New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 14: "I Deserve A Fancy Butt Emblem."

It does not appear that Vinyadan cares.
    Last edited by Kish; 2019-03-05 at 12:28 PM.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    Actually, it isn't. Jeph is his name.
    Wikipedia, so, y’know. But...
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

3. - Top - End - #753

I don't think the perspective "it's what it says on his birth certificate, so it's what I'm going to call him, what he wants to be called be damned" is in any way a defensible position, but, again, Vinyadan clearly doesn't care, so there seems little point in debating the "it is/isn't his legal name" clause.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I didn't know he got remarried.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Yeah, this is how I feel about the comic a lot recently. Which is why I prefer comics like today.

I like filler. This one might be a bit crude but it's funny enough.
    Most of the comic used to be so-called filler. I liked those days where actual character drama was the change-up from "people sitting around and snarking at each other", rather than the other way round.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Oof, I know Beeps's situation pretty hard.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Oof, I know Beeps's situation pretty hard.
    Except for the out loud part. Mostly that's my internal critic screaming at me, not the external one. External critics make everyone around you feel awkward and that reinforces the need to apologise, which gets recursive fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Most of the comic used to be so-called filler. I liked those days where actual character drama was the change-up from "people sitting around and snarking at each other", rather than the other way round.
    I don't dislike arcs per se either, but I dislike the two most recent ones. (not completely but in large parts)

Also.. I guess I'm dumb but I never got the 'this is how event relates to my experiences = I'm making this about me' argument.
    I mean, I guess it can happen but it seems like many people feel it's rude to talk about your connections with other people's problems.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

9. - Top - End - #759
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

I mean, I guess it can happen but it seems like many people feel it's rude to talk about your connections with other people's problems.
    I honestly wondered if Beep has a British accent. That sort of spontaneous guilt over displaying an emotion feels very much like one of our stereotypes (albeit one that is now falling out of fashion)

That, or she's Canadian.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

10. - Top - End - #760
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

I never got the 'this is how event relates to my experiences = I'm making this about me' argument.
    It's not so much that disclosing a personal connection to a sufferer's problems is inherently bad*, so much as feeling the need to do so isn't actually helpful. 'I know you're suffering, but I want you to know that I genuinely do understand what that suffering is like, because _____' isn't actually helpful to the sufferer, regardless of what fills the _____ (be it you have a personal connection or you've simply counseled a lot of people with this problem previously). Making it about oneself isn't necessarily the real problem, so much as not making it about (/addressing the situation of) the sufferer. 'I know you have problems with your body, but there are people dying in warzones and famines and natural disasters' would be another type of comment that would also not be helpful, but isn't about the person saying it.
    *Although anyone who watches sitcoms have definitely seen some examples where it is bad. Something in the 'I know how you must feel having your mom die, because I've had a goldfish die on me' vein.

11. - Top - End - #761

Also.. I guess I'm dumb but I never got the 'this is how event relates to my experiences = I'm making this about me' argument.
    Certainly, if you're doing it enough that "how event relates to my experiences" blots out "how event relates to person currently experiencing event."

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I tend to take such things as "i also went through this terrible thing" as giving comfort amd empathy. "Yes I also felt this way and it sucks" helps.
    It let's you know that other people also get through that thing.
    It's not from a position of pity but one of mutual understanding.
    It let's advice be taken from a place of experience rather than 'I read in a book that this helps' or 'my psych professor says..'
    It helps form an empathetic bond. It's why we feel sad about stuff in the first place.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ettin in the Playground

It's fine as long as it doesn't take over the conversation. Which is exactly what Beepatrice was apologizing for at the end, so.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Troll in the Playground

Nobody's going to talk about how Nelson has a Pintsize type chassis and may therefore be an ex-military AI?

OK.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Titan in the Playground

Beeps believes in other stuff, but not super-scary AIs hiding in the network... good for her.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Nobody's going to talk about how Nelson has a Pintsize type chassis and may therefore be an ex-military AI?

OK.
    Maybe that's how he got to be employee of the month nine times?

Having said that, im pretty sure Pintsize's appearance is not exclusive to the military version of the chassis.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I don't think it's a good idea for these two to live together. They have different priorities, different needs, different schedules. This is a friendship killer.

Renee is seeming awfully selfish here, I'm sure there's a happy middle ground between cave and surface of the sun.
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2019-03-08 at 01:16 AM.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sigh... Yes, Jeph, we know, you are all very progressive and your webcomic is full of representation, you don't need to drop a blatant line to establish yet another background character who is likely to be in the webcomic for all of half dozen pages as a lesbian/bisexual. I generally don't mind those gratuitous drops so long they don't harm the flow of the story, but this one was just so damn blatant and gratuitous.

Seriously, unless you were trying to draw attention to possible unprofessional behavior engaging in nepotism to hire their own spouse, which isn't really even relevant as far as Brun and [jerk girl I forgot the name] are concerned, the only reason to do so was to make sure we know 100% that yes, this character is, in fact, LGBT. Which is even sillier given his webcomic and general trends, given that, as it currently stands, any character presented unless they are explicitly made to be a jerk or the like, it's safe to assume that they are at least somewhat bisexual.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    I don't think it's a good idea for these two to live together. They have different priorities, different needs, different schedules. This is a friendship killer.

Renee is seeming awfully selfish here, I'm sure there's a happy middle ground between cave and surface of the sun.
    We haven't even seen Brun's prospective bedroom, but I would hazard that it is indeed somewhere between cave and surface of the sun, all the more so with blackout curtains (which do work - I have experience in that regard).

And hey, it may turn out to be a bad idea. But the characters have clearly expressed reasons for pursuing that idea now, so they're acting appropriately as characters.

20. - Top - End - #770

Griffon

I disagree - it would only be a bedroom if there was a bed in it.
    Unless this is a specific Americanism, such as using "bathroom" to refer to "toilet", in which case they're still wrong and talking funny.

In before Brun and Renee are mistaken for a romantic couple by their would-be landlords. Renee gets flustered and embarrassed, Brun makes it worse by being deadpan and failing to deny in a specifically suggestive way.

Landlady: "So, how long have you two been together?"
    Brun: "Since high school."
    Renee: "Well, I mean, not TOGETHER together, just... together..."
    LL: "Aww, that's sweet, you found each other again later."
    Brun: "My apartment burnt down. Renee gave me somewhere to stay. We've been together ever since."
    Renee: "Not TOGETHER, just... you moved in with me and now we need more space!"
    LL: "Aww!"
    Renee: "I MEAN... Not moving in TOGETHER, just... moving in together..."
    Brun: "You don't want me to move in with you?"
    Renee: "No, no! I do want you to move in with me, just.. No, hang on..."
    Brun: "You want me to move in with you but not be together? But this was your idea in the first place."
    LL: "It was awkward like this when my wife and I were first dating, but just remember; the make-up sex makes it all worthwhile!"
    Renee: "...oh god help..."
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-03-08 at 03:40 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ettin in the Playground

Felius, why do I suspect you would not have commented one bit if the property manager had referred to an opposite-sex spouse, and are only commenting on the "shoe-horning" of unnecessary information because it's not straight people? I think I suspect it because it would be accurate, in which case I say to you suck it up and deal with it. Queer folks exist in real life and in stories, and if you hate to see them in fiction, either get over it or stop reading things.

One of my friends in college was a weird dude. Slept on a nest of blankets in his closet. No bed. Called it his bedroom. Whatever works.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

22. - Top - End - #772

Some people just like sleeping in closets.

23. - Top - End - #773

I've never tried it, but that sounds quite comfortable, actually, if the closet is large enough? I just like dark and narrow spaces. I used to read at the back of a wardrobe full of old floor-lenght winter coats when I was a kid.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

24. - Top - End - #774

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post

One of my friends in college was a weird dude. Slept on a nest of blankets in his closet. No bed. Called it his bedroom. Whatever works.
    Didn't ants or other animals come and nest there, too? Was it just lying on the ground?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

25. - Top - End - #775
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Felius, why do I suspect you would not have commented one bit if the property manager had referred to an opposite-sex spouse, and are only commenting on the "shoe-horning" of unnecessary information because it's not straight people? I think I suspect it because it would be accurate, in which case I say to you suck it up and deal with it. Queer folks exist in real life and in stories, and if you hate to see them in fiction, either get over it or stop reading things.

I'm not sure about that. It seemed kind of forced to me as well, in a way that stands out from the rest of the comic.

For a time, I slept on a beanbag, as I was renting a 10x10 room in a flophouse and my room was not physically large enough to hold a decent bed in addition to a dresser and desk.

26. - Top - End - #776

Indeed. Also, last I checked, Marten is straight, Tai is a lesbian, there's no indication that Brun or Renee or Clinton or Claire or (I could keep going for a long time) is at all bisexual...in other words, the claim that every intended-to-be-sympathetic character is bisexual strikes me as an example of the logical fallacy I can't think of the name of where any representation looks like massive overrepresentation.

27. - Top - End - #777

From my point of view, the comic simply has shifted its genre or focus. It used to be a indie/hipster slice-of-life comic, and now is a minority representation slice-of-life comic. The comic is about members of different RL minorities who live normal lives with very supportive friends/partners. The only minority that faces discrimination is the non-RL one, the robots (May).

So I don't think it makes sense to say that a gay character is shoehorned in it, because I think that the comic is all about those people who would have been excluded by the old/traditional/surpassed/bigoted definition of "normal".
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    I'm not sure about that. It seemed kind of forced to me as well, in a way that stands out from the rest of the comic.
    Again, the line would not have been seen as anything worthy of comment if the woman referred to a husband instead of a wife. The fact that anyone sees this as a "forced" scenario at all is the issue here.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

29. - Top - End - #779

Quote Originally Posted by Felius View Post
    Sigh... Yes, Jeph, we know, you are all very progressive and your webcomic is full of representation, you don't need to drop a blatant line to establish yet another background character who is likely to be in the webcomic for all of half dozen pages as a lesbian/bisexual. I generally don't mind those gratuitous drops so long they don't harm the flow of the story, but this one was just so damn blatant and gratuitous.

Seriously, unless you were trying to draw attention to possible unprofessional behavior engaging in nepotism to hire their own spouse, which isn't really even relevant as far as Brun and [jerk girl I forgot the name] are concerned, the only reason to do so was to make sure we know 100% that yes, this character is, in fact, LGBT. Which is even sillier given his webcomic and general trends, given that, as it currently stands, any character presented unless they are explicitly made to be a jerk or the like, it's safe to assume that they are at least somewhat bisexual.
    The line seems rather natural to me.The kind of stuff a landlord would say when showing people around and also communicating to the reader that the flat is in good condition.
    I would hardly call having your licensed spouse fix something in a property you own nepotism.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I've never tried it, but that sounds quite comfortable, actually, if the closet is large enough? I just like dark and narrow spaces. I used to read at the back of a wardrobe full of old floor-lenght winter coats when I was a kid.
    Hah, me too! In wardrobes and under tables.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

30. - Top - End - #780
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    The line seems rather natural to me.The kind of stuff a landlord would say when showing people around and also communicating to the reader that the flat is in good condition.
    I would hardly call having your licensed spouse fix something in a property you own nepotism.
    Indeed. The line didn't stand out to me at all, to the point where I didn't consciously realize that the landlady was lesbian. And that's the goal right? Normalize it so that an offhand comment stays offhand.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”