New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Cayden's Cheerful Company; Chapter 1: Carnival of Tears

"Oh, I agree we are sticking around, given we've just been told of the deplorable state of the place. In fact, no one should go off alone. I will accompany Caroline if someone else agrees to drink extra in my stead," Kouran said with a jaunty tone.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Athaleon View Post
    "Oh, I agree we are sticking around, given we've just been told of the deplorable state of the place. In fact, no one should go off alone. I will accompany Caroline if someone else agrees to drink extra in my stead," Kouran said with a jaunty tone.
    "I don't mind taking you up on your offer. I promise I won't cause any fires. Finger promises."
    Last edited by Wind-Up Citrus; 2019-01-05 at 11:40 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Kabran will leave with the added protection of two of his thugs. He looks like he is a bit worried about leaving his property unprotected but currently he feels a bit unsafe, Clover reads from his not too macho like gestures. Hatuk and Hab tell you they will organize the protection of the girls for tonight. Before leaving, Hab channels the power of the heavens above to heal everyone around him, including Nafisa and the two injured bouncers. They ask you to return to them after the firework when they approximately know where the women who decide to work independently can stay, protected from Kabran.

Therin enters the tent of the freakshow where the performers are currently switching. The Fat Lady you saw outside being carted around in a wheelbarrow 'shows off' her extreme obesity, gorging down on another two plates of dumplings and an entire meat pie. Her scrawny husband has to heave her into the wheelbarrow to cart her away. Next up is the sword swallower. The next act starts with a woman stumbling on the stage, as if she was choking on something. The first few spectators want to help her, she holds up her hand to refuse the offer. She then proceeds to remove a flaming sword from her throat, brandishing it in the air. To end off her performance she belches forth a small fire ball. As she leaves, there is a small break where the audience gets irate. Show us the damn girl! That is when the director kicks a small girl onto the stage. Instead of a real face, she has the head of a mastiff, not quite like a Cayhound but similar. As she stumbles onto the stage, people start heckling her.
    I bet she sniffs her boy's behind before saying hello.
    Stop it, I bet she had a ruff day.
    Yea, stop 'hounding her'
    The masses laugh at her. The girl's face looks soul-crushed.

And now, for the final act! Udmor, the one-headed Ettin! the announcer fires the crowd up. I know oneheaded Ettins! I got one in my pants! a particularly forward lumberjack announces. He is quickly silenced by a 6 foot humanoid leaping onto the stage, roaring at the crowd. They cheer in reaction. In his right hand he has a small black burlap sack. A small boy offers him a copper piece to have a look into his sack, the child peaks inside and immediately vomits. Is me other head! Udmor claims.

While Therin walks off to see the freakshow, Caroline deals with Nafisa. We can stay at the Red Lady Inn near the river docks of Falcon's Hollow. But we don't need to hurry. I do not think Kabran risks setting up an ambush in his current state. He has no one to patch him up as nicely as you do. Nafisa smiles gently at Hab, an entirely different smile than the one she used to seduce Kabran, more sincere. You all helped me tremendously, but I need to convince the other girls to come with you. Most simply fear the unknown when they quit working for Bloodeye. She quickly follows Hatuk and Hab into the burlesque tent.

The two other bouncers invite you for a few drinks. As you enter the ale tent yet again, a group hastily leaves their table to make room for you. The fact that you come in with two of Kabran's brutes is enough to give you plenty of room. The one Kouran talked to before the fight is known as Brek, the other one as Mosk. Mosk is glad to drink with such powerful and brave fighters. He was given a fun fight, and the only thing he dreads is going back to Kabran because he surely is punishing him for having failed. As a matter of fact, he inquires if you would employ him if you found a place for the girls to stay. He won't be out of Kabran's rage but you fight with honor, and you obviously have the blessing of the gods on your side. Something he won't stand against. Brek is a bit more cynical and tells you he feels Kreed and Kabran have this town under full control. Establishing a brothel or whatever safe haven you may have in mind in Falcon's Hollow may be possible but you have to assume every force working against you for a while. Plus he reminds you that Namdrin Quinn may be a showman but his troupe is notorious. He mixes in real magic with illusions, and he was a very famous bandit before he started his carnival. Monster is the Darkmoon Vale (which you are currently in) killed her wife and he never was the same.

He also whispers something into Kourans ear. [PM via Discord]

Spoiler
    Show
    Hab focusses positive energy to heal for (2d6)[8], including the injured bouncers but not Kabran. He will heal Clover for (2d8+4)[14] to ensure he is well.
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-01-06 at 10:49 AM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Therin hums softly as he watches the crowd, taking note of the hecklers and the like. Not that he was going to start trouble here. Oh no, he'd never do that. He looks over the One headed ettin, to see if there is infact a wound where another head should be, though his goal was more the dog headed girl. The other two seemed fine enough with their 'freakishness' but only she seemed to have little choice in the matter.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Udmor's head is off-center and next to it he prominently features a head-stump. Either this place's illusions are pretty good, or Udmor really is an Ettin. As for the girl, she quickly wants to retreat back-stage when a stage hand pushes her out twice or thrice, pushing her too hard and making her trip. The showmaster laughs at her and puts down a water bowl with the name Jeva adorned to it down. She seems thirsty. Drink, my little puppy. he exclaims. The crowd laughs at her again.
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-01-07 at 01:30 AM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

"Well you'll have our protection as long as you need it," says Caroline, "it sounds like this whole place could use a touch of the Drunken Hero. Just have to make sure the boys focus more on the 'Hero' part than the 'Drunken'."

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hey now there's nothing wrong with a little liquid courage. Were it not for that, and Cayden's example, how many of us would be sat at home on our backsides while villains go unpunished, eh?" Kouran interjected with a tone that suggested he was mostly serious.

Once their business with Nafisa was concluded for the moment, and they appeared to be alone, Kouran took Caroline aside. He scanned around for prying ears and whispered "I heard something interesting a little while ago. Seems there may be more to this town's problems than petty criminals."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    "Well you'll have our protection as long as you need it," says Caroline, "it sounds like this whole place could use a touch of the Drunken Hero. Just have to make sure the boys focus more on the 'Hero' part than the 'Drunken'."
    All but the oldest dancer are convinced you are finally their salvation. The young ones whisper among themselves, interjected with nods. Then the madam speaks up, a curvy woman in her early fourties, with a raspy voice.

Honey, this town is owned by Kreed and Kabran. If you ire our boss, you ire the lumber council. And then you are dead, magical dogs or no. I won't allow my girls to fall prey to a short-sighted plan like that. Neither would Nafisa, now would you?

No, Betsy. Nafisa seems embarrassed, like a young girl bemoaned by her mother.

Betsy smiles at you. But you carry your heart at the right place. Come again tomorrow to the Red Lady, and come with a plan. You roughed Kabran up good, he is not invulnerable. But there is more than killing monster, looting the treasure and safing the innocent here. This is not a fairy tale.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Udmor's head is off-center and next to it he prominently features a head-stump. Either this place's illusions are pretty good, or Udmor really is an Ettin. As for the girl, she quickly wants to retreat back-stage when a stage hand pushes her out twice or thrice, pushing her too hard and making her trip. The showmaster laughs at her and puts down a water bowl with the name Jeva adorned to it down. She seems thirsty. Drink, my little puppy. he exclaims. The crowd laughs at her again.

”That’s enough. Let her go.”

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

The showmaster looks annoyed. He has heard of your flame to the face of Kabran, and quickly removes the girl from the stage.

We smash him! Udmor proposes. The showmaster just shakes his head at the Ettin and whispers something at the giant.

Spoiler: DC 15 Perception
    Show
    Have you seen what they did with Kabran?

You can a voice similar to Udmor's from inside the burlap sack: We not fearing him! We smash.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Drastia is in the tent with the other bouncers, drinking, introducing the bouncers to various samples of her best brew, in between her inebriation and liquid courage she attempts to be positive with the other bouncers.

"You see, you lot are of much better character than I thought. You all seem to care about the dancers, and I got to say, whether or not you worship or even believe in him, Cayden appreciates that. Me and my own, we just want to help them out too. Like yeah Kabran, heh what a piece of work. But really, we can sooo much better."

Drastia sees some other bouncers not exactly impressed, as compared to her party mates she is not completely inept but not exactly the best in rhetoric. Annoyed, but also drunk, she does one of her party tricks.

"Heyy, wanna see something neat? Wild Shape."

Drastia instantly turns into a lyre bird, one seems to be impressed by her large feather.

"I can do all sorts of things like this, I can mimic sounds and fly"

"Oh look at me, I'm Kabran the dancer beater. Watch as I make an arse of myself in front of my workers and dancers"
    Drastia does during aerial maneuvers.
    Last edited by Wind-Up Citrus; 2019-01-07 at 02:27 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Both orcs stare at the bird, then at each other. Mosk rubs his eyes while Brek sniffs the beverage another time. What in the blazes? Brek stands up and packs the small bird at its beak.

Do you WANT to get us into trouble? Brek asks. Kabran is already pissed that we helped you out. Why insult him in his town with us at your side. Come Mosk, we have to work again. Both get up and leave the tent. At the exit, Brek adds. Thanks for the drinks. If you need us, just ask Betsy where we are.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Perception
    Show

[roll]1d20+4[/roll]

Appearing as just another plain-looking man, Logan stepped forward. His tail was hidden by the illusion magic his cap granted, but even so he invisibly flicked it from side to side in a testy manner.

“That girl obviously wants to leave! Let her go!”
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 2019-01-07 at 02:37 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Perception
    Show

(1d20+4)[23]

It didn’t go through the first time...

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Both orcs stare at the bird, then at each other. Mosk rubs his eyes while Brek sniffs the beverage another time. What in the blazes? Brek stands up and packs the small bird at its beak.

Do you WANT to get us into trouble? Brek asks. Kabran is already pissed that we helped you out. Why insult him in his town with us at your side. Come Mosk, we have to work again. Both get up and leave the tent. At the exit, Brek adds. Thanks for the drinks. If you need us, just ask Betsy where we are.
    "Duly noted" Drastia says in a bubbly tone "Sorry for the bad act, but I will keep in mind good friends. I wish you both well. And thank you, for helping us help them." she bows as they leave.

Drastia then goes flying to the Freak Show, as she isn't yet hungry. "Maybe I'll find some like minds. I think Caroline is there, I hope she doesn't get into more trouble than I did... Oh who am I kidding?" she says picking up speed towards the Freak Show tent.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Clover, however, finds himself to be famished, and orders a plate of mutton after seeing off his new orcish pals. As he waits, he pulls a grape out from his vest pocket, and crushes it over his tankard as a he hums a short ditty, changing the liquid within from a light brown, to a dark red. He looks over at a stranger and gives an impromptu toast, before downing the spirit.

Spoiler
    Show
    Clover casts Tears to Wine on his drink, giving him a +2 enhancement bonus to INT and WIS-based skills for 40 minutes

Spoiler: Clover's Mini Stats
    Show
    Clover
    Satyr Skald 4 (Urban/Totemic Skald)
    HP 31 / 31 Speed 40 ft Init 3
    AC 19 Fort 7 Ref 5 Will 5
    CMB +5 BAB 3
    Edda's Gift (Longbow) +1 [DA] +7[+6] (1d8+3[+5], x3)
    Arrows: 20/20
    Masterwork Longsword [PA] +6[+5] (1d8+2(+3)[+4(+6)], 19-20)
    Dagger +6 (1d4+2, 19-20)
    Str 14 (2) Dex 16 (3) Con 14 (2) Wis 10 (0) Int 14 (2) Cha 16 (3)
    Perception +9*

Spells Remaining:
    Level 1: 1/4
    Level 2: 2/2
    Current Effects:
    *Tears to Wine (40 mins)

Used Items:

Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2019-01-07 at 03:28 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

After hearing the big guy in the back threatening to smash him, Logan casts vanish on himself. He slips outside the tent carefully, avoiding bumping into anybody.
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 2019-01-07 at 04:07 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Caroline sighs and rubs her eyes.

"I know Kouran, but sometimes the group gets too deep into their cups and forget the rest."

She listens to Betsy and nods.

"I understand, ma'am. None of you should put yourselves in undue danger. Just know that we're here for you, and we're working to make things better."

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Therin on the other hand keeps back to the back of the crowd himself, doing what he could to avoid actually bringing any attention to himself. Tsk. Anyone could easily tell that trying to go in this alone is going to be pretty crazy to begin with. He had already taking a bit of a hit himself, and was still recovering from the time he got bounced. The Ettin, the crowd, the sword swallower, the fat lady and her skinny husband, and the ring leader. Any of those people could be prepared to commit violence, or otherwise act to prevent the dog-girl's escape. And now she's marked, which likely means that the Ringleader is going to take his anger out on her.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

perception(1d20+5)[25]

Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

"Heard an interesting story from one of the carneys. Who knows if it's true or not, but apparently 'the early winter started on the same day Namdrin Quinn entered the Darkmoon Vale. People say his wife wasn't just murdered, but her soul was stolen by an evil fey witch.' He also told me he saw 'shadows and small creatures walking about the carnival tents at night. Small creatures, no bigger than a gnome, with the legs of a cricket, and the upper body of an elf.' Sounds bizarre to me, but he seemed sober enough at the time, and I suppose stranger things have happened."

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Citrus View Post
    "Duly noted" Drastia says in a bubbly tone "Sorry for the bad act, but I will keep in mind good friends. I wish you both well. And thank you, for helping us help them." she bows as they leave.

Drastia then goes flying to the Freak Show, as she isn't yet hungry. "Maybe I'll find some like minds. I think Caroline is there, I hope she doesn't get into more trouble than I did... Oh who am I kidding?" she says picking up speed towards the Freak Show tent.
    As you enter, you see Logan antagonizing a big creature with a burlap sack in one hand. Aside, there is a little girl with a dog head silently sobbing...howling? .... being sad. A water bowl is in front of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromascope3D View Post
    Clover, however, finds himself to be famished, and orders a plate of mutton after seeing off his new orcish pals. As he waits, he pulls a grape out from his vest pocket, and crushes it over his tankard as a he hums a short ditty, changing the liquid within from a light brown, to a dark red. He looks over at a stranger and gives an impromptu toast, before downing the spirit.

Spoiler
    Show
    Clover casts Tears to Wine on his drink, giving him a +2 enhancement bonus to INT and WIS-based skills for 40 minutes

Spoiler: Clover's Mini Stats
    Show
    Clover
    Satyr Skald 4 (Urban/Totemic Skald)
    HP 31 / 31 Speed 40 ft Init 3
    AC 19 Fort 7 Ref 5 Will 5
    CMB +5 BAB 3
    Edda's Gift (Longbow) +1 [DA] +7[+6] (1d8+3[+5], x3)
    Arrows: 20/20
    Masterwork Longsword [PA] +6[+5] (1d8+2(+3)[+4(+6)], 19-20)
    Dagger +6 (1d4+2, 19-20)
    Str 14 (2) Dex 16 (3) Con 14 (2) Wis 10 (0) Int 14 (2) Cha 16 (3)
    Perception +9*

Spells Remaining:
    Level 1: 1/4
    Level 2: 2/2
    Current Effects:
    *Tears to Wine (40 mins)

Used Items:

The wine oddly enough clears your mind instead of clouding it. You find the perfect spot of awareness enhancing inebriation. Along with the hearty meal and the copious amount of wine, you are assume the better half of the next hour will be blissful.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    After hearing the big guy in the back threatening to smash him, Logan casts vanish on himself. He slips outside the tent carefully, avoiding bumping into anybody.
    The ettin laughs Hahaha, coward. I stronger than puny orc with no nose. He beats his own broad naked chest with his arms, slapping his burlap sack close to his privates. Stop it! you can the sack shout faintly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    Caroline sighs and rubs her eyes.

"I know Kouran, but sometimes the group gets too deep into their cups and forget the rest."

She listens to Betsy and nods.

"I understand, ma'am. None of you should put yourselves in undue danger. Just know that we're here for you, and we're working to make things better."
    And I appreciate that. But many young lads tried to rescue us, usually incited by their favorite "lover". she marks the lover with air quotes. One even took Kabran's nose. Bloodeye then took his ... she points at no area in particular between the legs. Be well prepared, and be prepared for underhanded maneuvers.

Quote Originally Posted by Triskavanski View Post
    Therin on the other hand keeps back to the back of the crowd himself, doing what he could to avoid actually bringing any attention to himself. Tsk. Anyone could easily tell that trying to go in this alone is going to be pretty crazy to begin with. He had already taking a bit of a hit himself, and was still recovering from the time he got bounced. The Ettin, the crowd, the sword swallower, the fat lady and her skinny husband, and the ring leader. Any of those people could be prepared to commit violence, or otherwise act to prevent the dog-girl's escape. And now she's marked, which likely means that the Ringleader is going to take his anger out on her.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

perception[roll0]

Your keen eyes see that only the Ettin and a few of the stronger lumberjacks could prove a challenge. No one else has a particular walk of a warrior to him. They still could be capable of magic, though.

"Heard an interesting story from one of the carneys. Who knows if it's true or not, but apparently 'the early winter started on the same day Namdrin Quinn entered the Darkmoon Vale. People say his wife wasn't just murdered, but her soul was stolen by an evil fey witch.' He also told me he saw 'shadows and small creatures walking about the carnival tents at night. Small creatures, no bigger than a gnome, with the legs of a cricket, and the upper body of an elf.' Sounds bizarre to me, but he seemed sober enough at the time, and I suppose stranger things have happened."
    A small beady eyed kid overhears your conversation, staring towards you. Before it can start to ask you things, its friends pull it away. Haven't you heard? That knight took an orc's nose right off. He just married the red head and now he is making babies! The children giggle though the one kid looks at Kouran in both admiration and fear.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Drastia in her Lyre form sees Logan turning Invisible, and assesses the situation.

"That girl must be in trouble, no way would Therin disappear unless he really needs to run away. And judging from that Giant, that's who he wants to keep away from." She thought to herself. She tries to see any other ally in the crowd before she makes a decision. "There is no chance of me defeating a giant, and I haven't enough spells to get that poor thing away from here, if any of the others are around and contact me I'll do my best to aid."

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception Logan
    1d20 Perception spot Logan = (18) = 18

Not wanting to cause him to be spotted in the middle of hostile territory Drastia remains at the entrance until either Logan or Therin notices her and lets her in on a scheme to recuse the poor dog girl from her abusive ring master.
    Last edited by Wind-Up Citrus; 2019-01-09 at 11:44 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

Logan whispers softly “I’m right here, but I don’t have a battle plan...”
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 2019-01-10 at 12:24 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

"We're doing nothing of the sort. And me, a knight?" Kouran laughed. With the children's attention on him, he felt he ought to give them the 'right' advice rather than talking up his drinking and swashbuckling exploits. "I'm not a knight, just a guy who wanted to make the world a better place by sticking up for those who can't do it alone—and you don't have to do it by fighting. I just do because that's what I'm good at, but I always try talking first. Orcs aren't all bad, by the way, but that one in particular is. I'd avoid him; he's sure to be in a bad mood now. And I know that look—was there something you wanted to ask me? he asked the kid who first approached.
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2019-01-10 at 02:32 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

The oldest and boldest one says: My dad says orcs eat small boys who don't finish their supper. but now I know how to defeat them and I don't have to eat my vegetables anymore! He tries to fence with a stick as if it where a rapier. Then he comes closer and whispers into ear. Will you defeat the witch? I am scared.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Logan whispers softly “I’m right here, but I don’t have a battle plan...”
    Drastia whispers back "Therin is with us too, maybe us three are able to provide the canine female much needed assistance. I can still make both of you stronger and tougher, use my vines to disable the giant and Mists to give us and the girl cover to escape. I'm open to suggestions."
    Last edited by Wind-Up Citrus; 2019-01-10 at 08:14 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

The oldest and boldest one says: My dad says orcs eat small boys who don't finish their supper. but now I know how to defeat them and I don't have to eat my vegetables anymore! He tries to fence with a stick as if it where a rapier. Then he comes closer and whispers into ear. Will you defeat the witch? I am scared.
    "What witch? Where?" Kouran whispered back. "Tell me everything you know."

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Drastia whispers back "Therin is with us too, maybe us three are able to provide the canine female much needed assistance. I can still make both of you stronger and tougher, use my vines to disable the giant and Mists to give us and the girl cover to escape. I'm open to suggestions."
    ”If I were tougher and stonger, I could try sneaking behind the Ettin later and attacking him when the crowd is starting to disperse. We have no ideas what allies may lie in the crowd.”

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

You are not sure if a tent full of smoke would not suddenly create a minor panic. On one side, people could think it is part of the show, on the other side, the shouting already made a few audience members protective of their families and fearful.

"What witch? Where?" Kouran whispered back. "Tell me everything you know."
    The boy looks confused. The secret one you just talked about. Don't worry, it is safe with me. He winks at you, but looks worried. He thinks it is a game you are playing on him.

”If I were tougher and stonger, I could try sneaking behind the Ettin later and attacking him when the crowd is starting to disperse. We have no ideas what allies may lie in the crowd.”
    All said and done, the Ettin looks far tougher than Kabran, and the orc did not go down to a flaming ray to the face plus his arms are far longer and his stride looks like he can catch you more easily too. You reckon you need an exit strategy if you were to attack.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

”We need to come up with an exit plan, as well.