New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Cayden's Cheerful Company; Chapter 1: Carnival of Tears

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    Caroline is hurriedly scribbling down notes.

"Fire... music... blunt instruments... does anyone have any further questions? We should hurry back."
    Never forget. They are still fey. Their nature is capricious, but the presence of iron unsettles them, so weapons made to maintain their natural purity harm us.

Spoiler
    Show
    Basically she is saying: Pack cold iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Athaleon View Post
    "Makes a grim sort of sense, this. If the Winter Fey wanted to grow their realm, they would act to spread hate and selfishness. The gods only know what bankers and petty tyrants they've whispered to over the ages..." Kouran was a little flabbergasted by everything, in spite of knowing they were going to the Fey realm to meet one of their queens. "I've got a million questions, but unless there's something Lady Syntira wants to add, we've got to get back and warn the folk at the carnival—they've a better chance with clubs and torches in hand than to get caught by surprise."
    Find the one shackled to his lover, and tell him you destroyed the Eye of Rapture. It holds his wife's soul. If she is free, he is no forced into inaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromascope3D View Post
    Clover finally finds his tongue, having been struck dumb by the halcyon beauty before and around him, and having felt the slightest pang of nostalgia in his breast. Shaking himself out of his stupor, he approached the dryad and kissed her hand. Solemnly, unconsciously, he found himself asking in their shared tongue, "My Lady, your people, our kinsman. Is there any chance their hearts can be thawed? That they might dance under the moon and stars yet again?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    He's gonna speak in sylvan cuz that's how fey do. Also going to take 10 on every roll except the alchemy/herbalist check, though that doesn't really matter at this point. :P
    Feuch ri Eye of Rapture a sgrios. Ma tha thu ro shlaodach, tha bean Namdrin air chall agus cuiridh e an coire ort. Chaidh Jeva a thionndadh leam. Gus do dhearbhadh. Chaidh Jeva a thionndadh leam. Gus do dhearbhadh.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

The satyr nods, "I understand. It will be done my lady."

He turns to the others, "She tells me that Quinn's wife yet lives, and that we might have a chance to avoid greater tragedy. But, we must hurry."

Surreptitiously, as he turns to leave, he whispers in Drastia's ear,
    Spoiler: In Sylvan
    Show
    "Let us keep this between ourselves, for now." He didn't know if she had overheard, but it wouldn't hurt to cover that base.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

He turns to the others, "She tells me that Quinn's wife yet lives, and that we might have a chance to avoid greater tragedy. But, we must hurry."

Show
    "Let us keep this between ourselves, for now." He didn't know if she had overheard, but it wouldn't hurt to cover that base.
    Drastia whispers back in a slightly annoyed tone.
    Show
    "Understood. The others would not be so keen to lend aid to our Fair Lady should they be aware of our secrets. I am not found of her ways but the Cold Rider takes priority."
    Last edited by Wind-Up Citrus; 2019-01-23 at 01:04 AM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: What I’m responding to
    Show

Show

Logan thought briefly about asking a question, but decided not to. Lives were on the line after all, and there wasn’t a second to lose. Briefly revealing himself as a nonhuman by deactivating his cap for a few seconds before reactivating it, Logan said ”I know as much as anybody that people can change. I have so many questions, but I think we should hurry. If we return here, can we contact you once more?”

Logan waits a moment for an answer, but if he doesn’t get one, he starts running back towards the carnival. If he does get one, he just replies “I understand.” before running back to the carnival.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    Spoiler: What I’m responding to
    Show

Logan thought briefly about asking a question, but decided not to. Lives were on the line after all, and there wasn’t a second to lose. Briefly revealing himself as a nonhuman by deactivating his cap for a few seconds before reactivating it, Logan said ”I know as much as anybody that people can change. I have so many questions, but I think we should hurry. If we return here, can we contact you once more?”

Logan waits a moment for an answer, but if he doesn’t get one, he starts running back towards the carnival. If he does get one, he just replies “I understand.” before running back to the carnival.
    Calling you here from the First World took much of my power. Once you leave you will not be able to contact me again until the sun dawns on the next day. I can however aid you otherwise. She proceeds to remove a twig from the tree she is bound to. Use this twig to replenish your energy during the fight. You need only to break it in twain and its magic will ease your mind and body. Use it well, spawn of the devils. she says to you despite the fact you are using your illusion magic to hide your true self.

Now go and save the town. May Cayden be proud of your deeds and drink to your safety.

Spoiler
    Show
    Breaking the twig allows you to rest once on the carnival.

As you hurry back and leave the grove. The stars shine bright on this moonlit night. The moon's light glitters on the snow like ghosts dancing in the dark. On the lake visitors revel and rejoice and stomp to the music of a polka played by a group of grig that abuse their instruments:

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU-151FsMQE

A gong is sounded and dozens of colorful rockets suddenly shoot into the night sky, where they explode in clouds of multi colored sparks that slowly descends. While the sparks fly in the wind, an almost invisible fog seems to raise. The grigs play a slower tune:

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF7CpyIwJiY

The grig stand there with faces of fearful expectation. As the sparks descend on the carnival, they turn into leeches raining down on the crowd with wet sounds.

As the fireworks show ends and you finally reach the carnival, most of its carnival workers are dead. At the ticket booth you can see a bunch of ice covered brownies who decorated the booth with the skin of their victims. They are handing out the tongues and fingers to enchanted visitors. They also hand out small lollipops to kids that suspiciously look like human eye balls. If you enter the grounds and ignore the brownies, which don't seem to be killing nor seem to mind your presence, you can hear loud whirring and buzzing to the tent on your right, the tent of inventions. To your left you can see a few large trees that have grown out of the ale tent, and straight ahead there is the titan wheel.

The wheel has changed drastically. Without its colorful decorations it now looks like an oversized torture device only the most heinous of inquisitors would use. There are already corpses shackled to the wheel, or rather halves of them. At the front, people are tempted into turning the wheel while at the back brownies lure people to 'watch' the machinery from 'within'. The next fool to turn the wheel is an old friend called Jasell. I'm gonna crush your score! he exclaims talking to some other lumberjack. On the backside, a boy familiar to Kouran is lured inside. It is fascinating. the brownie goads. Yes, interesting. the kid repeats that Kouran scolded about not dealing with half-orcs.

Do you stop the brownies at the entrance, investigate the ale tent, invention tent or stop the giant wheel?
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-01-24 at 09:19 AM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

"OI, stop that!" Clover calls at the brownies, though he doesn't stop, instead drawing his bow as he runs. Grisly as the scene may be, they were still brownies, and he didn't think it likely that they would attack a group of warriors such as they, and it may be that more pressing foes lurk inside. He had already imbibed the tonic that had been gifted to him, though he wasn't sure how it was going to protect him. Just in case, he hummed a tune to steady his confidence, and his aim for when it would be needed.

Show
    Clover is going combine drawing his bow as he runs, and then casts Heroism on himself.

Spoiler: Clover's Mini Stats
    Show
    Clover
    Satyr Skald 4 (Urban/Totemic Skald)
    HP 31 / 31 Speed 40 ft Init 3
    AC 19 Fort 9* Ref 7* Will 7*
    CMB +5 BAB 3
    Edda's Gift (Longbow) +1 [DA] +9*[+8*] (1d8+3[+5], x3)
    Arrows: 20/20
    Masterwork Longsword [PA] +8*[+7*] (1d8+2(+3)[+4(+6)], 19-20)
    Dagger +8* (1d4+2, 19-20)
    Str 14 (2) Dex 16 (3) Con 14 (2) Wis 10 (0) Int 14 (2) Cha 16 (3)
    Perception +9*

Spells Remaining:
    Level 1: 1/4
    Level 2: 1/2
    Current Effects:
    *Heroism (40 mins)

Used Items:

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

You scan the area, and see the snow tainted with the blood of innocents all around the wheel. To the south-east there is a small pit with many humanoid guts spilled into it. The fey are making quick work of the human visitors, and as Kouran tries to prevent further damage, Clover charges in casting a spell. As you make apparent, you not only see through the ruse of the fey, but also can cast spells, they shout in a foreign language:

Bhris an t-iongnadh, chuir an t-uisgeachadh fiosaichean! Gut iad, cuir iad orra!

The entranced humans ignore you completely, some even laugh at you, assuming they think you are some kind of theater troupe or attraction. Jasell is boasting he is going to crush this competition while the Brownie next to Kouran takes a comical amount of run up to kick the kid into the gears of the machine.

The grig also notice you and switch up their music before taking any combative measures: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMTXiNVc-1g

Spoiler
    Show
    Second battle map: check if you are happy with your starting point and switch it up if you are not.

Block initiative:
    Drastia 22
    Logan 21

Grig 19
    Kouran 16
    Brownies 13
    Caroline 12
    Therin 12
    Clover 7
    (though Clover starts off the combat with his cast' spell)

next up: Drastia, Logan (please post within the next 24 hours).

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Drastia draws her shortbow and fires at the Dark Ice Brownie closest to Kouran.

She yelled at the Brownies in their tongue with the indignant sounds of one who sees what started as pranksters now attempting to become murderers.

Show
    "How dare you try to harm a child?!"

Spoiler: Damage and Hit Roll
    Show

1d20+11 shoot L6 Brownie with Shortbow = (15)+5 = 20
    1d6-1 Bow Arrow Damage = (6)-1 = 5
    Last edited by Wind-Up Citrus; 2019-01-27 at 10:58 AM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Unsure what to do, Logan continues to look onto the spectacle. The grig use the opportunity to slow your advance down. One fiddles like there is no tomorrow, trying to entrance Clover in its rhythm, forcing him to stop and dance. The other waves its hands in an upward motion, making long-dead tree roots under the ice push upwards and stop you dead in your tracks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Grig on the left casts Entangle (DC 13 Reflex) is the light green area.
    Grig on the right casts: Irresistible Dance (DC 12 Will save or as long as the creature plays; you may advise your friends to kill the grig to interrupt the dance though)

Next up: Kouran and Logan again
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-01-29 at 06:23 AM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

Kouran tried to grab the oblivious child by the wrist even as he lashed out at the brownie with a savage thrust of his rapier.

Spoiler
    Show

5' step to K7.
    If the kid actually tries to avoid being grabbed, Kouran won't spend an action to try Grappling. Instead he'll attack the Dark Ice Brownie at L6.

Power Attack: (1d20+9)[14]
    Damage: (1d6+14)[18]

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Chaos! Mayhem! the brownies shout, revelling in the first few seconds of the battle. All except the fey Kouran and Drastia. He jumps a few feet back making Kouran's attack miss by a big margin and tries to grab the kid but you pull the boy further away. With fear in his eyes, the brownie evaporates in a cloud of glittering ice crystals and reappears at the east end of the carnival.

The other brownies call down a protective vile miasma, all while making faces at you, or rude gestures. All except the one to Therin's front. His very being blasts you with another illusion meant to cloud your minds.

Spoiler
    Show
    C8, L8 and F6 cast Protection from Good. E8 casts Confusion on Therin, Clover, Caroline, Logan and Drastia and even his ally, just because it seems funny to him. Will save DC 17 to avoid being confused.

Caroline realizes her Cayhounds cannot attack the brownies. But that might not be so bad because they are extremely quick anyway.

Next up: Drastia, Caroline (again), Clover, Therin
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-01-29 at 06:25 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

The world span but in a strange fit of luck the vines holding her down were just the things to ground her in reality. Upon seeing a pair of Brownies surrounding Therin she lets the frustration of the day's woes envelop her eyes, and lets loose a Burning Gaze at an unfortunate Brownie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Drastia moves to A5

Drastia attacks Dark Ice Brownie B8 with Burning Gaze.
    Last edited by Wind-Up Citrus; 2019-01-30 at 05:46 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Will saving throw
    Show
    (1d20+2)[18]

pending results

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Caroline whispers something in Ignan as she works her way through the grasping plants. A spark ignites behind one of the brownies ganging up on Therin and in an instant there's a roughly man-shaped blaze bearing down on it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Caroline moves to G4. 1 arcane pool point spent to summon a Small Fire Elemental in E8. It flanks with Therin attacks the adjacent Brownie with a thirteen. On a hit the brownie takes 3 bludgeoning damage and must make a DC 13 reflex save vs Burn.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

As soon as the fire elemental appeared on the otherside of the dark creature before Therin, he sprung into action. With a swift swing of his walking stick, he went for the beasty's legs, bringing his tankard down on its head.

Show

Trip attack with Hanbo - Dual Wielding so it take a heavy penalty right now.
    To hit with a hanbo, it starts off at +3, +2 for having the maneuver feat, +5 from flaking, dirtyfighting, and militia trained
    (1d20+10)[21] vs CMD Trip

The Tankard on the other hand doesn't get as many goodies, and starts off at -2, +3 from flanking/Militia Trained
    (1d20+1)[20] vs AC -4 if the trip went through.

Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sorry to do this, cousin, don't have much choice now, it seems," Clover steps back from the brownie hindering him, drawing his sword in an instant. He blows a few chords on his pipes, before breaking out into a chant, "Ah, the ville of Falcon's Hollow, beset on every side. Cayden's Five, by dryad's favor, set and sallied forth..."

Show
    Clover 5 foot steps to F4, sheathes his bow, and draws his sword using Quick Draw. He then begins his Raging Song, giving everyone a +2 to DEX and STR

Show
    Clover
    AC 19 Fort 9* Ref 7* Will 7*
    CMB +5 BAB 3
    Masterwork Longsword [PA] +8*[+7*] (1d8+2(+3)[+4(+6)], 19-20)
    Str 14 (2) {16 (3)} Dex 16 (3) {18 (4)} Con 14 (2) Wis 10 (0) Int 14 (2) Cha 16 (3)
    Perception +9*

Spells Remaining:
    Current Effects:
    *Heroism (40 mins)
    {Raging Song

Used Items:

Used Abilities:
    Raging Song: 2/16 rounds used[/B]

Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2019-01-31 at 09:58 AM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Gah! Fire! the tiny clawed fey monster shouts when Caroline summons a Fire Elemental amidst the icy winter night. The summon misses but provides enough distraction to allow Therin to trip the fast critter up and bonk it on the head with his tankard. Rude! Rude drunk idiot.

Meanwhile Drastia just looks really really menacingly at the Brownie threatening Clover. He tries to look away but can't help but meet your gaze. My mother in law looks just the same! it exclaims before going up in flames.

And the podium the left grig twinkles out of existence, but you are sure this was no teleport but another illusion. The right grig however summons the full force of winter and touches Logan's stomach. Waves of cold energy blast into the tiefling, numbing his whole body.

Between all of that you just hear Jasell: How long until you have fixed the machine?

Spoiler
    Show
    Crunch:
    Logan takes 5 dexterity damage
    Therin's trip is successful, as is the follow up attack.
    Drastia's gaze hits home as well, though all Caroline's flaming friend does is provide distraction.

Next up: Kouran, Logan

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

Kouran moved to keep himself between the evil fey and the child he was protecting, and jabbed again with his rapier. This time he tried a better-aimed thrust at his nimble opponent.

Spoiler
    Show

5' step to K8 and attack the brownie again. Not using Power Attack this time.

Attack: (1d20+11)[18]
    Damage: (1d6+10)[12]

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

The battle gets increasingly chaotic. Drastia's target jumps about, eventually quenching its flames in a pile of snow, accompanied by a sizzling noise and a pronounced Aaaaah. Part of its melted body reforms in the icy winter night, and Clover can see a murderous glint in its eyes. Show's over, goatse. he stabs and slices at the satyr with his shortsword and claw. The sword connects, dealing 1 point of piercing and 1 point of cold damage. It then shifts a bit away from Drastia, hoping she would maybe pick another target. In frenzied rage, the brownie behind Therin slashes at him dealing 1 point of piercing and 6 points of cold damage. Its blade almost does not pierce his armor but it dents it a bit, instantly chilling it to the point of pain. No amount of padding helps, the mithril's chains burn themselves into your flesh. He then shifts to the left, bumping into a lumberjack. Those 'heroes' are attacking hapless carnies. Help us. As the word heroes is mentioned, Jasell charges Therin, trying to push him away from the 'carnie'. He succeeds and pushes Therin back, though he is 'caught' by Caroline.

Next up: everyone except Kouran.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Drastia stares disapprovingly at the Brownie in the fey thicket with Burning Gaze.

Spoiler
    Show
    2nd Burning Gaze of 4 at B8 Brownie.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

Logan had been dazed from the sheer destruction and evil taking place in front of him. Mere children shorn in half by monsterous fey and the unwitting cannibalism of the circus’s guest had made him slow to act. Deciding not to kill the fey since at least one needed to be captured and interrogated, Logan tried to nonlethally wound his enemies so at least 1-2 of them could be captured and asked questions. At least one of them could be redeemed, hopefully. Finding the nearest grig, he smacks it. He doesn’t say a word.

Spoiler: smack
    Show
    To hit: (1d20+5)[20]
    nonlethal: (1d4+6)[9]
    sneak attack (if applicable): (1d6)[4]

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

"Settle down, all of you," shouts Caroline, and she flings a ball of glitter into the midst of several enemies. It explodes in a blinding flash, coating them all in shimmering sparkles. Her elemental continues its assault on it's prey.

Spoiler
    Show
    Glitterdust, which I should be able to place to hit Jassell, two Dark Ice Brownies, and a Lumberjack while leaving the fire elemental in an empty corner. Will DC is 18. Fire elemental slam (1d20+5)[11] against a hopefully blinded brownie, (1d4)[2] damage and Reflex DC 13 to avoid Burn.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Clover shifts his stance, grabbing the pommel of his sword with his other hand and bringing the blade down on the brownie, all while continuing his song, "...The Winter's Court, come at last, many townsfolk had yet died. Cayden's Heroes rode to meet them; The scourge come from the North."

Spoiler
    Show
    Clover two hands his sword and power attacks the brownie next to him.
    (1d20+8)[23] Attack (After PA with +2 STR)
    (1d8+7)[15] Damage (With PA and +2 STR)

Show
    Clover
    AC 19{20} Fort 9* Ref 7* Will 7*
    CMB +5 BAB 3
    Masterwork Longsword [PA] +8*[+7*] (1d8+3(+4)[+4(+6)], 19-20)
    Str 14 (2) {16 (3)} Dex 16 (3) {18 (4)} Con 14 (2) Wis 10 (0) Int 14 (2) Cha 16 (3)
    Perception +9*

Spells Remaining:
    Current Effects:
    *Heroism (40 mins)
    {Raging Song}

Used Items:

Used Abilities:
    Raging Song: 3/16 rounds used[/B]

Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2019-02-05 at 11:27 AM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

Before the little beasty manages to escape, as it stands Therin smacks it again with his stick.

Spoiler
    Show

AOO
    (1d20+6)[15]
    (1d6+3)[6] blugdeoning

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

The fight continues and everyone is covered in glittering particles. They make the snow especially enchanting, and all around confuse everyone in its spread. And while the lumberjacks are confused and scream in agony from the snow blindness, the winter fey are used to the glittering snow in their realms. Further in the east, Clover chops the first fey clean in two after it sidesteps and jumps into his blade. Drastia looks menacingly at another brownie, and while it seems he resists at first, the poor sap is now confused, entangled AND on fire.

Meanwhile, a grig appears behind Kouran. The same shivering touch connects with the hero that slowed down his ally Logan as he takes 1 dexterity damage. The other grig dodging Logan's attacks steps off the podium into the air, flies and becomes invisible.

Next up: everyone as I let all monsters move on the same initiative.
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-02-07 at 03:59 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

Kouran reacted in a flash as the grig appeared behind him, swatting aside its icy touch and putting it down with an instinctive riposte. Perhaps the grig didn't expect such a quick counter, assuming it had taken its target by surprise; Kouran's next thrust once again missed the brownie he'd been trying to hit.

Spoiler
    Show

Parry & Riposte and regular attack all rolled in Discord.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sorry again, cousin," Clover apologizes over his kinsman's body. He looks about, the battle seems to be faring quite poorly. He looks over to the skirmish in the west, and notes their summoned ally.

"If only we had more firepower like that..." he acknowledges, before his eyes look past, over to the tent beyond. In that moment, he is struck by revelation. He snaps his fingers, and dashes off towards the melee.

"Think we need some good stiff drinks, don't you?" He sings to Caroline and Therin as he passes them by, stepping around another of his corrupted fellows and ducking into the ale tent.

Show
    Clover takes a double move action to A5 and then to the ale tent. He's still maintaining his song.
    (1d20+12)[22] Acrobatics to avoid AoO

Show
    Clover
    HP 29 / 31 Speed 40 ft Init 3
    AC 19{20} Fort 9* Ref 7* Will 7*
    CMB +5 BAB 3
    Masterwork Longsword [PA] +8*[+7*] (1d8+3(+4)[+4(+6)], 19-20)
    Perception +9*

Spells Remaining:
    Current Effects:
    *Heroism (40 mins)
    {Raging Song}

Used Items:

Used Abilities:
    Raging Song: 4/16 rounds used[/B]

28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Drastia notices that the Grig and Brownies aren't staying dead. Upon realizing that her number of damaging spells are dwindling, and escape is currently not on the table she attempts to break free. Sadly the roots held firm.

Spoiler
    Show
    1d20-1 Strength break free of Entanglement = (1)-1 = 0

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

"Aye, Lets show them a party!" he says moving up to jasell "Sorry mate, but to open your eyes, need you to close them."

Show
    Dirty Trick maneuver: (1d20+12)[20] to blind Jasell

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Caroline whispers words of power and frothy, bubbling grease bursts up beneath the feat of her enemies.
    Spoiler: Grease
    Show
    DC 17 Reflex save vs grease in the D9 to E10 square.

The fire elemental continues to pursue it's prey, lashing out with a fiery fist.
    Spoiler: FIRE PUNCH
    Show
    Attacking the brownie in D9. (1d20+5)[18](1d4+2)[5] 13 Reflex vs Burn.
    Last edited by Rokku; 2019-02-11 at 04:59 PM.