New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Shannara: The Ragnarok Foundry IC

Paranor, The Keep of the Druids

Your newly formed group arrived with great haste the night before, each receiving an enigmatic summons from the Druid Council. Early morning still, a young apprentice named Bremen has led you to a sturdy room in the keep's northeast corner, along the outer wall. Apparently, as urgent as your mission is, it will not be handed down to you by the Ard Rhys, Galaphile.

"You did well to arrive on such short notice." comments Bremen. "I fear master Stor is not quite ready to fully explain your mission, but while you wait, I can answer at least some of the questions you must be having."
    ke palulu o ka pono, ka ihe o Ku
    I'm building a campaign setting! Latest update: Gnomes!

Hobhekili credit to linklele.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Shannara: The Ragnarok Foundry IC

Larimarle Starle
    Elf Time Mage
    HP: 56/56
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating On: --

Larimarle immediately steps forwards, smile on her face, and reaches out a hand to shake Bremen's as she says, "It's a pleasure to meet you master Bremen. I, as you know, am Larimarle Starle. Though you or anyone else here is welcome to address me by nickname like Marle, Lari, or Star. And I suppose my first question would be to ask how you did know my identity?" The question, though it could be an accusatory one coming from others, seems to be one of genuine curiosity that is coupled with a wry smile that suggests she's not sure if she'll be getting an answer to.

"I also have a second... well I guess this is a comment more than a question. I didn't think you Druids allowed people such as myself" by which she means non-druid magic users, "in your halls. I don't suppose we'll be getting a tour will we?" This last question also seems to be one she doesn't expect to get a positive answer to, though the tone is kind of like a kid outside the gates of a carnival hoping they'll be allowed in even though they can't pay for a ticket.

The black cat perched on her shoulders just stares intently at the Druid.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2018-12-11 at 05:02 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Bremen

The young Druid chuckles as he shakes Larimarle's hand. "Oh, we have certain tricks we use. Not ones you'll get to see on the tour, though." His tone is joking, but he follows up with a clarification. "And yes, you will be allowed at least a small tour of Paranor, even with your... outside magic. In fact, all of you have been picked because of your magic, not in spite of it."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"I look forward to it." Fabien says in reference to the tour. He had always been curious about what secrets the druids held within these walls, not that he expected them to be given away in the tour. "I'm also curious as to why we were summoned. Something far beyond the usual, no doubt?"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Tasir Krie

It has been an interesting couple of days away from the forge - not necessarily an eventful one, though; Tasir's just never been this far out. Paranor truly was a marvel of engineering - and just seeing it from the outside has the rock troll giddy as a child in a candy shop. And the prospect of a short tour of the premises not long afterwards? Like a child in a really big candy shop.

"I'll be honest, I thought I was being called up to craft some quality metalwork," she pipes up, a telltale chuckle on the tail end of her words. Tasir flashes the world as friendly a smile as her rocky, reptilian features would allow - which is, honestly, quite remarkably friendly after all - and gestures noncommitally at some of the tools she'd brought in with her. "Interesting problems beget interesting solutions, I suppose. Any chance we'll know why you've chosen us this way any time soon?

"Ah, and..."
    she pauses for a second, peering over at the spot of midnight currently curled about Larimarle's shoulders. Another smile dances across their features, this one even wider than before. "Your cat is adorable! Do they have a name?"
    Last edited by Tymeister; 2018-12-11 at 11:25 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Bremen

Bremen eyes his hands thoughtfully as the group begins to wonder about their reasons for being chosen. Finally, he responds by pulling a clothed-wrapped jagged shard out of his pocket, showing it to them. "Well, a primer couldn't hurt. See this?" It's small, barely the size of a dagger, and made of a most curious material indeed. "One side is ordinary stone, centuries old. The other is some sort of old world metal, but it seems to be brand new. The strangest thing? The sides can't be separated."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Larimarle Starle
    Elf Time Mage

Larimarle gives Breman a bright smile at this unexpectedly good news. Then she frowns a bit in confusion at the strange old world metal. That certainly sounded like a tricky mystery to solve. At which point she realized that this was going to be their mystery to solve.

But she still had the troll's question to answer, so she stopped pondering the matter there and turned to reply, "Why yes he does! This is Aurum." At which Aurum looks at the troll and seems to become an even darker black as if a shadow had just fallen across Larimarle's shoulder. Larimarle continues and says with a smile, "He thanks you for the compliment." Which seems to be very much counter to the stare that seems as if it's trying to bore into Tasir's soul she's getting from the cat. But then Aurum stretches and gives a soft meow and completely, perhaps intentionally(?), ruins the impression that it's not just a normal cat. Although the meow did seem to echo strangely. Though surely that's just an effect of Paranor's long halls. Surely.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Gallador looks around. He hadn't seen the halls of Paranor for nearly... yes two years now. They still held their majesty, the great stone halls. Each inlaid stone could've held a thousand secrets, a thousand faces. Gallador could almost hear what they were saying, all he had to do was chance a listen, chance a gander into the nice smooth stone walls... no, no he could not bring himself to look like a fool in front of his new compatriots. Compatriots who had learned their magic outside the boundaries of this safe haven. They were dangerous. They were not to be trusted. "Foolish!" he chided himself, "The sword has a sickly taint on my mind, must resist!" For all his chiding, Gallador did not hide the fact he disliked most of everyone in the room. For his druid Master, he would go with them. He would be a pair of Paranor's eyes on this venture. He noticed the others were doing introductions, Gallador decided he should give his name as well.

I am Gallador, apprentice to one here in Paranor, recently returned in fact, Gallador spoke curtly.

In all his distrusting inner monologue, however, he had never noticed the dagger.
    Last edited by Celticbear; 2018-12-13 at 07:06 AM.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

9. - Top - End - #9

Bremen

"Excellent. We well welcome even an apprenticed Druid on this venture." Hearing a tap from inside the room, Bremen hastily re-wrapped the shard, but didn't return it to his pocket. "It is time." He stated with a smile, opening the door to the room and beckoning the party enter.

Inside is a variety of tables and benches holding various scrolls and pieces of equipment, both magical and scientific. Standing over the largest table are two figures. The first is an aged gnome wearing a set of pure white robes. His hands are covered by thick white gloves, and you notice a second pair on his belt, folded over his keys. The second figure is taller, a muscular elf wearing leather armor, with a longbow slung across his shoulder. His face is significantly less kindly than the gnome's. It's faint, but you can feel a faint crackle of magic emanating from both of the pair. They are both druids.

Bremen strides in to take his place next to them, sweeping his hand in introduction. "I introduce you to Master Stor and Archer Parn. The will give you the details of your mission." He then places the shard from earlier on the table, next to a few gathered curiosities; a small obsidian skull, a piece of parchment in Old Human, sealed with a wolfs-head sign, and a small, pointed metal cylinder. "By the way, Master Stor, they confirmed it. Faerie magic."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Larimarle Starle
    Elf Time Mage

"Faerie magic and old world relics? Isn't this interesting?" Larimarle says in a conspiratorial tone to the others, though not so quiet the druids can't easily hear her.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Gallador follows inside, a hand on his sword. He had to squeeze the hilt to tell it to be quiet, to quit sending him fool notions. It never listened. He looked to Larimarle, and said, It is dangerous and life threatening. What is so interesting about a maw of a large force closing in around you going for the kill? We are on an uncertain path, wonderment is akin to foolhardiness here.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Tasir Krie

She must admit, Aurum's response really didn't seem like typical cat behaviour - but it'd be pretty rude to bring it up, and she wasn't raised to be rude troll. Rudeness didn't get you clients, or friends - in most cases, anyway - and what's a little staring-into-your soul between a couple of adventurers of questionably magical origin? "Well, it's a pleasure to meet you both!" And before Tasir could open her mouth to say any more, items of interest were shown and they were being ushered into the next room.

"Cannot be separated, you say? Well, that does seem like an anomaly. I think it might be worth- oh, this is new." It was at that point that they'd have stepped into what Tasir could only describe as a... laboratory, or a workshop, of sorts. Filled with all manner of measuring apparatus and strange, likely intellectual fellows to varying degrees of charismatic severity. Already those curious, golden eyes were skimming over the construction of the curiosities laid out before them - and because of the composition of the room, found themselves naturally drawn to the artefacts on display before the druids. She offers them a smile and an acknowledging nod - and to Gallador also, a bit of a quizzical expression.

Just about as questioning as the face of a rock could ever be, really.

"With all due respect, friend, I'm struggling to grasp how something being dangerous precludes it from being interesting. You're allowed to be careful and curious at the same time, yes?" It's okay to have faith in people sometimes. And with that, and all the subtlety of a falling bag of bricks, Tasir transitions to a much more hushed tone to ask whoever's closest (probably Lari), "Also uh, do you know if we're supposed to bow or something? I'm not really from around here, so I haven't got a clue."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Gallador stares at the rock creature for some time with an unamused expression as he says, The most beautiful flowers in the forest carry a deadly poison, and the most colorful frogs in the swamps will kill you if you touch them. Do not allow yourself to fall to such debauchery, and you need not fear these threats.

After that, Gallador clasps a hand to his chest, still holding his sword (always must hold his sword others could be thinking of stealing it), as he said something in Druidic. Probably an honored greeting.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Larimarle Starle
    Elf Time Mage

Larimarle regards Gallador's words and gives him a face that says "Well you're no fun!"

To Tasir she shrugs and whispers back, "No idea. You can bow to me if you like. I'm technically nobility." and gives a playful smile.

15. - Top - End - #15

Archer Parn

While Bremen and Master Stor respond appropriately to Gallador's greeting, Parn's deft ears notice confusion in the rest of the group, and he starts to speak, after a pronounced harrumph. "Why so much desire to see the ground? We are not noble enough to warrant bows, only respect. As for danger and curiosity, respect is needed there as well. Seek to understand, while staying aware of danger. Do that, and it will never catch you off guard. Now then, take a look." He gestures to the table of curios. "Anything jump out at you?"
    Last edited by Arzanyos; 2018-12-14 at 07:43 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Fabien steps forward and looks at the writing on the page.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using Eyes of the Ruinkeeper to be able to read the text.

17. - Top - End - #17

Spoiler: Scroll writings via Eyes of the Runekeeper
    Show
    In regular, albeit fancy cursive, human: Captain Raleigh,
    enclosed are the most comprehensive writings our order could find on the Einherjar Project. The Federation cautions you, though. Any excursions outside the Southland must be made with the utmost discretion
    The rest is in Old Human.
    The Once-Men come in a tide without ending. Any war with them is folly. They will drown us out, life for life, until we are no more. Therefore, I propose a solution. Soldiers without life. Warriors who know no pain, no mercy, and no fear. I have begun production of them deep underground, but will await further orders before releasing them. I fear, in our haste, we must unleash a genie for which we have no bottle. Though Project Einherjar will be my masterpiece, I dare say I will not live to see its fulfillment.

To guard against subversion, I do not disclose the location of my facility. Send a man in person to find out.
    Last edited by Arzanyos; 2018-12-14 at 11:20 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Larimarle Starle
    Elf Time Mage

At the prompting to look at the various items, Larimarle casts her gaze around. She feels her eyes drawn to one of the benches and walks over, pushing aside a stone tablet and picket up the item that was hidden beneath it.
    She picks it up and examines it to see that it is a kind of pocket watch somehow made entirely of crystal and yet still functioning. Looking at the details she sees it tracks some unusual times.
    The first hand tracks the seasons.
    The second hand tracks the phases of the moon (the eight normal phases and blood moon).
    The third hand tracks the phases of the sun (dawn, day, dusk, night, eclipse).
    The fourth tracks minutes, though rather than ticking along it just seems to gently slide. Putting her ear right up next to it though, she can hear a faint melodic hum.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"This text. Remarkable. It appears to date back to the Great Wars. It talks of people threatened by those they called 'the Once-Men,' people corrupted by demons - although I don't know if they knew that. Apparently they turned to old world science, and created some new type of soldier, which was not a person. Even though its creators thought it might save them, they were afraid of it. It doesn't were these things were kept, only that it was underground. And apparently it was called the Einherjar Project " Fabien pauses for a moment. "If we could find where they made theses things, the knowledge we could restore to the Four Lands, it would be incredible. A chance to study how the devices of the old world were constructed, even a tiny bit of that knowledge could bring us forward so far!" He pauses again. "Unfortunately we must be cautious, as it seems we are not the only ones interested in this. The Federation seems to have some of information we do. The people who created these things would have given them the best weapons the old world had. If any nation got a hold of those weapons in large number, or the secrets of creating them, they would become nearly unstoppable. Any war that followed would bring devastation to these lands not seen since the Great Wars. While I think we should learn what we can," he sighs clearly reluctant on this last point, "we must prevent anyone for getting their hands on the more destructive aspects of the knowledge, whatever that takes."
    Last edited by Diceomancer; 2018-12-16 at 11:16 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Master Stor and Archer Parn

Smiling thoughtfully, Stor walks to Larimarle, inspecting the watch as well. "A device for a more peaceful time, but I think it will serve you well nonetheless." The gnome closes Larimarle's hands over it, then gestures with his head at the rest of the group.

"Well, that's a welcome surprise." Archer Parn remarks at Fabien. "Hard to find someone who reads Old Human. Sky knows I can't." He raps his fingers impatiently on the table. "Something's missing. Mysterious items scavenged in the Eastland. Writings about Old-World weapons. That all makes sense. It seems someone found this Einherjar Project after all. What's missing is what the devil faerie magic has to do with it."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil Fae always seem to find their way here through one form or another, could be any one of you, Gallador hisses to himself, his knuckles going white from clutching his sword at his hip. He stares daggers over at Larimarle, but he seems like an entirely different man when he does so. He shook his head, and put his free hand on his forehead. He then looked away from her with a short growl. He had to be in control.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Larimarle Starle
    Elf Time Mage

"I can have it?" Larimarle softly asks Master Stor both delighted and confused, since letting items out of their grasp is the opposite of the way the Druids are usually presented.

Noticing Gallador's glare, Larimarle just gives him a smile and a little wave hello, hardly upset to be equated with mischievous faerie folk.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2018-12-17 at 01:09 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Master Stor

"You have agreed to do a great service for us. So yes, you may carry it, at least, for the time." The Druid slips away quickly, before Larimarle notices the pun. He frowns slightly as he notices Gallador's sword and its effect, but says nothing. "Now then, some direction. You have been called to investigate, but not only here. Your true task will be in the Eastlands, to find this "Einherjar Project", and make sure it does not fall into the hands of the unwise. Though we wish you to save as much knowledge as you can, ultimately, the method we leave to you."
    Last edited by Arzanyos; 2018-12-18 at 03:23 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Gallador clasped his free hand to his chest in an honored recognition of the old druid's words. He ignored the voices in his head spitting venomous words at him. "The druids horde knowledge for themselves, maybe because its powerful. We should have that power, you and I, YOU AND I!"

We will recover whatever we can for Paranor, have no fear, Gallador said in an entirely different tone than his threat towards Larimarle. He thought he'd have to apologize and explain his horrific conduct to his new traveling companions later. Yes later, they don't need to know of his condition. They could use the information against him- no, Gallador thought. The truth is what they deserved, what any deserved.

25. - Top - End - #25

Tasir isn't able to find out much about the weird shard that the group didn't already know, but notes that it's probably part of something much larger, like a door or fence. On the other hand, upon seeing the cylinder, something clicks. It bears a large resemblance to the descriptions of projectiles fired by weapons from before the Great Wars. It seems the vault has been opened, because only a military facility would still have regular bullets, mass-produced guns designed during the Great Wars mostly shot random bits of metal, like muskets.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Tasir Krie

The metallic curios were the ones that drew Tasir's attention the most - everything else was interesting, sure, but none of the oddly-shaped metal bits seemed to really have any sort of functionality on their own - or at least, not until that last little bit of information clicked into place. "See, most of these bits and bobs look like standalone curiosities, but these two things look like they're a part of something else - or meant to be used alongside, anyway. That," she gestures at the metal cylinder with a pointed tip. "Bears some striking resemblance to something I've read about a while back. Specialise ammunition from before the Great Wars. No idea what the shard is, though, it's too small a piece to make out. Are... all of these little mysteries here because they're related to the Einherjar project?"

27. - Top - End - #27

Archer Parn

"Possibly. They are all related to danger and chaos hiding in the Eastland. I found them myself, in the Upper Anar. However, while it is surely involved, the Einherjar Project might not be the whole of the troubles."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Wondering which item involved faerie magic, Fabien reaches out with his magical senses and examines the items. Once he has done that, he asks "So what's all this about faerie magic involved? And what troubles in the Eastland are you speaking of?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Using eldritch sight to cast detect magic.

29. - Top - End - #29

As Fabien reaches out with his sense, he sees glowing auras emanating from the obsidian skull, and the cursive writings on the paper. The shard seems to glow a little on the edges, but its too faint too pick anything out. The bullet is just a normal bullet. As for schools, he can't discern the school of the skull's aura, as it seems to be an older, more primal form of magic. The writings glow with a very weak enchantment effect.

Archer Parn

The elf shrugs noncommittally. "I believe I said earlier that we don't know what role the faerie magic plays in this. As for the trouble, it's the worst kind. The kind where all we get are secondhand reports, because nobody can find survivors. There have been reports of small villages in the Upper Anar being terrorized by some sort of monster. When pressed, though, nobody can remember seeing anything, and their recommendations of witnesses have all disappeared."

Bremen

"That's where you come in. We need people who can analyze the situation and then immediately respond, not some army that will take weeks to stop sitting on there thumbs. As well, we need people who think out of the box, so obviously, Druids are out."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Larimarle Starle
    Elf Time Mage

Larimarle unintentionally barks out a "Hah!" of amusement at Brennan's last line and immediately clasps a hand over her mouth in worry that that wasn't entirely appropriate.

Unbeknownst to her, Aurum slunk off her shoulders and has now hopped up right next to the skull and is staring into its eye holes intently.