Spoiler
    Show
    knowledge nature on swarm traits - (1d20+8)[15]

3. - Top - End - #333
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: The Cube (IC)

Hotaru:

"Well, if it comes to darting across all that space, I'm pretty nimble. If someone would lend me a non-metallic weapon, I'd be happy to take my chances, unless our gambling man would prefer to go first?"

((I've only got a +2 to my dex, but a high tumble stat, could be helpful))
    My Characters:

Spoiler
    Show
    Ke'Kitathas El'Tulari of Ambulating Artifacts:

Kit, Elven Paladin of Corellon Larethian, lvl 1
    (current) AC 13, hp: 10/10, init +1, Listen/Spot +4

Kai'Ninaste El'Tir of Lich Ruler:

Nina, elven Ranger/Rogue of Solonor Thelandira, lvl 2/3
    AC 17, hp: 26/26, init +3, Listen/Spot +12

Hotaru of The Cube:

'Ru, half-elven Bard, lvl 5
    AC 16, hp: 20/20, init +2, Listen/Spot +6/+1

4. - Top - End - #334
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Jarek

Jarek shrugs off his chain shirt and it falls to the ground with a metallic clang. He drops his metallic shield as well. He rubs his fingers together almost gleefully. "In fact I would very much prefer to go first. I have a spell that prevents others from attacking me unless I attack first, should keep the evil presences away, if not then I can protect myself from evil as well. The main thing is...although I am excited to scout ahead, what purpose will it serve. Also, if I do go, I would need some very precise directions on where not to go, Ru, Hyrnest, and dear Linon, could I count on you folks to help me there, and finally, yes I could use some sort of nonmetallic item, shield as well just in case if possible, if not we'll just have to hope for the best. Hmm.....also maybe tie a rope too me if there is a litteral fall to be had. Sorry to get so wordy, but this should be fun!"

5. - Top - End - #335
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Linon

Linon listens intently to Hynerst's explanation and thinks about his suggestions.

"I think Ru and you should save your magic for when you feel it is most useful. Sending a scout first is very clever. I will be very glad to help whomever volunteers to navigate around the presences. It would make a big difference to me if I knew that beyond this door was a place where we could safely put our armour back on. And if it triggered an attack, our scout could dart back to the stairs so we could fight on our own terms.

In fact, trying to trigger the trap from the stairs mightn't be a bad idea either. We haven't tried yet whether these things could be turned, and maybe we could throw some bigger metal things near the armour on the floor or on top of the treasure.

Jarek, you were right before when you said that you'd like to save your divine power for when we know for sure that we're up against undead. If you don't object, I will try it myself."

Spoiler
    Show
    I can't check right now, but I have the nagging feeling that 'Glitterdust' wouldn't work on incorporeal creatures. Tumble is a great idea, avoiding AoO's from the evil things (if they'd get any).

Bender, if you'd prefer Hynerst to think of the extra suggestions I made, I'll edit this post accordingly. They shouldn't be Linon's, but after the song and dance she had to go through before I could reasonably have her think of 'let's use my shield to test whether wood blocks it' I'm a little funned out on the ignorant roleplaying.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

don't know what just happened
    Last edited by webgem; 2007-12-13 at 02:13 PM.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

OOC: I could have sworn I replied earlier, but something must have gone wrong...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Taffimai View Post
    Bender, if you'd prefer Hynerst to think of the extra suggestions I made, I'll edit this post accordingly. They shouldn't be Linon's, but after the song and dance she had to go through before I could reasonably have her think of 'let's use my shield to test whether wood blocks it' I'm a little funned out on the ignorant roleplaying.
    Hynerst might be more intelligent than I am, but he's far from a strategic mastermind, since he has no combat experience (except maybe some from books). I think it's perfectly fine that Linon has some good idea's too.

about non-metal weapon: Hynerst won't offer his quarterstaff, but specifically asked to him and insisted upon, he will part with it.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Bugbear in the Playground

John

"Well, what are we going to do? We have a lot of choices, and I swear I can feel the time slipping away. The best one so far is to send some one in there. " John looks around at his comrades for a second. "If no one objects, I would like to do this."
    RIP Gary Gygax, March 4th, 2008. May he roll 20's in heaven forever.
    RIP Dave Arneson, April 7th, 2009. He roleplays his way into our hearts.
    Avatar by Banjo1985, the Awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by havocfett
    Quote Originally Posted by My self
    I'll throw in my hat as a Dwarf Warlord//Were-Dire Badger, going into Dwarven Defender and Deepwarden from Races of Stone. Is that cool?
    ...I'm not sure the vocabulary exists in the english language to express how much I approve of this concept.

9. - Top - End - #339

RedKnightGirl

Linon

Linon blinks slowly as the battle of wills that is going on between her companions takes her straight back to her days at the temple of Kord. Team sports. No matter which one they picked, it always turned into a silent struggle within each team as every individual player wanted to be the one to make that winning goal, ignored Linon's suggested tactics and it all ended up with a wrestling match. Luckily these men were slightly more disciplined.

Resigning herself that there would be no more attempts at probing the room and knowing that trying to find a logical way to pick the best candidate would leave everybody frustrated, she tries to sound lighthearted as she turns to Jarek.

"How about we let fate decide who goes first? Jarek, if you would lend me one of your dice, I'll clean the footprints off of a part of the stairs and roll it. I would suggest 1 and 2 for Ru, 3 and 4 for you and 5 and 6 for John."
    Last edited by Taffimai; 2007-12-16 at 05:19 AM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Hotaru:

"Sweet! I shall sing a song to fill all our hearts with courage! Glory shall come to he who ventures first into the unknown! Have no fear, should you fall, I shall immortalize your name in song forever!"

(( --> "... And they ate Robin's minstrels and all rejoyced."))
    My Characters:

Spoiler
    Show

Hotaru of The Cube:

11. - Top - End - #341

John

John nods at Linon. "That sounds fair. Let's roll."

John chuckles at Ru's antics. "And if you should fall, Hotaru, I shall compose a ballad on my harmonica such as the world as never seen before, all in the glory of mighty Hotaru, master bard!" John says as he strikes a herioc pose.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll throw in my hat as a Dwarf Warlord//Were-Dire Badger, going into Dwarven Defender and Deepwarden from Races of Stone. Is that cool?
    ...I'm not sure the vocabulary exists in the english language to express how much I approve of this concept.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Hynerst

Uncomfortable about this display of bravery going around, and having no interest in going first himself, Hynerst tries to blend into the background, staring at his knees. He does contemplate some more on what to do against swarms (ooc: was the check sufficient?).

13. - Top - End - #343
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Argin

Argin hands one of his silver dice to Linon. "That seems like a very wise idea, here's hoping that chance favors the correct choice!"

14. - Top - End - #344

RedKnightGirl

Linon

Smiling at the good cheer of all around her, Linon unhooks her gauntlet again so she can accept Jarek's die with a clean hand. She then walks over to the stairs, wipes off one step with her other hand and rolls the die. It comes up a (1d6)[1](1).

15. - Top - End - #345

John

John turns to Hotaru. "Well, friend, it looks like you get the honor of being the first to go in." John grins and says "I hope I won't have to use my harmonica in the following weeks."
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #346
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

((oh, rats))

Hotaru:

"Have no fear, John, I would just as soon rather you didn't compose a eulogy for me, either!" (( ))

Hotaru wiggles out of his pack and adds his chain shirt and weapons to it. He slides his wand into a pocket.

"I'm ready. Does anyone have a club or big stick I can borrow?"

And he'll start to sing!

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's try some Bardic Music to inspire courage. This gives a +1 bonus to saving throws against charm/fear effects, +1 bonus to atk/dmg rolls, and lasts for 5 rounds after he stops singing. (no check required)
    My Characters:

Spoiler
    Show

Hotaru of The Cube:

17. - Top - End - #347

RedKnightGirl

Linon

"I have no club or anything, but feel free to use my shield. It's not perfect, but you can hit things with it if you really need. How about we get some ropes tied to you again? I thought Jarek had a very good point there."

18. - Top - End - #348

John

John pulls a length of rope out of his pack. "We should use my rope, it's extra strong."
    John tugs on it a little, to show its strength.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #349
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Hotaru:

Giving the rope a rather pained look considering his last experience, Ru nods and lets them tie a rope around him (as he's singing, he can't very well make much conversation). He'll accept the shield.

With an added "Wish me luck!" to the song he's currently singing about courage and valor, Hotaru steps into the room ....

((I suppose a weapon isn't particularly necessary, considering the liklihood that he'll stay around and fight is slim, so we'll just press on, shall we?))
    My Characters:

Spoiler
    Show

Hotaru of The Cube:

20. - Top - End - #350
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Hynerst

Hynerst stiffens up and starts breathing fast again as he watches Hotaru's endeavour from as far away as possible.

21. - Top - End - #351

RedKnightGirl

Linon

Concentrating once more on the evil presences in the room, Linon keeps Hotaru informed about how close they are and on which side of him.

"There is one ahead of you, but it is still several steps away. There is one closer to you and to the right that you're going to pass right about... now."

22. - Top - End - #352
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Jarek

Jarek retrieves his holy symbol and prepares to smite the creatures should they be undead, and hopes to be of some assistance.

Spoiler
    Show

i do have interweb, but it is dial up and very skippy, hopefully I'll be able to check every day and update though, just a forewarning
    Last edited by webgem; 2007-12-29 at 10:10 PM.

23. - Top - End - #353

John

John readies his sword and says "Hotaru, if they attack, try and lure them over here so we can fight them!"
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #354
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Hotaru:

Moving carefully around the ... whatevers, still singing cheerfully, Hotaru tries to get to the other side as quickly as he can.
    My Characters:

Spoiler
    Show

Hotaru of The Cube:

25. - Top - End - #355
    Halfling in the Playground

Hotaru: nothing happens. The metallic things in your possession (the fishhoots, the signal whistle, etc) are weighed down in your pockets, but this has no effect on your movement through the room. It is simply annoying.

Do you have any destination in mind?

26. - Top - End - #356
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

If Hotaru doesn't bother anything and nothing bothers him, he'll make for the door on the far side of the room and pause there. If the door's open, he'll look through, otherwise just listen for anything he might hear on the other side.

Note: he'll try not to touch or in any other way disturb the door, having learned the hard way that doors in dungeons are often booby-trapped.

Once he reaches the far side, he will, of course, stop singing, and call back to the others anything he finds out.

spot: (1d20+1)[4](5)
    listen: (1d20+6)[13](19)
    My Characters:

Spoiler
    Show

Hotaru of The Cube:

27. - Top - End - #357
    Halfling in the Playground

Hotaru: The door is very close to the corpse at E2. Do you want to investigate it, or stay as far away from it as possible?

Also, because you are so close to the door (i.e. right next to it) Search is a better roll to make.

In any event, the door is closed. On the door is a motif of a muscular genie blocking the way with folded arms, in a pose as if blocking passage. Something small is written in very fine print that you could have not read otherwise. Unlike the other writing, this is in Draconic, so you can read it. It says "Stay here forever and rot, you thieves. No thieves shall be granted passage through this door."
    Last edited by hexonxonx; 2008-01-02 at 07:27 PM.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

(oh, I meant that, if the door were open, to look beyond into the corridor or whatever and see what he could see, but, no matter ...)

((Do you mean, do I want to investigate the corpse? Uh, sure, I guess I can take a look when I'm done with the door.))

Hotaru does shout back to the others the inscription on the door. "Sounds rather chipper, don't you think?" Stepping aside, towards the corpse. "Now, about this body ...."

((In case I need a search check for that, (1d20+3)[18](21)))
    My Characters:

Spoiler
    Show

Hotaru of The Cube:

29. - Top - End - #359
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Hynerst

From the back, Hynerst mumbles "We haven't stolen anything, we can pass."
    After rethinking it for two seconds, and in a self-satisfied voice:
    "At least, I have never stolen anything"

30. - Top - End - #360

John

John thinks for a minute about the passage on the wall. "I do not think that it means if we have ever thieved anything, it probably means whether or not we wish to steal whatever is behind that door."
    Spoiler
    Show