New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: (IC) New Orleans by Night CtL

Sebastians eyes dart to the napkin, noticing it instinctively. It was a code, a cipher, something he knew and was comfortable with. While the others talk, he sits nearby, near Skydog specifically, and takes a half-finished crossword puzzle out of his bag. He starts working on it, rapidly, answering questions at a fraction of his usual speed though. He wanted to make this one seem harder for him.

Finding a part of the grid on which he can write “Where?” And “When?” He turns the puzzle towards the bartender, as if looking at it himself from another angle. He taps his pencil against the numbered clues he edited.

“I don’t want a drink...too early.”

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sorry, the holidays hit me hard. Lots of stuff (all good!) to do

2. - Top - End - #752
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

It takes Skydog perhaps longer than it should to process Sebastian's crossword puzzle. When he finally does "put it together", the bartender exclaims, "OOOOHHHH!" before quickly stifling himself. Shifting his eyes back and forth, Skydog takes the pencil from Sebastian and writes on the crossword, "Follow me to my Hollow". His chicken scratch writing doesn't even respect the boxes of the crossword!

But before he leads the way, Skydog announces, "I'd like to show you some of my newer stock. It's in back, but I will need one of you stay and watch the bar." He eyes the drunkard whose focus remains on the whiskey, and says to Reggie, "Would you mind?"

Reggie sighs, rolling his eyes in the most British way possible, before saying, "Fine, but make it quick."

Skydog nervously leads the group through a door behind the bar, into a narrow hallway lined with bottles of bottom shelf spirits. At the end of the hallway. He places a hand on an ornate red door with black iron lacing that seems out of place for the rest of the bar. The door appears locked, but Skydog places his hand on the red painted wood and hums a few bars of a tune that sounds awfully familiar.

The door swings up on its own, and the group follows Skydog into his Hollow. They find themselves in a room decorated like a garage band's wet dream. The room is practically stuffed with amplifiers, an extensive drum kit, and a number of musical instruments. However, it is clear that the crown jewel of the collection is a trio of Gibson Les Paul electric guitars that rest on stands in the center of the room.

The room is dimly lit and smells like cinnamon and incense. It barely fits the group of Changelings who have stuffed themselves into the room. Skydog turns to the group and says, "I'm still not sure it's actually safe to talk in here." He keeps his voice down to a whisper, and his eyes shift about the tiny Hollow nervously.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #753
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Hopefully it's safe enough." Songbird sighed at that. "So, this situation with Creed-... Man, he seems to be more powerful than I gave him credit for, if he can provoke this kind of reaction. Til' recently I mostly just knew him as Kitsune's ******* boy toy."

"The guy's got a lot of dirty secrets. Kit found out he sent out a couple of his men to try kidnap a kid for some weird ritual and now she's gone into hiding. Don't spose' happen to know Marv, Sky?"
    Last edited by Ohiska; 2020-01-06 at 09:58 PM.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ogre in the Playground

Tom followed Skydog and the rest of his Motley as they were ushered into his Hollow. He tried to compress his considerable size to fit through the narrow hallway, yet his shoulders and head still grazed the passing surfaces.

Despite the cramped conditions, it was at least not as bad as the broom closet that Freddy had led them into.

Tom listened intently to the interaction between Songbird and Skydog with interest, watching the Changeling intently. Whether this Hollow was indeed safe to speak freely in, or not, it was Tom’s calling to ensure nothing untoward happened to his companions.

”There is trouble on the horizon, Skydog.” Tom murmured, ”If you know anything, it would be welcome news. For good or ill.”
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Skydog practically bristles at Songbird's openness, visibly flinching. He puts a hand up to stop both Songbird and Tom, "Listen man, I'm not sure what you guys are talking about... but I know you have to be more careful than that." Again, the bartending Night Reveler glances about the room, his own Hollow. "Things are not as... safe in this city as they seem. And Creed is the Domino of the Revelers! Of course he is powerful. He holds sway over at least a quarter of the Changelings in this city, if not more. "

Finally the distraught Skydog seems to gather himself. Turning to Tom he says, "What do you mean? You know a detective representing the Freeholds of this city came by last night asking about your Motley? Some **** is going down right now man!"
    Show

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

That was disconcerting news, and it had Tom perking up to peer more intensely at Skydog while thick arms uncurled from across his chest and hands splayed on his hips.

”Did they now?” He rumbled, ”Who was this detective? Did they identify themselves? What is it they wanted to know of us?”

The Ogre turned to his Motley with a scowl.

”My heart tells me that our enemies are going to try and vilify us to the rest of the Freehold.”

7. - Top - End - #757
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Songbird frowned at Skydog's reaction, figuring that he'd made a misstep in opening the conversation the way he did.

"Believe me, I know that this city's got a lot of danger, even with the protection it has. Everyone we've talked to is terrified of Creed and the Kings-... We shouldn't be afraid of our leaders. If we wanted to live in fear of stepping out of line, we may as well have stayed in Fairyland." The avian changeling sighed at that. "We know that ****'s going down, but we've been trying to figure out what. Our people deserve to know the truth."

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

In reply to Tom's question, the bartender says, "He was a reptile-man in a trench coat." Skydog adds that the man's name was Typhon, but everyone else already knew this.

Skydog nods his head at what Tom and Songbird are saying, but he shrugs and says, "I get what you are saying, but things are never that easy. Trust me, I don't like all this gestapo bull**** anymore than anyone else, but it's been like that for years. And so far we have been safe from The Fae, and the Huntsmen and all the other **** that goes bump in the night, if you know what I mean. Besides, it's not like there's anything we can do about it."
    Show

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground

The news about whom was asking after them was troubling, of course, but to hear that it was the lizard-man brought a scoff of indignation rumbling up from the depths of the Ogre’s massive chest.

”Of course it was him.” Tom growled, ”What did he ask of you?”

10. - Top - End - #760
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Skydog shrugs, his eyes cast down with uncertainty and guilt. "He knew Songbird and I were friends and asked if he or you three had been around. I told him you had, because I wasn't sure what he was after. He asked what you had been up to. I told nothing but getting a few rounds of drinks. I told him I didn't know anything, but he really creeped me out. Pulled out his badge and everything. Got very Orwellian on me."
    Show

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Spoiler: OOC: On Keeping Things Moving
    Show

Hey all, I just wanted to reach out and see what I/we can do to keep things moving in this game, and the others I am running. I notice that players are able to post in other games/threads but have not been posting as regularly here. I assume a small part is based on my recent post rate. I will admit that I have been very busy of late with family in town and my wife's Greencard hearing occurring recently. Happy to say that she got her Greencard and I expect to have a solid schedule the next few weeks that will allow me to post more regularly.

I also believe a component of this is that a few players have been MIA of late. Suffice to say I am reaching out to players individually as well to see if those who have been less present need time off, or if there is some other problem that can be addressed.

Is there anything else I/we can do to keep things moving forward? Please tell me I'm not losing everyone here. Also, while I posted this IC so that it is not missed by anyone, I would prefer we discuss this in the OOC thread.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ogre in the Playground

”He is more a snake than in just his appearance.” Tom grumbled sagely to Skydog’s concerns. ”Be wary of him. He is, likely, the greatest immediate danger we may face. It would put my mind at ease to fashion a new jacket from his scales. Have you heard about any missing youths in your passing days?”

13. - Top - End - #763
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Skydog shrugs and says, "I'm a bartender man. I'm not sure what you mean by missing youths, but I'm not exactly letting kids into the bar or anything."
    Show

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ogre in the Playground

”Of course not.” Tom said with a weary sigh, ”But I am sure that people talk, and do bartenders not listen? Had you heard anything about missing kids? Even just a whisper or a rumor?”

15. - Top - End - #765
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Shaking his head in the negative, Skydog says, "Nah man. Sorry."
    Show

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ogre in the Playground

”You seemed concerned to speak to us out in your bar. Aside from the wyrm, has anyone unusual been coming around?” Tom asked curiously after a moment of thought.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Yeah, and I also gotta ask-... Have ya' seen or heard anything of Marv? Heard anything about him? We know he's involved pretty deep in all this."

18. - Top - End - #768
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Skydog shakes his head uncomfortably, and again risks a nervous study of his Hollow. "Shoot, you both are pretty green out of Arcadia then," he says with a self conscious chuckle, " You haven't heard all the rumors about how New Orleans is only so safe because the powers that be control the city with an iron grip? They are supposed to be like Big Brother, but with magical powers or something man. I mean, it was all supposed to just be rumors and ****, like used to explain when a Changeling just goes missing in this city. But of course, N'awlens is so bit and there are so many of us, that just happens from time to time, right? Anyways, I thought it was all just rumors till that enforcer in the trench coat showed up... now I'm not so sure."

Skydog takes a moment to try to settle his nerves before replying to Songbird's question about Marv. Matter of factly, he replies, "I mean if those rumors are true, then of course The Domino's left hand man is gonna be involved, right?"

Pausing for another moment, Skydog takes a step back away from the group. The gesture is reminiscent of how Freddy had moved to get away in his Hollow earlier that day. "I'm sorry guys," Skydog says with downcast eyes and a sad shrug, "but now that I think about it, perhaps it's best if I don't get involved in this stuff, if you know what I mean. Don't tell me anything more man, I don't think I want to know. I think it's time we stop this conversation, and you guys see yourselves out. I gotta take care of myself man, and this is getting to be a bad scene." Skydog steps sideways and puts his arms out as if presenting the exit to the Motley, trying to show the group the way out.

Show
    So, I have been completely unable to get a hold of either Ladorak or ER, both of whom have not logged on or posted in an extended period. Though I am not giving up hope on either player, I want to at least raise the idea of considering recruiting at least one more player (I think sticking to one is a good start). As it is we only have two active posters, and I want to prevent the game from falling apart if neither Ladorak or ER comes back.

How would we feel about this? Happy to keep this discussion going via spoiler or in the OOC thread. I only posted this here, because I know not all players check the OOC thread regularly.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ogre in the Playground

Fresh from Arcadia?

In a manner, that was true. Still, Tom had never truly bothered to pay much attention to the political climate in the Freehold. Perhaps to his detriment, it would seem. The Ogre had spent far more of his time lurking on the cusp of the community, helping where he could and watching for trouble.

This trouble, however, was not something he could easily break. Much as the burning core of his frozen heart recoiled at the thought.

He grimaced, and shook his head. "If the bargain that keeps New Orleans safe is at the cost of feeding children to their new Keepers, as I suspect may be the goal, then are those who blindly follow it any better than their own Keepers?" Tom wasn't sure if that was what was truly happening, but to Tom, missing children and Fey bargains went hand in hand.

Or perhaps that was his own bias talking.

Show

I'm fine with that, though I'll keep my fingers crossed that ER and Ladorak are doing okay.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"I don't know... I can't... I can't be responsible for that **** man!" Skydog was practically shaking, and his eyes were glassy, lids working to bat back tears. He was white as a sheet, hands still pointing towards the door.

Show
    Gonna give Ohiska a chance to give their input on recruiting before starting a thread.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

”Inaction that leads to evil, is evil in and of itself.” Tom grumbled to Skydog’s response. ”At least you will inform us if you hear of any trouble, yes?”

Show

Sounds good to me.

Just as an FYI, I'm not sure if you're having the same problems...but there's some wicked forum problems going on. I'm constantly getting timed out, 503 errors, or messages about the server taking too long to respond. This post alone took me four tries (and about 15 minutes) to get up.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"New Orleans ain't safe so long as these people are in power, but everywhere else has the True Fae. No matter what, we aren't safe, we gotta watch our backs. I ain't gonna plead with you to help us out of moral reasons, but-... None of us are really free here, not any more than we were on the far side of the Hedge." Songbird spoke passionately and with a clear sense of purpose. "Listen-... I get it, if you want to stay out of this. To be honest, I was kinda' dragged into this myself, but-... The life you've built here in NOLA doesn't have to end. I don't intend to go full rebel against the Courts, all molotov cocktail and ****, but we Night Revellers are meant to be a democracy, ain't we? I'm gonna learn all the truth I can and sing it out loud. Come election day, we'll have a new Domino-... One who gives a **** about transparency."

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry for not posting sooner, the server was down and I had a friend visiting. I'll roll Presence + Persuasion to try and win him over, with some Willpower dice thrown in there. Let's hope for some luck, eh?

Presence 4 + Persuasion 2 + Willpower 3 = 9

(9d10)[2][2][10][2][1][3][3][8][5](36)
    10-Again: (9d10)[5][7][4][6][9][9][3][4][6](53)

23. - Top - End - #773
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Skydog shakes his head numbly, "Look, I'll keep my ears open and I won't share anything we've discussed. Your secret's safe with me. But I can't afford to put my neck out right now. You know what I mean. I've already been through Hell just to get here. I'm sorry, I wish I could say I was braver, but... it's so damn hard. But I'll do what I can to help." Now tears are streaming down the Changeling's face, bright jewel like droplets that collect on and in his golden fur, creating matted streaks.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

”Very well.” Tom said after a lengthy pause. He had considered what Songbird said; about the True Fae being out beyond New Orleans. About how no one was really safe.

It was an unfortunate truth.

”What is our next step?” The Ogre asked his companion.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"I get it, man-... Every little thing helps. You're a good guy, y'know that? If trouble comes up, or if you ever need help-... Just call and we'll come runnin'." Songbird tried to reassure Skydog somewhat, doubting his own decision to involve the man in this whole situation. "Before we go-... Do you know which restaurant Marv works at? And, well-... Would you feel safer if one of us stayed behind to protect you?"

Spoiler
    Show

Who's a good skydog? You are!
    I'll probably spend Experience to make him an Ally, when I have enough beats. It's always good to have someone to feed us info.

Suggesting the 'someone stays behind' thing as an alternative to carrying Seb or Reggy around as NPCs, assuming their players don't come back soon. Up to you if you want to use that, ST.
    Last edited by Ohiska; 2020-01-28 at 08:23 AM.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ogre in the Playground

Tom nodded thoughtfully as Songbird suggested one of the Motley remaining behind. Under normal circumstances, the Ogre would offer to lend his considerable might to Skydog’s protection – but these were hardly normal circumstances, and Tom was sure his skills would be needed going forward.

Show

That’s a really good idea. If Reg or Sebastian hung out, it’d give them some on camera reason to stay…well…off camera.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Skydog nods his head and says, "Yea, he's at Galatoire's." The French Quarter staple is a well known staple of New Orleans fine dining; the kind of place where you can't get in unless you're wearing a blazer. The name conjures the image of rows of tables with fine linen coverings, marble black and white checkered floors, and plates laden with butter and seafood.

To Tom's offer he says, "Maybe, I mean... I don't think I'm going to be targeted or anything, unless it comes out I'm helping you guys I guess. But I wouldn't be surprised if that lizard man comes back. I don't know if one of you wants to stick around to catch him when he does."

Show
    That is a good idea. But let me reach out to all the players first and figure out if anyone is coming back.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ogre in the Playground

The Ogre nodded thoughtfully at the news as to where Marv was working. Tom certainly didn’t expect that he’d just be allowed through the front door. For one, his clothing was worn and old and his mere presence had a tendency to be a bit off-putting to folks; especially wealthy ones.

”Thank you for your assistance, Skydog.” The Ogre rumbled, ”And it would be our pleasure to keep an extra pair of eyes on you. It could not hurt.”

29. - Top - End - #779
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Thanks, man, for everything. Don't worry, we'll get through all of this, together." Songbird offered a reassuring smile. He wasn't entirely sure about all of it himself, but he tried to stay optimistic.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Sebastian shrugs nervously, looking back at his Motley as if for help and says, "Uh, I guess I can stay if you want. I mean, I'm no warrior but I can keep an eye out and maybe catalogue things." He looks again at the others, as if praying someone else will step up.
    Show