New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: We Be Heistin’: The Bear’s WDH Game [IC]

Hans tears the stirge off of his body, eliciting a loud “squee!” as it’s meal is ended early, as he moves toward the fallen troll. Yagra follows Hans as he approaches the troll and pulls her mace from her belt. As the stirge is ripped off of Hans she takes a swipe at it. The mace connects with the stirge, which falls to the ground in a bloody mess. “Got yer back!” She says to Hans as they turn to face the trolls body.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Carric up next.
    1 stirge attached to Carric
    1 stirge flying around Carric
    Troll is down.
    Last edited by The Big Bear; 2019-01-02 at 12:54 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Carric seeing the troll fall and now having this damn bug attached to him really agitates him.

Gotta get this blood sucking thing off me

Using all his strength he attempts to remove this stirges from himself.

3. - Top - End - #63

MindFlayer

Carric grabs at the stirge and pulls it off of his body. He feels the needle like nose slip out of his side as he pulls away, drops of his blood falling to the floor. Seeing his blood on the floor, Carric knew he was in bad shape with two stirges still flying around his head.

Durnan runs from the trolls mangled body to a nearby table and grabs the lantern sitting on top. He runs back to the trolls body and throws the lantern down onto the corpse, causing it to burst open and cover the troll in oil and engulf it in flames. The troll, not yet dead, screams in agony as the flames char and blister its body before it finally succumbs to its injuries.

The two remaining stirges fly around Carric’s head. One dives toward his side and it’s nose pierces his armor before digging into his side. Carric’s vision goes blurry and eventually dark as he collapses from the blood loss. The second stirge attempts to dive at his neck, but Carric’s fall causes it to harmlessly pass over his head. The stirge on Carric’s body finishes feeding and begins to move back toward the Yawning Portal while the stirge that missed floats down to lightly land on Carric’s body, poised to feed.

Show
    Troll is burning.
    1 stirge moving toward the Yawning Portal.
    1 stirge landed on Carric’s body to feed.

Note: Taking an attack while unconscious is an automatic fail for a death save. 3 fails on this save means death.

Squig is up.
    Last edited by The Big Bear; 2019-01-03 at 01:42 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Squig watched in horror as the troll suffers his agonizing fate. This fight seemed to be going in their favor, but that didn’t help the sick feeling in her stomach. “Maybe leaving home was a bad idea,” and in that moment, she wanted nothing more than to return to her family’s workshop. Her gaze is broken as the male elf in front of her goes down with a stirge attached to his body.

”Maybe I can help him from over here.”

Still behind the bar, she reaches inside her cloak for the familiar key and summons another burst of tingling chill through her right hand. She targets the stirge on the elf’s back.

Spoiler: Cantrip - Frostbite
    Show
    Target makes Con save against 12 DC. On failed save target takes 1d6 damage.

Damage roll: (1d6)[4]

After launching the attack, Squig ducks behind the bar again, ready to run out the back door if needed. She would have left right away, if not for her curiosity to see how this plays out.

5. - Top - End - #65

MindFlayer

A light frost begins to build on the stirge sitting on top of Carric’s body. It twists its body and moves its wings, breaking off the frost as it continues looking for an opening in Carric’s armor through which it can feed.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show

Reposting here for reference so I can stop looking back.
    Squig
    Dengar
    Erdan
    Hans
    Yagra
    Carric
    Durnan
    Troll
    Striges
    Last edited by The Big Bear; 2019-01-03 at 06:09 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66

BlueKnightGuy

Dengar sees the Troll fall to the ground and catch fire. He looks to his side and sees a Stirge grappled onto one of the fighters assisting with the sudden rise of monsters from the hole in the ground.
    “Why not put a door over it or something?”
    Dengar swings his greatsword aiming to chop the Stirge in half that’s attempting to feed on Carric

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Skaaaaaats; 2019-01-04 at 10:09 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67

MindFlayer

Dengar swings his blade down onto the stirge, cutting at an angle to avoid slicing into the downed elf. His blade strikes true, and the stirge is bifurcated into two nearly-identical halves.

The last remaining stirge approaches the Yawning Portal, intent on retreating to digest its meal.

Dengar’s question provokes a sarcastic response from Durnan, “I’d have to rename it to the Dammed Portal at that point. Let’s finish this up.” He breathes heavily as he hoists his greatsword onto his shoulder and eyes the remaining stirge.

8. - Top - End - #68

PaladinGuy

Hans turns to the incapacitated elf, paling in color from the lack of blood.

This fight is won, but Helm knows how long this one has.

He turns away from the fleeing stirge and swiftly paces over to Carric, places a hand on his shoulder and mutters, "My Lord, award another chance to this one who fought so selflessly."

Spoiler: Cast Lay on Hands
    Show
    Hans casts Lay on Hands and heals Carric for 5 hit points.

Your blessed touch can heal wounds. You have a pool of healing power that replenishes when you take a long rest. With that pool, you can restore a total number of hit points equal to your paladin level × 5.
    As an action, you can touch a creature and draw power from the pool to restore a number of hit points to that creature, up to the maximum amount remaining in your pool.

9. - Top - End - #69

MindFlayer

Hans’ hand begins to glow with a faint energy that seeps into Carric and begins to bind his wounds. Carric’s eyes open slightly as he begins to regain consciousness; he feels pain still plaguing his side but at least he was safe now.

Show

Erdan’s turn now, then Yagra and Carric.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

" No ya don't, ya blood sucking bastard" Erdan loads up another arrow and launches it at the last remaining stirge.

Spoiler: attack roll + damage roll
    Show
    (1d20+5)[22]

(1d6+3)[8]

11. - Top - End - #71

MindFlayer

Erdan's arrow slams into the fleeing stirge, which explodes in a cloud of red haze as its body falls into the portal.

Durnan looks over to Erdan and appreciatively says "Nice shot!" He pokes the body of the troll, now a pile of smoldering ashes on the floor. "Well, that could have gone worse. You all fought well, have a drink on me before you go; you too, Yagra." he says to you before easily vaulting back over the bar. He goes to the door in the back and you hear him yell something about needing a shovel and bucket to clean this mess up.

The crowd of spectators in the tavern, having previously moved as far from the troll as possible, begin to cheer for Durnan and those who helped him and move back to their tables. As the cheers dissipate and people begin to return to their card games and drinking songs, a man with a thick but trimmed brown beard in white and black clothes with golden accents breaks through the front of the crowd and moves over to Hans and Carric.

The figure who approached you strokes his mustache, adjusts his floppy hat, and tightens his scarf as he introduces himself. "A fantastic display a martial prowess! Volothamp Geddarm, chronicler, wizard, and celebrity, at your service!" he exclaims with a sweeping bow. "You be adventurers, am I right? I could use your help. Let's find a table to talk, shall we?" he says as his gaze moves over Dengar, Squig, and Erdan to make it clear he is addressing all of you. He motions to a table in the corner that is vacant following the troll's incursion into the tavern.

Show
    Fight is over, so not going by initiative anymore.
    Last edited by The Big Bear; 2019-01-04 at 01:58 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Erdan, who now has a mug of ale in each hand, shrugs non-nonchalantly and follows the oddly dressed fellow to his table.

13. - Top - End - #73

BlueKnightGuy

Aye. All I've been doing for some time.
    Dengar says as he receives his fresh mug from Durnan and takes a sip
    "What can I help, err we, help you with?"

14. - Top - End - #74

PaladinGuy

Hans beams with delight over his and his new friends' victory, and at this stranger's barrage of praise. Of course he was happy to hear more of what he had to say. Hans collects his free drink from Durnan with an overly-excited "Thank you!!" and hops over to the table, all thoughts of finding home completely wiped from his mind.

15. - Top - End - #75

HalflingWizardGirl

Squig steps down from the stool and heads over to meet Volothamp and the others, still a little shell-shocked by all that has happened. I’m glad that’s over.”

She nods to Volothamp with a smile and takes a seat at the table, keeping the hole in her peripheral vision. She leans in to listen to his request.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Carric sits up after having been knocked unconscious and slowly makes his way to his feet.

what the hell happened?

17. - Top - End - #77

MindFlayer

Durnan walks over to Carric and offers a hand to help him up. “You went down durning the fight, fellow over there patched you up.” Durnan says, pointing over to Hans. Then, indicating Volo, he says “And the guy he’s sitting with wanted to talk to you.” After helping Carric up he walks him over to an empty chair at Volo’s table.

”Ah, I see you’ve made it, my friend. Now, as I was about to explain to the others, I need help locating a friend and thought you lot look more than capable!” Volo says as Carric takes his seat. He then turns to address everyone at the table.

”I trust you’ve noticed the violence in our fair city these past tendays. I haven’t seen so much blood since my last time in Baldur’s Gate! But now I fear I have misplaced a friend amid this odious malevolence.” he says with an air of charm and mystery.

”My friend’s name is Floon Blagmar. He’s got more beauty than brains, and I worry he took a bad way home a couple nights ago and was kidnapped - or worse. If you agree to track him down with all due haste, I can offer you each ten dragons now, and I can give you each ten times that when you find Floon. May I prevail upon you in my hour of need?” Volo finishes his request, his voice now full of tearful sincerity. He fishes into his pack and places ten gold coins in front of each of you.

Spoiler: Terms
    Show
    A dragon is a gold piece.

18. - Top - End - #78

HalflingWizardGirl

Squig leaned in to face Volo at the table, bouncing slightly in her chair from excitement and nerves. "It is an honor to meet you Mr. Volothamp, my father has a few of your works in his study. I can't wait to tell him I've met you in person! I am Squigwiggle Quigglethwip, of the Quigglethwip Family in Gwendylheim. Most people just call me 'Squig'." She beamed a smile, which then soured to a frown as she said, "You care deeply for your friend Floon, he is lucky to know you. I'm happy to help find him, and I hope he has not come to any great harm."

"I can't believe I'm really talking to Volo!" Squig mused to herself. She thought of the stories her father would read before bed. "Please Papa, just one more," she and her siblings would beg. Stories of adventurers and great monsters and crazed wizards. Seeing Volo in real life, seeing a troll in real life, made those stories seem unattainable. Would anyone write stories about her? Did she even deserve to be here at this table?

She hardened her resolve and resumed her eager smile. Life was for living, for adventure! She wasn't going to waste a minute. Maybe this adventure would lead to another, and another! Hopefully with less trolls.

19. - Top - End - #79

PaladinGuy

Even though Hans was from a small agricultural community, everyone knew Volo.

I really need to deliver these materials to Wind Cliff ... but I'm so close-by, anyway. Father would surely have me help such a celebrated figure if he knew I was asked. There's a reason this man is talking to us tonight. I would be foolish to ignore a message from the heavens. This is my first real divine quest!

Hans was able to convince himself that helping Volothamp had become his new top priority. He turned to Volo. "It would be my pleasure to help," he proclaimed.
    Last edited by Coconut1864; 2019-01-07 at 05:13 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"This is the Volo?" Erdan thought to himself. It had been months since Erdan had shown up to the Yawning Portal hoping to drink his sorrows away, the guilt of what happened at the orphanage weighing heavily upon him. But maybe this was the opportunity he needed to kick him into gear and get him moving towards his ultimate goal? After all, 110 gold dragons is a damn good start... Erdan is intrigued.

"Can you tell us anymore about where your friend might be? Do you know of anyone who might be after him?"

21. - Top - End - #81

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by mila88 View Post
    "It is an honor to meet you Mr. Volothamp, my father has a few of your works in his study. I can't wait to tell him I've met you in person! I am Squigwiggle Quigglethwip, of the Quigglethwip Family in Gwendylheim. Most people just call me 'Squig'." She beamed a smile, which then soured to a frown as she said, "You care deeply for your friend Floon, he is lucky to know you. I'm happy to help find him, and I hope he has not come to any great harm."
    Squig’s words brought the smile back to Volo’s face. “The pleasure is mine! Your father sounds like a learned and smart man! I have not been to Gwendylheim in ages, such a fine city it is. I do so appreciate your help with finding Floon, I am worried sick about him.”

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut1864 View Post
    Hans was able to convince himself that helping Volothamp had become his new top priority. He turned to Volo. "It would be my pleasure to help," he proclaimed.
    ”Thank you, fine sir!” Volo replies happily.

Quote Originally Posted by doodoocrispies View Post
    After all, 110 gold dragons is a damn good start... Erdan is intrigued.

"Can you tell us anymore about where your friend might be? Do you know of anyone who might be after him?"
    Volo’s visage turns to one of internal thought as he looks at the table and rubs his mustache. He looks up and says ”Well, last I saw of him was two nights ago. We were drinking at the Skewered Dragon in the Dock Ward.” He looks slightly embarrassed as he continued, “I couldn’t keep up with his drinking and eventually left. He probably stayed there for a bit, you should start your search there.”

Volo continues by describing Floon as a handsome human male in his early thirties with wavy red-blond hair and dressed in princely garb.

Spoiler: Insight DC 10
    Show

Characters scoring 10+ on an insight check can tell Volo is being honest, but may be stretching the truth on how much he can pay.
    Last edited by The Big Bear; 2019-01-09 at 11:41 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82

HalflingWizardGirl

Squig contemplated Volo's description of his friend. "What occupation is Floon in? Perhaps his disappearance is related to his line of work."

23. - Top - End - #83

MindFlayer

The look on Volo’s face turns to one of embarrassment as his cheeks redden. ”Well, that’s quite a personal matter, but I suppose the circumstances are dire” he says sheepishly.

“Floon’s know for, uh, using his looks to his advantage, so to say. He doesn’t exactly have a job, or really work at all! He occasionally...er...” Volo lowers his voice and leans in as he continues. “Most of Floon’s friends are wealthy, er...women, and...well...he rarely spent the night in the same place twice in one tenday...”

24. - Top - End - #84

PaladinGuy

Hans remained anxious to get moving, however he appreciated that he was accompanied by this forward-thinking elf and gnome. He was keen to leave upon the first direction, and realized it might be useful to gather more information before wantonly running off to accomplish his mission. As someone who didn't often take notice of one's qualities beyond their physical prowess, he felt guilty for not acknowledging them as he did the larger one, Dengar, for example.

25. - Top - End - #85

BlueKnightGuy

”I’m sure the wealthy will have no problem engaging us.”
    Dengar says sarcastically as he takes a sip from his drink.
    ”But, the walls around their homes won’t stop us, either.”

26. - Top - End - #86

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaaaaats View Post
    ”I’m sure the wealthy will have no problem engaging us.”
    Dengar says sarcastically as he takes a sip from his drink.
    ”But, the walls around their homes won’t stop us, either.”
    Volo’s expression turns to one of worry. ”Oh, good sir, please do track down Floon before you...erm...break into an estate. You should start your search at the Skewerd Dragon.”

27. - Top - End - #87
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"What a man does for money is not for me to judge..." says Erdan (half wishing he could also get in on it) "...but i think we have enough to go off of. Let us make haste as any more time wasted here puts Floon in further danger." Erdan chugs the last bit of ale from his remaining flagons as he arises from the table, and looks to Durnan "one last ale for the road?"

28. - Top - End - #88

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by doodoocrispies View Post
    "What a man does for money is not for me to judge..." says Erdan (half wishing he could also get in on it) "...but i think we have enough to go off of. Let us make haste as any more time wasted here puts Floon in further danger." Erdan chugs the last bit of ale from his remaining flagons as he arises from the table, and looks to Durnan "one last ale for the road?"
    Durnan hears the request and he begins to fill several mugs before bringing them over to the table. He places the mugs down before sarcastically saying to Volo "I'll just put this on your tab, Mr. Geddarm" and walking back to the bar. Volo happily nods to Durnan and begins to pass the mugs around the table as he says "Oh, don't mind him. He's still upset about the ogre incident..." When everyone has a drink Volo lifts his mug up and toasts "to finding Floon, may he be safe and unharmed!"

Spoiler: Moving On
    Show
    You guys can take this time to ask Volo any questions, introduce your characters to one another, or interact in the Yawning Portal Tavern.

When everyone is ready, indicate so by making a spoiler box or posting in the OOC thread and indicating so; or just making it obvious in your post. Something like "Dain is ready to head to the Skewerd Dragon" works well. Or just "ready for timeskip" works too. If enough time has passed and someone hasn't answered, it is assumed they will travel with the party.

29. - Top - End - #89

HalflingWizardGirl

"To finding Floon!", Squig chimed. "It seems there are plenty in Waterdeep who love him. Perhaps at the Skeward Dragon we'll find someone who doesn't."

"Could be the husband of one of his lovers. Could be completely unrelated to his work. I suppose the only way to find out is to get going."

Squig made a mental note to ask Volo about the "ogre incident" another time. What a treat it would be to hear another Volo story from the man himself.
    Last edited by mila88; 2019-01-11 at 10:01 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90

PaladinGuy

Hans quickly one-gulps his ale and stands from his chair. He looks at Erdan and then back at the rest of the group. "I agree with the small child. The longer we wait, the less fresh our trail becomes. I'm sure we can befriend someone at the Skeward Dragon who will help us along."

Hans then gets on one knee and faces Erdan and asks softly, "I'm sorry boy, what is your name?"