New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Banned

BardGuy

Default Re: Beginner 5E Game [IC]

"Not much, unfortunately." Aidan tries to think of something that might be relevant, but nothing comes to mind. "I know the orcs don't mix well with, but that's all I have." He adds with a shrug.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Yuri considers.

"Well, one of the chieftains must have won out and these are their descendants. Either that, or this is someone new..."
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2018-12-10 at 10:08 PM.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Dain’s ears perk up. He has heard that name before in his studies in his younger days. ”Telfan was The largest city in ancient times. ‘Splendid as Telfan’ is still a saying among my kind to describe works of wonder.” Unfortunately, Dain didn’t have much more to add. He would let the others discuss with the old man and speak if he had anything to add, but at this time he needed to listen.

4. - Top - End - #244

Macil rapped his fingers on the table.

The orc fight hadn't gone well for him; he understood clearly he was lucky to be alive. The four of them were up against something much larger and more powerful than themselves.

His first impulse was they should call for help, seek out some greater heroes to tackle the problem. But the goblins had been attacking the merchants traveling the road, and all Edinborough had to offer in response were four novice adventurers stopping by on the same day.

He took a deep breath.

"So...what are we going to do about this? What can we do?"
    A potent relic of the past. 'Tis said the wearer commands the wisdom of kings, and can see the unseeable.
    Like the grue lurking in your bedroom waiting for you to fall asleep.
    But perhaps some things are better left unseen...
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

5. - Top - End - #245

NinjaGuy

"We can try to warn the larger kingdoms. It doesn't do much for the town, though," Yuri says, the enormity of the problem seemingly hitting her. She came to help the people in the town, but it seems there's little they can do against an entire army alone. "I hate that you folks might need to pack up and abandon your homes, but I'm not sure what else we can do for you."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

6. - Top - End - #246
    Colossus in the Playground

"Ain't your fault," Kelrug says, heading out the door. "I'll talk to McGregor-Adelaide, give these folk any kind of food or drink they need."

"Yes grandpa," she says, almost mechanically. A few moments after he's left, she breaks down into tears.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

7. - Top - End - #247

MindFlayer

The situation did indeed seem dire. If that orc had made it to town it would have been devastating; even a group of adventurers such as themselves had great difficulty in living through that ordeal. Knowledge was indeed power in such situations.

Dain turns to reply to Macil and says
    ”If this Garkul business is true then we may be in over our heads. First thing, we need to warn the town. If there’s another one o’ them orcs...people need to know to fight from a distance. As for after that? Not sure to be honest...we aren’t exactly a match for an orc war band.”

8. - Top - End - #248

NinjaGuy

Yuri moves up to Adelaide and reaches out hesitantly with one hand as the young woman starts to cry, offering it to her should she want it. Yuri's expression is one of sympathy.

"I'm sorry. I know what it's like to lose your home."

9. - Top - End - #249

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Bear View Post
    ”If this Garkul business is true then we may be in over our heads. First thing, we need to warn the town. If there’s another one o’ them orcs...people need to know to fight from a distance. As for after that? Not sure to be honest...we aren’t exactly a match for an orc war band.”
    Macil grimaced.

"As I recall, fighting from a distance just made him mad. Still, you're not wrong."
    A potent relic of the past. 'Tis said the wearer commands the wisdom of kings, and can see the unseeable.
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

10. - Top - End - #250

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Pheehelm View Post
    Macil grimaced.

"As I recall, fighting from a distance just made him mad. Still, you're not wrong."
    ”Everything makes an orc mad! Bwahaha!!“ Dain coughs and straightens himself, a more serious expression on his face.
    ”Let’s wait for the old man to return. In the meantime...”
    Dain turns to see Adelaide crying, with Yuri consoling her.
    “I, uh, guess I’ll help meself.” He says and goes behind the bar to fetch an ale and to find something to eat.

11. - Top - End - #251

Adelaide sobs, getting out occasional words. From what you can gather, it seems she was born here, and she's worried about losing her home.

You do your best to comfort her, getting food and drink for yourself as needed, and in about half an hour, Kelrug returns. "I talked to McGregor. He's going around and telling everyone we need to leave for Indos as soon as possible. Adelaide, I thought I... Oh..." he trails off, and walks towards his granddaughter. "I'm sorry. I... Ah... I'll do the packing, alright? You just... Just... Yeah..."

As he packs, Kelrug beckons you over, just far enough to let Adelaide cry in peace. "I hate to ask any more of you, but the roads can be quite dangerous, even with the local troubles taken care of. Would you be willing to help protect us while we travel? We'll pay what we can, but we're not rich folk."

Show
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #252

Macil nodded.

"I'm willing to go along with you, if only because the only other choice is to sit here and wait for the Devourer to devour 'er, 'im, 'im, and me.

"That said, really, no rich folk at all? Strange. Everywhere I've been, there's been someone getting rich, and hurting others doing it. You mean there's no one like that around here at all?"
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

13. - Top - End - #253

"I'm the richest of us all, thanks to my alchemy experience, and I've got maybe a dozen gold pieces saved," Kelrug says. "We're simple folk, by and large. We help each other out."

Show
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #254

MindFlayer

The more Dain moved about the better; he was probably just being paranoid at this point, but the farther from his homeland the safer he would be. He had never heard of Indos and these people really needed the help. ”Aye. I’ll protect ye while ye travel. I’m sorry ye have to leave yer home...

15. - Top - End - #255

NinjaGuy

Yuri reluctantly leaves Adelaide's side when Kelrug beckons and nods fiercely when he asks for the party's protection.

"Certainly. It's the least we can do."

16. - Top - End - #256

Sounded like he'd have to wait for Indos to deal with the gems.

Wait, alchemy experience.

"Hey! I just remembered, we had something to show you. Who kept the vial of poison we got from Mister This-Cost-Me-An-Arm-And-A-Leg?"
    Last edited by Pheehelm; 2018-12-10 at 11:37 PM.
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

17. - Top - End - #257

Kelrug sighs. "I'd best check it before I get the equipment packed away. For now, it might be best if you go around town, see if anyone needs help."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Everyone good with a short timeskip?

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Banned

BardGuy

"Here you go."Aidan says, as he pulls out the staff that was sticking out of his backpack. "I don't mind offering assistance, but this does bring up a question we can't answer right now. If this Garkul, or whatever else is behind this orc horde actually has an orc horde that can overrun the city within minutes, why would they resort to snuffing out the merchants? Unless they just want the city to suffer, which is a possibility, do they have another reason for picking the covert option?"
    Show
    I'm ready for a timeskip.

19. - Top - End - #259

Kelrug nods at Aidan's question, but says "A vanguard is something to be concerned about. Considering how much of my supplies were taken, I'd imagine that's the purpose, but they brook no insult, and killing one of their's is certainly that."

By the time everyone is ready to depart, it's nearly midnight. There are enough carts in town for everyone to take a living with them, if not luxuries, and most of the young are sitting on the carts with their belongings. Callum, who's eyes are a little red and puffy, comes over to you all, astride a majestic black horse and leading four more. "Here," he says. "You can ride them-if you're gonna help keep us safe, it'd be best you aren't too tired to fight. I... I appreciate all you're doing for us. I really do. We all do."

Show
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #260

Macil threw his cloak back and climbed up into the nearest saddle. He'd stolen a few city horses before; hopefully these were no different. Once situated, he adjusted his cloak to its normal concealing position. At this point it didn't matter; these people knew and accepted he was armed, but it felt like something was missing if he wore it differently.

"Thank you. I'll keep an eye out around." He set off at a trot to patrol around the caravan.

Show
    Macil periodically goes out a short ways ahead and behind to watch for attackers. Everyone else is welcome to join him.

Did Kelrug have anything to say about the poison from the skull staff?
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

21. - Top - End - #261

MindFlayer

Dain's eyes lit up at the offer of a mount and he replies "Bwahaha! Its no boar, but she will do nicely! I shall call her Sleipnir. I'll take good care o' her, even if I'm only borrowing." With a finesse not often associate with dwarves, Dain hoisted himself onto the saddle. "Been a while since I been in a saddle...still feels like home..." he thought to himself.

Indeed, it had been years since Dain had ridden a mount. But the feeling was instantly familiar, and he soon set about building trust with his new friend. Dain told Sleipnir all about their exploits in the cave with the explosive orc, and of his days riding a war boar in the caves. His war boar, Haunches, had been like a brother to him and had saved his life on more than once occasion. Unfortunately, Haunches was struck down when they had to flee Kingsgold, and Dain never had the heart to replace him. Dain swallowed hard as these memories flooded his vision. Haunches would live on in Dain's memory, but it was time to focus on the present. This new horse, Sleipnir, would make a fine steed.

Dain looked to the others, pulls his horn from his belt, and says "I'll take point. Should I see anything strange, you'll hear from me."

Show

Dain will lead the caravan with his head held high. Left arm equipped with a shield, right arm free to grab his horn or a weapon.

Last edited by The Big Bear; 2018-12-11 at 02:49 PM.

22. - Top - End - #262

NinjaGuy

Yuri gives Callum a reassuring smile, and a slight bow of thanks.

"Thank you. I wish there were a way that this wasn't necessary, but we'll do our best to keep everyone safe."

She swings herself up into the saddle with practiced ease and pats the horse on the neck a couple of times to reassure it. Clearly, she's had some training in riding, though given that she's an elf, that's probably to be expected. She turns her mount and sets off with Macil to patrol.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Banned

BardGuy

"I don't know about the others, but I slept through most of the day, so I'm pretty fresh. Still, a mount would be most welcoming." Aidan climbs the horse with a certain does of elegance, and even though he is not the most competent rider, he makes his way towards the front of the caravan.

24. - Top - End - #264

The caravan of village folk sets off.

Show
    Kelrug didn't mention anything about the poison, but he did examine it.

Perception checks all around, please.

And Macil (and anyone who joins in the vanguard)? Roll a d20. No mods.

Show
    Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #265

NinjaGuy

Yuri does her best to be on the lookout for enemies as she patrols with Macil.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20+2)[6]

Spoiler: Vanguard
    Show
    For when they go to the front of the caravan: (1d20)[17]

26. - Top - End - #266

MindFlayer

Dain keeps his wits about them as he rides at the front of the caravan.

Show

Perception: (1d20)[5]
    Vanguard:(1d20)[19]

27. - Top - End - #267

You continue on your way. About half an hour passes.

Suddenly, in a flurry of motion, a humanoid being simply leaps up from underneath Yuri's horse. The two struggle, with Yuri doing quite well for herself, but soon, the creature has Yuri securely grappled, with a wickedly curved knife at her throat.

The creature, a humanoid standing maybe five and a half feet tall, with horns coming up from their skull and a bright, leering crimson face, shouts to you in the vanguard, saying "Make no sudden moves! Or her head rolls!"

Show
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #268

Macil brought his horse to a stop and raised a hand to signal the caravan to halt. First thing to do was diplomacy. Second priority was to hope he was better at surprise violence than whatever had just ambushed them.

"Very well, stranger, you've got our attention. What do you want?"

Show
    Int check to identify the creature: (1d20)[14]
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

29. - Top - End - #269

MindFlayer

Seeing the crimson figure rise from the ground and struggle with Yuri, eventually getting the upper hand, Dain stops his horse and spits back in response "Ye harm 'er and it'll be the last o' yer days!"

Unfortunately, there did not appear to be anything he could do to help his friend but comply, so he followed Macil's lead next. "Hmrph...What do ye want with us, ye cur?"

Show
    Int check to identify what this thing is: (1d20-1)[13]

30. - Top - End - #270

Spoiler: Int DC 13
    Show
    You can't tell what the creature is.

The humanoid, who, now that the sudden shock of their appearance is over, you can see is wearing a crimson, horned mask to conceal their face, talks again. "You have some of ours. You took them from us, and we are here to enact a bloody vengeance upon you for that."

Show
    Show

Show