New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

Holding cells, near Docks

Kyorlin reaches out for guidance to suss out the ethical underpinnings of each of the innmates. A feeling strikes him as less of an accurate measure than he'd like; still, its returns are fruitful.

Spoiler: Detect Evil & Poison
    Show

Cl #1 - (2) names unknown; indecent public worship, unacceptable godly wrath | (both Strong Evil)
    Food has grown poisonous mold. It remains (mostly) untouched

Cl#4 - Kistue Oano; Grand Theft & bribery (Evil) | Okawa Togi; attempted treason (not evil)
    Food unpoisoned

Cl #6 - Yohokama Samora; Theft & treason (Evil) | Yohokama Ebin; Arson & treason (Evil)
    Food unpoisoned

Cl #8 - Brothers (5) Hugama; Money-laundering, bribery, treason, insolvency (not Evil)
    Food unpoisoned
    Alcohol in flask is poison

Cl #9 - Ohawahiga, Shoto; Sodomy, rape, forgery & deception (Strong Evil)
    Food unpoisoned
    Alcohol in flask is Poison

GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    Playing Thorn in Knee Breakers

more

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Stepping around the charges, Erus reaches out to lightly tap two of the attackers as they leave openings, leaving the temperature significantly lower around him.
    "You should join me instead of throwing your life away, throw down your weapons and I'll even forgive you for going against me."
    Not really caring about the result, he summons up a flurry of ice and snow to blast some of the guards assailing the unnamed beast as well as the front of the barracks, scouring paint and chipping rock.

Spoiler: Actions!
    Show
    AoO 1 (1d20+18)[27] for (2d8+33)[46] + (4d4+11)[21] Total 67

AoO 2 (1d20+18)[34] for (2d8+33)[42] + (4d4+11)[18] total 60

Mystic Cold Wind + Ice sign: 35 ft cone, fort dc 24 save for half:
    Damage (1d20+21)[23] Cold damage, if the fort save fails, slowed for 1 round. Ignoring 10 cold resistance
    If slowed cannot take swift, immediate or free actions.
    Last edited by Tjallen; 2019-05-27 at 06:46 AM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Walks to the first cell with the anonymous criminal worshippers.

Says here you worship a different deity than the locals, tell me about what whom you worship.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

Kyuden Gotei - Barracks
    Cold wind whips across the southern entrance of the town's barracks. The lamps made of finely-wrought copper and aluminum composite sway ever so slightly, illuminating only the barracks empty state. The fourteen men that surround Yrashnal curse and jostle; five men that had formerly been engaged with Yrashnal have dropped their catching-poles to empty their stomachs. Their bodies object to the alien ideas from Donovans mind, an ocean of alien projections they can barely comprehend. Five men remain standing, and curse the slick sick their own men have made, the cold winds that press on them, and the foreboding that envelops the Beast. Several of the men, alredy sickly-looking look ready to drop. That is the sign of oni, men!! Do not let up! We drag this beast to Tenshukaku!!
    "Sir! Our Tetsubo should be powerful against oni; this one remains unaffected by our attacks."
    "If you've lived long enough you'll know that some Oni carry the corruption of the Earth with them!"
    "But our tetsubo gather no foulness from him! He wraps misfortune around himself; even our powerful attacks make only glancing blows!"

From the centre of the barracks' flung-open doors a man strides out. He has insectile armor, with green interlocking plated and bulbous plating that cover his entire body. At his hip, two reversed-curve swords hang and in his hands, he carries a beautiful ash bow inlaid with veins of jade and studded with emeralds. This man's face is mostly obscured, but the voice from his mask sounds very much like the older judge from the tournament. He certainly seems like the master of the Dojo. Drop your Tetsubo and pick up the poles, men. We're going to slay this beast here. Just as it wants."
    The seven men surrounding Yrashnal chorus ayes

He unleashes a single arrow at Yrashnal.
    Spoiler: Attacks!
    Show
    Principal grappler lost control; he will attempt to re-establish control. Meanwhile, Yama may attempt to oppose the other 4 grapplers (these may be done individually, but count as 1 action)
    (1d20+15)[32]
    (1d20+11)[23]
    (1d20+11)[20]
    (1d20+11)[29]
    (1d20+11)[29]

Two tetsubo-wielders drop their weapons, 5-foot-step back, and take hold of (dropped) Soderegarami

Archer's attack!
    (1d20+31)[41] & on miss, (1d20+31)[49] for a re-roll.
    Magic, Cold Iron, Lawful-aligned arrows; (2d12+14)[24]
    DC (1d20+25)[37] CL-check (no SR) or single-target focused Greater Dispel on Yrashnal. Starts with highest-level spells, works downwards in level.
    For sake of completeness) If Yrashnal is a conjured creature, this dispel check works against the summoner's Caster Level-check.

Two of the men Erus attacks take the hits and keep going. The one man standing near Donovan also stands and brandishes his weapon against him.
    Spoiler: Erus & Donovan!
    Show

(1d20+14)[30] & (1d12+8)[15]
    (1d20+14)[19] & (1d12+8)[11]

(1d20+11)[30] & (1d12+7)[17]x

North of the barracks, twenty-five armed men run through the gate north of you and cross up the ramp there, hundreds of feet away. Their voices are hushed, barely audible. They look onto the scene with wonder but with harsh words from their officer, they hurry along.

Kyuden Gotei - Holding cells near docks
    The two people in long robes, silent and unknown, continue their vigil. They rock back and forth, impervious to normal conversation.
    Spoiler: Kyorlin
    Show

He's going to need some Diplomacy.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2019-05-29 at 01:58 AM.

more

5. - Top - End - #305

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

as a "spiritfolk" from underground my deity isn't of the locally worished pantheon either. I could pardon you and let out of here. I would only have one condition, you mist choose to either leave this island for atleast two moons or join me as ambassadors.

Spoiler: persuasion
    Show
    diplomacy(persuasion) (1d20+3)[18]

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Calling out to the new arrival with mirth obvious in his voice, Erus sends a stream of deceptively dangerous powdered snow to ensnare the warrior: "You should introduce yourself, so your name can be remembered should you show skills worth remembering!"

Spoiler: Action!
    Show
    Undulation ray + Freeze Sign
    (1d20+8)[19] to hit touch ac for (7d4+11)[26] + 11 Dex penalty for 3 rounds, if hit also dc 25 fort save or be slowed for a round, being affected also prevents free, swift and immediate actions .
    Last edited by Tjallen; 2019-05-28 at 04:32 PM.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

Yhrashnal

With coordinated efforts the group manages to lock the Beast down entirely, one man binding each limb as their leader struggles to maintain a good hold over Yhrashnal's head and neck. This is good work on their part. Very, very good work. But good cooperation is simply not enough to survive a world so cruel and uncaring that it allows a Yhrashnal to exist within it. Somehow...the weapons holding him fall away without a proper body to leverage against.

Yhrashnal says nothing as he flickers out of corporeality whilst transitioning through the stages of his transformation, ever so slowly and carefully displaying the nightmare these mortals will soon live.

The beast vanishes for a moment only to reappear as an unraveled mess of loose flesh strands standing at the same height as a man. Half a moment later he vanishes only to show himself again, now with a grotesquely muscular body like unto an overstuffed man-shaped bag filled with stones and bound with sinew. Again he disappears. Again he returns, now with one extra arm. Gone and then back once more with a second one to return balance to his body. When he next vanishes his return brings with it nails that could cut straight into one's soul. After that he has sprouted two extra eyes, brown pupils overcast with red like the blood pooling around his feet. And then his bulbous frame constricts into a physique like that of a high fiend, like that of a warrior snatched from history and legend, like that of the first Yhrashnal; balanced and aligned most optimally for combat.

...And then he is simply gone, leaving naught but a whisper and an ominous presence. "Be ready. I come."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    HP: 73/104 (104- 12 Erus -24 Archer +5 Hardness)
    Nonlethal damage: 0 (-5 damage +5 Fast Healing)
    --
    Swift action: Ghostly- Ethereal 1 round.
    Ghostly cooldown: (1d4+1)[2] rounds
    --
    Standard Action: Combined Essence to fuse his Base form with the Monk form. This is a base combo and thus much faster than his 'special' transformations.
    --
    (?reactive?) Move Action: Maintain melee range with the front line warrior group if possible.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

Kyuden Gotei - holding cells near docks

The two people in the holding cells rock back and forth with their slow breaths.They remain quiet as he talks, their eyes explore his form and his materials, and when he's done talking they close their eyes again. The silence stretches and Kyorlin has time to prepare his materials.

Finally one speaks. "I spoke to a voice in my dreams. Was it a dream, or was I awake? It had a voice like a furnace and the air around me was colder than a winter night on a mountain peak. Its asked me to speak to it of my troubles and what I knew. And it laughed as loud as a rockslide from a mountain." He grow silent and starts to sway again. Kyorlin can see these two with clarity now.

They have the look only given to those that have seen the truth of their life as insects. That all human efforts are meaningless in the cosmic pulse. That their knowledge of the world, all the learning, is but momentary truth.

The other one asks quietly, "you have writing tools. May I use some pen and parchment?"
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2019-05-29 at 10:28 AM.

more

9. - Top - End - #309
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

In spite of the cavalcade of horrors that their group comprises, Donovan remains leery of this newcomer; twice already he'd been surprised by how formidable this land's warriors could be. He advances without regard for the soldier next to him, instead sparing his caution for what the archer may do. Once he is near enough to do so he attacks by projecting great pain upon the archer - the pain of an absence that this breathing thing could not yet know it was without.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    126/126 Hp
    AC 33/24t/29ff
    Defensive Precognition +4; 98 rds. remaining

Move action to approach within 25' of the archer-commander, once more provoking from the soldier next to him.

Manifest Inflict Pain upon him for 3 pp; DC 18 Will save or receive -4 to attacks, skills, and ability checks (but not saving throws) for 7 rounds.
    On a successful save, he still receives a -2 penalty for that duration.

At start of turn for each foe within 30' (even ones who have already saved), DC 19 Fort save or nauseated 1d4 rds.

10. - Top - End - #310

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Seeing that these two will not meet his needs he pushes a pencil and paper through the bars. He paces back and forth wondering what to do next, did that servant bring him the requested supplies? Heading the cell with the chatty prisoner are you accusing that servant of being a member of this secret poison smuggling ring? What proof have you?
    Last edited by WarHunter; 2019-05-30 at 06:32 AM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Troll in the Playground

Kyuden Gotei - holding cell near the Docks.

The brother looks over his shoulder to one of his taller kin who shrugs and obliges. He rolls up a sleeve and shows a diminutive tattoo of a 5-pointed leaf, only a few millimeters by a few millimeters, inked just below his elbow. "My brother here was the first to join the House; we were asked to join recently and ours are even smaller, only able to be seen by a merchant's looking glass. Sadly, this is all the proof I can offer. They are very protective of their secrets, and perhaps the case that I only have my word as proof can suffice for sufficient evidence. But I heard of one who was recently noticed observing the operations, a beast who could project his form to the Spirit realms. It was a strange creature, like a wolf that could shift its form into many other bits. ...I heard you ask others this, but should you free us or grant us protection or passage, we could work for you." He points to Kyorlin's signet ring. "I know of that seal. It's an old house, one of the Mountain Spirit Folk that disappeared several hundred years ago in the northern Crab province. The disappearance of their clan, and indeed their magistrate caused great repercussions for the Crab family tasked with diplomacy. Since the Spirit Folk family had left and had been known to posses a great deal of secrets, the Crab family, too, was put to death to ensure that the secrets were kept under secure conditions." He chances a grin.

"That you have returned will cause many within the Emerald Throne to seek you out. You'll need people like us that are used to life in the Capital city." One of the other brothers gives a grumble. <<You tell him only the partial-truths, brother.>> "Hardly," he replies. "We lived and worked under the house Okuno for seven years there. The Hugama family is one of servants, scattered across the Mantis islands, but us brothers spent our seven years as attendants in the Imperial court. You're welcome to ask any guard. The Huguma family is known for their excellent service."

The man across their cell, Shoto, curses ans spits. "You wouldn't be here if you hadn't betrayed your oaths." At this the Huguma brothers remain silent. The man smells a chance and goes for it. "Yes, you betrayed someone and that's why you're going to be killed later tonight, just like the rest of us. Leave it to a higurashi to be silent until it feels the fading warmth of the sun. Then it makes a great deal of noise along with all of its other vermin kin." The younger brother frowns but says little. He looks down and shuffles his feet, content with his silence.

Kyuden Gotei - Barracks South

The men around Yrashnal shout in wonder and surprise at his ghostly transformation. "WUUUOOOAAAHHHHH!! SU-UUGEIII!!" Apart from their macabre fascination, there's little more that the five soldiers can do against an incorporeal foe. The archer does little against Yrashnal, but he does invoke powers of his spirits.
    "Great Spirits, grant this humble servant and those around him great protection from the Lawful that would harm our minds and bodies and spirits." His invocation involves a warding of his right hand that imitates the effect of sprinkling a substance in a 3' circle around himself. Its effects upon the spell's completion present immediate results.
    Show
    Magic Circle against Law. Duration: 150 minutes

SR-Check for "summoned" creatures, which any Voice-Called counts as and prevents entry within 10' of, regardless of corporeality: (1d20+15)[24]

The magic wards an area around him, and he looks around, curious as to where the Beast may have wandered to. His bow remains ready.

Both Erus and Donovan endure attacks that, incredibly, leave no marks. Erus's challenge is greeted with silence. Instead, the three that had attacked him (and Donovan, for that matter), renew their attacks.
    Spoiler: Attacks!
    Show

All move + Std attack:
    E:
    (1d20+12)[31] & (1d12+5)[6]
    (1d20+12)[19] & (1d12+5)[13]
    (1d20+12)[31] & (1d12+5)[7]

D:
    (1d20+12)[20] & (1d12+5)[8]
    (1d20+12)[16] & (1d12+5)[17]
    (1d20+12)[30] & (1d12+5)[15]

Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2019-05-31 at 11:17 AM.

more

12. - Top - End - #312

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

I will consider taking you three on as aides only after a bit of light torture to make you look repentant of your crimes.

But this must be unanimous amongst you, this does not mean i am going to go war with the house of five leaves.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Brushing the attacks away with no more effort than that used to shoo away a fly, Erus smiles at his assailants:
    "Step aside young ones."
    Gesturing for them to get out of the way, he flies straight towards the archer, landing gracefully just outside the circle, scuffing it lightly with his foot he tilts his head slightly in unspoken question before calling up the fury of winter, a howling vortex of ice springing into being.

Show
    Move action: Fly 60 ft to the archer, on the opposite side of where Donovan is,
    Free action: Use Winter Inspiration to use cold sign,
    Swift action: Activate cold sign,
    Standard action: Activate Icy Vortex: DC 24 reflex to take half of (3d6+11)[26] half cold half piercing, and an additional (4d6)[18] cold damage that is NOT reduced on a successful save, in a 30ft radius, anyone entering it before Erus next turn also takes the damage, max once per target.
    Last edited by Tjallen; 2019-06-01 at 11:32 AM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

Yhrashnal

Moments later Yhrashnal's full presence makes a devastating return as his unnatural form pushes forward into the ranks of the enemy foot soldiers. The leftmost warrior in the front line suffers under the creature's claws that bring Yhrashnal into balance to offer the leftmost man two excessively heavy palm strikes from his upper arms. Yhrahsnal's body rocks away for a moment and then snaps forward again to bite that same man whilst delivering two palm-strikes to the first target, followed by him stabbing at the second man with his talons.

He does not neglect the others though. Not fully, anyway. Even whilst clawing and punching and biting Yhrashnal imposes his heavy presence on all four of the men directly facing him, the grit of his hatred grinding away at their ability to respond properly to his fury.

Show
    HP: 78/104 (73 Hp = 5 Fast Healing)
    Nonlethal damage: 0

AC: 25(-3 con damage, +5 Erus aura)
    --
    Ghostly cooldown: 1 round
    --
    Aura of Despair (melee range enemies): Will save DC 16 or -2 penalties as per Crushing Despair
    --
    Free action: 5 foot step forward as need be, placing Yhrashnal at the center of the 4 man battle formation

Full attack! (Using temporary ruling from Co-DM Salt which removes one less attack from arm when MWFing in 4 arm mode.

*I broke some of these rolls. Here are the rolls in OoC*

Leftmost guy:
    Top Right arm-
    Attack: (1d20+15)[31]
    Damage: (1d4+23)[26] (+11 Erus Aura)

Top left Arm
    Attack: (1d20+15)[35]
    Damage: (1d4+23)[24] (+11 Erus Aura)

Claw 1
    Attack: 32
    Damage: (1d4+21)[25] (Claws always deal full str, per Barghest +11 Erus Aura)

Claw 2
    Attack: 24
    Damage: (1d4+21)[24] (Claws always deal full str, per Barghest +11 Erus Aura)
    --
    Other guy on the left:
    Bottom Right arm-
    Attack: (1d20+15)[24]
    Damage: (1d4+23)[26] (+11 Erus Aura)

Bottom left Arm
    Attack: (1d20+15)[29]
    Damage: (1d4+23)[27] (+11 Erus Aura)

Bite
    Attack: 19
    Damage: (1d6+16)[21] (+11 Erus Aura)

Talon 1
    Attack: 14
    Damage: (1d6+16)[19] (+11 Erus Aura)

Talon 2
    Attack: 29
    Damage: (1d6+16)[18] (+11 Erus Aura)
    Last edited by Doxkid; 2019-06-02 at 04:20 PM.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Troll in the Playground

The Beast's incorporeal form avoids six arrows; they streak into the ground before him. Meanwhile, the "circle" that Erus tries to disturb is not, of course, broken; as there is no silver powder to disturb, there's no means to disrupt it through trickery. He acknowledges Erus only with the comment,
    Your time is limited, frozen Oni. Prepare yourself!

As far as Yrashnal is concerned, the archer looks on, and watches the twelve other men in their plight with the beast. Aided by the debilitating effects of Donovan's own mind that's laid low many of the men and the vortex of cold that Erus unleashes against them, the lives of the soldiers are in danger. Yrashnal unloads a flurry of deadly attacks upon them, which, amidst their unpracticed means of fighting together, results in chaotic slaughter.

Two men, their armor cold and vulnerable to powerful attacks, endure the piercing claws of Yrashnal to their guts and fall over dead. Yrashnal breaks the necks of two other men adjusting their positions to re-pin him with a polearm, and with the three men that all missed him with their tetsubo, his swipes and bite leave them with such grevious wounds that their frozen-over vulnerable places bleed with such vigor they fall over, unable to do little but spill their own blood.

The five remaining men that have been incapacitated from the psychic emanations of Donovan, doubled over and unable to attack, have taken mortal wounds from Yrashnal's previous assaults. They succumb to the terrible and swirling cold that Erus unleashes with his magics. Their wounds seep blood and they lay down, drained, in what proves to be fatal resignations to death despite their trainint.

Donovan, conscious that the archer didn't succumb to his last attack, begins to concentrate a little more amidst the chaos and fury. The feeling of the warriors attacking him hardly registers; attacking him as futile as if they had been attacking the ocean itself.
    Again into the depths,
    Let the ocean waves
    Bring my foe a crest
    That smothers mental space.

An awful poem, certainly, that brings Donovan little joy to compose, but one that delivers the intent of his focus with terrible certainty. He manifests with the full weight of his powers, delving deep into his psyche to pour forth its energy.

Show
    Archer studies Yrashnal - no attacks made.

The three who attack Donovan all miss.

Donovan Wild Surges for 3, and takes (2d6)[7] damage. He has a 5% chance to suffer Enervation (15% reduced by damage taken). (1d100)[47] (must get 6 or higher).

Inflict Pain, spending 10 PP (ML 7+3), DC 27 to impose -4 penalty in atk, saves, skill, ability

(1d20+11)[12] 13 -2 from last round...to oppose.

Donovan's mental attack seems to affect the archer. He starts, frowns, and breaks his concentration on Yrashnal to glance about the area for the source of his terrible mental pain...and spots Donovan. Shaking his head, he turns back to Yrashnal, content at least to believe that the winter-fey is dangerous but doesn't have the raw slaughtering power that the Beast does.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2019-06-05 at 01:47 PM.

more

16. - Top - End - #316

ElfMonkGuy

A want takes hold in his target, the framework of how a mortal mind could glimpse the unfathomable.
    It was as knowing the sun by the cold. To know the serenity by its explicit, excruciating absence; thereupon could lungs exhale and be filled with its truest name.

Donovan shifts until the physical world aligns with ephemeral thought, upon currents which carry him so narrowly past questing blades. The drowned reaches towards the serenity's absence, his grasp crossing thin air in a cascade of ectoplasmic water.

Show
    120/126 Hp (+1 fast healing)
    AC 33/24t/29ff
    Defensive Precognition +4; 96 rds remaining
    Surging Euphoria (+1 atk/dmg/saves); 2 rds remaining

Move action to get a clear shot at the archer, once more ignoring the soldiers and potentially provoking.

Standard action, use Drowning Touch (ranged touch attack): (1d20+6)[16]
    on hit, target must make checks to avoid drowning (DC 10 Con check; the penalty from Inflict Pain applies to this)
    every two rounds, the target may attempt a DC 19 Fortitude save to cough up the water, taking 3d6 damage but ending the effect. (note: the penalty from Inflict Pain does not apply to saves)

At start of turn for each foe within 30' (even ones who have already saved), DC 19 Fort save or nauseated 1d4 rds.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Visibly straightening himself up and flashing a winning smile at the archer, as if he was not currently engaging in blatant murder for no real reason:
    "I am a Noble of Winter, and it is customary to introduce oneself before engaging in honorable combat!"

Show
    Swift: Freeze Sign
    Full-round:
    Frostbite Touch 1 :
    To hit: (1d20+18)[38] for (1d8+22)[25] Cold + (1d8+11)[14] Untyped + (3d4+11)[19] Cold (Violent Freeze - Freeze Touch Me)
    Confirm:
    [20] for [23] Cold + [17] Untyped extra damage!

Frostbite Touch 2 :
    To hit: (1d20+18)[34] for (1d8+22)[30] Cold + (1d8+11)[17] Untyped + (3d4+11)[18] Cold (Violent Freeze - Freeze Touch Me)

If any of them hit: DC 25 Fort or be slowed. If slowed no swift, immediate, or free actions are usable.

Spoiler: Allies!
    Show
    Rolled a 20, so everyone heals for 14 hp.
    Last edited by Tjallen; 2019-06-03 at 04:22 PM.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Troll in the Playground

Two of the tetsubo-wielding soldiers keel over from the overwhelming presence Donovan brings. With the sight of the devastation caused by Yrashnal, the three men look to move away from the battle. The final one standing, instead of continuing to assault the Drowned man, chances a retreat. He Disengages, and seeing that the man focuses on the archer, bends down to take the arms of the other two men and supports them to walk a little faster than they could by themselves. "The Sensei will take care of them. He'll be fine!"

The Sensei's eyes bulge and he coughs; water erupts from his mouth where he'd expected to be able to talk. He finds Donovan with his eyes again, but he doesn't bother firing any arrows. Instead he lowers his head and closes his eyes.
    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Swift Action: Use Divine Favor 2 power Sudden Metamagic to gain & apply 1 Metamagic feat to next spell.

Standard (1): (Silenced) Greater Dispel Magic CL is 15+(1d20)[2]+1 (Sudden MM) vs DC 13 18 effect.

(free): Use Divine Favor 3 power to gain +1 Standard Action.

Move: saved for result of Dispel.
    Standard (2): Saved for result of Dispel.

In a few moments, the archer opens his eyes and clears his throat, his eyes holding menace for the three creatures that have assaulted the barracks and his men. Addressing Erus, he declines the request for a name with prejudice. "If you do not know my name by my clothing, Oni, then you know nothing useful here. You and your companions, by killing my students at this school, have made yourselves a terrible enemy.. He dashes away from Erus, giving the Fey no opportunity to attack him. The fey hears the crash of breaking glass from an adjoining room, and if he looks for the man, he's already vaulted up the wall of the inner (northern) quarter of the city and perched on top.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2019-06-05 at 03:22 PM.

more

19. - Top - End - #319
    Troll in the Playground

Docks - holding cells.

Three of the five men nod, agreeing to endure "cursory" torture in exchange for working for Kyorlin.
    The other two express their disdain for the idea individually. "For all we know, you could be a traitor to the crown," the fourth brother says.
    <<Exactly. I have no desire to bring any more shame on our family. If the Mantis are incapable of realizing our under-cover status, then I'd rather die than endure the corruption that eats them away.>>
    "Well spoken."

The shorter brother shakes his head. "He is probably going to allow us to atone for our perceived sins!"
    A female servant arrives, out of breath. "Your poisons, magistrate. Sir...I have a message for you from Tenshukaku. It seemed urgent; they asked me to return a reply."

Spoiler: The message reads
    Show

Magistrate,

Moments ago, our city fell under attack by three Oni. This may be a prelude to a larger attack, and we are taking the time to secure Tenshukaku.

We urge you to join us with the other Dignitaries in Tenshukaku. Please take caution with your duties, as we have no Guards to spare at this time.

more

20. - Top - End - #320

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

What of my other supplies? I unfortunately will have to stay here. These men deserve swift justice, i have dealt with oni before and am stronger than i was then so they should not give me any trouble my dear. Thank you and the court for its concern. Hurry to safety now, be off- take the guards here to escort you.

After the servant and guards leave he addresses the brothers. It says here you are being charged with Money-laundering, bribery, treason, and insolvency. I need to know if half of these are true and the other half false?
    Last edited by WarHunter; 2019-06-05 at 04:05 PM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Troll in the Playground

Docks - jail cell
    The servant frowns and asks, "Perhaps the jar of alcohol, 4 buckets, and the cloth bag just outside the jail are your other requests?" She opens the bag and asks,

"A tin with needles, flint, steel and torch oil, a tray of cutting blades, hooks, pulley block, rope, and...a large bento that smells of delicious food?"

While she waits for his input she waits for Kyorlin to write a reply. "I'm sorry, your grace, I'm not trained with writing. They insisted that I give them a written response from you."

The short man in the cell, whom already has been given paper is a step ahead of her. He hands it to Kyorlin, and says, "See? I can be useful!"

Spoiler: The message reads
    Show

Your invitation is welcome, but my duties are my life. Should the Oni come for me, I shall face them without fear.

Emerald Magistrate
    ~ Naereth

Once Kyorlin has signed his name, the servant departs along with one of the jail's guards; the other remains despite his dismissal.

The short man then answers Kyorlin, "As I said before, we were used as an independant group to do tasks for the House of Five Leaves. They had us in charge of the services at the Bank. We ran money through the system, charged the bank, and at the direction of the Five Leaves leaders, adjusted the ledgers. The debts accrued are by the Five Leaves group; the Huguma family has served the Emerald Throne for six generations!

We reported all of these activities to our contact in the Magistrates' office, a Kodomo; surely you know one of their family? Another with a long and solid reputation? I thought you were here on the Kodomo's request!"

One of the older brothers scoffs. <<He's probably just a pretender, using the position to get what he wants so he can enjoy torturing us and whatever other twisted fantasies he has. Just kill me now, why dont you?>> He jerks his head towards the cell to the right, the man Ohawahiga. <<Or question some of the people here that have legitimate reason to be here.>>
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2019-06-10 at 01:16 PM.

more

22. - Top - End - #322
    Troll in the Playground

Yhrashnal

"Perhaps. Perhaps you are powerful enough to slay Oni. Perhaps you are powerful enough to slay me. But your students will not live to see you avenge them. I am the undoing of all who honor you." The moment the archer falls back into his domain, probably to prepare an ambush, Yhrashnal strikes out at the strongest among the survivors left behind with a foul oath upon his tongue. One does not leave its young to the mercy of a predator unless there is no recourse but to let them die or the young are too unfit to even be worth protecting; either way Yhrashnal will ensure that even if the archer himself is worthy the man will properly sire and defend its young next time.

...if Yhrashnal does not sate his bloodlust on the man, that is. A worthy foe is so hard to locate...

With the last wisps of venom evaporating off of his Uncrowned Slaughter Yhrashnal elects to use his first sword for this task instead: the Ruined Blade draws a sharp arc is the beast attempts to strike down the remains of this mortal's school.

<They are aware of our presence. We should finish the weak ones then retreat. We have other tasks. I have culled the unworthy one, and those who fought beside him.> [Donovan, Erus]

Show
    HP: 83/92 (78 Hp +5 Fast Healing)
    Nonlethal damage: 0
    --
    Yhrashnal dealt at least 100 damage last round, with several attacks in the 30s. Mad hunger heals him for 20% of the damage he deals, bringing him back to full HP. Erus Healing redundantly heals him for 14, making sure he is absolutely positively at full HP.

NEW HP: 92/92 (78 Hp +5 Fast Healing)
    --
    AC: 20(-3 con damage)
    --
    Ghostly cooldown: Ready!
    --
    Aura of Despair (melee range enemies): Will save DC 16 or -2 penalties as per Crushing Despair
    --
    Fullround: Charging down the survivors of the earlier rampage! (assuming they have not retreated too far into the building, that is)

Ruined Blade
    -Attack: (1d20+18)[34] (+2 charge)
    -Damage: (1d10+19)[26]

23. - Top - End - #323

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

As the servant leaves and is out of ear shot he mumbles about his request for a pair of good quality dastanas. He then turns back to the brothers, You think my fantasy is to torture you? If I did not get this mission in the palace I would be drinking with company. after sampling the saki he unlatches the cell depositing the jug inside he relatches the cell. Its not unanimous amongst you brothers so i will start sentencing the others.

He walks to the cell of the rapist, Sir I assume the charges against you are correct and sentence you now. as he unlatches the door he steps inside and dishes out his brand of justice.
    Spoiler: execution
    Show
    10ft reach unarmed strike 1(1d20+11)[24]1c(1d20+11)[24] damage1(2d6+7)[15]1critical extra damage(2d6)[9]
    2nd unarmed strike attack2(1d20+11)[23]2c(1d20+11)[26]2damage(2d6+7)[10]2critical extra damage(2d6)[6]

24. - Top - End - #324
    Troll in the Playground

Yrashnal unloads terrible vengeance upon the students that retreat towards the ramp. With their backs turned, his blade parts armor, flesh, and bone as if ithey were oil. Blood spills from the man's back and he gives a groan of surprise. The man in the middle drops the two to face Yrashnal. His face is youthful and he wields his tetsubo with some experience, but with little of the surety of the samurai he'd faced on the docks of the cliffside town;
    "Was your intention to attack us, slaughter us just for the Thrill, to show us that with the bout earlier you held back? I will die if I must, but please..." He glances at the one with his cut-and-bleeding back, winces and nods to the other one on his knees, nauseous "I do not wish my brother to die before he becomes a real soldier. Let him live."

Erus hears voices from across the wall. It's unmistakably the Archer, talking with another who has a soft voice.
    Spoiler: Erus' Eyes only
    Show

Citizen!
    "Ah! Lord !"
    "What business gives such urgency?"
    "Danger! Ah, I deliver a message to Tenshukaku!"
    "Good. Tell Lord Yoritomo that he must send three of his Palace Guards to the Dignitary quarters. Immediately!
    "Yes your grace!"

Docks - holding cell
    The accused rapist in the cell begins to protest, but he doesn't have the strength or dexterity Kyorlin has. His suffering is brutal, and is seen and heard by the others--easily including the guard outside--and it's a simple matter to use the crystal upon his form. Kyorlin then delivers a brutal, violent and bloody end.

The atmosphere in the holding cells has shifted. No one is simply calm anymore; they're all awaiting their end, and they know it. It looks like the short Huguma brother wants to say something, but he decides against it. Every eye watches Kyorlin.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2019-06-07 at 12:40 PM.

more

25. - Top - End - #325

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Calming walks out of the cell and sits down next to his supplies and starts eating the bento. Taking his time to savor it, when he is done gets up and starts talking to the the rest. I see that I have troubled you with that last suspect,
    I see it like this I can be forgiving of crimes that you may or may not have committed but his suspected crimes are so heinous that if he was pardoned would likely repeat his crimes or if falsely accused the ones with the power to make such accusations will trouble him and me.

The rest of you are lucky, your crimes aren't as severe to my sensibilities.

26. - Top - End - #326

ElfMonkGuy

Donovan had watched with mixed interest and disappointment as the archer had overcome the serenity's touch. Or perhaps had been allowed to overcome it by some externality. The fact remained, his manifestation of its essence was still not... true enough. He looked about at the other soldiery, some of whom had in fact been drowned in his field of thin air and palpable thought.

As seemed increasingly more common, the shapeshifter Yhrashnal interrupts his reverie. For the best, perhaps. Donovan knew he could lose track of the physical world a bit too easily at times.
    "Agreed. After the total of today's events, I must center myself once more. I will retreat to the harbor."

With the archer's escape, Donovan contents himself to search among his disciples for one who still clings to life, but would not put up much fight. Perhaps the serenity could yet find purchase within a new mind.

Show
    126/126 Hp
    AC 33/24t/29ff
    Defensive Precognition +4; 95 rds remaining
    Surging Euphoria (+1 atk/dmg/saves); 1 rd remaining

Swift to dismiss Nauseating Aura

find an unconscious or otherwise incapacitated soldier to return to the harbor with (Donovan's heavy load is 400 lbs, so I should be able to carry one without much issue)

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

Yhrashnal

Interesting. Very interesting; a mere child stands ready to face like likes of Yhrashnal for the sake of its kin, while the true warriors die in droves or cower in their dens. "You are unworthy of this trade."

Yhrashnal assaults the man with his Uncrowned slaughter, twisting the sword each time it reaches the man so the blade slaps instead of slicing. After battering the mortal a bit Yhrashnal's tail lashes at the man's leg, attempting to tie him down while he is weakened.

"For now."

Show
    HP: 92/92 (78 Hp +5 Fast Healing)
    --
    AC: 20(-3 con damage)
    --
    Aura of Despair (melee range enemies): Will save DC 16 or -2 penalties as per Crushing Despair.
    --
    Swift Action: Mad Hunger! (+20 Movement speed, 2 more attacks in a full attack, take 30% bonus damage)
    --
    Full attack!
    Iterative Attacks (Uncrowned Slaughter):
    Attack 1: (1d20+12)[25] (Iterative. -4 deal nonlethal damage)
    Damage: (1d10+19)[24] (nonlethal damage)

Attack 2: (1d20+7)[20] (Iterative. -4 deal nonlethal damage)
    Damage: (1d10+19)[27] (nonlethal damage)

Attack 3: (1d20+12)[30] (Mad Hunger. -4 to deal nonlethal damage)
    Damage: (1d10+19)[24] (nonlethal damage)

Attack 4: (1d20+12)[31] (Mad Hunger. -4 to deal nonlethal damage)
    Damage: (1d10+19)[29] (nonlethal damage)
    --
    Natural attacks *Unarmed attacks were ruled as true Natural attacks, no TWF or Iterative use allowed*
    Unarmed Strike-> Grapple attempt
    Attack roll: (1d20+15)[31] (-2 Multiattack)
    Grapple Check if attack lands: (1d20+15)[31]

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Insulted and completely unsatisfied with the lack of resistance posed by the guards, Erus picks up the tetsubo of the first man he slew.

As he lazily as he studies the weapon he addresses Yhrashnal and Donovan in an offhand manner:
    "A runner has just been dispensed to get aid in the form of palace guards, if you could bring him to me a lesson might be taught as to the foolishness of cowardice. Well fought, even with the lacking opposition."

Turning around at the sound of metal hitting flesh and seeing the beat-down of the still living guard, the fey simply waves as he starts walking away, the frost that has been forming around him fading away with every step.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Troll in the Playground

Kyuden Gotei - near Barracks
    Donovan finds three men that are unconscious, dying from wounds, and that will need aid to be spared their fate.

Further north, Yrashnal delivers a flat-bladed beating to the man. Minor cuts appear on his face where he's hit and his armor softens some of the blows, but cracking bones can be heard as he cowers. Soon, he's passed out, and easy to grapple. The other man, no longer nauseous, has used this opportunity to run, full-tilt, towards Tenshukaku.

Southern Docks - Holding cell
    The prisoners look to Kyorlin with fear despite his words. They resent the bloody-minded execution of the other, perhaps, and stare at him, blankly, until the short man asks him, "Could I see the ledger? Perhaps I can help".
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2019-06-20 at 05:15 PM.

more

30. - Top - End - #330

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Looking it over one last time he hands it over, Sure, here you go.