New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: You just gained a level in real life! What class would you take?

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    Maybe I'll take Run as a feat instead of leadership.
    I don't know, I think I'd rather have minions than being able to run faster. But that's just me.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ColorBlindNinja View Post
    I don't know, I think I'd rather have minions than being able to run faster. But that's just me.
    You don't need to outrun the tiger, you just need to outrun one of your minions.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Doesn't work in D20. Minion AoOs won't slow the tiger down, Run is actually the stronger option...

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    You don't need to outrun the tiger, you just need to outrun one of your minions.
    I was thinking of having them do chores.

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Doesn't work in D20. Minion AoOs won't slow the tiger down, Run is actually the stronger option...
    Assuming the tiger doesn't stop chasing you to eat the minions.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

I mean, the least cheesy (IMO) method of immortality is, erm, Steal Youth (plus Desecrate or Unhallow), cast on a clone of myself, or on a willing masochist. But that still leaves me wanting a new body.

FYI, what I want on the spells front is, given infinite feats, infinite spells known. Is there a simple feat to fill that bill?
    If you're willing to wait until epic, there's Ioulaum's Longevity. Effectively Disintegrate with a 120foot radius, and any living creature you kill adds a year to your current age category. Any living creature would, I believe, include massive amounts of, say, flies, mosquitoes, whatever, bred just for this. One shot of that every 100000 years or so would do the trick, eh?

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Drysdan View Post
    If you're willing to wait until epic, there's Ioulaum's Longevity. Effectively Disintegrate with a 120foot radius, and any living creature you kill adds a year to your current age category. Any living creature would, I believe, include massive amounts of, say, flies, mosquitoes, whatever, bred just for this. One shot of that every 100000 years or so would do the trick, eh?
    If you want to be immortal, you can use the spell Kissed by the Ages. The only hiccup is that you have to have someone else cast the spell on you.
    Last edited by ColorBlindNinja; 2019-01-05 at 08:41 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

I didn't realize this was a continuation; otherwise, I would have posted sooner.

Human Druid, going for Druid5/Planar Shepherd10/Druid+X.

Alternatively, Human Cloistered ClericX - possibly with other full casting PrCs like Contemplative and Divine Disciple - with the Knowledge, Time, and Travel domains.
    Last edited by Endarire; 2019-01-05 at 11:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Firbolg in the Playground

I want to survive the heat death of the universe - keeping more than a single other sentient being around may prove challenging.

Of course, I'll happily bail on this universe, and live in a similarly immortal universe if that's an option, but I'm hedging my bets, in case it isn't.

So killing a living being once a year may prove difficult a Googleplex years from now.

If you want to be immortal, you can use the spell Kissed by the Ages. The only hiccup is that you have to have someone else cast the spell on you.
    That's quite the hiccup.
    Last edited by Quertus; 2019-01-05 at 09:03 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

That's quite the hiccup.
    Not so much if you have spells like Planar Binding, Simulacrum, ect.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Since we're discussing immortality, and since I already said I was going to use the Enlightened Philosopher archetype for Oracle, maybe someone can clarify how the capstone works?

It says I get auto-Reincarnate-d after 3 days of being dead. For purposes of this thread, does Reincarnate always make me a human? If not, does that line about being reincarnated "as a living example of the summoning of your chosen philosophy" let me pick a philosophy that says "humans are the best," and always come back as a human.

I see the Pathfinder version of Reincarnate can bring back a creature that died of old age. If I keep getting reborn, do I keep getting ability score increases for aging? Also, I see that Pathfinded bring-back-the-dead spells never cause you to lose levels. You just gain negative levels, and I'll have spells that cleanse those.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

20th level pathfinder wizards can become immortal, as can liches.

I may eventually just become a lich, using legal means, of course.

Same level I become a lich, I could take the living guise social talent who is LN, so that way, I’d have a LN human social identity, a LE lich social identity, and a NE vigilante identity. That said, if I do that I could only become a noble scion if I had domebody else do the lich ceramony for me, or married in a covenant marriage to somebody who is an evangelist of this guy: http://aonprd.com/DeityDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Haagenti

In place of becoming a noble scion, I may instead become an evangelist of mammon. As tempting as being an evangelist of Haagenti would be, he is Chaotic, and I may rely too much on law and following established proceedures for him to accept me.

Mammon is lawful: http://aonprd.com/DeityDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Mammon
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 2019-01-05 at 10:21 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132

MindFlayer

I want to survive the heat death of the universe - keeping more than a single other sentient being around may prove challenging.

Of course, I'll happily bail on this universe, and live in a similarly immortal universe if that's an option, but I'm hedging my bets, in case it isn't.

So killing a living being once a year may prove difficult a Googleplex years from now.

Doesn't help with your first point, but it's not once a year. You can stockpile the years. And if 'any living creature' qualifies, then a colony of bacteria qualifies as several million years worth of extra living, at least. Spend a few years breeding and killing bacteria, and a googolplex isn't such a big number.
    Last edited by Crichton; 2019-01-05 at 10:26 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Spend a few years breeding and killing bacteria, and a googolplex isn't such a big number.
    Actually, a googleplex is more than all the particles in the universe.

14. - Top - End - #134

MindFlayer

Actually, a googleplex is more than all the particles in the universe.
    Yes, well, the heat death of the universe is only 10100 years away, so a googolplex is quite overkill. Besides, the way bacteria multiply, farming and killing them (surely an easily semi-automated task, with magic), from now until then would most definitely add up.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spend a few years breeding and killing bacteria, and a googolplex isn't such a big number.
    Not in this thread: Sense of scale.

Even in a highly exaggerated estimation--using the Earth's entire 4.5 billion years of lifetime despite colonisation of bacteria way past that, assuming the entire crust surface area was covered in bacteria, and assuming past bacteria are automagically removed every reproduction cycle to give space to other bacteria--the ballparked number is just close to half a googol. Yes, I said googol, not googolplex.

Spoiler: But check out this overly exaggerated hypothetical calculation
    Show
    There are roughly 1078 atoms in the observable universe, so let's make the ridiculous notion that bacteria can even be that small. The kicker here is that: Bacterial growth can no longer be exponential because you already crammed the maximum number of possible existence in the available space of the universe, so each generation just adds a factor of 1078. Let's make this bacteria create a new generation every 20 minute like E. Coli.

Even with a given 10100 years to work with, which is really just less than 6 x 10105 minutes, this gives us 3 x 10104 generations of 1078 individual living creatures per generation. Even with ridiculously understated overestimated calculation, that just gives you 3 x 10182 living creatures that could be crammed within the temporal and spatial limits of the universe.

TL; DR That number is abysmally less than even googol2.

Googolplex? Not in this universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Not in this thread: Sense of scale.

Even in a highly exaggerated estimation--using the Earth's entire 4.5 billion years of lifetime despite colonisation of bacteria way past that, assuming the entire crust surface area was covered in bacteria, and assuming past bacteria are automagically removed every reproduction cycle to give space to other bacteria--the ballparked number is just close to half a googol. Yes, I said googol, not googolplex.

Spoiler: But check out this overly exaggerated hypothetical calculation
    Show
    There are roughly 1078 atoms in the observable universe, so let's make the ridiculous notion that bacteria can even be that small. The kicker here is that: Bacterial growth can no longer be exponential because you already crammed the maximum number of possible existence in the available space of the universe, so each generation just adds a factor of 1078. Let's make this bacteria create a new generation every 20 minute like E. Coli.

Even with a given 10100 years to work with, which is really just less than 6 x 10105 minutes, this gives us 3 x 10104 generations of 1078 individual living creatures per generation. Even with ridiculously understated overestimated calculation, that just gives you 3 x 10182 living creatures that could be crammed within the temporal and spatial limits of the universe.

TL; DR That number is abysmally less than even googol2.

Googolplex? Not in this universe.
    (10^100)^(10^100)...Can you even WRITE a googlex?

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    (10^100)^(10^100)...Can you even WRITE a googlex?
    I don't know this "googlex" you speak of, but yes I can write googolplex: it's 10googol, which is ridiculously greater than 10182

What you wrote, (10^100)^(10^100) is pretty much googolgoogol, which is way higher than googolplex, but is completely different.

You are welcome.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2019-01-06 at 12:10 AM.
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

First time participating, unfortunately.

I'm picking a Druid. Using the non-elite array, that gives me stats as follows:

Str 8
    Dex 10
    Con 9
    Int 12
    Wis 13
    Cha 11

Modern world strength isn't as important as the mental stats, particularly since I don't intend to be fighting. I'd take the Natural Bond feat to pick up a black bear animal companion, then probably invisible spell. I'd focus on getting to know nature and working with my animal companion (when I'm not still providing a living for my family). I'd also spend a good deal of time hunting (Detect Animals or Plants, Hide from Animals, Pass without Trace, Guidance, and Know Direction are very helpful). Skills are going into Handle Animal (4), Knowledge (nature) (4), Spot (2), Listen (2), Survival (4), Move Silently (2), and Hide (2).
    One of my players: "I hate you. I spent like...3 hours pouring over lists of items for bards. Reading, learning, analyzing, trying to improve my knowledge of the game, as I have a major decision coming up. You know what I decided after all of this? Vest of Resistance +3. Simply because you are that evil. No Cloak of Charisma, no Bardic Music enhancers. NOPE. VEST OF RESISTANCE."

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know this "googlex" you speak of, but yes I can write googolplex: it's 10googol, which is ridiculously greater than 10182

What you wrote, (10^100)^(10^100) is pretty much googolgoogol, which is way higher than googolplex, but is completely different.

You are welcome.
    I wasn’t clear, to be fair, and I meant to write “googolplex” but made a typo I didn’t notice. I more or less ommitted the letters “olp” from the middle of the word.

I meant the question more along these lines:
    https://plus.maths.org/content/too-b...too-big-graham

As in, could you write a 1 then ALL the 0s after it.

Of course, nobody can do it THAT way.

I also looked up the name of googlegoogle, and appearently, its called a Googolplexian

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WesleyVos View Post
    First time participating, unfortunately.

I'm picking a Druid. Using the non-elite array, that gives me stats as follows:

Str 8
    Dex 10
    Con 9
    Int 12
    Wis 13
    Cha 11

Modern world strength isn't as important as the mental stats, particularly since I don't intend to be fighting. I'd take the Natural Bond feat to pick up a black bear animal companion, then probably invisible spell. I'd focus on getting to know nature and working with my animal companion (when I'm not still providing a living for my family). I'd also spend a good deal of time hunting (Detect Animals or Plants, Hide from Animals, Pass without Trace, Guidance, and Know Direction are very helpful). Skills are going into Handle Animal (4), Knowledge (nature) (4), Spot (2), Listen (2), Survival (4), Move Silently (2), and Hide (2).
    I take it you are using 3.5 rules since you mentioned “spot” and “listen”. I almost suggested reincarnated druid, but I think that’s pathfinder only.

21. - Top - End - #141

Devil

Immortality is overrated. I propose an alternate suggestion:

1. Die.
    2. Take a level of ghost.
    3. ???
    4. Profit!

Higher level spellcasters might prefer liches and the like.

If dying doesn't tickle you pickle, or you're worried about the exact mechanics of becoming a ghost, you can try to get divine ranks somehow, probably involving Ice Assassins, although at that point you could just be using True Mind Switch. Or, y'know, just use PAO. (For best results, we recommend adding Reserves of Strength.)

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    I wasn’t clear, to be fair, and I meant to write “googolplex” but made a typo I didn’t notice. I more or less ommitted the letters “olp” from the middle of the word.

I meant the question more along these lines:
    https://plus.maths.org/content/too-b...too-big-graham

As in, could you write a 1 then ALL the 0s after it.

Of course, nobody can do it THAT way.

I also looked up the name of googlegoogle, and appearently, its called a Googolplexian
    Spoiler: let's spoiler tag this as it is kind of offtopic
    Show
    Absolutely right, and normally people wouldn't even write googol and googolplex numerically, despite being possible. That's why notations are useful in these cases. The downside is a lot of people unfortunately miss the sense of scale by throwing these terms around willy nilly, as shown upthread.

As for (10100)^(10^100), it can be expressed shorthand as these:
    • googolgoogol
    • googolplex100
    • 10100*googol

While these functionally equal terms are very large, they are still far less than googolplexian, which can be expressed as 10googolplex. It is easy to tell by comparing it to the last term above, 10100*googol: googolplex >> 100*googol

TL; DR
    googolplex << googolgoogol << googolplexian

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: let's spoiler tag this as it is kind of offtopic
    Show
    Absolutely right, and normally people wouldn't even write googol and googolplex numerically, despite being possible. That's why notations are useful in these cases. The downside is a lot of people unfortunately miss the sense of scale by throwing these terms around willy nilly, as shown upthread.

As for (10100)^(10^100), it can be expressed shorthand as these:
    • googolgoogol
    • googolplex100
    • 10100*googol

While these functionally equal terms are very large, they are still far less than googolplexian, which can be expressed as 10googolplex. It is easy to tell by comparing it to the last term above, 10100*googol: googolplex >> 100*googol

TL; DR
    googolplex << googolgoogol << googolplexian
    I was the math wizard in high school. I also teach remedial math to high school special education students. I feel like I’m losing my math touch, lately though. Its been harder to concentrate, I’m lethargic, I’m irratable, and don’t find things I used to find interesting that interesting anymore (its like I just go through the motions of living life).

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalkra View Post

1. Die.
    3. ???
    4. Profit!
    How are you going to gain a level if you're dead?

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    https://aonprd.com/DeityDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Mestama

be an evangelist of mestama, which since you are an evangelist and not a sentinel, will let you stay a male, as well. An evangelist who is venerable becomes a ghost.

Imagine the shock of a a man who became a sentinel and was suddenly transformed into a woman!

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalkra View Post

1. Die.
    3. ???
    4. Profit!

Higher level spellcasters might prefer liches and the like.

If dying doesn't tickle you pickle, or you're worried about the exact mechanics of becoming a ghost, you can try to get divine ranks somehow, probably involving Ice Assassins, although at that point you could just be using True Mind Switch. Or, y'know, just use PAO. (For best results, we recommend adding Reserves of Strength.)
    eh, there is easier ways for that.

i mean, sure you need to take it to 20 but monk 20 makes you outsider, and outsiders dont die from old age.
    same with abberations as far as i know.
    there is also the good ol' reincarnate service from a druid, if you can talk them into it and trust them enough.
    you could also use clones, sample taken after plymorphing into a yunger version of yourself ofc.
    or just make a new body for yourself and get your soul into it (might cause annoyance from random passing by creatures possesing it before you do so, but eh....)

27. - Top - End - #147

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Somehow people do the ghost savage progression. I was under the impression that you had to die for that. Maybe not. I don't really know.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    eh, there is easier ways for that.

i mean, sure you need to take it to 20 but monk 20 makes you outsider, and outsiders dont die from old age.
    same with abberations as far as i know.
    Does it say that anywhere? Because Aberrate is a level one spell. Get that on an item, or Persist it, and you can be an aberration forever. Also, if you're really good, you could get the Saint template (maybe), and it's theoretically possible you could become a Mulhorandi Divine Minion, and with a high-level druid and a willing elemental you could become a Ruvoka.
    Last edited by Kalkra; 2019-01-06 at 03:01 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

Does it say that anywhere? Because Aberrate is a level one spell. Get that on an item, or Persist it, and you can be an aberration forever. Also, if you're really good, you could get the Saint template (maybe), and it's theoretically possible you could become a Mulhorandi Divine Minion, and with a high-level druid and a willing elemental you could become a Ruvoka.
    I have no idea.
    I always thought abberations dont die of old age, though, that might be just the elans and im mistaken on general abberations....

On that note, what would happen if somone used a thought bottle to save thier memories, become an elan and used it again to regain the memories? would that still count as dieing as a person or not?

also, you can go through hoops and loops to become outsider with templates and PRCes, but i would make a special mention on that: Acolyte of the Skin.
    Sure, its a 5/10 caster progression, but it makes you an outsider AND lets you be revived normally.

IF the goal is being ageless, the best i found is the Cloud Anchorite, more preciselly, its capstone wich makes you ageless and removes the maximum age limit.
    Last edited by TheCount; 2019-01-06 at 03:16 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

That's quite the hiccup.
    Not if you have Major Creation and Polymorph Any Object available. Use Major Creation to make a thing, Polymorph Any Object to turn it into an Int-10 humanoid. Then 'eat' that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    IF the goal is being ageless, the best i found is the Cloud Anchorite, more preciselly, its capstone wich makes you ageless and removes the maximum age limit.
    Oracle. A couple o f the mystery capstones grant immortality. Whether that's via undeath (Occult) or rebirth (Heavens).
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2019-01-06 at 10:50 AM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

@ Troacctid: something I just realized when I rediscovered my sheets, that I forgot to clarify when I changed to Avowed:

Do Beings with Which to make Patron or Symbiote Pacts actually exist (or do I at least meet them once for the actual pactmaking)? As otherwise I`d be limited to either taking Nation or Self Pact or making one myself (if so, is the third option actually available, if yes, under which rules esactly)?

Thanks in advance. :)
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”