New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [5e IC] The Storm on the Horizon

Spoiler: GM Only GIDEON 2 Backstory
    Show

Damian Backstory (Gideon 2)

Damian was born the illegitimate son of Jacen, king of the tribe Ul Vadr and Ana, a roaming Shieldmaiden. Despite her warrior ways, Ana settles down to give her son a good and peaceful life. Using the money she had earned over her years of mercenary work she was able to give Damian a comfortable upbringing. Nonetheless Damian was restless. Between a quick temper, petty theft and scrappy fist fights at a young age it seemed Damian was always getting into trouble, always with someone bigger, older, or with higher social status. When he was 15 Damian stole the local magistrate’s horse to impress a girl, the mayors daughter. When he was caught with both the horse and the daughter the mayor overreacted and sentenced Damian to execution at the chopping block.
    While sitting in his prison cell the night before his execution, he began to hear a commotion in the jail, short, sudden screams then muffled thuds. Before he could count to 10 a figure appeared in front of his cell and unlocked the door, grabbing him unceremoniously by the scruff of the neck he was led out of the jail and out of the city to two packed horses ready to go. His savior finally unmasked herself and Damian was stunned to see his mother, fully armed. Her eyes were so disapproving that Damian could literally feel his penis getting smaller.
    They rode in silence for a long while before Damian started bombarding Ana with questions. After he was done Ana stayed silent until the made camp. Once a fire was going Ana started deep into the flames before recalling her past life. Damian’s eyes grew wide with both awe and surprise at the woman his mother was.
    The next morning Ana woke her son up at the crack of dawn by tossing a scimitar at Damian’s rib cage. “Defend yourself.” She cried and began attacking him.
    For having no official training Damian lasted about 7 seconds before being disarmed. “Again.” She said, “If you’re going to be causing me this much trouble I can’t afford to be killing every jail guard in Aezelon to keep you safe.”
    Days went by, Ana hunted and scavenged to keep them fed, while also teaching her son how to fend for himself.
    At last they entered the next town/city. While still very green, Damian could still handle himself better then most 15 year olds.
    The next few years were very different from the last few. Leaving much of what they had behind they had to scavenge and make their way on the streets. This helped Damian develop incredible stealth and pickpocketing skills as well as the ability to read people and know their motives before sometimes even they did.
    Seven years passed, Damian and Ana had made quite a name for themselves as bounty hunters as well as protectors of the helpless and less fortunate. Wether it was invading bandits or a crooked city guard, mother and son were there to deal with them.
    While Damian was just getting into the life, Ana was getting older and tired of it. One day not far removed from his twenty-third birthday, she sat him down like she used to do when he was a small boy.
    Ana told him she was retiring her sword, but if Damian so much as stepped one hair out of line, or went against anything she’d taught him, she would come out of retirement to hunt him down. With that she handed him a beautiful, ornate scimitar. “This is a gift your father gave to me. If you should ever find him, he’ll know and he’ll finally get to see the man you’ve grown into.”
    With that she sent Damian out on his own.
    Slightly shaken about his mother’s retirement and being out on his own for the first time, he bucked up, did a few bounty jobs to get a substantial amount of coin before heading to..........once there he began walking around the streets, mingling with the locals and quickly made several important contacts in the city.

Lying: bends the truth to get what he wants.

Cheating: Cheat to win.

Stealing: Yes.

Killing: Often kills for money

Authority: Total loaner for the most part.

Regime/Politics: no, unless they’re paying me.

Philosophy: the ends justify the means. we free to choose our actions

The Law: Hunts bounties, but also breaks the law almost habitually for

The Unknown: Cynic, doesn’t really care for any of that.

Other People: Preferring to work alone, he uses people and manipulates people to get what he wants.

Habits: Temper, drinking, fornicating, pretty standard.

Secrets: He May have knocked up that mayors daughter.

Class: While he doesn’t hate or resent the rich, he’s defiantly always stood up for the little guy.

Pride 3
    Avarice 1
    Lust 2
    Gratitude 1
    Gluttony 2
    Wrath 1
    Diligence 3

Short Term:
    Make money.
    Medium:
    Sell out
    Long:
    Bro down, possibly find and meet his father.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

After a long quiet morning spent packing up camp, overshadowed by the sword piercing the nearby hill, Bendron breaks the days silence. "We can't say out in this wilderness, and there's a long trip to any other city." The last words are tinged with a slight disgust and glance back to Farindahl. "It's either more elves at Suldetta or across the mountains to Urdale"
    Last edited by Graehamkracker; 2019-02-14 at 10:33 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

After no response and realizing that Chad is still in the denial of grief, Bendron adds: "Either way, we need to head north. It's time to get moving." Bendron gets up and stretches, walking away from the camp to give Chad some space and prepare for the trip.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chad stares off into the distance, but shakes himself enough to stammer out a few cold words "I have had quite enough of elves."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

Having made himself perfectly clear, Chadwick begins wordlessly packing his belongings. The elegantly decorated short sword stands in noble salute over the soft mound of freshly disturbed dirt and casts a somber shadow on the spirits of the two companions as they prepare to leave their friend behind in his new and final resting place.

The sun peeks over the horizon, its merry rays blissfully unaware of the tragedy that it missed over the night. The wet ground steams as the warm glow lifts the humidity from the grass and into the air. The day is muggy and the air is thick as the sun slowly rises higher in the sky.
    Last edited by Dragodar; 2019-02-15 at 01:16 PM.
    ...And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by, from this day until the ending of the world, but we in it shall be remembered. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother, be he ne'er so vile this day shall gentle his condition. And gentlemen in England now abed shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap, whiles any speaks that fought with us upon St. Crispin's Day!

6. - Top - End - #66

Chadwick finally stirs, gathering up his things. He pauses over Gideon's memorial and lays one hand on the hilt of the sword, his other hand clutching the symbol of Hyroneus around his neck. He lets out a single tear as he mutters a prayer under his breath. After what seems like an age, he turns around and meets Bendron's gaze. "Let's get as far away from here as possible."

As the two of them begin to pack of their things and break camp, A beam of sunlight breaks through the clouds and reflects off of the short sword in Gideon's grave. A fierce breeze rushes in, cool and refreshing, and dispels the thick humidity in the air. From somewhere behind them, Chadwick and Bendron hear a soft whinnying. Turning around, they see a majestic white warhorse cantering toward them, a massive beast nearly seventeen hands tall.

As it comes nearer, they see a dark spot on it's forehead. Upon closer inspection, they can see that it is the only dark hair on the entire beast, and it forms the shape of a shield, the symbol of Hyroneus.

Chadwick and Bendron gaze at the celestial creature in utter awe and fascination while it gives off an otherworldly glow in the reflection of the morning sun. It is several moments before Chadwick is able to speak. "Never before in my life have I seen such tangible and miraculous evidence of the providence of Hyroneus," he whispers in amazement, as he reaches out a hand to the beast's muzzle. The absolute surprise and shock is evident on the paladin's face. It is clear he had no expectation of such a boon.

The horse saunters directly up to Chad and nuzzles his hand affectionately.

Spoiler: Celestial Warhorse
    Show

Spoiler: Chadwick Only
    Show
    As the horse nuzzles your hand, you also feel a soft nudge on the edge of your consciousness, like a voice inside your head. Gingerly reaching out with your mind, you feel the mind of the warhorse. It is strange and animalistic, thinking in images and emotions with no words, but you feel an immediate sense of familiarity and understanding. You feel close to this beast, as though you have known it for a very long time. It's consciousness, though bestial, is intelligent for a horse, and you get the acute feeling that it can understand your mental commands.
    Last edited by Dragodar; 2019-02-19 at 05:17 PM.
    ...And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by, from this day until the ending of the world, but we in it shall be remembered. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother, be he ne'er so vile this day shall gentle his condition. And gentlemen in England now abed shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap, whiles any speaks that fought with us upon St. Crispin's Day!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Bendron keeps a fair distance away and looks up at the horse, awed. "It seems that we've been blessed on our course - perhaps something awaits us at Urdale."
    Last edited by Graehamkracker; 2019-02-18 at 04:52 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chadwick, still in shock himself, notices Bendron's obvious trepidation. Attempting to calm him down, he says, "I'm gonna keep it real with you, this has never happened to me before. But I felt the power flowing through me when it happened so this is definitely a gift from Hyroneus... And plus, free magic horse. Let's ride." He blinks away his remaining tears and forces a smile.
    Last edited by RealZachKraus; 2019-02-19 at 04:46 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

"I.... I have no idea how to.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I'll give you a boost."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

Bendron accepts Chad's help and awkwardly sits atop the horse, grabbing onto it's mane to stabilize himself. "This cannot be the best way to travel."

12. - Top - End - #72

After situating themselves upon Chad's new steed, the pair set off northeast. As they travel, Farindahl slowly shrinks in the distance. Stealing small glances over his shoulder every now and then, Chadwick soon loses sight of the short sword stuck in the mound of fresh dirt. The sun rises higher in the sky as they continue forward, leaving the occupied city and their old friend behind them.

=============

Hours pass, mostly in silence, as the two unlikely friends make their way toward the Sudrin Mountains. As the sun passes its peak and begins to dip toward its bed in the west, the mountains become visible on the horizon far to the north.

=============

After what feels like ages of gradual progress, the trio find themselves in the foothills of the Sudrin Mountains. The sun is dipping low toward the western horizon, and the evening songbirds have begun to sing. Already they have gained altitude just entering the foothills, and the air feels colder and thinner here. Chadwick's steed seems tired.
    Last edited by Dragodar; 2019-02-20 at 10:03 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

As the cooler evening air came in and the mountains rose to reach the sun on the horizon, Bendron perks back up and eventually breaks the silence. "That orc - the one who ran off with my halberd - you seemed to have some history. Who is he?"

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chadwick eyes the sun sinking low, "it's late, and Gideon is getting tired. We should make camp for the night, I think." Reaching out with his mind he beckons for the horse to crouch down to its knees, making an easier dismount for the dwarf.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

As the horse nears the ground Bendron happily jumps off, mussing his feet in the dirt. "You're right, but that's not answering the question." Bendron starts to look around for a good patch of ground to camp in. "Also, Is it common to name horses after people? Even those who have just passed?"

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I wasn't avoiding the question. It's a sore subject, for sure but I owe you that much. And yes. All the time."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

"How about just a name and how he knew you then?"

18. - Top - End - #78

As the two friends speak with one another, they come to a stop near a small grove of four spruce trees. There is an open space between them about twenty by twenty feet, and it appears to be a comfortable and relatively safe place to make camp.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Having ridden without a saddle all day, both Chadwick and Bendron take one level of exhaustion.

Gideon whinnies and nickers softly as Chadwick dresses him down for the night.

Show
    You feel a mental message from your steed that can only be described as a strong feeling: HUNGRY.

They continue their conversation as Chadwick tethers Gideon to one of the trees and Bendron sets up camp.
    Last edited by Dragodar; 2019-02-20 at 05:07 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

Eventually realizing that now was not the time for Chad, Bendron sets to setting up camp, and preparing a mental list of things to do once they reached the city.

As the sun rises, Bendron and Chad pack up the camp and head back onto the road. Bendron is still uncomfortable upon the horse, and less comfortable with the silence, but is able to find paths through the mountains that ought to be relatively safe. During the quiet ride, his mind wanders, trying to discern the qualities of the mountain stone and wondering if there would be any dwarves in Urdale and what they might remember of the Lifstill
    Last edited by Graehamkracker; 2019-02-22 at 11:05 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80

”You know mountains pretty well right? How long do you figure it will take us to get through them? Or over them.” he says, remembering what happened last time they took the path through mountains.

21. - Top - End - #81

As the pair heads into the mountains, the air begins to thin and the ground becomes rockier. The grass here is sparser, and where there is vegetation it is coarse and rough, adapted to the dry and cold conditions.

The further up and in they travel, the colder it gets. Despite the sun rising higher in the sky, the temperature drops rapidly as they ascend, and soon it is difficult to breath. They find themselves stopping more and more frequently as they continue their journey, growing tired far more quickly. The wind is stronger up here, coming in powerful gusts and never settling to anything less than a strong breeze.

They realize, gazing up at the peaks far above them and realizing what little progress they've seemingly made in the last several hours, that the elements here are extremely unforgiving. They are already at about the same altitude they were when they discovered the entrance to the city of Dorôwil, and they are hardly more then a fifth of the way up the mountainside. The peaks tower above them, seemingly miles away. This journey will be highly treacherous to say the very least.

Soon it is faster to walk than to ride Chadwick's steed, and both companions realize that if they trek much higher, the horse will not be able to accompany them.

Spoiler: Bendron Only
    Show
    You recognize the igneous stone of the mountains. The Sudrin Mountains housed the cities of the Yundri many centuries ago, and unlike most of the rest of the world, the stone feels the same. Having grown up underground, however, the outsides of the mountains are entirely unfamiliar to Bendron.
    Last edited by Dragodar; 2019-02-22 at 11:24 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

"I don't know much about the outside of them. I'd imagined there would be a road, but it seems our horse and driver have a poor sense of direction. We may want to search for safer passage."
    Last edited by Graehamkracker; 2019-02-22 at 11:27 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83

”Ya know what? That is so uncalled for, you douche bag. Maybe we should go through the mountains after all. Or maybe around them? What do you think?” asks Chad between heavy breathing.
    Last edited by Nightwing32193; 2019-02-22 at 11:29 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84

About a hundred yards away, Chadwick and Bendron spot a figure approaching them. It appears to be a bear standing on its hind legs and waving at them as it ambles toward them.

Show
    You feel a prodding mental message from your steed that can only be described as an urgent feeling: VERY HUNGRY.
    Last edited by Dragodar; 2019-02-23 at 02:16 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

Bendron, doubled over from laughter and shortness of breath, points at the figure, words punctuated by laughs and gasps. "I think.... I'm seeing... things.

26. - Top - End - #86

Chad grips his medal and stares blankly.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Peering at the figure, Bendron continues: "Is that a 'I also see the friendly bear?' Because it's not clear."

28. - Top - End - #88

Chad sacks up and readies his great axe that he also named Gideon after his fallen brother.

29. - Top - End - #89

As the shape gets closer, the pair can see that it is a humanoid figure wrapped liberally in thick furs and hides. The figure continues to wave as it approaches. When it is within earshot, maybe forty or fifty yards away, it shouts out in a muffled voice through the furs on its head: "Ho there! Wrong way!"

Spoiler: Image for Comparison
    Show
    Like this except he also has furs over his face and hands.
    Last edited by Dragodar; 2019-02-23 at 01:07 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

Bendron yells back: "Are you sure? I think this is west!"