New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Exclamation CTHULLU/ILSENSIE Boss Fight

Hi all,

I am running a 5e version of the 2e Ilthiad adventure path (3 adventures - a darkness gathering, eternal night, and the dawn of the Overmind). A couple of the final battles (or big-ticket battles) involves fighting Maanzacorin (basically Cthulhu) and a giant mind-flayer worm.

Does any 4e expert know of a tactical encounter from a 4e product that involved something along these lines I can lift the battle map from - including the terrain and potentially monster tactics?

Wanted to make these fights memorable so will be using a grid instead of mind-theatre.

Thanks in advance.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: CTHULLU/ILSENSIE Boss Fight

Adapting a 2e adventure to 5e, and looking for inspiration in 4e, are we?

Dungeon Magazine 156 has a lovecraftian adventure which features Dagon (it is actually based on Lovecraft's "Shadow Over Innsmouth"). You might want to check into that, and the adventure is free on WotC archive: http://www.wizards.com/files/156_ashenport.pdf. It's a whole adventure, but maybe you can find inspiration in some weird monsters or encounters tehre. The magazine only has miniature maps though, maybe if you buy it on divethrurpg you can access the whole digital maps, but I wouldn't bet on that.

Madness at the Gardmore Abbey has a great Far Realm Sojourn, a challenge where the PCs find themselves in the weirdness of the Far Realm. It starts with a combat encounter and then procedes to a three-stages skill challenge.
    Last edited by Marcloure; 2019-01-08 at 12:03 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: CTHULLU/ILSENSIE Boss Fight

Quote Originally Posted by Marcloure View Post
    Adapting a 2e adventure to 5e, and looking for inspiration in 4e, are we?
    Yep, Im all over the place. But, as someone who has been playing D&D since the late 70s with people who eitehr have never played or only played 5e I like to expose them to older adventures. And I love 4e combat encounters.

Ashenport I have read through. May use something but most likely not. It doesnt fit mind-flayer well. I also found "Face of the Moon" in Dungeon #201 which I have crimped some inspiraiton from. Looks like a 4e "barrier peaks" inspired adventure. Its pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcloure View Post
    Madness at the Gardmore Abbey has a great Far Realm Sojourn, a challenge where the PCs find themselves in the weirdness of the Far Realm. It starts with a combat encounter and then procedes to a three-stages skill challenge.
    This on the other hand sounds like the ticket. Thanks!