New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: (Pathfinder) Against the Ogres

The wall and the orc's tools all look to be normal, but there is no denying the lack of obvious digging, other than the pile of dirt and rocks. The orcs, most likely too dumb and/or ignorant to notice.

Zed looks through the open window in the door into what appears to be a kitchen. Cluttered and smelly. It is furnished with a table, a big fireplace, and shelves loaded with junk. Three ragged humans are working at the table standing with their backs to the door are five goblins. These are armed, except for one who has a whip. it is clear the humans are slaves. The one with a whip cracks it and says to a slave "You there! Get to work, or you'll be the ogre's next meal!"

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

"Bizarre," Obret muses. "Either the tools or picks should have some marks," he trails off. When he noticed Zed peering over, he quiets down, waiting to hear what is in the next room.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Waving the others down, he nods towards the window as he creeps back to the others. "A few 'uman slave bein' bossed 'round by some goblins... 5 o'em. Say we rush'em... take'em out 'fore they know what hittem, eh?" he whispers to the others.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gar

"aye, I'm ready. The more little groups we fight now the better." Gar whispers. He readies his weapon

"This is an odd room, we can revisit it later. " Gar decides.

Gar waits eagerly for someone to fling the door open before charging in.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Zed sets an arrow on his bow, barely any tension, as he then lifts his free hand up holding 3 fingers up as he makes it clear to everyone before counting down and, when the last finger drops, he reaches over and opens the door, waiting for the others to rush in while he gives cover.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Obret pulls out his crossbow, preparing to loose himself.

OOC: if the thundercloud hasn't expired, it'll stay in reserve. No point having it hit a party member.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Callan tumbles out of the way as best he can as an ogre kicks at him. His already cracked ribs send spikes of radiating pain in protest from the movement, but the move wasn't as bad as letting the blow connect. He'd already taken a few such kicks this morning. Dashing off before the brute could try again, he makes for the larder to get the drinks he'd been sent to retrieve.

His capture had been humiliating, the band he had been with were badly exhausted from fighting that day, and Callan had already spent nearly every erg of power he'd had. He certainly hadn't lasted long when the ogres fell on them. The monsters decided that the tiny man was amusing, and so he got to live for the moment. But he could barely go a dozen feet down here before encountering someone that wanted him to dance, or make pretty lights, or just to slap him around.

The sorcerer's full reserves have since been replenished, but even if he wasn't killed the moment he started to make use of it, the only way expending his repertoire could deal with this entire bunch is if they patiently and perfectly lined up for convenient efficiency. He'd need a distraction, an opening, something. Perhaps some of his companions still lived, they might be among the slaves they've got digging. But he'd not been allowed down that way to find out, at least not yet. He needed to be patient, but he'd never been good at that, and the ale he'd been able to steal for himself in this place tasted simply atrocious...

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Bit of an introduction here. I think it would be appropriate for Gris to be another survivor of the group mentioned, with Callan and her being at least acquaintances, but that's up to you TbK. DM, by all means insert me into the story wherever, this is not meant to limit where Callan is at or what he's up to at the particular moment the other PCs arrive on the scene, just establish what he's been up to in general and his current thinking.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-06-25 at 09:01 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

"Leave 'im alone!"

A horrible rattling of many, many chains echoes across the walls as the other recent prisoner and slave finally comes to. She isn't happy. And neither are the goblins, least of all the ones who were hoping she'd die already. The slight, olive skinned elf-blooded girl has silver hair and feral green eyes and a split lip, her limbs wrapped almost entirely in chains connected to more, overkill bindings keeping her from moving little more than a few feet in her corner. They aren't masterful bindings; they were hasty, awkward and meant to weigh her down in place. All the monster-kin know was that she came out of the woods when Callan's party was set upon, and brought the wrath of an animal god down upon them. Who knows how many she took out before someone finally hit her in the back of the head with a rock, and even that didn't kill her. The moment she came to, she tried attacking again--they weren't sure where she kept getting those claws, but finally after several beatings, they got her into place. ...Before she bit one goblin's throat out.

Now nobody is willing to come near her as she snarls and pulls in vain at her bindings....

"Fight me instead, cowards! See what you get tryin' to kick!"
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2019-06-27 at 09:09 PM.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Zed, hearing the yelling on the other side of the door, opens it and moves out of the way, giving room for the others to enter while then providing cover.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Once the door is open, Obret looses his crossbow at the goblins. "Slavers," he mutters angrily.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    (1d20+7)[14] for (1d8+2)[5]
    on a 27 or 26 total: (1d20+7)[20] to confirm.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gar

Gar rushes in the room and charges the nearest slaver hoping to catch him off guard.

"Freedom for all!" he says as he stabs wildly.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+12)[31]
    Damage: (1d6+6)[12] + sneak attack (4d6)[12] +4 points bleeding + Disorientate -2 to attack penalty, -4 vs Gar

AC: 22
    HP: 67

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

To everyone's shock in the kitchen a dwarf opens the door to the mine, allowing a half orc to fire a crossbow, dropping a goblin while a human quickly rushes in and drops another with a very vicious blow. The Goblins that remain are still a bit sluggish in their response, but it is most certainly an aggressive one with murderous intent. Two go after gar, the one with a whip dropping it, and pulling a sword the other hacking with a axe while the third one steps into the doorway to stab at Obret

Spoiler: Goblin actions
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20)[10]
    G1 Attack/Damage (1d20+3)[9]/(1d4+1)[3]

G3 Attack/Damage (1d20+3)[11]/(1d6+1)[7]

G4 Attack/Damage (1d20+3)[14]/(1d6+1)[2]

Map: Battle Map Tab

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Callan drops the tankard he'd been filling as the room explodes into violence. As the shock fades, a grin steals over his face. This sure as heck looks like an opportunity to him! Stepping a little to the side for a clear line of fire, the halfling claps his hands. A stream of lightning courses out, streaming over and through the two goblins attacking the human that had rushed in.

Show
    Initiative [/roll]1d20+8[/roll]
    Modified Burning hands spell, DC 16 reflex save for half of (5d4+5)[16] damage on both G1 and G3
    Cone spells at odd angles are tricky, I'd prefer to stay out of arms reach and cast from H7 if I can hit both targets without involving friendlies. If not, I'll step up to G7 to be sure of it.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Obret chuckles as the blow fails to connect. "Skilled slavers you are," stepping aside as a thundercloud enters the goblin's space.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Obret's taking a 5-foot step to F13, and then slamming his Aggressive Thundercloud on the goblin for (3d6)[8] electricity damage (DC 17 Dex save negates). By my count we're fewer than eight rounds since the first one was cast. If this is incorrect please let me know, and I'll subtract a second casting from Obret's prepared spells.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

As Obret clears the doorway, Zed step in and fires a barrage as he quips "They be slave ta death, eh?"

Spoiler
    Show

Zed
    AC = 19 ; Current = 19
    HP = 75 ; Current = 75

5 foot step to E-13

Fire at G4 until he drops or he runs out of shots, then G1 then G3
    1st attack
    (1d20+15)[18]- includes point blank shot

Damage
    (1d8+4)[12]

Crit 20/x3
    (1d20+15)[25]
    (2d8+8)[21]

2nd attack
    (1d20+15)[17]- includes point blank shot

Damage
    (1d8+4)[6]

Crit 20/x3
    (1d20+15)[28]
    (2d8+8)[19]

3rd attack
    (1d20+10)[28]- includes point blank shot

Damage
    (1d8+4)[8]

Crit 20/x3
    (1d20+10)[14]
    (2d8+8)[20]

4th attack
    (1d20+10)[19]- includes point blank shot

Damage
    (1d8+4)[12]

Crit 20/x3
    (1d20+10)[23]
    (2d8+8)[13]

Effects ~
    Giant Hunter = +1 to hit and +2 to track

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Gri wasn't expecting a cadre of heavily armed heroes to burst in at just this moment, but the little barbarian will gladly take it.

Though she can't do much chained up as she is, with the gobbos now occupied with a much more immediate threat, she starts pulling on her chains trying to break free without any chance of reprisal from her captors.

Show

Flat escape artist check:

(1d20+5)[22]

You never know...
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

The chained woman manages to break her bonds just as Obret's thundercloud finishes off the last goblin. The non-combatant slaves huddle together terrified of what just transpired. But soothing words form the elf lord manages to calm them down.

The party and the capable now former slaves discuss for a few moment, what has happened in the keep so far. Bonegnasher, is an ogre with large wolves as pet. You have mananged to kill anything else in this ruin that would put up any resistance, the little you got.

You quickly go in the armory north of the kitchen and gather the halfling and barbarian's belongings. The halfling who introduces himself as Callan, mentions that the ogre keeps the important treasure in the old vault, which is the most likely place that Taran's spellbook and other belongings are.

EXP for Goblins: 143

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The halfling before the group is ragged in appearance, visibly bruised, and favoring one side as he moves, but still he raises himself up as high as he can stand to introduce himself, "I thank you adventurers, friendly faces down here are most welcome. I am Callan Stormrider, sorcerer extraordinaire, wielder of the elements, and slayer of the great gnarled beast of Harddin Forest among many other deeds. Might I inquire as to the names of my rescuers?"

Later, when his gear is reacquired, Callan quickly dresses in a purple robe and a blue cloak with silver striping. He looks visibly improved just from being dressed properly again, "So, yeah, that little burst of static a bit ago? There's a lot more where that came from. Just keep them from beating my face in any more than they have been and I'll keep frying them. Deal? Oh, uh, also, I don't suppose you spotted a big lizard poking around the entrance of this place? Sticky's a companion of mine, but she is a bit shy around strangers."

Show
    For the players, and the DM in case he missed it on my sheet, Callan's paid for a well trained riding gecko. Not the fastest of mounts, but few others have a climb speed.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

Ignoring her rescuers, the girl-- a half elf, one can tell by her pointed ears and ice green eyes-- methodically unwinds the chains still clinging to her limbs. She drags them, and the corpse of one goblin in particular that she personally singled out to the closest window where she affixes the chains--both to something nailed down and the goblin's neck before heaving the dead greenskin out the window to let it swing. She seems gruesomely satisfied with her work.

She offers no explanation, not a word until she ducks into the armory, returning with (presumably) her gear, wrapping a loose black turban over her hair and ears and checking all of her other accouterments. Oddly, she is wearing what are clearly men's clothes, tied off or wrapped down so she's not completely swimming in them; only her boots look made for her. Other than a dagger and a bow she suspiciously carries no real melee weapon. Just a piercing feline glare she gives to the heroes.

"Thanks. Wanna come with me ta kill that ogre? Gonna be awful sorry his goons trussed me up." she has the accent of someone who is neither too foreign nor local, a dialect that implies she clearly doesn't speak often or has few people to talk to.

Show

(1d20+8)[10] A perception check of the armory to see if there's anything of interest for Gri. A better knife than the one she has, that sorta thing.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

"Aye, lad, no worries. Hope ya'do it iffn I was stuck in da same spot, eh?" Zed says as he leans on his bow slightly. As the girl makes her way about, the dwarf gives her an arched eyebrow but says nothing. He had no idea what her captors might have done or whether she was in her right mind or not. As she speaks, he looks at the others with a shrug of his shoulders. "Sounds like a plan, ta my mind." With a small bow to the pair, he says "Khuzed Gilkor at ya service. Everyone call me Zed, though."

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

"And I am Obret," the half-orc adds as he moves the thundercloud out of the doorway and into a corner. "Are any of you injured?"

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Callan shrugs, "I've felt much better, but its just some bruises and scrapes, nothing that won't heal on its own if I get the chance for some real rest. They've had poor Gri there trussed up for days. I don't know what she did when they brought her in but they took no chances. All I had in reserve when I got caught were a few cantrips and other tricks, spent them dealing with a hobgoblin tribe, so that's all they thought I could do and I was left relatively free."

"Shall we get going? I'm eager to breathe fresh air again, if that's not going to happen until king stinky falls, then lets go do that."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-07-09 at 05:14 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

"Gri is my name, but I'm also the Ghost Tiger." she says, before huffing at Callan. "Was not! Killed a dire wolf alpha Bonegnasher's men tried to catch days ago, got caught, broke free, killed more of his men, got caught again... I haven't been chained up all three days in a row! she motions to the open window "Little creep over there kept trying to cut my hair but I bit him in the junk and ever since they wouldn't come too close 'cept to kick me or club me." She pouts. "Wasn't here this time more than a few hours."

She certainly isn't happy about her repeated imprisonment (and, from her expression, having to bite the goblin's gobs) but her admittance to being the Ghost Tiger may turn some heads. The name is of a legendary barbarian, close to a folk hero, really, famous for slaying man-eaters be they monsters, giants, or abberations. An elf barbarian could conceivably still be alive after all their deeds became legend, but Gri seems... almost too young to be the barbarian she's claiming to be. Though it may not be the best time to challenge her on that, asking about it may warrant future discussion.
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2019-07-09 at 10:24 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Oh, my mistake, I guess that's what the hubbub was about earlier. They didn't exactly tell me much."

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Obret closes his eyes and rubs the bridge of his nose before turning to the halfling. "Callan was it? Well, I'm glad you're okay." He then turns to Gri. "If you do end up injured, I would like permission to heal you. Without being bitten," he adds with a smirk.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2019-07-11 at 10:39 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

The group spends a few moments getting to know each other as best they can for now. Gri takes a second to look about the armory and does not see anything worth much, everything seems to be the arms and armor of the original keep's inhabitants. You take the northern door out of the kitchen and are greeted with 2 separate ways to go, continue on straight with a door in the southern wall right at a dead end. Or, turn North, a door is set immediately on the left side and further down the hall a door stands on the right.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Callan starts pointing, "Okay, so the near door goes to what they kept calling the shines room. I'm going to guess that means treasure, but these are ogres and goblins after all and I haven't seen it for myself so I make no guarantees as to the quality of any treasure over there. Next one up goes to the big guy's room, Bonegnasher himself should be there. The one at the end of the hall goes to the main room, chances are the bulk of the remaining forces are within."

"Up to you guys, but I think I would prefer to hit the main room first, that way there's no chance that bunch will figure out something is up and hit us from behind."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-07-13 at 06:09 AM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

"Ay, seems loik a good plan ta me. Hit'em 'fore they know we be there, eh? Hit the main group instead of getting weakened an havin'em attack at da rear." Zed says as he checks his string and gives a nod of approval

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

Gri nods her approval.

"We can loot the shinies later. But any casters in the main room? Mage or healer? Let me go in first and I'll get the drop on 'em. If The Boss storms in, you lot finish off the minions and I'll keep him busy, too."

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

As you guys make t to the main room, Zed, Gar, and Obret realize this was the room where they encountered the barghests.

OOC: I am pretty sure that you guys skipped over a sentence in my post with the final outcome of the goblin fight. Everything else in bonegnasher's rentinue has already been dealt with except for the ogre and his wolves