New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Exploration & Personal Magic Items [IC]

It is a new day for Westhaven. For the first time in a very long time, perhaps even since the founding of the town, there will be people leaving the valley to find out what lays beyond. Fortunately it's an especially pleasant Spring day with a gentle breeze and only a few small clouds in the sky. The explorers-to-be have had a last breakfast with those they had to say their goodbyes to and set out to meet up with the others.
    Within a few minutes they're all together. There is also a small crowd of those who don't have more pressing tasks to do (so largely children and the elderly) nearby to see them off.

They have their supplies readied and have mentally prepared themselves as best they can. All that remains is to decide which way they're heading.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Exploration & Personal Magic Items [IC]

Parfu

The air had a pleasant crispness to it that only the spring could provide. The winter hadn't been as harsh as it had in years past, so Parfu had a fair amount of energy leading into spring. Many fire-bloods can find the winter season draining.

He brushed his right hand through is orange hair as he took in a deep breath. This was the longest he had gone without a haircut since joining the monastery and he was enjoying the feel of the hair on his head. While he was younger, they kept him shaved bald to limit the number of indicators of his bloodline. This was often enough to keep the teasing limited while he was an adolescent, as the bright orange hair stood out more than his dark complexion.

He looked to the west, toward the glacier that rested between the two mountain ranges. "No one's been beyond these borders in recent memory. I'm excited to see what we can find." A big smile drew across his face.

He cinched his black belt and adjusted his backpack. "I'm ready when you guys are." He says as he motions toward the glacier.

Spoiler: Regarding Equipment
    Show

I've added a waterskin and a poncho to my list. Just an FYI.
    Last edited by Feirgon; 2019-01-02 at 04:41 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Yes! Let’s start this adventure. I want to get out there already. Creid Jack impatiently, a grin gripped his features as he stared into the distant horizon.

What do you reckon we’re going to find out there?

Inside of course Jack was a little twisted up, it had been so sad saying goodbye to all of his friends and his family. But when they returned there would be so many stories to tell them, he just knew it.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2019-01-02 at 04:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Jimmy Fairfield

The leaving was fun, all-in-all. Kinda sad to say bye to his cousin, but he trusted him to keep care of the farm. Emily's sudden gift was a surprise. And, well, that new waitress at the bar's farewell kisses last night were nice, even if she ended up crying about him leaving.

Feeling the weight of his pack on his back and sturdy boots on his feet, he smiles at the crowd and his companions. He figured one of them had stronger concerns about where they'd go than he, so he'd been happy to let them choose the path.

"Yep, I suppose it is that time, isn't it. Time to see what lays outside Haven."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

eek Re: Exploration & Personal Magic Items [IC]

Willem Raeven

Willem ran through his mental list for the fifth time or so, comparing it with the contents of his backpack and his bags. After making sure he had everything he thought he needed, he patted Auburn's neck and rubbed her cheeks, whispering "Good girl" before leading her towards the rest of the group.

He quickly surveyed the members of his party, finding some familiar faces.

"No one's been beyond these borders in recent memory. I'm excited to see what we can find," exclaimed an orange-haired youth.

Isn't that cousin Arturo's wife's brother? Can't say I'm surprised. Same goes for the Fairfield kid, I guess. Hmm?

"Yes! Let’s start this adventure. I want to get out there already."

He turned to look at this boy who looked visibly younger than the rest.

Who's the kid? It's one thing to send me on this trip, but to allow children...

Wil sighed.

Doesn't matter. Not my place to decide. Let's just get this over with.

Before his thoughts circled back to the things that made him not want to leave, he stepped forward.

"Very well, let us proceed. I assume everyone has made adequate preparations." He scanned their equipment before trying to suppress a disappointed look, which then turned into wondering whether he was the one going overprepared. Brushing the thought aside, he continued.

"I will be in charge of making the maps as we go along, but to be honest, I have never even ventured past the swamps, much less to the outer edges of Westhaven. Is there anyone who knows a path towards Rosewater Falls?"

6. - Top - End - #6

Erik hurriedly rushes through the last of his packing by stuffing things into his pack haphazardly, cursing his lateness.
    "Guys wait up I'm here.....don't leave.....without me."

Eriks words come breathlessly from his exertion as he runs towards the group with his legs pumping like skinny pistons and arms windmilling awkwardly for balance. With the gear laden on his back he looks somewhat like a crab scuttling to a party.
    Erik stands with the others panting heavily
    "Pretty sure I have....everything. I'm good to go, just need to ah...catch my breath. Hoo..."
    Erik wipes his spectacles on his shirt before putting them back on his face. "Ahem. Rosewater? My Pa says there's old game trails that used cut right through the swamp but they all got flooded out when the glacier started melting. So long as we follow the triumph though it should guide us pretty well....till we get to the falls at least. Hey Willem, doesn't your cousin live out in the swamp? We could pay a visit on the way past to see if he knows a better way."
    Last edited by Feralgeist; 2019-01-03 at 12:44 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
    Hey Willem, doesn't your cousin live out in the swamp? We could pay a visit on the way past to see if he knows a better way."
    Before Willem responds, Jimmy chimes in, "That sounds like a good plan if it sounds good to you, Willem."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Willem Raeven

Wil turned to see the out-of-breath Erik, and nodded at his suggestion.

"So nice of you to join us, Erik. My cousin and I, we haven't spoken to each other for a long time, but you're here," he motioned at Parfu, "Should make things easier."

He looked back at the town one last time, as if committing it to memory before looking at the rest of the group again, beaming.

"Now, everyone. Shall we?"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Yes! Let's do this!

Jack went forwards, leading a stout pony. He was not yet twenty yards from the edge of town but still he looked around in great curiosity and substantial focus. Though it should be said the object of these seemed to shift with each passing second from the horizon to his companions to a hopeful tune.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

At the pace the group travels at, it takes barely more than two days to reach the eel and crawfish farm of Arturo Raeven and Cynfu Durront. The travel was as pleasant as could be and there was no problem keeping supplied with food and water. You arrive an hour after dawn and find Arturo Raeven already there at work. As you get closer he looks up and spotting his younger cousin he smiles and gives a wave of greeting as he gets back up onto solid land to greet you.
    Once you're all close enough to speak he says, "S'good to see ya cousin! What's with all these folk with ya though? First time we had more'n two guests at a time out here."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Willem Raeven

"Cousin!"

Wil stepped forward to bring Arturo into a hug.

"Forgive me. It has been a long time since I last came to visit," he stepped back, beaming. "But it is good to see you."

Turning towards his party, he went on to introduce them. "By the way, these are my companions. You may have heard the rumors in town about sending people out beyond the borders, right? Well, this is it," he spoke with a flourish. "Why don't you introduce yourselves, boys?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Jimmy

Jimmy tips his straw-brim hat with a smile.
    "Jimmy Fairfield, formerly of the Fairfield farm. I think I tasted some of your good at the fall festival a couple times. Pleasure to meet'cha."

13. - Top - End - #13

Parfu

Parfu smiled wide as he waved at his brother-in-law.

"No introduction necessary. We are, already, rather acquainted."

He try's to survey Arturo's work from here, hoping to find the more desirable option of the two. Unsure with what he is seeing, he decides to ask.

"Whatchya fishin' for today?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, yeah. I did hear sumethin' like that. Didn' think t'was really happening though. Well good on ya boys!" Arturo replies to Willem and shakes hands with the others as they introduce themselves.

He gives Jimmy a smile at his words.

"You too huh Parfu? Yer sure one for interestin' life decisions." he says and laughs a bit. " 'S crawfish today. Yeh eat yet? How bout I call Cynfu out and have her cook yall a little sumethin'? She'll be glad ta see ya I know."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Jimmy perks up at talk of a meal. It has just been two days -- and plenty to forage or folks sharing on the way -- but the idea of a nice place to eat sounds good.

He points his thumb towards his fishing rod, strapped to his back.
    "If it don't offend, mind if I do a cast or two and see if I pick up anything interesting? Either for you or to add to the meal?" With a smile to the group, he adds, "Or maybe we'll find some clue as the best route to take."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I figured such might be a fun interlude while introductions are being done. If he says yes -- and no offense taken if he would rather not have someone else fishing on his land -- feel free to post up whatever Jimmy catches. In case it matters: not using bait.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

I can help cook, and it's lovely to meet you sir, It's a shame you don't get visitors often but it's always nice to meet new people. Jack said, words tumbling out. How long have you lived all the way out here? And yeah, it's real we'll be the first ones out there in ages, should be a lot to see.

Jack is quite clearly thrilled to finally have somewhere inside warmer and drier to rest, as well as new people to meet who lived in what for him seemed to be a wilderness.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Willem Raeven

"I wouldn't want to impose, but I'd gladly take you on that offer," Wil smiled sheepishly. Food wasn't a problem so far, and the novelty of this whole adventuring thing was still there, but he'd prefer proper homecooked meals and actually eating at a table.

18. - Top - End - #18

Default Erik Gimlet

Erik stands by quietly taking in the farm and the house and the nets in the river.

"Hello Arturo I'm Erik, it's good to see you. The house looks good.. but it's a shame we never got to do a raising with you guys so far out here. I have my tools and stuff with me." He taps a hand on the kettle-black assortment of metal on his back. "To tell the truth I'm awful with food, the further I'm kept away from it's making the better. I'm happy to help out around here while we're in the area though, I make a pretty decent tinkerer.

19. - Top - End - #19

Parfu

"Haven't eaten, yet. And crawfish does sound good."

Parfu puts both hands behind his head and stretches.

"And as if you I need to explain my life decisions to you. You're the one who married my sister after all."

A sly smirk can be seen on his face as he walks toward Arturo's house.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

"I heard o' that rod o' yours. So go ahead. I'm interested ta see what ya'll fish up." Arturo replies to Jimmy.

"I'm sure the wife'll appreciate that. We only been here a few years. It'll be well worth being out here to be the first ones to see what you bring on your way back. Though I prefer living out here ta be honest." he replies to Jack.

He gives a little chuckle at Erik's words and says, "That's fine by me. Never was one much for having lots of people around and there's something to be said for knowing you made yer home on yer own. Don't worry 'bout no tinkering. I wouldn't want to keep ya'll from your journey."

He just gives a loud bark of laughter at Parfu's words and then calls out to the house, "Cynfu! Your brother came callin'! An' he brought a bunch o' hungry fella's with him!"

After a moment there's a shout back from presumably an open window somewhere, "Well send that boy on in here then!" Parfu recognizes the voice as his sister's.

Well, go ahead and give me a roll for that fishing JeenLeen.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Jimmy's rod catches something and pulls out something covered in a thick layer of clay. Cleaning the clay off reveals the item is an ice axe.

22. - Top - End - #22

Parfu

"Hey Sis, long time no see."

Parfu smiles and gives his sister a big hug.

"Mom and Dad say 'Hi'. And look forward to seeing you at the upcoming festival."

There is a small pain in Parfu's voice as mentions the festival that he will inevitably be missing.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Willem Raeven

Wil waited outside, curious to see one of the famed magical items at work. He had heard of them, probably most of them, through the Council, where the idea of some sort of regulations on these items had been put forward. Of course, with the bigger houses owning some of them and also being a part of the Council, this really didn't get any traction. But apart from his family's heirloom, he has not seen the effects of other magical items.

When Jimmy pulled something out covered in clay which turned out to be an ice axe, he nodded with approval. Surely, what are the odds of having one's fishing line snagging up an ice axe. He was about to congratulate the young man, but then he stopped.

Ice axe. And we're headed to Rosewater Falls...

"Brilliant!"

Willem can't help but exclaim. "That fishing rod is magical, indeed! Who knew something like that was possible?" he added, with the last sentence more like him musing to himself.

"What else have you caught using that, Jimbo?"

24. - Top - End - #24

Default Erik Gimlet

Erik spends a moment cracking his fingers, wrists and knuckles before setting down his heavy pack. Rotating his shoulders to loosen them he begins to unpack his tools and his oil and patiently begins polishing and oiling them all before putting them away. At the commotion of Jimmy's catch Erik looks over, raising an eyebrow.

"Impressive, Jimmy. Pass it here and I'll give it a once over."

Erik slips his hands into the gloves on his belt, gasping slightly as the magic takes hold and they shrink to fit snugly like a second skin. He beckons with a clawed finger "These are better than a whetstone, that axe'll do ye no good if it's dull."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Jimmy smiled at the offer of trying out his rod, and his smiles wider when it pulls forth something unusual. Good luck, it seemed. Touching the amulet he was gifted, he offers a small prayer of thanks to Stolfar and its avatar of this swamp.

"Ha ha! Looks like a good find. Yeah, take a look, Erik."

To Willem, he responds, "Mostly fish, and a few odd things folk have lost in the river back home..." His voice trails off a bit at that last word, a hint of homesickness surprising him, but he shakes it off (metaphorically and literally shaking his head back and forth a second) and smiles. "Did one time find a broach a pretty lady lost. She, uh, was thankful," he smirks.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Willem Raeven

"You know, I just have this feeling that rod would be our ticket out of a pinch some day," Wil nodded approvingly. If his hunch was correct, the magical fishing rod would indeed be a powerful tool for their task.

"Now I'm curious what those gloves can do," he said, turning towards Erik.

27. - Top - End - #27

Default Erik Gimlet

Chuckling with mirth at Willems curiousity Erik gingerly takes the ice axe, handling it like it's made of glass.

"They're just regular gloves till I get my hands on some stone or metal. When I do it feels soft as sap."
    To demonstrate he pinches his thumb and forefinger together and runs them along the edge of the axeblade smoothing out any old nicks or gouges in in the metal and clearing the surface of any rust. Once the blade is done his lightly brushes his fingers over the rest of the axe, flakes of rust cascading off like ruddy dandruff. Once done Erik pokes a clawed finger through the handle, twisting it side to side to drill through. Retrieving a leather strip from his pack Erik ties a wrist-strap onto the gleaming tool before handing it back to Jimmy.
    A quality find. Looks good without the river muck. I wonder who made it." he says as he takes off the gloves and tucks them into his belt before repacking the rest of his tools
    Last edited by Feralgeist; 2019-01-11 at 04:24 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Parfu

"Aren't you old enough to be over that by now?"

Cynfu gives her younger brother a piercing stare. This breaks any concentration Parfu had.

"Huh? What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about Landing. And you know I am talking about Landing. Stop playing the fool."

Parfu lets out an exaggerated sigh.

"It's the best holiday. Fireworks and food. I don't see how you can go wrong with that combination."

"I guess it's just too loud for me... But, are you going to be okay missing out on this year's celebration."

There is a certain prodding in Cynfu's voice that goes completely unobserved by her younger brother.

"Probably. But, this isn't the kind of opportunity that comes around everyday. Who knows, maybe I'll see and experiencing something that rivals Landing.

Oh! I should probably introduce you to the others who will be joining me."

With that, Parfu leads his sister out to meet the other explorers.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Willem Raeven

"Like sap, you say? Fascinating!"

Wil took Erik's finished work and inspected it. Amazed with the level of work done on the axe with just a short amount of time, he nodded approvingly.

"Truly magical. Although, it would be foolish to disregard the user's level of skill. Master Gimlet should be proud," he smiled at Erik. "Here you go, Jimmy," he handed the axe over. "We would probably be needing that, take good care of it."

He turned to the siblings who had just come out of the house.

"Cynfu! How have you been?"

30. - Top - End - #30

Cynfu

"I have been well. Not too much changes this far away from town. I'm probably overdue for a visit to the monastery.

Decided to head out of the valley with my brother?"