New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Cleric//Dread Necro gestalt advice

So I've decided I want to try this gestalt combo out in my current game. We are level 10. I was wondering what feats are mandatory for this build and wether it's better to have an army of smaller undead or a couple stronger undead?

Also I'll be a Grimweird as race (monster campaign, the LA is free for him, and nothing from HD will stay. I keep racials and racial abilities modifiers).

Also if it's worth to take a one level dip in marshal since I will have a huge CHA score.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Cleric//Dread Necro gestalt advice

Hm. I imagine that you'd want Divine Metamagic then since you're swimming with rebuke/turns, and unlike an ordinary dread necromancer you can cast divine spells as divine spells (rather than advanced learning them and casting them as arcane).

Hm. A lot of stuff Dread Necros love you probably would have as a cleric. Desecrate, for one, is a useful spell.

One feat that might be worth getting if you can ignore the racial requirement is Southern Magician, letting some of your spells be the opposite type of spells, thus meaning you can wear higher grades of armour whilst casting somewhat.

Tomb Tainted soul of course. The Dread Necro's Charnel Touch is generally ruled to act as negative energy enough that tomb tainted soul will make it heal you. Infini-weak heals, never go into combat without full health again. (I feel that that's worth the humour of 'and then I touch myself' every session)
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Malphegor View Post
    Tomb Tainted soul of course.
    He is already undead and their for healed by negative energy so Tomb Tainted soul has absolutely no use what so ever...

Can you tell us what you are keeping from Grimweird since you aren't taking the rhd I assume that means this is a stripped down version?

For the most part it is better to have a few powerful undead than to have a horde of useless undead, you might take a look at bone knight from Eberron five nations book, it is totally worth loosing a caster level. Already being undead a lot of the draws from going straight dread necro aren't worth it and you will hit a point of diminishing returns where there are better choices than skeletons and zombies and there so leaving dread after level 8~ is a good idea. You also aren't gaining much from traditional prcs like pale master so you are relatively open there. Maybe go with something like sand shaper?

Divine metamagic is an amazing choice +10 cha from your race, though I don't think a level of marshal is giving you much of a bang for your buck so I would advice against it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by liquidformat View Post
    He is already undead and their for healed by negative energy so Tomb Tainted soul has absolutely no use what so ever...
    Ah, I misread that, didn't twig that grimweirds are undead, my mistake, cheers.
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Can you tell us what you are keeping from Grimweird since you aren't taking the rhd I assume that means this is a stripped down version
    I keep both the ability drain and the unholy grace, also all ability score increases, I do not get the spells. I will then advance as normal with class HD and the like.

Maybe go with something like sand shaper?
    Thats an interesting class, thanks for the direction to it. I figured the marshal dip might be alright, but didn't know what I would pump with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Malphegor View Post

One feat that might be worth getting if you can ignore the racial requirement is Southern Magician
    We're are limited to just 3.5 unfortunately
    Last edited by Buterbean; 2019-01-18 at 12:38 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

As you're already undead and you are a cleric, Fell Energy Spell. Throw it on conviction. Throw it on resistance. Throw it on armor of darkness, etc., etc.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    As you're already undead and you are a cleric, Fell Energy Spell. Throw it on conviction. Throw it on resistance. Throw it on armor of darkness, etc., etc.
    I like that