New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1486
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Peelee's Chicken Fried Random Banter Thread #220

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Copy once, paste many times.
    And when I need to copy+paste something else, I lose the space and need to go get it again.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    And when I need to copy+paste something else, I lose the space and need to go get it again.
    I feel the same way when I'm cooking and holding a wooden spoon most of the time. If I need to hold something else, I have to put the cooking spoon down and then need to pick it up again.

Spaces are ubiquitous. You literally can't have two words without them. HYPHENS DON'T COUNT AND YOU KNOW IT.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hey everybody. Yesterday I asked the woman who's a cashier at the check cashing place to go out with me and she said she can't because she lives very far away in upstate New York. It took her 4 hours to get from her job and back again.

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I feel the same way when I'm cooking and holding a wooden spoon most of the time. If I need to hold something else, I have to put the cooking spoon down and then need to pick it up again.
    Picking up a wooden spoon is a lot easier than highlighting a single space, copying it, pasting it and never using ctrl+c for anything else again.

Spaces are ubiquitous. You literally can't have two words without them. HYPHENS DON'T COUNT AND YOU KNOW IT.
    Do too. People didn't understand why i was using hyphens but they understood what I was saying, which was the whole point.

Extended Sig

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Go to any website with words, there'll be a space to copy.
    Unless it's a picture of words. Such as words in the word bubble of a comic.

Anyway, a cheap keyboard is £6 or less, why struggle for that little. You might even like the cheap keyboard, though if you don't you can get an expensive one when you can afford it.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

6. - Top - End - #1386

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Hey everybody. Yesterday I asked the woman who's a cashier at the check cashing place to go out with me and she said she can't because she lives very far away in upstate New York. It took her 4 hours to get from her job and back again.
    It's really cool that you tried, even though it didn't work out!
    Picking up a wooden spoon is a lot easier than highlighting a single space, copying it, pasting it and never using ctrl+c for anything else again.
    ...no slight intended here, but are you just really bad at using a mouse? It takes all of two seconds. Three mouse clicks.
    Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Anyway, a cheap keyboard is £6 or less, why struggle for that little. You might even like the cheap keyboard, though if you don't you can get an expensive one when you can afford it.
    I'm operating under the assumption that getting one is relatively unfeasible in a soon-ish timeframe, because yeah, keyboards can be dirt cheap.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-02-22 at 01:39 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

It's really cool that you tried, even though it didn't work out!

...no slight intended here, but are you just really bad at using a mouse? It takes all of two seconds. Three mouse clicks.

I'm operating under the assumption that getting one is relatively unfeasible in a soon-ish timeframe, because yeah, keyboards can be dirt cheap.
    I know but I'm moving on.

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Titan in the Playground

I keep my text small, and right-click on my comp can also deselect highlighted areas.

Also ctrl+c doesn't always work on my comp; more often i use ctrl+x just to make sure I actually get what I'm trying to get.

Extended Sig

9. - Top - End - #1389

I keep my text small, and right-click on my comp can also deselect highlighted areas.

Also ctrl+c doesn't always work on my comp; more often i use ctrl+x just to make sure I actually get what I'm trying to get.
    That makes sense, it would be more annoying. That's also kind of an odd issue though with the copy function, you know why it does that?

I love CTRL-X, especially when doping insurance billing. Guarantees I copy what I need, and adds a fraction of a second. Totally getcha on that front.

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Sorry, it happens to all of us. I once asked out a woman who lived an entire forty minutes up the road, the distance was too much for us to handle.

In other news, I'm meeting up with my crush and her wife tomorrow to play some Pandemic: Legacy and Guitar Hero (I wanted Mario Kart, but was overruled), and maybe scrounge up some beer. I just need to dig out a good shirt.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

11. - Top - End - #1391

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I once asked out a woman who lived an entire forty minutes up the road, the distance was too much for us to handle.
    I don't know why you made that blue, I was under the impression that is a legitimate complainy-distance for Brits.

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I don't know why you made that blue, I was under the impression that is a legitimate complainy-distance for Brits.
    The cutoff for an acceptable journey is 90 minutes. If it takes longer than that, the correct term is voyage.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Titan in the Playground

To answer this question completely seriously.

The UK is significantly more compact than the US, which in general means travel times are shorter, which means we have less patience for travel. While those who work in London will sometimes spend an hour to an hour and a half committing into and out of with, in general a journey of an hour is seen as longer then average but doable, and three hours means you're going halfway across the country and is a grueling trek.

In the other hand, we have a tendency to be shocked at how much less common walking seems to be in some parts of America. Half an hour to walk to the shops isn't considered that big a deal here, and some people will regularly walk for an hour or two to get to where they want to go (although in places with decent public transport this is becoming less common). But part of that is because when a group of people are walking you're not having people just be passive in s vehicle.

I regularly sirens forty minutes traveling to meet friends, although for regular visits an hour would be too much for me. On the other hand it also depends on the friend, there are some where I'd spend a two hour train journey just to see them, and others where twenty minutes is too much effort unless we're going somewhere.

So to answer the question, kind of, but not generally for a relationship.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

14. - Top - End - #1394

In the other hand, we have a tendency to be shocked at how much less common walking seems to be in some parts of America. Half an hour to walk to the shops isn't considered that big a deal here, and some people will regularly walk for an hour or two to get to where they want to go (although in places with decent public transport this is becoming less common). But part of that is because when a group of people are walking you're not having people just be passive in s vehicle.
    Most of America isn't really built for walking. The best illustration is a county map, shown below - they started conservatively, and eventually decided "eh, screw it, just make this county bigger than some entire states back east." There's just so much space. In my parents house growing up, walking would get you a nice tour of the neighborhood, but not much else unless you wanted to walk at least a couple hours each way. And even then, you're going to be dealing with some relatively busy roads, which isn't ideal. Now, in the Northeast, things may be pretty different - that was designed by the same people who were used to making do with less space, and the megalopolis supposedly has fantastic public transportation as well. But the vast majority of the country simple doesn't have the kind of infrastructure that would allow those kinds of things.

Spoiler: County map
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    re: 2,5-Bis(2-methyl-2-propanyl)furan

with that much carbon and hydrogen, does it go BOOM? I only ask out of curiosity .. .. .. .. ..
    You can burn it with oxygen, of course, and you get a decent amount of energy out of it. That said carbon-carbon bonds and carbon-hydrogen bonds are both pretty stable, and you usually have to work to break them. There's ways around this (doing disgusting things with ring strain by forcing odd bond angles, such as building an 8 carbon cube with some hydrogens sticking out of it), but generally you're good.

It's when you start seeing lots and lots of nitrogen mixed in that it's time to worry about explosions.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Titan in the Playground

The amount of each is irrelevant. If it weren't, the incredibly massive deposits H2O would probably have destroyed the planet at the first spark long ago.

Shut up, physicists, I'm not interested in the energy yield if that could happen. Actually, I kind of am...
    Well, that depends entirely on what it would turn into instead, and if we assign that reaction a new energy yield or not...

ION:
    I finally fell victim to Vabruary, the fabled Swedish month where everyone is sick. Got myself a nice little cold that almost exclusively hit my head, and has thus been enjoying a few days of non-coherence in thought, speech and writing. And as always when I get these kinds of colds with few bodily symptoms, by the fourth day my sense of self-diagnosis loses calibration and I start second-guessing my sickness ("Am I tired and reluctant to get out of bed because I'm sick or because days of responsibility-free rest has made me a lazy slob?"), and then go to work only to immediately realise my mistake. I consequently had a very rewarding day of staring at code.

On the positive side, the letters are mostly coming out in the right order again when I'm typing, so that's a good sign.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1397

Most of America isn't really built for walking. The best illustration is a county map, shown below - they started conservatively, and eventually decided "eh, screw it, just make this county bigger than some entire states back east." There's just so much space. In my parents house growing up, walking would get you a nice tour of the neighborhood, but not much else unless you wanted to walk at least a couple hours each way. And even then, you're going to be dealing with some relatively busy roads, which isn't ideal. Now, in the Northeast, things may be pretty different - that was designed by the same people who were used to making do with less space, and the megalopolis supposedly has fantastic public transportation as well. But the vast majority of the country simple doesn't have the kind of infrastructure that would allow those kinds of things.

Spoiler: County map
    Show
    While I haven't bothered to do anything radical like actually checking, I think different states also have different opinions on how to divide things up into counties in terms of number of people per county and such. I suspect that it's one of many things in America that has no national standard and states are allowed to just sort subdivide themselves however they want to. To look at density, it'd probably more useful to look at federal house districts or something since those are supposed to map more broadly to similar population sizes in different states. I suspect county sizes are a better marker of length of urban settlement rather than straight density, but I've spent no time trying to research that suspicion.

I live in one of those western states with relatively larger counties, but in a fairly dense and walkable metro area within it. Of course, I bought my house where I did on purpose because living someplace where you could walk to get to an interesting variety of commercial/cultural stuff and also to mass transit was pretty much at the top of my list of requirements. It's quite easy to end up buying a house that's pretty much just surrounded by more houses without anything in particular for walkable destinations, some of which are on roads with no sidewalks that aren't even safe to walk on if you don't make it a priority. I quite possibly ended up with a smaller, older house as a result, but I have more places to go when I'm not in my house...

18. - Top - End - #1398

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    While I haven't bothered to do anything radical like actually checking, I think different states also have different opinions on how to divide things up into counties in terms of number of people per county and such.
    Oh, for sure, but that's less funny. Besides, even then you can take a state like Texas and pretty much see where they stopped caring.

19. - Top - End - #1399

Oh, for sure, but that's less funny. Besides, even then you can take a state like Texas and pretty much see where they stopped caring.
    For really seeing where they stopped caring, I give you Idaho's western border: Snake river, Snake river...ehh...fine....straight north from here!

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Ettin in the Playground

Apparently I'm not supposed to call fruit "tree placenta."
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

21. - Top - End - #1401

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Of course not. The fruit is the ovary, not the placenta. You're biologically incorrect!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-02-23 at 12:30 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Ettin in the Playground

Of course not. The fruit is the ovary, not the placenta. You're biologically incorrect!
    You sure? It contains the seeds, so maybe it's like an entire uterus...
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Colossus in the Playground

Everyone knows fruits are plant babies.

Anyway hey who wants to listen to the worst song known to man.

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Umm, no. Seeds are.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

25. - Top - End - #1405

Umm, no. Seeds are.
    I just wish that tree sex wasn't so...everywhere outside for so long in the spring and the byproducts would stay out of my nose and eyes, really. I do not enjoy being an unintended invitee to a months-long tree orgy.

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Barbarian in the Playground

Umm, no. Seeds are.

Anyway hey who wants to listen to the worst song known to man.
    The fruit has no biological equivalent to humans.

The seed is approximately the equivalent of an zygote cell, but the fruit is just a quantity of autosomal cells that are clustered around the seeds to protect them.

The actual sexual components of a plant are in the flower. The fruit is something like the fetus, if the fetus was in stasis and not in a womb.

(I could be utterly wrong about this. If somebody knows this better than me, I won't be offended if you correct my response).

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    While I haven't bothered to do anything radical like actually checking, I think different states also have different opinions on how to divide things up into counties in terms of number of people per county and such. I suspect that it's one of many things in America that has no national standard and states are allowed to just sort subdivide themselves however they want to.
    I think there was definitely a time when the sizes of "townships" was standardised to one in every 6x6 mile chunk of land, which is why there are large areas of that map with mostly regular-sized square counties.

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I think there was definitely a time when the sizes of "townships" was standardised to one in every 6x6 mile chunk of land, which is why there are large areas of that map with mostly regular-sized square counties.
    That would be the northwest territory act, which decreed that the northwest territory (which became Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio, and part of Minnesota) was to be surveyed in square mile chunks, with 36 chunks to be collected as townships.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Titan in the Playground

Well I feel like ****.

To cut a long story short, I tried to reach out to a friend to get their help with finding a job in engineering, and because I did so somewhat stupidly instead of being told to rechannel my enthusiasm or that the specific thing I was looking at wasn't something I was likely to get and to manage my expectations I ended up just being put down, having it implied that I shouldn't bother because people so much better than me get tired tossed aside as not good enough, and want given any help with picking myself again and finding something more realistic to look at. I ended up just breaking down crying after they left, because I felt like I was doomed to spend forever doing a job that I'll come to hate, that I won't ever get a shot at doing the thing I love, and that a person that I love just doesn't care about me enough to give me any help.

Honestly, for the first time in my life I feel betrayed. I reached out going to for help, and instead of that I got a hyper focus on the specific situation I brought up and a calm explanation about why I shouldn't even bother the and that I'd just casually be tossed aside. This is a friend who knows that I'm a bundle of insecurities at the best of times, and that one of the biggest ones is how my younger siblings are doing much better than me and complaining about 'only having' great jobs, and that I have a lot of trouble with social situations. And they spent the entire time tearing down any minor complaint I had and telling me why I shouldn't bother.

I desperately want to call in sick to work tomorrow, to just hide away from the world and let it go on without me if everything I find difficult is so important. It's just at the same time I don't want to let down the people at work depending on the fact I always show up to make the one day where you can't get emergency cover easier.

Show

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Well I feel like ****.

To cut a long story short, I tried to reach out to a friend to get their help with finding a job in engineering, and because I did so somewhat stupidly instead of being told to rechannel my enthusiasm or that the specific thing I was looking at wasn't something I was likely to get and to manage my expectations I ended up just being put down, having it implied that I shouldn't bother because people so much better than me get tired tossed aside as not good enough, and want given any help with picking myself again and finding something more realistic to look at. I ended up just breaking down crying after they left, because I felt like I was doomed to spend forever doing a job that I'll come to hate, that I won't ever get a shot at doing the thing I love, and that a person that I love just doesn't care about me enough to give me any help.

Honestly, for the first time in my life I feel betrayed. I reached out going to for help, and instead of that I got a hyper focus on the specific situation I brought up and a calm explanation about why I shouldn't even bother the and that I'd just casually be tossed aside. This is a friend who knows that I'm a bundle of insecurities at the best of times, and that one of the biggest ones is how my younger siblings are doing much better than me and complaining about 'only having' great jobs, and that I have a lot of trouble with social situations. And they spent the entire time tearing down any minor complaint I had and telling me why I shouldn't bother.

I desperately want to call in sick to work tomorrow, to just hide away from the world and let it go on without me if everything I find difficult is so important. It's just at the same time I don't want to let down the people at work depending on the fact I always show up to make the one day where you can't get emergency cover easier.
    I wish there were better words for me to write, but: I am sorry to hear about what you are going through.

The fact that you are taking this blow to the leg, and still limping into work though, is a good sign, to me. When there is work to be done you show up. That matters, so much more than we probably give credit for. Your work likely helps make your corner of the world run a little smoother.

Sending positive vibes your way.

-Mith

==================

Regarding your job search, are there government internships that are designed to give people in your position that boost in experience to get in the door? I know that's a possibility where I am, but a) different place and 2) might be easier for someone in Civil Engineering (if that isn't your discipline of study).