New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls XV: This is my Thu'um Stick

It's the exploding undead for me.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

2. - Top - End - #782
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    You inspired such loyalty your friend broke in to rescue you? Sounds like standard fantasy fare; of course it counts.
    Huzzah! XD

I actually managed to finish Blood on the Ice for the first time without a single glitch! Downside, Calixto led me, my companion, and exactly one guard on a long chase through the streets. Lost the guard at some point and we finally caught up to Calixto on the doorstep of the Palace of Kings where we ran him through. I love the nonchalant glances the door guards gave. They didn't even move from their positions.

"No lollygagging." XD

Something I believe is missing from this quest once it is complete is that no one comments about Calixto being the killer, and the mother of the dead girl (Tova or something?) doesn't ever thank you for avenging her or anything. It just... gets forgotten. At least with the Forsworn Conspiracy quest people and guards do comment about it being over (half the residents wanna give the city guard a piece of their mind putting me in jail). Even one guard gives a dismissive apology, which is at least a reaction. But Windhelm? Nope, nothing I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I just got Dawnbreaker at level 45, why does anybody like that sword? It does damage in the teens before sharpening, and burns for ten. Next level I can take double enchanting, and I almost certainly will, which will enable me to have a sword (or an axe, or whatever) that burns for 25 and lightnings for 25 at the same time.
    If you are capable of installing mods, I highly recommend Artificer - Artifacts of Skyrim. It turns Dawnbreaker into a 30 pound beast of a sword that does 35 damage and triple radiant damage to undead. Much more desirable! Well, unless you're a vampire. Equipping it in that case deals 10 damage a second to you. O.o
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I just got Dawnbreaker at level 45, why does anybody like that sword?
    Well, first point would be not to wait for level 45 before getting it. For a mid-level weapon it's got middling-high base damage, light weight, and a unique special ability. I love it.

It helps that I play with SPERG, which includes a perk that gives all artifacts infinite charges.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

4. - Top - End - #784
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    It helps that I play with SPERG, which includes a perk that gives all artifacts infinite charges.
    Isn't the normal way to do that to give the artifact to a companion? Pretty sure they don't use up charges on them.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Titan in the Playground

I just got Dawnbreaker at level 45, why does anybody like that sword? It does damage in the teens before sharpening, and burns for ten.
    The same reason I do ANYTHING in Skyrim these days. Because the RP is phenomenal. It is a shiny sword for undead hunters, but I feel you. It is bad even for early game, but it is the reason why I have "better daedric artifacts" installed. It ups any daedric artifact to actually meet daedric gear quality.

Have I also mentioned that I loathe the way Meridia's Beacon is distributed because many of my sinister characters found it instantly, but my one or two more shining characters always take ages to find the beacon. This fact only improved my RP once, when my paladin failed to find the beacon or the Breton's grail (Imperious Breton), so out of game I said **** it, I'm going Death Knight now and turned it into a heavy armor wearing summoner.

6. - Top - End - #786

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Have I also mentioned that I loathe the way Meridia's Beacon is distributed because many of my sinister characters found it instantly, but my one or two more shining characters always take ages to find the beacon.
    I seem to find it in my mid-teen levels, but it's always in some random outside bandit camp when I'm looting a box in the middle of combat. Never in some dark dungeon where I fought the undead or such...

"Oh, the beacon. Um, hold that thought, gotta fight this bandit charging at me with that axe."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

7. - Top - End - #787
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I seem to find it in my mid-teen levels, but it's always in some random outside bandit camp when I'm looting a box in the middle of combat. Never in some dark dungeon where I fought the undead or such...

"Oh, the beacon. Um, hold that thought, gotta fight this bandit charging at me with that axe."
    I almost always find it in the teens as well, usually doing some random "kill this bandit" radiant quest.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #788
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I almost always find it in the teens as well, usually doing some random "kill this bandit" radiant quest.
    I kept finding it, for the longest time, in a hunting camp... I can't remember the name, but the one east of Rorikstead, where the hunters are dead?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Titan in the Playground

I've found the beacon in the mine near helgen and riverwood at least twice. same chest each time, behind the jailhouse door.

Edit: looked it up, apparently it spawns from any boss chest after level 12, but you can actually just go talk to the Meridia statue at the temple and she will give you its location, never knew that. so if you want to get it early, just get to level 12, go to the meridias temple, and the statue of meridia will tell you its location with a marker.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2019-09-16 at 01:45 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

10. - Top - End - #790
    Firbolg in the Playground

I just got Dawnbreaker at level 45, why does anybody like that sword? It does damage in the teens before sharpening, and burns for ten. Next level I can take double enchanting, and I almost certainly will, which will enable me to have a sword (or an axe, or whatever) that burns for 25 and lightnings for 25 at the same time.
    Well, I could go into a ton of reasons.
    -It's shiny and I like how it looks.
    -It's great for RPing as an undead slayer.
    -Theory-crafting means that base damage is much less important than swing speed, and as an arming sword it's already one of the better weapon types.
    -Many daedric item mods change the low damage to be better.

But even if those didn't exist, it'd still have a special purpose. Its low base damage and low enchantment are much less important than the explosion that happens when you kill an enemy with it. It turns or destroys undead, and unlike any other version of Turn Undead in Skyrim, it's not level-restricted. The Draugr Death Overlord that's been tearing you apart? Kill his level 1 Draugr friend, Dawnbreaker lets out a nova, and suddenly the Overlord is running away. That Nightwalker Master Vampire or whatever they're called? Also running.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Edit: looked it up, apparently it spawns from any boss chest after level 12, but you can actually just go talk to the Meridia statue at the temple and she will give you its location, never knew that. so if you want to get it early, just get to level 12, go to the meridias temple, and the statue of meridia will tell you its location with a marker.
    That's - really cool, because it offers a way to not find the damn' thing. The chance of it spawning in a random boss chest is pretty high, but if you can commit it to a specific chest, you can put a stop to that.

I don't think Dawnbreaker is underpowered. If we're going to go around adjusting power levels, I prefer to adjust them all downwards. Skyrim already has a scaling problem with being unable to challenge the player past mid level, and beefing up the daedric artifacts can only make that situation worse.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Isn't the normal way to do that to give the artifact to a companion? Pretty sure they don't use up charges on them.
    Are staves artifacts? Lydia goes through charges on fireball staves like nobody's business.

Well, first point would be not to wait for level 45 before getting it.
    I wasn't sure whether it levelled with you, before. Now I'm sure it doesn't.

Another reason is that you have to have the arcane smith perk to increase its damage.

All in all it's sounding like "get it early, then drop it later".
    Last edited by halfeye; 2019-09-17 at 05:50 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think Dawnbreaker is underpowered. If we're going to go around adjusting power levels, I prefer to adjust them all downwards. Skyrim already has a scaling problem with being unable to challenge the player past mid level, and beefing up the daedric artifacts can only make that situation worse.
    One can always install deadly combat mods and/or up the difficulty. And/or weep in the corner because you overdid it and only cheesing the AI can save you now.

14. - Top - End - #794

It is the little mods in life that bring this one joy. Khajiit remembered a bit late that in original edition, this one had a mod that added smelters to Riften and Solitude, and one that put carriages in the minor capital holds. Just found the SSE versions and added them.

Khajiit now raiding Dwemer ruins for materials to smelt and craft in order to build up Crafting skill.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

15. - Top - End - #795
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Open Cities adds the smelters, and Complete Fast Travel Overhaul adds carriages. Unfortunately, Better Fast Travel - which to my mind is better than CFTO - still hasn't been ported.

16. - Top - End - #796

I've been very proud of myself that I have not used fast travel (other than carriages). Convenient Horses I feel is a must for this, because every darn wolf, sabercat, bandit, cultist, blackbear, brownbear, owlbear, and rabbit is trying to kill me on the roads. I honestly feel relieved when a dragon shows up because I know nothing short of a giant will survive that and I can sneak away from the battle. XD
    Digo Dragon - Artist

17. - Top - End - #797

I've been very proud of myself that I have not used fast travel (other than carriages). Convenient Horses I feel is a must for this, because every darn wolf, sabercat, bandit, cultist, blackbear, brownbear, owlbear, and rabbit is trying to kill me on the roads. I honestly feel relieved when a dragon shows up because I know nothing short of a giant will survive that and I can sneak away from the battle. XD
    Arvak was the BEST thing about ANY DLC, ever. Fite me.

Seriously, look t up. I was asking "Are there any summonable horse mods" and someone said "Dude, Arvak" and I was like "Woah".
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    You have to put up with the terrible Dawnguard main quest up to that point to get him though.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I've been very proud of myself that I have not used fast travel (other than carriages). Convenient Horses I feel is a must for this, because every darn wolf, sabercat, bandit, cultist, blackbear, brownbear, owlbear, and rabbit is trying to kill me on the roads.
    You forgot to mention spiders, spriggans, trolls, reavers, vampires, werewolves, werebears, rieklings, ash spawn, ash hoppers, boars, skooma peddlers, skeletons, necromancers, fire mages, ice mages, extremely stupid Dark Brotherhood assassins and even stupider thieves, and those lone lunatics who just charge at you out of nowhere for no reason at all. I'm often amazed there's anyone left alive in Skyrim.
    Last edited by veti; 2019-09-18 at 03:06 AM.

20. - Top - End - #800

Huh, why don't I remember that part of Dawnguard? Did I miss acquiring it? I guess I'll have to play through it again.

You forgot to mention spiders, spriggans, trolls, reavers, vampires, werewolves, werebears, rieklings, ash spawn, ash hoppers, boars, skooma peddlers, skeletons, necromancers, fire mages, ice mages, extremely stupid Dark Brotherhood assassins and even stupider thieves, and those lone lunatics who just charge at you out of nowhere for no reason at all. I'm often amazed there's anyone left alive in Skyrim.
    It's easier to list what doesn't attack you on the road. :/
    Digo Dragon - Artist

21. - Top - End - #801
    Titan in the Playground

Arvak has to be tracked down in the Soul Cairn. First to find his owner, then his skull, then his owner again.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

22. - Top - End - #802

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Arvak has to be tracked down in the Soul Cairn. First to find his owner, then his skull, then his owner again.
    That sounds like more work than what I put into getting through the soul cairn so... Probably missed it before. XD
    Digo Dragon - Artist

23. - Top - End - #803
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

That sounds like more work than what I put into getting through the soul cairn so... Probably missed it before. XD
    Its not as hard as it sounds, he has a quest marker for all the relevant stuff. Its just a bit annoying because the Soul Cairn doesnt have a big zoomed out world map for who knows what reason, so you have to navigate by compass.

My big thing is that, if you aren't a spellcaster, summoning him can be a pain. The mana cost is higher than the default you start with, so if you weren't casting spells up until this point you probably don't have enough mana to actually summon him.

Also, from a roleplaying perspective, summoning a skeletal horse demon thing is kind of odd, even if he is just a ghost horse. Works fine for a vampire, less so for a paladin type.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2019-09-19 at 08:55 AM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

24. - Top - End - #804

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Its not as hard as it sounds, he has a quest marker for all the relevant stuff. Its just a bit annoying because the Soul Cairn doesnt have a big zoomed out world map for who knows what reason, so you have to navigate by compass.

My big thing is that, if you aren't a spellcaster, summoning him can be a pain. The mana cost is higher than the default you start with, so if you weren't casting spells up until this point you probably don't have enough mana to actually summon him.

Also, from a roleplaying perspective, summoning a skeletal horse demon thing is kind of odd, even if he is just a ghost horse. Works fine for a vampire, less so for a paladin type.
    DO NOT DEFAME THE GLORY THAT IS ARVAK!

(Yes, I am being silly)

But, seriously, he is the most useful thing in the game. Carrying too much? Arvak doesn't think so. Fast travel on his back. Your horse keep getting eaten? Arvak doesn't care.

OTOH, a really cool option (that is probably harder than it is in my head) is if you could summon an upsized Familiar and have it be a mount. I'm guessing there's not a simple "click here to make mountable" option in the creature creator, though.
    The Cranky Gamer

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

DO NOT DEFAME THE GLORY THAT IS ARVAK!

(Yes, I am being silly)

But, seriously, he is the most useful thing in the game. Carrying too much? Arvak doesn't think so. Fast travel on his back. Your horse keep getting eaten? Arvak doesn't care.

OTOH, a really cool option (that is probably harder than it is in my head) is if you could summon an upsized Familiar and have it be a mount. I'm guessing there's not a simple "click here to make mountable" option in the creature creator, though.
    The thing is, Arvak is a good horse and you're doing it a favor by letting it roam the living world again. There's nothing evil about it beyond its looks, which is a consequence of being trapped in the Soul Cairn against its will. A good bit of Dawnguard is about how appearances deceive. You've got a vampire that has sacrificed everything to stop a mortal/vampire war. You've got her daughter, who can willingly sides with vampire hunters over her own kind. You've got Durneveir, a blasted dracolich who is just happy to have a few minutes in the sun. And then you have the Dawnguard themselves, who were at one time a bunch of bandits pretending to be heroes and now an army lead by an extremist who thought the Vigilants of Stendarr are useless passive wimps.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

26. - Top - End - #806

Well, he's not completely wrong about the Vigilants. :3

(*Has been avoiding the abandoned house in Markarth for a week*)
    Digo Dragon - Artist

27. - Top - End - #807
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

(*Has been avoiding the abandoned house in Markarth for a week*)
    I finally figured out what to do about the idiot outside that house. Walk up, open console, click, type "disable". Boom, never have to be accosted by him again.

28. - Top - End - #808

One of my frustrations for Daedric quests is how few have the ability to just... nope them.

Like, if I refuse Namira, I still get dialogue like I went through the whole thing.

Molag Baal locked me in a house where I killed someone in self-defense? OBVIOUSLY I'm going to be happy to go find someone and beat them to death with a mace for no good reason.

Hircine at least gives you the option to say "You know what? I'm gonna help this poor bastard."
    The Cranky Gamer

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ogre in the Playground

Molag Baal locked me in a house where I killed someone in self-defense? OBVIOUSLY I'm going to be happy to go find someone and beat them to death with a mace for no good reason.
    The first time I did that quest was kind of funny; I tried to avoid the obvious trap in the floor and then got warped into it anyway. But it warped me in the same direction I'd been facing, so all I actually could see were the spikes and I had to take it on faith that there was a mace and an altar because I had dialog options for those.

But Nocturnal's had to be the worst just because it's so mashed in with the Thieves' Guild. I still want to yell at the Thieves' Guild people sometimes.

"Guys, why are we giving our souls over to a Daedric Prince? If you need better gear I can make you custom armor in whatever style you like, your choice of enchantments even! I promise it will be less trouble then guarding a Daedric Shrine for the rest of our afterlives."

And then after the whole mess is over Karliah is going on about how I shouldn't worry about being seen in my Nightingale armor - welp, given that I had previously worn it in broad daylight in the middle of Whiterun because someone was insisting that I wear it, I should certainly hope not!

30. - Top - End - #810
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I have no problem with just telling the daedra to go fornicate themselves. Molag Bal? The one time I went into that house, I got out and never went back. Namira? Killed every last one of the sick people. Mephala? Yeah, that sword is still sitting in a chest somewhere, I'm not doing that. Nocturnal? There's a mod for that.

As for Vaermina - least convincing seduction attempt ever.

The ones that do annoy me, all the same, are those that keep on nagging at me even when I'm really trying to ignore them. That idiot vigilant in Markarth just won't take "forget it" for an answer, hence the need for more drastic steps.

Edit: The big exception is Hermaeus Mora. It's possible to spare the mage, by just never going back with his blood samples. But there seems to be no way of sparing his victim in Solstheim.
    Last edited by veti; 2019-09-20 at 03:05 AM.