New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Banned

BardGuy

Default Re: Beginner 5E Game [IC]

"We can still turn this around, they don't know about us. They just know that she was lying, nothing more." Aidan says, trying to analyze the situation. "Let's get somewhere save, and Macil and I can come back, and observe from safe distance."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Yuri nods in agreement and unties the other goblin's legs so that he can walk. No reason not to, and it might secure the woman's trust. She looks to the goblin woman as she works.

"You did your best. Did he say how quickly he would be coming?"
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

3. - Top - End - #213
    Colossus in the Playground

"No-he just laughed and insulted me," she says.

The man mutters a quick word in Goblin, hopefully a thanks, and starts heading for the exit. He stops, though, not wanting to get too far from his captors.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #214

NinjaGuy

Yuri nods as she gets to her feet and stows the rope in her pack. She does her best to commit what the woman just did with the crystal to memory.

Spoiler: Intelligence to Memorize
    Show
    (1d20)[9]

"Right. Let's get going, then." She begins moving towards the entrance to the cave, no reason to dally longer.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

5. - Top - End - #215

You exit the cave, the goblins hunkering in the middle of your group.

Outside, it's still drizzling a little bit, but the worst has passed. Getting back to town shouldn't be too hard, assuming nothing happens along the way.

Spoiler: DM Rolls
    Show
    (2d20)[2][10](12)

But, nothing too untoward occurs, and you find yourself having the village in sight after a few hours pass, just as the rain is beginning to clear fully.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2018-12-10 at 07:35 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

6. - Top - End - #216
    Banned

BardGuy

Before leaving the cave Aidan pulls out his spare robe and hands it to the goblin girl. "This should help you avoid some unwanted attention. I'm assuming goblins aren't really welcome in the town."

7. - Top - End - #217

She murmurs a quiet "Thank you" when given it.

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #218
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Let's get back to the tavern. We can consult with the old man, and maybe get sweettalk some goblin-sized clothes out of them."
    A potent relic of the past. 'Tis said the wearer commands the wisdom of kings, and can see the unseeable.
    Like the grue lurking in your bedroom waiting for you to fall asleep.
    But perhaps some things are better left unseen...
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

9. - Top - End - #219

MindFlayer

Spoiler: Int check
    Show

(1d20-1)[8]
    Sorry kind of busy tonight. Will check in when able. Check is to memorize the crystal movement.

10. - Top - End - #220

NinjaGuy

Yuri nods and leads the way. Of all the outcomes, leading two of the goblins back into town as captives/rescuees is the last one she would have predicted. But, here they are, best to make the most of the situation.

"Maybe he'll have some idea of where the orcs came from in the first place."

11. - Top - End - #221

As you come closer to town, you see a mother looking after her three kids who are playing with sticks. She's the first to see you, and calls over. "Are you the group that went to handle the goblins? How did you fare?"

Show
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #222

NinjaGuy

"Indeed. We've discovered a larger problem, though," Yuri calls back. "Might we speak to the town elder?"

13. - Top - End - #223

"McGregor is usually going to bed around now," she replies, coming a bit closer, "but Kelrug's always up. He's Adelaide's grandfather."

Show
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #224

"As it so happens, 'fair' is perhaps the best way to describe it; I wouldn't exactly call it good. Your goblin problems should be resolved, at least."
    Last edited by Pheehelm; 2018-12-10 at 08:05 PM.
    A potent relic of the past. 'Tis said the wearer commands the wisdom of kings, and can see the unseeable.
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

15. - Top - End - #225

She frowns. "That doesn't sound... Good. You should talk to Kelrug. I'm sure he'll know what to-hey!" she cuts herself off as one of the children starts attacking another a little too eagerly. "Play nice!"

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #226

NinjaGuy

"Kelrug is fine; he's the one we talked to before starting this anyways. He's still at the tavern, yes?" Yuri responds. She stays carefully between the goblins and the woman, hoping to shield them slightly and keep the woman's attention on her.

17. - Top - End - #227

"Yes, he should-NO! No no no!" she says, seemingly quite concerned with the kids now.

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #228

NinjaGuy

Yeah, that's their cue to hustle on to the tavern before anyone catches a better look at the goblins and figures out what they are. Yuri nods to the woman and beams.

"I think we'd better go find Kelrug now. Thanks for your help!" She says with a friendly wave, before beginning to move in the direction of the tavern.

19. - Top - End - #229

Being a bit late, there aren't many people about, and you reach the tavern without revealing the existence of your captives.

In the inn, there's no one except Adelaide, behind the bar, and Kelrug, sitting at a table with a hearty meal. "Ah, friends, you return! I'm glad to see you're not dead!"

Show
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #230
    Banned

BardGuy

"Well, I see that you have your hands full, so we won't bother you any longer." Aidan interjects. "Good luck with the little ones."

21. - Top - End - #231

NinjaGuy

Yuri beams at Kelrug, but there's worry in her smile.

"Indeed we do...with troubling discoveries....and possibly a little trouble with us."

22. - Top - End - #232

Kelrug, intent on his meal, nods. "Well, out with it. No sense keeping it in."

Show
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #233

NinjaGuy

Yuri looks to Macil and Aidan for a moment, before passing a slight nod to Aidan and letting him speak first.
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2018-12-10 at 08:38 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Banned

BardGuy

"We brought two of our associates with us. They are part of a hunter association that mostly does business around Dalamor." Aidan gets a little closer and half-whispers. "They also happen to be goblins, who specialize in tracking down other goblins. Something in the blood or whatever, I'm not really an expert. The problem is that they might not be a welcome sight in this town, and we need a little help with that."
    Spoiler: Deception
    Show
    (1d20+4)[14]

25. - Top - End - #235

Kelrug's fork drops to his plate. "Grandpa?" Adelaide calls out. "You okay?"

"Fine, just... Just fine. You have prisoners?" he asks. "Or, associates, I see. What've they got to say?"

Looking at you all for her cue, your prisoner steps forward a little, and speaks. "We, ah... We may have deceived your friends a little. We were able to track them because they were once part of our tribe-but we were hunted. Attacked, by the orcs. We made it out, but they killed our shaman, and enslaved the rest of our tribe."

Kelrug's already somewhat worn face turns even more downcast. "Lords above, this... This is bad. Orcs... Tell me-do you know the name of their leader?"

"What?" is her reply. "Why?"

"It matters. Trust me, gods above, it matters," he says back. She shakes her head. "Anything-any names, anything that might... I don't know."

"Our master was named Zorm?" she offers, but Kelrug shakes his head. "And he mentioned someone called the Devourer-a god of theirs, may-"

Kelrug leaps to his feet, and runs over to Adelaide. "Sweety, pack everything up. Absolutely everything."

"What? Why?" she asks, setting the mug in her hands down.

"I'll... No. I have time now. He's not here. He can't be," Kelrug says, fear plainly evident in his voice. "I'm 245 years old. Garkul the Devourer was defeated when I was six years old. Not many like to talk of him-not many people like to even BELIEVE in him. But he was real. By the gods above and below, he was real. A monster of an orc, standing 18' tall at least, but with the tactical genius of ten warlords... He burned cities. Destroyed thousands of lives. Tens of thousands, HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS. His armies were legion. You always hear stories about adventurers, heading off and exploring ancient ruins? Why do you think there are so many? Why do you think the wilds are so dangerous? They weren't, before I was born. But Garkul broke civilization's spine. He shattered it, and even now we can feel his echoes..."

He stops a moment, breathing raggedly. "But he's dead. Orcs don't live that long, and besides-he was killed when his armies were defeated. But if any of his followers still live, and their hold here is broken... They won't settle till this entire village is nothing but ashes. So unless you think you can take an orcish warband, we're leaving. Adelaide-pack everything we can carry. I'll talk to McGregor-get him to get everyone else to go."
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2018-12-10 at 08:57 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #236

MindFlayer

Dain returns to town with the party and their goblin...captives? “Hmrph...traveling with goblins....goblins!” Dain resented the little creatures and wished to be done with them at the soonest possible time. Of course, he wouldn’t end one of the creatures lives if they behaved themselves, but he wished to turn them loose to the wilds at the first opportunity. Still, these goblins were their best bet at learning more about this problem, and as long as he didn’t have to work with them personally, he could deal with it.

27. - Top - End - #237

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMist View Post
    "We brought two of our associates with us. They are part of a hunter association that mostly does business around Dalamor." Aidan gets a little closer and half-whispers. "They also happen to be goblins, who specialize in tracking down other goblins. Something in the blood or whatever, I'm not really an expert. The problem is that they might not be a welcome sight in this town, and we need a little help with that."
    Macil barely had the presence of mind to nod conspiratorially. Aidan was definitely nothing like the holy men back in Widow-bury.

He turned over Aidan's scenario in his mind. Cons were better not oversold, although he wanted to be ready with a save in case they asked questions.

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    [plot advancement]
    Macil sat very quietly for a while.

"...maybe they didn't mean that Devourer? Like, just a really fat orc? Aidan, you weren't the expert a moment ago, but you are now. What do you know?"
    Last edited by Pheehelm; 2018-12-10 at 08:45 PM.
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

28. - Top - End - #238

"There are signs," Kelrug says. "While Garkul himself wasn't a mage, he had them working for him. They would perform... Experiments, on their captives and their own. Was there anything like that?"

Show
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #239

NinjaGuy

Yuri nods seriously.

"The orc that was in the hideout they were occupying had been modified arcanely. Tell us, you know a lot about this, but I've never heard this story before. How was Garkul defeated the first time?"

30. - Top - End - #240

"An army. A coalition of halflings and dwarves, gnomes and humans, elves and every other damn race under the sun," Kelrug says. "The only saving grace was that his closest followers, and those beneath them, and so on, were orcs. Bloodthirsty, and eager to be at the top. He always had to fight from the front, to prove that he was still the strongest, and so, when he was marching on Talfen, the Golden City, he finally met his match and was killed. With Garkul dead, his chieftains retreated, and turned on one other in an attempt to be the leader themselves."

Spoiler: History DC 12
    Show
    Talfen was the biggest and brightest of the ancient cities.

Spoiler: DC 18
    Show
    It was destroyed by an orcish warband, larger than any other that had been seen before.

Show
    Show

Show