New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Playing high wis high cha

This is hard for me since if you look at the pathfinder ability table for mental stats, my IQ, standardized test scores, and general comments I get would put me at an 18 int score, but my wisdom and charisma can’t be any higher than a 6 or a 7. If I were to play a character that was the reverse of me at a session (low int but high wis and cha), how would I roleplay that given my lopsided IRL “scores”?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Playing high wis high cha

High wisdom low int characters would know that they are low int, so would tend to wait and think before speaking, but then say the right thing at the right time to the right person. So everytime you are about to say something ask yourself "Does my character need to say this? Does my character need to say this to this other character? Does my character need to say this to this other character right now?" I imagine that this would apply to actions as well.

That said, with low int you will not have an extensive vocabulary (and possibly not a great grasp of grammar). Smaller words would predominate in your speech.

High charisma is harder to pull off - you almost need the other characters (PC and NPC) to react to you as if you have it (kinda like how in action movies, the actor "getting punched" sells the punch more than the actor that "throws the punch").

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    High wisdom low int characters would know that they are low int, so would tend to wait and think before speaking, but then say the right thing at the right time to the right person. So everytime you are about to say something ask yourself "Does my character need to say this? Does my character need to say this to this other character? Does my character need to say this to this other character right now?" I imagine that this would apply to actions as well.

That said, with low int you will not have an extensive vocabulary (and possibly not a great grasp of grammar). Smaller words would predominate in your speech.

High charisma is harder to pull off - you almost need the other characters (PC and NPC) to react to you as if you have it (kinda like how in action movies, the actor "getting punched" sells the punch more than the actor that "throws the punch").
    That will be a stretch, since people usually view my friendly gestures as mortal insults and I’m an avid daydreamer. Today, I sat down to brunch with some of my colleagues and one of their comments on the weather will reminded me about an interesting piece of my recent research, so I brought up some interesting trivia regarding the breeding habits of barnacles. While I’m describing the act of coitus that occurs during this barnacle’s reproductive process, I am stuttering heavily as I always do, so I find myself having to repeat the parts about the gooey spermatazoa cloud this particular species of barnacle produces, I have one of my signature diaphram spasms and a hunk of phlem about the size of a quarter flies out of my mouth and lands in one of my colleagues’ chicken salad. The other members of the table got up and walked off, so I turned my attention to a hangnail on my toe that had been bothering me. I took off my socks and sandals and bit it off and then some self-righteous dogmatist came and insinuated I was ruining her meal. I let her know I’m a widely respected double PHD and can do what I want, so I left. People these days irritate me.

I know charisma has to do with physical appearance as well. Despite my attempts at hygene, I have an offensive body odor that returns within 15 minutes of bathing, and I have a monsterous, deformed, assymetrical face and slightly blue skin. The closest way I can describe what I look like is I’m like Sloth from the Goonies if Sloth were bluish.

Honestly, I’m just tired of playing only eccentric old wizards. I want to be the charming bard and party face for once.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Well, rpgs give you a chance to be something different from reality. You could start by simply imitating those people that have reputations for wisdom and charisma. I suppose if you want to go the extra mile you could enroll in courses on etiquette, public speaking, leadership, etc. Even charm school if those are still around. Possibly acting classes or workshops.

Depends what you want to invest for the result.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I imagine a high priest as having high wisdom and charisma, somebody who knows how to lead people through the right path, and who has experience dealing with the masses.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

easiest way I know of try something like that is to pick a fictional character you know well that has suitable stats and try to do how they'd act. Who that'd be depends a lot on which characters you know ofc.
    In the past I've cited Jed Clampett from the beverly hillbillies as a good example of low int high wis.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
    easiest way I know of try something like that is to pick a fictional character you know well that has suitable stats and try to do how they'd act. Who that'd be depends a lot on which characters you know ofc.
    In the past I've cited Jed Clampett from the beverly hillbillies as a good example of low int high wis.
    Jed Clampette has high charisma as well, since children don’t cry when they see him.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    one of their comments on the weather will reminded me about an interesting piece of my recent research, so I brought up some interesting trivia regarding the breeding habits of barnacles. While I’m describing the act of coitus that occurs during this barnacle’s reproductive process, I am stuttering heavily as I always do, so I find myself having to repeat the parts about the gooey spermatazoa cloud this particular species of barnacle produces, I have one of my signature diaphram spasms and a hunk of phlem about the size of a quarter flies out of my mouth and lands in one of my colleagues’ chicken salad. The other members of the table got up and walked off, so I turned my attention to a hangnail on my toe that had been bothering me. I took off my socks and sandals and bit it off

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Katie Boundary View Post
    I know. They should know by now that stuff flies out of my mouth sometimes when I speak.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

High cha low int can be loveable idiot, and with high wis nobody would say you are stupid. You know a lot, hell, you know more than you should. Maybe you never went to school, perhaps you can't read. Big words are pointless, short and to the point. You know what people wanna hear-they want a no nonsense straight shooter who says it like it is.

A lot of archetypes like badass grandpa, mysterious stranger, dashing military officer, demogague, socialite, fit the bill of these stats. If you have ever worked in or with salespeople, the best ones are usually this stat block-charming and cunning, but many lack technical knowledge of what they are actually selling. That doesn't matter, selling is selling, leave the jargon for the egg heads.
    Guides
    Monk dipping for pathfinder druids, a mini guide
    Trapped Under Ice-Geddy2112's guide to the Pathfinder Winter Witch
    I contributed to this awesome guide to chaotic good

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Charisma can also mean "force of personality" in which case Granny Weatherwax might be a good high wis high chr possibly low int (if education is int) option.

This is form the Terry Pratchett Discworld series (paraphrased, since I don't have the relevant book to hand):

'Witches didn't have leaders. That was for wizards, with their colleges and hierarchies and the like. Witches never worried about that stuff and so never bothered with leaders.

Granny Weatherwax was the most important leader that the witches didn't have.'

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

As Particle_Man states, Charisma is not simply about how likable you are. It's your sense of self. A high Charisma character can walk up to the gates of Hell and the gates will tremble at your presence. High Cha, High Wis, Low Int is rather easy to characterize, tough to play. You don't have to talk much. Heck, you might rarely utter a word. You speak through action. Swift, without hesitation. You run on instinct. You feel the moment, you sense the pressure point, and you move decisively. If someone asked you to explain why you did what you did, you'd simply say it smelt right. You don't have to be particularly clever. The world doesn't have time to outsmart you as it's too busy getting out of your way. You are a force of nature, and people will come to worship and fear you as one. No one takes you lightly. The fact that you don't say anything perfectly masks the empty space upstairs, and what little you do say will be taken as being far more profound than it actually is.