New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Dragon heist - Impressions

So, our group (4 PCs 1 DM) is looking to move on from our current campaign and the DM is looking into where we as a group will go next. For those that have played it, what are you impressions of Dragon heist?

We are a group tend to be better (and seem to enjoy more) in the combat and exploration tiers than the social tiers. Do you think dragon heist will be boring for a group like that?
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Dragon heist - Impressions

I love Dragon Heist. It's pretty awesome, if far from flawless and definitively not for beginning DMs. They really give you a living, breathing city and give you the chance to affect it.

There is exploration and combat (especially if you count investigating all over a city as exploration), but what do you mean about doing better at those than social? As in, is your group bored by social stuff, or just everything goes wrong when there is an attempt? How does your DM handle social stuff?
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2018-12-11 at 08:13 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    but what do you mean about doing better at those than social? As in, is your group bored by social stuff, or just everything goes wrong when there is an attempt? How does your DM handle social stuff?
    Our group can get a little bored with social interactions and we don't tend to focus as much on it. There is a bit of awkwardness in the interactions in general, and some of it tends to get dropped and made less important than the combat.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Well, in that case... I wouldn't recommend it, but maybe give it a shot? You'll probably be bored, but maybe it will click and interest you.

The various characters are what makes Dragon Heist, aside from the city. If there is awkwardness there, or if you avoid them, you're missing a lot of the fun.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'd say it depends on the DM. Our group isn't great at social stuff either. Sometimes not the other things as well since our resident Sorcerer has managed to cast sleep and web both on party members, but that's a different topic. But regardless our DM has managed to keep the adventure moving along at a good pace and I don't think anyone in the group has felt bogged down with the social aspect. I personally am really enjoying it.
    Last edited by n00b; 2018-12-11 at 08:42 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Well, in that case... I wouldn't recommend it, but maybe give it a shot? You'll probably be bored, but maybe it will click and interest you.

The various characters are what makes Dragon Heist, aside from the city. If there is awkwardness there, or if you avoid them, you're missing a lot of the fun.
    Thanks for the opinions. I will keep them in mind for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by n00b View Post
    I'd say it depends on the DM. Our group isn't great at social stuff either. Sometimes not the other things as well since our resident Sorcerer has managed to cast sleep and web both on party members, but that's a different topic. But regardless our DM has managed to keep the adventure moving along at a good pace and I don't think anyone in the group has felt bogged down with the social aspect. I personally am really enjoying it.
    Thanks, I appreciate it.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer