New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: (Pathfinder) Against the Ogres

This small room looks like a torture chamber. There are Horrible-looking tools on the walls. A bucket filled with hot coals sits on the floor. In one corner is a cell, and huddled in it is an elf. However between you and him are three ugly creatures. One is holding a wicked-looking set of tongs, another has a whip, and the third has a red hot poker. After you burst into the room, the elf, chained to the wall, says "Oh, go back, adventurers! Don't add your deaths atop mine." As they were in the middle of torturing the elf, you guys caught the hobgoblin trio by surprise. You get 1 action apiece.

Map: Battle Map Tab
    Last edited by ngilop; 2019-05-03 at 08:48 PM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

"Give up and we'll let you live... you're outnumbered and overmatched." Zed calls out as they stand at the door, his bow raised.
    Spoiler
    Show

Assuming the door is at C-5

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gar

Gar moves into the room and interposes himself slightly between the hobgoblins and the elf. "You heard him, drop it." He waves his sword in a defensive pattern in front of himself.

Spoiler
    Show

Step to C2 and take a 'full defense' action.

AC: 26 (22 + 4 for total defense)
    HP: 67/67

Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2019-05-04 at 11:38 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

From the doorway, the witch glares at the Hobgoblin directly opposite (H3). "We aren't leaving anyone in your hands."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Yeah, same hex. -4 to attack rolls, DC 19 to reduce to 1 round from 8.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Thruffgar, being the dwarfiest dwarf that ever dwarfed a dwarf, charges in.

"Surrender, scum, and we may let ye live!"

He charges directly into the middle of the room and gets ready to attack if the creatures don't surrender.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move to C3.
    Ready attack against H3

AC: 28

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

The hobgoblins blink, frozen for a moment mid action. The one holding the whip lowers his shoulders when Obrete uses his Hex. The one with the poker responds to you call to surrender with "Proud entrance, warrior.. now back it with steel!". The whip wielding hobgoblin attempts to trip gar, while the others take swings at Thruffgar.

Spoiler: Monster Actions
    Show
    Initiative (1d20+1)[18]
    Hobgoblin#1 Attack/Damage (1d20+4)[19] / (1d4+2)[4]
    Hobgoblin#3 Attack/Damage (1d20+4)[11] / (1d6+1)[4]
    Hobgoblin#2 Trip w/Whip (1d20)[8]

With their actions readied Thruffgar gets a swing and Zed can fire his bow, as I interpreted his post as a readied action as well.

7. - Top - End - #127

RangerGuy

As they don't surrender, Thruffgar simply replies, "Right then. Gave y' a chance." As he does so, his axe is suddenly wreathed in fire and a white-yellow holy glow.

With that, he attacks the one wielding the poker.

Spoiler: Thruffgar's Readied Action
    Show

Swift Action: Use Warpriest's Sacred Weapon ability on axe to make it Holy (+2) and Flaming (+1)
    Spend 2 uses of Fervor to increase bonus granted by Sacred Weapon by 1 via Creator's Bond

Attack #1: (1d20+14)[21]
    Damage #1: (1d8+4)[9]
    Fire Damage #1: (1d6)[6]
    Holy Damage #1 (if evil): (2d6)[3]

Attack #2: (1d20+9)[28]
    Damage #2: (1d8+4)[12]
    Fire Damage #2: (1d6)[1]
    Holy Damage #2 (if evil): (2d6)[11]

Not all hobgoblins are evil, but I figure there's a pretty decent chance that -these- ones are since they're torturing an elf.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gar

Gar fakes a low attack and then thrusts high at the closest hobgoblin. "Have it your way I guess."

Spoiler
    Show

Forgot to roll will save vs bane from previous encounter : (1d20+5)[16] vs DC 13

Init: (1d20+7)[10]

Move action: Bluff/feint in combat (1d20+16)[25] vs 10+BAB+wis bonus or 10+sense motive (which ever is higher)

Attack: (1d20+12)[13] (-1 if Bane landed) vs flat footed AC if feint worked.
    Damage: (1d6+7)[13]

Sneak attack if bluff worked: (4d6)[16] damage + 4 pts of bleeding/round, and Disoriented effect : -2 on attack or -4 to attack Gar.

AC: 22

(Just posting my turn now, as I have time.)
    Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2019-05-07 at 01:57 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

The Hobgoblns all go down without much trouble. The last remaining hobgoblin has the fight go out of him, but trapped as he is, offers no surrender and instead kicks the bucket of hot coals towards you all and again tries to trip Gar, his fear showing at the Thruffgar's incredibly powerful blow that near cleaved his ally in twain. Nobody sees any keys but notices that the door to the cell is not locked after all, just shut with a heavy chain wound into a knot. "Thank you, my friends. Bless Elorin for sending you. I would lead you to the orb, but my strength has deserted me. All I know is that the orb rests behind a magic wall, but I know not where the wall itself is. Be quick, but beware-Bonegnasher has two wolves for his pets, and many orcs and goblins serve him."
    Though visible battered and bruised, the elf has a regal bearing to himself. Now would probably be a good time to get some answers from Taran, for who else would know Elorin sent you.

EXP for Hobgoblins: 143

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

"You must be Taran. I believe we met this Bonegnasher's wolves outside." Obret then casts his healing hex on the elf. "I'm not sure what orb is worth your life, but I wouldn't mind helping find it. For a few good meals, of course. Although I would be happier if your either stayed with us or escaped: I'd like Elorin's offer for finding you."

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Zed gives a nod as he listens. "Any idea of the layout or how many more he had at his command?"

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gar

Gar searches the bodies for anything of value. "Might be safer sticking with us till we find the orb thingy or make our way out. What happened to you? Any other survivors? What exactly is a 'bone gnasher?"

Spoiler
    Show

how hurt does the elf appear to be after being healed by the hex? I got a wand of cure light, might be worthwhile topping the elf up a bit.

If there are no real weapons on the corpses, Gar will hand the d6 weapon to the elf (the poker?)

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Taran smiles his thanks to obrete when he uses his healing hex. Some of the wounds Taran has fade away with the burst of healing power. "I feel much better now. Give me a weapon or another shot of that healing light and I'm good to accompany you" Taran looks at the rest of you, as if waiting for you to ask some more questions. He looks to the party and gives a nod of respect to the the group before answering questions. "I unfortunately do not know exactly who Bonegnasher is, only that he is a well.. he. I was set upon by the barghests just outside the keep, they knocked me out and dragged me in here and I've been in this room ever since. All that I get in regards to who or what Bonegnasher may be is they refer to him as 'the boss' or by name. Its definitely a rule by fear, but also promises of glory. After all if Bonegnasher manages to get the Dragon Orb, we are all in for a very bad time." Taran jabs the spear forward a bit getting use to moving his arms again before continuing. "From what Ive been able to glean he has a very loyal pair of barghests and his dozen or so mixed force of goblins and orcs are relatively dependable. I am not sure about the kobolds or the lizardmen. And the hobgoblins were just mercs." His voice becomes more serious as he says his final words on the matter "Somebody has to find the orb before Bonegnasher. It's too dangerous to stay lost. If Bonegnasher doesn't find it, some other evil shall, we must find the orb and take it back to Elorin, That's the only way it can be safe."

Taran takes the offered poker, its end still red hot. He thrusts and swings it a few times to get the feel of the weapon before smiling at the irony of it all.

EXP for healing Taran 150

OOC: Taran is an Aristrocrat 1/fighter2(learned duelist)/wizard5(spell sage) by the way. He has the robes on his back and that's it. No spells as he has been tortured for the last couple of days. he is at 19/36 hp.
    Last edited by ngilop; 2019-05-11 at 12:26 AM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Zed rubs his chin, pondering for a few moments. "Well, it'll seem we be in o' bit of a quandary. Our job 'us to git ya back, safe'n'sound. Iffin' we go an' find this hear orb... well, we might not get paid. But, though, iffin' dees guys get a dragon 'rb, well, itta be'a bad time fer all, eh?" he turns and looks at his companions for a moment, letting it sink in, before continuing. "Well, watcha say lads, git on or be gittin' on?"

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gar

"Actually quite the opposite if I remember right. No offense Taran, but he was never the mission. It was to stop the orb from falling into evil hands."

Gar hands a wand to Obret. "Maybe heal him a bit more?"

Spoiler
    Show

Gar is suggesting using 3 charges from one of his wands of cure wounds to Taran to top him up a bit more.

Assuming no objections:

(3d8)[14] Hp healed.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Taran stands a little more straight as the wand is used. After Zed asks his question about what to do Taran says in a serious matter. "My life is not important if the Dragon Orb falls into the wrong hands, and rest assured whoever or whatever this bonegnasher is, is most certainly the wrong hands."

He steps into the old chapel and then adds "I have no ability to cast spells as my spell book has been taken from me, but I can still fight. While it is not as good as an actual weapon, the poker should do well enough until I get one, or my own gear is found."

OOC: remember there is a door in the south eastern corner of the chapel as well as the one in the western wall you came through from the main hall.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thank you Gar," Obret says to being able to save spells.

Upon hearing Taran wishes to stay with the party, Obret sighs. "Fine, but try to stay out of danger."

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

"I'd offer ya whateva weapon I had 'sides me bow... but it's me feet an' hands, so de be don'ya no good." Zed says with a grin. "Inda mean time, keep in da back wiff me and I'll keep ya as safe as I can."

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gar

"That's settled then." Gar says.

Spoiler
    Show

Not 100% sure on the layout in my head but Gar will lead the group to the other door off the chapel which I think is the nearest unexplored room from their current position(?)

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

This room is very strange. Once it must have been a cellar dug into the side of the hill, but now it looks more like a mine. The walls and floor are all dug up and wooden beams are wedged into them to keep the ceiling from collapsing. In a dark corner of the room, a group of five orcs is digging pits in the floor. The orcs are busy digging an dnot paying attention to anything else. One orc, which appears to be the leader, says to the rest, [Orcish] "Ho, there! Work harder, ya mangy dogs!" It cracks a whip. "get to it, ya scum!"

OOC: you guys get 1 action of surprise before initiative.
    Map: Battle Map tab

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Zed stealthily moves into the room as he keeps his bow trained on the orcs, nodding to Taran to move into the corner.

Spoiler
    Show

Zed
    AC = 19 ; Current = 19
    HP = 75 ; Current = 75

5 foot step just inside the door but out of the way and ready an action to shoot if anyone makes a hostile move or yells. If not, move to I-3

Readied action
    (1d20+15)[20] - includes point blank shot

Damage
    (1d8+4)[6]

Crit 20/x3
    (1d20+15)[18]
    (2d8+8)[18]

Effects ~
    Giant Hunter = +1 to hit and +2 to track

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Without a word, Obret drops an Aggressive Thundercloud on top of one of the orcs, preferably in the middle of the group without being over 60 feet from the the door, and biased toward an orc behind the one giving orders.

Show
    (3d6)[10] lightning damage, a DC 17 dex save negates.

I'm assuming my description puts the cloud on the orc at E4

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Zed quietly moves into the room his arrow knocked and ready for release. Obret steps up to unleash a spell and a miniature stormcloud appears over the head of an orc. The orcs immediately stop their digging and look up, seeing the group for the first time. They heft their picks and advanced towards the group.

Spoiler: Monster Actions
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20)[13]
    Orc leader att/dmg: (1d20+6)[20]/(1d6+2)[8]
    Orc 1 att/dmg: (1d20+6)[13]/(1d6+2)[7]
    Orc 2 att/dmg: (1d20+6)[15]/(1d6+2)[8]
    Orc 3 att/dmg: (1d20+6)[24]/(1d6+2)[6]
    Orc 4 att/dmg: (1d20+6)[25]/(1d6+2)[7]

24. - Top - End - #144

RangerGuy

Thruffgar, lacking any type of subtlety, rushes into the room to C4, adopting a position to protect the rest of the group from the impending onslaught of the orcs.

"'Ave at 'em, lads!"

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gar

"Guess they aren't surrendering." Gar observes.

Gar moves into the room and stabs at the nearest enemy. He does his best to stay between the orcs and the elf. "what are you digging for?" Gar wonders.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+8)[15] Using combat expertise to add 4 to AC
    Damage: (1d6+7)[13]

AC: 26

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'll ask," Obret offers. [Orcish] "What are you digging? Your graves?" He casts his evil eye on on the leader (the one that spoke), and directs the aggressive thundercloud into whichever orc is in the back of their formation.

Show
    Initiative: (1d20+2)[19]

DC 17 reflex save or (3d6)[8] for the first orc in the cloud's path. Assuming that orc is within 20 feet of where the cloud was.

And the leader gets -4 to AC, DC 19 will save to reduce to 1 round from 8.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

The orcs advance is stopped by Thruffgar interposing himself in their direct path, he take some blows, but the combined offensive of the party manages to down the orcs in short order, the last one glares at Obret saying [Orcish] "Half-breed" as his dying words. Though most of you cannot understand what he said, you can tell from the way it was spat like venom it was not a compliment. The dwarves look at the area the orcs were digging and something amazing happens, they are both stumped by stone. They spend a while to check our and inspect the walls where the orcs were digging and notice that there are no marks on the wall at all. Zed searches the bodies and finds 45 gold and 2 potions of cure light wounds at 3rd level.

OOC: Sorry for being away, between the weekend being a holiday and gitp randomly crashing (or was it just the internet?) on me in the middle of my two previous attempts to post it was frustrating. To not put the game in a funk I fast forward a round

EXP for Orcs: 143

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gar

Gar examines the room carefully both the ground the walls.

Spoiler
    Show

He'll take 20 on his search for a 30 total.

Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2019-05-31 at 03:58 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

If/when Obret is told about the walls having no marks. "What about their equipment?"

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Perception? (1d20+4)[16]

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

As the others inspect the bodies and the room, Zed moves towards the other doorway in the room, peering through for any hints of danger.

Spoiler
    Show

Move to AG-3.
    Sorry, have another week or so of being behind at work.