." She sighs, it was a long speech for her, but she wasn't done yet.

"I believe you, of course I do, but you can only push a changeling's trust so far, you know? So if it's all the same to you, we'll extend each other the same level of trust. I'll take your word that you are who and what you claim, and you take mine that I'll tell you if I see Reggie. See? No need for pledges between honest folk."
    Last edited by Lionheart; 2019-05-28 at 08:43 AM.