New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Chortan's Guild: Episode 3: Twinkle Twinkle Flaming Meteor

Heather for her part holds up her hand as burst of tentacles pour from her hand, disappearing in the air, before appearing under the elementals.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting black tentacles.

No damage, but hopefully it'll grapple some.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

The first barrage of origami shapes slices into the ooze as another takes up place nearby. The second, though, is deflected as a sheet of metal floats in front of it while the third drives into the metal as well. The fourth, against a new ooze, is deflected in much the same way while the fifth drives into the ooze that was split the first time. The four oozes then shimmer as the loud crack of thunder reverberates, the metal that was weakened shuttering. With the second crack the ship finally fails as there's a loud rending sound and metal is torn away from the back and left walls, as well as one of the elevators. Completing the field is a mass of black tentacles, caressing against the roiling mass of plasma and etheric jellies.

The Jellies harmlessly float through the tentacles as some of them surround the one individual they've succeeded in hurting so far. The seven then take turns brushing against the succubus, eating away bit by bit at the demon. Four of them attempt to brush against the human, knowing full well the futility of the action. The last, though, hovers near the ghost and appears to be observing the nature spirit.

Spoiler: Etheric Jelly Turn
    Show
    Seven of them touch Heather, Four bap into Casmar, and the last just watches Darshee.
    E1 Attack: (1d20+13)[15]
    E1 Damage: (4d6)[19]
    E2 Attack: (1d20+13)[19]
    E2 Damage: (4d6)[13]
    E3 Attack: (1d20+13)[20]
    E3 Damage: (4d6)[17]
    E4 Attack: (1d20+13)[15]
    E4 Damage: (4d6)[17]
    E5 Attack: (1d20+13)[29]
    E5 Damage: (4d6)[11]
    E6 Attack: (1d20+13)[19]
    E6 Damage: (4d6)[13]
    E7 Attack: (1d20+13)[29]
    E7 Damage: (4d6)[14]

E1 Attack: (1d20+13)[32]
    E1 Damage: (4d6)[12]
    E2 Attack: (1d20+13)[32]
    E2 Damage: (4d6)[13]
    E3 Attack: (1d20+13)[32]
    E3 Damage: (4d6)[18]
    E4 Attack: (1d20+13)[33]
    E4 Damage: (4d6)[19]

The Oozes turn almost as one and unleash almost a tidal wave of lightning. The ones in front of Casmar each attempt to fry the human, then the ones behind them will target the human as well before drifting around the mass of oozes. If they need to then they'll target the succubus with first a lightning blast and, upon realizing that doesn't work, unleash their own cracks of thunder. A few, though, seem to recognize the one member not present and wait.

Spoiler: Plasma Ooze Actions
    Show
    Z-zap! The oozes will focus on Casmar first, then Heather, and attempt to wait out Darshee if possible.
    A1 Attack: (1d20+36)[45]
    A1 Damage: (21d6+46)[117]

C3 Attack: (1d20+36)[47]
    C3 Damage: (21d6+46)[117]

B4 Attack: (1d20+36)[42]
    B4 Damage: (21d6+46)[113] or after the first lightning versus Heather: (14d6+14)[58]

A2 Attack: (1d20+36)[52]
    A2 Damage: (21d6+46)[128] or after the first lightning versus Heather: (14d6+14)[64]

B1 Attack: (1d20+36)[39]
    B1 Damage: (21d6+46)[115] or after the first lightning versus Heather: (14d6+14)[63]

B2 Attack: (1d20+36)[42]
    B2 Damage: (21d6+46)[105] or after the first lightning versus Heather: (14d6+14)[67]

A3 Attack: (1d20+36)[52]
    A3 Damage: (21d6+46)[131] or after the first lightning versus Heather: (14d6+14)[64]

A4 Attack: (1d20+36)[49]
    A4 Damage: (21d6+46)[127] or after the first lightning versus Heather: (14d6+14)[65]

C1 C2 C4 haven't acted.
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

Your understanding is appreciated.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

The disguised spirit exclaims grits her teeth as she gets ready to take what's coming, thinking This is going to hurt.... and grabbing her quarterstaff from her back - her firewood, in this case, imbued with the natural element of fire, ready to be released on a moment's notice - and uses her maneuverability to briefly tease the oozes before letting lose the power contained therein to set the world on fire, as she verbally says "Do you have ANY idea how hard that is to clean up!?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Flyby attack. Pop out from above ground to soak the readied actions, duck back under briefly, pop up, cast, and duck under again.

Standard: Firestorm, caster level 14. 28 shapeable ten-foot cubes, so I'll just get all the opponents without hitting any allies. Reflex DC 23 half (yeah, not very good, but hopefully these folks are really low on HP due to all the splitting) for (14d6)[53]. Note that those who fail their reflex saves also catch fire, taking an extra (4d6)[9] per round until it's extinguished. SR penetration if needed: (1d20+14)[19]

Casting Defensively: (1d20+20)[22] vs. DC 29
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

The oozes manage to down the human and apparently down the succubi as the three who had readied attacks all blast lightning at the spirit that appeared briefly. Then the flames happened and most of the huge oozes burned up, sizzling in the fire. The smaller jellies had an easier time with it and the ghost had a clear reason why as they were incorporeal just like her. They bobbed in the air and drifted through the air, seemingly recognizing their kind.

The four oozes that were left drifted about and awaited another opportunity, even as they too barely held on.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Four are left as they move in position away from the flames and ready to do it all again.
    Readied Attack 1 (vs Touch): (1d20+36)[39]
    Readied Damage 1: (21d6+46)[119]
    Readied Attack 2 (vs Touch): (1d20+36)[50]
    Readied Damage 2: (21d6+46)[123]
    Readied Attack 3 (vs Touch): (1d20+36)[47]
    Readied Damage 3: (21d6+46)[127]
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Darshee Elazumin Dazeiros, reasoning that the beasts are going to expect a trick this time, and reasoning that they'll be focused on stopping her, tries to get some very precise timing in based on that supposition, readying herself to blast them when they start to blast her.

Spoiler
    Show

Flyby attack lets me take a standard action while moving.
    Ring of X-Ray Vision lets me see much of what's going on (and what little I can't see, I can get via telepathic relay from the succubus who's into me).
    So: Figuring that they'll want to try and hit the artful dodger that actually hurt them:
    I'm readying an action to use Shadow Evocation to duplicate Dragon's Breath to interrupt the actions I fully expect are coming: Them using more of their blasty abilities.
    While I'm moving.

Sadly, I'm out of good blasty spells (I've got a few decent single target effects, but that'll get me temporarily killed here), so it's just Shadow Evocation.

Will DC 29 for 34%, then reflex DC 29 half, of (12d6)[50] fire damage in a 30 foot cone, trying to catch as many as possible.
    SR penetration if needed: (1d20+14)[24]

So it's a combined move & standard this round. Ends with ducking back underground. Hoping I guessed right....
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

Once more with feeling the oozes wait in anticipation and once more they begin to bristle with electricity since it did something the first time. The second the spirit showed itself, though, it let loose a cone of fire and burned one of the oozes, two others squishing down, and one seeming to realize what the source truly was. The three remaining released their lightning into the ghost and bobbed while thrashing at the metal prison they found themselves in.

Show
    One of the oozes died, the other three are barely holding on.

C1 Attack: (1d20+36)[47]
    C1 Damage: (21d6+46)[106]
    C2 Attack: (1d20+36)[44]
    C2 Damage: (21d6+46)[111]
    C3 Attack: (1d20+36)[42]
    C3 Damage: (21d6+46)[105]
    New job, who dis?

7. - Top - End - #127

Heather will attempt to start chanting arcane words.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting summon monster 6 to summon a huge fire elemental.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

As the chanting begins for the spell the jellies from before emerge to explore once more. Four move to surround the stirring succubus as four get to the three plasma oozes just as the fire elemental burns its way into reality. The four up top brush against the flesh of the mage while the other four brush up against the elemental and realize that, once more, nothing can be done.

Show
    Darshee gets in their Harm.

Plasma Oozes don't do anything since their readied action didn't proc. Etheric Jellies delayed until something happened, like Heather moving.

The Etheric Jellies are Incorporeal, I don't think the Elemental counts as a living target (Undead, constructs, and other non-living materials such as clothing or other normal gear are immune to this ability is the wording on it). Really if they can get burned then I guess they can also fester some elements.

The other four attack Heather, then it's y'all's turn before the Plasma Oozes can get a chance to react.
    E1 Attack vs Touch: (1d20+15)[28]
    E1 Damage (Fort 27 to negate Charisma Damage and Half Damage): (4d6)[14]

E2 Attack vs Touch: (1d20+15)[27]
    E2 Damage (Fort 27 to negate Charisma Damage and Half Damage): (4d6)[13]

E3 Attack vs Touch: (1d20+15)[34]
    E3 Damage (Fort 27 to negate Charisma Damage and Half Damage): (4d6)[15]

E4 Attack vs Touch: (1d20+15)[28]
    E4 Damage (Fort 27 to negate Charisma Damage and Half Damage): (4d6)[14]
    New job, who dis?

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

The spectral nymph quietly whispers to herself "That feels better" Then notices that Heather stopped playing dead, and changes her mind about more defense, and delves back in, this time not 'teasing', reasoning that they'll expect it, and continuing with Fire based on the summon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Flyby attack again. Both starting and ending my turn underground.

Standard inside the split move: Shadow Evocation(Dragon's Breath(Gold)) again.

30 foot Cone of Fire: Will DC 29 for 34% of (12d6)[44], and Reflex DC 29 for half after that.

Big benefit of fire here is that both the summon and Heather are immune.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

With a series of pops the bottom floor is washed in imaginary fire, leaving only the very real source of fire to deal with the previous bops. With only 4 Etheric Jellies left they continue to bap into the target that seems like the tastiest, almost oblivious to their potential demise.

Show
    Only 4 Etheric Jellies on Heather left.

E1A: (1d20+15)[33]
    E1D: (4d6)[17]
    H1S: (1d20+18)[30]

E2A: (1d20+15)[24]
    E2D: (4d6)[7]
    H2S: (1d20+18)[28]

E3A: (1d20+15)[17]
    E3D: (4d6)[16]
    H3S: (1d20+18)[21]

E4A: (1d20+15)[29]
    E4D: (4d6)[14]
    H4S: (1d20+18)[38]
    New job, who dis?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

The corrupted nature spirit sees how injured Heather is getting, slides up underneath her, and whispers in her ear "You are not dying today. Now would you please be a dear and finish off these pesky oozes? Mindless trash, they're a threat to creatures that actually matter." as she casts a Heal spell on the lower-plane native, washing away all of Heather's injuries.
    Spoiler
    Show

Flyby attack. Ring of X-Ray Vision lets me navigate and aim easily underground. Cast Heal on Heather (CL 14, so 140 HP of healing, also getting rid of the Charisma damage and pretty much any other status effect that might be bothering her at the moment), getting just enough above ground to touch her with the spell before hiding again.

12. - Top - End - #132

I didn't prepare many spells for this! Heather lets out chants, as the fire elemental swings.

Spoiler
    Show

Cast magic missile
    (5d4+5)[16]

Fire elemental
    Slam 1 (1d20+15)[25]
    Dmg (2d6+4)[6]
    Crit if necessary (1d20+15)[26]
    Dmg (2d6+4)[9]

Slam 2 (1d20+15)[24]
    Dmg (2d6+4)[11]
    Crit if necessary (1d20+15)[32]
    Dmg (2d6+4)[10]

And they must make reflex saves.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

It might be the lack of any real intelligence or knowledge that they only have one target that they can easily damage, despite the magical healing. The elemental makes its way to it's mistress and attempts to bap the incorporeal enemies with no real effect. The missiles find their target, damaging one of the oozes even as they bap into the succubi.

Show
    Still 4 jellies, bapping away at Heather! The elemental misses both attacks, the magic missile damages it just fine though.
    E1A: (1d20+15)[25]
    E1D: (4d6)[14]

E2A: (1d20+15)[27]
    E2D: (4d6)[15]

E3A: (1d20+15)[21]
    E3D: (4d6)[11]

E4A: (1d20+15)[23]
    E4D: (4d6)[12]
    New job, who dis?

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

The disguised spirit grits her teeth, and says "OK then... the hard way it is" and switches over to doing things personally. She again dances out of the ground, but this time approaches close enough to touch one of the incorporeal oozes, so as to deliver a touch spell before ducking back underground.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Flyby attack again. This time the spell is Harm. Negative energy bypasses incorproeality, and these things are not themselves corporeal, so touch is fine.

Casting Defensively: Auto-pass (1d20+28 vs. a DC of 15 + double spell level (6 for Harm) = DC 27).
    Touch attack: (1d20+15)[35]
    SR penetration (if needed): (1d20+14)[18].
    Will DC 30 Half of 140 negative energy damage.

15. - Top - End - #135

Fire elemental attack
    Spoiler
    Show

Attack 1 (1d20+15)[32]
    Dmg (2d6+4)[10]
    Crit if necessary (1d20+15)[26]
    Dmg (2d6+4)[12]
    Burn (2d6)[10]

Attack 2 (1d20+15)[22]
    Dmg (2d6+4)[9]
    Crit if necessary (1d20+15)[25]
    Dmg (2d6+4)[9]
    Burn (2d6)[6]

Heather with the creature's eyes on them, will take the total defense action.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Two jellies pop, one from the fellow incorporeal being’s touch and the other from the fire elemental. The two that are left seem to process the two targets and bap themselves against each, the ineffectiveness of their actions wasted on them.

Show
    Two Jellies die, Two Jellies left! One will bap Heather, the other the Fire Elemental.
    EAH: (1d20+15)[18]
    EDH: (4d6)[11]

EAF: (1d20+15)[28]
    EDF: (4d6)[10]
    New job, who dis?

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

The - currently poorly, what with walking through walls - disguised spirit thinks Almost done... and briefly pops out of the ground once more to hit the beasts with divine power, dropping another burst of negative energy on one of the creatures.

Spoiler
    Show
    Flyby attack again. Harm again. Negative energy bypasses incorproeality, and these things are not themselves corporeal, so touch is fine.

Casting Defensively: Auto-pass (1d20+28 vs. a DC of 15 + double spell level (6 for Harm) = DC 27).
    Touch attack: (1d20+15)[32]
    SR penetration (if needed): (1d20+14)[32].
    Will DC 30 Half of 140 negative energy damage.

18. - Top - End - #138

The succubus takes the old succubus way, and lets her minions fight her battles.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack 1 (1d20+15)[17]
    Damage (2d6+4)[6]
    Crit if necessary (1d20+15)[21]
    Damage (2d6+4)[9]
    Burn (2d6)[5]

Attack 2 (1d20+15)[35]
    Damage (2d6+4)[14]
    Crit if necessary (1d20+15)[20]
    Damage (2d6+4)[14]
    Burn (2d6)[3]

Heather will total defense.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

With a final two pops the last of the jellies sizzle away, leaving the trio a moment’s peace finally. The chaos of combat is replaced by the chirp of distant birds and the sunlight filtering in as the damage can finally be assessed. The plasma oozes had managed to tear at the metal that made up the back portion of the ship and ruined anything of potential value, turning it into a jumbled mess of scrap metal. Barely over the sounds of the newly exposed outside world and light creaking of strained metal the sound of muffled gladiatorial combat can be heard to the north, yet that creature seems eternally bound to the husk of the object.

The human lays on the pockmarked floor, enough metal existing to provide those that need physical bodies a perilous but still relatively safe path to him or the outside world. The area feels safe and, after a moment or two, is presumably as safe as it was before the object fell to the ground below. The guild members feel like the mission could be called a success even as the goblins cautiously make their way to the ruins and begin to poke at the mangled carcasses of robot and ship.
    New job, who dis?

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Darshee Elazumin Dazeiros surveys the wreckage, and the corpse of her companion, and says mostly to herself "Such a waste... " Then glances at Heather, and asks "Say... how strong are you?" Recognizing that Casmar will keep for a while, adds "Also... do you think you have enough of those to form a perimeter? I imagine this thing is the prize, and I'd rather not turn it over to the locals just yet...."

She then tries a spell on some of the wreckage.

Spoiler
    Show
    Specifically: Make Whole, Greater, Cleric-4. Seeing if I can restore smashed stuff from the wreckage of the ship.

Restores: (10d6+10)[41] HP, with a clause that it can indeed restore destroyed items.

21. - Top - End - #141

Stronger then the average human, but not that strong, and Hot stuff is my only summoning spell for the day.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Easily enough you find a portion of floor to test the theory out. Like a cocoon wires form from the existing material and spread out from the central location, fixing a small section of the floor around your hand. Looking at the wreckage confirms that you could probably do roughly a 5ft cube if you had most of the pieces, less if you were missing more pieces.

Spoiler: Mending’s gonna take a minute
    Show
    New job, who dis?

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Stronger then the average human, but not that strong, and Hot stuff is my only summoning spell for the day.
    The spectral nymph perks up at that "Slightly stronger than the average human is enough to invite him back. I want your body. Can I have my way with you for a bit? You can take a moment to think about it... I'll go close up the other doors to keep the curious away for now."

With that, she zips off to the two accessible entry points for the ship, leaving the succubus at the giant hole caused by the oozes, and casts a Greater Shadow Conjouration spells at each of the entrances, duplicating Wall of Iron to block the airlock and the original crack in the hull - sure, it'll break down after a while, but it'll buy some time to get some other guild members out to babysit the place, now that we know it's got some VERY interesting things to examine.

Spoiler
    Show

Two Greater Shadow Conjouration spells ticked off, as noted.

Plan is to use Malevolence, Blood Money, Raise Dead, and then Cleanse to fix things up. Blood Money -> Raise Dead means 11 points of strength damage (due to how rounding works on expensive components on Blood Money). 12 points of strength is sufficient, assuming a succubus and a nymph don't mind shedding some equipment weight for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunhaven View Post
    Easily enough you find a portion of floor to test the theory out. Like a cocoon wires form from the existing material and spread out from the central location, fixing a small section of the floor around your hand. Looking at the wreckage confirms that you could probably do roughly a 5ft cube if you had most of the pieces, less if you were missing more pieces.

Spoiler: Mending’s gonna take a minute
    Show
    Yeah. But if someone wanted an excuse to take Technologist and pick up a few pieces of such gear, we've got one IC now (recovered & repaired from the ship). Also we can maintain them if damaged, and can even recharge them Recharge has an expensive component, but it's also an Evocation suitable for Shadow Evocation (which I also have). The ship also seems to have a reactor, if you want to go to the trouble of batteries, so they can stocked up and have easy swap-outs.

I'm mostly just pointing this out for anyone interested. Granted, magic will usually be better (other than Antimagic Fields, of course).

24. - Top - End - #144

Heather turns crimson at the innuendo from the nymph. Yes, you can have my body! She agrees, instantly and quickly, before remembering that she may have a favor to cash.

Spoiler
    Show

Succubi summon, Babau, low is good. (1d100)[77]

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

The corrupted nature spirit exclaims "Great!" She then gets a smile on her face and continues with "Now just sit back, close your eyes, relax, and let me drive for a while..." and then proceeds to enact the plan: Possessing the Succubus, making certain she's not carrying too much, and then using Heather's blood to offer Casmar another chance at life... then cleaning up the borrowed body, and letting Heather go.

Spoiler
    Show

As planned:
    Malevolence on Heather.
    Take a moment to gauge the weight of Heather's equipment vs. her strength score - can't be paralyzed after we're done, after all - and shed any equipment that might put her over maximum load after the casting.
    Cast Blood Money (UMD + Page of Spell Knowledge) (1st) for Raise Dead (5th) on Casmar's corpse.
    Cast Cleanse (also 5th) to fix up Heather's strength damage.
    ... then let Heather go.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2019-08-08 at 07:05 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

The walls of iron prove good enough to do in a pinch, the goblins seeming accepting of the sudden blockage to their object of worship. They're distracted enough by the Reclaimer just outside anyway, prying and poking at the demonic corpse while excitedly exclaiming about the group in their language.

The process goes off without a hitch, any sort of adversaries seeming content to stay away from the explorers. Casmar feels the tug of resurrection upon his soul and can tell that it's Darshee wishing to bring him back to the world once more. The corrupted nature spirit appears to be victorious against the oozes.
    New job, who dis?

27. - Top - End - #147

Oh... oh.... you meant.... oh... Heather blushes.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

Casmar felt himself falling. Falling into an empty abyss. As he fell, bits and pieces of his paper flew away from him. Written on them were words, or perhaps more accurately, memories. Stories of the past, promises of the future. Their departure from his body was met with quiet acceptance. It meant that, even if he should die, his story would not. His story would live on in the middle realm, and in that way he would be preserved. But still...there were still so many things he hadn't done yet. So many things he hadn't discovered. There was still so much that he wanted to see.

So when he saw that his astral cord had been repaired, and felt the tug back to the land of the living, he decided to take it. He grabbed hold onto his astral cord and pulled. He pulled himself back to the living, back to the land of pain and regret. Back to the land of untold stories and unknown secrets. An infinite amount of time passed in the space of a second, and Casmar finally opened his eyes. Once more, he was alive.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

As Casmar regains consciousness, the disguised spirit exclaims "Oh, Heather, you were awesome! We got together, got all that pesky weight off you, and then he came! I'd do it again in a heartbeat." She pauses "Well, one of yours. Mine doesn't move so fast anymore. Yours looks like it's going pretty quick, though."

She pauses, sighs, and says "But now it's time to get down to work. There's much to be salvaged for the guild." She then sees about fixing things that look important.

30. - Top - End - #150

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    As Casmar regains consciousness, the disguised spirit exclaims "Oh, Heather, you were awesome! We got together, got all that pesky weight off you, and then he came! I'd do it again in a heartbeat." She pauses "Well, one of yours. Mine doesn't move so fast anymore. Yours looks like it's going pretty quick, though."

She pauses, sighs, and says "But now it's time to get down to work. There's much to be salvaged for the guild." She then sees about fixing things that look important.
    Heather turns crimson and looks mortified.