New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls XV: This is my Thu'um Stick

For future reference, does anyone know if old edition Skyrim saves are compatible with the special edition?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ogre in the Playground

Unmodded LE saves should be compatible with SE saves, but not modded LE saves.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I am not sure which mod is doing it, but all the containers have been replaced with yellow fields.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I am not sure which mod is doing it, but all the containers have been replaced with yellow fields.
    Oscuro's, probably. I had a lot of issues with it so I stopped using it.

I made an article for work about Oblivion mods yesterday since your post reminded me it was in the backlog but I'm not sure how kosher it is to post stuff from other websites in that context here and I'm too lazy to retype all of them.

5. - Top - End - #575

Hmm. After watching the latest video from Mitten Squad, I'm kinda considering doing a runthrough of Skyrim with shouts as my only source of damage. It'd be almost a pure mage playthrough; besides Speech for more powerful shouts, he'd be focused on Alteration and Illusion, with enchanting and alchemy to help him survive. Don't know how I'd roleplay it; maybe a Breton clothes horse who simply refuses to get blood on his clothes?

The only issue is that I still have the Chadwick playthrough hanging over my head; while I want to give him a resolution, he's hit the point in the Skyrim power curve where it's no longer fun to play him. He's a steamroller in human form.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    That means you're missing meshes for some things (or that the meshes have been misnamed).

7. - Top - End - #577
    Titan in the Playground

If I recall correctly there are one of two reasons for the Yellow Triangles. First is that Oscuro's didn't install quite correctly, and it's fairly likely. That's an annoying procress. Second is that you might need to toggle archive invalidation off and then back on. Oblivion was more sensitive to that than later games.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

8. - Top - End - #578
    Spamalot in the Playground

My adopted daughter Lucia somehow got herself stuck inside a weapon case. I couldn't get her out, so I just closed the case and she sank through the floor. About 3 minutes later she fased through the wall in the basement and is totally fine again. Um... not sure if proud, concerned... maybe both...?

(I love the little glitches in this game)
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

9. - Top - End - #579
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

So, according to a thing on Tumblr (which I can't access from work), the settlment creation system from Fallout 4 was originally slated for Skyrim.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Titan in the Playground

That makes sense; Skyrim had a LOT of planned content cut (most notably the Civil War was meant to be the biggest and most important questline). IIRC Hearthfire is a DLC made of unfinished content that was meant to be in the base game.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ogre in the Playground

Not really. Hearthfire is largely packing up and polishing what some of the devs did as a part of the Game Jam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

It's so sad they could never make the civil war work out and that it was just too buggy and ended up having to gut it and make it what we got instead. What could have been...

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    It's so sad they could never make the civil war work out and that it was just too buggy and ended up having to gut it and make it what we got instead. What could have been...
    Sounds horrible. I hated the Sid Meier's Civilisation lite aspect of Fallout 4.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2019-06-01 at 03:38 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    I'm quite glad of it, myself. I detest both sides in the Civil War, and would resent having to support one in order to get the most out of the game.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    I'm quite glad of it, myself. I detest both sides in the Civil War, and would resent having to support one in order to get the most out of the game.
    Well that's a story problem, not a gameplay one.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

I mean part of the cut content were options that ensured both/neither sides would win, so not an issue.

17. - Top - End - #587

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    Unmodded LE saves should be compatible with SE saves, but not modded LE saves.
    OK, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    That makes sense; Skyrim had a LOT of planned content cut (most notably the Civil War was meant to be the biggest and most important questline). IIRC Hearthfire is a DLC made of unfinished content that was meant to be in the base game.
    That explains why it felt so weird. For a while, I was convinced I was playing a mod. And it didn't have any effect, anyway, because no king was elected: we were still waiting for that council in the end. From a narrative point of view, it left me really puzzled. Zero payback. Even the crown -- actually a pretty good helm -- was never seen again. And the new jarls didn't have the decency to dress like one.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

18. - Top - End - #588

Well, I've started a new playthrough. Mercury ventures forth into Mundus with magicks magnificent, finery fantastic, alchemy to astound... and the rough musculature of a twig. As such, he can cast with the best of them, but asking him to wear armor or swing sharp metal sticks is just not in the cards.

I have to say, playing a pure mage is a very different experience than I'm accustomed to, especially on master difficulty. Normally, by level 5, I can tank a few hits, and sword-and-board means I can usually whittle enemies into submission with no problem. As a mage, though, any hit will knacker my health, so I've been playing keep-away with summons, Fus-ing enemies as needed to summon more. It's a very different playstyle, and I'm kinda digging being a total glass cannon.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

19. - Top - End - #589
    Spamalot in the Playground

Hmm, an independent third option would be neat. Worked for New Vegas quite well. Who would be our "Yes Man" for Skyrim tho...?
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

20. - Top - End - #590
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Hmm, an independent third option would be neat. Worked for New Vegas quite well. Who would be our "Yes Man" for Skyrim tho...?
    Hm.

well just to spitball.....

the Greybeards or Paarthurnax since they're not political guys, could be good ones. after all, first emperor like, went to the greybeards or something as well, and they're just concerned with you using your power responsibly and if your objection to both factions is that neither is morally right and both should shape up, I don't see the Greybeards being against you. I don't see them helping you other than advice, but Paarthurnax and his dragons could be your robot army.

I could see Miraak being our checkered suit man, some Thalmor head honcho being the evil corporation guy,which you give you two completely evil options to join as well.

or the College of Winterhold using that Ol' Eye of Magnus to do something, maybe say screw the Psijic Order to actually use the Eye for something?

or just take the Blades, and like, go on a quest to like, repurpose those stupid Dwemer ruins lying about eternally producing new automatons for themselves to like, kick out the Thalmor and such.

Balgruuf strikes me as a relatively neutral guy who was like, chill with the Dragonborn doing crazy things and actually solving that dragon problem, so it doesn't seem out of bounds to me that some really persuasive dragonborn could persuade him to become some third faction for a more reasonable Skyrim.

maybe you can get the option of sparing Alduin and he like, becomes okay with you as long as like, he gets to cause destruction and takes names like a badass or something while you command him to get rid of whatever you want.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

21. - Top - End - #591

Quote Originally Posted by Ailurus View Post
    Been a while since I played Oblivion, but the three ones I recall the most are:

Francescos Creatures and Items - dramatically changes (improves IMO) the whole everything "levels with player" aspect of the game
    OblivionXP - swaps out the usual elder scrolls leveling system for an XP-based one. Purely a matter of taste, obviously, but I found it helpful in Oblivion because it ensures you don't have to worry about running and jumping too much leveling you up.
    Midas Magic - adds a lot of new and very different spells.
    Make sure to give the watermelon atronach a spin!

Paarthurnax. Take that, Dumb Blades!

Or Potema. Or that priest of the Vomiting Church of Peryite.

Or Randy Savage.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I could see Balgruuf heading up a "lets stop being bloody morons for two minutes please" faction in the civil war if the Dragonborn offered their support.

Having said that, ultimately I think that faction would end up largely indistinguishable from an Imperial victory anyway. As much as the Imperials can be nasty at times, anything short of unity with them leaves both the Empire and Skyrim isolated and vulnerable to a Dominion invasion.

I'd take it every time though if it let me kill Maven Blackbriar.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I could see Balgruuf heading up a "lets stop being bloody morons for two minutes please" faction in the civil war if the Dragonborn offered their support.

Having said that, ultimately I think that faction would end up largely indistinguishable from an Imperial victory anyway.
    Possibly, but I'd have no problem with the imperials if they weren't bloody morons.

My personal resolution to the Civil War would be to use my own authority as Dragonborn, Harbinger and Archmage, allied to the Greybeards if that's not enough already, to call a moot and have it elect a new king. And Tullius and Elenwen don't get invited.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

24. - Top - End - #594
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Possibly, but I'd have no problem with the imperials if they weren't bloody morons.

My personal resolution to the Civil War would be to use my own authority as Dragonborn, Harbinger and Archmage, allied to the Greybeards if that's not enough already, to call a moot and have it elect a new king. And Tullius and Elenwen don't get invited.
    Ulfric's legitimacy as a jarl is a big problem there. Most of the imperial-siding jarls don't recognize him or his authority after he murdered Torygg, and Ulfric knows it. Without resolving that one way or another, the moot is a largely meaningless gesture as the losing side simply wont recognize the proceedings. Heck, he specifically calls out that the moot would be more or less deadlocked until one side's jarls are removed.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Ulfric's legitimacy as a jarl is a big problem there. Most of the imperial-siding jarls don't recognize him or his authority after he murdered Torygg, and Ulfric knows it.
    They don't accept his authority as king, but I don't hear anyone disputing his position as jarl of Windhelm. Heck, even Tullius allows him that. And as far as I know, there's no allowance in Skyrim law for jarls to interfere in the internal affairs of holds other than their own. If they don't want him to be king, that's easy - all they have to do is put up a candidate of their own who would attract enough votes to win.

It wouldn't be Elisif. But the jarl of Whiterun could probably swing it.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Titan in the Playground

Trouble is... by Skyrim's standards Ulfric is not a murderer for killing Torygg. Only by imperial measure.

As for a civil war resolution alternative? Balgruuf accepts Ulfric's Axe, and the war becomes a diplomatic event, with you flipping cities once you become Thane. (Or rather having the option to do so.) There's still a grand assault on Solitude, but Elisif intervene's to save Tullius.

In exchange for a peaceful withdrawal of excess forces, Skyrim get's status similar to Morrowind. It's own laws and leadership, and religion, in exchange for continuing to send troops to the legion. And because I like the Thought, Elenwen turns up whine about it, and Riika cuts her head off.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    so I've been playing keep-away with summons, Fus-ing enemies as needed to summon more. It's a very different playstyle, and I'm kinda digging being a total glass cannon.
    Well, unless you're playing modded, that will rapidly turn into a total glass pea-shooter, given the way magic doesn't scale in vanilla Skyrim.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Titan in the Playground

I vanilla you just let your summons tank, while you sit and use Impact to perma-stun everything.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Trouble is... by Skyrim's standards Ulfric is not a murderer for killing Torygg. Only by imperial measure.

As for a civil war resolution alternative? Balgruuf accepts Ulfric's Axe, and the war becomes a diplomatic event, with you flipping cities once you become Thane. (Or rather having the option to do so.) There's still a grand assault on Solitude, but Elisif intervene's to save Tullius.

In exchange for a peaceful withdrawal of excess forces, Skyrim get's status similar to Morrowind. It's own laws and leadership, and religion, in exchange for continuing to send troops to the legion. And because I like the Thought, Elenwen turns up whine about it, and Riika cuts her head off.
    The fact that half the jarls sided with the imperials would suggest that he is a murderer and traitor by Skyrim's standards as well.

30. - Top - End - #600

This kind of cultural difference between Skyrim and the Empire is rather odd, though. The Empire ruled Skyrim for what, 500 years? And Imperial values would have bled into Nord society through many sources, like priests and those who served in the Emperor's army.

Although I assume that defunct traditions can be revived (or semi-invented) by a political leader if they fit his interest.