New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default A beach episode! (in DnD)

Hi all

So my players recently beat a campaign and jokingly, since it's near Christmas, I said "Well we could have an beach episode, kinda like those joke anime episodes"

And they were super into the.

So the next question is:
    -What fun DnD related activities can you guys think of to do at the day on the beach.

And I mean non lethal things.

First thing that comes to mind is volleyball, thrown through some dnd rules.
    Any other ideas?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: A beach episode! (in DnD)

Use sunblock to paint the word 'dork' on the chest of Lt. Harris.
    Swimming/diving/sandcastle competition.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Volleyball is pretty standard. How about a barbecue, and the PCs have to catch their own dinner? Could make it into a fishing minigame or an actual battle where they wrestle sharks and a giant octopus.

Then at night they have to do a test of courage where they have to avoid getting frightened by undead monsters.

Spontaneous musical number?
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Critical Role did an episode like this. I think it was 93 but I'm not sure... you can just find it with google. The get up to some serious shenanigans especially when you have the rogue steal the artificer's stuff and put it in somebody elses room. The artificer then proceeded to let two mastiffs loose in the room and commanded them to f*** and s*** everywhere. It was pretty great.
    Mathematically speaking, D&D is a game where a level one character can be killed by a horde of cats.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sandcastle building. Always a must or so I'm told.
    Not to mention just standard swimming contests.

Depending on how hardcore you want to take the anime-ness, you could even do swimsuit/beachbody competitions.
    It's time for a preemptive retaliatory strike.

Original online work - I've Been Reborn as a Dungeon Monster?
    Tvtropes

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SociopathFriend View Post
    Sandcastle building. Always a must or so I'm told.
    Not to mention just standard swimming contests.

Depending on how hardcore you want to take the anime-ness, you could even do swimsuit/beachbody competitions.
    Who will win between the bard, the barbarian and the paladin?(the wizard did not even try to go to that competition)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Who will win between the bard, the barbarian and the paladin?(the wizard did not even try to go to that competition)
    Obviously the Warlock will rig the competition with Master of Myriad Forms.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

I don't know, The Barbarian is used to be nigh but naked in tense situations.

But in all seriousness, this sounds like a dice-less session to me. If your party is saying they are going to be at the beach relaxing, let them do the plotting for the session.

Low risk, high rewards (in the form of bragging rights).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

For a beach episode I could see:

Bareknuckle boxing matches - Lots of roleplay with minimal dice rolling, but still a fight encounter. Lots of 1+Str damage. Inspiration is doled out aplenty based on each of the fighting players' descriptions. If the PCs are fighting each other, You could also use:
    • the Edge mechanic from Vampire: The Eternal Struggle or the Monarch mechanic from M:tG's Consipracy set, where the dealing damage to the opponent gives you a slight edge, but getting hit will make that edge shift back.
    • the mechanic from the *really* obscure game Masterless, where each player decides their move secretly, then both reveal it at the same time.

Wild Goose Chase - Use the 4e Skill Challenge mechanic to have the players use their skills to navigate a goofy situation, such as:
    • PCs see a purse thief that is unusually quick, and leads them on a merry chase
    • PCs need to get across a crowded venue, such as a market or marina, to catch their ferry before it leaves.
    • The PCs get mistaken for a part of a local circus or festival, and decide to go with it until they get caught.
    • a PC or two get into some sort of game of chance, which they then use their skills to attempt to win.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Any character with Mold Earth would dominate a sand castle contest and the could do it in about a minute. Or if you were really high level Might Fortress is a thing lol.
    Mathematically speaking, D&D is a game where a level one character can be killed by a horde of cats.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

My players did this once, mainly cause the barbarian was a surfer bro. He surfed and almost got eaten by a dire shark, and when he recovered (was stabilized) head-butted a coconut in an attempt to open it (rolled a nat 1, and proceeded to bleed out again). The rest of the players did some fishing and sandcastle building (though there were no competitions). It was nice, but ultimately I let them do whatever they wanted. Though it didn't last a whole session, maybe like a third of a session lol.
    Lelouch vi Britannia by Gnomish Wanderer

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Obviously while they are swimming a group of pixies should steal all their gear and refuse to give it back unless the near naked party can defeat them in three challenges (volleyball, crew dance off, and best barbeque [especially tasty wild boar known to frequent nearby watering hole]) regardless of performance everyone gains respect and friendship and everything is returned at the end.

Plus a gift from the pixies (maybe a potion or something) for all the trouble.