New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default 4E Altering a Magic Item: Shroud of Ravens

I'm looking (well) ahead at a player's wishlist for her Warlock of the Raven Queen, and the Shroud of Ravens is a wonderfully flavorful item that, unfortunately, lacks a certain oomph.

Shroud of Ravens Level 13+ Uncommon
    Pulling this cloak's black hood over your head transforms you into a murder of ravens.

Lvl 13 +3 17,000 gp Lvl 23 +5 425,000 gp
    Lvl 18 +4 85,000 gp Lvl 28 +6 2,125,000 gp

Neck Slot

Enhancement Bonus: Fortitude, Reflex, and Will

Power (Polymorph) Daily (Immediate Reaction)
    Trigger: You take damage from an attack.

Effect: You transform into a cloud of screaming ravens until the start of your next turn. While transformed, you become insubstantial and gain a fly speed equal to your speed. In addition, you shift a number of squares equal to the shroud's enhancement bonus.

She loves the fluff, obviously. And the trigger, insubstantial, and shift are useful. But what the heck good is gaining a fly speed that lasts only until the start of your next turn when this is triggered by an IR (i.e., it ends before you have an action to utilize this fly speed)?!? Yes, I realize one can use the fly speed for the shift, but this still seems less than useful

Anyone have any ideas of a relatively balanced replacement for the fly speed that fits the flavor of the item well? Thanks!
    Through a series of unfortunate events, my handle on the WotC boards was darkwarlock.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 4E Altering a Magic Item: Shroud of Ravens

The obvious change would be to make it an interrupt. The problem with this item is that its three parts don't mesh well (if the move-away part works, you don't need the insubstantial; and it doesn't protect you from an attack of your choice, but from the next one). Interrupt is much better, and frankly there are level-2 utility powers that do something like that, so it's not overpowered for a level-13 item.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The obvious change would be to make it an interrupt. The problem with this item is that its three parts don't mesh well (if the move-away part works, you don't need the insubstantial; and it doesn't protect you from an attack of your choice, but from the next one). Interrupt is much better, and frankly there are level-2 utility powers that do something like that, so it's not overpowered for a level-13 item.
    Thanks for the input, KG! Clearly, I agree with the parts not meshing well. And while I think your fix to make this an II rather than an IR improves the item's utility significantly, it still doesn't fix the disparity between the components. I.e., the shift and the insubstantial benefit are somewhat redundant, as you note, and the fly speed remains practically useless, especially in the lower paragon-tier iterations, where a 3 or 4 fly speed doesn't give you many options for better positioning.
    Through a series of unfortunate events, my handle on the WotC boards was darkwarlock.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Well, lots of polymorph powers don't let you attack. You could have the item grant its bonuses and prevent attacks until EONT or until you choose to end the effect with a free action.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Making it a minor action might work. No longer reactive to damage, just something she can use to gain a fly speed an/or reduce incoming damage for a turn. It is a lot of mobility in that form, but being daily pretty much removes any chance of it being OP. Having it also render her unable to attack would be fair I think.
    Last edited by Excession; 2019-01-23 at 07:44 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Well, lots of polymorph powers don't let you attack. You could have the item grant its bonuses and prevent attacks until EONT or until you choose to end the effect with a free action.
    I like this! Would it be too much to change it to an Immediate Interrupt and have it grant the Fly speed until EoNT (end on free action) and keep everything else the same, i.e, insubstantial, shift equal to enhancement bonus as part of II?

That would allow the Fly speed to be useful (though still not attacking while in raven form). Could be a good respite from combat (mobility and defenses and an opportunity to use Second Wind without any real threat) or save yourself from an attack and reposition power. But would that be overpowered as a Daily item power at this level?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Not overpowered at all. It's a good tradeoff, gaining a lot in mobility and protection but losing just as much in offense.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks for the help, all!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Power (Polymorph) Daily (Immediate Interrupt)
    Trigger
    : You take damage from an attack.

Effect: You transform into a cloud of screaming ravens until the end of your next turn, or until you make an attack. While transformed, you become insubstantial and gain a fly speed equal to your speed. After taking the damage, you shift a number of squares equal to the shroud's enhancement bonus.
    I think that should be concise and fun.

You take half damage from the attack (as you are insubstantial) unless it is a close or area attack. You cannot use the shift to avoid the attack (as I added an "after" to that sub clause).

You get to use the fly speed and insubstantial on your next turn.

You can make an attack while in the form, but doing so ends the transformation. Which has a beautiful visual effect of the cloud of ravens flying across the room then reforming into someone stabbing their target.
    Last edited by Yakk; 2019-01-24 at 10:17 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

This looks excellent. But I don't understand your comment here:

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    You take half damage from the attack (as you are insubstantial) unless it is a close or area attack.
    Why would a close or area attack circumvent the benefit of insubstantial?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darkbard View Post
    Why would a close or area attack circumvent the benefit of insubstantial?
    My guess is that he's conflating swarm resistance (reduced damage from melee and range attacks and vulnerability to close and area attacks) with insubstantial (half damage from all sources) due to the item's fluff. Insubstantial is definitely the easiest word to describe it, but the swarm transformation definitely would deserve more of a swarm resistance mechanic than straight insubstantial. Which you opt into largely depends upon how verbose you're willing to let the wording get (replace "insubstantial" with "you take half damage from melee and ranged attacks").
    4e Homebrew: Shadow Knight, Scout
    roll20: Kitru

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePurple View Post
    My guess is that he's conflating swarm resistance (reduced damage from melee and range attacks and vulnerability to close and area attacks) with insubstantial (half damage from all sources) due to the item's fluff.
    Sure, that makes sense! Easy conflation, actually...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, that was my confusion; my brain read "half damage and you are a swarm".

That, and concealment vs insubstatial.