New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Agents of the Brelish Crown IC

Katriel

“They’re still fighting...” Katriel said, brow furrowed in concentration.

She kept focus up on the bats, the more they did now, the less broodlings they’d have to deal with later.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Alanna takes a deep breath, wincing, then notices the mechanical insect and reaches out with her uninjured arm to attempt to snag the insect before it can fly away.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Soranda loads a bolt and aims, waiting to see if Alana can snag the beetle. If she fails, the bolt will fly out, trying to knock the messenger from the sky.

Spoiler: dice
    Show
    Attack - (1d20+3)[20](as a docent I think it would take damage like a warforged)Critical Confirm - (1d20+3)[5]Damage - (2d6)[12]Bane Damage - (2d6)[7]Critical Damage - (2d6)[12]
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Alestair Deskane

With the barricade reinforced, Thot eased up, but kept his bow in his hand as walked closer towards the ash-skinned girl.

"Good work with that wind magic," he addressed her, "and the bats," he nodded at the newcomer who still seemed to be concentrating. Turning to the foreman, he continued in a lower voice. "What do you know about that section of the tunnels? Seemed like there was some sort of altar in there. Huge chamber."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"What do we do?! What do we do!?"
    "We get to the safe house. It is in Lower Central..."

Clamp's voice trails off as he spots the Final Messenger about to buzz off. He pulls out a handful of shuriken and tries to take it down.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Full Attack action: Flailing Strike # of attacks - (d4)[1]
    regular attack - (d20-1)[5]
    damage - (d3+4)[6]
    flailing attack 1 - (d20-1)[0]
    damage - (d3+4)[7]
    flailing attack 2 - (d20-1)[11]
    damage - (d3+4)[5]
    flailing attack 3 - (d20-1)[7]
    damage - (d3+4)[7]

Once that is over, Clamp finishes telling the group the location of the safe house. Clamp retrieves his staff and asks the provost to carry it. Then Clamp winces in pain and grunts as he picks up the limp Warforged bodies and throws one over each shoulder, checking to make sure they didn't leave any possessions lying on the deck.

"This way."
    Last edited by fallensavior; 2019-01-20 at 04:15 PM.
    "Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul!"
    - FallenSavior

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Alanna frowns as everyone misses the metallic insect and replies, wincing in pain, "Yeah...There a healer there?"

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Soranda nods, "Let's go."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

8. - Top - End - #128

Spoiler: Alanna, Clamp, & Soranda
    Show
    Soranda snaps her crossbow to her shoulder but the tiny metal beetle is hard to track against the dark sky and glinting rain. Her bolt flies wide with a buzz to sail out over the chasm. Clamp's shuriken meet with the same result but describe slightly less impressive arcs as the float, spinning, through the air away from the skybridge.

The odd quartet of warforged, half-elf, half-giant, and elderly human scholar make their way, an inconspicuously as possible through the streets of Sharn. Perhaps their only saving grace is the time of day and Sharn's usual weather patterns. Normally carrying a pair of bodies through the continent's largest city would attract unwelcome attention, but Clamp is able to throw Cutter's cloak over the worst of both his and her wounds. Most people choose not to inquire further of the large metal man who looks to have been in a fight. Provost Weren doffs his own cloak and offers it to Alanna, both as a kindly and grateful gesture and to hide her wounds.

The group arrives at Myriad Tower in Lower Central. The place is in every way nondescript, right down to the beggar huddling at the foot of the stairs leading to a barred iron gate. "You look lost," the beggar offers in a deep, powerful voice without shifting position. All three of the agents recognize the challenge, but Soranda replies first.

"Would you care to light our way?"

"I have no need for light," comes the countersign.

Provost Weren looks confusedly between the beggar and Soranda, but the iron gate swings open with only a soft sigh of well oiled hinges. Inside the tower the agents are met by Jove, the district commander of Central Sharn, Aran's superior. After a quick debrief the agents are offered beds for the evening and healing for their wounds. Cutter's body is taken to be disposed of and the surviving warforged is taken for interrogation. The agents are instructed to regain their strength and continue to pursue the matter to the best of their abilities. Provost Weren is placed under the protection of the Dark Lanterns but not told anything other than he will be kept safe.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I think this is an opportune time to remind everybody of the requisition rules detailed in the recruitment thread.

Players have the ability to requisition a single piece of gear per mission. Requisitioning entails making either an intelligence or charisma check to persuade your handler to come up with the desired gear. The DC for this check is calculated as follows: (item price in gp÷10)÷character level. You may continue making checks for different pieces of gear until you succeed at one. If the equipment is nonconsumable it must be returned to the issuer at the end of the mission.

Spoiler: Alestair, Iridae, & Katriel
    Show
    The foreman wipes his sweaty face with one hand and hooks a thumb at the shack up by the entrance. "It's too hot to talk down here," he says. Obviously his troubles with the heat stem more from his love of drink than the actual crucibles and forges, but the air inside the shack is cool and it's the only way he will talk. Alestair, Iridae, and Katriel gather round as the foreman's chair creaks beneath him.

"You're in the cogs lad. I knew that my tunnel contained coal and ore that would run this foundry. But the next tunnel over could be something from the War of the Mark, or even earlier. People, and other things," his lip curls, "have lived in Sharn forever, and more than one ruler has tried to bury or uncover all of that history. They say the city itself moves things around so that something ten thousand years old sits atop something from just a single generation ago. Sometime we get quakes, sometimes the lava fills one tunnel and uncovers another. All I know for sure is that those Dhakaani bastards stirred up trouble!"
    Last edited by Obscuraphile; 2019-01-20 at 08:13 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Alanna relaxes as her wounds are healed and she has a chance to lie down. After a bit, she reports to Jove about everything that she experienced that day, including her suspicions about the Warforged's connections to the Lord of Blades.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Katriel

Kat kept up her concentration on the bat swarm until they were dispersed. She looked around the shack and at the others who had also followed the foreman. The magnitude of what she’d just been involved in started to hit her, and she hugged herself as her limbs began trembling uncontrollably. She kept quiet, hoping one of the others would speak up .
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Alestair Deskane

Trouble, indeed. But at what magnitude? To think the Kythons are mere distractions here.

He looked at the ashen-skinned girl and remembered the tome the Dhaakani gave her. That surely was their clue.

"Can't do anythin' 'bout it. Best keep that tunnel barricaded. Us three won't be enough. But I know people who can help. Still interested in your job offerin'."

"How 'bout you two?" Thot asked the two girls. "You got skills. If you're interested, follow me outside. I have a business offer for you."

12. - Top - End - #132

Show
    Jove listens carefully to Alanna's report taking the occasional note. The lantern commander is an unsettling sort of man with a piercing gaze and such force of personality that his full attentions quickly make people uncomfortable. His entire demeanor projects the fact that he is the kind of man who would do anything to keep his country safe. Not somebody to cross lightly and certainly not somebody that anyone would want on their trail or across the interrogation table.

"We've had a suspicion for sometime that operatives of the Mournland would attempt to infiltrate Sharn. Luckily fanatical warforged traveling in groups tend to stand out. Given the evidence I tend to agree with your assessment of the situation. We will proceed with the interrogation of your captive forthwith. In the meantime I believe your efforts would be best spent tracking down the third member of this cell and attaining a clearer picture of what they are doing here. Take care also. Do not assume that you have seen all of your opponent's moves, or even all of the players.

Show
    "Son, if you can clear out an entire nest of these khyber fiends, I'm certain the foundry will pay your weight in gold! The dwarf blinks and seems to realize what he said. "Well, ahhm, maybe not something quite so extravagant. I certainly can't approve anything like that. But, the men'd surely be grateful... Maybe the city would offer you something..."

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Alanna nods in response, replying, "Yes, sir. I'll be careful." With that, she heads back into the main part of the base to rest some, planning on beginning her investigation the next day, barring any sudden events.

14. - Top - End - #134

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ionbound View Post
    Alanna nods in response, replying, "Yes, sir. I'll be careful." With that, she heads back into the main part of the base to rest some, planning on beginning her investigation the next day, barring any sudden events.
    Clamp has little to add to Alanna's report. When it becomes apparent that Alanna and (presumably) Soranda are going to sleep, Clamp gets out his repair kit and settles in with his tools, trying to patch some more of his wound.

Spoiler: roll
    Show
    Craft: Sculpting=+5
    "Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul!"
    - FallenSavior

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Iridae looked at the foreman and grinned. “As long as I’m getting paid, I’d be more than happy to clear out those nasty beasts for you.

She then turned to look at the other two combatants who had joined her. “I’m sorry for not introducing myself until now. I’m Iridae, a warlock for hire and an agent of the Dark Lanterns. And you guys are. . . ?” Her voice trailed off as she waited for her response.
    Last edited by In4Dimensions; 2019-01-21 at 10:10 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fallensavior View Post
    Clamp has little to add to Alanna's report. When it becomes apparent that Alanna and (presumably) Soranda are going to sleep, Clamp gets out his repair kit and settles in with his tools, trying to patch some more of his wound.
    Soranda has been walking off the tension of the battle, short though it was. She finds Clamp working on himself. "I would have thought they would have you covered... do you need some help with that?"
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Katriel Northstar

“I’m... Katriel,” the girl replied, adjusting her hair as she spoke.

As she did so, she flashed an identification sign for the Dark Lanterns, as if suspecting Iridae was not who she said she was.
    TC for short

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Alestair Deskane

"That makes things easier, then," replied Thot as he leaned against the back wall. "Name's Ward. Sellsword. But what I've been sayin' earlier is I know someone. Happens to be a Lantern as well."

He then proceeded to put his hand on his chest and did several hand gestures. A bit sloppy on the execution, but undeniably a Dark Lantern sign.

"Worked for him a couple times. I'm his field agent," he said before chuckling. "That's what I tell myself, anyway. I'd contact him later. Ask for more people if possible. And equipment. You'd want to do the same."

Thot stood up straight and began walking towards the door. "I'll tell him to find you. Oh, and don't lose the thing."

19. - Top - End - #139

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
    "I would have thought they would have you covered... do you need some help with that?"
    Clamp is standing with his hands working behind his back, looking over his shoulder into a large mirror when Soranda approaches.

"Absolutely, I would not turn you away. They cast a repair spell, but as you can see there is still work to be done. I am concerned that you would miss your opportunity to sleep though... I did successfully requisition this repair wand. If you would not mind using it on me in the morning, assuming I have not finished repairs by then, then we could both be in optimal fighting condition sooner"
    "Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul!"
    - FallenSavior

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fallensavior View Post
    Clamp is standing with his hands working behind his back, looking over his shoulder into a large mirror when Soranda approaches.

"Absolutely, I would not turn you away. They cast a repair spell, but as you can see there is still work to be done. I am concerned that you would miss your opportunity to sleep though... I did successfully requisition this repair wand. If you would not mind using it on me in the morning, assuming I have not finished repairs by then, then we could both be in optimal fighting condition sooner"
    "Or, since I've only used one of my infusions for the day and have three remaining. I could do up to three more repair spells, rest tonight and recover for the morrow." Soranda traces sygaldry across Clamp's chestplate and makes clicking noises as she infuses his form with energy that speeds up his repair process dramatically. She repeats the casting, if the first does not heal him.

(1d8+1)[2]
    (1d8+1)[2]
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Iridae quickly flashes the Dark Lantern sign. “Let’s go decipher this book, eh? Do you guys know of a good place to do so?

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Soranda looks disappointed at how little damage was repaired by her spell. "Ah well... What is it the Beggar Dane says, 'Once is nice, twice is nicer but third time is the charm.'" The artificer attempts the infusion one more time.

(1d8+1)[5]
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Katriel

The girl seemed to breathe a sigh of relief as the signs were returned.

“Okay, um,” she said, to Alestair, then she decided to speak up before he left, “hey wait, what book?”
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-01-22 at 07:56 PM.
    TC for short

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Alestair Deskane

"Don't you people have that kind of services in hand? Must be new guys, huh. All right, you can follow me. I'll have you meet my contact. He knows more about those things."

Thot didn't wait for the girls' replies and continued on outside an on his way back up the city.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Katriel looked around the room at the others for a moment before trotting off after Alestair.
    TC for short

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Iridae called out “One minute!” to the other two, then turned to face the foreman. “So, what’s the pay?

27. - Top - End - #147

BlueKnightGuy

Clamp finishes repairing himself as the sun is rising.

Good as new.

He meets up with Soranda and Alanna once they are ready to go.

"If we have no further leads on the agents of the Lord of Blades or the missing book, I recommend that we track down the other agents that we are supposed to be working with. Alestair, Iridae, and Katriel.

Clamp checks his journal for their current location.
    "Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul!"
    - FallenSavior

28. - Top - End - #148

Show
    The foreman goes a little pale, despite the flush of his cheeks and nose, when Iridae identifies herself as a Dark Lantern. He takes a long pull from his flask as the three discuss their next moves and even breathes a sigh of relief when Ward and Katriel leave. He tenses up slightly when Iridae turns to address him and then grows indignant at her question. "You- I- But- This is extortion! You are a servant of the crown! Should I pay the Watch to keep the peace? If you are here then there is something other than a simple kython infestation going on here!"

Spoiler: OoC/Setting Details
    Show
    So, now that you have identified yourself as a Dark Lantern in front of the foreman he knows that you are essentially asking for a bribe to do your job, which is 100% in keeping with Eberron lore. I'm just not sure that is your intention. It's not a problem if that your intention and in this part of the city, in this business, its probably pretty common. The foundry is even likely to have some sort of slush fund for paying protection money and bribes, however some social skill is required to get it out of the foreman. Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate would all work, and effect the foreman's disposition accordingly. You could also use Knowledge (Local) to threaten some sort of legal trouble (something along the lines of "let me get O.S.H.A. down here every day to harass you").

As long as you still get your job done and aren't doing anything too egregious or blatant your superiors aren't going to have much of an issue with you having taking something on the side like this. However if it comes from a suspect source like a foreign power or a politician that could change the stakes.

Show
    The book lists the locations of all three agents as a barber shop in the middle city. While the cogs is a big place that Alestair, Iridae, & Katriel could all conceivably move about it without coming into contact with each other, this new development strongly indicates that Aran's other three subordinates have found each other and for some reason seen fit to join forces. Checking more closely in Alestair's entry, Clamp realizes that the barber shop belongs to him personally.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Alanna nods and replies, "Unless you have some idea where that metal bug was going, I've got nothing. So...To this barber shop I guess."

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Iridae sighed, and looked at the foreman in annoyance. “Look, I’ve had a long, rough day. One of those nasty creatures bit me, and I think a bit of its saliva is still in me. I’m not a high-ranking agent; I can’t afford much beyond rent and food. Just pay me the amount you would have if I wasn’t an agent, and I’ll leave immediately. No need for things to get complicated.

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20+12)[32]
    edit: heh
    Extorting him wasn’t exactly my original idea, but it works for the situation and it’s in character.
    Last edited by In4Dimensions; 2019-01-23 at 09:58 PM.