New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: GLoG 92: Generosity, Love, Opportunity, Growth

Hawthorn Cabin

"I guess." Sekhmet isn't sure how much practice that will take. This is her best illusion, and it's significantly more difficult now than it used to be, since her body diverges even more from the humanoid norm.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #842
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Hawthorn Cabin]

"Trust me. When I started out it was all I could do to make anything visible at all, but now-"
    Spike resumes her angelic countenance, quick as a flash.

"Oh, you might want to try an easier default disguise for now. Maybe something like this?"
    Spike slowly adds a fluffy tail and animal ears to her disguise, analogues for Sekhmet's stinger and horns. It would mean less worrying about shape while still being pretty innocuous.
    "But right now, let me show you how to pick things up with such long nails. There's a bit of a trick to it."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

3. - Top - End - #843
    Troll in the Playground

Hawthorn Cabin

Sekhmet recreates her disguise, adding angelic wings to cover her fiendish ones, as well as the animalistic features Spike suggested. Her face retains a distinct elven aspect however. She grins at Spike's offer. "That'd be great!" Her claws have given her so much trouble since she transformed. She still hasn't cleaned up after all the damage she accidentally did to the cabin.

My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #844

Default [Hawthorn Cabin]

"Good, you look perfect."

Spike dispels her own disguise again so that her lower arms, with their own claws (if perhaps not as sharp as Sekhmet's) are clearly visible.
    "Your used to pinching things between your fingers, making a loop with thumb and finger, like this." She taps her claws and fingertips together. Don't imitate; you might cut yourself.
    "Instead, you want to use not the fingertips, but the pads. Sort of flex your fingers back-" This demonstration, you can copy. "Making a shape like a vase, and then bring your fingers closer together. Then for small things like between the pages of a book, you use the back of your claws." She opens, closes, and flips through the demonology book to demonstrate.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2019-10-12 at 11:31 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #845
    Troll in the Playground

Hawthorn Cabin

Sekhmet dispels her own illusion so she can see her hands better. She reaches for the book, gingerly grasping it the way she was instructed and cradling it gently in the palms of her hands. Her claws press into the leather cover, leaving little indentations where they touched. This is about as far as she's safely managed to get before. She carefully hooks a claw (the pointer finger of her left hand, if you're keeping track) on the cover, and pulls the book open. Ever so delicately, she reaches down and tries to use the back of her claw to turn the page, but the paper slides off and falls back into place. She tries again, with the same result. Frustrated, she sets the book down.

My Nexus characters

6. - Top - End - #846
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Daycare Dark Room]

Sasha's eyes narrow ever so slightly as Karasu disparages her Master. Who said such things about him? Karasu is clearly listening to Master's enemies. Not everyone understands his great works and wish to discredit him. Or so he keeps saying.
    She really wishes she knew what discredit means.

How does one begin to describe the Shadow Realm? Or perhaps the better question is how does Karasu keep making the shadows move like that? She seems pretty insistent Sasha should do the same, but she's never done anything remotely like that before. Her tendrils are useful at grabbing things she guesses, but that's a level of precision she's never seen and certainly has no idea how to replicate. She guesses she can still try to imitate the Shadow Realm. Though honestly if Karasu wanted to see it, Sasha could have just taken her there.

A tendril of shadow emerges and stretches out, larger and flatter than any other tendril Sasha's ever needed until it almost resembles a black poster board. It's pretty dark and featureless.
    [Daycare Dark Room]

Karasu notes how Sasha uses her shadow powers, making tendrils and shaping those to do what she bids. "Ah, so you usually use your powers to grab stuff or hold people down? There must be stuff to show, else you wouldn't have tried. Want me to teach you how to make the shadows move like me? It'll take a while, I'll have to see what you're capable of with training. I don't control actual shadow so much as overall lack of light. Can make my own, too. Grants me some void-like powers too. What could we learn from each other?" She thinks, fingering her simple earrings. "And I guess you can't - or won't - talk. I can handle that, not usually talkative anyway. Seems I have to talk for us both, which is a bit of a drag. I've noticed you react to mention of your father, though. If there were some way... ah!" She stops and raises up a hand, but doesn't speak immediately since she's already tired of talking so much. "Your dad's a scientist, right? So whether or not he let you speak, he'd have had some way to hear your thoughts."

Then she waits for Sasha's reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Daycare]

Annie takes a while to finish up her colouring. When she's done she goes and puts it on a table off to the side before Asher asks his question. "Um, you have buckets? And shovels?" You have to have the right tools for sandcastle construction.
    [Daycare]

Asher puts away his drawing, finished before her but waiting patiently, and hears her reply. In response, he grins and nods. "I can make those with rock!" He declares proudly, glad to announce his ability to create light and usable materials. Hopefully Annie doesn't expect them to be pretty and intricate, though! "Let's go, Annie, to the shore!"
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

7. - Top - End - #847

Default [Hawthorn Cabin]

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Sekhmet dispels her own illusion so she can see her hands better. She reaches for the book, gingerly grasping it the way she was instructed and cradling it gently in the palms of her hands. Her claws press into the leather cover, leaving little indentations where they touched. This is about as far as she's safely managed to get before. She carefully hooks a claw (the pointer finger of her left hand, if you're keeping track) on the cover, and pulls the book open. Ever so delicately, she reaches down and tries to use the back of her claw to turn the page, but the paper slides off and falls back into place. She tries again, with the same result. Frustrated, she sets the book down.
    "You almost got it." Spike says. "It will take time to get used to. Here, try with this, instead of your book there."
    She offers a notepad, just like the one in Trog's had. The different weight of the paper and the ragged edges should hopefully make it easier for her claws to get ahold of.
    Most all of their strain carry paper to write with, in case something happens to their voice.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2019-10-14 at 10:42 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #848
    Troll in the Playground

Hawthorn Cabin

Sekhmet takes the notepad, and attempts the same process as on the book. She manages to turn the first page, barely. Her face lights up into a grin, then tries again on the next page. This time, she's not so successful, moving too quickly and tearing the page.

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #849

Default [Hawthorn Cabin]

"You've got it!"
    Spike exclaims after the first page is turned.
    "Well, almost. Don't rush."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #850
    Troll in the Playground

Hawthorn Cabin

Sekhmet tries once more, slowly, cautiously turning the page again. She does a couple more times after that. It's a slow process, but at least it works. "I, uh, guess I need to take it slowly."

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #851
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meltdowner View Post
    [Daycare]

Asher puts away his drawing, finished before her but waiting patiently, and hears her reply. In response, he grins and nods. "I can make those with rock!" He declares proudly, glad to announce his ability to create light and usable materials. Hopefully Annie doesn't expect them to be pretty and intricate, though! "Let's go, Annie, to the shore!"
    [Daycare]

Annie furrows her brow and climbs out of her seat to follow him out. "What do you mean rock?"

The daycare is a short ways away from the water, but there's a nice stretch of sandy beach right there. There's starting to be a bit of a chill in the air, but it's still fine weather for playing outdoors. It might get uncomfortable if they get wet, though.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meltdowner View Post
    [Daycare Dark Room]

Karasu notes how Sasha uses her shadow powers, making tendrils and shaping those to do what she bids. "Ah, so you usually use your powers to grab stuff or hold people down? There must be stuff to show, else you wouldn't have tried. Want me to teach you how to make the shadows move like me? It'll take a while, I'll have to see what you're capable of with training. I don't control actual shadow so much as overall lack of light. Can make my own, too. Grants me some void-like powers too. What could we learn from each other?" She thinks, fingering her simple earrings. "And I guess you can't - or won't - talk. I can handle that, not usually talkative anyway. Seems I have to talk for us both, which is a bit of a drag. I've noticed you react to mention of your father, though. If there were some way... ah!" She stops and raises up a hand, but doesn't speak immediately since she's already tired of talking so much. "Your dad's a scientist, right? So whether or not he let you speak, he'd have had some way to hear your thoughts."

Then she waits for Sasha's reaction.
    [Daycare Dark Room]

Sasha tilts her head a little. Karasu seemed very talkative to Sasha, despite her claims otherwise. She asked like half a dozen questions and just kept going. Sometimes adults would do that. Ask questions they didn't want answers to.

So it takes Sasha a moment to realize Karasu is waiting for a reply when she finishes. But to which part? The scientist thing was a question, but she concluded with a statement that was kind of like a question? Ah well, at least the answer was easy regardless. Sasha shakes her head. Dad wasn't a scientist, he was Master. And definitely couldn't hear her thoughts. She was quite certain about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

13. - Top - End - #853

Default [Hawthorn Cabin]

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Sekhmet tries once more, slowly, cautiously turning the page again. She does a couple more times after that. It's a slow process, but at least it works. "I, uh, guess I need to take it slowly."
    "That's right. You've been thrust into this all at once. So just keep practicing, and it'll come to you."
    Spike restored her standard angelic disguise over herself and the dog.
    "Keep practicing. We'll check in again soon."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #854
    Troll in the Playground

Hawthorn Cabin

"Oh, uh, alright." Sekhmet responds. "Goodbye?" She continues to work on turning pages, not sure how to feel about a second visit.

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #855

Default [Hawthorn Cabin]

"If you need anything, just reach out to us."
    Spike leaves, easy as that.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #856
    Troll in the Playground

Hawthorn Cabin

Spike leaves, and Sekhmet turns back to the notebook, idly practicing turning pages back and forth. She is quite tired; the magic practice took a lot out of her. Still, she doesn't even think about napping. She has been able to sleep a little more now, almost a week after the incident, but she can't shake the nightmares, so she sits awake, flipping back and forth through the blank notebook as best she can, and waiting.

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #857
    Titan in the Playground

[Hawthorn Cabin]

There will be a knock on the door before long, which Sekhmet might be thankful for just because it distracts her from sleepiness.

"Sekhmet? It's me, Sophie."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Troll in the Playground

Post Re: GLoG 92: Generosity, Love, Opportunity, Growth

Hawthorn Cabin

"Coming!" Sekhmet shouts, putting down the notepad and rushing to the door. She opens it for Sophie. "Please come in." The cabin is a lot cleaner than the last time Sophie's been here on camera, with the books replaced on their shelves and the shredded cushions from the couch are stacked in a corner to be repaired. Sekhmet's silver necklace is still lying on the floor, glowing faintly. "How, uh, can I help you?" Sekhmet asks.

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #859
    Titan in the Playground

[Hawthorn Cabin]

"I came to tell you I have something that should help me help you with your dreams..." Sophie begins to say, then takes an approving look around the room. "...but I also see you're doing a little better on your own."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Troll in the Playground

Hawthorn Cabin

"I guess?" Sekhmet doesn't feel much better. She doesn't think she's back to her old self at all. She's still a monster; she was just tired of living in squalor. "Something for my dreams? What is it?"

My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #861
    Titan in the Playground

[Hawthorn Cabin]

Sophie nods.

"Yes. I spoke to my wife, who has come up with a way for us to link our minds together. It's a pair of mirrors that let the users see into each other's minds. If I take it a step further, I should be able to see what's troubling you in your dreams and see how to help."

22. - Top - End - #862
    Troll in the Playground

Hawthorn Cabin

"Uh... Alright." There's some hesitation in Sekhmet's voice. Mirrors make her uncomfortable. She still can't stand the sight of her own reflection. She seats herself on a recliner, keeping her tail out of the way, while still sitting as straight as she can. "How would it work?"

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #863
    Titan in the Playground

[Hawthorn Cabin]

""We will look into the mirrors, which will give us a glimpse into each other's minds. My wife has taught me how to make them connect them next," Sophie explains. "Then, once you go to sleep, I'll hopefully be able to appear there as well and see what I can do."

24. - Top - End - #864
    Troll in the Playground

Hawthorn Cabin

Sekhmet nods. "That, uh, sounds good. When can we start?" She wants to get rid of her nightmares as soon as possible, which easily overrules her hesitations about letting more people into her mind and about the mirrors.

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #865
    Titan in the Playground

[Hawthorn Cabin]

"Whenever you're ready," Sophie says. "Falling asleep shouldn't be a problem by now, since you've been avoiding it."

26. - Top - End - #866
    Troll in the Playground

Hawthorn Cabin

"I suppose." Sekhmet responds. She is tired, but sleeping isn't exactly something she can do on command. She leans the recliner back. "I guess I'll, uh, try now?"

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #867
    Titan in the Playground

[Hawthorn Cabin]

Sophie nods.

"I know falling asleep isn't as easy as it sounds, but let's try. I'll hold the mirror up to you when I see you drift off."

28. - Top - End - #868
    Troll in the Playground

Hawthorn Cabin

Sekhmet nods. "Good night." A few minutes later, her eyelids begin to droop, and she starts to drift off into sleep.

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post

[Ironoak Cabin]

"Really." Reelshka quirks an eyebrow and an ear and smiles as she walks up to the bed and sits down with her family. "We knew we'd have to explain it someday, but he seems to have figured it out quickly."

"Yeah! I'm smart, right?" Tuskfang grins toothily. "But, um, your mom and dad are just goblins?"

Reelshka ruffles Tuskfang's hair.

"Yes, just regular goblins, like so many others. That should help you keep your feet on the ground. We goblins aren't a spiritual folk. Maybe it comes with living under tons of rock all the time."
    Ironoak Cabin

"Yes, you are. And yes, her parents are normal goblins too. But! Your mother is very special too."
    Pathfinder points out before reaching around to drag her up against him. "She puts up with me. And not everyone will do that." He teases as he sets his head on her shoulder.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Titan in the Playground

[Hawthorn Cabin]

Sophie holds one mirror in front of Sekhmet's face while staring into the other. If everything works right, she'll feel her mind linked to the young tiefling's.