New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Othniel's Tyrant's Grasp I

Cotyledon bowed deeply to the departing souls as they began to fade away. She was a shaman of life not a psychopomp herself, and felt oddly out of bounds. Nevertheless, her efforts were successful in some fashion. Quietly she followed Henrietta, her own strange thoughts sealed away behind her mask of flower petals.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ettin in the Playground

The Boneyard

Henrietta, Coty, and the others found Umble and Thoot where they'd left them. Indeed, the two didn't seem to have moved at all. "Quite so? Splendiforous!" Umble seemed pleased, and Thoot gave them a silent bow.

"I shall now inform you of the exact nature regarding the Dead Roads," Umble began, clearing her throat. "Unlike many outsiders, we psychopomps cannot inherently travel between the planes; instead, we take a series of extraplanar pathways called the Dead Roads. We happen to know which of the Roads connect the Boneyard here back to your home in Lastwall."

Umble went on to describe the Dead Roads themselves, which resembled a raised roadway approximately fifteen-to-twenty feet in breadth. The exact appearancement of the Dead Roads varied according to who saw them and that individual’s own understanding of the word “road,” but, in general, the Dead Roads were unremarkable, winding, and devoid of signs. To either side of the road, the ground sloped away steeply into silvery mist. Creatures that left the road and entered the mist would find themselves wandering the back hills of the Boneyard. Only the occasional way station—buildings varying widely in appearance and acting as tent pegs holding the extraplanar network in place—broke up the gloomy monotony.

"I suppose we are prepared? The ritual is quite simple, but I must ask you not to pay too close attention, as we’re not technically empowered to perform this bit of extrajurisdictational transposition.

"Like most things involving psychopomps, the Dead Roads rely on a complex bureaucracy. They’re maintained by Barzahk the Passage to allow us to come and go, but creatures of... of non-psychopompological nature need authorization to prevent abuse. Specially appointed bureaucrats control way stations along the routes, and can offer a stamp on your body to pass freely. Without a stamp of passage, beings tend to, oh... ‘slide off’ the Dead Roads and land back here—hopefully. We never did locate more than a few fingers from that one poor waywardarian Kele****e who found his way in.

“The route to Roslar’s Coffer passes three way stations: the Palace of Teeth, a manor called Nine-Eaves, and Salighara’s Scriptorium. You’ll need to stop at all three to make your pilgrimage back to Lastwall. Each way station master will probably charge for passage. Given your pauparian circumstances, I assume they’ll trade services. I hope.”
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

"I would find it odd that psychopomps would place any value on material things," said Cotyledon, "I'm ready to traverse these 'dead roads,' at least, as soon as the rest of my companions are. Oh, by the way, Umble, Thoot, do you know who Mictena is?"

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Gilbert

"I am ready, I guess. Can you put in a good word for me with my goddess, Pharasma? Do I need a resume to become a psychopomp? I wonder what she'd be looking for..." He trailed off no longer talking to anyone, but himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Firbolg in the Playground

Henrietta

Henrietta looked somewhat nonplussed at the prospect of having to work her way out of the afterlife but shrugged her shoulders.

"Not like we've got much choice otherwise. Let's get out of here before something else happens."
    Everything dissolves into blue.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

The Boneyard

“Ah... oh... is Mictena here already? How distressing." Umble ruffled her feathers, seemingly perturbed. "Mictena is, in vulgar terms, our superior. She’s quite the potent psychopomp, and this corner of the Boneyard is within her jurisdiction. I would recommend that, like us, you avoid attracting her attentions.”

"I should say to continue on as you are, young man." Umble fluttered over to perch on Gilbert's shoulder as he spoke up. "Those who maintain a neutral outlook on things are more likely to be recreated as Psychopomps, and if you fight the things the Mother of Souls hates - namely, undead - well, that can only burnish your credentials, as it were, no? I myself hope to rise in the ranks someday."
    Last edited by Othniel; 2019-06-15 at 06:59 PM.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Bellas

The elf tore her eyes away from where the mass of deceased townsfolk disappeared from. She bore her heartache in silence, she hadn't seen her parents amongst the throng of deadfolk but she was unsure if it wouldn't have been better to know they were gone and have closure. She nodded in approval as Henrietta urged them on their path, no sense in lingering now.

"To the Palace of Teeth then. That sounds friendly, doesn't it?" Her voice was dry as she turned towards the directed path and began walking, not glancing behind her to see if the others followed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

Palace of Teeth

With Bellas in the lead, the troupe went on, leaving their new psychopomp associates behind. The Dead Roads resembled a raised roadway approximately 15-20 feet across, but were otherwise unremarkable, winding, and devoid of signs. To either side of the road, the ground sloped away steeply into silvery mist. The Road was silent, save for their own footfalls.

A three hour march brought them the first sign of habitation they'd seen since the ghostly Roslar's Coffer: A tall, narrow castle rose from atop a hill near the road. Constructed of weathered wood and ivory-colored stone, the building was studded with thousands upon thousands of teeth, arranged in neat rows and spirals. The castle’s only windows were high and narrow. A tall gatehouse lead into a courtyard, its floor paved with yellowish bricks and old teeth.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Walking the desolate, relatively featureless road was oddly pleasant for Cotyledon. She let her mind wander; reflecting on her past lives could occupy entire days for her. However, after several minutes of relative silence she shook herself out of her solipsistic reverie and tried to focus more on her newfound companions. There was still a great deal unknown about them.

She broke the eerie silence.
    "...Is anyone hungry? My traveling pack came with some rations, but I don't eat food. Does anyone want them?"

>> At the Tooth House <<

When the group arrived at the Palace of Teeth, Coty gazed at the strange place with her empty eyes, profoundly aware of her lack of teeth. More evidence that she didn't really belong here.

"Well... I guess we should knock?"

10. - Top - End - #310

Henrietta

At Coty's offer, Henrietta paused to think. Was she hungry? She hadn't really stopped to think about it since they'd gotten here, what with the whole 'waking up inside a tomb and finding out you were in the Boneyard' thing, but if they were still alive, it made sense that they would still have regular needs, wouldn't it?

Her stomach rumbled, answering the question for her.

"Yeah, I'll take some."
    She then remembered her manners, and belatedly added a "Please."

Tearing into the jerky and hardtack, she paused in between bites to pose a question, crumbs spraying everywhere.

"So, do you always carry stuff you don't need, or was whoever sold you the pack just too lazy to take it out? You seem too sensible to have this for no reason."
    She gulped. "Though I guess I shouldn't complain."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Working that low Charisma score.

*** Later, at the palace of teeth... ***

"Guess so."

Approaching the gatehouse, Henrietta called out.

"Hello! Anyone home?"

No-one answered, but then, Henrietta's attention was drawn to something in the middle of the entryway.

"Huh. Prooobably shouldn't have given us away like that. Whoever's here apparently isn't fond of visitors."
    She pointed. "Pressure plate and a dead drop trap with teeth."
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2019-06-20 at 10:01 PM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

>> On the road <<

Coty put her vine-like fingers to her mouth and giggled, a skill that she must have practiced well for how natural it seemed.
    "The traveling pack came with the rations as part of a package deal. And when you're a ghoran, having some food to offer people is preferable to being around hungry humans..."

>> At ToothLand USA <<

Cotyledon looked around with some apparent trepidation.
    "Can fey cross over into the Dead Roads? I've heard tales of tooth fairies, little sprites that extract teeth from unwilling victims. They might be drawn to a place such as this."

12. - Top - End - #312

Henrietta

*** On the road... ***

Henrietta stopped mid-chew, blinking.

"Wait... so people have, like, tried to eat you?"

She took a closer look at the ghoran.

"I mean, I've done some desperate things to eat, but you're, like, a thinking person and stuff. And you don't look that tasty..."

*** Back in the present... ***

"I am the wrong person to ask about that."

Henrietta leveled her glaive.

"But I am the right person to ask about slicin'. Stay behind me."

Carefully stepping around the trap, Henrietta moved into the courtyard.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

Palace of Teeth

The small courtyard was surrounded by walls 12 feet tall. High above, an arched bridge spanned the courtyard from north to south. The courtyard was paved with bricks and teeth in intricate floral arrangements. A narrow passage to the south lead outside (the way Henrietta had entered), while an ornate wooden double door studded with whorls and spirals of humanoid teeth stood opposite the passage, leading to the north. A heavy wooden door stood on each side of the passageway in the south wall. The handle of the east door had been removed, leaving a gaping hole. The west door was secured with an elaborate lock, supplemented with an additional lock and handle, apparently from the east door. A pair of wooden barrels stood to the west, while a large crate rested on the east side of the courtyard

No sooner had Henrietta taken stock of her surroundings than a quintet of horrid little creatures leaped out of their hiding places, brandishing pliers and chattering at her in a language she did not understand.

Spoiler: Bellas, Coty, and Kali
    Show
    The Tooth Fairies are speaking in Sylvan and are shouting at you to lay down your arms and give up your teeth. If you do so, you will be allowed to leave in peace.

Spoiler: Tooth Fairy
    Show
    Last edited by Othniel; 2019-06-24 at 11:39 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

>> On the road <<

Coty maintained her pleasant expression even as she explained herself to Henrietta, with the patience only millennia of experience could bestow.
    "Ghorans were originally created to feed humans, thousands of years ago in the Mana Wastes. We gained intelligence after a time, some think as a defense mechanism to keep from getting eaten. It's illegal to eat ghoran flesh in most places now, but that doesn't mean there aren't poachers out there, or people willing to pay a great deal for a rare delicacy.

...I'm told we're quite delicious."

>> At the Tooth Place <<

Cotyledon let out an exasperated sigh at the sight of the tooth fairies; given her lack of lungs, it was doubtless another adopted behavior. She spoke to the fey curtly in Sylvan.
    <Sylvan>"If you don't leave us alone, my friend Gilbert is going to turn you into paste with their shovel."

She turned to her companions with a grim expression.
    "These things are idiots. Get ready for a fight."

15. - Top - End - #315

Henrietta* Back on the road... *Henrietta let out a gagging sound."If it's all the same, I think I'll just not try for myself." She shuddered. "Guess I should count myself lucky. Of all the things people accuse Duskwalkers of, being tasty isn't one of them."* Back at the plot... *Henrietta immediately unslung her glaive and glowered menacingly at the tooth fairies.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground

Palace of Teeth

If the fairies were impressed by Coty's threats or the appearance of Henrietta's glaive, they did not show it. <"Take their teeth!"> the leader shouted in Sylvan, and though only Coty could understand them, their intent was plain.

Spoiler: Combat
    Show
    Everyone wins initiative except Coty. I've placed Henrietta and Coty in what I think are reasonably positions on the map here. The rest of you should place yourselves nearby, but not further inside the courtyard please.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

Bellas

The elf bared her teeth and growled back angrily in Slyvan.

"If you think you can take them, then come and get them!"

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    5 ft. step and Attack on T1
    (1d20+7)[25]
    damage
    (1d10+5)[13]
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    #Notallinfluencers

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Gilbert

"The only word in that exchange I understood was Gilbert, but I think I get the idea..." Gilbert hoisted his hammer and charged the nearest tooth fairy. As the hammer came down he noticed a nail in the beast's mouth. He couldn't help but smile.

Spoiler: Attackin
    Show

to-hit:(1d20+8)[26]
    damage:(3d6+7)[18]

just in case
    to-crit:(1d20+8)[19]
    damage:(3d6+7)[19]
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Troll in the Playground

"What an unfathomably sad existence you lead. I thought fey were supposed to be mysterious and cool! You guys are just psychos!"

Spoiler: T2 --- Point Blank, Rapid Shot
    Show
    (1d20+2)[15]
    (1d4+2)[6] damage

(1d20+2)[13]
    (1d4+2)[5] damage

(1d20+2)[11]
    (1d4+2)[6] damage

Spoiler: for nat 20, see me
    Show
    (1d20+2)[17]
    (1d4+2)[5] damage

20. - Top - End - #320

Henrietta

Henrietta groaned in disgust.

"Why couldn't you have been some nice, clean-smelling... things? All I want to do is rest! But no, you had to try and take my teeth!"

Dancing forward, she swung her glaive at one of the fairies.

Spoiler
    Show
    5 step and attack T2.

Attack: (1d20+6)[7]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[7]

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ettin in the Playground

Palace of Teeth

With the fairies numbers much reduced, Percival quickly marched in and took that number down to one.

"Aghhh!" The final fairy screamed in frustration and fled upward in terror.

Spoiler: Loot
    Show
    You can attempt to kill the last one with ranged attacks if you want to, but it looks like it's gone.

You do loot one of the small blighters and find a pouch containing five gold teeth, worth 15gp each. Should any member of your party be missing a tooth, they would be suitable replacements after an hour of impromptu dentistry.

Quickly and carefully, Bellas disabled the falling teeth trap, leaving the entrance free from danger.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2019-07-07 at 04:21 PM.

22. - Top - End - #322

Henrietta

Muttering frustratedly under her breath, Henrietta shook her glaive clean before turning to the rest of the party.

"We need to get inside before that thing gets back with reinforcements. Or worse..."

She marched toward the nearest door that looked like an entrance.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

Palace of Teeth

The doors did not appear to be trapped; indeed they did not appear to be locked either. All was silent, save for what little sound the party made.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2019-07-08 at 11:31 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324

Henrietta

Placing both her hands upon the doors, Henrietta pushed them open.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground

Palace of Teeth

This doors swung open to ornate room spanning the entire width of the palace. The north end consisted of a floor-to-ceiling stained-glass mural of skeletal knights with halos surrounding an angelic figure. Globs of metal and bits of teeth affixed to the stained-glass angel gave it a repulsive appearance, with a mouth far too wide and teeth attached to its fingertips. On either side of the stained-glass mural were two delicate archways. From the room beyond came the faint sound of flowing water.

A moment passed as Henrietta and her companions started to file into the palace, and then the stained glass angel moved, separating from the mural and stepping forth from the wall, tooth-studded claw-hands outstretched.

Spoiler: Combat!
    Show
    You all win initiative. You may place yourselves where you like in the first room or outside.

Spoiler: Stained-Glass Angel
    Show

Spoiler: Knowledge (Arcana): Bellas, Vesper, Gilbert, and Kali
    Show
    you recognize this as a Stained-Glass Angel, a weaker variant of the Glass Golem. It was likely placed here to act as a guardian for the palace. Between the four of you, you know that it is a construct (with construct traits, of course), resistant to electricity but vulnerable to sonic, and does slashing damage.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2019-07-09 at 09:39 PM.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

Bellas

"I truly hate this place." Never one to waste time with dithering, the elf strode purposefully up to the angel and swung her long curved blade at it.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Attack the angel
    (1d20+7)[25]
    Damage
    (1d10+5)[12]
    #Notallinfluencers

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

"Honestly, this entire plane kind of sucks. I am prepared to lower my expectations further."
    Spoiler: Point Blank, Rapid Shot, Deadly Aim, Spellstrike
    Show

(1d20+2)[10]
    (1d4+4)[5] damage

(1d20+2)[13]
    (1d4+4)[6] damage

(1d20+2)[3]
    (1d4+4)[6] damage

28. - Top - End - #328
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Cotyledon rushed further into the strange cathedral, taking cover near a corner. Her willowy arms and sparse armaments seemed hardly appropriate for the current situation. Nevertheless, she cheered her companions on.

"Well struck Bellas!"

29. - Top - End - #329

Henrietta

"Agreed,"
    said Henrietta to Vesper as she sliced toward the angel.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+6)[10]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[11]

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Gilbert

"If it wasn't so murdery it'd be pretty nice. Maybe if we were proper dead..." Gilbert grikaced at the thought of destroying something so objectively beautiful, but readied his hammer all the same.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show

To-hit:(1d20+8)[19]
    Damage:(3d6+7)[16]

To-crit:(1d20+8)[18]
    Damage:(3d6+7)[22]