New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls XV: This is my Thu'um Stick

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Funnily enough, YAAAAAA is Dov for "ACME" HOO-HOO-HOO is simply "Doesn't have" and "HOOEY" is "Warranty"
    Didn't think they sold to Disney employees too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    Unless you're staring at an oncoming apocalypse, then any time is a good time to embrace the weirdness and wonder of Vvardenfell.
    I'm wondering how to get the plug-ins, though. I don't think they're included on Steam and the links are broken since the game's so old.

Besides, part of me wonders if I should go REALLY old school and try out Arena and Daggerfall...see that's why I'm so hesitant to dive back in. It'd be a COMMITMENT. And these days commitments sure can look like oncoming apocalypses...
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2019-09-24 at 05:09 PM.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

2. - Top - End - #842
    Firbolg in the Playground

Has anyone tried the Summerset mod? From the little I have seen, it looks very special and weird in a Morrowind way, and I have read enthusiastic review, but I haven't played it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

3. - Top - End - #843
    Titan in the Playground

If you're Morrowind now, you owe yourself a look at OpenMW.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

4. - Top - End - #844

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    I'm wondering how to get the plug-ins, though. I don't think they're included on Steam and the links are broken since the game's so old.
    Ask, and the internet provides.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

5. - Top - End - #845
    Ogre in the Playground

You can also buy the GOTY version on GOG, which comes with the official mods.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Titan in the Playground

Besides, part of me wonders if I should go REALLY old school and try out Arena and Daggerfall...see that's why I'm so hesitant to dive back in. It'd be a COMMITMENT. And these days commitments sure can look like oncoming apocalypses...
    Having played Daggerfall, I don't think committing to it is much of a risk. It's an interesting experience, and worth a try, but the extreme user-unfriendliness and bugs make playing it for long unlikely.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I actually tried getting back into Daggerfall quite recently, got as far as the world map, and found there was a problem--for some reason the mouse cursor was jumping two pixels each time along the horizontal axis, and since you need to click exactly on one of those single-pixel dots to get info on a destination or fast travel there, that made things a bit of an issue! There is a remake called "Daggerfall: Unity" around, though, has anyone tried that?
    Last edited by factotum; 2019-09-25 at 06:50 AM.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Having played Daggerfall, I don't think committing to it is much of a risk. It's an interesting experience, and worth a try, but the extreme user-unfriendliness and bugs make playing it for long unlikely.
    I dunno, despite my tendency to flit from hyperfixation to hyperfixation, I can be pretty stubborn when it comes to completing each and every sidequest thr game has to offer (part of why my relationship with Skyrim is so love-hate, those randomly-generated quests mean you're never truly DONE with the game).
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

I dunno, despite my tendency to flit from hyperfixation to hyperfixation, I can be pretty stubborn when it comes to completing each and every sidequest thr game has to offer (part of why my relationship with Skyrim is so love-hate, those randomly-generated quests mean you're never truly DONE with the game).
    Well, that's not going to happen in Daggerfall, where just about everything is randomly-generated and the area covered is absolutely massive. But I was talking more about the interface and difficulty.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Well, that's not going to happen in Daggerfall, where just about everything is randomly-generated and the area covered is absolutely massive. But I was talking more about the interface and difficulty.
    Archaic interface can break a game when you're used to something more convenient. Especially when those games come from an era when computer mouse had one button. You don't know what you have until you no longer have it.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Archaic interface can break a game when you're used to something more convenient. Especially when those games come from an era when computer mouse had one button. You don't know what you have until you no longer have it.
    There never was such an era, at least as far as PC mice are concerned--they always had two. It was Apple that insisted on only having one button on their mice.

12. - Top - End - #852

IIRC, Arena actually had some commands tied to the right mouse button. If you clicked on the board with different buttons, it would do different things.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

13. - Top - End - #853
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I've occasionally jumped on Arena, to fiddle about with my "Eternal Hero" concept (a female Altmer "Healer" who happens to be the Champion of Cyrodil, the Agent in Daggerfall, the Nerevarine, the Hero of Kvatch, and the Dragonborn; being an Altmer lets her bridge the time between Arena and Morrowind, after which she becomes immortal due to Corpus), and the lack of WASD is one of my biggest interface issues. Like, there's a lot you miss, but the WASD and right hand mouse is just pervasively not there.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    There never was such an era, at least as far as PC mice are concerned--they always had two. It was Apple that insisted on only having one button on their mice.
    Then I cannot explain why else Red Alert 1 (or 2, whichever is the one I played on Origin) does not use the right mouse button in any way.

I've occasionally jumped on Arena, to fiddle about with my "Eternal Hero" concept (a female Altmer "Healer" who happens to be the Champion of Cyrodil, the Agent in Daggerfall, the Nerevarine, the Hero of Kvatch, and the Dragonborn; being an Altmer lets her bridge the time between Arena and Morrowind, after which she becomes immortal due to Corpus), and the lack of WASD is one of my biggest interface issues. Like, there's a lot you miss, but the WASD and right hand mouse is just pervasively not there.
    Although that's a fun concept, there is a little issue that the Hero of Kvatch is also the new Sheogorath, so that makes it a little difficult to continue adventuring.
    To make up for it, I personally have my character be the companion of the actual hero of the games.
    I certainly wish we knew what were the life spans of races in that setting...
    Last edited by Resileaf; 2019-09-26 at 08:58 AM.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    If you're Morrowind now, you owe yourself a look at OpenMW.
    Or the newest version of MGE XE, with its lua scripting and such ;)

And the official mods are largely a waste of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

16. - Top - End - #856
    Titan in the Playground

Did she liberate the Battlespire too?

Technically with this setup you wouldn't NEED to be an elf prior to Morrowind making you immortal. The length of time between Arena and Morrowind is only 16 years. Even HUMANS could live that long!
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2019-09-25 at 12:30 PM.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Titan in the Playground

An Altmer could theoretically live through the events of Arena and survive to be a hero during the events of Skyrim without even needing to be immortal. They live a long time.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

18. - Top - End - #858

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Although that's a fun concept, there is a little issue that the Hero of Kvatch is also the new Sheogorath, so that makes it a little difficult to continue adventuring.
    To make up for it, I personally have my character be the companion of the actual hero of the games.
    I certainly wish we knew what were the life spans of races in that setting...
    From what I understand, elves tend to live about twice to three times as long as humans, everyone else lives about as long as humans.

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/481 (you have to put your birthdate in; quoted below)

Elves live two to three times as long as humans and the “beast-races” (Orcs, Khajiiti, Argonians). A 200-year-old Elf is old; a 300-year-old Elf is very, very old indeed. Anyone older than that has prolonged his or her lifespan through powerful magic.

Did she liberate the Battlespire too?

Technically with this setup you wouldn't NEED to be an elf prior to Morrowind making you immortal. The length of time between Arena and Morrowind is only 16 years. Even HUMANS could live that long!
    Yes, but there's a couple ancillary reasons to be an Altmer

1) It lets me stay fairly young throughout. At 42, I know a 36 year old Nerevarine isn't that old, but, hey, I want it.
    2) Daggerfall is screwed up in a few ways, one of which is that most of the racial abilities were not properly implemented. The only one that WAS is a High Elf's immunity to paralyzation. So being a High Elf in Daggerfall (if I ever get around to it) is a great advantage.

As for "Why Healer", it goes back to Arena... a Healer in Arena is a fairly stout class, with good magic and melee options; custom spells for them in Arena can be VERY nice. Bard might fit the "Can do Anything" aspect of later Elder Scrolls games, but I tend to just figure that Cana picked some things up as she went.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

19. - Top - End - #859
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

From what I understand, elves tend to live about twice to three times as long as humans, everyone else lives about as long as humans.

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/481 (you have to put your birthdate in; quoted below)
    I have searched for that information for years. Oh my god, finally an answer to something I've tried to find out since I started writing character journals in Morrowind.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Ogre in the Playground

Noble elves seem to live longer still for some reason. Queen Barenziah is mentioned as being over 500 and she's clearly not a powerful wizard-lord or anything like that. (She was also acquainted with both Tiber Septim and Jagar Than, if we believe her biography, so being five centuries old isn't just hyperbole.)

21. - Top - End - #861
    Titan in the Playground

That discussion about interfaces and difficulties of older games got me wondering if I should just boot up Skyrim again instead of going through the hassle of reinstalling Morrowind...I already HAVE Skyrim installed and I never finished its main quest...

22. - Top - End - #862
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Eternal Champion of Arena ended the Imperial Simulacrum in 3E 399; Morrowind starts in 3E 427. 30 years between the games would be closer to the mark than 16.

Noble elves seem to live longer still for some reason. Queen Barenziah is mentioned as being over 500 and she's clearly not a powerful wizard-lord or anything like that. (She was also acquainted with both Tiber Septim and Jagar Than, if we believe her biography, so being five centuries old isn't just hyperbole.)
    Personally, I'm inclined to think that it's less that noble elves live longer and more that they decided to make elven lifespans shorter after Morrowind, but a bunch of notable elves already had longer ages set and they elected not to re-write the in-game histories to get the ages to better match. There's no indication anywhere that I can recall that suggests that Barenziah's age, or for example Vorian Direnni (author of the Oblivion in-game book De Rerum Dirennis, states his age to be 600 years in the introduction), is particularly exceptional.

Also, note that Barenziah's son Helseth was born 3E 376, when she's ~479, and her daughter Morgian was born 3E 384. If elven fertility is anything like human fertility, that suggests that Barenziah's at most in her late middle ages despite being the best part of 500 years old whereas if the typical elven lifespan is only ~200 years you'd think that a 500-year-old elf would roughly correspond to a 100-year-old human even if 200 years is to an elf about what 40 is to a human. If 200 years is to an elf more like what 60 or 70 is to a human, Barenziah having multiple children at ~500 looks exceptionally unlikely.
    Last edited by Aeson; 2019-09-26 at 09:34 AM.

23. - Top - End - #863

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    She also might not BE a wizard, but she can certainly AFFORD wizards.
    The Cranky Gamer

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Barenziah looks easily the equivalent of 60 in MW, but yes, she's mostly likely the victim of a ret-con.
    Last edited by Caelestion; 2019-09-26 at 12:49 PM.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    The Eternal Champion of Arena ended the Imperial Simulacrum in 3E 399; Morrowind starts in 3E 427. 30 years between the games would be closer to the mark than 16.
    Huh...I read that Daggerfall took place 10 years after Arena and Morrowind took place 6 years after Daggerfall, which I added together to get 16 years?

26. - Top - End - #866
    Ogre in the Playground

The Warp in the West (at the end of DF) was 3E 417.

27. - Top - End - #867

Huh...I read that Daggerfall took place 10 years after Arena and Morrowind took place 6 years after Daggerfall, which I added together to get 16 years?
    Oh well, someone call tech support, the dragon just broke again.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, I think where the confusion is coming from is that Daggerfall starts in 3E 405, six years after the end of Arena, and ends in 3E 417, ten years prior to Morrowind.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ogre in the Playground

It takes the Agent twelve years to complete the main plot, yet the succeeding games all happen within the last four months of each game's starting year??

30. - Top - End - #870
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Well Daggerfall takes place on something like the entire Imperial-held territory, so it's only natural that it will take more time compared to the other games that take place in smaller areas.