New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: You just gained a level in real life! What class would you take?

I guess I'd take the first level in wizard. I don't think I'd be happy with it, or enjoy having it, but I could sell few spells to people, possibly make scrolls. The extra income from that would be nice. If I survived long enough to get to higher levels, I could take feats for things I might want.

EDIT; I could try cleric, with the right two domains I could still take Polymorph any Object (Construct Domain, also includes Limited Wish on the way up there), and a few other useful things not on the base spell list. And feel slightly better about it. But building around being able to cast a list of spells I can count on one hand isn't what I'd do with a tabletop character. Frustrating myself a bit thinking about all the options.

EDIT AGAIN; Okay, I'm taking my first level in Pathfinder Cleric, Construct and Fur Domains. No proper god, but rather the balance of nature and technology, animal and machine as an ideal. I'd probably get a bit ritualistic in short order, but that will take a few years. |3

Taking Thematic Channeling because the aesthetics of it are too hard to resist.

That makes my domain spells Magic Fang and Animate Rope. Not an impressive start. I could prepare Comprehend Languages to watch foreign movies, and Summon Monster I when I want animals to do stuff for me.

Predator’s Grace and Artificer’s Touch I could get plenty of use out of, never pay for repairs again.
    Last edited by TherianTheorist; 2019-01-31 at 01:19 AM.
    "Life before death, Strength before weakness, Journey before destination."

Baking werewolf by Diremage
    Spoiler: Oddly true
    Show
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Beastly Squall avatar by linklele. Awesome Protean avatar by Serpentine.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I'm surprised by the number of Oracles: I don't want a curse! Divine magic is attractive tough, so I think I would go cloistered cleric instead, my best charcteristics are probably costitution and wisdom so it fits. Without a God, so I don't risk creating Gods like someone else said. Wouldn't want to spend too much time in a monastery tough, I hope spending a lot of time at home reading stuff on the internet counts as cloistered. I could Too bad that I don't get unlimited Orisons, maybe I should look for a pathfinder equivalent, and a way to gain prestidigitation would be nice. Healing people would take very little time but earn resonable money, unless there's a lot of healers all of a sudden, or I can sell same augury or other divinations, and I can use a profession to earn even more with all the skill points I get, or just have fun the rest of the time. Domainns might be Knowledge, Craft, and Healing. Or maybe knowledge, Charm, and Lust? That would be fun, too :D Can' whait for extra domains from contemplative, I'm sure those 10 years will fly.

Cloistered Cleric 1

Domains: Knowledge, Healing, Charm

Feats: Negotiator, augmented healing (from beeing human)?

Str: 9
    Dex: 8
    Con: 13
    Int: 10
    Wis: 12
    Cha: 11

But I'm over 35 (36) so that would become

Str: 8
    Dex: 7
    Con: 12
    Int: 11
    Wis: 13
    Cha: 12
    Last edited by Kartemest; 2019-01-31 at 12:40 AM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pathfinder does have Cloistered Clerics, they're in Ultimate Magic. Not sure about the prestidigitation, though.
    "Life before death, Strength before weakness, Journey before destination."

Baking werewolf by Diremage
    Spoiler: Oddly true
    Show
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Beastly Squall avatar by linklele. Awesome Protean avatar by Serpentine.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kartemest View Post
    I'm surprised by the number of Oracles: I don't want a curse!
    It's not so bad. My Curse prevents me from taking a move action on the first round of combat. I don't even plan to ever be in combat. And if for some reason I wind up in a fight, I can cast spells just fine without taking a move action.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by cardrian View Post
    Pathfinder does have Cloistered Clerics, they're in Ultimate Magic. Not sure about the prestidigitation, though.
    They are very, very underwhelming tough. They get to add a big bonus to their knowledge skills eventualy, but they loose a lot from regular cleric and don't get much else in return. They don't even get that many skill points. They also feel quite different from 3.5 cloistered cleric.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Pixie in the Playground

Would you allow 5e, because I only know 5e.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bobshark View Post
    Would you allow 5e, because I only know 5e.
    Could you answer that for me, too?

I’m learning 5e.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I think the 5e forum has their own version of this thread. If not, why not go make one? 5e isn't really appropriate for the 3.5 subforum, especially when they have their own.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

5e has its own forum, so I'm afraid it's out of the scope of this thread.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Correct. We talked about the Otherworldly feat earlier, and I said that you could replace the prerequisite with something like a Heritage feat, for example. Or for Mercantile Background, you could qualify by actually owning your own shop, by having a degree in business, etc. But you couldn't ignore the prerequisite entirely.
    So I haven`t chosen any feats (just class levels) but I think I want to now. One I want is troll blooded. Would that mean one of my ancestors *AHEMED* with a troll? So would this retroactively make trolls real? Would my taking this feat lock others out if they don`t live in the same region as me? I`d hate to block someone like that, but I think it could be handy to be able to donate body parts with no long term effects.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

11. - Top - End - #311
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    So I haven`t chosen any feats (just class levels) but I think I want to now. One I want is troll blooded. Would that mean one of my ancestors *AHEMED* with a troll? So would this retroactively make trolls real? Would my taking this feat lock others out if they don`t live in the same region as me? I`d hate to block someone like that, but I think it could be handy to be able to donate body parts with no long term effects.
    First of all, you're assuming Trolls aren't real. Maybe they're just really good at hiding.

More seriously, just because Troll-Blooded is a regional feat doesn't mean it has to be tied to region from a fluff standpoint. That is to say, if Trolls exist, there's no reason for them to only exist in one geographic location. If Trolls exist in one form or another everywhere, then anybody could in theory be descended from them. Also, it's not clear how many generations you are removed from your Troll ancestor. It could in theory be some sort of atavism thing, where living in a harsh climate triggers your latent genes.

Also, there's a 9th level spell called Teleport Through Time that lets you go into the past. With something resembling the plot of a campy time travel movie,you could get yourself some Troll heritage. That being said, time travel is weird and almost certain dangerous, and possibly universe-destroying...

...So make sure to cast some divination spells to see if it's a good idea.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

I mean, assuming I can do a no deity cleric, it's gotta be cleric. Healing is just too good, and intelligently applied could make you insanely rich.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hackulator View Post
    I mean, assuming I can do a no deity cleric, it's gotta be cleric. Healing is just too good, and intelligently applied could make you insanely rich.
    There's a LOT of things which, if intelligently applied, could make you insanely rich. However:
    The spells that would be in really big demand on the Cleric list (Remove Disease, Remove Blindness/Deafness) are 3rd level (Remove Paralysis is 2nd, but only works on temporary forms anyway). The earlier stuff is really handy... but most of what you'd be using to make money? It's show. Nearly any spell would do.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

14. - Top - End - #314

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    There's a LOT of things which, if intelligently applied, could make you insanely rich. However:
    The spells that would be in really big demand on the Cleric list (Remove Disease, Remove Blindness/Deafness) are 3rd level (Remove Paralysis is 2nd, but only works on temporary forms anyway). The earlier stuff is really handy... but most of what you'd be using to make money? It's show. Nearly any spell would do.
    I mean, it really depends on how you think the D&D stuff would apply in real life, but under at least one reasonable ruling you could save the life of anyone who had been seriously injured in an accident with a single cure light wounds spell.
    Last edited by Hackulator; 2019-02-05 at 12:04 AM.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalkra View Post
    First of all, you're assuming Trolls aren't real. Maybe they're just really good at hiding.
    Trolls live in the internet. It's a series of tubes deep underground that crisscrosses the world. Lately, humans have taken to sending information through it. It works pretty well, but sometimes the trolls are able hijack discussions.

16. - Top - End - #316

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Trolls live in the internet. It's a series of tubes deep underground that crisscrosses the world. Lately, humans have taken to sending information through it. It works pretty well, but sometimes the trolls are able hijack discussions.
    You have to be Russian to buy that regional feat....

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

This one's easy. The regional requirement is frost barbarians, snow barbarians, or ice barbarians. So, clearly, you just need the Frozen Berserker feat! Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Hackulator View Post
    Sure, as long as you have a strong faith in an ideal, it doesn't have to correspond to a particular religion.

18. - Top - End - #318

Devil

This one's easy. The regional requirement is frost barbarians, snow barbarians, or ice barbarians. So, clearly, you just need the Frozen Berserker feat! Problem solved.
    You need to be able to rage for that. Can I qualify with the rage spell, and/or is there some magic item that lets me rage?

On an unrelated note, thinking about Spelljammers and space and stuff, does it say anywhere what radiation does to you? I mean, is it elemental damage, ability damage, what?
    Last edited by Kalkra; 2019-02-05 at 10:23 AM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

You need to be able to rage for that. Can I qualify with the rage spell, and/or is there some magic item that lets me rage?

On an unrelated note, thinking about Spelljammers and space and stuff, does it say anywhere what radiation does to you? I mean, is it elemental damage, ability damage, what?
    Pathfinder has an entry for it; Primary con drain, secondary str damage, treated as a poison. Other variables depend on intensity of the exposure.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm... Could I qualify by being a native american from the north east? If it helps, my tribe is known for being jerks.

Also, the lich loved feat. Just, just no.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

It is still 1st level only so I'm pretty sure neither of those is feasible for this purpose even if they do count.

Hmm... Could I qualify by being a native american from the north east? If it helps, my tribe is known for being jerks.
    I don't have the context to judge this. Tell you what, look up some of the lore on that culture in Greyhawk, and then if you think it's reasonably congruent with your tribe, it should be okay.

22. - Top - End - #322

Devil

It is still 1st level only so I'm pretty sure neither of those is feasible for this purpose even if they do count.
    a) Versatile Spellcaster.
    b) Artificer and scrolls (that's really pushing it, I'll admit).
    c) Somebody who's a few levels higher could craft an item and give it to me.
    d) Losing and regaining levels cheese.
    e) Chaos Shuffle should in theory work. 1st level only is under "special", not "requirements", so you should still be able to get it. That may depend on how much of a RAI universe this is, though.
    f) I'm sure there's other cheese.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

a) Versatile Spellcaster.
    Only works for spells you know.

b) Artificer and scrolls (that's really pushing it, I'll admit).
    c) Somebody who's a few levels higher could craft an item and give it to me.
    Items don't count, and you have no way of getting them even if they did.

d) Losing and regaining levels cheese.
    What? How? At level 1?

e) Chaos Shuffle should in theory work. 1st level only is under "special", not "requirements", so you should still be able to get it. That may depend on how much of a RAI universe this is, though.
    Being under "special" rather than "prerequisites" makes it so that leveling up past level 1 doesn't cause you to lose the prerequisites of the feat. It doesn't mean that it has no rules meaning.

f) I'm sure there's other cheese.
    Sorry, I don't know of any way to do it at level 1.

24. - Top - End - #324

Devil

Only works for spells you know.
    Tell that to a Sha'ir. (He saw somebody of a higher level cast it.)

What? How? At level 1?
    You get to a higher level, do whatever it is that lets you qualify (PaO oughta do it), then lose a bunch of levels, take the feat, and get the levels back.

Sorry, I don't know of any way to do it at level 1.
    Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu. Or incantations. Or any of the other things I'm sure exist but can't think of offhand.

EDIT: Isn't there something with sacrificing somebody and getting a wish?
    Last edited by Kalkra; 2019-02-05 at 09:53 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Yes, the Book of Vile Darkness has rules for that. You need to make a pretty high Knowledge Religion check (DC 50?).

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Tell that to a Sha'ir. (He saw somebody of a higher level cast it.)
    Okay, first off, sha'irs aren't spontaneous casters, and secondly, even if they were, Versatile Spellcaster would still only work on spells they know.

You get to a higher level, do whatever it is that lets you qualify (PaO oughta do it), then lose a bunch of levels, take the feat, and get the levels back.
    I mean...if you have PAO, do you really need Troll-Blooded? Can't you just turn into something that already regenerates and save yourself some trouble?

Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu. Or incantations. Or any of the other things I'm sure exist but can't think of offhand.

Bold of you to assume such things exist. I suppose you probably have the ability to speak—why haven't you already tried the Pazuzu trick?
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2019-02-05 at 10:26 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

I mean...if you have PAO, do you really need Troll-Blooded? Can't you just turn into something that already regenerates and save yourself some trouble?
    As an Ex special quality, PaO doesn't grant it. Well, unless it comes from subtypes, which you do get....

28. - Top - End - #328

Devil

Okay, first off, sha'irs aren't spontaneous casters, and secondly, even if they were, Versatile Spellcaster would still only work on spells they know.
    Dang, misread Versatile Spellcaster.

...Got me there. I suppose that some solutions to a problem assume that the problem doen't really exist.

Bold of you to assume such things exist. I suppose you probably have the ability to speak—why haven't you already tried the Pazuzu trick?
    Pazuzu doesn't come if you know what his whole deal is, I think. He probably also would come if he saw in your mind that you were gonna get a Candle of Invocation or something and never call him again. I'd need some pretty deep mental programming to convince myself that Pazuzu is a great guy and I want to call him a lot, and tell all my friends about him, until after the first wish, at which point I'd regain my memories. That, or convince some poor patsy to do it for me.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

Missed two of the previous ones, oh well, let's start getting EXP today!

Human Warlord (Desperado) 1
    Lawful Neutral Medium humanoid (human)
    Init +2
    Languages: Common?
    AC 12 (+2 Dex), Touch 12, Flat-footed 10
    HP 11 (1d10+1)
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref +2, Will -1
    Speed: 30 ft
    Melee: Unarmed -1 (1d3-1/x2)
    Ranged: Battered Musket (it’s a class feature) (1d12/x4, 40ft increment)
    Abilities: Strength 8, Dexterity 14 (12+2), Constitution 12, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 9, Charisma 13.
    Feats: Amateur Gunslinger (Quick Clear, bonus feat), Gunsmithing (bonus feat), Point-Blank Shot, Precise Shot
    Traits: Unorthodox Tradition (Golden Lion to Veiled Moon)
    Class features: Warlord’s Gambit (Deadeye Gambit, Victory Gambit)
    Skills (4 +1 FC + 1 human): Acrobatics +6, Diplomacy +5, Perception +3, Sleight of Hand +6, Knowledge (Engineering) +4, Stealth +6
    Maneuvers:
    1st level: Prince’s Attitude (ST, Boost), Slipstream Strike (TG, Strike), Dimensional Strike (VM, Strike), Steady Hand (SW, Boost), Horizon Wind Lancet (SW, Boost), Leaping Dragon (TD, Boost)
    Stances:
    1st level: Sniper’s Eye Stance (TG)

Note to self: get a Reliable Revolver at some further point.
    Last edited by Ignimortis; 2019-02-06 at 12:27 AM.
    Elezen Dark Knight avatar by Linklele
    Favourite classes: Beguiler, Scout, Warblade, 3.5 Warlock, Harbinger (PF:PoW).

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll take my first level of Egoist with the Minor Change Shape ACF.

Abilities: Str 8, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 9, Cha 11

Feats: Hidden Talent (Psionic Minor Creation), Overchannel

Skills: Concentration 4, Autohypnosis 4, Heal 4

Powers: Far Hand, Telempathic Projection, Create Sound

Mostly for the unlimited shapechanging, though the powers would also come in useful.