New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

Kyorlin

Downing both drink, he than walks over and retrieves the weapons. Of course, there is always saki to share.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

Kyuden Gotei SW - between Dignitary Quarters and Bath House

Donovan abandons his charade and rises, dashing for the nearest substance through which this newcomer's spell would allow him to escape.
    The Drowned needs only dash a few feet away. Lucky for him, the Archer does not see him--he's talking to Kyorlin--and before the Archer turns back to the bodies, Donovan has slid into the wall without incident.

The marble feels cool and comforting, almost as a continual blanket that draws out warmth. The earth around him gives the feeling of great possibility: He could move anywhere the ground touches, and could travel wherever the ground touches...
    Spoiler: Considerations
    Show

Nearly every building in Kyuden Gotei (Except Tenshukaku and the poor slum buildings) are made from elegantly worked marble.
    The worked marble is connected to the ground, which is connected to the bottom of the ocean and any underground caves.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2019-06-21 at 11:41 AM.
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    Playing Thorn in Knee Breakers

more

3. - Top - End - #363
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Still fretful, Donovan barely considers the incredible opportunities his fellow voice-called's boon represents. He was in no condition to take advantage in any case...
    The sea. He needed to reach the sea, needed to find the serenity once more. Everything felt wrong.

Unable to properly navigate within the solid earth, he simply moves directly towards where he knows the harbor to be. The change in resistance between seawater and the earth through which he'd been permitted to shift was surprisingly subtle, but the disturbed undead felt an immediate relief at the water's touch. It was here. Would ever be here, even if he could be destroyed. He allows himself to drift to the sea floor whereupon he meditates, immersing himself in its clandestine beauty, its endlessly complex form.

Though it remains unseen to the world above, the serenity reaffirms his purpose. All other emotion falls away, their insignificance lain bare. The world is reflected anew in every mind, and Donovan cares to capture nothing more in that mental mirror than the serenity's splendor. Its secrets are once more made clear, its meaning once more known. They are subtle things, but possess a power all their own. He scrapes the form of the inspiration they grant him into his tough, unliving flesh with the most appropriate tool at hand, its magic seeping into the scores. In examining his work he sees past the flesh, past the frail form upon which the marks are made. There is only their shape, and each must be flawless.

In becoming lost in the ocean's grand, geographic workings, he loses as well the mortal scale of time. He returns his awareness to the world what seems like only a short while later, but to the citizenry of the island nearly a full day has passed.
    Last edited by Anachronity; 2019-06-21 at 09:02 PM.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Troll in the Playground

Kyuden Gotei SW - near Docks

Kyorlin finds himself dismissed by Tsuruchi. "Until the meeting, Magistrate.

During their discussion, ten servants have approached him from nearby, and wait for him to speak to them. He now instructs them, "Distribute messages about the city. Guards are to stay on alert and permit citizens to return to their homes today for early curfew. Three hours of business a day for the next week." They bow low then fan out to the rest of the city.

Kyuden Gotei E - Heaven's Bank

"You could certainly be a part of an expedition one day when we're certain the plague is no longer a problem!" Your meal is a pleasant one, and Erus feels confident that Guard-Captain Toro, despite the expected difference in your social positions, has come to enjoy the Fey's presence. As you wrap up with a pleasant mint tea, the general hubbub in the bank increases, and a messenger bows in the tiny atrium to Toro's quarters.

"Messenger, report!"
    He nods. "The Oni have been dealt with. Message from Lord Tsuruchi Kento: 'Guards are to stay on alert and permit citizens to return to their homes today for early curfew. Three hours of business a day for the next week.' Message ends."
    "Very good. Distribute the instructions to my sergeants." The Guard-captain stands and looks to Erus. "Merchant Bjerg, I must return you to the Bank. Please enjoy your freedom, as short as it will be."

Bay West of Kyuden Gotei
    Donovan's ritual remains undisturbed save for a few adventurous fish and amphibians that tentatively explore him as he does his work. Above him the sun traces its lazy way across the sky, and will have (mostly) returned to its position before he emerges from the depths.

more

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Nodding at the idea of sailing to the un-mapped shores of Thrane, Erus replies: "An interesting idea indeed, perhaps in a dozen years if they have it under control."

As the messenger enters, the fey drinks the last of his tea, delighted at the taste, with the good news relayed Erus thanks Guard-captain Toro for his hospitality.
    "You wouldn't happen to know of a reputable inn that has empty rooms would you, Sir Toro? I was trying to find lodgings, but alas my search was interrupted by all this unpleasantness."

6. - Top - End - #366

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Climbs down from roof with ease, heads back to the holding cells. He tries out the grip on his new swords trying to get a feel for them.

Getting back to business he apologizes to the female suspect for his associates actions that lead to her sisters untimely death. He asks her they got into this predicament?
    Last edited by WarHunter; 2019-06-24 at 04:28 AM.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Troll in the Playground

Kyuden Gotei E - Heaven's Bank

Guard-captain Toro nods. "Many of the local merchants visit the Kabuki to exchange contacts before and after the shows; there's also a small eating house in the upstairs of the bank, too. If that's not known, it's understandable...Across from Heaven's bank, the Reliable Knot has a good reputation for a drinking house. Sailors and merchants can pay for a room in the house next door...There's often a little noise from the Knot, but it's just enough to warm the heart before a departure for a long journey. He bows and shows Erus to the main area of the bank.

The merchants and traders, since they've heard of the day's early close and halved time for the next week's business, speak, jostle and trade in a frenzy of action. Erus will need to fight the surging tide of traders, just as the guards do, to maneuver through the bank.

Kyuden Gotei SW - holding cells near Docks

The still-extant sister looks at Kyorlin, sobbing, and blubbers out a story that's full of mistakes. Their lives were, according to her, decent but boring as women in a wealthy merchant's family, and as younger sisters of many, they had little power their elder sisters might have gained. They tried to escape their lives by stealing and then destroying a shipment of paper supplies about an outbound ship; they planned to escape in the confusion of the fire, stage their death and stow away a rescue barge, then hide until the barge had stopped at another port. The fire also set fire to a number of intelligence documents important to the Yokohama clan that were on the same ship; most of them perished in the fire, and the two women were caught on the barge before they could hide.

more

8. - Top - End - #368

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Before we begin, do you have any use skills or talents? Kyorlin begins prepping the block and tackle, attaching it to the ceiling of the cell.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

The lady thinks about this question for a little while and begins to calm down. "I...I know enough about paper, paper-making, cloth and how to make those, and how to balance a ledger, too. Yes, I can read, a luxury I know... And those Huguma brothers? They're not frugal at all, no sense of how to relate to others that work a hard life. ...tell me, did you loose your assistants? I heard you all arrived on a boat.

Ms. Kitsue looks quiet, and even seems to cram herself into her cell, while Okawa hangs his head.

Spoiler: Ledger
    Show

Cl #1 - (2) names unknown; indecent public worship, unacceptable godly wrath - Disturbing public peace
    Cl#4 - Kitsue Oano; Grand Theft & bribery | Okawa Togi; attempted treason & believes failure forgives intent. Guilty.
    Cl #6 - Yohokama Samora; Theft & treason | Yohokama Ebin; Arson, & treason, murder of kin

Cl #8 - Brothers (5) Hugama; Money-laundering, bribery, fraud, insolvency

Cl #9 - Ohawahiga, Shoto; Sodomy, rape, forgery & deception
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2019-06-30 at 12:41 PM.

more

10. - Top - End - #370

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

I have been told i travel too lightly in assistants, this is the first time i have travel while being in charge normally the head of the house sets up my parties.

If you wouldn't mind keeping the brother in line on spending i could use you assistance but i need to test your loyalty
    looks down at corpse did you have bad blood between you?

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

With a smile, Erus bids the Guard-Captain goodbye: "The kabuki theater sounds delightful, I thank you for your hospitality. Blessings upon you friend."

As he approaches the mass of bodies the fey starts making his way through the mass, keeping his eyes peeled for pickpockets and for the people of import, picking them out by the clusters around them or the more generous space around them afforded by high status.

Leaving the bustle behind, Erus heads towards the docks, intent on finding the group Oshaka decided were worthy of notice. Destiny favors the doer's after all.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Troll in the Playground

The merchants and shop-keepers, told to end their days early, return to shops only to pack up. They all seem nonplussed and scared. City guards, all with spears drawn and kama on hips stoically Search the areas they patrol. Their eyes never stop for long.

His quick steps move him past the citizens and he goes through the gate north of the Barracks. Plain-clothed servants have moved the bodies and now rinse away the blood; they use simple brooms to move the water along the porous stone in between the coarse marble streets. Erus makes his way past this, too, and as he reaches the South-western docks he looks to his right almost by accident.

Far from the docks he sees a wizened figure sitting on a rock very close to the bay. A large canine and an even larger figure that could easily be mistaken as a boulder rest nearby.

Erus approaches the man whom is unmistakably Oshika. The centaur, disguised as an white-haired octogenarian, opens his eyes briefly from a meditation, gives a wink and a grin, then closes his eyes and relaxes again.

The rock on which he rests has a chalk circle and small array, and magic of the summoning nature emanates from the area around him. It is a ritual spell, no doubt, performed over time to both be more powerful and not consumed as much of his energy.

Ms. Yokohama nods quickly in agreement. "A merchant family encourages everyone to compete. Samora and Ebin were the youngest captives of an unhappy family. There was only room for conflict. One must have a little more space than that.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2019-07-03 at 06:42 PM.

more

13. - Top - End - #373

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

My family was also competitive, My mother being the likely cause of my grandmother's death. I'm going to a bit of pressure on you finger while i hold this to you as you confess your guilt, agreed?

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Raising a hand in greeting, Erus approaches Oshika with a warm smile: "Hail Oshika, do you know when we can expect our new friends to arrive, or where they are? The kabuki theater is apparently quite worth a visit."

15. - Top - End - #375
    Troll in the Playground

Kyuden Gotei - holding cells near SW docks
    The lady nods her head, closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, indicating her readiness for what's to come.
    Spoiler: Kyorlin
    Show

Feel free to write whatever description you see fitting here; What's done, how she reacts, etc.
    Her Fort save is +2 | Will at +5

Kyuden Gotei - rocks near Western Bay
    The old man reacts minimally to the questions. He gives a shrug, shakes his head, and to the suggestion of Kabuki, he gives a *shooing* motion. Clearly not in the mood to be roused from his spot of meditation and what is likely an extended conjuration, he maintains the great bulk of his concentration on his task.

more

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"You sure are missing out on a good time. Tomorrow I shall be back, a fair maiden surely waits for my warmth." Chuckling to himself, Erus sets out to find the kabuki theater.
    I wonder if the stories of beautiful strangers will be common enough for them to be wary. Oh well.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Troll in the Playground

When Erus makes the (time consuming) trek to returns to the gate north of the barracks, he finds the gate mostly closed and guards standing there. They halt Erus and ask him his destination. With the mention of the Kabuki they shake their heads. "Sorry, citizen. We hoped everyone would have heard. Business is to be closed today due to an Oni attack. Are you affiliated with a Magistrate or a dignitary?

more

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Looking mildly surprised at the reason Erus puts on a disappointed air: "I had it recommended by Guard-Captain Toro, I did not realize that the Oni attack was this serious. How grave were the casualties?"
    Listening to their answer he continues:
    "But my evening seems shot, do you perhaps know of any places that would be worth-while for someone with coins to spend and boredom to chase away?"

19. - Top - End - #379

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

She flinches at first, hissing out the breath she was holding. She doubles over, completely submitted to the pain. Kyorlin lets off the pressure so she can confess her guilt as he holds the kython crystal to her.

As she wishes confessing her crimes the crystal glows indicating that its done.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Troll in the Playground

Kyuden Gotei - near Barracks.
    The guards look at each other and the the one that spoke addresses Erus, We would not discuss such details with a citizen if we had them. However...
    The man looks at his orders, scrunched his eyes as if he's trying to read more of the orders -- the orders are only a few lines -- and sighs as he puts them away.
    We must be vigilant to avoid other incidents. It sounds like you might know about this if you talked with Guard-Captain Toro. Would you mind accompanying us to the Barracks next door so we can talk there? The captain is tight-lipped about this and we could use more information.

more

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Shaking his head slightly, Erus explains with a slight smile: "I'm afraid I haven't heard anything new since I spoke with him, but if you think he wants to speak with me once more I can wait. Everything seemed under control when I left the bank, did something new happen?"

22. - Top - End - #382
    Troll in the Playground

The pain given by the Large Magistrate is not without mercy. The crystal he holds aloft ripples with internal light as she hisses and talks, as she tells her story and as she cries, her head close to the floor. Several minutes pass, as she reaches deep insider herself and goes past the recent events and feverishly recounds misdeeds of her childhood and retaliation she's taken against her siblings. The crystal seems to dance, even, in the sort of mental flagellation she gives herself...and it slows as she does, as she sags from pain and the fatigue of the hold she's in. Her body seems to protest, but as Kyorlin lets her up she has better posture.

When she's been freed of the stance she looks oddly at the crystal, as if it could pull away her blood and essence like the former man tortured to death, and she states, "This one would...find mercy and give aid to the Magistrate Kyorlin for his forgiveness."

The two men that had been "prophets of the Voice" chuckle to themselves and one of them says to Kyorlin, "The lady is still weak from clinging to her past. She should suffer as we did."
    "Yes, have her memory erased, all for the good of starting over."
    "...But we remember those crystals. Not even the Voice can make them."
    "It relies on others to make them."
    "Yes. It said that one of the Makers will die a terrible death and we must know our insignificance to prepare for greater things."

Kyuden Gotei - near Barracks.
    The guards look uncomfortable. "Please, merchant, come with us so we can talk inside. They motion past the Dojo --where the attack happened--and towards the "real" Barracks, further back and, as it's on a slight slope, what seems to be a Y-shape. The one man who leaves the gate leads Erus to his own personal room near the front. He excuses himself for a few moments, and although there's a little commotion from the larger barracks area, he returns within a few minutes. He has a tray with a tea pot and some cups, and he motions for Erus to get comfortable.

"You have the look of a foreigner about you, so it's understandable you may not know of our customs. We do not talk about the past disgrace of another in public. We do not gossip about others of the military in public. If Guard-Captain Toro gave time to talk, then this merchant is important. He motions, of course, to Erus. He lets the tea sit and as he continues to talk, he prepares some paper, clears it of any dust, prepares a well, a brush, and ink.

"Toro was a lord last time this city had an attack. The area his guards were supposed to protect had been overworked. They were tired and failed in their duties. Many of them died to the Oni that arrived here, and the surviving ones failed to adequately protect the citizens. Many merchants clamored for his death, and Lord Toro submitted himself to Lord Yoritomo by the Old Way, offering himself to his sword. The Lord Yoritomo, in his great wisdom, forbade him death, and instead stripped him of title and castle, and had him become a simple guard in the city he failed to protect.

Toro's family all killed themselves as they saw would be proper, but he bore his punishment and earned his good standing. But he is cautious now, and does not share any information unless it's vital to us...which is a weakness in its own right. I hope you understand. If it's not too much trouble, recount to me your conversation.

As he listens, he writes a bit and then pours the tea. This one tastes of jasmine and various other soft flavors in the background, one that a refined palette might have trouble teasing out.

more

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Erus thanks the guard for the tea.
    "I am afraid that was a private conversation, a valuable piece of information I would think. Mr... ?"
    Leaving a pause for the guard to introduce himself and offer incentive to share this information, Erus drinks from the tea and savors the taste.

24. - Top - End - #384

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Helps the woman out of the cell, you can wait for me here or head off to collect your things and meet me at the Maiden's tickle. Writing her a pardon he hands it to her and walks back into the cell with foreign god worshipers.

Now do you worship a foriegn god or not?

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

The men look at each other and give each other searching looks. Finally, the second one replies, "The Voice is not a God, and it is not a Kami. The Voice is but a Spirit. But when it gathers the knowledge it needs, it will Ascend to become a Greater Kami, what you might call a God, and it shall reward its faithful. We spread the word of uselessness of mankind: All will fall before the Dark Voice. Cease your struggles and submit your wills to its inevitable rise."

Ms. Yokohama shudders at hearing their voices and makes her way out of the holding area, clutching her pardon as if were her life raft in the midst of a stormy sea.

Kyuden Gotei E - Main Barracks.
    The guard starts and bows awkwardly over the table. "So respectful! Sergeant Tokisha, of Yoritomo's command. And you are?

...Anyways, Toro is very serious about his duties at the bank, but he doesn't share much information with the rest of us, which is sometimes problematic. Now, we might get this information later, but...it makes many of us nervous. Is that understood?

more

26. - Top - End - #386

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Glares at them and as soon as the Ms. Yokohama is out of ear shot Well then if you are released what are your plans? Preaching in the street? A pilgrimage perhaps?

I can't have you causing a scene on this island.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Troll in the Playground

The men in their cells ponder this and then decide for themselves. "Yes, a pilgrimage would be nice."
    <<But first, we must tell these ones on this island! Their efforts to resist The Voice are futile! It will even destroy The Shadow, and cleanse the ground! Is that not worthy enough of a cause?>>

more

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Giving him a smile, Erus inclines his head at the Sergeant.
    "Erasmus Bjerg at your service."

Taking another sip from the tea to give him time to think:
    "Mostly we spoke of how to utilize shapeshifters in infiltration of an enemy country. Take the place of an important official and subtly sabotage the preparedness of his subordinates, isolating him from friends and family, breaking down cooperation between different branches, you know trust and knowledge sharing, that kind of thing. Then a bit about the Oni and where I could get a drink."

29. - Top - End - #389

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

That won't do, sorry you will have to remain here. goes to another prisoner.

Outside of Mr. Oano cell, You believe failure in your crime makes you innocent yes? If you are freed are you going back to the try agian or are you done causing trouble?

30. - Top - End - #390
    Troll in the Playground

The other "memory-wiped" men answer before Mr. Oano can speak. <<He is an evil man, full of cunning.>>
    "He sees the world as a tool, and he cares little for even his children."
    <<They are a means to an end. He is useless.>>

Mr. Oano recoils and stammers, "S-stop!! I-I don't know what you're--"

<<We feel the thoughts of fumeiona Oano. He lacks grace.">> The second man names him dishonored

"SHUT UP!! I'LL..C'MERE!!" The man Oano reaches out of his bars and tries to grab one of the men, relatively close to him. Although he grasps clothes, the "broken" man is able to wrench his clothes free after it rips a little from the struggle.

<<Your thoughts are of murder and violence. You want to kill me! Yes!! That's it, Mr. Oano!! Now take your feelings and turn them to yourself!! I can read your thoughts!! Feel your worthlessness, feel your WRATH!!>>
    The first "broken" man chimes in, "Let your anger guide you to your failure. You failed to do what you wanted. Oano wanted to make his life better, but he was caught because of weakness and stupidity.

"SHUT UP! BE QUIET!! IDIOT!! OOONNIIII!!" Mr. Oano, now feverish in his attempts to reach the other two men that--clearly--have an unnerving effect on him, struggles against the metal bars that contain him.

<<This is what you tell yourself, and resist against. Kill yourself and submit your mind to the Voice that Comes. It will be back here...soon.>>
    "And the Voice will eat your divided mind, too, Magistrate. You must submit your mind as he comes to decrease your suffering."
    <<Yes, it comes. None can kill it, even a powerful twin soul like yourself!!>>

The two men become visibly excited, animated for their first time in a while. They look with excitement at an angle to the stone walls that contain them. They must see past the walls themselves, and Kyorlin feels his mind itself being assaulted by a terrible, mind-grating voice. It is nothing like the Dark Voice he's encountered with the utterly cold darkness and the voice like a furnace; This voice cuts into his mind as a knife drags through flesh. Kyorlin has the feeling this is, mercifully, at a great distance, but he still feels the terrible danger it gives him. It speaks, then into his mind.

Where is it, young one? Where is the blood-binder? Your thoughts say you would kill it, but you have no memories of its death!! Where is the creature Tun?!? WHERE IS IT?! Each word feels like a blow to the head. Kyorlin reels, and he vaguely becomes aware of the two men, the "broken" men screeching and cheering, yelling and proclaiming that the Magistrate's death is near.

Where is Tun, young one?

Kyuden Gotei E - Main Barracks
    Sergeant Toshika writes several notes, nodding as Erus speaks. He takes a sip of tea, and squints his eyes. "Shapeshifters, how...interesting. Do you know, foreigner of the Hengeyokai? The animal-spirits that wear semihuman form? Those are the only shapeshifters we know of that are not twisted by the Taint. Just as the Evil of Fu Leng, the Greater Kami of Evil, the Twelfth Aspect of Creation, corrupts the land and the order of creatures' forms, the definite nature of men and beast become...impermanent by the Taint. But...

But the Hengeyokai are creatures blessed by Chikushudo, the land of Animals and Nature, that have lived here in Ningen-do, and forgotten how just to be wild beasts, just as they wish to communicate with Mankind. And so they exist between Beast and Man.

...So what brings you to Kyuden Gotei? Which merchant family do you serve?

more