New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Best build with belt of giant stregth?

So I play AL and unlocked a Belt of Storm Giant Strength

That's 29 strength.

But not till level 12 at the earliest.

What's a good build to best utilize it? Assume point buy.

My best idea so far is a Moon Druid that should crush while in Elemental form (sorta humanoid, belt should fit with DM fiat, obv).

Bladesinger Wizard was an idea, but by that level their crushing with spells more than fists.

Paladin focused on Charisma isn't a bad choice, but the first 12 levels will be rough not hitting well (would want to keep Str as low as possible to really max out the belts potential) and bumping dex over strength (can stay 8 if not multiclassing) seems like a waste when heavy armor is available...

Fighter and Barb are possibilities obviously, but again, hard first 12 levels that way - also such a dramatic playstyle change seems weird.

Valor of Sword Bard could work, but they don't really excite me. Hexblade seems a waste. Any other Blade Pact as well. Plus both Bard and Warlocks can really use other attunement slots...that's just overthinking it.

Anyhow, crowd sourcing ideas...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Best build with belt of giant stregth?

Just Fighter with PAM and GWM. Probably go for Samurai or Battle Master. No need to do anything crazy with your stats. Just get 16 strength and leave it there.
    Last edited by Blood of Gaea; 2019-01-14 at 04:05 AM.
    Reality is relative, and there is an exception to every rule.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Kensei monk.
    Or any Melee monk.
    Start as usuall (dex, with, a bit of con). then the belt is effectively a +4/+5 to you attack and damae rolls, easy

4. - Top - End - #4
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

Aarakocra Barbarian focused on grappling. Grab your enemy, fly off with them, drop them. Take 2 Rogue levels for Expertise in Athletics and the ability to dash as a bonus action.

Lizardfolk War Cleric focused on grappling. Restrain your enemy, make 2 bite attacks while not allowing him to escape your Spirit Guardians.

As mentioned, any Paladin would be awesome with 29Str

Straight forward Goliath Barbarian that uses a large Greataxe(2d12) or large Maul(4d6)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Forge Domain Cleric? Build for Wis/Con. Have enough strength to wear heavy armour but no more than that. You'll have a good AC (20 with plate + shield, 21 with the +1 if forge cleric and 22 after lvl 8). Hill Dwarf would be perfect for this as you can then wield warhammer/battleaxe.

Once you get the belt equipped, you're a full-casting melee monster.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The PCs, walk into a town they've never before visited together, all the villagers stop & stare at them. The PCs realise why when they get to the fountain at the centre of town, there are accurate statues of each of them, even down to the gear they currently carry. The statues have been here for generations...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    Aarakocra Barbarian focused on grappling. Grab your enemy, fly off with them, drop them. Take 2 Rogue levels for Expertise in Athletics and the ability to dash as a bonus action.
    Can’t be Aarakocra in an AL game, unfortunately.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

With that level of crazy strength, which honestly I am amazed is allowed in AL, I would say monk, or a TWF Fighter/Ranger.

With that kind of bonus you want all the attacks you can get to make it worth it.

More attacks = better.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Loxodon Grappling Monk of Shadow

It will be basically a monk with ok dexterity until you get ahold of the belt. If you can get your strength to 30, that is 900 pounds that you can carry without being overencumbered.

You have your trunk as well and good wisdom.

And you can teleport to any shady area that fits a medium sized creature.

Strength can be used for unarmed attacks as well as for grappling.

You will basically be an 8ft tall elephant batman that teleports to shadows and suplexes owlbears
    I'll top the bill, I'll earn the kill, I have to find the will to carry on, with the show, with the show.

(thanks Prime for awesum avatar, and thank you to all of the original BleachItP cast, it was great RP'ing with you)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Rapier and shield Dex Barbarian. Zealot will get you extra damage when Raging, which will be nice since you won't get bonus damage from rage.

Max Dex by level 8. ofr as good a Offense and defense you go get. If you can pick up Bracers of defense, go for it. At 12, you can get the Belt and pick a strength based weapon feat of your choice. Now your play style will completely change back to that of a standard Barbarian. At that point, max con for that sweet AC.

I'd start Variant Human with 16 Dex and Con and the GWM feat as the bonus action attack works with all melee weapon attacks, even the rapier with Dex. then at 12 I'd be free to grab PAM.
    Last edited by GlenSmash!; 2019-01-14 at 11:26 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Minotaur would be fun race to use a Belt of Giant Str with

Minotaur Barbarian would be epic! Run around totally naked and unarmed goring enemies with your horns and pushing them around with advantage.

Grapple, restrain, and horn attack

Similar to the Lizardfolk War Cleric idea, you could grapple, restrain, and make 2 horn attacks one of which would benefit from Divine Strike.

Forge Cleric could make their horns a +1 Magic weapon.

Minotaur Paladin that smites with their horns.

11. - Top - End - #11

I could definitely see some Shield Master abuse with 29str.

I love the idea of a Conquest Paladin with 29 Str and Shield Master. Knock targets prone and frighten them and they CAN'T get up.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Paladin. You can them dump all other ASI on CHA (of course first grabbing other good stuff like GWM, PAM if Variant Human + RES (CON) ) and having not only huge STR bonuses but perma +5 to all saving throws.

All Paladins work wonder with STR boosting items because they can bump CHA all the way up. Vengeance, Conquest and Devotion are my top for STR item abuse.

Barbarian with low STR (because you will have belt anyway) but High Dex and Con to abuse their Unarmored Defense is also great tool to use.

Not maybe that straight foward but Bladesinger Wizard with 1 level Fighter dip and that belt would seriously shatter balance.

I don't play AL but Storm Giant Belt on level 12?!

I usually don't allow my players to find Hill Giant Belt till like level 12 and before 10 they usually have to be happy with Ogre Gloves.

This is such huge power boost....
    Last edited by Benny89; 2019-01-14 at 08:27 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks for the feedback everyone...

I think I've decided to take some suggestions and flip it a bit: A barbarian who wants to be a wizard. Dump the strength to 8 and start high dex/con/int. Magic Initiate at 4, hat of disguise to keep my identity secret. Beat the crap outta things after 12. fun :)

Either Goblin or Gnome is my current thought.

Was REAL tempted to try a Paladin/Bladesong multiclass...but just seems hard and not necessarily worth it.
    Last edited by Jethro; 2019-01-15 at 04:52 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

No need for a hat, you can make the lankiest, most wiry and quiet character ever, put him in robes and put an oversized sword on his hip that he doesn't look comfortable lugging around.

He can talk about the stars and the essence of druidic magic as opposed to arcane tradition if he runs into a druid.

You can 100% make something that walks and talks like a wizard, especially with a decent int-score. Complete with an absolute unit of a book that he studies and writes in every morning. Be sure to talk openly to the group about the importance of long, thorough rests.

Only for him to rage the first combat he enters into.
    I'll top the bill, I'll earn the kill, I have to find the will to carry on, with the show, with the show.

(thanks Prime for awesum avatar, and thank you to all of the original BleachItP cast, it was great RP'ing with you)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Just a couple of comments ...

It sounds like you unlocked the belt on a high level character. The item is Legendary and if you want to trade it to another character of yours they will also be required to have a legendary magic item of their own from the same loot table in the DMG in order to trade it. You won't be able to just give the item to your new character.

The belt comes from table I and if you level up enough you can purchase a staff of the magi which is also a legendary from table I that is unlocked for season 8. You would be able to trade that for the belt. It would cost you 24 tier 3 treasure points to purchase which will take you until half way through level 12 at a minimum. It will also cost you 24 tier 3 treasure points to purchase the belt and then some downtime to trade it between characters.

---

Other than that, a hexblade PAM/GWM warlock might be an option - focus on CHA to 20 then upgrade the combat capabilities with the belt. With darkness/devils sight or shadows of moil, combined with PAM/GWM, thirsting blade, improved pact weapo, lifedrinker and the additional to hit from str you will be a very effective combat character.
    Last edited by Keravath; 2019-01-15 at 04:11 PM.