New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Former EK now pacifist bulld

My character is a level 14 EK, dex-build, with great DEX (+4) and INT (+3) and good CHA (+2)

The story: After a long campaign in the Abyss with all sorts of violence, cruelty, and excess, and have felt the loss of one of his most beloved friends he grows sick of war and fight. After his return home he parted ways with his decimated party and hide away from the world, leaving all his mundane worries and living a service life healing the sick and helping the poor.

Question is: what class should I pick? The campaign will run up to lvl 20 and perhaps a bit more.
    I was between a Life Cleric and a Devotion or Redemption Paladin. Paladin will be the less cripling if some day I choose to pick a weapon again (hello Divine Smite with EK slots!) but Cleric is perhaps tematicaly better and a clear "Burning the Ships" choice.

Other options are Bard (I can imagine that broken guy wandering alone in the nature, singing his grief while healing his listeners), and even an Abjurer (while not a healer in that option and low level abjurations for a party at level 15/16 will not be useful).

So, what do you think? I'm open to any other ideas/classes if that can help with the build.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Former EK now pacifist bulld

Nothing screams pacifist like Redemption Paladin. The only problem with that is it would be Paladin 3, which would be level 17 for you before it comes online.

So for a more immediate impact, Cleric is probably the better choice, but do you have the Wis for it? I wouldn't want to go Cleric with a crappy Wis score. But Life, Knowledge, or Protection domains would be great thematically.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

How about a celestial warlock.

Dedicate yourself to a holy power to make up for what you have seen by healing and protecting others.

Heal those you meet in need with short rest renewed healing.

Or go Druid circle of the shepherd assuming you have the wis to multiclass.

Super unicorn goodberries, super healing light to heal the masses , just gather all the poor and homeless and heal anyone who walks through the light, also using unicorn.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

At this point retiring the character entirely makes the most sense.

If he returned home, left his party behind, and embraced actual pacifism after being worn doing by the adventuring life, I don't see how or why he'd want to go back to it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    At this point retiring the character entirely makes the most sense.

If he returned home, left his party behind, and embraced actual pacifism after being worn doing by the adventuring life, I don't see how or why he'd want to go back to it.
    I agree.

If you want to continue the character, maybe just pick up the Healer feat. You are trained at war and magic, while I like rebuilds and have enjoyed some myself, I don't think a complete rebuild would add to the story.

Your character suffers the dilemma of only being able to prevent danger, and cast arcane spells (some of which are protection). The logical conclusion to your problem would that someone shows your character that they can prevent so much more damage by protecting those who cannot protect themselves.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Unoriginal''s on the ball.

If you're a pacifist, you've retired.
    If you're in the story because it's world ending trouble and you're on of the few of appropriate power that can be rustled out of service... then you're not going to be a pacifist, you're doing things out of necessity and being an EK works for that.

Taking a paladin oath, even redemption, is just feels before reals; You're not going to be a better person as a EK 14/Paladin 1 than you would be with EK 15. but I guess if your character is that kinda guy...

I think most would settle for using an artisan tool or getting land with your 14th-level money and being a benevolent ruler.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Thank you for the replies! Yes, Unoriginal hit the nail on the head and I'm on the very verge of retiring him.

I loved Misterwhisper's Druid suggestion. I wasn't considered that option and if I finally choose to keep the character, that class may totally fit the history.