New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1154 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Soon's gate was in the air above Azure City (no, it wasn't actually physically within the sapphire). Likewise, Girard's gate was inside a big lead pillar with no access points. Physical access may not actually be necessary.
    I literally mentioned Girard's Gate in my post. And considering the Azure City tower was built up around the gate, it sure seems like accessibility is a factor for some reason, else there's no reason to make it reachable by anybody. Basically, with all the resources the Scribblers had at their disposal, why wouldn't you just encase a gate in, I dunno, the thickest walls of multidimensional stone you can muster? I mean, I don't know much about the various strengths and weaknesses of D&D defense systems, but if the worry is that someone will seize the Gate for nefarious purposes, and accessing the Gate is necessary to seize it, why not make it inaccessible?

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    Uh, which strips are you referring to? Because I don't recall any of that stuff in the () actually being any of Roy's (or the Order's) doing?

And I don't recall Roy's plans in those not also involving him hitting hard with his big sword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    #858 - #862, I suspect. The entire sequence was planned by Roy
    Yeah, I would've thought that was really obvious, and also very clearly the Order's doing and Roy's plan.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Keltest, what's your evaluation of the idea of defending a gate with illusions when the person coming around to knockdown your door is a lich with the standard undead immunities where illusions are concerned? Because that's pretty darn foreseeable (also vampire and mummy raiders).
    "Undead are only immune to patterns and phantasms while my clan also employs figments, glamers, and shadow magic, and these are about as effective against an undead as against any other foe of the same level. If your question is really 'how do my defenses fare against an arbitrarily powerful foe,' then you're just playing gotcha as you can always make the foe stronger, and I see no reason to humor you."
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2019-02-03 at 06:10 PM.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The out of the box Hammer of Thunderbolts/Gauntlets of Ogre Power/Belt of Giant Strength combo is pretty solid, but it's not as devastating as it was in AD&D (when it stacked a full +3 to hit/+6 to damage on top of Girdle bonuses that could be as high as +6 to hit/+12 to damage--though the fact that belt bonuses stack with base STR in 3X closed the gap somewhat). If the opponent was going to be mostly giants, it would be even more devastating than what Roy brought to bear against the Frost Giants in the pass. But against vampires, followed by Xykon, I'm not sure that it would be a huge boost for him compared to what his high level casting could do. On the other hand, the weapon was clearly intended for the temple of Thor to use--I wouldn't be surprised if it had some unique abilities in the hands of a high level cleric of Thor.
    Sudden thought after watching an old "Lois and Clark" episode: Lane Davies aka Tempus is probably the best possible choice to portray an animated or live action Xykon if either of those ever becomes reality--he was born in 1950 and Tempus' personality is a close match for pre-lich Xykon IMO. Just my two cents.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by eilandesq View Post
    The out of the box Hammer of Thunderbolts/Gauntlets of Ogre Power/Belt of Giant Strength combo is pretty solid, but it's not as devastating as it was in AD&D (when it stacked a full +3 to hit/+6 to damage on top of Girdle bonuses that could be as high as +6 to hit/+12 to damage--though the fact that belt bonuses stack with base STR in 3X closed the gap somewhat). If the opponent was going to be mostly giants, it would be even more devastating than what Roy brought to bear against the Frost Giants in the pass. But against vampires, followed by Xykon, I'm not sure that it would be a huge boost for him compared to what his high level casting could do. On the other hand, the weapon was clearly intended for the temple of Thor to use--I wouldn't be surprised if it had some unique abilities in the hands of a high level cleric of Thor.
    At the very least, it will deal solid damage to Xykon since it's 4d6 of magical, bludgeoning damage, meaning it ignores Xykon's damage reduction, which is more than what Roy can claim unless he knows how to Mordhau, and even then the starmetal is only in the blade, not the hilt.
    Last edited by MReav; 2019-02-03 at 08:01 PM.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    At the very least, it will deal solid damage to Xykon since it's 4d6 of magical, bludgeoning damage, meaning it ignores Xykon's damage reduction, which is more than what Roy can claim unless he knows how to Mordhau, and even then the starmetal is only in the blade, not the hilt.
    Durkon can affect Xykon's HP. Roy can affect Xykon's action economy. Roy is still pretty dang powerful against Big X, if you want to look at it in mechanics.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-02-03 at 09:20 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    "Undead are only immune to patterns and phantasms while my clan also employs figments, glamers, and shadow magic, and these are about as effective against an undead as against any other foe of the same level. If your question is really 'how do my defenses fare against an arbitrarily powerful foe,' then you're just playing gotcha as you can always make the foe stronger, and I see no reason to humor you."
    I would have also mentioned that there were however many dozens of people living there who would presumably also be able to adapt on the fly should somebody show up with, say, true sight, but basically this.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #517
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMcW View Post
    It's not Mjölnir.

I will bet 5 gold on Hammer of Thunderbolts though.
    Yeah, boiiiiiii. I was just thinking, Man, Rich went OLD-SKOOL on this one.....

8. - Top - End - #518
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Post retracted because ninja'd upthread.
    Last edited by ijuinkun; 2019-02-04 at 02:17 AM.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

*sees the hammer come out*

*puts on Immigrant Song by Zeppelin*

10. - Top - End - #520

Ok, I give. Why are so many people talking about Led Zeppelin for this? I'm not really getting any reference to the lyrics or anything.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I guess because it's a good viking invasion song and stuff.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Ok, I give. Why are so many people talking about Led Zeppelin for this? I'm not really getting any reference to the lyrics or anything.
    I gather it's because it was used as a backing track in Thor: Ragnarok.

Take that with a grain of salt. I have not seen Thor: Ragnarok.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Having seen Thor: Ragnarok, yes. its used as the music for when Thor beats the crap out of some people with Mjolnir. And another time when he just shoots people with lightning.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #524

At this point I shouldn't be surprised to find out anything Thor-related will make MCU fan boys go "oh this has to relate back to MCU somehow!," and yet.

Thanks.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

At this point I shouldn't be surprised to find out anything Thor-related will make MCU fan boys go "oh this has to relate back to MCU somehow!," and yet.

Thanks.
    Well, by Rich's own explanation, Thor and the north are mostly drawn on the comics and MCU (as opposed to the actual myths), so its not like the similarities are imagined.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, "I come from the land of the ice and snow" is sort of a reference to where dwarfs live.

For the record, I was pushing for "The Immigrant Song" to be used in an awesome battle scene before I saw Thor: Ragnarok (which was only like a month ago). Like Resileaf said, it's just a kick-ass tune for a viking-style battle scene.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Well, by Rich's own explanation, Thor and the north are mostly drawn on the comics and MCU (as opposed to the actual myths), so its not like the similarities are imagined.
    I'm pretty sure you interpolated the MCU into there whereas Mr. Burlew only mentioned the comics, but my memory is not perfect, so summon banana IX.

18. - Top - End - #528

I'm pretty sure you interpolated the MCU into there whereas Mr. Burlew only mentioned the comics, but my memory is not perfect, so summon banana IX.
    Since you said what I wanted to before I could, I'll just cast Summon Proxy (Banana).

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant, archived
    More to the point, everyone knows who Thor is, even if they haven't read D&D books for years. So I picked Thor because he had a big hammer and wore a hat with horns. That is all the internal logic I required when choosing, because I don't care about the things you apparently care about, like whether the alignment printed in the D&D book for Thor was 100% appropriate, or what the long-dead people who invented Thor portrayed him as. Those things are utterly irrelevent. I care more about the Marvel Comics version of Thor than I do about what is printed in Deities & Demigods.

In the OOTS world, Thor behaves exactly as I say he does, and no other way.
    ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Well, "I come from the land of the ice and snow" is sort of a reference to where dwarfs live.
    All I'm saying is, when Leeky Windstaff debuted nobody said a word about Spinal Tap's Stonehenge, despite how there was a druid and we didn't know where he came from or what he was doing.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-02-04 at 12:18 PM.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have not yet met a forum argument that could not be improved by Monty Python.
    This is very sig-worthy, but I'm not that much of a fan of the Pythons to take it.
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Immigrant Song has a line that includes "The Hammer of the Gods...", so it is apropos for scenes involving the use of divine hammers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

21. - Top - End - #531

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    The Immigrant Song has a line that includes "The Hammer of the Gods...", so it is apropos for scenes involving the use of divine hammers.
    A lot of songs say a lot of things.
    All I'm saying is, when Leeky Windstaff debuted nobody said a word about Spinal Tap's Stonehenge, despite how there was a druid and we didn't know where he came from or what he was doing.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

That's probably because he didn't go to eleven.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

23. - Top - End - #533
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    That's probably because he didn't go to eleven.
    Druids get fire storm at level 13.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Colossus in the Playground

I thought what he was doing was pretty unambiguous.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Titan in the Playground

Exactly; he rescaled where "10" was, instead of going to eleven.

26. - Top - End - #536

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I thought what he was doing was pretty unambiguous.
    Oh how he casted, the little gnome of Cliffport municipal park.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Banned

Exactly; he rescaled where "10" was, instead of going to eleven.
    For $2,000.00, I'll build you one that goes to 14.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2019-02-04 at 01:15 PM.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Titan in the Playground

Wait....If a druid casts fire storm on a drummer and no one notices, is it considered spontaneous combustion?

29. - Top - End - #539

Wait....If a druid casts fire storm on a drummer and no one notices, is it considered spontaneous combustion?
    How many druids take the Subtle Spell metamagic feat?

30. - Top - End - #540
    Banned

How many druids take the Subtle Spell metamagic feat?
    There are druids who don't take the Subtle Spell metamagic feat?