New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: which character would you go out with?

Yeah, I think looking for conspiracy theories about why people would choose someone who's both highly intelligent and easily one of the most unambiguously Good characters in the comic is a little odd.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    highly intelligent
    Where does this idea come from? No great intellect is required to deliver a long philosophical disquisition on D&D alignment, or to pass law school exams, or to do any of the other things Celia is actually depicted as doing.

and easily one of the most unambiguously Good characters in the comic is a little odd.
    A far too easy equation of pacifism and Goodness, this.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Celia is both the incarnation of the out-of-touch intellectual archetype and possessed of training that gives her high status and access to power practically anywhere she goes. "Normal" is not a word I would use to describe her.
    Then again, is there any character whose assesment you agree on with most people around here?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #34

It comes from reading the comic without mud-colored glasses on--something you might find it worthwhile to attempt yourself.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

This really comes down to which one hasn't put me off for ever.

So I think I'll chance it and say the MITD.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

@zimmerwald:
    Most people you meet in our world haven’t killed anyone. Our world contains many more lawyers than violent vigilantes (closest equivalent for D&D ‘adventurer’ that I could think of).

So, by our-world standards, she’s a lot more normal than the other characters.
    Last edited by LadyEowyn; 2019-01-06 at 06:36 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

I don't think it as all odd that several people are choosing Celia. Putting aside those who claim to be preferring her on her morality, I think most people probably interpret her as being attractive. She is a Sylph, which have often been described as attractive in DnD lore. In strip 537, Roy obviously finds her incredibly hot in her dress (and from the illustrations it appears she has a great figure). If you are more inclined to the numbers, the class level geekery thread suggests she has a high charisma, which is also consistent with being attractive.

Another character who I think most people would read as being hot is Sabine, and I see several people have also chosen her. Nothing mysterious going on here.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

You mean 310, right? Also don't forget the long white hair.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    I don't think it as all odd that several people are choosing Celia. Putting aside those who claim to be preferring her on her morality, I think most people probably interpret her as being attractive. She is a Sylph, which have often been described as attractive in DnD lore. In strip 537, Roy obviously finds her incredibly hot in her dress (and from the illustrations it appears she has a great figure). If you are more inclined to the numbers, the class level geekery thread suggests she has a high charisma, which is also consistent with being attractive.

Another character who I think most people would read as being hot is Sabine, and I see several people have also chosen her. Nothing mysterious going on here.
    I half-don't understand why people use "is attractive" as a primary criterion for dateability. To me it's like... surely there are several other important factors, yes?

I do admire both Celia and Sabine's Lawfulness, though. They both have a certain integrity, and righteous fury.

(Sabine? Righteous fury? As Zimmerwald pointed out, the IFCC has a legitimate grievance. And I always respected her loyalty to Nale even if he is a bastard.)
    This signature was written by me, Aveline, to indicate that this message was written by me, Aveline.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aveline View Post
    I half-don't understand why people use "is attractive" as a primary criterion for dateability. To me it's like... surely there are several other important factors, yes?

I do admire both Celia and Sabine's Lawfulness, though. They both have a certain integrity, and righteous fury.

(Sabine? Righteous fury? As Zimmerwald pointed out, the IFCC has a legitimate grievance. And I always respected her loyalty to Nale even if he is a bastard.)
    Sabine's Chaotic.

11. - Top - End - #41

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Sabine's Chaotic.
    According to whom? Because I do not get that vibe at all from the comic.
    This signature was written by me, Aveline, to indicate that this message was written by me, Aveline.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    You mean 310, right? Also don't forget the long white hair.
    I did mean that thanks. No idea how I got it wrong.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

I did mean that thanks. No idea how I got it wrong.

Well, I suppose everyone's a bit different as to how important hotness is for them. It also may depend on how you interpret "go out with" in the thread question - is it a euphemism for sex or is it talking about some lasting relationship?

But I do think attractiveness is a strong instinctive criterion for most people

14. - Top - End - #44

GreataxeFighterGirl

According to whom? Because I do not get that vibe at all from the comic.
    Technically, she's a CE demon.

I'd peg her more as Neutral over the comic's course -- she's pretty much loyal only to herself and Nale, despite being under the IFFC.

15. - Top - End - #45

GreataxeFighterGirl

Well, I suppose everyone's a bit different as to how important hotness is for them. It also may depend on how you interpret "go out with" in the thread question - is it a euphemism for sex or is it talking about some lasting relationship?

I was thinking more of a lasting relationship (not a one-night stand) although for some people sex might be an important component of that.

16. - Top - End - #46

BlueWizardGirl

Maybe it's me who doesn't understand dating, and I know I'm in the minority on this, but I think the only reasonable pretext for dating anyone is to explore a long-term relationship. For anything else, you can just be friends.

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    I was thinking more of a lasting relationship (not a one-night stand) although for some people sex might be an important component of that.
    That's fair. Put me down as one of those strange folk who don't find sex intrinsic to romance.
    Last edited by Aveline; 2019-01-06 at 08:05 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Understatement!
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Technically, she's a CE demon.

I'd peg her more as Neutral over the comic's course -- she's pretty much loyal only to herself and Nale, despite being under the IFFC.
    Why would loyalty to no one suggest she's Neutral?

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    Understatement!
    I see what you did there.

But yeah, attractiveness-- or more accurately, attraction, the mutual chemistry between two people-- is pretty important for both short-term trysts and long-term romantic relationships (if we're talking sexual ones; I can't speak on what asexual people want).

I don't know what my answer would be to this question. Maybe none of them. Haley is probably most compatible with me but we may be too similar in the wrong ways-- we're both kind of stubborn and would probably butt heads a lot over that. And if we didn't, there's a chance it could turn into a sort of Bonnie and Clyde situation. (She would also hate that she would have a much harder time cheating at board games against me than Elan.) Lien might be a fit because, as Zimmerwald said, she's more down to earth and less into the trappings of high society / the bourgeoisie, although I'm probably not quite rugged enough for her. (I am more physically active than you might expect for someone who posts so often on a webcomic message board, but no one's going to mistake me for a longshoreman or anything.)

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I'm rather surprised nobody's said Durkon Thundershield. Though I would have to be careful to avoid forested areas during the date.
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2019-01-06 at 08:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    I'm rather surprised nobody's said Durkon Thundershield. Though I would have to be careful to avoid forested areas during the date.
    He's entirely too male for me. A female character who acted exactly like him...would still not be my choice because of her specific manifestations of Lawfulness.

Sabine's alignment is unstated. Whether Rich would let a succubus not be Chaotic Evil is in question based on things he's said, but until he spells out in so many words, "I am actually even more restrictive than WotC or Paizo, you'll never-never find a demon who isn't Chaotic Evil in my writing," speculating that she's Lawful is fair game in my book.

22. - Top - End - #52

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Why would loyalty to no one suggest she's Neutral?
    I assumed Neutral Evil was related closely to "selfish," like Grubwiggler or Bozzok.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Default Which character would you go out with?

1. Since I am married, none of them.
    2. Were I not, I'd hope for a date with Lien but I think she's spoken for so odds are that's out.
    3. This leaves Amun-Zora.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

24. - Top - End - #54

Evil is selfish. Grubwiggler, Bozzok, and Crystal are not particularly more selfish than Xykon or Tarquin.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Which character would you go out with?

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    1. Since I am married, none of them.
    2. Were I not, I'd hope for a date with Lien but I think she's spoken for so odds are that's out.
    3. This leaves Amun-Zora.
    I mean I'm just lurking in this thread, but how is Lien spoken for? Did I miss something?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zenzis View Post
    I mean I'm just lurking in this thread, but how is Lien spoken for? Did I miss something?
    I think it's a Don't Split the Party bonus strip where she mentions a boyfriend. (Elan is trying to set her up with Hinjo because he, uh, doesn't understand that paladins aren't an endangered species you have to encourage to mate, like pandas or some such.)

27. - Top - End - #57

I think I have to agree wholeheartedly with Extinguisher on Bandana, for all the same reasons. Bonus, we also know she's into girls.

Honorable mention to Jenny, the theive's guild bard. She didn't get much screen time and I for one would like to know more about her.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    I think I have to agree wholeheartedly with Extinguisher on Bandana, for all the same reasons. Bonus, we also know she's into girls.

Honorable mention to Jenny, the theive's guild bard. She didn't get much screen time and I for one would like to know more about her.
    Thank you!

I just wanted someone to validate my interest in domineering women.
    its taken so much longer than it would have on literally anywhere else i exist on the internet
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I think it's a Don't Split the Party bonus strip where she mentions a boyfriend. (Elan is trying to set her up with Hinjo because he, uh, doesn't understand that paladins aren't an endangered species you have to encourage to mate, like pandas or some such.)
    Strip 572 F, I had forgotten it was a bonus strip.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Where there is a shipping thread, there must be Homestuck nonsense! Here are what I imagine to be the comic's most desirable pusherthrobs:

Matesprit: Roy. He's hot, he cares about justice, and he'll get you through anything Alternia can throw at you.
    Moirail: Depends. Miko had bottomless conciliatory needs, but Elan was probably the only one with the potential to satisfy them.
    Kismesis: Tarquin. Self-explanatory if you know what a kismesis is. We already know he's into that kind of relationship.
    Auspistice: Thor/Loki. Don't destroy the world, you two.

Here are some of my personal faves that aren't already in a quadrant:

DG <3 Therkla
    DG <> Thog
    DG <3< Grubwiggler
    DG c3< Miko c3< Tsukiko