New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default If you could gain one class level (3.5 or PF1) in real life, what would you pick?

This is a discussion I've had with my gaming friends in real life many times.

1. If you were presented with a pop-up in real life that simply said, "You have gained a level! You are now level 1 (Max). Please make your selection." What would you pick? If all options from 3.5 and PF1 (including archetypes), including alternate class features, and all compatible 3pp printed material (such as Dreamscarred Press, Legendary Games, Dragon Magazine, etc.) what would you select?
    2. Additionally, why would you make that choice? Just for the cool factor? Maybe because it would help you in everyday life?
    3. Assume the level-up includes a redistribution of base attributes via a 15-point-buy. You get all the racial benefits of a Human (normal or valid alternative racial features) of whatever system your class is selected from and get to select 2 Traits from the same system as well.
    4. You've no idea why or how you got this level, and you have no way of knowing whether or not you'll ever receive another but the '(Max)' tag seems to indicate it will be the only one, so you can only assume that this single level is the only one you'll ever get and will have to make it count.

So...what do you end up with, and why? :)

Spoiler: My 1 Level Choice
    Show
    Personally, I would go with a Pathfinder option:

Class (Archetype): Aegis (Integrator)
    Level 1 Feat: Extra Customization
    Human Feat: Basic Magic Training
    Trait 1: Forgesoul Armor [Combat]
    Trait 2: Magic Wardrobe [Magic]
    15 Point-Buy: Str 12, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 12.

The reason would be Sheer adaptability and money-making potential.
    • The setup starts with 5 Customization Points & 2 Robot Upgrades (which can be used to get an additional 4 Customization Points for a total of 9), which would give me access to a very wide variety of different powers and abilities, reconfigurable every day. One of those customizations would always be 'Lesser Shape Veil' in order to shape the Goldhoard Vestments veil.
    • I would unlock the Warp sphere with Basic Magic Training, taking the Bender drawback to get the Extradimensional Storage talent for free, and use 1 customization point from Aegis to get the Bonus Talent customization to select Extradimensional Storage talent a second time for the full 25lbs storage at level 1, and the ability to fully utilize the Magic Wardrobe trait as a very neat party/magic trick, as well as a secret/hidden smuggling space.
    • I could use the Aegis class ability 'Astral Repair' to repair any and all broken or old worn-out items to factory fresh new, and then use the Goldhoard Vestments veil to convert it to 1/2 its market value in gold. Junk yards, garage sales, ebay, etc. Buy any and all 'It's ruined or broken, but if it were still brand new, it would be worth a pretty penny' items, convert to gold, use gold to buy more 'junk'.
    • It wouldn't take long before I could open my own pawn shop and make bank for the rest of my life until I felt like retiring. And in the meantime, I'd have lots of abilities to play with for fun.
    • Add in some of the wacky customization options like Psibertech Mimicry, Mech Enhancements (like Transformation, which lets you turn into several different vehicles and Mech types), a built-in at-will ranged attack, ones that grant bonuses to Str, Dex, and/or Con, or even Robot Upgrades like built-in self-regenerating rockets, the ability to control or speak with technology, or the ability to suddenly speak any language after a minute of observation, etc and you've got yourself a party.
    Last edited by Geeksthenewsexy; 2023-09-29 at 04:28 PM.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, loses the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: If you could gain one class level (3.5 or PF1) in real life, what would you pick?

Hmmm...

There are many options that immediate come to mind and is quickly narrowed down to a select few once any amount of thought is put into the how and why these options are available. I could take the approach to the situation that many of us do when playing a video game or tabletop where there is a certain level of separation between us and the game world. But I would not. I'd treat it as an incredibly serious decision, bringing all manner of real life repercussions and consequences into it.

How does that work? Well... Immediately we have confirmation of the existence of deities (or beings powerful enough to convince mortals they are deities). We have the objective existence of good and evil, law and chaos. Confirmation of the existence of souls and the afterlife(s). Suddenly, arcane magic is very real and people will have the ability to alter the fabric of the universe (locally for now, wider ranges later).

Keeping all of this in mind... Cleric? No, I will not be a servant of a being that plays at being a god. Wizard? No, I cannot be trusted with that kind of power without restrictions. Sorcerer? No, similar to wizard. Martial classes? I am not shortsighted enough to believe that levels will remain at one, nor ignorant enough to not know that a single level 1 spell could render me useless eventually. Bard? Possibly. Witch/Warlock? No, see cleric. Where does this leave me?

Spoiler
    Show
    Pathfinder Druid. Nature Fang archetype.
    Nature Bond: Crocodile domain (or another that grants a familiar).
    Race: Human (Fey magic/thoughts, Eye for Talent)
    Feat 1: Additional traits
    Trait 1: Accelerated Drinker
    Trait 2: Desperate Resolve
    Trait 3: Indomitable Faith
    Trait 4: Life of Toil
    15-point buy: Str 12, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 8
    Fey Magic (Desert): 0-Create Water, Mending, Purify Food and Drink; 1-Goodberry
    Druid Spells: 0-Create Water, Mending, Tan hide; 1-Endure Elements, Tears to Wine/Goodberry

Reasoning? Pure survivability. The sheer amount of CHAOS that will occur in the world because of this event will be astronomical. I'd immediately liquidate everything I couldn't carry with me and make my way out into the nearest desert to create an isolated grove/oasis amidst the storm that is coming. I'd be entirely self-sufficient. If and when leveling up occurs, immortality is within my grasp. When that happens, nature is making a come back and will sweep across the planet. The Earth will become the garden it was always meant to be. Until then, my grove/oasis will grow slowly until it creates its own microclimate.
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2023-10-01 at 01:06 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: If you could gain one class level (3.5 or PF1) in real life, what would you pick?

As I understand the OP, this level gain only affects you, in your real life, and nobody else. So nobody else will be able to cast spells, so you don't need to be worried about getting knocked out by a Colour Spray.

That said, to the OP I say: enjoy your new life in a secret military testing facility.

Personally idk; I don't know jack about Psionics classes so I can't take those into account, even though they seem to be hilariously frontloaded. I guess I'd be happy to become a Wizard. Oh or maybe a Witch, and give people who bug me the Evil Eye. Well something like that. IRL, WIS is my dump stat and I have to make up for that with analytical thinking (INT), so I guess I'm used to that.

Seeing how I might be nailed to level 1 indefinitely, I'd probably focus on scribing and using scrolls.

It shouldn't be a problem to become pretty rich with minimal effort if you can cast actual magic, even if it's just level 1 spells. ^^ Or as the song goes:

Und leere Taschen sind kaum ein Problem
    wer zaubern kann, der liegt nie unbequem
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Damn 6th level spells here we go.

Quote Originally Posted by thethird View Post
    Another level, another Artificer level. Mostly enjoying my 5th level spells and looking forward to 6th level spells next year, planar binding is surely going to be fun.
    --

That said Aegis (integrator) is indeed probably the most upfront customization class. I would go with Radiant though, taking a lot of archetypes (collectivist, lifebinder, and soulchemist). Focus on conjuration (taking some drawbacks for extra companions) giving them mage archetypes (for more spheres). Then take card casting drawbacks and get the multiheaded decks and end getting access to the companions spheres.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Firechanter View Post
    As I understand the OP, this level gain only affects you, in your real life, and nobody else. So nobody else will be able to cast spells, so you don't need to be worried about getting knocked out by a Colour Spray.
    I'm paranoid enough (from a long time of playing D&D) to pretty much be certain that I wouldn't be the only one benefiting from this event. And with what I know about human nature, the odds of someone making less than moral choices with their selection of abilities is almost a guarantee.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by thethird View Post
    Aegis (integrator) is indeed probably the most upfront customization class.
    In terms of wildly different options and sheer amount of those options being available at the same time, yes. But if you want to trade a little bit of the 'at any given time' variety for additional power in the abilities you do have available at any given time, I would definitely go with the Vizier class. The sheer number of veils they have access to that all do different things is very compelling, and most of their veils are more powerful even without investing essence than most Astral Suit customizations that the Aegis gets.

Taking the Spheres Vizier archetype would also open up more Spheres options, still giving you the entire Vizier veil list to choose from, plus 1 veil known of your choice from unlocking the Veilweaving Sphere, and 3 Magic Talents to spend on other magic spheres. The detriment is that you can only have 1 veil shaped at a time instead of a normal vizier's 2 at first level, but that is mitigated by the addition of 3 Magic Talents as a Spheres caster. Take Extra Combat Talent or Extra Magic Talent for both your level 1 feats and you end up with 5 Talents on top of the entire Vizier veil list of veils known (Always shaping the Aura of the Adaptable veil to mimic another veil's effects in order to be able to swap veils once with a refresh being a single hour of meditation). Opt to take a Martial tradition to unlock a free Combat Sphere or three. With drawbacks, You could end up with 10-12 talents under your belt at level 1.

I'd still go with Aegis (Integrator) for the sheer variety of techno-options you can have available all day on any given day, but Vizier (Cyborg Engineer & Sphere Vizier) is a close second pick for me for a similar reasoning - lots of versatility. Vizier is restricted to less options at a time but has the benefit of those options generally being much more powerful in their effects when compared to any single Aegis customization.

[Edit: If you wanted a blend of the two options, the Helmsman (Protonic) option has both veilweaving (albeit more limited than a vizier, but still), and an Astral Suit like a traditional Aegis (albeit with fewer customization points) that is not as good as either of the aforementioned options, but has elements of both. Taking the Basic Magic Training feat & taking a Martial Tradition would also supplement it in similar ways as the other two options I've mentioned.]
    Last edited by Geeksthenewsexy; 2023-10-02 at 11:14 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Without reaching too far into splatbooks, I feel like there's only one correct answer for these questions and it's always Cleric or Druid.

- Martial classes are easily ruled out. Being trained and athletic is already a thing you can accomplish; gaining skill in some technologically obsolete weapons is only going to be for show.
    - Hybrid classes are also ruled out. Better than martials, but you don't need that side of the skillset. May as well grab all the magic you can.
    - Sorcerer or any limited spell list class is immediately out. Way too few options.
    - Arcane classes don't seem that useful. Nice magic, but mostly offensive-slanted. We've got a pretty good spread of ways to kill each other already.

That leaves the classes that give you helpful magic and the Cleric/Druid list has that in spades, even at low levels. Create Water, Purify Food and Drink, Mending, Guidance (Be slightly better at everything you do?), Stabilize (Stop anyone from dying of non-natural causes as long as it's not instant and you can tend to them), Cure Light Wounds, Endure Elements, Read Weather, Fairness (Force someone to deal with you completely fairly, great for buying a car! Though this assumes Abadar exists.), Forbid Action, Remove Sickness, Rite of Bodily Purity (24 hours of improved disease resistance? Yes, please.)

There's just way too much useful stuff a single level of a Divine caster would get you. Assuming you only ever get one level, it's a no brainer.

Also Clerics in PF1 can be devoted to a "divine concept", so you don't necessarily need to be a servant. You just need to be dedicated to something like Good or Knowledge. I feel like enough tabletop gamers are pedantic enough to be Knowledge domain already.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonauran View Post
    I'm paranoid enough (from a long time of playing D&D) to pretty much be certain that I wouldn't be the only one benefiting from this event. And with what I know about human nature, the odds of someone making less than moral choices with their selection of abilities is almost a guarantee.
    Îf we're going by that premise, and basically preparing for the apocalypse, then actually my pick would be an Initiator. Although that might be pointless with a 15 point buy since they are a bit MAD, but I'm not looking at the stats rn. Something like a Warder with the proper ATs, disciplines and maneuvers, and I'm quite confident you can proof yourself against almost anything. Also they never run out of steam, can keep going all day like an energizer bunny.
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Aristocrat. None of this worrying about getting dragged away to a CIA black site, I just suddenly have a bunch of money and the ability to speak another sixteen languages
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

10. - Top - End - #10

RedKnightGirl

I'd lament my lack of familiarity with base 3.5 or PF classes and poor metagaming skills, and probably end up with a caster built around non-combat spells. Maybe a Bard, always wanted to be an artist.

That said if whatever force is granting the level is willing to offer 3rd party options, it might be wise to test the limits of it's definition. My stock answer for "what magic powers would you want" are the Lightbearer abilities from Destiny (versatile combat abilities + non-combat utility + literal immortality is hard to beat), but sadly the homebrew D&Destiny project is a 5e thing. That said, if you can scribble out a homebrew class and have that pass muster, you might be able to pull some nonsense.

In the "everyone gets a level" version of the thought experiment, scribbling out a "god" class on a napkin and calling it a homebrew publication is the real big brain play, although it's also asking to get smote for your hubris.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Aristocrat. None of this worrying about getting dragged away to a CIA black site, I just suddenly have a bunch of money and the ability to speak another sixteen languages
    Lesser Noble & Rich Parents traits in PF would give you an extra 1,000 starting gold. While you may not know the exact conversion rate from gold coins to real world money...that would definitely be of some financial benefit. Though, Aristocrat seems like a real waste of the class level. Even if you don't want to risk a CIA blacksite with flashy powers, there are plenty of classes that offer up internal, skill-based, or mental benefits.

Artison to simply be good at crafting things, Battle Butler to increase your own Charisma when wearing fancy clothes, Blacksmith (Iron Chef) to beat the breaks off Gordan Ramsey in the food world, etc. Any number of classes that would give you skill in athletic or other sporty pursuits if you wanted to be a pro sports player, or even give you a shot at being an Olympian athlete or winning it big on Ninja Warrior and the like without drawing government attention to yourself. And plenty of various feats to enhance whatever direction you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    In the "everyone gets a level" version of the thought experiment, scribbling out a "god" class on a napkin and calling it a homebrew publication is the real big brain play, although it's also asking to get smote for your hubris.
    I don't know... With that logic, you might just get shunted into a class level that would portray you as something that some people worship like a god. Like Sparkle Princess, Toon, or Magical Girl. Worshipped by degenerate incel discord mods and bronies everywhere, and risk getting bootleg 3d-printed figurines of your image put in jars...

Seems risky. (O_o)
    Last edited by Geeksthenewsexy; 2023-10-03 at 05:43 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Lesser Noble & Rich Parents traits in PF would give you an extra 1,000 starting gold. While you may not know the exact conversion rate from gold coins to real world money...that would definitely be of some financial benefit.
    While any attempt of converting ingame values is pretty much doomed to fail, converting actual GOLD to real world money is very straightforward. It says so right there: 1gp is 1/50 lb, or around 9 grams.
    1000 gold piece therefore simply means you now possess 9kg of gold. The current trading price for gold is around 56.000€ per kg, so congratulations, your real-world wealth is 500.000€.

On the one hand, that's not really the kind of money you'd associate with lesser nobility and rich families. On the other hand, it's way better than the 90kg of SALT this sum would allow you to buy according to the official in-game price lists (current grocery store price: 52,20€).
    Last edited by Firechanter; 2023-10-03 at 09:13 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyOfOptimists View Post
    Fairness (Force someone to deal with you completely fairly, great for buying a car! Though this assumes Abadar exists.),
    Does it work by fairness in D&D/PF terms or colloquial terms?

Because a "Fair price" in D&D is purchasing for market value and selling for half market value. Which as anyone who trades commodities and goods will tell you, is garbage.

I would go with 3.5 Rogue. Just being skilled with everything. Being decent at lying, diplomacy, translation, stage magic, Some kind of craft, General awareness, Opening Locks and Disguise? I mean, even with the starting four skill points in each that gives you a really diverse set of skills at a decent ability.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

There's only very few level 1 spells that would be really useful to me, but as an academic, I would kill for Scholar's Touch. That means Bard, Wizard, Sorcerer or Cleric.

Probably Cleric? The ability to just select from several hundred spells each morning is probably unbeatable. THough, if the stats actually change how I think and act I'd need an intelligence class to keep my job.

That leaves domains to be hunted down.

Animal could actually be nice in my job, though I guess my study organisms count as Vermin, not Animals. Celerity is not useless, as is Charm. I also like the idea of being able to make things, so maybe Craft. Or Luck. Or Pestilence? Spiders would be fun, too.

Yeah, I guess I'm going to be a Spider/Pestilence cleric. Spider for fun, because I like spiders and Pestilence so I don't die.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

15. - Top - End - #15

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Geeksthenewsexy View Post
    I don't know... With that logic, you might just get shunted into a class level that would portray you as something that some people worship like a god. Like Sparkle Princess, Toon, or Magical Girl. Worshipped by degenerate incel discord mods and bronies everywhere, and risk getting bootleg 3d-printed figurines of your image put in jars...

Seems risky.
    Quickly designing an insanely broken homebrew class of your own creation and trying to pass it off as a third party class is perhaps risky because you might make whatever's granting the level very angry, but the specific monkey's paw scenario you're describing here doesn't really follow. It's reliant on twisting the definition of 'god', a thing which I was using as shorthand for "completely overpowered" and which even if you did use is something you would be defining while designing the class.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Dragon Shaman, for the aura that heals people up to half hp. Stabilize anybody who can be saved sounds like a pretty good power.

Incarnate is also a reasonable pick, healing is more limited but you get a wide variety of floating buffs you can repick every day.

Of course, neither of those hide themselves very well. Psion is likely best combo of power and subtle.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Pathfinder Bard with the Archaeologist archetype.

Level 1 gives me +1 on all Knowledge skills, and the ability to make them untrained; "For I have taken all knowledge to be my province"
    Archaeologist's Luck gives an immediate boost to luck a few times a day... even 1 round (assuming level 1, and I don't have a Charisma bonus) would be significant.

For spells, I'd have 4 Cantrips... Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Prestidigitation. 1st level, Cure Light Wounds and, let's be honest, Unseen Servant.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I don’t know enough about PoW, SoM, or SoP to make intelligent comments on that front.

At first glance, Psychic might seem like just an oddball Int-based Sorcerer, but the Rebirth discipline makes it pretty sweet, especially at 1st level. Your 1st level discipline power is Mnemonic Esoterica. This requires you to pick a spellcasting class other than Psychic. You can change the choice every time you level up, but since we’re not sure we’ll ever level up, it’s important to lock in a good choice. Every day, you can pick one spell from that class’s spell list, and gain it as a temporary spell know, and a temporary addition to your own spell list.

I’m not sure which class to pick for the additional spell list access. Is Generic Spellcaster a valid choice? Otherwise, Hunter gives both the Druid and Ranger spells lists. Omdura gives both the Cleric and Inquisitor spell lists. Trapsmith gets some nicely-discounted spells, but the list is so small.

Then, of course, you go for the Amnesiac archetype, so you can swap out your two normal 1st level spells known on a day-to-day basis. I’d also suggest going for Magaambyan Telepath, to swap out your less-than-stellar 1st level discipline power for one 1st-level Druid spell of your choice. Sadly, unlike your other three spells known, you don’t get to change this one when you like, so you need to choose well. I’d normally suggest Entangle, but under the circumstances, maybe Cure Light Wounds instead?

I'm not yet completely sure I want to lock this in as my choice, which is why I phrased all the above paragraphs in the second person. But I'm leaning strongly towards it. I'll probably look at a few more options before I decide.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Does it work by fairness in D&D/PF terms or colloquial terms?

Because a "Fair price" in D&D is purchasing for market value and selling for half market value. Which as anyone who trades commodities and goods will tell you, is garbage.

I would go with 3.5 Rogue. Just being skilled with everything. Being decent at lying, diplomacy, translation, stage magic, Some kind of craft, General awareness, Opening Locks and Disguise? I mean, even with the starting four skill points in each that gives you a really diverse set of skills at a decent ability.
    The description of Fairness goes beyond just price. It states "Humanoid creatures affected by this spell must trade fairly with others to the best of their knowledge. If they know the fair value (or even an estimated fair value) of a good or service, they cannot participate in a trade if it would benefit one side unfairly, and must attempt to stop such trades from occurring, preventing them from cheating another while under the influence of this spell."

Essentially, they can't make a trade that unfairly benefits one party to the best of their knowledge and will actively try to stop any from occurring. It's not a perfect catch-all - it's only a first level spell - but I can see it working wonders in day-to-day life.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Probably Cleric? The ability to just select from several hundred spells each morning is probably unbeatable. THough, if the stats actually change how I think and act I'd need an intelligence class to keep my job.

That leaves domains to be hunted down.
    Knowledge Domain lets you touch any creature to "learn its abilities and weaknesses", as well as gaining all Knowledge skills as class skills. If you're studying animals of any type, it could come in handy. In addition to all the other benefits of expanded knowledge, though maybe I don't want to learn other peoples' abilities and weaknesses. Community is compelling, too. You get to touch a creature and heal it of minor wounds plus fatigued, sickened, or shaken. Removing sickened or shaken is whatever, but being able to clear fatigue would be amazing for everyday things. Didn't sleep well? Cure fatigue and have a great day! Luck is the only other domain that seems like it'd be a massive boon in regular life.
    Last edited by ArmyOfOptimists; 2023-10-03 at 02:44 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    Dragon Shaman, for the aura that heals people up to half hp. Stabilize anybody who can be saved sounds like a pretty good power.
    Considering most people would likely be considered 'commoners' and have 1d4 for HP, and even if everyone got a class, the max HP possible would be around 15ish, that power would really only shine as a doctor, EMT, or another medical professional, as you'd likely need to seek out literally dying people for it to be truly useful in everyday life, except in cases of an emergency. But, it would be pretty cool to slowly walk the halls of the local ICU for good Karma. :)

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post
    Pathfinder Bard with the Archaeologist archetype.

Level 1 gives me +1 on all Knowledge skills, and the ability to make them untrained; "For I have taken all knowledge to be my province"
    Archaeologist's Luck gives an immediate boost to luck a few times a day... even 1 round (assuming level 1, and I don't have a Charisma bonus) would be significant.

For spells, I'd have 4 Cantrips... Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Prestidigitation. 1st level, Cure Light Wounds and, let's be honest, Unseen Servant.
    In 3.5 the Dragonfire Adept gets all Knowledge skills as class skills, and you can pick an Invocation at level 1 called Draconic Knowledge that lets you make all Knowledge checks untrained, and gives you a +6 bonus to them. So, with a 14-16 Int, you could have up to a +12 or +13 in some Knowledge skills, while having a +7 to +8 in all the ones you don't bother putting ranks in. Oh, and you could breathe a bit of fire as a cool party trick and gain 1 extra hit point, a +1 bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks, and a +1 bonus on saving throws against paralysis and sleep effects.

There are several feats that grant cantrips and 1st level spells as 1/Day SLAs, as well. The feat Night Haunt would give you Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, and Unseen Servant. Spell Hand grants Mage Hand, Open/Close, and Tenser's Floating Disk. Communicator grants Arcane Mark, Comprehend languages and Message. Touch of Captivation provides Charm Person, Daze, and Prestidigitatio, etc. There are more too, but I'd have to look them up.

The weird thing about 3.5 is that there is almost always a random way to do something better than the class supposedly purpose-built to do that thing.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Geeksthenewsexy View Post
    The weird thing about 3.5 is that there is almost always a random way to do something better than the class supposedly purpose-built to do that thing.
    That's because it's designed in the same sense that a bazooka is a sniper's weapon.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Some sort of hybrid class between Soulknife and Thoughtsinger Bard. Otherwise, it'd have to be one or the other and I'd have the devil's own time choosing between them.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

When you say 15 point buy, is that Pathfinder-style point buy, or 3.5-style point buy? The same number of points gets you better stats in Pathfinder.

I’m surprised no one has opted for the Princess trait. Presumably, once you take that, you’re discovered to be a long lost member of the royal family of some country or another.
    Last edited by Maat Mons; 2023-10-04 at 11:06 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    When you say 15 point buy, is that Pathfinder-style point buy, or 3.5-style point buy? The same number of points gets you better stats in Pathfinder.

I’m surprised no one has opted for the Princess trait. Presumably, once you take that, you’re discovered to be a long lost member of the royal family of some country or another.
    For this thought experiment, it depends on your class If you take a 3.5 class, you use 3.5 traits and point buy. If you pick a PF class, you use PF versions.

25. - Top - End - #25

AssassinGuy

Whatever it takes to learn Prestidigitation. That spell would make house work so much easier!
    *This Space Available*

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Princess is a job, and one level in Soulknife wouldn't be enough to allow me to survive being fired from it.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Easy e View Post
    Whatever it takes to learn Prestidigitation. That spell would make house work so much easier!
    Any Pathfinder character can get a prestidigitation-like at-will power if they pick up the Minor Shape Veil feat and select the Penannular of Prestidigitation minor veil.

Also, all Veilweaving classes get the 'universal' veils on top of their class veil lists. One of those veils that all veilweaving classes can shape is called the 'Envoy of the Lord' veil. Shaping this veil grants you the benefits of the rajah’s House of Servants class feature, using your veilweaving modifier in place of the rajah’s initiation modifier and your veilweaving level in place of the rajah’s class level when determining the effects of the ability. For each point of essence invested in this veil, you gain the ability to create an additional servant and their effective Strength scores increase by +1.

House of Servants (Su)
    A rajah has no need to personally attend to mundane matters. The rajah can surround herself with a number of nearly-intangible servants equal to her rajah initiation modifier. These servants function as if they were created by the unseen servant spell, except that they have an effective Strength score equal to 4 + the rajah’s initiation modifier and they cannot take the aid another action. A servant who strays farther than close range (25 feet + 5 feet per two rajah levels) winks out, but can be recreated as a free action; these servants otherwise last indefinitely so long as they remain within that range and within the rajah’s line of effect. The rajah can also dismiss her servants as a free action. Unlike normal unseen servants, a rajah’s servants have a unique appearance determined by the rajah, and can talk (although being mindless, they only say what they’re told to say). They remember orders and their appearances, even if dismissed and resummoned at a later time. The details vary from rajah to rajah, but the servants are always partially transparent and obviously not creatures. These unseen servants can cast prestidigitation an unlimited number of times per day as a spell-like ability, when directed to do so by the rajah. A rajah can also make her servants invisible (or return them to visibility) as a free action. Veils cannot be shaped onto unseen servants. Finally, unseen servants created through this class feature gain any additional movement modes that the rajah may have (such as a fly speed or swim speed) at the same speed as the rajah. Should the rajah lose or acquire new movement modes, her unseen servants lose or gain these movement modes respectively.

Why cast prestidigitation yourself when you can have more than one invisible servant around at all times, doing it for you at-will? It basically nets you an at-will Mass Unseen Servant ability awhile also granting those unseen servants at-will Prestidigitation, and allows you to customize their appearance as a bonus.
    Last edited by Geeksthenewsexy; 2023-10-05 at 02:34 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

The final revision of Pun-Pun was level 1, right?
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, but it involved summoning Pazuzu. … And being a Paladin.

It kind of feel like Paladin schools should have a way of weeding out the people who are only there because they plan to summon Pazuzu. But our thought experiment here doesn't seem to involve going to school for your class level anyway, so we don't have to worry about that.

30. - Top - End - #30

Yes, but it involved summoning Pazuzu. … And being a Paladin.

It kind of feel like Paladin schools should have a way of weeding out the people who are only there because they plan to summon Pazuzu. But our thought experiment here doesn't seem to involve going to school for your class level anyway, so we don't have to worry about that.
    TBH, I think "I intend to summon a demon lord to gain absolute power" kinda disqualifies you from the 3.x Lawful Good Paladin school. You don't need to weed folks out, in that case.
    The Cranky Gamer