New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls XV: This is my Thu'um Stick

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Speaking of dragon encounters, I started playing through the Dragonborn DLC. I got to the quest where you need to head up to the dragon wall and learn the Bend Will shout. Yeah, I learned not to go traveling around the island at night.

I got lost. Oops. Oh but it got better!

After figuring out where I went wrong, I made a series of jumps over a mountain to scale over to the wall on the other side. And triggered the boss Drauger fight. At the same time as the dragon fight.

My world was reduced to Fus Roh and Fire. XD

I got lucky when the dragon got stuck in the mountainside and refused to fight anymore. Uh... thanks, Bethesda? ^^
    Oh, yeah, that one gets CRAZY. Times like that I'm glad I'm a conjurer. Hide and spam, hide and spam.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Oh, yeah, that one gets CRAZY. Times like that I'm glad I'm a conjurer. Hide and spam, hide and spam.
    I'm curious to look up what you would have to do if you didn't already have a dragon soul to unlock the Bend Will shout (since Miraak steals the one from the dragon you kill). I guess go back to Skyrim and find a dragon?
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm curious to look up what you would have to do if you didn't already have a dragon soul to unlock the Bend Will shout (since Miraak steals the one from the dragon you kill). I guess go back to Skyrim and find a dragon?
    Basically. Although I don't believe he's guaranteed to steal any soul, including that one.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #1144

Yep. Part of why I build up a reserve of Dragon Souls before I go to Solstheim.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Titan in the Playground

It's a 30% chance he'll steal up to the next 5 dragon souls.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Spamalot in the Playground

Ah okay, so he doesn't steal all of them.

The dlc didn't feel long. I got the house in town and did most of the quests. The island visuals are quite nice. Guess I should go get that third Bend Will shout and pummel Miraak. Apophra... Apopr... that realm Miraak resides in is stunningly creepy and I like that alien feel to it, but it is filled with annoying enemies and is hard to spell. XD
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I just finished a playthrough of two mods: Maelstrom and Vigilant. Both involve a lot of dark, literally as well as figuratively. Some mild spoilers follow, but I'll avoid anything detailed enough to make much difference to how you play.

Vigilant is a huge mod in four acts.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Act 1 is, honestly, pretty crap: go here, beat up monster, come back and report to your superior vigilant (who is, naturally, doing sweet FA, mostly in the pub). It feels like it's trying to build to a climax when the utterly predictable twist happens, and sure enough you end up fighting Molag Bal (him in the form of, I dunno, a giant chaurus or something), but it feels very forced and mechanical at this point. The frankly risible English voice acting doesn't do it any favours either. I wish I could have voices in the original language with English subtitles, but can't figure out how to do that.

Act 2 is more worthwhile. It's a gratuitously long dungeon crawl through "Old Windhelm", a complete city below the current city (you'd think it would be flooded, no?), infested with deformed vampires. Dozens of the sods. Stealth is highly recommended. Culminates in a confrontation with Lamae Bal herself, and it turns out Molag has now selected you as his personal nemesis or something.

But if you thought stealing through the dark streets of a city of vampires was creepy, you ain't seen nothin' yet. Act 3 sends you to a Haunted Mansion. Not a jolly, well-appointed mansion like Luigi's - no, this is a dark, creepy, bloodstained, dark, sinister, dark place, with the obligatory Lovecraftian letters and journals lying about to describe how every inhabitant of the house has killed themselves/each other/been possessed, and some of them are still haunting the place in the form of invincible ghosts, which blur your vision and drain your stamina if you so much as look at them. (Come to think of it I never did find out precisely what happened to Marcus, but by the end it doesn't seem to matter.) The only way out of the mansion is to accept Molag Bal's offer to transport you out - to Coldharbour. (Note there's practically nothing to eat in the mansion, and you're going to be here for at least a couple of days, so if you're playing with a "needs" mod, bring a picnic.)

After the gloom (did I mention it was dark?) of the Bruiant Mansion, the stark and horrific - but well-lit - hellscape of Coldharbour is frankly a relief. There may be demons, undead, constructs, hideous mutant leeches, giants and possessed maniacs waiting behind every door (though actually quite a lot of them aren't hostile), but at least you can see them when they come at you. There are a few sewer segments where the dark returns, and one of those goes on long enough to be oppressive, but on the whole Coldharbour is a lot more fun than the mansion. It's also huge - the whole thing is based on the map of the Imperial City from Oblivion, and you have to journey all the way around the walls - outside and inside - before you get the necessary doohickeys (and karma) to enter the city centre and force Molag Bal to let you go home - completing many subquests along the way, all without the benefit of a meaningful journal or quest markers.

Coldharbour, I have to say, is awesome. I don't think I'll play this mod again anytime soon - it tends to take over the game somewhat (I was about level 25 when I started, 40 when I finished, without doing anything else between). But Coldharbour, as a separate game space, beats the heck out of Blackreach or the Forgotten Valley, or even Solstheim. Along the way there is lots of - interpretation, I believe would be the neutral word - of the First Era history of the Alessian Empire. I'm not sure how much is accurate and how much is "evil spin", because Molag Bal, but the whole thing is both fascinating and very sad.

Maelstrom takes a much more modest scale, but quality-wise it's at least as good. It's basically a single, lengthy dungeon crawl that mixes horror themes, dreams and Norse mythology into Skyrim. At the end, you get to choose between two followers, plus some nice but not obscenely overpowered gear (the sword did good service all the way through Vigilant). The whole being much more manageable to fit into a larger playthrough, with whatever other mods you fancy. I highly recommend playing this one when you reach roundabout level 20 or so.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Very basic question I think we've overlooked: why does TES: Blades HAVE a PvP mode?

It's an online game, multiplayer happens, but rightly there should be two modes: Don't Get Too Friendly Mode (stay alive and do what little you can) and Cooperative Multiplayer Mode (arm as many civilians as possible before you are murdered in your sleep.) The game on the whole is a screamingly brazen B.F. Skinner model, which is why I've never played it, but the PvP mode must be by someone who looked at the Civil War endings and said "needs more gut-wrenching".
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Titan in the Playground

After much deliberation and downloading mods, I have started Morrowind again. My character is a female Khajit with a specialty in Stealth and Agility and Intelligence as favored attributes. Light Armor, Block, Short Blade, Speechcraft and Enchant as primary skills. Conjuration, Alchemy, Security, Marksman and Mercantile as secondary. I feel like I ought to have put Conjuration or Alchemy as primary, since otherwise they're lousy. But maybe I'll train them up.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    After much deliberation and downloading mods, I have started Morrowind again. My character is a female Khajit with a specialty in Stealth and Agility and Intelligence as favored attributes. Light Armor, Block, Short Blade, Speechcraft and Enchant as primary skills. Conjuration, Alchemy, Security, Marksman and Mercantile as secondary. I feel like I ought to have put Conjuration or Alchemy as primary, since otherwise they're lousy. But maybe I'll train them up.
    Do you have a levelling mod? If not, I recommend wearing medium or heavy armour while a scrib or a rat or something attacks you, at least once per level for the first few levels. Trains up Endurance, thus giving you more health at each level up.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Titan in the Playground

I'm using the Madd Leveler mod. And my alchemy and conjuration skills seem to be stuck in a Catch 22 where they're too bad for me to use them and thus improve them.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Ogre in the Playground

Alchemy should be able to be solved with any of the thousands of Restore Stamina ingredients around (e.g. most food). As for Conjuration, I'd design a cantrip to help out - minimal effect should ensure that it's easily castable.

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    Alchemy should be able to be solved with any of the thousands of Restore Stamina ingredients around (e.g. most food). As for Conjuration, I'd design a cantrip to help out - minimal effect should ensure that it's easily castable.
    Tip: Bound Bow for 15 seconds is a sovereign remedy for cliff racers, and costs just 1 magicka. You just need to carry arrows.

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Titan in the Playground

I've tried making potions from ingredients I had on hand, but the rate of advancement is so slow and the chance of failure so high it's going to take me a while.

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I've tried making potions from ingredients I had on hand, but the rate of advancement is so slow and the chance of failure so high it's going to take me a while.
    You need to boost your Intelligence to make better potions more reliably, so your best bet in Morrowind is to first make potions to boost Int, then drink those before making more potions.

16. - Top - End - #1156

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    You need to boost your Intelligence to make better potions more reliably, so your best bet in Morrowind is to first make potions to boost Int, then drink those before making more potions.
    This. It can also be helpful to buy a couple Fortify Int potions from vendors, drink one, slam your way through cheap ingredients to make cheap potions, sell your cheap potions to the vendor for more cheap ingredients, drink another (if the first has worn off; gametime, this has probably taken all of 2 seconds), and slam through more cheap ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    Tip: Bound Bow for 15 seconds is a sovereign remedy for cliff racers, and costs just 1 magicka. You just need to carry arrows.
    I personally find bound armor a bit less annoying to cast, since it doesn't go through the equip/unequip animation all the time. If you can make it custom, learn the basic effect, then create it for a minuscule amount of time.
    The Cranky Gamer

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Titan in the Playground

I used so much Bound Armor in Oblivion. The worst part was chasing down all the individual effects.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

18. - Top - End - #1158

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    I used so much Bound Armor in Oblivion. The worst part was chasing down all the individual effects.
    I used it a lot in Morrowind, where it was relatively easy to make the "Arming Charm"... carry nothing and, as soon as you're attacked, be wearing full daedric armor, including sword and shield.
    The Cranky Gamer

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Titan in the Playground

Considering the quality of potions I can make right now, buying them is the only real way for it to work.

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Ogre in the Playground

That's why I suggested Restore Stamina ingredients. They're cheap and plentiful and it doesn't really matter how many you blow through to level up your alchemy.

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I personally find bound armor a bit less annoying to cast, since it doesn't go through the equip/unequip animation all the time. If you can make it custom, learn the basic effect, then create it for a minuscule amount of time.
    If all you want is to train conjuration, then OK. The point of the 1-pt Bow is that it's also an extremely useful and practical weapon in its own right.

22. - Top - End - #1162

Are you against paying for a few levels of skill training? Ajira's an Alchemy, Conjuration, and Enchant trainer (up to level 48 naturally in each; you can go higher with Drain Alchemy/Conjuration/Enchant on Self - which will also make training cheaper - or Fortify Alchemy/Conjuration/Enchant on Touch/Target) who also buys and sells potions/ingredients and is reasonably likely to have a high opinion of the player character from fairly early in the game due to being the first Mages' Guild questgiver you're likely to encounter if you go to Balmora like you're directed at the start of the game, so you can probably buy a few levels of training from her fairly cheaply, can buy some cheap potion ingredients (Crab Meat and Small Kwama Eggs are cheap, restocking, and have Restore Fatigue; Scales and Kwama Cuttle are slightly more expensive, restocking, and have Water Walking) to check if your Alchemy skill is at a point you consider acceptable, and can fairly easily recover the gold you spent on training if you feel like doing so.
    Last edited by Aeson; 2019-12-28 at 10:08 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Firbolg in the Playground

I used it a lot in Morrowind, where it was relatively easy to make the "Arming Charm"... carry nothing and, as soon as you're attacked, be wearing full daedric armor, including sword and shield.
    For what I remember it also had a fixed 80 armour rating, so it was really good, especially at the beginning of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

24. - Top - End - #1164

Morrowind only ever felt difficult in the beginning, when I was bewildered by the exploration potential, and tried to swim out to an island or stumbled into a Sixth House base. I found solace on Gamefaq's forums in the teachings of SR71, who ought to be canonized by Bethesda. Yes, it can be satisfying the first time you OHK Vivec 30 minutes off the boat, but the beauty of reverse variable magnitude enchantments is that they are far more scalable when all you want to do is survive a mudcrab ambush with flair.

My recommendation is to play through organically your first time, because the depth and breadth of allowed exploits is a game unto itself. I wouldn't start spamming INT potions until you've at least tried to handle the final parts of the MQ on your own.

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    Morrowind only ever felt difficult in the beginning, when I was bewildered by the exploration potential, and tried to swim out to an island or stumbled into a Sixth House base. I found solace on Gamefaq's forums in the teachings of SR71, who ought to be canonized by Bethesda. Yes, it can be satisfying the first time you OHK Vivec 30 minutes off the boat, but the beauty of reverse variable magnitude enchantments is that they are far more scalable when all you want to do is survive a mudcrab ambush with flair.

My recommendation is to play through organically your first time, because the depth and breadth of allowed exploits is a game unto itself. I wouldn't start spamming INT potions until you've at least tried to handle the final parts of the MQ on your own.
    This short-lived attempt isn't my first time by far. I played Morrowind extensively once. Sadly, I was quickly reminded that it didn't age well at all.

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Ogre in the Playground

It's aged just fine, I think. The faces are ugly as they ever were and the combat was always a little bit janky, even in 2002. The lack of NPC schedules and people not following you through doors are about the only things that are noticeably missing now, as opposed to when it was new.

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

people not following you through doors
    I thought that business of NPCs that start talking to your back, then follow you through doors to continue the non-conversation was new in Skyrim, they certainly didn't do it in Oblivion.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Ogre in the Playground

But unlike in MW, people do chase you through doors in OB.

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

It's aged just fine, I think. The faces are ugly as they ever were and the combat was always a little bit janky, even in 2002. The lack of NPC schedules and people not following you through doors are about the only things that are noticeably missing now, as opposed to when it was new.
    The controls also take a bit of getting used to. "Right-click to use your off hand" - makes a lot more sense than "right-click to freeze the game and fill the screen with menus".

Another thing that comes as a shock after Oblivion and Skyrim is the need to walk everywhere, v e r y s l o w l y, at least at first. Although personally I enjoyed that.

The faces, however, are one of the easiest things to fix. Unless you mean the PC's own face, but who cares about that?

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    Another thing that comes as a shock after Oblivion and Skyrim is the need to walk everywhere, v e r y s l o w l y, at least at first.
    There's a silt strider station in Seyda Neen from where you can travel to Balmora, Gnisis, Suran and Vivec, so even right at the start you don't *have* to walk everywhere.