New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Apex IC

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Apex IC

Katarina awakens to a rainy morning. Her senses only slowly sharpen, hearing the gentle patter of droplets on the large ornate windows, seeing the interior of her lavish bedroom, furnished with comforts beyond the imagination of most mortals, both in craftmanship and the magic inherent in some of them. The wonderfully soft bed beneath her, and the warm, soft form of Amelyn against her, sleeping peacefully in her arms. A comfortable mood to enjoy as memories of the last evening drift back into Katarina's mind.

A long and fruitful training session. It is remarkable how long they spent unified. For the Apex, it is effortless, of course, but Amelyn is only barely a woman, and having one's mind opened to the immensity of the Weave is taxing, to say the least. Most are not ready to grasp even a part of it. She knows an Apex wizard who had to condition his mind for decades upon decades. But for Katarina, it is all feel and understanding. And she watched Amelyn understand a little more yesterday. She has improved greatly, recently having reached the important benchmark that is known as the limited wish by the arcane community, and the channeling of the glory of love and magic into one holy word. So this warranted a longer training session, as Amelyn started to realize she was reaching a point where her magic started to be able to achieve nearly anything. They dove deep into the most fundamental forces of the arcane and the divine, both springing from love and magic, overwhelming in their vastness, yet beautiful in their elegance. After many hours of exploring this together, Katarina broadening Amelyn's horizon, the girl channeled the seventh grade not just effectively, but also beautifully. The memory of the girl's exhausted, but delighted and grateful smile still warms Katarina.

No one has achieved the status of an Apex at as young an age as Katarina, her innate understanding and talent having made her powerful when no teacher could. She can see much of her own talent in the prodigy in her arms, and under her guidance, Amelyn may yet lower the record further.

The young woman stirs, long black hair shifting. Blue eyes open slowly, finding Katarina's green ones, and Amelyn can't help but smile softly. She moves up just enough to kiss her mistress, but not enough to disrupt their shared morning comfort. Katarina feels magic in Amelyn's every touch, a remarkable little quirk of hers, and through it, a gentle greeting, and the sensation of feeling well-rested.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Apex IC

Katarina enjoys the moment for a while and then gently pulls Amelyn into a position where her back is against Katarina's front, with her head resting on her breasts. She begins to caress her gently, slowly working her up, into her famous massage. As she does so, she speaks softly to her pupil.
    Never forget that while what we do is different and better in the longer run, the way they cast magic is not wrong. Their way brings them more power more quickly, even if in the long run, they will not match us. And you have seen the immensity of the Weave, few people could see it as you have, and you have not even seen the half of it. It would drive even the strongest mind insane, as it would you were I not here to guide you and pull you back from trying to do too much, too soon...and a mind untrained to magic would not even have a chance. You are truly a special prodigy, even those in this house there are no others that could handle it. I felt from the moment I found you that you were one like me that could do things in my way.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Amelyn sighs as she enjoys the attentions of her mistress, putty in Katarina's hands. As much as she desires new experiences, Amelyn never tires of anything Katarina does. At the same time, her mind is open to the Apex' words, not just hearing, but understanding, internalizing, putting into context... and making her blush with appreciation and a little pride.

"Mystra and Sune took good care of me, but the way they tried to teach me felt so... stilted and unnatural. When I met you, I felt like the way I did magic was like the rote motions of a copper whore being compared to the ministrations of Sune herself. Same result, but so boorish and forced. Now I feel like my eyes are finally opening, like my magic finally feels like a part of me. And it is all thanks to you, Katarina." Amelyn smiles, and Katarina can even feel it, her pupil finding a peace she lacked for so many years. She gladly cast away all she knew when Katarina started to teach her, and the process was hugely rewarding not just for Amelyn, but Katarina as well, who can watch her pupil grow every single day, and sees her love and gratitude in every look and gesture.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

There is never a need to apologize for doing something out of love and to bring pleasure to another. And truly, every day I see you growing in your skills is a reward to my heart, I see you doing great things in the world, inspiring people with your passion as I have....but speaking of the rest of the world, I have no doubt its out there, probably looking for us as we speak Her gestures are almost second hand, they are so nonchalant, creating yet another unseen servant. Go forth and fetch Eve to come and see us, to bring us the days news she turns to Amelyn we can wait for her here.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Amelyn blushes and smiles at Katarina's praise, kissing her once more and settling in to await Eve's arrival. The slight patter of the rain outside feels all the more soothing, and almost like the weather gives them an excuse to just stay in bed and warm each other.

It does not take long before the can hear the familiar steps, the door opening for a moment to reveal Eve Sylna, half-elven secretary to the world's only freelance Apex. As always, she is dressed sharply, both mages hearing the clicks of her black heels whose straps are winding their way up her calves, with a black short skirt and a light-blueish top that is part blouse, part wrap top. Her red mane falls upon her shoulders in flowing locks. There is no hiding her generous hourglass figure, and neither does she try, her clothes accentuating her curves nicely without going overboard, also making it so very easy to draw the eye to the natural sway of her hips. She is, after all, the secretary of a mistress worshipping love itself.

Out of the entire household, Eve is perhaps best equiped to handle Katarina's legendary beauty and charisma, but even she needs to stop for a moment in front of a bed upon which lie both the Apex and her star pupil, both with beauty unlike either of them have ever been seen with before. She needs to clear her throat a little as an enticed blush appears.

"I'm sorry, mi'ladies, I seem to have misplaced my mistress and the young lady. I was unaware we had a goddess and her high priestess as our guests." Eve gives a perfect deep curtsey, along a mock-humble smile, granting both women quite the view. She chuckles as she heads to the side of the bed Katarina is on, seating herself with her magic slate in hand. "Joking aside, I see that you have your morning glow already, and what a glow it is. Fair warning, half of the estate may or may not have heard you. So I'll cut to the chase while I can still form intelligible sentences and resist the urge to tear off my clothes." She smiles to both women, lips wine-red. To her credit, her composure is most likely better than her little self-deprecating humor would suggest, but she is a good judge of people, and of herself, so better get business out of the way.

"The weather will clear up tomorrow, and lovely weather is about to follow. Remy tells me the dryads are quite enjoying the rain today, so the garden is doing particularly well. We received an invitation from Kit, our favorite local farming lass, humbly asking if you and whoever of your household you would like to bring to attend the coming harvest festival as guests of honor, as thanks for granting them ideal weather and Remy adding his natural touch and teachings. I hear the harvest will be quite bountiful this year. And the harvest maiden may have a kiss for you." Katarina knows Kit as their primary contact in terms of local produce that doesn't come from the estate's garden, owning a local farm and forest-side orchard with a quite decent reputation. Irmin, Carina, and Remy are most often in contact with her, exchanging the respective fruits of their labor (Kit also sometimes selling some of what Katarina's estate produces for them on the market, as by now there is quite a bit of demand for it and what Kit grows thanks to Remy's help) and maintaining a very friendly relationship. Kit also can't help but flirt with pretty much all members of the estate. Amelyn apparently also got to know her quite closely during a casual visit.

"As for business, there was the usual flood of requests. Most was pedestrian stuff that could easily be handled by other adventurers. Count von Vendekin beseeched me to get your aid once again, this time apparently being haunted by an evil ancient banshee. Archmagistress Tatianna once again renewed her request for you to take part in her weeklong ritual." Eve and Amelyn have a chuckle. Both mentioned people are well-known to all three of them. The Count has requested Katarina's aid often, each time being haunted or stalked by some nefarious creature, and if only she would come to his rescue and stay by his side a few days, no creature would ever dare to haunt him again. Archmagistress Tatianna, meanwhile, is a middle-aged wizard who despite her title is nowhere near the level of an Apex (though she does wield respectable arcane powers), and seems quite adamant about wanting Katarina to assist in her specially made tantric ritual of uncertain purpose. Eve is quite certain that both simply want to lock themselves in a room with the Apex for a few days, trying to lure her with riches and/or arcane knowledge.

"But we do have an interesting candidate here. Eren Quinn, leader of the Whitegate Fellowship, requested your assistance in finding the lair of Kranrakor Blackwing, an ancient draconic lich who once drained the life from a whole duchy a century ago before mysteriously disappearing without a trace. Eren says his party has recently found obscure records pointing towards the dragon-lich's lair, and they want to find out if the creature still exists, and destroy it for good if so. So far, so ordinary." For anyone else, such a thing would hardly qualify as ordinary. "However, Eren believes Kranrakor is in the possession of an ancient tome the dragon stole before his disappearance, the Shaldrin Records, concerning nexi of cosmic energies and how to possibly harness them, making it a highly sought after tome indeed. Should it be there, Eren offers the tome to you, to know it is in good hands and kept away from the evil and the overzealous. He also offers half of the dragon's hoard to you, as well as funds and magic items from the group if it turns out that there is not much treasure to be had, or if the trace happens to be a dead end. Having met Eren, I judge him true to his word, humble, and very sincere in his intentions. Making sure that the dragon is destroyed seems to be the main interest of him and his party, and they came to me first, not having told anyone else about the trace yet. He also seems to have no illusions that without your help, they likely won't be able to destroy a creature like Kranrakor Blackwing and ensure he stays dead." Eve gives a short pause. "Would you like me to invite him to the estate for an interview? If so, with or without his party?" The secretary also fans a little air to her blushing cheeks. She is doing an admirable job at keeping her composure (which speaks highly for Eve), but even hers is finite.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Turning to Anelyn, Katarina gives a little laugh its remarkable that she is able to keep her composure, but maybe you could do a few things, a display perhaps, to see if you can crack it. In her mind, she is already making plans, of course, she and Remy at the least (and any other household members who wish to come) will attend the harvest festival; and Eren Quinn will be granted an interview for her to see personally if his intentions are true (not that she doesnt trust Eve's intuition, she already holds back 90% of the supplicants, but she likes to make the final call)...without his party.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

With another one of Irmin's wonderful creations in front of them and Katarina's full staff present, she gives thanks to all of them for coming, thanks to Irmin for the creation and then tells everyone to sit and enjoy. Of course, it takes some time to fully partake of one of Irmin's meals and she doesnt rush anyone, its not like they are under any sort of time limit or constraint, its now time to just enjoy each others company.
    Once she sees that everyone is almost finished, she rises, touching her glass with a fork to create the slightest of rings, pulling everyone's attention to her.
    I have two announcements for us. First of all, I, and by extension, thats all of you, have been invited to the harvest festival of Kit's village and I have graciously accepted their invitation. Of course, I would imagine that Remy will be coming as well, but the invitation does apply to all of us, so any and all of you who wish to attend are more than welcome to come.
    Second, it has come to my attention that a particular adventuring party has come upon rumors of a dragon with a hoard beyond imagination and a tome of unknown origin and power, the sort of tome that interests me greatly...not that I am immune to the lure of money either. Their leader has been invited to a sit down with me so that I can give a final assessment of the sincerity of his request and his aims, the fact that he has made it past our ferocious gatekeeper and her rigorous standards speaks volumes in itself, and I will likely be soon departing on that mission, although not until after the festival.
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2019-05-04 at 07:17 AM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Eve warns Katarina as they head to the dining hall. "You better be ready for when the others see you." And it turns out that was not said for no reason.

Her faithful staff assembled, Katarina sees their various reactions.

Ever immaculate maid of honor Sybilla seems to have a permanent blush on her face, and can't help but cast loving, longing looks towards Katarina.

The energetic maidservant Meave has one elbow planted firmly on the table, head resting on her hand while eating with the other, just continuously looking straight at Katarina with the biggest closed smile, clearly enjoying the view.
    (Sybilla: "Meave, you're staring.", Meave: "You're staring, I'm admiring.")

Chef Irmin, despite his physique, seems almost a little shy today, like today was actually a special occasion and he wished he had prepared something nicer. Nicer in this case meaning better than the usual world-class cuisine he serves up even for breakfast.

Chef's assistant Carina just can't stop smiling in a most adorable manner with rosy cheeks, glancing to Katarina and Amelyn periodically. And since the towering woman is sitting next to Amelyn, it feels like only the fact that they are having breakfast, as well as decorum are keeping her from pulling Amelyn into a hug and keeping her there.

And finally, the gardener Remy... actually is handling the situation pretty well. Upon entering, he was clearly surprised at how Katarina and Amelyn were looking, wished them a good morning, and sincerely told them they were looking remarkably beautiful today. Otherwise, he has by far the easiest time having breakfast. His relationship with the dryads most likely has something to do with that.

Everyone listens attentively during the announcement, the remark about Eve drawing a knowing chuckle, while the secretary, right on cue, takes a playfully-self-satisfied sip as if to say I do what I can. "I think I'll hold down the fort during the festival and sort out the business side of the petition. I never like procrastinating on that."

Sybilla chimes in right after. "Meave and I will prepare for our guest. And I would love to accompany you during the festival." Her voice is musical as ever, perhaps even more so today. Meave nods in agreement. "I'm so there." The maidservant still has not ceased her staring admiring. Knowing Meave, she will be up to no shortage of mischief during the festival.

"Can I prepare any potions or concoctions for you?" Carina asks, followed by Irmin's "Would you like lunch packets, or rations?" A short pause. "Oh, and I would like to come to the festival, too. Kit is working so hard to make it happen." "I will be there as well. Kit is a friend of the estate, after all, and turning down such a lady's invitation would be rather rude."
    Calling Kit a lady doesn't happen too often, the woman herself being rather down to earth and "charmingly rough 'round the edges", but Irmin is known for good manners.

Finally, Remy nods. "It would be nice to catch up with Kit and the others, perhaps prepare the soil for the winter and meet the local fey as well. As for your adventure, are you hoping to find anything in particular in the tome?"

Little is asked about the adventure, but that is because it is common knowledge that everyone in the room naturally is looking forward to hear if the petitioner meets the Apex' requirements, as well as Katarina telling them all about her endeavors after the adventure.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    Finally, Remy nods. "It would be nice to catch up with Kit and the others, perhaps prepare the soil for the winter and meet the local fey as well. As for your adventure, are you hoping to find anything in particular in the tome?"
    They said no one as flighty as me could become an Apex sorceress...and I proved them wrong. They said that no one who worshiped a concept instead of a goddess could become an Apex priestess...and I proved them wrong. Now they say there is nothing beyond being an Apex...and I am in the habit of proving people wrong. Even if there is nothing there on that idea, simply keeping it from people who would misuse or even unleash something they cant control is worth it
    #GoreMutualarejerks

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

The staff seems rather stunned by Katarina seeking to go beyond the Apex. Amelyn and Eve knew about Katarina's desire, but even for them, it is difficult to imagine a level beyond the very top when the top is in the realm of bending reality itself. Such a thing is simply unheard of, with the only things that might exceed an Apex' power being the gods and perhaps a few mythical creatures.

"It is reassuring to hear you are still in the habit of blazing trails," Remy answers with a smile.

"And I eagerly look forward to you going beyond perfection," Sybilla adds, Katarina being sure the princess is already trying to imagine what the Apex would be like if she got past this seemingly universal limit.

Everyone's thoughts are racing, but Meave looks like her mind is still blown, and also seems to enjoy that fact. "Can you folks even imagine what a, uh, Super Apex would be like? Now I'm imagining Katarina juggling stars!"

It is telling that no one in the room is really questioning whether going beyond the level of an Apex is even possible. No one knows, but if someone can find out, they feel Katarina may very well be the one to do it.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

But for now, its just a thought, a thought that I know you will treat as confidential...and even if there is nothing there a tome of this sort of power simply cannot be left lying around, the danger of an evil person gaining it is only outweighed by someone who doesnt know how to handle it to getting a hold of it.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Everyone nods when asked to keep the secret.

"The harvest festival is in two days, and knowing adventurers as well as this estate, I'll be inviting Quinn to arrive the day after. I'll be mentally preparing for managing part of an ancient dragon hoard in the meantime. I'll no doubt need dear Irmin and Carina's help with carrying all those bags of holding," Eve comments.

"Always at your service!" Irmin cheerfully replies, Carina nodding as well.

"If this adventurer says the truth and you find a dragon hoard... could I see it? I've only heard about such things in fairy tales and the records of adventurers," Carina asks, wondering what such a thing would even look like. It is one thing to hear about gold without end, and it is another to see.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If you would like to do something in the time until the harvest festival, let me know. We can also skip to the harvest festival. Or to meeting the adventurer and I'll recap what happened at the festival. I'm open to everything.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I do want to play it out just a bit

In that case ladies, I believe we need to do some shopping...nothing formal because its not a Royal Ball or something like that but at least new and suitable for a Harvest Festival. We dont have time for something made just for us, but there should be some off the rack stuff. Matching for you and I since we will be a couple speaking to Sybilla and something for your brand of mischief Maeve, as well as you Carina. Amelyn, you didnt say if you will be joining us or not?
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2019-05-06 at 08:40 PM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Sybilla practically glows at the mention of partnering with Katarina. Even if the maid of honor is a little fixated on the Apex, it is difficult not to feel a little flutter in her heart when Sybilla smiles to her. In times before the Apexes, wars would be fought over the privilege of marrying a princess like her.

"Oh, I'll be there. I have a feeling Kit would be disappointed if I stayed at home," Amelyn says.

"There probably isn't anything off the shelf in my size, but I think I have something nice for the festival. I would like to come shopping as well, though," Carina adds.

Meave's smile somehow manages to become even wider, and her "I have an idea or two" only adds to a semi-ominous feeling.

Remi and Irmin seem to be happy to let the women hash out their shopping trip. "When in doubt, I believe Carina will be most excellent at judging whether something is too much or too little," Irmin says with confidence, Remi seeming to consider it for a moment as he drinks and nodding his agreement after.

Eve meanwhile enjoys her morning brew.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Katarina gathers the woman around, and uses a Greater Teleport to move herself and them to a local shop, that of Rhoderic, the latest designer that the Apex favors (being the last one she bought the Sune shipment from). Good morning Rohderic, I know this is terribly short notice for you, but we need outfits for all of us, for the Harvest Festival, do you think you can help us?
    #GoreMutualarejerks

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

It is a slow morning in the small city of Highlands End (named after the huge cliffside the city was built atop of), the rain drizzling upon the streets and alleys, hooded people and those armed with an umbrella heading through the city with quick steps. In one of the cozier side streets, Autumn Lane, mostly traversed on foot but with enough space for the odd carriage, especially given the clientel that frequents this part of town, there is a modest shop front set into one of the two continuous rows of buildings facing each other. The Mithral Needle is written in elegant calligraphy upon the sign atop the front door, with warm-colored decorations visible in the door, its frame, and the windows. A wide marquee extends above the entrance today, keeping the front door's surroundings dry.

Katarina and her retinue appear with a quiet sound akin to that of a breeze. The people around them are surprised, naturally, but quickly recognize the Apex and her staff. Immediately, Katarina hears the awed whispering and excitement, and if she takes a look across Autumn Lane, she sees people looking her way, some staring, some even slack-jawed, some bowing or curtseying. Needless to say, there is hardly any place where the Apex can go without drawing the attention from everyone around her, and the presence of her staff only adds to that. It is known that Katarina has picked Rohderic as her current designer of choice, no doubt leading to a sharp uptick in popularity and business, but a repeat visit and in such a capacity will only further solidify that currently, The Mithral Needle is among the places to have the best of the best clothes made.

Entering the shop, with the light ringing of a bell (and Carina having to be careful about the top of the door frame), the interior is warmly-lit and tastefully decorated, also showing a few of Rohderic's creations, showing his trademark je ne sais quoi. There is a half-elven girl, Katarina knowing her as one of Rohderic's assistants, Talia, dressed with a sleek dark sweater and matching pants and shoes, with tools of her trade on the short color-matched, many-pocketed apron covering her abdomen. When she sees the Apex, her eyes go wide with surprise and wonder, quickly setting down the folded clothes she was carrying onto the counter before curtseying deeply.

"Greetings to you, exalted Apex Sintar, and to your esteemed retinue," the girl says, doing her best to keep her voice steady with all the awe and excitement she is experiencing right now. Katarina having settled on the outskirts of Highlands End was and still is seen as a major blessing for the city, as the Apexes are few and above the station of kings and queens. Hence why a simple "lord" or "lady" is deemed insufficient for them, unless the Apex tells them they prefer to be adressed this way. Adressing them as Apex acknowledges their might, influence, and status. "With your permission, I will go fetch Rohderic." Once receiving said permission, the girl hurries away into the backrooms.

Soon, the master tailor, flanked by the half-elven girl and a human one (also dressed as an assistant) enter the room. "Katarina! I could not be happier to have you as a guest in my humble shop again!" Rohderic bows, the two assistants curtseying. Rohderic is a wiry man, with very well-kept hair and matching beard, his face showing plenty of laugh lines. Katarina can almost imagine him and Irmin talking about their passion for their respective trades and asking the other about theirs.

Listening to Katarina's request, Rohderic answers "I'd be happy to! While making all new outfits for all of you will not be possible, I am certain we have several that, with just a few quick adjustments, would be a perfect fit. Nothing in dear Carina's size, but I am confident we can create one for her before the festival." Carina responds with a grateful smile. The tall woman has been a customer at Rohderic's for some time now, after the shop was recommended by Katarina when Carina was looking for a tailor to custom-make clothes for someone her size.

"So, tell me, do you have something in mind?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Sybilla and myself will have to have something matching as we are going to be attending as a couple. Maeve has indicated she already has something in mind, no doubt tailored to her appetite for mischief so I will let her speak for herself and Im sure Amelyn and Carina have ideas as well. And I would like them all to be in a theme, something nature or garden inspired, as we are going to celebrate the Harvest Festival. A tall order but I am sure you can pull something together.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

"Think gypsy dancer. Little top, short skirt. I'll be up to no good the entire festival," Meave brazenly says while Rohderic considers.

"Hmm, I never had one of those folksy dresses more courageous girls in the countryside wear at such festivals. Perhaps a little riskier version of that. But that is just an idea, I trust in your judgment," Amelyn suggests.

"I actually don't have much of a preference. But I particularly liked how the last dress you made for me feels, so perhaps something of similar make. Other than that, I leave it up to you," Carina says.

Rohderic considers for a moment, looking at each woman while stroking the moustache part of his beard. He exchanges some words with his assistants, apparently verifying a few things.

"So I have to admit that we are working with tight requirements, but here is my suggestion would be a nature spirit theme. Autumnal in colors, with strong reds, oranges, and yellows. Katarina and Sybilla form the centerpiece, with flowing, layered garments, akin to forest queens, refined without being prude. The way the dresses move while dancing together will be quite the sight. Amelyn represents a more youthful aspect, perhaps the joy of the harvest season. Shoulder-less, decorated with autumn leaves, and a wide, short skirt. Meave represents the untamed part of nature, with bright red colors, wrapped silk as the top, layered veils around the waist. And finally, the nurturing side of nature, as represented by Carina. A full-length dress in red and orange hues, but following her curves as to not hide her beauty. We will need to magically color a few pieces, which is unnoticable to most people, but I still mention it for those with a keen eye or your magical aptitude. Given the short time frame, we sadly cannot do this any other way. Carina's dress will need to be made from the ground-up and may be a little simpler in design, but I promise we will do her justice, and that I swear by my honor as a tailor. If this sounds to your liking, my assistants Talia and Merribeth will be taking your measurements one by one in the changing room."

The assistants retrieve the base dresses for everyone but Carina that will be adjusted for each woman, and the group seems pretty pleased with the choices, but Katarina's judgment is still pending.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Katarina studies the dresses on her retinue and then herself in the mirror. Rhoderic, as always, your skill is unmatched by any other...they are all perfect and flow together perfectly. You've got the theme down to a T.
    (Im assuming these would be priced as courtier's outfits, which is 30GP each, so...) She hands him over 250 gold, overpayment for the short time frame and to make sure she can always count on him if she finds herself in a time sensitive situation.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Rohderic thanks Katarina for the generous payment and her continued patronage. Her praise clearly means a lot to him, and his assistants seem humbled as well. The two assistant girls ask Katarina to join them in the changing room for measurements. This is not the first time she has been there, but Katarina still is one of the most attractive women in the entire world, so both the half-elven Talia and the human Merribeth can't help but blush and do their best not to be distracted from their work. As usual, they take more than the standard measurements, Rohderic wanting to get even small details just right. Of course, this makes it a bit harder on his assistants, who have to maintain their composure and keep their wishful thinking in check, though they can't help but praise her beauty.

After Katarina, the women of her estate are asked into the changing room one by one. First comes Sybilla, and when she exits the changing room, the assistants are blushing in much the way they did around Katarina, the princess reassuring them and thanking them for the compliments. Amelyn is next, all three leaving in good spirits, evidently having had a nice chat (and the assistants wink to the mage apprentice, alongside a blush). Then comes Meave, whose measuring apparently takes a bit longer, the assistants absoluely beet-red once Meave leaves with a grin. And lastly, both girls ask Carina to join them, also getting stools to stand upon. Naturally, due to her size and the size difference, and Carina needing an all new dress, the measuring takes a bit longer, and afterwards, it is clear the girls are by far the most comfortable around the tall woman, who embraces both of them, thanking them for their work.

"We will have the dresses ready tomorrow evening," Rohderic says. "I think you will be quite pleased with the results."

Through the shop windows and the gaps between the dividers put up behind the dresses in the windows, Katarina by now can spot a lot of people looking inside, trying to catch a glimpse of the Apex and her staff.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Time to make a bit of an appearance and a bit of a speech. Katarina steps outside to address the masses.
    Good people of Highland's End, I bid you a good morning, and once again recommend Rhoderic and The Mithral Needle as the top shop for clothing. I would also like to take the chance to invite you all to the Harvest Festival, a chance for all of us to honor the valuable work of our farmers, without whom we would all starve. The Estate of Sintar supports this Festival wholeheartedly and I hope to see as many of you there as I can.

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20+40)[59]
    #GoreMutualarejerks

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Katarina sees a few dozen people outside the shop. The advertisements would have been dismissed if they had come from some minor celebrity, but between Katarina being an Apex (and the one residing in this city, to boot), as well as her raw beauty and charisma, the crowd hangs onto every word, just as Katarina commands the attention of everyone around her. The Apex wanting to see and potentially interact with as many of the people she sees here at the festival as she can leaves a great many people starstruck, enthusiastically vowing to attend, and a few women seeking to enter The Mithral Needle in order to acquire a dress. Katarina can practically see the words being spread immediately.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

She only came into town to get dresses, but being able to drum up twice the interest that there would have been before the Festival makes it a win/win for Katarina. She only hopes that Kit will have enough capacity to handle the uptick in interest, but she is sure they will. With the dress issue taken care of, she gathers her group together to take their leave unless something else requires their attention.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

As always, there are a great many people vying for Katarina's attention, ranging from showering her with admiration, wanting to just talk to her, flirtation, seeking to ingratiate themselves, making requests such as if she could heal someone or speak to some group or what she thinks about the politics of Highlands End and if she seeks to exert more influence on them or if she would like to sponsor something or cooperate with someone etc etc. Few Apexes are as "accessible" as Katarina, and their effect on normal people can't be understated.

If Katarina decides to ignore the masses or tell them to direct their requests to Eve, the Apex and her staff return to estate without a hitch. Everyone is looking forward to the festival, especially Sybilla, whose happiness only makes her more beautiful. The staff excuse themselves after thanking Katarina for the dresses and the teleportation, returning to their work.

Meave seems to notice something. "Oh. Caught one again. I'll go deal with that, mistress. Call me if you need me," she says before simply disappearing in thin air when Katarina blinks once. The maidservant is refering to the capture circles. The estate naturally is warded against unwanted teleportation and plane shifting, but if someone manages to find a way around that, there is another hidden layer of defenses, redirecting any teleportation into a magic circle that contains the teleporter and keeps them from moving out of it or using their powers. Of course, the general teleportation wards can also be set-up to allow some kinds of teleporters through, but immediately direct them into the capture circles. Meave is aware of the estate's security and who attempts to circumvent it. She noticed that more and more female demons and devils were attempting to get into the estate, and Meave suggested to capture incoming female fiends to question them and see if there is a root cause, with Sybilla also being rather adept at making the fiends talk. Eve also reports that demonesses and female devils from time to time try to seduce her or get her to let them through to Katarina. The estate's members are warded with protection from evil as well death ward, which makes these potential threats a lot less serious. The fiendish attempts are almost a running joke at this point.

It has been a while since the last report on the teleportation situation, as the maids didn't want to annoy Katarina with constant notifications that individually do not amount to much. They would be happy to report their findings thus far, if requested, however.

There is also something similar going on when it comes to physical attempts to enter the estate, thanks to the twin dryads, who are rather adept at snatching trespassers with vines springing up from the garden, trapping them in place, plucking them out of the air, or their widespread roots entangling them underground. The dryads also seem to enact some disciplinary measures in those cases, though nothing that does real harm to the trespasser. If Katarina would like to review what should be done with trespassers, Remi and Meave aren't far.

Other than that, there is plenty Katarina could do. Amelyn is always eager to continue and deepen her training, she can discuss matters of and plans for the estate with Sybilla (or have herself get pampered by the maid of honor), she can discuss business, public relations, and plans regarding that with Eve, she can see what Irmin might be planning for the estate's meals in the coming days or weeks and perhaps make requests, she can check what Carina is working on with her alchemy (or rest in the tall woman's arms for a peaceful hour or two), or visit Remi and see how the dryads are faring and how the garden is coming along.

The rain has lessened, but is still going this morning. It is a relatively slow day, so Katarina has plenty of time.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2019-05-12 at 12:42 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Katarina likes to be accessible to the masses, to her, power isnt worth anything if you cant do something with it...and holing up in your tower trying to create the next owlbear by mixing a penguin and a buffalo or trying to summon Bubulax, a two thousand years dead demon doesnt count as doing something. So, she is willing to mingle with people, shaking hands, exchanging blessings and a kind word for everyone she meets. If someone is right there and needs a small healing, she will do that. She refuses to get involved in anything political, only repeating that the mayor (or lord, or whatever) is doing a good job and if ever she finds him doing something that she objects to, she will handle it privately. (and its not said as a threat, either) Any requests for sponsorship or co-operation are referred to Eve, right now, this is just an expression of good will. There are limits of course, and after about two hours or so, she will beg her leave and depart with her entourage.
    Just before Maeve departs, Katarina does request that the next time a succubus is caught, she would like to deal with her, personally. The teleport circles seem to be working each and every time, but if there has been a significant uptick in activity, she wants to see if there is an underlying cause. She doesnt want to have Highlands End become the victims of a demonic incursion just because she happened to choose it as her place to live. Other Apexs might not view their neighbourhood as something that they should be concerned with protecting, Katarina would take any sort of damage personally.
    She does lay a hand on Sybilla before the maid can go about her other duties Can you come with me and choose the bedroom we are going to put Quinn up in if he needs to stay over and get it ready for him? Its a little unusual for Katarina to make a choice to assist in housework.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    Katarina likes to be accessible to the masses, to her, power isnt worth anything if you cant do something with it...and holing up in your tower trying to create the next owlbear by mixing a penguin and a buffalo or trying to summon Bubulax, a two thousand years dead demon doesnt count as doing something. So, she is willing to mingle with people, shaking hands, exchanging blessings and a kind word for everyone she meets. If someone is right there and needs a small healing, she will do that. She refuses to get involved in anything political, only repeating that the mayor (or lord, or whatever) is doing a good job and if ever she finds him doing something that she objects to, she will handle it privately. (and its not said as a threat, either) Any requests for sponsorship or co-operation are referred to Eve, right now, this is just an expression of good will. There are limits of course, and after about two hours or so, she will beg her leave and depart with her entourage.
    Just before Maeve departs, Katarina does request that the next time a succubus is caught, she would like to deal with her, personally. The teleport circles seem to be working each and every time, but if there has been a significant uptick in activity, she wants to see if there is an underlying cause. She doesnt want to have Highlands End become the victims of a demonic incursion just because she happened to choose it as her place to live. Other Apexs might not view their neighbourhood as something that they should be concerned with protecting, Katarina would take any sort of damage personally.
    She does lay a hand on Sybilla before the maid can go about her other duties Can you come with me and choose the bedroom we are going to put Quinn up in if he needs to stay over and get it ready for him? Its a little unusual for Katarina to make a choice to assist in housework.
    "I can keep her in the capture circle for you to question, mistress. We've gotten pretty good at showing them there might be a different path in life," Meave gives a mischievous smirk, but something a little proud also shines through. She listens to Katarina's answer before she does a quick curtsey and disappears.

Sybilla gives a small, proper bow, picking up on the unusual behavior, but going along with it. "Of course." Sybilla retrieves what is needed to prepare the room and leads Katarina to a second floor guest room. With practised ease, the maid of honor begins to prepare the bed, not even needing to pose on purpose, the sights affecting even the Apex.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

I could spend an entire day, no, an entire week with you and it would not grow old in the least...but the world continues to move on and we have duties. Including those pesky demonic incursions. Can you come with me, you have an ability to make almost everyone, or in this case, everything talk. I would know what has gotten the demons interest in this place.

Truth be told, Katarina is truly mystified in the demonic interest. Devils would be either erinyes or brachina and she would have no interest in them, if it turns out to be one of those, she will just banish it with a particularly nasty spell, but a demon, specifically succubus or marilith would be something to investigate.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Sybilla glows with joy as she hears Katarina's first words. Perhaps, to her, it is another step towards her dream coming true.

They head down into the vast basement, entering the section Meave had requested for security purposes. They pass both the physical and magical barriers put in place with the Apex' might. The maidservant could hardly be described as a magical genius, lacking the casting, but she is a walking security nightmare, knows very well how to manipulate existing magic, and has a most devious mind when she wants to. Katarina, of course, would not have much trouble escaping her own facilities, but the baffling creativity Meave put into the design so most casters will simply be their own worst enemies is quite something.

Entering the capture area, Katarina and Sybilla see the familiar magic circles, etched into adamantine and permanent force. Even if a magical null field should appear, the room and its circles were built with geomantic principles, making it hardly effortless for the prisoner to escape. The geomancy was a nifty challenge, Amelyn and Remi having worked together to devise something that fits what Meave had in mind. The circles have dividers between them to isolate the circles from each other, making use of physical and magical means to prevent prisoners from communicating with each other or divining outside of their circles. There is a lot of surveillance in this basement hall. Katarina can see that only one circle is occupied right now. On one wall is a workbench of sorts, next to a door to a chamber that Meave refers to as her toy box. The maidservant has assured Katarina that her toys (none of which are meant for torture, of course) are ultimately harmless, though the Apex is uncertain just how many things are in there, and what purposes all of them are meant to fulfill, Meave ever creating new ones or reworking old ones, at times requesting the aid of her fellow staffers, or someone in Highlands End.

Speaking of which, Meave emerges from the rectangular area surrounding the occupied capture circle. They can see through the fabric of the multiple layers of curtains that mark the edge of the area, but one can't look from the inside out.

"Ah, welcome, mistress. I see you even brought the heavy artillery," Meave happily quips, depositing a toy in a bucket near her workbench. She then gets a good look at the two, especially Sybilla... and the biggest Cheshire grin spreads on her face. "Mistress, if you make our princess any more beautiful, I'm afraid nymphs will be going blind in envy."

Sybilla, said heavy artillery that allows herself a little smile, says "Thank you, Meave," both to acknowledge the very Meave-y compliment, as well as to focus the maidservant back on-topic. "What are we working with here? Have you found anything out yet?"

Meave cleans her hands and towels them dry. "Oh, we have another succubus. A bit above the everyday fare, but not staggeringly so. Xethira is her name. Not much beyond that yet, as she kept it together pretty well and I wanted to take things slow and try some new things, soften her up a bit." The red-headed maidservant looks back and forth between Katarina and Sybilla, before ending on Katarina. "I think you haven't watched us work much recently, mistress. Would you like a demonstration of us making her sing? Honestly, I'd love to see what Sybilla could do right now."

Sybilla looks to the Apex with a smile. "If you would like me to, feel free to give me your inquiries and commands, or communicate them to me during the interrogation telepathically, and I will fulfill them to the best of my abilities."

Looking into the occupied containment area, Katarina sees a beautiful winged woman lying in the cushioned circle, wearing little more than a higher-class loincloth and a bit of jewelry at the moment, with her black hair covering her torso just enough. This succubus named Xethira seems entirely unaware of what is going on outside of the curtains, seemingly relaxing and luxuriating in a way one does when they think they are not being observed.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Katarina studies the succubus for a moment. In her career, because of her Incantatrix nature and her Favored Soul powers, she had been called on numerous times to banish both demons and devils, including on two separate occasions the mightiest of all non-lord status, the pit fiend and the balor. But in that time, she had never banished, or even dealt with, a succubus. Of course she had researched succubi, and knew what their tricks were, charms and duplicity, but no personal experience. It seemed like such a waste as well, they were clearly beautiful enough that they could add much to power of love but they wielded lust as a weapon, one that was more than ruinous, it was literally deadly. Katarina had never loved anyone to death (although she had given old man Winkler a heart attack that required her spells to revive him) Their kisses could induce bliss (Katarina had restored one person who had gotten carried away) but that path lead to oblivion as well.

Are her powers suppressed when she is in one of those circles? Obviously, they were at least partially as she couldnt just teleport out, but if she had the power of trues seeing, what Katarina wanted to would not work. If they are, I will cover myself with invisibility and then I can whisper any questions to you that come to me. First of all however, I want you to question her as to why we have had so many demonic attempts, especially when it must be getting clear to them that they dont work.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

"Her magical abilities are limited to the inside of the circle, and they do not have the ability to see through invisibility, unless they have trained themselves as magicians," Sybilla explains.

Meave then adds "Whispering won't work when you are this close though." She taps her ear with a smile. "They have very good hearing. I can get some telepathic bond tags if you want?"