New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Shadowrun 5e (Face/Adept VS Face W/ Cyberware) Advice for new player.

Ok, so it's my first time playing Shadowrun and currently in character creation for a game (the only two experienced people are going with a decker and a mage in case anyone's wondering why i'm going face as a first timer. I also like the challenge).

So, I can't seem to get my head around whether or not it's a good idea to have an face with adept powers to supplement him or to go with a face with certain cyberware parts (such as flase face, voice modulator and retinal duplicator as well as simple things like a datalock, wired reflexes and bone lacing).

The Adept route has the benefit of going into a place and not having any cyberware to detect and the while supplemental magic thing can help when things get hairy or just improving on his social abilities. (in my current build of the face/adept version, he also does not have much money)

With the Cyberware face build currently I have more resources, got some neat cyberware and even some supplemental things such as a vehicle with mods to make it pretty good (concealed armor, smuggling compartment, and anti-identification mods of different kinds) plus a nice suit for high business.

I can't really get much of an impression from the group members for a straight answer and I suspect that for this there is no such thing, but what I want is just some advice and to know what I'm getting into with either build.

Thank you for the advice and happy new year.
    Last edited by DukeGurren; 2019-01-01 at 07:31 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Shadowrun 5e (Face/Adept VS Face W/ Cyberware) Advice for new player.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGurren View Post
    Ok, so it's my first time playing Shadowrun and currently in character creation for a game (the only two experienced people are going with a decker and a mage in case anyone's wondering why i'm going face as a first timer. I also like the challenge).

So, I can't seem to get my head around whether or not it's a good idea to have an face with adept powers to supplement him or to go with a face with certain cyberware parts (such as flase face, voice modulator and retinal duplicator as well as simple things like a datalock, wired reflexes and bone lacing).

The Adept route has the benefit of going into a place and not having any cyberware to detect and the while supplemental magic thing can help when things get hairy or just improving on his social abilities. (in my current build of the face/adept version, he also does not have much money)

With the Cyberware face build currently I have more resources, got some neat cyberware and even some supplemental things such as a vehicle with mods to make it pretty good (concealed armor, smuggling compartment, and anti-identification mods of different kinds) plus a nice suit for high business.

I can't really get much of an impression from the group members for a straight answer and I suspect that for this there is no such thing, but what I want is just some advice and to know what I'm getting into with either build.

Thank you for the advice and happy new year.
    Social Adepts get all the things Cyberfaces can get, although some of those are harder to use. The reverse isn't true. Besides, as an Adept you won't have much use for money after the first 50k or so and essential purchases. Augmentations reduce the Social limit, too, so basically you have to get Tailored Pheromones to get it back and improved, while Adepts get about the same effect just by being Essence 6 and having a 0.5 PP power picked (Increase Social Limit). So I would advise picking an Adept for Facing. The only counter to you are background counts, and those usually don't exist in Face-type situations.
    Elezen Dark Knight avatar by Linklele
    Favourite classes: Beguiler, Scout, Warblade, 3.5 Warlock, Harbinger (PF:PoW).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Shadowrun 5e (Face/Adept VS Face W/ Cyberware) Advice for new player.

Thank you

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

What I've done in the past is to be a social adept, but pick up the tailored pheromones bioware. You could either take the magic hit, or pick the something 'prototype' positive quality in the augmentation splatbook to get it without paying essence.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2019-01-02 at 04:46 AM.