New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

confused What Happens to all the vampire spawn?

Durkula turned all the Creed of Stone into Vampire Spawn, and then was killed.

When Durkon was turned into a Vampire, he was under the control of Malack. But when he was freed, he answered to Hel. Because he was a dwarf.

Why would the newly appointed High Priest of Hel still be a priest of Hel after Durkula was killed? Would they even be under the perview of the Northern Patheon?

It seems odd that any of the Vamps would still be working for Hel, except the Dwarven ones.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: What Happens to all the vampire spawn?

Hel is the death goddess of the entire Northern pantheon--not just of the dwarves. If Roy was turned into a vampire, the dark spirit that animated him would be born in Hel's hall as well, because he's a Northerner.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Even without that, a god of death would be a pretty easy choice for an undead cleric to worship, and with only three pantheons it's not like there's a vast field to pick from. One of them in particular has virtually no clerics, so there's much more opportunity as far as the church hierarchy goes.Leaving aside the whole non-theistic cleric thing.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wysper View Post
    It seems odd that any of the Vamps would still be working for Hel, except the Dwarven ones.
    All the surviving vampires are dwarves. Also I don't think the spellcasting vampires were under thrall during Durkon*'s undeath.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

It is interesting to note that, when alive, the official High Priestess of Hel had skin and hair colour indicating she was of Southern descent, though I suppose if she was born in Northern Lands then she falls under Hel's purview.
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2019-03-18 at 04:22 PM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I think you mean the de jure high priestess. The de facto high priest after the moot was Durkon* and then Gontor*.
    Forum Wisdom

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

You're right.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    All the surviving vampires are dwarves. Also I don't think the spellcasting vampires were under thrall during Durkon*'s undeath.

Not the High Priest that was left behind at the Godsmoot. She was definitely Human (prior to death). That's the one I'm REALLY curious about.

In fact, ALL the of the Vampires seemed very aware of what was going on. But it seems like they'd have to be spawn. Whereas Durkon was confused and mostly just wanted to drink blood when he was first Spawned.

Food for Thought.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Not the High Priest that was left behind at the Godsmoot. She was definitely Human (prior to death). That's the one I'm REALLY curious about.
    Oh right her. Yes I suppose she could quit and abandon the protection her position enjoys from the two dozens of high-level Clerics around her, at least one of whom is willing to kill vampires for being vampires. Not betting on that though.

In fact, ALL the of the Vampires seemed very aware of what was going on. But it seems like they'd have to be spawn. Whereas Durkon was confused and mostly just wanted to drink blood when he was first Spawned.
    YOu are confused by unehelpful vampire terminology. "Spawn" and "thralls" both have two meanings.

A vampire sired by another vampire is called that vampire's spawn but, much in the same way that my grandparents- children aren't children, that does not make them vampire spawns.

Vampire spwns are a lesser type of vampire with less powerful abilities several (if not most) of the second horde of vampires were spawns.

A thrall is individual under vampire mental control either because of theDominate power or because it's a newborn vampire.

When a vampire creates another one that second vampire stays a thrall of the first one until said vampire frees them or die.

WhenDurkon* spawned he was Malack's spawn and thrall but he was not a vampire spawn. When Malack died Durkon* stopped being his thrall (though he can still be considered his spawn). So we can conclude that being a vampire thrall has debilitataing effects. since none of the "officers" under Durkon* (the spellcaster) showed the same kind of infantile behaviour, it seems like he freed them immediately after spwaning and that they all freely chose to serve Hel. Which is why the plan carries on without Durkon*, they were already choosing to carry it out.
    Forum Wisdom

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a chance the HPoH could be a rebellious spawn, especially considering she didn't seem to be selected with loyalty in mind.

But considering that Hel's grace is the only (IIRC the rules) thing keeping her alive in a room full of clerics, its best to just go along with her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

At the moment, all the new vampires are freshly made (so the spirits haven't had much time to absorb memories and personality from the hosts), they were all originally clerics (so the personalities that they're dark reflections of were all religious people), and they're all set on their first mission so sheer inertia is likely to keep them from straying too far off the path. Right now they're mostly just minions.

What would they turn into if they're not killed in the upcoming fight and they have time for their own personalities to show through? First you'll have to tell me about the personalities they had before they were vamped. The official high priest of Hel will likely be able to survive at least the godsmoot and the immediate aftermath. Whether she'll be able to establish herself somewhere or if she just winds up as the boss monster for some mid-level adventurers in a bit is something we're not likely to see.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    There's a chance the HPoH could be a rebellious spawn, especially considering she didn't seem to be selected with loyalty in mind.

But considering that Hel's grace is the only (IIRC the rules) thing keeping her alive in a room full of clerics, its best to just go along with her.
    That is a good point. She probably has no idea WHAT is going on, so she is just sitting tight.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Standard helpful list of references in my sig re: why the vampires would still follow Hel.

Peelee’s Lotsey

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I would think it would be an interesting twist at least if the godsmoot vote got invalidated because the stand-in HPoH got a southern spirit, and the southern gods voted no, so she left when she was no longer a thrall. I guess a lot of people will probably say it would undermine the upcoming battle. To be fair though, Durkon's battle was probably more of the climax and it would still be a result of that battle that the world was saved. The physical appearance of the HPoH would have been really cool foreshadowing too. I doubt it will happen though.
    Last edited by Zenzis; 2019-03-22 at 02:19 AM.