New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: You just gained a level in real life! What class would you take?

If you're taking class levels to gain immortality, all you need is Old Blood: Illithid and three levels of Illithid Savant.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Well apparently I did not realize I'd posted for the first year of this thread and taken a level of investigator. So I guess right now I'm an Investigator/Tactician. I think for this year I'm going to have to retrain that Investigator level away to get another Tactician level, and then take a 3rd level of tactician. That will net me telepathy with anyone in my collective, which will be great for staying in touch with people, although I don't have enough range on my collective yet to make it super useful. Still, I get an extra feat this year. I think I'll get myself a Psicrystal with Psicrystal Affinity.

So let's map this out so I can remember it going forward:

Nonelite array: STR 8, DEX 9, CON 12, INT 15 (13+2), WIS 11, CHA 10

Spoiler: Feats
    Show

Human- Toughness. It's boring, I know, but it's important to have the HP to survive since I don't have much of any in real life.
    1- Expanded Collective. With this, I can add more people to my collective, allowing me to communicate more freely and keep tabs on the important people in my life.
    3- Psicrystal Affinity. My dog will probably not be happy with an additional pet in the house, but I think he'll get over it. We'll take a nice Resolved personality for the boosted Will Save.

Spoiler: Powers
    Show

1st level Powers
    * Call to Mind. Spending PP to boost my knowledge checks will almost always come in handy.
    * Entangling Ectoplasm. Probably not useful day to day, but it will hopefully get me out of any trouble I might seriously find myself in should it come to that.

2nd level Powers

* Read Thoughts. Now we get to the real fun. This will make life so much easier. No more wondering if the dog has to go poop yet or what to get people for their birthdays. I can just read their minds and find out!

Now that I'm armed with Telepathy and Mind Reading, I should be in for a much better year. I hope.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Reposting from last time:

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Even though I posted in the first year, I never declared because I was weighing the pros and cons of being an undead abomination and eventually forgot.

Well, I'm a nay on that.

So, my first level will be a 3.5 Bard with the following stats:

Str 8, Dex 9, Con 10, Wis 15, Int 12, Cha 11.

For feats I'll grab Able Learner and for my human bonus I'll go with Great Fortitude because getting sick a dying sucks and I don't want anything vital on my human bonus feat because I won't stay human I'll take the +2 stat variant instead of the bonus feat.

I'll also pick two flaws; the standard gimmies of Murky-Eyed and Noncombatant, and use those to pick up Eschew Materials and Invisible Spell.

For spells, my four cantrips are mage hand, mending, prestidigitation, and summon instrument.

The build plan is Bard 1/Cloisterred Cleric 1/Human Paragon 3/Chameleon 10/Ardent 5. As feats really aren't an issue, I should end up with access to all 9th arcane and divine spells, and be able to slowly amass up to all 8th powers.

I intend to lay low, using some minor divinations to play the markets to amass whatever wealth I need anonymously, and then GTFO once all the GitPGers start struggling for world domination/destruction. Perhaps I will build a few arks to get the remnants of humanity to safety.

And yes, I am assuming that I am not unique here. Simply because the odds are good that if it's happened once, it's happened multiple times.
    So I'm now a Bard 1/Cloisterred Cleric 1. That means I have to do some thinking on domains...

4. - Top - End - #154

Devil

This is getting dangerously meta, but if GiantitP exists, so does this thread. That means that we all would have realized that we got our powers when we posted on it, and therefore realized that we weren't the only ones who got powers, and would presumably have begun to communicate with one another, or analyzed everybody else's posts so that we could take them out when necessary, depending on personality. That also raises interesting questions about what would happen if Troacctid decided to change things.

My head hurts.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

New thread: I just got a level in Psion in real life! Please help!
    Last edited by ColorBlindNinja; 2019-01-06 at 10:29 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ColorBlindNinja View Post
    Funny! Is this the 3.5 or PF version?

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    Funny! Is this the 3.5 or PF version?
    Well, I took a level in the 3.5 version (Egoist, to be precise).

8. - Top - End - #158

Devil

Kinda busy at the moment, but I Googled "psion handbook" and found three. Those oughta help.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kalkra View Post
    Kinda busy at the moment, but I Googled "psion handbook" and found three. Those oughta help.
    I was mostly joking, but thank you for the suggestion.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

This is getting dangerously meta, but if GiantitP exists, so does this thread. That means that we all would have realized that we got our powers when we posted on it, and therefore realized that we weren't the only ones who got powers, and would presumably have begun to communicate with one another, or analyzed everybody else's posts so that we could take them out when necessary, depending on personality. That also raises interesting questions about what would happen if Troacctid decided to change things.

My head hurts.
    Indeed.

One of the reasons I went for a simple class (barring Troacctid answering my question): less head pains ^^
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

I misread that as "poison handbook." Was worried for a moment there.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Bugbear in the Playground

Is there a web source for PF Psion? Just need to see those class features before I dip into it. Then it's bye bye social anxiety!
    The game doesn't start until you reach epic levels.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Weiser_Cain View Post
    Is there a web source for PF Psion? Just need to see those class features before I dip into it. Then it's bye bye social anxiety!
    I do believe this is the correct link.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Not if you have Major Creation and Polymorph Any Object available. Use Major Creation to make a thing, Polymorph Any Object to turn it into an Int-10 humanoid. Then 'eat' that.
    There are so few problems that PaO + Mindrape cannot solve.

Out of curiosity, why would I need Major Creation?

If you're taking class levels to gain immortality, all you need is Old Blood: Illithid and three levels of Illithid Savant.
    The first year, I (among other things) expressed my distaste for the squick of eating brains, and ruled out Illithid Savant. I did, however, go Elan for immortality (and for emergency boosts, since I thought I was losing my Epic Expert status and suddenly dropping back to 1st level, losing incredibly in the durability department compared to what I'm accustomed to).

Then, in the second year, the OP finally noticed, and says that I couldn't change race. And, while I claim no kinship with humans, I can't exactly claim to be an Elan, so I've been looking for new body & immortality hijinks ever since.

(Or, at least, that's what I remember, but I'm growing increasingly senile, and there were several similar threads around that period, so it's hard to say how closely my memory matches the facts.)

Point is, Illithid Savant is something I'd play, not something I'd be. Because squick.

My head hurts.
    I mean, I was an Elan for a year...

This kind of meta is part of why I'm as vague as I can be about what I'd do (not that it matters, really, as my goals are to am-scray if possible, or to persist otherwise). But it's also something I believe that I brought up in a previous year - is the person who is getting the powers making the choices? If so, then unless we are getting those powers, we are merely guessing as to what they'd do.

Or is a "powerless" version of us empowering an alternate reality us? If so, those people will be living different lives, and may be posting different things to their world's version of the thread - and, thus, may be quite confused by the results.

Head explode yet?
    Last edited by Quertus; 2019-01-07 at 06:20 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    There are so few problems that PaO + Mindrape cannot solve.

Out of curiosity, why would I need Major Creation?
    For dust to polymorph.

Could just use fingernail clippings or something, I suppose.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

16. - Top - End - #166

... What, exactly, do you believe would cure your social anxiety, and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    For dust to polymorph.

Could just use fingernail clippings or something, I suppose.
    I mean, if I've survived a Googleplex years, I imagine I'm not in the void of space... Plus, yeah, that whole organic growth thing.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

How does Reincarnate work in this setting? Does it always bring someone back as a human, or is the real world going to wind up with orcs and elves and things?

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    How does Reincarnate work in this setting?
    Ask the Dalai Lama.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

How does Reincarnate work in this setting? Does it always bring someone back as a human, or is the real world going to wind up with orcs and elves and things?
    Note that even if the races you can reincarnate into are locked into just humans, you could still switch genders.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    @ Troacctid: something I just realized when I rediscovered my sheets, that I forgot to clarify when I changed to Avowed:

Do Beings with Which to make Patron or Symbiote Pacts actually exist (or do I at least meet them once for the actual pactmaking)? As otherwise I`d be limited to either taking Nation or Self Pact or making one myself (if so, is the third option actually available, if yes, under which rules esactly)?

Thanks in advance. :)
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with the class. My rule of thumb though is to assume it's adapted appropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    1.: as it is my first level, can i switch the features of it, as this thread is still open?
    Sure.

2.: Dragon material was allowed, so, as long as it isnt updated somewhere else, its accepted, by a case-bycase basis, as long as i qualify for it?
    Dragon Magazine material is allowed.

3.:how does shapechange and other transformation effects work? for future references.....
    Could you be more specific?

Quote Originally Posted by TalonOfAnathrax View Post
    @Troaccid is great and should feel great. I like this thread idea a lot!

Question: Can I "feel" how much XP I've earned and can craft with, or is there a risk that I'll accidentally spend too much and lose a level?
    I'm not super familiar with crafting rules (hate them in-game, but would pick one IRL because I'm certain to have downtime).
    There is no risk of accidentally spending too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Zehinoc View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how will special requirements for prestige classes be treated? I'm specifically looking at Ur Priest's "The character must be trained by another ur-priest."

Edit: Also for the Ruby Knight Vindicator's "Must worship Wee Jas"
    Assume they're adapted appropriately for the setting. Honor system.

Quote Originally Posted by TalonOfAnathrax View Post
    Hey, would taking Leadership eventually allow me to give class levels to a sibling or SO ?
    If you chose them as a cohort, they'd level up alongside you, so...sure. The logic seems sound to me.

On a related note, as I retrain and continue Arcane Spellcaster, is there a feat to gain more spells known? If I'm immortal, I'd like to end up with "all the spells" eventually (and to be able to research my own, to boot!), but Arcane Spellcaster is a little shy in that department.
    Bloodline feats and Extra Spell are two well-known methods. There are a variety of prestige classes that will do it too. Gaining spell-like abilities, e.g. through a dragonmark, plays in similar space.

I dunno, the needs of an adventuring psion seem pretty different from the needs of an everyday psion.

You'd have to try it to find out. It's not unprecedent for different settings to have different reincarnation tables.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, effectively its a half psionic, one third pact dependant, ant otherwise Eldritch pathfinder Version of the Warlock. The Betatesting went on on this site (which is where I found it^^).

You choose a certain Type of Pact (Celestial, Fiendish, Fey, Dragon or similar are the problematic ones here) that gives you powers aside from your Invocations and a better eldritch Blast and explain also where you got those.

Since it is not clearly ruled if Gods/Fiends/whatever ALSO exist if we gain such a class (iirc you meant "You will find out) the existance of Pacts needing such things (that are prereqs for the class) are...in question.

If they should not exist, I dont like the Nation pact (not really into them^^) and the Self Pact presented is too much fisticuffs for my taste, so: They offer guidelines to vreate own pacts.

Hence my repeated question: Do Beings to "pact with" exist?

If not, can we create an own pact (would need to be focussed on a Principle, nation or somesuch)?
    Last edited by GrayDeath; 2019-01-07 at 07:35 PM.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

22. - Top - End - #172

Planetar

So I’m now a Dread Necromancer 2. With the nice damage reduction and the fact I can heal myself via tomb tainted soul means that I’m going be very tough to take down. I can also get up to 4 skeleton helpers a day so I’m doing great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post

What are the places: Elf-land. Dwarf-land. Ethnic-stereotype-land(s). And who could forget The Big Chill and Spooky-Underground-Elf-Land?

Necromance if you want to

We can bring your friends to life

But if your friends aren't dead and if they aren't dead then their no friends of mine

23. - Top - End - #173

... What, exactly, do you believe would cure your social anxiety, and why?

I mean, if I've survived a Googleplex years, I imagine I'm not in the void of space... Plus, yeah, that whole organic growth thing.
    Well, if I can read minds I can know people don't hate me as much as I think they do.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Well, if I can read minds I can know people don't hate me as much as I think they do.
    To be completely honest, I'm not certain I want to know what other people are thinking.
    Last edited by ColorBlindNinja; 2019-01-07 at 08:27 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175

To be completely honest, I'm not certain I want to know what other people are thinking.
    That's fair. To be honest myself, I only care about what certain people think of me.

26. - Top - End - #176

Standard D&D3.5e:
    Cloistered Cleric 1. Flaws as written into my backstory are Vulnerable and Poor Reflexes. Since my proper deity isn't statted up (for very good reasons), most likely dedicated to a philosophy; domains would probably be Knowledge, Planning, and Spell (since proving that magic is *real* would make it an instant desire for me to know more). Human, of course. We'll say my feats are Academic Priest, Knowledge Devotion, Persistent Spell, and Divine Metamagic (persist).

Pathfinder:
    Pre-unchained Summoner 1, Synthesist archetype. I naturally fit quite well into the "dumped Str & Dex, didn't prioritize Con" group, so Synthesist is a no-brainer. Same Flaws as above. But I'm actually getting sleepy now so I'll head off and finish this later.

27. - Top - End - #177

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Extra Spell
    That's the one, thanks! (Darn senility)

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

3.5 Warlock 1 for Beguiling Influence.

29. - Top - End - #179

Good idea for a thread. I've done a level 1 Pathfinder character. Maybe I'll add a 3.5 one later.

Spoiler: Pathfinder Level 1 Oracle
    Show

Human Oracle 1
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/human/
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/

Tongues Curse
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/bas...oracle-curses/

Alternate Racial Traits:
    Silver Tongued (+2 bonus Diplomacy and Bluff, shift attitude up to three steps, replaces skilled)
    Focused Study (Skill Focus 1st, 8th, and 16th level, replaces bonus feat)

Archetype:
    Enlightened Philosopher
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/bas...ed-philosopher

Stats:
    Str 9
    Dex 8
    Con 11
    Int 12
    Wis 10
    Cha 15 (includes +2 racial)

Languages:
    Common, Draconic (bonus from Int), Celestical (Tongues curse)

Feats:
    Extra Revelation (level 1)
    Skill Focus (Diplomacy) (Focused Study)
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/gener...-revelation-1/

Revelations (Lore Mystery):
    Focused Trance (Ex)
    Automatic Writing (Su) (Extra Revelation feat)
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/bas...ysteries/lore/

Traits and Drawback:
    Drawback (+1 traits):
    Righteous Indignation
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/draw...s-indignation/
    Traits (3):
    Student of Philosophy (Social)
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/soci...of-philosophy/
    Voice of Velvet (Racial)
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/race-...oice-of-velvet
    Possessed
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/possessed

Spells:
    Level 0 (4 known, unlimited):
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-s...d/detect-magic
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/mending
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-s...food-and-drink
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/stabilize

Level 1 (2 known, 4/day):
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-s...e-light-wounds
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-s...r/read-weather

Skills (+4 Oracle +1 Int +1 Favored Class):
    * Craft ("Writings"?)
    * Diplomacy
    * Knowledge (Engineering)
    * Knowledge (Arcana)
    * Knowledge (The Planes)
    * Spellcraft

Thoughts/features:
    Spoiler
    Show

• Schmott Guy. The unique (?) feature is the Focused Trance Lore Mystery oracle ability. 2/ day I can "make a single Intelligence-based skill check with a +20 circumstance bonus". Possibly limited by the fluff about "a single problem, philosophical issue, or memory"? Regardless, that's huge. It pretty much makes me the world's leading expert on any topic. For only a small [if you're a drunken Bill Gates] fee I can help you find a solution to a single problem. The Possession trait means that I can count as trained in any knowledge skill 1/day.
    • Diplomacy. I've put some effort into a good diplomacy skill. +2 Cha +1 Rank +3 Class +2 Silver Tongued +1 Voice of Velvet +3 Skill Focus= +12 Diplomacy. This should help me 1) make money and 2) keep safe. The Student of Philosophy trait lets me use my "Intelligence modifier in place of [my] Charisma modifier on Diplomacy checks to persuade others". Focused Trance can be used to get +20 circumstance on an "Intelligence-based skill check". For me, a Diplomacy check to persuade someone is Intelligence-based... A bit fishy, but it has potential.
    • Other abilities. Cure light wounds is obviously useful. If I can be open about my abilities that one spell alone cast 4/day could make me rich with little effort. For example, how much would the super-rich pay to recover safely from major surgery the same day? Read weather seems to be infallible, which should be worth a lot, depending on how precise the spell is. The Automatic Writing revelation is an interesting one. I could fit it into my consulting business, or use it for gambling or volatile stocks. Focused Trance should be helpful when picking investments.
    • Long term potential? It's hard to go wrong with a full caster. Especially if I can get my hands on a spellbook and pick the Arcane Archivist mystery.
      Spoiler: Enlightened Philosopher Final Revelation
      Show
      Upon achieving 20th level, you achieve true enlightenment and become one with the universe. You receive a bonus on all saving throws equal to your Charisma modifier. You become immune to confusion, exhaustion, fatigue, nausea, and sickened effects. You can take 20 on all Knowledge skill checks. Should you die, you are reborn 3 days later as a living example of the summoning of your chosen philosophy (treat as the reincarnate spell).
      This is all quite useful in RL, but the main attraction is the automatic reincarnation. Terrifying, sure, but given that magic and divine casters imply a potential "afterlife", there no safe option. Immortality will have to do.

Possible issues:
    • I'm not sure how this level will mash with my RL "abilities". For example, can I use Focused Trance with my RL "Intelligence-based skills"?
    • Enlightened Philosopher requires a lawful alignment. Is RL me lawful...?
    • Possessed is a scary trait. I'm counting on the past tense option in the fluff...
    Last edited by Iku Rex; 2019-01-08 at 05:24 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180

Devil

I've been busy with school and stuff, so I've kinda lost the flow. So to recap, if I'm an artificer, and I have the Sanctum Spell feat, can I reduce the effective level of the spells I'm emulating? (To reduce costs and whatnot.) Could I reduce them below zero? Could I use something like Reserves of Strength to increase the effective caster level without increasing the cost (which is based on my own caster level)? Can I apply metamagic feats, and any metamagic reducers, to spells I emulate?

Also, some new questions:
    Does Practiced Spellcaster work with Artificers? The wording of the class is kinda inconsistent as to whether or not they have an actual caster level.
    There exists rules for researching spells. Could I try to research feats?
    How does becoming a ghost work?
    How does taint work? (Radiation actually works pretty well for that.)
    Are unofficial errata and FAQ rulings used?
    Are UA action points compatible with Ebberon action points?
    Can you use the rituals in Savage Species?
    Darklight Wizard. It's got typos, it references spells that don't exist, and it's aura has no listed range. What do you do in cases like that?

I keep on trying to imagine what I'd do with these powers, and I keep running into things where I don't know what works and what doesn't.